Mathieu OUTGUNS Roddick 7-5 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mathieu OUTGUNS Roddick 7-5 6-3

Bilbo
08-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Roddick continues his poor form :yeah:

one hell of a match by mathieu and good for agassi

Eve83
08-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Holy shit...Paul´s serves must have been awesome.

Andy...seriously now...

lucashg
08-10-2005, 12:58 AM
And he finished with an ace. Great result, Mathieu.

Roddick :o

Fergie
08-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Great match Paulo, congrats!!! :woohoo:

Julio1974
08-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm so happy for PHM... He really deserved it... Congrats !!!!!!!

Havok
08-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Mathieu played out of his ass the whole entire maych, Roddick played like ASS the whole entire match the result isn't shocking really. Coming into the match I think everyone would have predicted an easy straight set win for Andy, but when we play like shit we don't deserve to lose. Only Nadal and Agassi remain as big names, everyone else is "shit" to the average tennis fan. Oh and Canada continues its curse with the seeds falling out early and often (just extremely shocked that Andy's one of them because he had an insanely consistent record here in Canada, and a handful of people can say that). Well done to PHM, but lets not fuck this opportunity up, take advantage of it.:D He plays entertaining tennis, well done.

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 01:01 AM
Mathieu :worship: outplayed, outmanouvered, and just did everything better than Andy. He had some outstanding winners and got several standing ovations from the crowd.

GonzoFan
08-10-2005, 01:02 AM
RODDICK !!!! :eek:
This is the first time I bet on you and you lost !!!! :mad:

well ... CONGRATS MATHIEU ! great win ... ;)

Havok
08-10-2005, 01:02 AM
Holy shit...Paul´s serves must have been awesome.

Andy...seriously now...
They actually were awesome :worship:. It allowed him tohold serve easily and not let his mind get caught up in the moment.

trulliscorpion
08-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Paul-Henri Mathieu finishing Andy Roddick off with an ace.. No nerves! That's incredibly rare...

Julio1974
08-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Great match Paulo, congrats!!! :woohoo:

This is the first time we agree on something... I wonder who is wrong (j/k).

liptea
08-10-2005, 01:04 AM
:sad: Poor Andy.

dukeblue5
08-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Roddick you doushe... :retard: :help:

+alonso
08-10-2005, 01:05 AM
:bounce: Very good Mathieu..;) Congrats :woohoo:

Bilbo
08-10-2005, 01:07 AM
I hope anyone can upload this match on torrent. I wanna see it.

Regenbogen
08-10-2005, 01:08 AM
wow.....that was some amazing stuff from mathieu :eek: i guess i'm sad about andy, but mathieu totally deserved to win

Pea
08-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Congrats PH! What a match! He pretty much dictated the entire match.

bad gambler
08-10-2005, 01:09 AM
congrats to PHM :silly:

+alonso
08-10-2005, 01:11 AM
:lol:

delsa
08-10-2005, 01:11 AM
:woohoo: Unbelievable! :woohoo:

Paul-Henri Mathieu finishing Andy Roddick off with an ace.. No nerves! That's incredibly rare...

I couldn't believe it! :bounce: Until the last minute, i was sure something would happen and he'll loose his serve...:lol:
Fantastic for your confidence Paulo! Now get back on track, please! Uncredibly unlucky? They won't let you have good draws not even once? Nevermind! Play your heart out and provoke upsets! ;)
Well done Paulo! :worship:
Although Paulo really did play well and with heart, i'm sure, Andy wasn't playing at his best it seems (i'll see tomorrow with the replay...). And i'm not sure Paulo would have won had Roddick played at his best level... :sad: So i hope he regains his top form before the USO...

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-10-2005, 01:12 AM
RODDICK !!!! :eek:
This is the first time I bet on you and you lost !!!! :mad:

well ... CONGRATS MATHIEU ! great win ... ;)

I tried it before when he was against Ginepri but lost lots of money too. :o

So I don't bet on him now even though I thought Paulo would lose. :eek: But Congrats Paulo, :crazy::aparty::woohoo: you deserve to win! :kiss:

El Legenda
08-10-2005, 01:12 AM
:haha: talk about a really overrated one slam wonder player.

DanEd
08-10-2005, 01:13 AM
wonderful match by mathieu, great serving permance, great consistency, great shotmaking, great returning, great mental strenght :eek:

:worship: :banana: :bounce:

delsa
08-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Now i just hope that the "bad PHM" won't come back to haunt him in his next match...:scared:

It's not that often that we can celebrate a huge win from you, Paulo. Make this last a little longer, please!...

njnetswill
08-10-2005, 01:16 AM
:haha: talk about a really overrated one slam wonder player.

He did reach number one for his credit...

I'm not terribly sorry to see Andy lose though. :p

Great play PHM. :cool:

onewoman74
08-10-2005, 01:18 AM
:woohoo: Unbelievable! :woohoo:

I couldn't believe it! :bounce: Until the last minute, i was sure something would happen and he'll loose his serve...:lol:
Fantastic for your confidence Paulo! Now get back on track! Uncredibly unlucky? They won't let you have good draws not even once? Nevermind! Play your heart out and provoke upsets! ;)
Well done Paulo! :worship:
Although Paulo really did play well and with heart, i'm sure, Andy wasn't playing at his best it seems (i'll see tomorrow with the replay...). :sad: So i hope he regains his top form before the USO...

Isn't that sad that u expect the worst from Mathieu?

He did himself proud tonight...he played a great match against Roddick...the highlight was that amazing get from the back of the court...sweet!!

Corey Feldman
08-10-2005, 01:18 AM
great PHM :yeah:

mitalidas
08-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Allez :yeah:

Any chance ESPN will replay?

EDIT: Of course they won't. Believe it or not, they're showing the nadal match again

tennyfan
08-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Wow. What a shocker! Short match too. What is ESPN showing for the last hour of their broadcast. Let me guess ... Nadal Moya again?

liptea
08-10-2005, 01:20 AM
Roddick you doushe... :retard: :help:

it's douche. Just for clarification.

tangerine_dream
08-10-2005, 01:20 AM
Paul's serves were terrific. Andy was misfiring very badly. All night. He was *bad*. Losing ugly is worse than winning ugly. Andy should write that book.

So congrats to PHM on a huge win for him and whoohoo Andy you ROCK!!!!! :hearts: :woohoo: Go read a book in the dark. :rocker: :cool: :dance: :banana: :bounce:

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Paul's serves were terrific. Andy was misfiring very badly. All night. He was *bad*. Losing ugly is worse than winning ugly. Andy should write that book.

So congrats to PHM on a huge win for him and whoohoo Andy you ROCK!!!!! :hearts: :woohoo: Go read a book in the dark. :rocker: :cool: :dance: :banana: :bounce:

:lol: I love reading your posts too funny

delsa
08-10-2005, 01:22 AM
Isn't that sad that u expect the worst from Mathieu?

He did himself proud tonight...he played a great match against Roddick...the highlight was that amazing get from the back of the court...sweet!!
It's not sad. I prepare myself for the worst not to be disappointed since the most incredible nerve-wrecking scenarios can happen each time he's involved (believe me...). I don't excpect the worse from him. Always the best. But i don't forget he's capable of the best as well as the worst... (Does that make any sense? :o )

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 01:23 AM
It's not sad. I prepare myself for the worst not to be disappointed since the most increduble nerve-wrecking scenarios can happen each time he's involved (believe me...). I don't excpect the worse from him. Always the best. But i don't forget he's capable of the best as well as the worst... (Does that make any sence? :o )

Makes absolute sense, he should have won so many matches, but his head just does a walkabout at the worst of times

SAtennis
08-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Let's boil water! The duck is ready to be cooked again. :devil:

Clara Bow
08-10-2005, 01:35 AM
Well- maybe PHM's coach will make a difference. Some of his shots tonight were outstanding.

The sparkly things on his shirt were mesmerizing.

I still think Andy could do well the rest of the hc season. But he is losing more and more of these types of matches in this way. To steal from tangy, losing ugly a'int pretty.

mitalidas
08-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Well- maybe PHM's coach will make a difference. Some of his shots tonight were outstanding.

I still think Andy could do well the rest of the hc season. But he is losing more and more of these types of matches in this way. To steal from tangy, losing ugly a'int pretty.

What is surprising is that he lost to PHM, who is not known to be able to close out scalps like this. I am not so sure about the rest of the HC season. It depends on how hard his confidence took a hit with the losses to such players --Ginepri, PHM-- on HC. This is his best surface by a mile
The HC season suddenly is looking wider open than before

*julie*
08-10-2005, 01:38 AM
I am so happy of this win. He didn't choke and showed a great mental strenght. I hope it will give him confidence. He deseves it
:worship:

delsa
08-10-2005, 01:57 AM
He's with his third coach this season so far. I hope Tulasne is the good one at last. And i hope he'll bring his son to every PHM match from now on. He seems to bring good luck to the "unlucky" Paulo... :o :devil:

lizabeth..*
08-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Paulo :banana:

Cannot wait to see the replay. Bleedin time differences!

mitalidas
08-10-2005, 01:59 AM
This is the best thing that could have happened to popularize nadal in North America. They are showing his match again (and I'm sure its not the last time!).

onewoman74
08-10-2005, 02:01 AM
It's not sad. I prepare myself for the worst not to be disappointed since the most incredible nerve-wrecking scenarios can happen each time he's involved (believe me...). I don't excpect the worse from him. Always the best. But i don't forget he's capable of the best as well as the worst... (Does that make any sence? :o )

makes sense...

rofe
08-10-2005, 02:11 AM
That was an excellent match - if you are a PHM fan and a tennis fan. PHM's backhand down-the-line was Safinesque :D

Andy just could not get his serve together and that led to a serious loss of confidence.

It was pathetic to watch Roddick look at his coach from time to time and basically indicate that he was unable to control the ball on his groundies. Apparently, the court is playing really fast and Andy it seems was unable to adjust to PHM's blistering pace.

Really good win for PHM. PHM won the match, Andy did not lose it.

TheBoiledEgg
08-10-2005, 02:19 AM
omg Paulo :woohoo: :banana: :D :)

delsa
08-10-2005, 02:23 AM
makes sense...
Sorry for the orthograph. It's a typo... :o

bjorn4tennis92
08-10-2005, 02:26 AM
congrats mathieu!!!

Rosa Luxembourg
08-10-2005, 02:31 AM
oh my... :eek:

and to think of it, PMac and Gilbert couldn't stop blah-blah-blah about Roddick's great form :haha: :rolleyes:

Scotso
08-10-2005, 02:39 AM
:worship:

Paialii
08-10-2005, 02:40 AM

and to think of it, PMac and Gilbert couldn't stop blah-blah-blah about Roddick's great form :haha: :rolleyes:

... his great form in Washington, where the court was playing a LOT slower.

Andy misfired too much to even stay in the rallies, and granted Mathieu was playing some OUTSTANDING tennis, Andy wasn't doing a good job of adjusting himself. Total mental lapses on his part tonight, not to mention he couldn't buy a first serve at all, and the few that he was getting in, Mathieu was just bunting back, forcing Andy to play it out.

In any case, Mathieu came out there without a fear in the world, took it to Andy and it paid off. Hope he does well; that half of the draw is wide open for him to succeed should he play well like this.

Andy, get rested up and show us that you're still able to compete at the bigger tournaments, would ya?

nobama
08-10-2005, 02:43 AM

and to think of it, PMac and Gilbert couldn't stop blah-blah-blah about Roddick's great form :haha: :rolleyes:Are they still going to say that Roddick is the favorite on HC? :lol: I like Roddick and I'm bummed that he lost, but I was getting sick of PMac and Gilbert going on and on about Andy's great form. He hasn't won a major tournament this year - no TMS, no GS. Yeah he played decent against Blake last week, but Blake also gifted a couple games to him with some sloppy play. Other than that Blake was going toe to toe with Roddick and reading his serve well. If Roddick's serve isn't on or the other guy is reading it well, returning well, he's screwed. At Wimbledon his average was 16 aces per match, against Fed he had only 7. Tonight he was out-aced by Mathieu. I think it's time for team Roddick to go back to the drawing board. :sad:

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 02:48 AM

:worship: Well said over at the Canadian channel they were praising Roddick left, right and center at how many adjustments he has made to his game in the last few months bleh bleh bleh. I was so pissed off that they were completely ignoring Mathieu, bleeding wankers :ras:

Plz keep it up Paulo

PaulieM
08-10-2005, 02:50 AM
phm played great and i'm so proud of him :yippee: now let's hope the great play doesn't end in the next round :unsure:

Auscon
08-10-2005, 02:50 AM
wow, even though I like Roddick thesedays, this is still a pretty cool result :)

rofe
08-10-2005, 02:57 AM

Well PMac and Gilbert have to say that 'cause the US public needs some heroes in tennis to make it more popular in the US - at least that is what these commentators think...

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 02:59 AM
:smash: I am so angry at myself for not recording this match. I was too nervous the entire match expecting the worse, shame on me :o

rofe
08-10-2005, 03:04 AM
:smash: I am so angry at myself for not recording this match. I was too nervous the entire match expecting the worse, shame on me :o

I feel sorry - it was an excellent match. PHM played really well. Incredible number of winners from him. Having said that, I recorded the complete match. I am going to watch it again. :nerner: :D

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 03:08 AM
I feel sorry - it was an excellent match. PHM played really well. Incredible number of winners from him. Having said that, I recorded the complete match. I am going to watch it again. :nerner: :D

Thanks for rubbing it in :ras: enjoy the match again for me too will ya ;)

jmgsdoubsprtnr
08-10-2005, 03:09 AM
awesome. f*ck yes, PHM. you are amazing, and you are my hero. i knew he could pull this off!!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

silverwhite
08-10-2005, 03:24 AM
Paulo :eek: May this be a start of something good. :worship:

DanEd
08-10-2005, 03:34 AM
lucky for paulo he has not to play against his daddy chucho acasuso (btw he lost again as usual what a loser is:rolleyes: )

so he will play clement. a very winnable match :yeah:

bad gambler
08-10-2005, 03:53 AM
lucky for paulo he has not to play against his daddy chucho acasuso (btw he lost again as usual what a loser is:rolleyes: )

chucho may have lost but it wasn't due to a lack of trying

darnyelb
08-10-2005, 04:10 AM
Man, Mathieu kicked ass in that match. But I was one of those who felt he would choke it at the end (or that Roddick would finally step it up), but it was never to be. The look PHM's face at the end said it all how focused he was to notch this win.

After the match, Patrick McEnroe made a point of insisting that despite the win, Mathieu was not top 10 material. And excuses were made about Roddick just arriving and not getting to try out the stadium court beforehand.

Does anyone know what this loss does to Roddick's ranking points and how he might now place? I know he already lost them for Canada a few weeks ago because of scheduling, but didn't know what this week meant for his numbers.

rue
08-10-2005, 04:49 AM
I watched the first set only and Mathieu was playing really well. He deserved the win today. Now lets hope that he keeps it up and does not lose tomorrow.

Dirk
08-10-2005, 05:00 AM
Man, Mathieu kicked ass in that match. But I was one of those who felt he would choke it at the end (or that Roddick would finally step it up), but it was never to be. The look PHM's face at the end said it all how focused he was to notch this win.

After the match, Patrick McEnroe made a point of insisting that despite the win, Mathieu was not top 10 material. And excuses were made about Roddick just arriving and not getting to try out the stadium court beforehand.

Does anyone know what this loss does to Roddick's ranking points and how he might now place? I know he already lost them for Canada a few weeks ago because of scheduling, but didn't know what this week meant for his numbers.

Andy will lose 350 points.

ugotlobbed
08-10-2005, 05:10 AM
WOW ok i went to play tennis after watching nadalmoya and roddick and coria lost..

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 05:15 AM
Paulo played very well and I thought he would choke when it got close as he usually does, but he served for the match and handled it very well.

Roddick looked very flat and was whining about the fast conditions, which in theory should have helped him. It's simple Andy, if the balls are flying long, aim for a bit shorter in the court.

Mathieu stepped up to the plate and played very well, especially on return of serve, and his backhand down the line was working well, a very good performance from Paulo.

*Ljubica*
08-10-2005, 05:29 AM
I woke up this morning, switched on the TV to get the results on "teletext" and couldn't believe it......well done Paul-Henri :worship: I am really pleased for him, and look forward to recording the highlights this afternoon and watching it at leisure. Great result!

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 05:33 AM

I fucking hate PMac :mad:

sports freak
08-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Paulo played very well and I thought he would choke when it got close as he usually does, but he served for the match and handled it very well.

Roddick looked very flat and was whining about the fast conditions, which in theory should have helped him. It's simple Andy, if the balls are flying long, aim for a bit shorter in the court.

Mathieu stepped up to the plate and played very well, especially on return of serve, and his backhand down the line was working well, a very good performance from Paulo.

Congrats PHM on an awesome win,the better player on the day won!! :worship:

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 05:45 AM
Congrats PHM on an awesome win,the better player on the day won!! :worship:

Yes, I have bagged PHM in the past and will do so in the future, but on this day he only deserves praise for his performance.

darnyelb
08-10-2005, 05:45 AM
I fucking hate PMac :mad:

I did think PMac was right about Mathieu, but he was almost gleeful in the way he said it. Weird.

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 05:53 AM
I did think PMac was right about Mathieu, but he was almost gleeful in the way he said it. Weird.

The reason why I hate PMac is that he is not objective, during RG he was completely dissing on Puerta, and ever since I cant stand listening to him. I love Rafa and Fed but PMac would trade his wife and kids for Rafa :rolleyes:

sports freak
08-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Yes, I have bagged PHM in the past and will do so in the future, but on this day he only deserves praise for his performance.

I dont blame ya,his definetely one of those players!!i use to bag JCF ages ago b4 he end up winning the French open finally,i know how you feel some players dont play to their max ability a majority of the time!!!!I thought JC was going to achieve abit more then what he has!!!but thats IMO!!!

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 05:57 AM
I dont blame ya,his definetely one of those players!!i use to bag JCF ages ago b4 he end up winning the French open finally,i know how you feel some players dont play to their max ability a majority of the time!!!!I thought JC was going to achieve abit more then what he has!!!but thats IMO!!!

Actually I am not a fan of PHM generally, but the thing is if he goes out there and does the business, then that's fine. As for Ferrero that's a whole another league and a totally different situation.

sports freak
08-10-2005, 06:08 AM
Actually I am not a fan of PHM generally, but the thing is if he goes out there and does the business, then that's fine. As for Ferrero that's a whole another league and a totally different situation.

PHM has got some talents behind,just got to know how to use his brain + talent together and consistently,ok Ferrero is in another league too much talent just needs Hewitts tennis brain and mental toughness!!!

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 06:11 AM
PHM has got some talents behind,just got to know how to use his brain + talent together and consistently,ok Ferrero is in another league too much talent just needs Hewitts tennis brain!!!

PHM will have the odd big win, but won't be consistent. Ferrero isn't that talented actually, but that's another subject for another time.

sports freak
08-10-2005, 06:24 AM
PHM will have the odd big win, but won't be consistent. Ferrero isn't that talented actually, but that's another subject for another time.

Ferroro for me is very talented and has the game,just dont have the tennis brains and mental toughness like Hewitt!!For me the bloke is underachieving and this is no offence but if he had thinkin of say Coria and Toughness of Hewitt then watch out only problem is he drops his head to easy another words gives up when its not happening for him!He has all the shots in the world!!! If he was alot smarter player like Hewitt then you would give him more credit,some players have all the talent just dont use it as effective as others!!!!Talent wise Ferreo has plenty!!

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 06:53 AM
PHM will probably lose to Clement in straight sets.

MariaV
08-10-2005, 06:58 AM
George!!!! :toothy: :fiery:

Allez Paulo!!!!!!! :bigclap: :bounce:

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 07:00 AM
George!!!! :toothy: :fiery:

Allez Paulo!!!!!!! :bigclap: :bounce:

Only stating a possible outcome.

silverwhite
08-10-2005, 07:00 AM
I finally watched it. Roddick was awfully flat. Paulo served very well and did not let up, which was the key. To be honest, groundstrokes wise, this was not the best I've seen Paulo play. His serve got him through today.

delsa
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
I finally watched it. Roddick was awfully flat. Paulo served very well and did not let up, which was the key. To be honest, groundstrokes wise, this was not the best I've seen Paulo play. His serve got him through today.
He read Roddick's serve well too...I'll be able to watch it in one hour (on tape :banana:...)!

delsa
08-10-2005, 07:05 AM
Only stating a possible outcome.
True but you could have kept that for yourself... Let us celebrate this for once before starting to worry... ;)

silverwhite
He read Roddick's serve well too...I'll be able to watch it in one hour (on tape :banana:...)!

Yeah, that too. Roddick wasn't serving at his usual speed though. But Paulo frustrated him by getting so many first serves back. :)

Mrs. B
should have placed my bet on Mathieu. 2nd time i bet big time on the Duck and lost again. :rolleyes:

oneandonlyhsn
08-10-2005, 07:12 AM

George I usually love you but :ras: :nerner: and if Mathieu loses I am coming after you :armed:

Choupi
08-10-2005, 07:12 AM
I haven't watched the match. But what a nice and happy surprise this morning! :) Thanks Paulo. Not bad for a player who has been playing mostly on clay only since RG...Yet, next match against La Clé won't be easy. Not so much because of the level of the game, but because those 2 know far too well, and that's always complicated to play under those circumstances...Anyway, good luck to both, as I don't feel like making any pronostic. :)

sports freak
08-10-2005, 07:13 AM

That actually wont suprise me,look at the Davis cup when Igor smashed him in 3 sets!!!!only way he will win is if he can back it up on his serve like last game!!!Clement wont do any damage wit his serves so PHM has the upper hand and whether he make most of this situation,who knows!!!!PHM should get confidence from the win over A-rod but too much confidence can back fire!!!but sayin all that PHM will win!!!most likely in 2 sets aswell cos i cant see Clement breaking him especially if he serves well again!!!!

silverwhite
08-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Yes. The next match will be a psychologically testing one. And we know how Paulo can be mentally sometimes. :lol: Hopefully, he'll take advantage of the draw to do some damage and get his ranking up. :)

delsa
08-10-2005, 07:24 AM
Yes. The next match will be a psychologically testing one. And we know how Paulo can be mentally sometimes. :lol: Hopefully, he'll take advantage of the draw to do some damage and get his ranking up. :) Like in RG when he was two points away from reaching the quarterfinals (and even the semis since Kiefer who would have been his opponent withdrew and Cañas had a w.o to the semis...) and missed easy shots...:tape:

silverwhite
08-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Like in RG when he was two points away from reaching the quarterfinals and missed easy shots...:tape:

ONE point. And that smash which could have given him his 3rd MP. :o

But let's look to the future and hope for better things, shall we? :lol:

dukeblue5
08-10-2005, 07:41 AM
it's douche. Just for clarification.

That's what I thought. Though I've never really understood why. The way it's pronounced you would guess it's doushe but it's not. Weird.

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 07:42 AM
George I usually love you but :ras: :nerner: and if Mathieu loses I am coming after you :armed:

I won't be that hard to find and if it was a preference I'd rather Mathieu win over the dwarf, but it will more than likely go the other way.

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 07:43 AM
That actually wont suprise me,look at the Davis cup when Igor smashed him in 3 sets!!!!only way he will win is if he can back it up on his serve like last game!!!Clement wont do any damage wit his serves so PHM has the upper hand and whether he make most of this situation,who knows!!!!PHM should get confidence from the win over A-rod but too much confidence can back fire!!!but sayin all that PHM will win!!!most likely in 2 sets aswell cos i cant see Clement breaking him especially if he serves well again!!!!

Davis Cup is different and Clement knows Mathieu very well, so that changes things.

alelysafina
08-10-2005, 07:47 AM
I watched the whole thing! it was a great match! Andy was just PHM's puppet!! Great match PHM and lets hope your confidence from this match carries through to the next round!!! :yeah:

David Kenzie
08-10-2005, 08:42 AM
At least that means Gasquet will be on center court now ;)

yomike
08-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Mathieu has not been so lucky in the draw this year. Playing Federer in first round at wimby, Coria in clay and .... It's was really time that he showed these guys that there not gonna be to happy playing him in the first round again.

Bibir
08-10-2005, 09:24 AM
should have placed my bet on Mathieu. 2nd time i bet big time on the Duck and lost again. :rolleyes:

You should never bet on animals (duck, hippo, weasel...) except the rabbit. :)

Black Adam
08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Now Andy this is getting serious . ;MAD;

nobama
08-10-2005, 10:52 AM
After the match, Patrick McEnroe made a point of insisting that despite the win, Mathieu was not top 10 material. And excuses were made about Roddick just arriving and not getting to try out the stadium court beforehand.Of course they're going to make excuses for Roddick because they're the ones who've been talking him up these past few weeks, saying he's the favorite on HC, how good his form is, ect. But before the match I don't remember PMac or Gilbert talking about Andy being tired, or not having time to adjust to the court, ect. They didn't give Mathieu a chance at all. What was really laughable was during the match Gilbert saying that slower hard courts are better for Roddick. This is the same guy who said Roddick was the favorite in this US Open Series, where most tournaments are played on faster hard courts. :lol:

Ome
08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
All that matters is Paulo won this match...
And God, this is GREAT! ;)

:hug:

C3PO
08-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Bravo Paulo! :) I'm very surprised by this victory :eek:

blosson
08-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Andy is just wasting all the best chances he had this year. Everytime players like Roger and Leyton are out, Andy manages to make his way out early too.

TheBoiledEgg
08-10-2005, 11:50 AM
it went so quick that choke boy didnt even have time to think.
all he could dream of was some stuffed duck ;)

uNIVERSE mAN
08-10-2005, 12:42 PM

sparkly? I thought he threw up.

Billabong
08-10-2005, 12:43 PM
whoa:eek:!!!

Aleksa's Laydee
08-10-2005, 12:47 PM
oh my god!!! :eek:

onewoman74
08-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Of course they're going to make excuses for Roddick because they're the ones who've been talking him up these past few weeks, saying he's the favorite on HC, how good his form is, ect. But before the match I don't remember PMac or Gilbert talking about Andy being tired, or not having time to adjust to the court, ect. They didn't give Mathieu a chance at all. What was really laughable was during the match Gilbert saying that slower hard courts are better for Roddick. This is the same guy who said Roddick was the favorite in this US Open Series, where most tournaments are played on faster hard courts. :lol:

That talk is so typical from Pat Mac and BG...they have no sense of objectivity. As you watch they match you must filter out their excuses. Of course Cliffy is usually partial and never falls into that trap...well I'm PHM proved the naysayers wrong...now he must win his second round match!!

ExpectedWinner
08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
PHM played OK, but Roddick was pathetic. Sure his game doesn't rely on his brain, but I've never seen him playing that dumb. He was hitting w/o any purpose whatsoever.

Nimomunz
08-10-2005, 01:22 PM
roddick need to develop a plan B game what to do when your getting fucked and how to change it.
plus he should really calm the eff down.

hablovah19
08-10-2005, 01:35 PM
:worship: Well said over at the Canadian channel they were praising Roddick left, right and center at how many adjustments he has made to his game in the last few months bleh bleh bleh. I was so pissed off that they were completely ignoring Mathieu, bleeding wankers :ras:

Plz keep it up Paulo

you should have watched the match on RDS :lol: :angel:

bravo P H Mathieu :banana:

well done :yeah:

RebelNYC
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Best news of the evening!

spritzer
08-10-2005, 02:37 PM
I thought that the commentators at TSN were very fair and objective about the match. They marvelled at PHM's serve and playmaking and were forthright in saying that Roddick didn't bring his best game, if he even showed up at all (gamewise of course). They also gave credit to PHM for having beaten some important names in the past, like Sampras and Safin, and stated that on a good day, he can beat the best of them, or at least put up a good fight.
Overall, Canadian commentators on TSN or RDS are very objective as they don't feel that they have to patronize the Americans. They are aware that Canadians know how the US commentators hype up one of their own.

PamV
08-10-2005, 02:50 PM
I wonder what was going on in Roddick's mind. It didn't look like he was very fired up to win that match. One would think he would have been up beat knowing that he wouldn't have to face Federer this time.

I know he had never played Mathieu before, but usually that doesn't pose a problem for Roddick. The commentators seemed to say Roddick's serve was off. Was that true?

Nimomunz
08-10-2005, 02:52 PM
horrible first serve % i kept screaming at my TV get a first serve in buddy! and PHM was reading it like a book. Plus Roddick was being aced by PHM left right and center

sports freak
08-10-2005, 02:57 PM
horrible first serve % i kept screaming at my TV get a first serve in buddy! and PHM was reading it like a book. Plus Roddick was being aced by PHM left right and center

:yeah: samething is gonna happen to Clement!!!PHM to rock n roll

Geniey2g
08-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Wicked match; I saw it this afternoon. Personally, I think after the narrow loss of the first set, Roddick was like "Oh forget it, I need a rest before Cincy next week anyway".

PHM played really well though, and I hope to see him in the 3rd round, at least- let's just hope he keeps his hands away from his throat this week :tape:

delsa
08-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Yeah. Now that i've been able to see the match. One of the first things that surprised me was too see how focused he looked/was. Very very serious. He was like..."on a mission". It was so important for him it seems. And for once he was in the moment all the time. Not thinking of something else as when he panics and chokes... He must keep this attitude.

Jennay
08-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Roddick got spanked. :o :rolleyes: Nice playing, Mathieu.

holagirl56
08-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Whoo! Go Paul Henri! He's the Frenchman that I've supported!

PamV
08-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Wicked match; I saw it this afternoon. Personally, I think after the narrow loss of the first set, Roddick was like "Oh forget it, I need a rest before Cincy next week anyway".

If Roddick gives up that easily it's not going to help his chances in Cincy. Unless you are saying he was truly exhausted after Washington. However, Roger routinely wins back to back tournaments.

oneandonlyhsn
08-11-2005, 02:39 AM
If Roddick gives up that easily it's not going to help his chances in Cincy. Unless you are saying he was truly exhausted after Washington. However, Roger routinely wins back to back tournaments.

And so does Nadal, this was his big chance to get back to #3 for the US Open

nobama
08-11-2005, 05:04 AM
I wanted to vomit listening to PMac on ESPN last night making excuses for Andy, saying that he didin't have time to adjust to the court and conditions, that he's still looking good for Cincy and the US Open (of course he still has a chance to do well there). Would he have said that about any other player (except maybe Agassi) though? I'm sorry but Andy is a top 5 player, he's only 22/23 years old. He should be able to play/win back to back tournaments. Like others have said, Roger and Rafa are able to. They both won back to back AMS events this year where the finals are best of 5 - Roger IW and Miami (winning 12 matches in a row) and Rafa Monte Carlo and Rome (winning 10 matches in a row). Andy should't have been burned out after Washington, especially since he went out early in Indy and didn't play in LA.

Geniey2g
08-11-2005, 11:06 AM
That shouldn't be the case (his exhaustion), but that is what I was saying, yes.

bad gambler
08-11-2005, 12:43 PM
what a match :lol:

Neely
08-11-2005, 01:12 PM
OMG, Andy.... :o :banghead:
I see lots of things happened in the few days I was away... and not only good ones.... :rolleyes:

Now Andy seems to have reached the "I'm in danger to lose against almost anybody on hardcourt" stage :scared:

*julie*
08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
OMG, Andy.... :o :banghead:
I see lots of things happened in the few days I was away... and not only good ones.... :rolleyes:

Now Andy seems to have reached the "I'm in danger to lose against almost anybody on hardcourt" stage :scared:

If you would have seen the match, you would have noticed that Paulo was not "anybody" in this match. ;)

Winston's Human
08-11-2005, 02:52 PM
The reality is that Roddick played like s**t, and Mathieu is too good of a player to beat when you play like s**t.

Put simply, Roddick handed Mathieu the match with his crappy serving and lazy play, and Mathieu said thank you very much.

Nimomunz
08-11-2005, 04:50 PM
If you would have seen the match, you would have noticed that Paulo was not "anybody" in this match. ;)
exactly he was creepily perfect!! :worship:

1sun
08-11-2005, 05:02 PM
The reality is that Roddick played like s**t, and Mathieu is too good of a player to beat when you play like s**t.

Put simply, Roddick handed Mathieu the match with his crappy serving and lazy play, and Mathieu said thank you very much.
how can u say that? mathieu earnt that match, he won it, he outplayed roddick in every department. simply as that. give credit where its due.

oneandonlyhsn
08-11-2005, 05:03 PM

:zzz: Mathieu :banana: