roddick would only be in the top 100 if his serve was average [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

roddick would only be in the top 100 if his serve was average

i_tan7
08-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I think roddick is a good player and but not a great player. If he had an average serve like say Nalbandian he would be ranked in the 100's. His game is incomplete with chinks in his armour being his backhand and volleys and tactics. I wonder how many agree?

RebelNYC
08-10-2005, 01:39 PM
I agree that Roddick without his serve is ..... not a top 50 player. He is a good player, but not a great one. I agree.

jenanun
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
yes i agree too..... though his forehand is very powerful......

watched his match yesterday. he just didnt run for the ball at all!

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
As much as I am not keen on Roddick, the same could easily be said for Nadal if he didn't have his speed or Hewitt didn't have his will to win. Take away a players biggest weapon and chances are they are not going to be as highly ranked as they are.

Point taken there are some holes in his game and now the players have got used to his power, the backhand and volleys have improved from what they were, but tactically something is not working.

1sun
08-10-2005, 01:42 PM
i wouldnt say top100, i would say more top50,40. but yeah he would be so shite without his serve

Chloe le Bopper
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Yawn.

1sun
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Yawn.
someone tired?you should get sum sleep :zzz: ;)

Nimomunz
08-10-2005, 02:03 PM
this is a bullshit thread. its like asking if the world was flat would we fall off! roddick has the big serve so deal with it!

Aguante_el_Gato
08-10-2005, 02:09 PM
As much as I am not keen on Roddick, the same could easily be said for Nadal if he didn't have his speed or Hewitt didn't have his will to win. Take away a players biggest weapon and chances are they are not going to be as highly ranked as they are.agree 100%, and also it can be applied to my aunt.... if she had balls, then she would be my uncle :p
.. serious, I don't like Roddick either, but the only reality is that he has a great service, the rest are conjectures

partygirl
08-10-2005, 02:15 PM
you cannot be serious with that....
i will admit last night was not good
have you seen roddick when he IS playing at his best like summer 03...i know it was 2 years ago, but he can do it....
i think his serve helps, but i believe he has the talent plus marketablility to be an icon, no one will convince me otherwise...unless the dumb bastard doesnt get his act together...and just quits

LoveFifteen
08-10-2005, 03:13 PM
This thread is stupid. A serve is a legit part of your "tennis armor", as you put it. Just ask Elena Dementieva!

It's like saying that Martina Hingis wouldn't have been as good without her tennis brain, or Nadal wouldn't be as good without his speed & forehand.

jrm
08-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Two, three years ago his serve looked out of this world but now players can read it (he doesn't have the variety)

El Legenda
08-10-2005, 03:36 PM
He sucks even with the serve, since the lucky summer of 2003, how many big tourys has he won? Miami TMS only big one, so thats 1TMS out of last 21 or so majors(TMS AND GRAND SLAMS).

Carito_90
08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Double yawn.

Big news, lets move on now?

tangerine_dream
08-10-2005, 03:39 PM
:yawn:

What Jim Courier said:

"Someone asked me the other day "What would Roddick be ranked without his big serve?" And I said, "Relevance? Are you going to take a fast ball away from Roger Clemens? That's not a relevant question. You can't take the biggest strength away from a player and judge him. Their entire game would be built differently. If you took Roddick's serve away from him, he's a champion and he'd find a way to win without it."

mitalidas
08-10-2005, 03:59 PM

What Jim Courier said:

"Someone asked me the other day "What would Roddick be ranked without his big serve?" And I said, "Relevance? Are you going to take a fast ball away from Roger Clemens? That's not a relevant question. You can't take the biggest strength away from a player and judge him. Their entire game would be built differently. If you took Roddick's serve away from him, he's a champion and he'd find a way to win without it."

well his serve didnt click yesterday and the champion did not find a way to win without it

the problem is that it such a superior weapon of roddick's relative to any other shots he has that this question comes up periodically. sure, hewitt has his speed and Federer has his forehand, but for most other players there isn't such a glaring difference in the strengths of their various shots. for roddick there is, and its a fact he wins points based on or directly around his serve. this is why this question will repeat on MTF until he develops other shots as much

Nimomunz
08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Mitalidas did you watch yesterdays match?

mitalidas
08-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Mitalidas did you watch yesterdays match?

Just finished watching the second set. Did you?

Nimomunz
08-10-2005, 04:10 PM
yep
i have espn and thus have watched as many roddick matches this year and the truth is i've seen him play when his serve is crap. i cant remember who exactly in Wimby that he played and he was outaced and yet he won it. this match was not a testament to the lack of skill of roddick but a testament to PHM wo was absolutely on fire.

El Legenda
08-10-2005, 04:22 PM

What Jim Courier said:

Fastball is not even Clemens best pitch, so i think he would be fine without it.

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 04:29 PM
yep
i have espn and thus have watched as many roddick matches this year and the truth is i've seen him play when his serve is crap. i cant remember who exactly in Wimby that he played and he was outaced and yet he won it. this match was not a testament to the lack of skill of roddick but a testament to PHM wo was absolutely on fire.

Hey sweetie, I feel so special being in your siggy :D

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Nimomunz again

Julio1974
08-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Look where Karlovic is just with a great serve. Nowhere near the top 10... It's clear to me that Roddick is much more than just a great serve and that's why he is a top ten player.

mitalidas
08-10-2005, 04:40 PM
yep
maybe bracialli. i know for sure he was outaced in the final, but he obviously lost that
yeah i have espn too and i only rarely watch roddick's matches --depending on who he's playing. that's why i had to see it on tape today. and yes, in response to courier's comment I said that roddick's serve did not click last night, and he was not able to find a way to win it.

Denaon
08-10-2005, 04:41 PM
agree 100%, and also it can be applied to my aunt.... if she had balls, then she would be my uncle :p
She could still be your aunt :rolls: Come on, it's 21st Century we're living :haha:

About Roddick I agree his serve is 50% of his game (to say the least) He might be inside Top 60 without it, but as much as I dislike his way to play (I'm a clay lover, ok? ), serve is an important fact in tennis nowadays. The rest of players should work harder on that......yeah I'm talking to you too Mr Nalbandian! :D

El Legenda
08-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Look where Karlovic is just with a great serve. Nowhere near the top 10... It's clear to me that Roddick is much more than just a great serve and that's why he is a top ten player.

Roddick would be where Karlovic is now, if he didnt have the serve,

Nimomunz
08-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Roddick would be where Karlovic is now, if he didnt have the serve,
:confused:

Melvins
08-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Total disagree with this question! :rolleyes:

First - Every player in the tour has a good serve, only some clay courts guys has a average serve. Nadal's serve isn't special but in the future Nadal need better serve to continue in top 10.

Do you believe in a top 10 Roger Federer if he has a average serve?

Second - Andy Roddick in good form has a great forehand, a nice volley (not so good but better than many others), nice passing-shots. Need more touch of ball.

tangerine_dream
08-10-2005, 05:47 PM
well his serve didnt click yesterday and the champion did not find a way to win without it
This is the first time this year that I've seen it happen. There were some matches he's had earlier in the year where his serve and/ore forehand was off and he still managed to find a way to win.

It's amazing how people are quick to judge or write off a player after one bad performance, as if it made an entire career or totally embodied their game. Honestly, if I had never heard of or seen Roger Federer play before the French Open semifinals, I would've walked away thinking that Roger's forehand was atrocious, his serve mediocre, and how massively overrated he is by the press. :lol:

liptea
08-10-2005, 05:55 PM
It's like asking what kind of tennis player Carlos Moya would be without his good looks.

Nimomunz
08-10-2005, 06:15 PM
It's like asking what kind of tennis player Carlos Moya would be without his good looks.
or what kinda player Hewitt would be without his member?

mitalidas
08-10-2005, 06:18 PM
or what kind of player Federer would be without his racket

federer express
08-10-2005, 07:39 PM
I think roddick is a good player and but not a great player. If he had an average serve like say Nalbandian he would be ranked in the 100's. His game is incomplete with chinks in his armour being his backhand and volleys and tactics. I wonder how many agree?

bollocks! :p

liptea
08-10-2005, 08:23 PM

Haha, at least top 5.

Havok
08-10-2005, 10:26 PM
He sucks even with the serve, since the lucky summer of 2003, how many big tourys has he won? Miami TMS only big one, so thats 1TMS out of last 21 or so majors(TMS AND GRAND SLAMS).
:retard: 04: Federer won the AO, Wimbledon and USO, he also won IW Toronto and the TMC. Roddick won Miami and got to the finals of Wimbledon. Andy can't win TMS clay events so end there, lost in the quarters at IW and only played one indoor TMS event where he went down to Max. He also got to the semis of the TMC. This year he was in the semis of the AO, finals of Wimbledon, semis of IW, retired at Miami. I said suck on clay so skip that, and a terrible 1r loss in Montreal. it's so easy to just say oh he onlywon one big tournament since his great 2003 season, but if you would just take 5 seconds to really THINK about it, Federer has owned everything so unless you are a clay courter you aren't winning SHIT (Safin was the only exception, but Federer wasn't there for both TMS paris and Madrid so Safin benefited from it). When you look at the bigger picture the exact same thing can be said to SO many players (Hewitt, Agassi, henman, Coria, Nalbandian, etc.)

Pea
08-10-2005, 10:31 PM

He has mad soccer skillz, yo.

Dirk
08-10-2005, 10:34 PM
:retard: 04: Federer won the AO, Wimbledon and USO, he also won IW Toronto and the TMC. Roddick won Miami and got to the finals of Wimbledon. Andy can't win TMS clay events so end there, lost in the quarters at IW and only played one indoor TMS event where he went down to Max. He also got to the semis of the TMC. This year he was in the semis of the AO, finals of Wimbledon, semis of IW, retired at Miami. I said suck on clay so skip that, and a terrible 1r loss in Montreal. it's so easy to just say oh he onlywon one big tournament since his great 2003 season, but if you would just take 5 seconds to really THINK about it, Federer has owned everything so unless you are a clay courter you aren't winning SHIT (Safin was the only exception, but Federer wasn't there for both TMS paris and Madrid so Safin benefited from it). When you look at the bigger picture the exact same thing can be said to SO many players (Hewitt, Agassi, henman, Coria, Nalbandian, etc.)

Even had Roger been at the two indoor masters he wouldn't have done anything because he was too tired or injuried. There is no doubt Andy would have at least another slam and some other big titles if Roger was not in his way. I could see Mark in 03 and Hewitt this year beating Andy in the Wimbledon finals.

nobama
08-10-2005, 10:34 PM
He has mad soccer skillz, yo.Not as good as Nadal's though. ;)

mitalidas
08-11-2005, 12:40 AM
He has mad soccer skillz, yo.

yep i know. I should have qualified it as "what kind of TENNIS player Federer would be without a racket". As Liptea said probably still top 5 :yeah:

Fumus
08-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Would Pete's career have been as good?

What if Roger moved like Taylor Dent?

What if Agassi took the ball alittle later?

You can't ask questions like that, yes his serve helps him out but every top player has a best shot, favorite weapon, or go to play...that's what seperates the top players from the top 50 or top 100 guys. ;)

Havok
08-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Even had Roger been at the two indoor masters he wouldn't have done anything because he was too tired or injuried. There is no doubt Andy would have at least another slam and some other big titles if Roger was not in his way. I could see Mark in 03 and Hewitt this year beating Andy in the Wimbledon finals.
Mark circa Wimbledon 03 is LONG gone buddy, don't bring him up because there's no way in hell he would be able to get back that form (though agrees with you). Hewitt would have been a fave if they would have faced off, but you just never know now do you.

liptea
08-11-2005, 04:30 AM
It's like asking what kind of tennis player Rafa would be without those wedgies.

fenomeno2111
08-11-2005, 04:38 AM
It's like asking what kind of tennis player Rafa would be without those wedgies.

:rolls: :rolls: ROTFLMAO :rolls: :rolls: .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is kinda dumb to start with this questioning, we all know that Roddick needs to improve a lot of aspects of his game to be a complete player, but hey... he has been on top10 for a lot of time and i don't think that's easy to get done...every player has a weapon and Roddick has a big one and that's his serve

LoveFifteen
08-11-2005, 05:40 AM
I think Ivo Karlovic is the greatest proof that Roddick is definitely more than an killer serve.

Pea
08-11-2005, 06:15 AM

It might actually make him a better player. He may concentrate more on the match, perhaps.

Auscon
08-11-2005, 06:48 AM
it's just much easier for people to pick at Roddick because his strength can win him points without his opponent ever getting the chance to play in a point, unlike guys who'se strengths are speed, fh/bh, determination etc

If he didnt have his serve, he would've developed other areas of his game to the point where he would still be up there with the elite

nobama
08-11-2005, 10:52 AM
If he didnt have his serve, he would've developed other areas of his game to the point where he would still be up there with the eliteHe still needs to do that because we're seeing he can't always count on his serve - guys are reading it better and returning better against him. Surely if he ever wants to beat Roger or Lleyton again he's going to have to work on other aspects of his game, like his movement and net game.

El Legenda
08-11-2005, 04:45 PM

for this comment i get bad rep from TGS with this respone

TGS: how many TMS or slams has Ljubicic won

:haha: was ljubicic ever supose to do that?

idiot.

partygirl
08-11-2005, 11:20 PM
well i dont think a comment like that deserves approval....do you- really?

nolop
05-13-2007, 05:41 PM
i think he is, if his serve is breakeble then he is lost :shrug:

Burrow
05-13-2007, 05:45 PM
debatable, good ground strokes and also a good mentality, very determined and pumped up.

LoveFifteen
05-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Roddick is not just a serve. If Roddick were just a serve, he would have results like Karlovic.

Fee
05-13-2007, 06:01 PM
what an original question.

Horatio Caine
05-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Nope, he has "variety" in other parts of his game. If you want a player who is "just something," look no further than Lalo. He is just ass, and that doesn't just describe his tennis :tape:

sodman12
05-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Roddick is not just a serve. If Roddick were just a serve, he would have results like Karlovic.

Yep.

Also if a lot of people get broken they are done in the set.

You don't get to number one in the world with just one shot. It just doesn't happen.

RickDaStick
05-13-2007, 06:06 PM
No he is not all serve, his over head smash is pretty good too.

Burrow
05-13-2007, 06:09 PM

:haha:

case
05-13-2007, 06:13 PM
:haha: without his serve roddick couldnt play his way out of a paper bag!

ChinoRios4Ever
05-13-2007, 06:18 PM
49965959593943 threads asking the same question since i started to post here in MTF...

nolop
05-13-2007, 06:23 PM
49965959593943 threads asking the same question since i started to post here in MTF...

well one more shouldnt hurt

BigAlbinoDonky
05-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Roddick isn't a top-10 player without his serve, for sure. I don't think it's fair to say he's "all serve" or anything like that. If Roddick had an average serve, say like Blake's, then I think his groundstrokes are good enough for him to be Top 40 or 50 still. He does still have one of the better forehands on tour, and his backhand isn't completely garbage anymore. Then again, if Roddick didn't have his serve, he likely would have better groundstrokes.

sodman12
05-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Roddick isn't a top-10 player without his serve, for sure. I don't think it's fair to say he's "all serve" or anything like that. If Roddick had an average serve, say like Blake's, then I think his groundstrokes are good enough for him to be Top 40 or 50 still. He does still have one of the better forehands on tour, and his backhand isn't completely garbage anymore. Then again, if Roddick didn't have his serve, he likely would have better groundstrokes.

If you took away any top 10 players best shot i doubt any would be in the top ten. And by shot i mean there best attribute. (fighter, defense)

Plus if you took away andy's serve then how is he gonna get the point started? I guess he could mike chang it.:)

FluffyYellowBall
05-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Is nolop a retard?

Snowwy
05-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Exactly

nolop
05-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Is nolop a retard?

is fuckieyellowass boring?

Jimnik
05-13-2007, 06:33 PM
THIS THREAD SUCKS BECAUSE: (Place X where applies)

[X] This topic did not need a separate thread
[_] Fake account
[_] It asks when and/or will Nadal become #1 in the world
[_] It is a Nadal v Federer thread where making sense is prohibited
[_] It assumes Federer will forever be on top of the tennis world
[_] It is a lame ass troll attempt
[_] It is a “Threaten to leave” thread
[_] It was started by Rafa=FedKilla
[_] It over hypes players that don’t deserve it
[_] It contains the Croatian contingent in a argument either among themselves or with others
[_] It was started by JustCause
[_] Original Posters grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It claims Player X career is over after 1 bad loss
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[_] It is a serious discussion of a exhibition match
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year olds career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It has the word Gilbert in the subject line
[_] It discusses doubles when its not a Davis Cup weekend
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clowns chances at a clay event or in a individual match against a competent clay player
[_] It is the annual thread where people bitch about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] LOL Jerry Seinfeld
[_] To much sex talk in this thread
[_] It speculates whether player X is on dope without any evidence
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[X] Use the damn search engine
[_] It accuses the loser of choking when he did nothing of the sort
[_] It talks about fake injuries and/or fake injury time outs
[_] Cramp is called a injury
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[_] It claims females can be competitive with males in any form of tennis
[_] Wrong forum, douche

The_Nadal_effect
No, Roddick isn't just a serve,
...He also has a good sense of humour and a great choice in movies.

Burrow
Is nolop a retard?

nah your a retard for changing roger to rogelio :retard:

Burrow
05-13-2007, 06:34 PM

[_] Fake account
[_] It contains the Croatian contingent in a argument either among themselves or with others
[_] Original Posters grammar makes me suspect the post was written by 4 year old
[_] It tries to determine the best player ever (on any surface) for the 200th time
[_] It asks when or if a young player will ever reach their potential after a totally expected loss
[_] It proclaims a 16-18 year olds career is finished after a couple of first round losses
[_] It is a serious discussion of a clay clowns chances at a clay event or in a individual match against a competent clay player
[_] It is the annual thread where people bitch about clay courters not showing up and embarrassing themselves on grass
[_] LOL Jerry Seinfeld
[_] It asks/assumes Safin is finished in tennis after a totally expected few first round loss to the local baker in the first round of small tournament X
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[_] Wrong forum, douche

you point out the thread and im sure the thread starter will go to it.

Jimnik
05-13-2007, 06:37 PM
you point out the thread and im sure the thread starter will go to it.
Why would I want to? It was just as stupid the first time it was discussed as it is now.

sodman12
05-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Is nolop a retard?

Yes someone needs to ban his mac adress. muahahaha. doubt he knows how to bypass that.

Pfloyd
05-13-2007, 06:42 PM
He's got a forehand too....

RickDaStick
05-13-2007, 06:42 PM
nolop why the barrage of posts lately? When you 1st joined you hardly ever posted on here. Did your grade school finally let out?

RickDaStick
05-13-2007, 06:43 PM
He's got a forehand too....

He used to have a forehand...

gusman890
05-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Is roddick just a serve?

than are Blake, Davydenko, Agassi and Ljubicic Baldies without a cause?

FluffyYellowBall
05-13-2007, 06:44 PM

[_] Fake account
[_] LOL Jerry Seinfeld
[_] BROKEN CAPS LOCK
[_] Wrong forum, douche

Can u please ask whoever's responsible for editing this to add [_] It was started by nolop???

vincayou
05-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Are you Just cause in disguise?

Jimnik
05-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Can u please ask whoever's responsible for editing this to add [_] It was started by nolop???
I already did, last week. But we can add it ourselves, I don't think Hitchhiker is around much these days.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=91251&page=6

FluffyYellowBall
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Are you Just cause in disguise?

Yea out of all the countries id pick Egypt.:cool: ..How random:o

nolop
05-13-2007, 06:56 PM
nolop why the barrage of posts lately? When you 1st joined you hardly ever posted on here. Did your grade school finally let out?

i was on vacation and really im more interested in wta than atp :cool:

Black Adam
05-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Is nolop a retard?
Yes and is probably related to Just Cause if they aren't the same.

If he is just a serve, then it's one hell of serve because it got him a slam, 3 slam finals, number one ranking, 4TMS and 20 titles in total. Don't see other "only-a-serve-player" that acheived things like this.

Common sense should show you that if this were true, then Karlovic and Ljubicic would have more fruitful careers.:rolleyes:

Black Adam
05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
He used to have a forehand...
Maybe but he now has a back, a decent volley, good passing shots, composure under pressure and knows how to get in the head of an adversary.

mashamaniac
05-13-2007, 07:11 PM
i think he is, if his serve is breakeble then he is lost :shrug:

is nolop just a fucking thread starter?? you seems to be enjoying of making tons of useless threads and polls,is it all you've got to do??:mad: :confused:

FluffyYellowBall
05-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I already did, last week. But we can add it ourselves, I don't think Hitchhiker is around much these days.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=91251&page=6

well good coz i will be tempted to use it these days because of an ongoing MTF epidemic called nolop:o

nolop
05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
no one ever has explained to me why my threads are useless even more if are useless why they post in there in the first place :tape: some people want to ban me from the board, and id never received a warning of any kind, so back off :wavey:

FluffyYellowBall
05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Yes and is probably related to Just Cause if they aren't the same.

If he is just a serve, then it's one hell of serve because it got him a slam, 3 slam finals, number one ranking, 4TMS and 20 titles in total. Don't see other "only-a-serve-player" that acheived things like this.

Common sense should show you that if this were true, then Karlovic and Ljubicic would have more fruitful careers.:rolleyes:

Are these tennis players?:rolleyes:

Loremaster
05-13-2007, 07:27 PM

Ljubicic is all not all serve he has nice hair

mashamaniac
05-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Ljubicic is all not all serve he has nice hair

that's so true...:) :haha:

Black Adam
05-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Are these tennis players?:rolleyes:
Their serves keep them playing Tennis and some times winning things, so yes their are tennis players. Without their serves retirement would be the first option or challengers.