Nadal defeated Moya..6/3, 6/7 and 6/3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal defeated Moya..6/3, 6/7 and 6/3

nermo
08-09-2005, 08:58 PM
congratulations Nadal, :) must have been interesting...second set seemed tough, but the tie break was strangeon score board,( 7/0 ),what was wrong with Nadal

Sorry Moya.. :sad:

Castafiore
08-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Too bad that I had to miss this match. Watching a slow scoreboard on the internet just isn't the same thing as the real deal, is it?

Nadal showed once again what a fighter he can be. Well done, man. :yeah: :)
Really too bad that he had to face Moya in the first round. Sad to see him go.

Is Rafa going to play doubles now? He needs the rest.

superpinkone37
08-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Moya :sad: But he really did start coming back with some amazing shots. The TB score was very surprising but save a df and one or two errors by Rafa, Carlos was just playing like he couldn't miss for those seven point with tons of great winners :eek:

Then Rafa has some weird hand cramping thing halfway through the third, but ended up finally getting the break after like 384538364576345378 break points lol. But congrats Rafa! :banana: :D

I wanted Moya to do well this week too, but he just got unlucky in drawing Rafa first round :(

connectolove
08-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Moya is a good player on hard surfaces, I hope this means that Rafa is starting to get his game on hard. I want him to start beating everybody and become #1, and that means grass and hard surfaces.

oneandonlyhsn
08-09-2005, 09:17 PM
That was the most amazing match in this tournie, amazing rallying, shots, defense and attack. It was just unbelievable.

delsa
08-09-2005, 09:22 PM
That was the most amazing match in this tournie, amazing rallying, shots, defense and attack. It was just unbelievable.
Yeah it was a fantastic match! Well done Rafa! Moya stopped to believe he could win in the end and didn't started the match well but otherwise: what a splendid fight! ;)

liptea
08-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Boo. This score makes me sad.

Seriously, at the end of the second set, I really, really, really, really thought that Carlos would win. :sad: :sad:

I'm going to read Harry Potter, eat chocolate and take a nap./

MariaV
08-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Great match indeed, too bad it had to be the 1st rd. Carlos looked pretty decent to my surprise, hit 7 aces so the shoulder might be better. :D But he had no BPs in the entire match while Nadal had 15 BPs and could convert only 2, 1 in the 1st and 1 in the 3rd set. (:lol: Danielle) The TB was funny, Carlos took the chance, Rafa immediately lost his serve and looked kinda worried, also double faulted, maybe the hand started hurting already. :shrugs: I hope he is gonna be fine. At least he finished the match well. :D VAMOS RAFA!!!!!!! :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:

BlackSilver
08-09-2005, 09:52 PM
I wanted Moya to do well this week too, but he just got unlucky in drawing Rafa first round :(

That's true, but it shouldn't be used as a excuse, since he had great opportunities to win the match at 4/3 in the 3rd and didn't take it. He probably is still thinking how he let it go away

NYCtennisfan
08-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Kind of a weird match. Moya would serve and get down in just aobut every game palying all-time crappy tennis--100 mph serves in the bottom of the net, BH's in the bottom ofthe net. Then he would hit some great FH's and get back in the game. Nadal probably should've taken it in 2 and is going to need to play a LOT better than this to beat a Roddick, Federer, or Agassi on this surface. I think he will play better as the tournament goes along.

jenanun
08-09-2005, 10:03 PM
But he had no BPs in the entire match while Nadal had 15 BPs and could convert only 2, 1 in the 1st and 1 in the 3rd set.

actually moya did have 1 bp in the third set.... just he couldnt get it....

but in general, high standard match... good to see nadal playing well on hard surface as well.... hope he can win a couple of matches on the hard surface this year....

croat123
08-09-2005, 10:08 PM
carlos played terrible when it mattered the most. basically gifted nadal the match :o

Blaze
08-09-2005, 10:19 PM

but in general, high standard match... good to see nadal playing well on hard surface as well.... hope he can win a couple of matches on the hard surface this year....

I disagree, it wasn't high standard at all.

MariaV
08-09-2005, 10:21 PM

Ah yeah, I remember it now, but for some reason they didn't have it in the stats, sorry.

Well, Rafa wasn't at his best .... yet, I hope. But it was a good match to watch. :D

Merton
08-09-2005, 10:26 PM
That was a very good match for first round, very tough for both of them. It seems to me that Rafa has improved his serve, he got quite some cheap points out of it. Other than that, he employed his insane topspin crosscourt forehand to Carlos' backhand, forcing many errors. Carlos had some great winners, it is a pity he got broken by unforced errors in the last set but i am very glad to see that he seems healthy again. :D

Sarah :wavey: i am not sure whether the problem in his arm was blisters or some nerve. In any case, it would be wise to withdraw from doubles as a precaution.

RedFury
08-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Sarah :wavey: i am not sure whether the problem in his arm was blisters or some nerve. In any case, it would be wise to withdraw from doubles as a precaution.

No blisters. He was getting treatment on his forearm area, thus making it more than likely a cramp/muscle problem. However, I agree that he should withdraw from tonight's doubles match.

alexito
08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
yessssss rafaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
congratulations

lucashg
08-09-2005, 11:25 PM
I didn't see the match, unfortunately. It's been so long since I last saw Moya playing well (I guess it was in Indian Wells), I hope his shoulder is ok by now. I really wanted him to do well at this tournament, but getting Nadal on the 1st round just didn't help him. No matter the surface, he's not an opponent you wanna see so soon in your part of the draw.

BlackSilver
08-09-2005, 11:27 PM
BH's in the bottom ofthe net.

Not really, that's normal for him

Nadal probably should've taken it in 2

And Moya should have won it in 3

liptea
08-09-2005, 11:30 PM
I didn't see the match, unfortunately. It's been so long since I last saw Moya playing well (I guess it was in Indian Wells), I hope his shoulder is ok by now. I really wanted him to do well at this tournament, but getting Nadal on the 1st round just didn't help him. No matter the surface, he's not an opponent you wanna see so soon in your part of the draw.

But still, Carlos has played very few matches this year, so I think a lot of the missed oppurtunities and sloppy play is due to a lack of matchplay. Give him some time and a few more tournaments and I think Moya will be fine. I'm actually proud of his struggling serving; generally he was able to mentally pull himself out of holes, and that's not something that he's known for. Normally when Carlos goes down break points, I automatically assume that he's finished, but today he actually saved a billion and I'm really proud of that.

Dammit, why couldn't Carlos have drawn Hewitt?

GonzoFan
08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
:woohoo: RAFA !!! :woohoo:
It was the best match of the day !!!! :yeah:

uNIVERSE mAN
08-10-2005, 12:43 AM
well I watched this match live and my opinion is that they both played garbage especially Moya (who needs to learn that he can't hit topspin backhand shots on the run so stop fucking trying and slice it!!!). Nadal had a horseshit serve as usual, the only reason he won is because Moya couldn't do shit with the midcourt sitters, which is ridiculous for a top 20 player.

Scotso
08-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Well done, Rafa.

NYCtennisfan
08-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Moya's game is just gone. He did have a couple of nice FH's at the end of the 2nd set and in the 3rd set but that BH was lousy as usual and his movement wasn't that good. At no point did I ever have a feeling that Nadal would lose. It's sad to see Moya in this state.

MariaV
08-10-2005, 08:43 AM
But still, Carlos has played very few matches this year, so I think a lot of the missed oppurtunities and sloppy play is due to a lack of matchplay. Give him some time and a few more tournaments and I think Moya will be fine. I'm actually proud of his struggling serving; generally he was able to mentally pull himself out of holes, and that's not something that he's known for. Normally when Carlos goes down break points, I automatically assume that he's finished, but today he actually saved a billion and I'm really proud of that.

Dammit, why couldn't Carlos have drawn Hewitt?
Yeah, too bad it was the 1st rd match.
Niti, I was really surprised by his serve and how he fought back all the BPs, everything's not gone yet. You can really be proud of him. :D
Moya's game is just gone. He did have a couple of nice FH's at the end of the 2nd set and in the 3rd set but that BH was lousy as usual and his movement wasn't that good. At no point did I ever have a feeling that Nadal would lose. It's sad to see Moya in this state.
His game's not gone. :p Yeah he was slower than young Rafa what is understandable, and he made too much UEs at decisive moments but actually he looked much better than I expected. Besides it was his 1st match on hard and had it been some lower ranked player he could have won.

Castafiore
08-10-2005, 08:55 AM
This is what Moya said about his difficulties breaking Nadal's serve:

Q. Nadal's serve is not very strong, yet you didn't break him once in three sets.

CAROLS MOYA: Well, I don't think it was for his serve the reason I didn't break him. I mean, from baseline, he's really tough. And also being lefty, is not easy to attack his serve. Is not very powerful, is not very fast, but is lefty and a lot of spin, so is not easy. And was windy.

But from baseline, I mean, he puts every ball back. There were a few points that I thought was not going to come back the ball at all, and was coming really fast. He puts the ball where he has to put it, you know. He makes you work very hard for every point.

You know, I think it's all together what makes him really good and makes it tough to break his serve.

And this is what Nadal said about that tiebreak in the second set:
Q. Second set tiebreaker.

RAFAEL NADAL: Unbelievable (smiling). Best tiebreak of my career.

RonE
08-10-2005, 08:58 AM
To those who say it was a great match- it wasn't. For me, Nadal's quality in the first set was superb hitting his groundies deep with heavy spin and force really kept Moya on the backfoot. That, coupled with Moya's inconsistency and helplessness contributed to a more or less one sided first set.

But then, in the 2nd set when Moya started to get into more of the rallies and get onto an even keel Nadal's shots kept getting shorter and shorter allowing Moya to dictate the play more and more. That 7-0 second set tiebreak scoreline was indicative of that. Nadal was totally defensive and didn't take the initiative at all, handing the wheel to Moya who completely dictated in the breaker going for his shots. The pattern continued a bit through some parts of the third set as well, and Nadal breaking serve at 4-3 in the third set was Moya basically capitulating hitting a double fault and a few other shocking errors. In the end, Moya basically gifted the match to Nadal.

The problem with Nadal on a faster surface is, he is not able to maintain the same sort of intensity and ferocity against players who hit back and are able to put him under pressure. I saw the same thing happen both in the Australian against Hewitt and against Federer at Miami. They both hung on in those matches sticking with Nadal and then when it got really tight or the point was really crucial Nadal played too passively handing the initiative to his opponent. If he is to become a serious contender for hardcourt titles this is something he will have to work on.

MariaV
08-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm sure Nadal IS working on it. :D That certainly wasn't the best Nadal out there and I'm sure he will get better with every following match. I so hope his hand won't give him any more trouble and he can prove all those critics wrong by winning some hard court titles soon. :p