if serves were all underam.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

if serves were all underam....

federer express
08-10-2005, 08:45 PM
what would the top 10 be? (kinda pointless question i know, but hey...)

1. federer
2. nadal
3. coria
4. nalbandian
5. safin
6. gaudio
7. hewitt
8. o. rochus
9. davydenko
10. gasquet

Russian elephant
08-10-2005, 08:58 PM
and AA???
O. Rochus out
+ Gonza...

Vass
08-10-2005, 09:18 PM
The best returners would be on top. People who can return well will over-power even those who'll use exquisite touch on the serve, I think.

Eve83
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
...an American may win the French Open again;)

Think, think, think...hmmmm?!?

Papakori
08-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Gonzo and Federer :D

Cervantes
08-10-2005, 10:31 PM
The best returners would be on top. People who can return well will over-power even those who'll use exquisite touch on the serve, I think.

You don't need to be able to return serve, you need to spank half court balls. So Federer would become even more dominant, since he's untouchable in that department.

After thinking about it for a minute I realise how boring tennis would become: someone like Federer would almost always hit return winners. Even moderate players should be able to at least take the initiative with the return. Maybe Hewitt or Nadal would win some points on serve every now and then, but still I think we'd see a lot of tiebreaks (on pro level).

Melvins
08-11-2005, 12:21 AM
what would the top 10 be? (kinda pointless question i know, but hey...)

1. federer
2. nadal
3. coria
4. nalbandian
5. safin
6. gaudio
7. hewitt
8. o. rochus
9. davydenko
10. gasquet

:haha:

If returns were all underam, if forehands..., if backhands..., if volleys...

And Federer nº1? :haha: Did you watch any game of Roger with low % of 1st serves? :rolleyes:

oneandonlyhsn
08-11-2005, 12:28 AM
:haha:

If returns were all underam, if forehands..., if backhands..., if volleys...

And Federer nº1? :haha: Did you watch any game of Roger with low % of 1st serves? :rolleyes:

I did, Wimby 2005 against Hewitt, Fed serving at 38% and only broken once ;)

Melvins
08-11-2005, 12:20 PM
I did, Wimby 2005 against Hewitt, Fed serving at 38% and only broken once ;)

Not 38% but 52%. Whatever, it's a low %, but if you see % of 2nd serves points won by him it's low (58%) and 1st serves high (86%).

Federer without 1st serve losses more matchs and his confindence fall down.

oneandonlyhsn
08-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Not 38% but 52%. Whatever, it's a low %, but if you see % of 2nd serves points won by him it's low (58%) and 1st serves high (86%).

Federer without 1st serve losses more matchs and his confindence fall down.

I meant 1st 2 sets, 3rd set he started serving better and his % went up. 1set he was serving at 29% and Hewitt at 32%.
1st serve % are still important to most players confidence, even Fed I am sure he wouldnt be as confident. However if all players were serving underarm then none of them would be as reliant on it as they are now I guess :scratch: am I making any sense

bad gambler
08-11-2005, 01:54 PM
it would still be the same as the current situation, federer first daylight second

felipe2004
08-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Well, in the WTA, the first would be Dementieva :tape: :lol:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-11-2005, 07:13 PM
if picking your arse was banned, Nadal would be dead.

name_change
08-11-2005, 08:43 PM
karlovic would be fucked.

madmanfool
08-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Tennis would become ridiculous i'd say

Not only would it be almost impossible to win your service games, but also players would still try to serve as high as possible, probably somewhere around shoulder heights, claiming it's still an underarm serve ;)
What would lead into discussions :)

FiBeR
10-24-2008, 04:23 PM
i really like this topic :D

JolánGagó
10-24-2008, 04:40 PM

Im not surprised, it's the stupidest thread of the month.

What if all bh were between legs? :rolleyes:

Henry Chinaski
10-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I nearly choked when I saw the guy had Fed as number 1. Then I saw the date and it still seemed dumb but not quite as bad.

FiBeR
10-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Im not surprised, it's the stupidest thread of the month.

What if all bh were between legs? :rolleyes:

you cant backhand between legs, tool

that's physically impossible

:retard: :silly:

:worship: another JolánGagó classic

ExcaliburII
10-24-2008, 04:44 PM
yes, you can backhandbetween legs.

FiBeR
10-24-2008, 04:46 PM
how? the way to hold hand is different from the way you make the forehand.. try it at home :p

its always a forehand

JolánGagó
10-24-2008, 04:48 PM
you cant backhand between legs, tool

that's physically impossible

You're certainly dumber than anything i could ever baddream about.

FiBeR
10-24-2008, 04:50 PM
You're certainly dumber than anything i could ever baddream about.

:hearts: :smooch:

Caralimon
10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
how? the way to hold hand is different from the way you make the forehand.. try it at home :p

its always a forehand

Move to a backhand grip, flip your racquet and it's a backhand.

MacTheKnife
10-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Conners and Agassi would make come backs.

MrChopin
10-24-2008, 09:17 PM
I'd still watch tennis before WTA.

Black Adam
10-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Sampras would smile in relief that his career took place at the right place and time.

FiBeR
10-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Move to a backhand grip, flip your racquet and it's a backhand.

dont be silly :p

you cant hit with the backhand between legs.. it is an impossible angle

think about it, guidin clowin :p to hit a ball between legs you have to turn your arm behind your back and hit behind the legs..

if you do a backhand, you have to turn around the whole bodythen move into a weird posture and.. even if you tried really really hard, your right arm (if righty) will clash against your left foot making it impossible to hit between the legs in that angle..

and even if you just stood up waiting for it.. standing still with your legs open and your backhand grip waiting for a ball in the exact place and exact time.. your backhand grip will be facing the ground rather than the sky.. you ll break your wrist if you tried to hit it and pretend to make a shot out of it.. and/or you dont have enough room to make any kind of swing to hit a backhand :lol:

same with lefties and right foot..its impossible :lol:

out_here_grindin
10-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Nadal would be very good. Also Simon and Seppi would be top 10 players and Roddick and Karlovic would be no wear in sight.

Jimnik
10-25-2008, 02:01 AM
If returns were all overarm...

:silly:

ExcaliburII
10-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Fiber are you mental retarded? You dont get what a backhand is? Caralimon`s explanation is simple but its enough. You can hit an underleg backhand.

sunsfuns
10-25-2008, 02:18 AM
How about if the serve was underarm, but the service box would be half the court (from the net to the baseline)? That would be more fun...:p

Fee
10-25-2008, 02:19 AM

Good bump of a really old thread. :lol:

I kind of miss federer express, wonder what he's up to these days.

azza
10-25-2008, 02:24 AM
Karlovic #937

FiBeR
10-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Fiber are you mental retarded? You dont get what a backhand is? Caralimon`s explanation is simple but its enough. You can hit an underleg backhand.

you re the retard, thats not a backhand.. it is a forehand with a backhand grip

its not a backhand..to do a backhand you have to move your arm, in the opposite direction of a forehand..otherwise is a forehand with a non-orthodox grip :wavey:

Forehand = in the same direction of the clock. + palm facing the rival's courtside when building it (depends..)
backhand = in the opposite direction of the clock. + palm opposite to the rival's courtiside when building it (depends...)

+- :lol: use your logic and stop trying to go after me :wavey:

:lol: im having gustavom_fan trying to hit an imaginary backhand between legs in his house and he cant do it..

if anyone is going to keep arguing this, stop right before quoting and commenting and try it yourself.. you cannot do it! you cannot hit a backhand between legs

if you can, show me how, cos all you do is touch a ball, top

finishingmove
10-25-2008, 03:46 AM
lol fiber.

you hit with your hand behind your back, and u are facing the net.

get it?

FiBeR
10-25-2008, 03:56 AM
The forehand in tennis is a shot made by swinging the racquet across one's body in the direction of where the player wants to place the shot. For a right-handed player, the forehand is a stroke that begins on the right side of his body, continues across his body as contact is made with the ball, and ends on the left side of his body. It is considered the easiest shot to master, perhaps because it is the most natural stroke. Beginners and advanced players often have better forehands than any other shots and use it as a weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forehand

The backhand in tennis is a stroke hit by swinging the racquet away from one's body in the direction of where the player wants the ball to go. For a right-handed player, a backhand begins on the left side of his body, continues across his body as contact is made with the ball, and ends on the right side of his body. It can be either a one-handed or a two-handed stroke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backhand

:lol: end of discussion..even with "backhand grip" it is a forehand

*begins on the right side of the body
*it is just weird and unorthodox but no way can be considered a backhand
*the real way of making a between legs backhand is anatomically impossible, by most, you can touch the ball but hit it? not possible :rolls:

enough said ^^

finishingmove
10-25-2008, 03:59 AM
its definitely a backhand, and even if u just block the ball its still a backhand shot.

also wikipedia is way behind MTF on things like these, so...

FiBeR
10-25-2008, 04:08 AM
:p i m sorry i disagree, and even if it was true, which it wasnt, why would someone on earth hit that weird uncomfortable shot?

:lol:

finishingmove
10-25-2008, 04:30 AM
it doesnt need to be analogous to the normal backhand. infact it cant, u said it yourself, its impossible to hit it that way.

its simply the opposite of the between the legs forehand, so its called the between the legs backhand.

General Suburbia
10-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Dumbest argument (for both sides) I've seen in a while...and this is MTF.