The "WOOT WOOT we are proud of you, Andy!" Cincy thread. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "WOOT WOOT we are proud of you, Andy!" Cincy thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Deboogle!.
08-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Please Andy, just don't suck.

(i felt this title was appropriate, but will certainly entertain something better)

Jennay
08-11-2005, 12:54 AM
:(.

Tytta!.
08-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Yeah, we beg.

acoffeygirl
08-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Pretty please! With sugar on top and a cherry!

snaillyyy
08-11-2005, 12:57 AM
:boxing: Just dont!

missbungle
08-11-2005, 01:27 AM
Andy PLEASE get your mojo back soon!!!!

Saturn66
08-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Pls... pls.... pls....

Havok
08-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Grip it and RIP it, no pansy shit at Cincy please.:D

Fumus
08-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Rumor has it Andy was out partying before the Mathieu match...he was hitting up the clubs in Canada. Maybe he though if the match was at night he wouldn't be hung over anymore?

guida
08-11-2005, 01:53 AM
...or else! :shout:

Seriously Andy, just do the best you can, it's not much to ask now, is it? :confused:

Breakaway
08-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Go fight win Andy! :yeah:

But in your vocabulary it seems you dont know that just "Stop. give up. and lose" :rolleyes: :sad:

tangerine_dream
08-11-2005, 02:16 AM
^^
What Naldo said: Grip it and Rip it! :banana: And as I always say: Tabula Rasa. Let's wash the slate clean of Toronto, its over and done with, and we're starting fresh in Cincy. Only good memories there, Andy. Get in the zone and play well. :bounce:

Welcome Missbungle :wavey:

Noelle
08-11-2005, 02:26 AM
:kiss: We love you Andy! Now go kick some butt, or else... :armed:

Fee
08-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Dear Andrew,
Don't make me hunt you down and kick your ass. It will take me away from doing that to the drippy trolls that stop by every once in a while to pollute this forum. :D

Love your guts.

End.

Breakaway
08-11-2005, 06:39 AM
you know this cracked me up, no? d:

Amber is that a tight one? :confused: :p

Golfnduck
08-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Let's go Andy!! Kick some asses in Cincy!!! When does the draw come out?

Deboogle!.
08-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Looks like the draw's made tomorrow (Friday) at 4:30pm Eastern :)

Golfnduck
08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks Deb :hug:

blosson
08-11-2005, 05:10 PM
So, Andy is numbuh 4 or 5 now?

Andy, get out of the hole and do something useful NOW!

Deboogle!.
08-11-2005, 05:25 PM
He's 5

partygirl
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
5 :eek: (damn it)

-c'mon andy....now is the time to get it started
i, am not pleased with this so called #5

andyroxmysox12191
08-11-2005, 07:03 PM
What everyone else said.

Please find your head Andrew.

tangerine_dream
08-11-2005, 07:06 PM
If Andy does the unthinkable and wins Cincy where will he be ranked after that?

Seleshfan
08-11-2005, 07:10 PM
5 :eek: (damn it)

-c'mon andy....now is the time to get it started
i, am not pleased with this so called #5

Well he's 5 in the rankings. You'd be pleased with his 7.5 in his pants. :)

Deboogle!.
08-11-2005, 07:19 PM
If Andy does the unthinkable and wins Cincy where will he be ranked after that?:shrug: it could depend on how other players do, too. If he'd done well at Montreal and ALSO Cincy, he had a real shot to get 3 before the USO.

partygirl
08-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Well he's 5 in the rankings. You'd be pleased with his 7.5 in his pants. :)

i doubt the 7.5....but i know id be pleased, he could look like a ken doll...im there. :wavey: :angel:

andy is my modern ken doll.

blosson
08-11-2005, 07:58 PM
:shrug: it could depend on how other players do, too. If he'd done well at Montreal and ALSO Cincy, he had a real shot to get 3 before the USO.

All the other top players (apart from Nadal) haven't played for so long and the unthinkable could even happen :lol:

Even more unthikable thant winning Cincy is winning USO :lol: and further unthinkable is winning TMS, can he still be number 2?

Ah, us fans.

Corinna
08-11-2005, 08:39 PM
go and kick a$$es :yeah: :angel:
have a good preparation for the USOpen

partygirl
08-11-2005, 09:09 PM
andy quote from ar.com-

Q: Does the crocodile put teeth in your game?
AR: No, just keeps me company (smiling).

Q: Did it do much for you?
AR: Yeah, I was fully satisfied with the feeling.

i could just see that on a shirt.
instead of the dumb ass lacoste Tshirt he wears to practice in, the one with the pic of the red poloshirt and the big croc and some other crap on it

instead plain white shirt with the quote-

"the crocodile keeps me company."
(in big lettering)

...i should be a designer. :toothy:

Seleshfan
08-11-2005, 09:20 PM
...i should be a designer. :toothy:

Can I be your partner? I have some ideas for LaCoste shirts too.

Picture it. the Croc logo with the tag lines:

"You wanna bite?"
"Never bite off more than you can chew"
"Wanna see my croc?"
"My croc is bigger than yours"

Jennay
08-11-2005, 09:33 PM

"You wanna bite?"
"Never bite off more than you can chew"
"Wanna see my croc?"
"My croc is bigger than yours"
:haha: :haha:

Le cooche croc!

partygirl
08-11-2005, 09:36 PM

"wanna see my croc?"

:worship:

im quite aware of you inventiveness....
i could use a partner like you

partygirl
08-11-2005, 10:20 PM
:topic: i didnt know where to post this and its not on television so i didnt want to put it in the andy on tv thread,
its too early for a us open thread, and didnt want to start a new thread just for this, so forgive me.

(from tennis week- oddly enough its dated in the future :wavey: )

Lexus Lines Up Legends For New U.S. Open Site

Photo By Michael Baz By Tennis Week
08/12/2005

Rod Laver, Andy Roddick, Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Jim Courier, James Blake, Nick Bollettieri, John Newcombe, Brad Gilbert, the Bryan brothers, Bud Collins, Luke Jensen and Tennis Week publisher Eugene Scott are all planning to take a trip to your PC during the U.S. Open — courtesy of Lexus.

The esteemed collection of standout players and coaches are among the guests who will appear on the daily Lexus.com U.S. Open Show during the U.S. Open, which begins on August 29th. Hosted by Barry McKay, the Lexus.com U.S. Open Show debuts on Monday, August 29th at 6 p.m. with King appearing as the opening-day guest. The interviews will be streamed for broadband.

In addition to the daily interview segment, the Lexus site will feature scores, schedules and an archive of interviews and news.

andy's is to be on for his birthday AUGUST 30TH @ 6pm eastern
http://usopen.lexus.com/

i know its like 2 1\2 weeks away but just a heads up for my peeps, if you didnt know....i think it was announced like an hour or so ago

blosson
08-11-2005, 10:29 PM

"Wanna see my croc?"

Wouldn't be more appropriate to say:

"Do you like my frock? Go down for the croc."

Seleshfan
08-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Wouldn't be more appropriate to say:

"Do you like my frock? Go down for the croc."

I don't think so. I don't ever want to see the word frock on Andy's garb. I could settle for a sock. Like "A Jock with a croc on his sock" something like that.

blosson
08-11-2005, 10:44 PM
yes doc.

why do you have andy's booty in your av?

missbungle
08-12-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't think so. I don't ever want to see the word frock on Andy's garb. I could settle for a sock. Like "A Jock with a croc on his sock" something like that.

Or what about "A jock with a sock on his croc"

Deboogle!.
08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Andy's draw sort of blows

Melzer then probably Ferrero then Henman/Massu/Chela

Rafa's QF, Lleyton's semi

Andre, Marat and Roger on the other half.

SwiSha
08-12-2005, 10:16 PM

Melzer then probably Ferrero

Lets hope he has a better tourny here .. c mon Andy ;)

Breakaway
08-12-2005, 10:19 PM
This sucks.... :sad: :mad:

Jennay
08-12-2005, 10:23 PM

Melzer then probably Ferrero then Henman/Massu/Chela

Juanqui :sad: :sad: :sad:

Deboogle!.
08-12-2005, 10:24 PM
here's his full quarter
----------
(5) RODDICK, Andy (USA) vs MELZER, Jurgen AUT
Q vs FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP
MARTIN, Alberto ESP vs CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG
MASSU, Nicolas CHI vs (12) HENMAN, Tim GBR

(15) STEPANEK, Radek CZE vs (WC) MONFILS, Gael FRA
NOVAK, Jiri CZE vs BECK, Karol SVK
YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS vs SAULNIER, Cyril FRA
BERDYCH, Tomas CZE vs (2) NADAL, Rafael ESP

snaillyyy
08-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I have reached the point where I dont take anything for granted with his draw :lol: just come out firing from day one Andy please!

Deboogle!.
08-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Melzer hasn't played on the HC this summer, his last match was in Austria on clay a few weeks ago.

But Melzer is always tough for Andy no matter what the surface, even though Andy's like 4-0 against him (which seems to be meaningless lately, anyway).

So Andy better be expecting a tough match. And Melzer is a dropshot fiend so Andy won't be able to play from 10 years behind the baseline.

acoffeygirl
08-12-2005, 11:06 PM
And Melzer is a dropshot fiend so Andy won't be able to play from 10 years behind the baseline.

LMFAO.....in the midst of a crappy day....that made me smile!

Carito_90
08-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Well see, Andy had a pissay draw in Montreal and managed to blow it so maybe he DOES need a sorta 'tough' draw to begin with.
Though Rafa in quaters is not something I'm diggin too much, really.

Deboogle!.
08-12-2005, 11:34 PM
I mean, his projected draw would be:

Melzer, Ferrero, Henman, Nadal, Hewitt, Federer.

have fun with that, Andy :haha:

This time he has no excuse about the court/ball/conditions/fatigue/exhaustion/etcetcetc. He should already be there practicing, etc. Maybe he could have some sessions with some of the really top guys like Roger, Marat, Lleyton, who also should basically be there by now.

He is indeed 4-0 against Melzer, never lost a set, but they've had some tight sets/matches. So yea, Andy will obviously have to play well from the very beginning. Sigh.

blosson
08-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Wow what a draw. He will basically have to knock every top player to win this tourney. Yeah good luck dude.

Rafa is playing like crazy this week and might be tired next week. Do 19 year olds get tired?

acoffeygirl
08-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Do 19 year olds get tired?

I can't remember that far back sorry! ;)

Breakaway
08-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Wow what a draw. He will basically have to knock every top player to win this tourney. Yeah good luck dude.

Rafa is playing like crazy this week and might be tired next week. Do 19 year olds get tired?

Yes they do. I am 16 and I get tired easy, but then again I am really lazy. :o

tangerine_dream
08-13-2005, 01:02 AM
He's not having much luck knocking off the lower ranked players so maybe this is the kick in the ass he needs. :)

acoffeygirl :haha:

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 01:05 AM
from AR.com, something worthwhile for once :)
------
Coach’s Corner
2005-08-12
Coach Dean Goldfine speaks candidly on Andy’s summer, the unexpected loss in Montreal, and looks forward to Cincinnati:

“It’s been a solid summer so far. The grass court swing went about as well as Andy could have hoped. The loss to Roger in the Wimbledon final was disappointing but the way Andy came through some of his tough matches there was great. He was able to do some things that he hadn’t done in the past and came through with flying colors.

Indianapolis was a disappointing start to the summer hard court swing. It was a tournament that Andy could have won but, unfortunately, he didn’t have enough rest after Wimbledon and wasn’t ready mentally or physically to go all the way.

After a hard week of work both on and off the court in Austin, Andy arrived in Washington D.C. eager to play. He made it through a couple of tough matches and took home his 2nd Legg Mason title in 4 years. He had a great week of serving as he made over 70 percent of his first serves for the week and only lost his serve once during the tournament.

Montreal was a major disappointment but we’re in Cincinnati early to prepare for the ATP Championships that start on August 15th. I’m confidant that Andy will rebound from this week’s loss and have a great week here in Cincinnati.”

It is always great hearing from Coach Goldfine and getting an exclusive look at Andy on tour.

Go Andy!

Havok
08-13-2005, 01:38 AM
A Roddick with his head on straight is easily into the semis. Now, though, who knows what you'll get. I fully expect him to hold his seed however. Drawing Nadal as his QF opponent is good, and being in EWT's half of the draw is good as well. Henman is death so I don't even know if he'll make it to the 3r. Ferrero can be tricky, but once you win the 1st set vs him he'll die. Who knows what kind of shape Nadal will come here with. if he isn't fit and prepared, a hot Berdych can take him out. Blah just please play proper power tennis Andy.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Naldo, you're my hero.

andyroxmysox12191
08-13-2005, 01:51 AM
Mine too.

I truly don't expect him to go that far but I'm only doing it so I don't get my hopes up. Get your head together and find your game por favor :)

Jimnik
08-13-2005, 01:57 AM
Well, as I said in JC's forum, Roddick v Ferrero in the 2nd round will be a conflict of interest for me.

Setting aside the fact that either of them could loose in the 1st round:rolleyes: I suppose Andy would be expected to win. Amazingly their ONLY meeting was in the US Open final in 2003. In those days, Juan Carlos was world no.1 and Andy was world no.2. It seems like such a long time ago...

Havok
08-13-2005, 02:50 AM
:sad: Just thinking about your last statement puts you in a sucky mood.

Noelle
08-13-2005, 02:54 AM
A Roddick with his head on straight is easily into the semis.
My new avatar was inspired by this statement. :D :worship:

EDIT: Unfortunately there seems to be a lag time between my upload of the avatar and its actual display on this site. :rolleyes:

Jennay
08-13-2005, 03:44 AM
I hate the Andy/JC matchup, so torn if it were to happen. :crying2: :sad:
Rafa is just :worship:. I love his attitude, never giving up one point. Not one. :yeah: And yes, they do; look at the Rome Final. Nadal was exhausted, but he has a champion's mindset, and being tired wouldn't stop him.

Golfnduck
08-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Andy really needs a good result in Cincy. I can see him getting to the quarters vs. Rafa. I would love to see them play again on hardcourts. I think it would be a great test for Andy.

Breakaway
08-13-2005, 04:01 AM
Andy really needs a good result in Cincy. I can see him getting to the quarters vs. Rafa. I would love to see them play again on hardcourts. I think it would be a great test for Andy.

If I might add a small correction, Andy playing me would be a test for him. :o

Golfnduck
08-13-2005, 04:11 AM
If I might add a small correction, Andy playing me would be a test for him. :o
Well, maybe :p But I don't think Andy will be a :retard: this tournament. I think we'll see more of the shotmaking we saw in D.C.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 04:13 AM
Well, maybe :p But I don't think Andy will be a :retard: this tournament. I think we'll see more of the shotmaking we saw in D.C.Um. We better. End.

Breakaway
08-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Well, maybe :p But I don't think Andy will be a :retard: this tournament. I think we'll see more of the shotmaking we saw in D.C.

Maybe Andy found his game, I guess he left it in Indy or maybe he lost it sometime in 2003 :sad: . Okay I will stop my negativity (sp?) now.

Anyways I hope you are right. Go Andy :yeah:

Corinna
08-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, as I said in JC's forum, Roddick v Ferrero in the 2nd round will be a conflict of interest for me.

Setting aside the fact that either of them could loose in the 1st round:rolleyes: I suppose Andy would be expected to win. Amazingly their ONLY meeting was in the US Open final in 2003. In those days, Juan Carlos was world no.1 and Andy was world no.2. It seems like such a long time ago...
:sobbing: i hate it - but i will be happy if they play each other - because one of them will definitely make it into the next round :angel:

Tytta!.
08-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Corinna :hug: :hug: :hug:

PinkFeatherBoa
08-13-2005, 01:42 PM
This draw makes my heart sad. :sad:

Good luck to Andy though, start showing us that you're still a top-flight tennis player. :)

nobama
08-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Andy and Roger are there now. Andy explains part of the reason for his loss in Montreal....the balls.

Loss gives Roddick extended time here (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050813/SPT/508130374/1062)
W&S notebook

By Dustin Dow
Enquirer staff writer

MASON - The ironic drawback of winning a tournament was reinforced to Andy Roddick Tuesday in Montreal.

Two days after he won the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington, Roddick suffered a first-round upset loss in Tennis Masters Series Canada to Paul-Henri Mathieu.

"I don't think on any surface he should lose in the first round," said Roddick's coach, Dean Goldfine. "That being said, it's going to happen. And you try to minimize it."

Because of that, Roddick has been in Cincinnati since Wednesday, practicing for the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters, which begins Monday.

Part of the loss in Montreal had to do with preparation time, Roddick said, including getting used to the Penn tennis balls used for Masters Series events, as compared to the standard Wilson U.S. Open Series ball.

So although he'd rather be playing in Montreal, Roddick has appreciated the chance to practice here with Penn balls.

"Hopefully it will make a big difference," Roddick said after his practice Friday. "Switching balls is a little thing, but it makes a big difference when you're playing against such good players. I didn't feel clean with anything I was doing up there in Montreal. Obviously getting here and getting used to the conditions four, five days in advance will make a huge difference."

ANOTHER EARLY ARRIVAL: Roddick wasn't the only player to arrive at the tennis center well before the start of the tournament. No. 1 Roger Federer got in Thursday night and went straight to the courts for a 10 p.m. practice session.

He returned Friday for a two-hour practice.

partygirl
08-13-2005, 01:58 PM
he can do it! and everybody here knows it...... :armed:

the question is -

will the bastard DO IT?

All we are asking andy is for you to do your best....and make up for all those sore dissapointments, in one week!

NAWH! on second thought save that redemption dream for the god damn US OPEN (then you'll have 2 weeks!)....just try harder in cincy.

just try, lovely-

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Andy and Roger are there now. Andy explains part of the reason for his loss in Montreal....the balls.Yeah, he said this in his press conference after the match, too. :shrug: whatever. That doesn't explain his sluggishness and lack of desire in his eyes during that match, however. I can buy that it explains why his shots were flying on him - that makes sense. But if anything, that means he should've been playing with more focus and drive to try to compensate. And if he wasn't so low in confidence, I don't think the balls would've affected him as much.

Glad to hear that he went to Cincy straight away and didn't mess around - except that means this time he has no excuse and a much tougher draw. So put up or shut up, Andy.

The thing is - will he continue to do this in the future? He says the same thing happened 2 years ago when he was at DC through the semis and then went right to Montreal - but that he was able to scrap through (against Malisse 3-6 6-0 6-2). This time he wasn't able to scrap through - perhaps b/c of the lack of confidence now as opposed to two years ago when he could lose the first set but start adjusting to the conditions mid-match and use confidence to get himself through (something he can't seem to do at this point). So it's clear that he does well in DC but also clear that it affects the Masters in Montreal/Canada and the calendar is the same next year. Which is more important to him? Or does he have to learn to somehow be able to adapt to the different conditions more quickly?

More from the Cincy paper, in an article about the Top 5 guys. I don't know if the quotes are new or anything but this is the first I'd heard about what Andy did last year after he lost to Andre
-------------
Sport's top 5 make tourney a must-see

By Dustin Dow
Enquirer staff writer

"It's a weird time in tennis, and I don't remember anything like it," said Roddick, 22. "It's exciting. I don't think it gets enough attention. Each one of us has a completely different personality."

Roddick might be the most explosive of the bunch. Last year after losing to Agassi in a dramatic three-set semifinal here, Roddick demonstrated his passionate side.

After leaving Center Court, Roddick ran out of the locker room, through the players' lounge and the parking lot, and onto the golf course adjacent to the facility. There, he stomped around a putting green, letting out his frustration unbeknownst to media waiting for him in the interview room.

"When I was in the locker room, I didn't want people coming up to me saying it was 'OK,' " Roddick said. "I wanted to be alone so I took a jog in the dark. I've done it a couple times. I don't really have an explanation for it; I just wasn't ready to talk yet."

But talk he must, Roddick said, and so must the other four to enhance the sport's media presence. So it's no surprise Roddick is one of the biggest supporters of the U.S. Open Series and its campaign that aims to connect fans with players through marketing and television.

"With the top five players, it comes down to the effort that players want to put into making themselves visible," Roddick said. "We don't have a marketing machine so it's up to the players. How much do they want to put into going out and signing autographs, conducting interviews, just little things like that?"

blosson
08-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Oh, I knew I should have gonne jogging at Wimbledon Park in a skimpy outfit after Andy lost to Fed. Damn!

Corinna
08-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Corinna :hug: :hug: :hug:
awwww thank you hunney :hug: :hug:

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Yes, Corinna, I think we all agree that the draw blows!!

:hug:

LOL Blosson.... maybe next time (since chances are good there'll be another. :()

blosson
08-13-2005, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Roger jogging for a change...

Corinna
08-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Yes, Corinna, I think we all agree that the draw blows!!

:hug:

LOL Blosson.... maybe next time (since chances are good there'll be another. :()
:hug: yep :rolleyes:

does anybody know who made that draw? :armed:

partygirl
08-13-2005, 03:50 PM
I took a jog in the dark. I've done it a couple times. I don't really have an explanation for it.

sounds like some of his matches from this year.

nobama
08-13-2005, 03:53 PM
"With the top five players, it comes down to the effort that players want to put into making themselves visible," Roddick said. "We don't have a marketing machine so it's up to the players. How much do they want to put into going out and signing autographs, conducting interviews, just little things like that?"I disagree with Andy a bit here. Of course the players have to make an effort to sign autographs and give interviews, ect. And I think the top players are good about that (at least Andy and Roger are). But it's not enough. The ATP needs to do more in terms of promoting the sport and trying to reach a wider audience. The USTA has tried to with the whole "US Open Series" marketing campaign. And they've had success, viewership figures are up over previous years.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 03:54 PM
:hug: yep :rolleyes:

does anybody know who made that draw? :armed:I don't know but let's go get them!!!! :armed:

Yes, mirkaland, I agree that the tour could do better - they seem to leave it up to the tournaments to do it :o

tangerine_dream
08-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Am I the only who thinks this draw for Andy is pretty decent? It could've been worse, imo. He's lucky Roger's in the other half of the draw. lol

Melzer is like another version of X-man for Andy. As Naldo says, with his head screwed on straight, Andy should not have any problems with him.

Ferrero might be his first real ltest. JCF has slowly been getting his game back but if Andy also shows up with his game, he should also have no problems dispensing him.

Henman has been on life support recently and I think that's due in part to the fact that Tim has been hanging out on the baseline too much these days instead of doing his usual chip and charge act. Who knows where his confidence is these days? If Andy makes it this far he should be confident enough to beat up on Tiny Tim. :p

Nadal in the quarters is brilliant. I'm curious to see how Nadal handles Andy's firepower this time around. With all his success this year Nadal will have an ironlike confidence and mental strength going into his match against Andy. It will be like meeting up with another version of Hewitt, and if Andy can win against a hugely confident run-everything-down Nadal then it will be the perfect practice run before he meets up with....

Hewitt in the semis. This is exactly where Andy should be meeting Hewitt. He should learn that if he can get past Nadal then he can certainly get past Lleyton, and knowing how to beat the likes of Nadal and Hewitt is important before he can go on to take on....

Federer in the finals. :) Of course by this time Andy will likely be exhausted. :lol:

Good luck to Andy :banana:

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm curious to see how Nadal handles Andy's firepower this time around.which firepower is this - the one that's been gone for like months? Yea, those puffy forehands dropping in the service box are gonna be real effective against Rafa and Lleyton and Roger :o

blosson
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Hi Hi Andy Puffy-Roddick

:lol:

nobama
08-13-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't know but let's go get them!!!! :armed:

Yes, mirkaland, I agree that the tour could do better - they seem to leave it up to the tournaments to do it :oAnd it would be pretty tough to organize something where the top players are all together (like the tsunami rally for relief in Indian Wells) because of the schedule, and players being injured, pulling out, ect. I mean some of the players are in Cincy right now others are still playing in Montreal. So it's not like there's a lot of time in between tournaments to organize stuff for the fans. Hopefully they'll do something before the US Open. I know Andy always participates in Arthur Ashe kids day which is cool.

nobama
08-13-2005, 06:26 PM
which firepower is this - the one that's been gone for like months? Yea, those puffy forehands dropping in the service box are gonna be real effective against Rafa and Lleyton and Roger :oWell at least the balls will be the same this time.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 06:31 PM
And it would be pretty tough to organize something where the top players are all together (like the tsunami rally for relief in Indian Wells) because of the schedule, and players being injured, pulling out, ect. I mean some of the players are in Cincy right now others are still playing in Montreal. So it's not like there's a lot of time in between tournaments to organize stuff for the fans. Hopefully they'll do something before the US Open. I know Andy always participates in Arthur Ashe kids day which is cool.Well, they don't all have to do something together to be promoted effectively.

It's also common knowledge that not all of the top players are media-friendly.

tangerine_dream
08-13-2005, 06:35 PM
which firepower is this - the one that's been gone for like months? Yea, those puffy forehands dropping in the service box are gonna be real effective against Rafa and Lleyton and Roger :o
You're right, I was making the assumption that Andy would show up with his usual firepower. My mistake. :p

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 06:41 PM
You're right, I was making the assumption that Andy would show up with his usual firepower. My mistake. :p"usual firepower"?? Does he have this anymore? I mean, I'm semi-joking, but seriously, I haven't seen him hit hard and confidently over a stretch of time for months and months now :( And the type of shots he was hitting against mathieu didn't even work against mathieu so obviously they will not work against top 5 players. But Melzer is gonna be tough enough anyway. Andy may have never lost a set to him but he's been up a break on andy many times and just unable to close it out. It's not like Andy's always whitewashed him like Robredo.

I admire your optimism, I really really do lol

Winston's Human
08-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Am I the only who thinks this draw for Andy is pretty decent? It could've been worse, imo. He's lucky Roger's in the other half of the draw. lol

Melzer is like another version of X-man for Andy. As Naldo says, with his head screwed on straight, Andy should not have any problems with him.

Ferrero might be his first real ltest. JCF has slowly been getting his game back but if Andy also shows up with his game, he should also have no problems dispensing him.

Henman has been on life support recently and I think that's due in part to the fact that Tim has been hanging out on the baseline too much these days instead of doing his usual chip and charge act. Who knows where his confidence is these days? If Andy makes it this far he should be confident enough to beat up on Tiny Tim. :p

Nadal in the quarters is brilliant. I'm curious to see how Nadal handles Andy's firepower this time around. With all his success this year Nadal will have an ironlike confidence and mental strength going into his match against Andy. It will be like meeting up with another version of Hewitt, and if Andy can win against a hugely confident run-everything-down Nadal then it will be the perfect practice run before he meets up with....

Hewitt in the semis. This is exactly where Andy should be meeting Hewitt. He should learn that if he can get past Nadal then he can certainly get past Lleyton, and knowing how to beat the likes of Nadal and Hewitt is important before he can go on to take on....

Federer in the finals. :) Of course by this time Andy will likely be exhausted. :lol:

Good luck to Andy :banana:

I agree with you that Andy's draw is decent considering he is the #5 seed. He did not draw Federer or Hewitt for his potential QF opponent -- granted a recuperating Safin might have been a best-case scenario QF opponent. His potential R16 opponent is Henman, who is in one of the worst slumps of his career. While Melzer can be tricky at times, he is usually a head-case. There are no outright dangerous floaters with power serves.

IMO, Andy's draw could have been significantly harder.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 07:07 PM
IMO, Andy's draw could have been significantly harder.Oh yes, it definitely could have been worse. And actually some of the dangerous people in qualifying have already lost (namely Karlovic, but also Lux)

Poor James :sad: :hug:

tangerine_dream
08-13-2005, 07:21 PM
I admire your optimism, I really really do lol
Somebody's gotta keep the faith around here :p ;) :cool: :hug:

Golfnduck
08-13-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm going to be ballsy and bet all my vcash on Andy's first round match. I think he should be able to take Melzer. Hopefully Andy is used to the conditions by now, no excuses Andrew. Be ready to go and kick some asses.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Somebody's gotta keep the faith around here :p ;) :cool: :hug:I'll keep the faith as soon as Andy gives me a reason to :p

guida
08-13-2005, 07:59 PM
which firepower is this - the one that's been gone for like months? Yea, those puffy forehands dropping in the service box are gonna be real effective against Rafa and Lleyton and Roger :o

:haha::haha: :rolls: :rolls:

I can't believe I got to the point where I actually find this hilarious! :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 08:01 PM
:haha::haha: :rolls: :rolls:

I can't believe I got to the point where I actually find this hilarious! :rolleyes:Well, I did mean it to be somewhat funny... half-serious, half-funny I guess :p

guida
08-13-2005, 08:17 PM
I know, Deb. I guess what I meant was that things are certainly pretty awful when we can all joke about what's actually pretty concerning.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 08:20 PM
I know, Deb. I guess what I meant was that things are certainly pretty awful when we can all joke about what's actually pretty concerning.Yep yep....sad, but unfortunately true :(

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Here's a little bit about the rankings from Bob Larson's Cincy Preview. Gosh, Andy, you could seriously have made this much easier on yourself by winning a few matches in Montreal :( But if Andy were to do really well and Hewitt and Safin to lose pretty early, Andy *could* potentially by #3.
------
The competition starts at #3. Hewitt has it now, but he's only 300 points ahead of Safin, and 330 ahead of Roddick, and Washington was worth 200 points to him. Roddick lost in the Olympic third round, Safin in the second. Given that Hewitt has been sick, his performance seems far from guaranteed, and if he loses early, Safin could pass him with a quarterfinal. Roddick in all likelihood would need a semifinal.

Being Top Ten sounds nice, and #1 pays off in commercial endorsements -- but in practice, the single most important ranking is #4. There isn't much practical difference between being seeded #2 or #3; you're seeded for the semifinals and bound to face a very tough semifinal opponent either way. But the difference between #4 and #5 is quite big. And, this week, we have three players -- Hewitt, Safin, Roddick -- playing to avoid #5. The three are close enough together that, if one of them wins Cincinnati, he's assured the #3 spot. And if one loses early, especially if it's Safin or Roddick, he gets stuck at #5.

Roddick, as the guy seeded #5 at Cincinnati, has the worst draw. He opens against Melzer, then probably Juan Carlos Ferrero. Then, based on current form, he gets a big of a break: Henman or Massu or Martin or Chela. But then he has to face Nadal.

Golfnduck
08-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Okay, Andy, let's focus. Take one match at a time and try to get #3 back.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 10:06 PM
the (much more) pressing concern is #4. 3 and 4, there's no real difference, but 4 and 5 is huge b/c seeds 5-8 draw seeds 1-4 in the quarters but if he's 4, he'd be assured of not drawing Roger or Rafa til the semis. That's big.

andyroxmysox12191
08-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Is there any likely chance that Lleyton will lose in the first round? I forget who he drew.

Deboogle!.
08-13-2005, 11:03 PM
He has Andreev, who when he's playing well is tricky and has a huge FH but he's kinda a ball-basher headcase type and HC is not his best surface.... so I suppose anything is possible, but I doubt it

Andy's best hope for #4 is that Marat will be so rusty from his knee surgery that he'll lose early and then it might get to the point whree Andy would just have to last one more round than him to get the #4 for the USO.

andyroxmysox12191
08-13-2005, 11:08 PM
As much as I love Marat....please lose early...to Andmy maybe? d:

MissFairy
08-14-2005, 12:36 PM
the (much more) pressing concern is #4. 3 and 4, there's no real difference, but 4 and 5 is huge b/c seeds 5-8 draw seeds 1-4 in the quarters but if he's 4, he'd be assured of not drawing Roger or Rafa til the semis. That's big.
That is big. It's like if he draws Rafa in the 1/4s it'll be Bye Bye Birdy, and it he draws Fed in the 1/4s it's more like 'i have more chance of winning the lottery and dressing better than walking off court the victor'. Yikes, get to #4. NOW.

Jimnik
08-14-2005, 02:08 PM
I like Marat too. Maybe he can somehow make it through his section to the semis although Hrbaty/T Johansson have caused him problems in the past.

I'd rather see Hewitt at no.5 for the US Open. On his current form, maybe Rusedski can take Hewitt out in the 2nd round or maybe Gasquet in the 3rd round. If Nalbandian or Davydenko make it to the quarters, Hewitt's draw could be quite tough.

I don't think Andy's draw is so bad. I'm not even sure Nadal will make it to the quarters. He's playing the Montreal final today so there's a good chance he'll be too tired for the Cincy tournament, just like Rome-Hamburg earlier this year. Besides, the 2 Czech players in his section, Berdych and Stepanek, are good hard court players.

Kristen
08-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Firstly, a huge :ras: to Andy for what will take place in round one. What can I say, I'm not pessimistic, but I'm not optimistic either (I guess it makes me realistic?). Jürgen has been having some problems with his wrist, but is going ahead with Cincy anyway. He's not entering doubles so not sure what's going on there. He must be semi-confident. I wish I could say the same for me. *Jumps back on the ToJo bandwagon*

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 03:05 PM
aw Kristen :hug: A lot of us like Jurgen too, actually :) I hope his wrist is ok, I didn't realize he's having problems with it - I guess that explains why he hasn't played in a while :(

OK Jimnik, so Andy and Marat can both do really well in Cincy - meet in the final, and Hewitt can lose 1st round so Marat and Andy are 3 and 4 and Hewitt #5 and in Roger's QF. How's that? ;)

Blurb from the Cincy paper :)
--------------
Roddick, Federer bring out the fans
Western & Southern Financial Group Masters

The Enquirer

MASON - The main draw begins Monday, but already the top players are big draws at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters.

Fans found their favorite players practicing Saturday while qualifying matches went on at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.

More than 300 people crowded around Court 5 to watch No. 5 Andy Roddick practice with fellow American James Blake. Earlier, No. 1 Roger Federer commanded only a slightly smaller crowd for his practice session with Tommy Haas.

The match Roddick and Blake played was for practice, but fans took it a bit more seriously, clapping and cheering.

Blake hit a shot near the baseline and Roddick called it out, as did several fans.

"That's what I like about Cincinnati fans," Roddick said, loudly enough for everyone to hear. "They all have good eyes. I love it."

Practice sessions and qualifying matches continue today.

Dustin Dow

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 03:22 PM
More from the Cincy paper - they have a list of Who's hot and who's not and also 5 tourney favorites :o
----------
WHO'S NOT
Andy Roddick

He's still in the top five and he won the Legg Mason Tennis Classic title last week in Washington, D.C. But Roddick surprisingly lost in the first round in Montreal and hasn't been as dominant as usual on the hardcourts this summer. Frustration boiled over in Indianapolis in July when Roddick squandered a pair of match points in losing to Robby Ginepri in the quarterfinals. He lambasted the chair umpire for missing a critical line call during the match.
---------
FIVE FAVORITES

Andy Roddick

This isn't his best summer, but he was a semifinalist here last year and a champion in 2003. So it's difficult to side against Roddick, in part because he likes playing in Mason so much.

Shy
08-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Would it really make a difference if Roddick is in Roger QF draw or not?He can be in Rafa's QF too. We don't know how fit Roger is right now.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Oh, I think it would make a big difference, mentally if nothing else. andy knows he can beat Rafa at the USO, he doesn't know he can beat Roger at anything anywhere. Roger wouldn't be playing if he weren't fit. Roger is too smart for that. He will come out and win Cincinnati, just like he always does. lol.

MissFairy
08-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Roger is too smart for that. He will come out and win Cincinnati, just like he always does. lol.
I don't know if i'm laughing or crying at this :lol:

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't know if i'm laughing or crying at this :lol:A little of both? :p Plus in 4 appearances, Roger is 1-4 at Cincy, so when he's on the warpath of wanting to improve his record somewhere, just forget it.

Give him the shield now and let the other 63 players rest for another week :lol:

MissFairy
08-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Okay, now i'm crying :lol:

Maybe Mason just doesn't agree with him...ahhh, who am i kidding? *carries on crying*

surfpinky
08-14-2005, 04:29 PM
roger :drool:

hey, ar.com has a new videoo (if you guys don't already know) of andy's legg mason press conference after his win :]

nobama
08-14-2005, 06:50 PM
A little of both? :p Plus in 4 appearances, Roger is 1-4 at Cincy, so when he's on the warpath of wanting to improve his record somewhere, just forget it.

Give him the shield now and let the other 63 players rest for another week :lol:Roger's playing doubles this week too, so I think he is serious about getting in extra match play. But Andy likes the heat, doesn't he? Not so sure that Roger does. I'm guessing it will be very hot there next week.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Roger's playing doubles this week too, so I think he is serious about getting in extra match play. But Andy likes the heat, doesn't he? Not so sure that Roger does. I'm guessing it will be very hot there next week.I read somewhere it was in the low 90s there yesterday for qualies. and it's humid there too I think. Andy loves the heat, he grew up in it in FL and TX. Roger grew up in Switzerland....so.... lol. But he's dealt with it ok in Indian Wells....not surprised Roger's playing doubles, as he hasn't played for so long. that's common among the top players I think. Even Andy's done it :lol:

Here's the 10-day forecast from not-so-accurate weather.com. I also remember cincy having lots of rain problems, being the Midwest and all.
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USOH0566

nobama
08-14-2005, 07:20 PM
What are the court conditions like compared to Montreal...about the same or faster/slower hard court? When Andy was playing Mathieu Brad Gilbert said that slower hard courts were better for Andy. :scratch:

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Brad is :retard: Andy can play on any HC. I think Cincy is about the same - but perhaps doesn't bounce as high and perhaps is a bit closer to that of the USO? But from what I understand and from what i've seen in terms of the tennis all the courts in all the USO Series tourneys are relatively similar. And the actual weather conditions between most of these places is also pretty similar - hot, humid, and always a chance for rain problems.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Andy's tomorrow at 1. not sure if that will be on ESPN unless they change their schedule :scratch:

Golfnduck
08-14-2005, 08:12 PM
I wish we would get the match on ESPN, but I will be satisfied with the live sb. I've missed cheering Andy on this week :sad:

momentlost
08-14-2005, 08:21 PM
McEnroe just said that the match will be on at 1 pm on ESPN2. Woot woot.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 08:24 PM
:rocker2: too bad I have a 10am appointment :lol:

Shy
08-14-2005, 09:41 PM
. And the actual weather conditions between most of these places is also pretty similar - hot, humid, and always a chance for rain problems.
I am pretty sure that the weather in Ciny is not that different from Montreal which is hot and humid.

PinkFeatherBoa
08-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Yes to no night match for Andy(never get to see those properly). :yeah:

As for that central court line up altogether, someone ship me to Cincy now.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Can ESPN please decide on their schedule and let us know what it is :sobbing:

Seleshfan
08-14-2005, 10:46 PM
:rocker2: too bad I have a 10am appointment :lol:

Appointment for what? Please tell me you didn't hurt yourself with your diligent and focused practice of your craft. :) You need to remember to take it easy. :haha:

nobama
Can ESPN please decide on their schedule and let us know what it is :sobbing:PMac said they would be showing Andy tomorrow afternoon. But it doesn't say so on the US Open Series website. If you go by that schedule the only match they'll show is Roger at 11 pm - tape delayed. :(

Deboogle!.
Appointment for what? Please tell me you didn't hurt yourself with your diligent and focused practice of your craft. :) You need to remember to take it easy. :haha:LOL!!!!!!!! No, with my career office at school so they can tell me how to get a job lol

*M*
08-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Brad is :retard: :lol: I used to not like him, but Brad has really grown on me. I still don't take anything he says seriously, though. He cracks me up with his exact ("42%") predictions.

Andy can play on any HC. I think Cincy is about the same - but perhaps doesn't bounce as high and perhaps is a bit closer to that of the USO? But from what I understand and from what i've seen in terms of the tennis all the courts in all the USO Series tourneys are relatively similar. And the actual weather conditions between most of these places is also pretty similar - hot, humid, and always a chance for rain problems.They had a discussion about the balls a few days ago, because Andy brought it up after he lost. I guess they used Penn in Montreal, and Wilson was used in Washington and will be used in the US Open. I got the impression that they'll be using Wilson at Cincy, so as you say maybe the conditions will be closer to the Open.

As for ESPN, I wouldn't go by their website. Cliff Drysdale also said that Andy would be shown tomorrow at 1pm (EDT).

Shy
08-14-2005, 10:53 PM
:l
They had a discussion about the balls a few days ago, because Andy brought it up after he lost. I guess they used Penn in Montreal, and Wilson was used in Washington and will be used in the US Open. I got the impression that they'll be using Wilson at Cincy, so as you say maybe the conditions will be closer to the Open.

).
I thought that all the masters are using Penn's ball. That is what I heard.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 10:53 PM
:lol: I used to not like him, but Brad has really grown on me. I still don't take anything he says seriously, though. He cracks me up with his exact ("42%") predictions. I don't mind him as much when he's like the roving courtside reporter. He clearly has a special understanding for the game. Many times this week he was like "I smell a break" and sure enough, there would be a break that game. And sometimes he gives fascinating insights into players' tactics/quirks/etc. and it's interesting, but when they let him actually call a match or whatever - then he grates on me terribly.

They had a discussion about the balls a few days ago, because Andy brought it up after he lost. I guess they used Penn in Montreal, and Wilson was used in Washington and will be used in the US Open. I got the impression that they'll be using Wilson at Cincy, so as you say maybe the conditions will be closer to the Open.Cincy uses the penn ball too - all the Masters events do as of some time fairly recently. It's like the ATP PEnn ball and I remember players complaining about them some other time (Monte Carlo maybe? Not sure). It seems stupid to have the smaller USO Series tourneys and the USO all use the Wilson USO ball and then right in the middle of that have the two masters events use the Penn ball. Doesn't quite make much sense but then again much of what the ATP does is baffling. If the whole thing is to lead up to the USO, it only makes sense to use the same ball the whole time. That said, if Andy had been more with it and less :retard: I think he could've adjusted better and won not only his first match but several more to. But ah well que sera sera.

As for ESPN, I wouldn't go by their website. Cliff Drysdale also said that Andy would be shown tomorrow at 1pm (EDT).yes their site sucks lol. And I can't imagine they would show Massu/Henman anyway lol. Thanks to all who let us know what the commentators said :)

Seleshfan
08-14-2005, 10:59 PM
LOL!!!!!!!! No, with my career office at school so they can tell me how to get a job lol

Cancel your appointment honey, I'll tell you here and now. To get a job you fill out an application and submit a resume, then do a kick ass interview. To ensure a good starting salary, wear a short skirt to your interview (assuming the interviewers are straight males, or lesbians). If you interview with (gay men or straight females) just make sure you don't have excessive perfume, and that your clothes (preferably darker) are all coordinated with your purse, briefcase, and shoes.

P.S. No charge for this advice either.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 11:00 PM
lol thanks for the advice but that's not quite how legal jobs work ;)

Seleshfan
08-14-2005, 11:00 PM
I like Brad, and anyone who doesn't, I predict a beat down on you real soon.

Seleshfan
08-14-2005, 11:02 PM
lol thanks for the advice but that's not quite how legal jobs work ;)

Honey, I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but I assure you, you can sleep your way into any job..

acoffeygirl
08-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Honey, I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but I assure you, you can sleep your way into any job..
:spit: :haha:

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Honey, I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but I assure you, you can sleep your way into any job..Well of course ;) You know, that was not in your original advice ;)

Anyway, the hard part is getting the interview, so once the career office tells me how to do that I will follow the rest of your adivce, k?;)

*M*
08-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Cincy uses the penn ball too - all the Masters events do as of some time fairly recently. It's like the ATP PEnn ball and I remember players complaining about them some other time (Monte Carlo maybe? Not sure). It seems stupid to have the smaller USO Series tourneys and the USO all use the Wilson USO ball and then right in the middle of that have the two masters events use the Penn ball. Doesn't quite make much sense but then again much of what the ATP does is baffling. If the whole thing is to lead up to the USO, it only makes sense to use the same ball the whole time. That said, if Andy had been more with it and less :retard: I think he could've adjusted better and won not only his first match but several more to. But ah well que sera sera.Thanks for correcting me. I was going by memory and well, at my age that's not saying much.

Oh well, it sounds like both Andy and Roger got there nice and early, so they've had time to practice with their balls (!) for a while now.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Oh well, it sounds like both Andy and Roger got there nice and early, so they've had time to practice with their balls (!) for a while now.:haha: Yes it does. Andy went straight there from Montreal (SHOCKINGLY!) and Roger got there nice and early, so yeah they'll be fine. Andy said in the Cincy newspaper the other day that he's more comfortable with it - so, that means NO EXCUSES, ANDY! :armed:

Havok
08-14-2005, 11:15 PM
You know what I nocited when I was there for the TMS in Montreal. Brad is always sitting there on the sidelines of course for the ESPN/ESPN2 coverage, but my friend also noticed that Gilbert used to talk/say stuff to Andre during the Agassi/Jonas match we watched :o. I think seeing Brad on court might also be fucking up his concentration. Wasn't it reported quite a bit that Brad is always in the stands very close to where Roddick's chair is? Please go away Brad.:)

nobama
08-14-2005, 11:18 PM
:haha: Yes it does. Andy went straight there from Montreal (SHOCKINGLY!) and Roger got there nice and early, so yeah they'll be fine. Andy said in the Cincy newspaper the other day that he's more comfortable with it - so, that means NO EXCUSES, ANDY! :armed:How do you think he'll fare if he has a match up with Nadal? I'm thinking if Nadal gets that far he might be burned out, but who knows. I'm not ready to concede that Nadal is the favorite against Andy or Lleyton or Marat. Roger, who knows - he's always got the 'lefty forehand spin' on the brain when he plays Rafa so he's never quite himself.

blosson
08-14-2005, 11:18 PM

Have you? :lol:

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 11:30 PM
How do you think he'll fare if he has a match up with Nadal? I'm thinking if Nadal gets that far he might be burned out, but who knows. I'm not ready to concede that Nadal is the favorite against Andy or Lleyton or Marat. Roger, who knows - he's always got the 'lefty forehand spin' on the brain when he plays Rafa so he's never quite himself.I think that on a fast hardcourt, that Roger, Andy, Lleyton, and Marat would all be favored against rafa. Considering that Andre was tired and still played him very closely and so did Grosjean and Mathieu, I think the other top guys who are all USO champions mind you, would be favored (in my mind) against Rafa on HC. Whether they'd actually win is another question. I think that if Andy had made it to the Semis in Montreal like he should've (IMO), that he would've been as tough for him as Andre would've, at least.

nobama
08-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I hope Andy and Rafa play each other this week as I've never seen them play each other before. But only if Andy is in good form of course. If he's playing like crap or just so-so then I couldn't bear to watch it.

Deboogle!.
08-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Did you see their match at the USO last year? It was quite a beatdown at the beginning, andy was so confident and just smashing his forehand and Rafa was a little tight at night in the USO I Think. He started playing better as the match went on and had Andy down a break in the third but Andy had been really distracted by them mentioning Rulon Gardner was in the stands and once Andy refocused he easily broke back and broke again and won very easily. I'm sure Andy wouldn't win as easily now because Rafa's improved a lot of the parts of his game and Andy's not playing as well at this time, but it was proof that even at the end when rafa was playing much better that a really really good HC player like Andy (or any one of the others) can handle his spin on the fast HC with a normal bounce.

Nishy
08-15-2005, 12:10 AM
You know what I nocited when I was there for the TMS in Montreal. Brad is always sitting there on the sidelines of course for the ESPN/ESPN2 coverage, but my friend also noticed that Gilbert used to talk/say stuff to Andre during the Agassi/Jonas match we watched :o. I think seeing Brad on court might also be fucking up his concentration. Wasn't it reported quite a bit that Brad is always in the stands very close to where Roddick's chair is? Please go away Brad.:)I thought the same thing. :lol: Leave Andy alone.:)

guida
08-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah Brad, buzz off. :lol:

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 12:20 AM
well Brad was sitting behind the players in LA, DC, and Montreal - so it wasn't just Andy or Andre but any match ESPN covered... and yes it sounds like Andre did talk to Brad sometimes during his matches lol. I doubt Andy did ;)

go away Bradley :p

Nishy
08-15-2005, 12:30 AM
well Brad was sitting behind the players in LA, DC, and Montreal - so it wasn't just Andy or Andre but any match ESPN covered... and yes it sounds like Andre did talk to Brad sometimes during his matches lol. I doubt Andy did ;)

go away Bradley :pI think it is more annoying for Andy more than another player because he just fired Brad and I wonder their relationship was OK.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 03:01 AM
new masterpiece from AR.com
-------------
Big Guns Head to Cincy
By Kate Flory
2005-08-14
With just two weeks remaining until the fourth and final Grand Slam of the year, the US Open Series is moving to Cincinnati. All the big guns are back in action and everyone will be eager to hit form in the lead up to the US Open. The Western and Southern Financial Group Masters is a tournament where Andy has played well in recent years, a quarter finalist in 2002, the champion in 2003 and last year he got through to the semis before losing a very close match to Agassi.

Despite the disappointing week in Montreal, both Andy are coach Goldfine are upbeat about Cincy. However, Andy has his work cut out for him as he has been dealt a tough draw. In the first round he takes on Austrian Jurgen Melzer, a daunting task for Melzer if their previous meetings are anything to go by. In all four matches Andy has not even dropped a set to the lefty from Vienna.

Other seeds in Andy’s quarter include Tim Henman, who he could potentially face in the third round, and Rafael Nadal, who enjoyed a lot of success last week in Montreal. A match against Nadal is a possible quarter final for Andy.

After retiring in Montreal with a stomach virus, Lleyton Hewitt is aiming to be back in action next week in a bid to win some matches before going to New York. He also finds himself in Andy’s half. Arriving in Cincy earlier this week, Andy is ready for a strong finish in the US Open Series.

It is shaping up to be a hard fought battle in the other half of the draw as well. Federer and Safin are both back in action, neither having played since the Wimbledon Championships. Both will be eager to get some matches under their belts, but can only possibly face Andy in the final. Andre Agassi also lurks in the top half of the draw.

With all the top players in competition, it is sure to be an exciting tournament and will give good insight into who’s looking hot and who’s not heading into Flushing Meadows. The main draw gets under way on Monday, August 15th and Andy is scheduled to play Jurgen Melzer (AUT) on Center Court not before 2:00 pm Eastern.:rolleyes: (it's not before 1) The match will not be televised live, but will be replayed on ESPN2 from 11pm-1am Eastern. :scratch:

Melzer is currently ranked number 35, his highest ranking was earlier in 2005 at 33. Melzer has never won a title, but has taken Andy to three sets once before at the Australian Open. (:banghead: DUH MAYBE BECAUSE THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN IS BEST OF FIVE SETS!!!!!) Here are some more statistics on Melzer:

Birthdate:22-May-81
Height:6'0'' (182 cm)
Weight:165 lbs (75 kg)
Plays:Left-handed
Turned Pro:1999

tangerine_dream
08-15-2005, 03:06 AM
I hope Andy and Rafa play each other this week as I've never seen them play each other before.
When did you discover tennis? Both of Andy's matches with Rafa have been great: USO 2004 and the Davis Cup final last year.

Golfnduck
08-15-2005, 03:09 AM
Hopefully Andy give Melzer a good-old fashion beat down tomorrow. Please Andy.

andyroxmysox12191
08-15-2005, 03:10 AM
AR surprises me every time.

So everyone please cheer hard for Andy for me. And pray that he makes it pass one of my boys Jurgen and JCF (right?). Oh and Andmy...I wouldn't mind it if you won against Taylor :angel:

nobama
08-15-2005, 04:39 AM
Did you see their match at the USO last year? It was quite a beatdown at the beginning, andy was so confident and just smashing his forehand and Rafa was a little tight at night in the USO I Think. He started playing better as the match went on and had Andy down a break in the third but Andy had been really distracted by them mentioning Rulon Gardner was in the stands and once Andy refocused he easily broke back and broke again and won very easily. I'm sure Andy wouldn't win as easily now because Rafa's improved a lot of the parts of his game and Andy's not playing as well at this time, but it was proof that even at the end when rafa was playing much better that a really really good HC player like Andy (or any one of the others) can handle his spin on the fast HC with a normal bounce.No I didn't see that USO Match. Of course Rafa has improved a lot since then, but I would hope that Andy wouldn't have a brainfart two weeks in a row. And since this affects the USO seedings he'd try harder than he didn in Montreal. At least he got there early. I want him to kick Nadal's ass so the Rafa brigade in GM shuts up for a while. I don't think he'll ever beat Rafa on clay, but he should be able to on a fast HC.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 05:11 AM
well mirkaland, your mouth to Andy's ears. lol...but he should be able to on a fast HC.Yes... but unfortunately what Andy should do and what he does do are not congruent lately :(

Dirk
08-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Could Andy meet Rafa in the qrts if he is seeded 5 at the USO He does meet him here in the qrts this week right? I've never seen the 2 and 5 seeds play or the 1 and 5 seeds play.

am&a
08-15-2005, 06:38 AM
roger :drool:way to see the bright side nat. d:

nobama
08-15-2005, 11:25 AM
well mirkaland, your mouth to Andy's ears. lolYes... but unfortunately what Andy should do and what he does do are not congruent lately :(Ok, but Andy does know that his result here has an effect on his seeding at the US Open. So like I said, I would hope he doesn't have a brainfart two weeks in a row, especially when there is a lot riding on this tournament. He's had plenty of time to practice, so there is no excuse for an early exit.

Black Adam
08-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Go Andy :yeah: You better defend your points her and if possible do better.
BTW there is a poll on who is the Favorite for USO on this french

Poll on USO Favorites (http://sports.fr/fr/tennis/?/)

.you can go if you are interested.I like Gasquet but honestly his physique ain't enough for the moment to do damage at Slams.
Andy better not pull another Montreal or Indy stunt because it kills me to see him auto destroy himslef :sad:

tangerine_dream
08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
The Rafa brigade still has a long ways to go before they become nearly as obnoxious as the Fedtard brigade.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 03:41 PM
pic of Andy practicing from the Cincy paper :)

partygirl
08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
im sorry if this was asked already or answerd...(these threads move so fast, cause were so cool:smoke: )

does anybody know when andy + jurgen's match will be on espn?
after the agassi nadal match they said it would be on, i missed the time- and cant find it on the schedual...and espn.com is impossible.:wavey:

snaillyyy
08-15-2005, 05:01 PM
YESSSSS we get it live on ESPN2 :bounce: :bounce:

partygirl
08-15-2005, 05:03 PM
McEnroe just said that the match will be on at 1 pm on ESPN2. Woot woot.
thank you.

one thing i wanted to add, after watching the nadal agassi match just before it began raphael was saying, "i want to win tournaments on hardcourts......
i will win on hardcourts!"

as where andy's general statements are along the line of:

" i ws really lucky ... im lucky to get through."

here is the problem.
we all know you love to be self depricating....but STOP IT !
it pisses me off, your good enough damn it...now shut up. :) ;) :lick:

Breakaway
08-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Go Andy :rocker2:

Angle Queen
08-15-2005, 05:14 PM
go Andy, go Andy, go Andy!!!

Breakaway
08-15-2005, 05:17 PM
He is looking good so far. :) He is up 2-1 on serve.

momentlost
08-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Is he wearing his new Babolat shoes? They don't look like Reebok.

partygirl
08-15-2005, 05:26 PM
new shoes.-yep. whats up with the black biker shorts all the time, are they compression shorts?

Breakaway
08-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes, they are Babolat too. B)

warmy
08-15-2005, 05:35 PM
They're cow painted. :) I like.

Breakaway
08-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Maybe if Andy plays Federer, Roger will think about Juliette and it will distract him. :)

superpinkone37
08-15-2005, 06:08 PM
All I have to say is that I love Cliff. end.

Fee
08-15-2005, 06:16 PM
the spadea avatar is killing me...

Love the new Babolat shoes. Almost thought he was wearing adidas A3's for a minute there.

Tytta!.
08-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Way to go, Andy!

snaillyyy
08-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Good Andy 6-3, 6-4. Keep it up!! and I do love the shoes :D

partygirl
that post match interview seemed very uncomfy....cliff and brad didnt seem to have much to say...and andy looked like he didnt want to be there.

Angle Queen
:yeah: attaboy, Andy!

Golfnduck
08-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Good job Andy!!! :woohoo: :yeah: I love the shoes, nice look. Keep it going!!!

jessa007
08-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Anybody have a picture of the new shoes? TSN wasn't airing the match.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks Andy :)

keep it up thanks.

Jessa, no pics yet but I'm sure they'll be up soon, I'll post them when they show up :)

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 06:41 PM
GO ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Win Cincy :D

:D I love you! Woot! Gooooo Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
(I hope he likes exclammation points!)

nkhera1
08-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Some of Roddick's forehands had some good depth on them which is a good sign and I noticed that a few of the points he lost were on forehands that were long which is kind of a good sign. I didn't get to see him Montreal match (which may actually be a good thing) so I can't comment on that but it seems like he is trying to make his forehand better. Fortunately even when he did hit weak forehands Melzer didn't really punish him. His crosscourt backhand seemed pretty good but his down the line backhand was really floaty almost like a lob. Speaking of lobs he actually hit one which was amazing. Seemed to be moving well and serving decently though he had a somewhat low percentage and only 4 aces. However he was able to win the majority of his service points which is what is important. All in all a good first round match but then again this is Roddick we are talking about so anything can happen.

nobama
08-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Yea, Andy! :woohoo:

blosson
08-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Andy did not have that many aces for a change (only 4) but served 89% 1st serves and did not face a single break point. I guess it's a good start.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Andy did not have that many aces for a change (only 4) but served 89% 1st serves and did not face a single break point. I guess it's a good start.Yea I noticed that! His first serve % could be a bit higher but he had great winning percent as you said, so that's what really matters at the end of the day. Melzer is the type of guy who will get a racquet on a lot of serves but maybe not get them actually in play - and my guess is that's why Andy's ace count was lowish.

first pic, but no shoes

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/OHKS109081514_1024x768.jpg

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Wow! 89%! >_> When I hear these scores, it blows me away. I have maybe a 30% on my first serve and it's like ten times slower :D LMAO Anyways... I'm so happy Andy won :D

superpinkone37
08-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Here are the shoes:

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/big/BRAC-big.jpg

They're ugly ;)

But as long as he wins, who cares if he wears ugly shoes :p

jessa007
08-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the picture Deb! But, what's with the black spandex shorts underneath?

And, oh, those shoes are, uh, different...

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Yes they are ugly lmfao

I dunno why he's wearing them, except maybe b/c he keeps wearing white shorts and he thinks they're see-through? ;) or, the heat and humidity is a problem with the lacoste shorts which are not play-dry and it's to keep from getting a rash and stuff.

blosson
08-15-2005, 07:03 PM
I was also checking Henman's stats. He converted 4 out of 15 break points and beat Massu 6/2 6/1, I guess Massu was playing crap as Tim's not the super power player to put demolishing scores like this on the board. So, Tim's next.

superpinkone37
08-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Of course, if the reason is that he thinks they're see through, it makes sense that he would wear black shorts underneath the white. Andy is a GENIUS.

partygirl
08-15-2005, 07:05 PM
what's with the black spandex shorts underneath?

i hate them too...come on andy what is too see through?
he's been wearing them since RCA.

loose the shorts :p

blosson
08-15-2005, 07:06 PM
... or, the heat and humidity is a problem with the lacoste shorts which are not play-dry and it's to keep from getting a rash and stuff.

That's why he was doing the grab so often. Itchy balls. :p

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 07:07 PM
I was also checking Henman's stats. He converted 4 out of 15 break points and beat Massu 6/2 6/1, I guess Massu was playing crap as Tim's not the super power player to put demolishing scores like this on the board. So, Tim's next.Next is either Ferrero or Koubek, right now Koubek is killing Ferrero bageling him in 18 minutes...

and Henman still has to beat Chela... So we'll see

DEAD DANIELLE!! WEll that may not be the reason, I am just speculating :p

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 07:11 PM
... I definately prefered the black ones there, eh, the ones he wore at the US Open I think. >_> I forget the name.

surfpinky
08-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Of course, if the reason is that he thinks they're see through, it makes sense that he would wear black shorts underneath the white. Andy is a GENIUS.
dead. :sobbing:

Fumus
08-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Yay Andy, you won a match!

Does he have new shoes?

surfpinky
08-15-2005, 07:14 PM
I JUST REALIZED ANDY WON WOOT!
:woohoo:

surfpinky
08-15-2005, 07:19 PM
way to see the bright side nat. d:
biatchhhh
or simply :]

|:

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 07:20 PM
I JUST REALIZED ANDY WON WOOT!
:woohoo:

LOL :D I like your avatar ^^

surfpinky
08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
thank you :]

nkhera1
08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know how far Marat went in the Cincy Open last year?

surfpinky
08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Quarterfinals

I think :scratch:

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know how far Marat went in the Cincy Open last year?QF - he lost to Hewitt

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
He lost to Hewitt in the quarters, I think.

NP surfpinky :D

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 07:26 PM
lol... tghe time it took me to check the draw, you already got your answer! hehe lol

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 07:26 PM
more pics :)

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/OHDK101081514_1024x768.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/OHKS111081514_1024x768.jpg

Winston's Human
08-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Nice early win for our Andy before the rains came.

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 07:28 PM
thanks Deb! He looks happy :)

Fumus
08-15-2005, 07:40 PM
How did Andy only hit 4 aces, serve less than 60% first serves and held Miezer to winning 14% of the return points? He might dare I say, have to do things besides serving to win?

So Fumus, you mean he's not all serve?!

Yes and I talk to myself! Awesome!

Jennay
08-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Yay Andy. I like the new shoes.

jessa007
08-15-2005, 07:45 PM
:haha: www.andysmojo.com

Natasc
08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Yay Andy, you won a match!

Does he have new shoes?
I note that!!
And what a shoe...one side is more black then the other :lol:

btw...I always ask myself which mark he uses...
adidas...reebok...nike? today's shoe reminds me Nadal ones

Jennay
08-15-2005, 07:48 PM
LOL. Thanks, Jessa. ;)

Jennay
08-15-2005, 07:48 PM
btw...I always ask myself which mark he uses...
adidas...reebok...nike? today's shoe reminds me Nadal ones
Andy wears Lacoste clothes and Babolat shoes. :)

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 07:49 PM
:haha: www.andysmojo.com:spit: OMG I AM DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT YOU WERE KIDDING!!!!!!! HAHAHA So I clicked on it and no, it's real. OMG LMFAO :haha: :haha:

blosson
08-15-2005, 07:50 PM

oooh nooo

Natasc
08-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Andy wears Lacoste clothes and Babolat shoes. :)
realy?

I always tried to find that shoe...I have one adidas that realy looks like he old shoe
but the today ones realy looks like Nike ones..

Thanks!! very much!!

am&a
08-15-2005, 07:52 PM
|:|:

PinkFeatherBoa
08-15-2005, 07:55 PM
|: indeed (love that face) That mojo website is funny.

Anyway, woot Andy for winning a match.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 07:55 PM
more pics, click on them to get the bigger ones for the first two

http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/53389120MS012_Masters081515_lower.jpg (http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/53389120MS012_Masters081515_1024x768.jpg)

http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/53389120MS014_Masters081515_lower.jpg (http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/53389120MS014_Masters081515_1024x768.jpg)

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/OHDK104081515_1024x768.jpg

partygirl
08-15-2005, 07:57 PM
www.andysmojo.com

it says
his mojo is comming!

i need to be there for that :wavey: at least to watch :devil: :angel:

PinkFeatherBoa
08-15-2005, 08:01 PM
He needs his mojo a lot sooner than August 24th, for goodness sake. :rolleyes:

blosson
08-15-2005, 08:04 PM
It looks like Andy put some weight again. He looks bigger than he was during Wimbledon.

Oh and JCF had a nice recovery and is winning 3/0 in the 3rd.

partygirl
08-15-2005, 08:11 PM
It looks like Andy put some weight again. He looks bigger than he was during Wimbledon.

i noticed that too his face looks fuller too not a double chin or anything,

but while i was watching the match i noticed on a purely superfical note...
his body looks sick - and i mean that in the best possible way :p (good for you)

Fumus
08-15-2005, 08:15 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/53389120MS014_Masters081515_lower.jpg

Andy was cruising so easily durning his match with Jurgen Melzer he took the time to order some drinks.

"Two please, one for me and one for my bitch"

partygirl
08-15-2005, 08:22 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/53389120MS014_Masters081515_lower.jpg

Andy was cruising so easily durning his match with Jurgen Melzer he took the time to order some drinks.

"Two please, one for me and one for my bitch"

:worship: perfection :worship:

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 08:23 PM
So JCF just won - WOOT.

Now beat him, Andy. (Sorry JCF, I love you.)

Fumus
08-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Gosh Deb, I do it all to impress you and I can't even get a laugh.....ugh...so ignored. Purple sucks.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Gosh Deb, I do it all to impress you and I can't even get a laugh.....ugh...so ignored. Purple sucks.Dude, I already love you, you don't have to impress me.

but yes it was indeed quite hilarious :worship:

Fumus
08-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Thank you. I actually bought a purple shirt last week, I must confess.

partygirl
08-15-2005, 08:32 PM
so tomorrow will be hot vs. hot (andy + juan carlos)

very nice!

i cant wait, i love them both...im going to put my mediocore winnings on andy though.

*M*
08-15-2005, 08:34 PM
It looks like Andy put some weight again. He looks bigger than he was during Wimbledon.Maybe his brother will start calling him "Fat Andy" . . .

Man, I always thought Nalbandian sweat a lot, but I think Andy is worse. He definitely needs those biker shorts underneath. Anyone here remember when Andre used to wear denim cut-offs over lycra shorts?

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 08:36 PM
lol.... hot vs hot XD LMAO

Andy looks fit, yeah... I don't know, why don't we make a collage to show progression through out 2005? I don't really notice the change sometimes ^_^;

Winston's Human
08-15-2005, 08:42 PM
so tomorrow will be hot vs. hot (andy + juan carlos).

I don't think Andy and JC play until Wednesday.

partygirl
08-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Man, I always thought Nalbandian sweat a lot, but I think Andy is worse. He definitely needs those biker shorts underneath.

i dont know if thats it he has always sweat that much, in wimbledon he wore the same white lacoste....no god damn ugly biker shorts.....
i guess the upside is - no panty lines

but i was always partial to some of that ;)

Havok
08-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Viva Andy. Beat Ferrero then whomever in the 3r. Just play to your abilities and the #4/#3 rank will come to you, though you can only do it this week so don't fuck up.:D

Fumus
08-15-2005, 08:50 PM
I made into the Chat!!

Fumus, Schenectady NY: Lord Carlos, What is the tattoo you have on your arm for?

Carlos Moya: (4:48 PM ET ) I always wanted to have a tattoo, so back in 99, when I was injured, I found the time to do it. There were bad moments and I was struggling with my injury and I didn't know if I was going to be able to come back to play at a high level. Now when I look at it, I remember that I've been through bad moments and it helps me to remember that not everything has been really good in my career.

guida
08-15-2005, 09:02 PM
:clap2: Andy :bigclap:

Corinna
08-15-2005, 09:05 PM
:woohoo: andy :D :D

now he has to play jc :sad:i hate it:sobbing: may the better one win *sigh*

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 09:08 PM
LMAO Fumus... You called him Lord Carlos XD How did that even start out? Is he accustumed to being called that?

Jennay
08-15-2005, 09:16 PM
So torn. :crying2: Whatever, will be happy with either winner.

PinkFeatherBoa
08-15-2005, 09:19 PM
I love JC but Andy needs to win, so he can get that top 4 seeding.

Fee
08-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Well, I am very fond of JCF and I want him back in the top 10 for sure (boot out some of those pretenders) but not at Andy's expense. Sorry dude, Go Andy!

{Is it my imagination, or are Andy's forearms almost the same size now?}

tangerine_dream
08-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Fumus is on a roll today. :)

And so is Andy. For once, a routine win was actually routine. Well done, Andy. Keep it up. :bigclap:

guida
08-15-2005, 09:23 PM
I love JC but Andy needs to win, so he can get that top 4 seeding.

My sentiments exactly.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 09:40 PM
lil bit from the AP. :)
-----------
Roddick advances, Agassi rests for Open
8/15/2005 5:36:00 PM

MASON, Ohio (AP) - Andy Roddick had one minor concern - an erratic serve - as he advanced in the $2.45 million Cincinnati Masters. Andre Agassi dropped out with a lot more on his mind.

Roddick struggled with his serve on Monday, but was solid in every other aspect of a rejuvenating 6-3, 6-4 win over Jurgen Melzer. A week earlier, Roddick was out of sorts during a first-round loss in Montreal, complaining about the brand of ball used for Masters events.

The same brand of ball is used in Cincinnati, where Roddick was comfortable with everything but his first serve - only 56 percent went in.

``It was kind of a weird match for me,'' he said. ``I was putting a lot of returns in play. Once I was in the point, I felt like I was getting the better of it. But I didn't serve well, so it was kind of a backward match for me. But I think that's a good thing. I'm pretty confident my serve will come around.''

snaillyyy
08-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Now can I wish for great returns AND great serve for the match with JCF?? AHHH what a dream that would be :p :lol:

partygirl
08-15-2005, 09:50 PM
{Is it my imagination, or are Andy's forearms almost the same size now?}

I think so, almost.....cant imagine why... :lol:

Deboogle!.
08-15-2005, 10:05 PM
a bit more, from reuters. :)
-------
Roddick bounces back with Cincinnati win
Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:51 PM ET

By Simon Cambers

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - Former U.S. Open champion Andy Roddick recovered from his disappointing defeat last week to beat Austrian Juergen Melzer 6-3 6-4 on Monday to reach the second round of the Cincinnati Masters.

The American lost to unseeded Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu in the first round of the Montreal Masters but overpowered Melzer to romp to victory in one hour 17 minutes in dull, cool conditions.

Melzer could not get back in the match after being broken in the first game of the second set.

Fifth seed Roddick, who defeated Juan Carlos Ferrero to win the U.S. Open in 2003, now plays the Spaniard in round two.

"It was kind of a weird match for me because I wasn't serving that well (against Melzer), so it was like a backwards match for me," Roddick told reporters.

"But that's a good thing because I'm pretty confident my serve will come around. I had lots of opportunities to break, which was good for me.

"I played Ferrero in the final of the U.S. Open less than two years ago and now it's a second-round match. I think it would be arrogant if I said (the big threat this week was) anybody but my next opponent."

partygirl
08-15-2005, 10:58 PM
here are some more pix from todays match.

more pics of those stupid undershorts :confused: he should loose the outer layer all together :devil:
& for those of you who have'nt yet seen them you can almost make out the shoes if that damn watermark would give me a f***ing break.