Top Spin for Playstation 2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Top Spin for Playstation 2

piccola_romana
08-10-2005, 06:28 PM
ciao!
in september will be on sale here in italy...wow! i've played it on xbox, great game!
do someone played it already on ps2?
which players are represented?

i can't wait! :worship:

El Legenda
08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
I dont like it...its crap...there is no calander, all the tournys start at QF, hand full of players.

im still waiting for a tennis game with..real ATP calander for that year, real tournys, TOP 100 players for that year. CAREER MODE....well that day will never come.

SwissMister1
08-10-2005, 06:50 PM
The problem with a real ATP calendar is that they would have to pay for the rights to those tournament names, like they did for the XBox ATP Masters Series game. (My friend had it - the game didn't have any real players, and wasn't a very good game, although the venues looked cool) The closest thing I have seen to a game with a realistic calendar was a game for PS2 called Hard Hitter Tennis, it at least had a calendar pretty close to the real one, they just referred the tournaments by their city's name. However, the matches you played were just tiebreaks, and no real players.

Papakori
08-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I enjoy top spin because you can get sponsors. I wish it had a Davis Cup and Calendar mode though

Seleshfan
08-10-2005, 10:29 PM
I dont like it...its crap...there is no calander, all the tournys start at QF, hand full of players.

im still waiting for a tennis game with..real ATP calander for that year, real tournys, TOP 100 players for that year. CAREER MODE....well that day will never come.

I agree it is crap. I'm waiting for a realistic tennis game with: angry fathers shouting from the stand, gum on the courts, bad line calls, coaching from the stands, sweaty genitals on the players, weather delays, player politics, the ability to break a racket, the ability to curse at the umpire or linesman, the ability to smash a ball out of the stadium. I think you should also be able to unlock certain things too, like keys to the hotel room where your player is staying or the mini bar. Maybe if you win Wimbledon a few times in a row, you can unlock the groupies and streakers.

jmgsdoubsprtnr
08-10-2005, 11:29 PM
they need to make a game with at least the top 50 players, if not top 100. that way, davis cup would be possible.

top spin is a good game for xbox, but it got old pretty fast. i still play occasionally, but no one ever wants to play with me cause i dominate so much! i'm not sure how it'll be on PS2 though... PS2's graphics are nothing compared to xbox's. there have been a lot of games that are on both platforms but you can really tell the difference graphics-wise. well, if you're gonna pay $50 for it (or whatever that is in euros), i hope you get your money's worth, and enjoy it!! :yeah:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Topspin2 for Xbox360:) much better.

Auscon
08-11-2005, 06:51 AM
I've had Topspin on xbox for a while, but only recently got Smashcourt 2

Despite the graphics being better in Topspin, I really think things felt more realistic in Smashcourt 2

Especially seeing as matches against mates don't end up in a flood of risk shots

megadeth
08-11-2005, 07:30 AM
why can't they make a game that emulates the atp tour as a whole?

play the tour on a calendar including all 9 TMS, davis cup, slams, masters cup, and other int'l events? put a career mode into it and challenge to see if you can defend the titles won, how many tourneys you want to put into your schedule, etc.

many tennis fans would buy a game like that. i know i will.

they can do nba games down to the last detail from trading, to 82 games, to the playoffs complete with stats, why not tennis also?

tennisvideos
08-11-2005, 01:38 PM
There is a game that emulated the tour magnificently on PS2 ..... BUT it was the WTA Tour. And this game was only ever available in Europe and Australia in the PAL format. This game was not to be confused with the horror moonball monstrosity that was released in the USA by the same name WTA Tour. The one in Europe and Australia was a very good game with most of the top 100 and a genuine world tour with accurate rankings etc. The graphics weren't much chop though but still a good game.

I will still get Topspin on PS2 (have it on xbox) but always tell all my friends not to use the risk shot - makes the game boring. They hate it too which is good.

Best PS2 tennis game is Smash Court Tennis Pro 2 - much more realistic game than all of them, and pretty good graphics. My friends and I love this one the best by far.

But I am looking forward to Topspin 2 on xbox 360 when it is released! :)

El Legenda
08-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Okay, its time for this suggestion

lets all meet up and make our own game.. anyone know anything about making games? i know a little its all 0's and 1's :rolls:

joeb_uk
08-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Virtua Tennis 2 (The classic tennis game, still the best and always has been :D ).

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Okay, its time for this suggestion

lets all meet up and make our own game.. anyone know anything about making games? i know a little its all 0's and 1's :rolls:

a mate knows alot, I only know how to burn....:p :rolleyes:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Virtua Tennis 2 (The classic tennis game, still the best and always has been :D ).

class, I gamed it an hour ago:) Carlos is the best in this game, but it's a bit hard to finish the point in career m.

piccola_romana
08-11-2005, 04:32 PM
i have smash court 2, and i'm bored to play it! it's too easy if you are clever...you win to easily even with your player against no.1. i've five different career started, everyone is "unbreakable"!

so i'm waiting for top spin, i will change game at least.

Nimrodg
09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
The game is already out :)

IGN Review: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/654/654068p1.html

hitchhiker
09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
this game proves how easy it is to beat federer

croat123
09-28-2005, 03:38 PM
things the suck about topspin:

1)too few players
2)no calander
3)easy as hell to beat
4)you can't hit a ue unless you go for a risk shot
5)the only way to hit a winner without going for a risk shot is to hit a series of insane angles that real players could never hit
6)the stadiums suck
7)the crowd sucks
8)sets to 3 in career mode?
9)the inability to keep a rally going from the back of the court, the players always step in and hit a low swinging volley
10)the inability to serve and volley unless you hit the slowest serve possible
11)the "create a player" is pretty crappy
12)the clothes look stupid
13)if you are playing a computer, you know exactly where it is going to serve based on where it stands on the baseline
14)if you are playing a computer all you have to do is return down the line :o

have i missed anything? seriously, within a few hours of playing, anyone can beat hingis on hard mode. heck, i played her once with a player with 0 stars and won 6-4 6-3 :o

adee-gee
09-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Virtua tennis 2 is the best, but it still isn't as good as it could be. It really isn't hard to make a realistic, enjoyable tennis game, but the market just isn't broad enough for companies to justify spending a lot of money to make the game.

Duncan
09-28-2005, 04:25 PM
i bought perfect ace 2 the other day and it was rubbish! i have TMS on the PC but its very slow when i use a pad as the keys suck. Best tennis games i ever played were Davis Cup and Pete Sampras Tennis on the Mega Drive, they were awesome!

i just want a game similar to this to come out :(

pinky
09-28-2005, 11:42 PM
I had top spin on xbox but didn't like it. I hated risk shots and the animations and "flow" of the game were awful (yeah, the graphics are good but it is not what makes a good game)...
Smash Court Tennis Pro 2 is definitely better. But i admit the game gets a bit easy vs the CPU. As with a lot of games, it is very very fun playing with friends :)

Now, i am still waiting for a game where you can actually aim your shot and make faults, in all these tennis games there are practically no faults (beside serves and the stupid risk shot concept of topspin).
They should use a combo of the analog stick position, your timing, your player stats and your placement (ala virtua tennis, where you could hit much harder when you where in position early) to define whether you hit a ball out, in or in the net... (honestly, it seems logic that if you time your shot much too early you hit the ball out long, and in the net when you time it much too late...)

Phunkadelicious
09-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm playing topspin right now, well, not RIGHT now, cuz I am tryping right now :p