M.Puerta wins his first fast court match in five years!!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

M.Puerta wins his first fast court match in five years!!!!!

DanEd
08-09-2005, 03:56 AM
he def. Horna 7-6 7-6 not facing a only break point :worship: :banana:

+alonso
08-09-2005, 03:59 AM
:ras:

:lol:
:yeah: Very good :yeah:
Congrats Puerta

revolution
08-09-2005, 04:05 AM
Mariano :yeah:

LaTenista
08-09-2005, 04:08 AM
He never ceases to amaze me. :D

Muy bien, Mariano!

disturb3d
08-09-2005, 04:18 AM
he def. Horna 7-6 7-6 not facing a only break point :worship: :banana:Thats a horrible score. There's absolutely no way Puerta is making it to the 3rd round.

Fergie
08-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Well done Mariano! :yeah:

Lucho! :smash:

Mistaflava
08-09-2005, 04:41 AM
when you're good, you're good. Puerta is good...

BlackSilver
08-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Good match.
Good rallies, both players were hitting the ball very hard and taking risks, the tension, and Puerta hitting an amazing passing shot DTL in the end, in my opinion turn it in the first good match so far in Montreal.

Denaon
08-09-2005, 04:44 AM
WTG Mariano!

NYCtennisfan
08-09-2005, 04:51 AM
It was weird looking at the stats and seeing serving stats that you would see out of Rusedski/Karlovic match. :)

oneandonlyhsn
08-09-2005, 05:41 AM
Mariano :banana:

Alistair
08-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Doh'

Lost some cash on Horna :(

Oh well, I'll win it back by betting against Mariano next time ;)

Mistaflava
08-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Doh'

Lost some cash on Horna :(

Oh well, I'll win it back by betting against Mariano next time ;)

im with u on that...

sports freak
08-09-2005, 05:52 AM
Thats a horrible score. There's absolutely no way Puerta is making it to the 3rd round.

Peurta will win his next match!!!Horna gave Safin a good go in the Aust Open wit
Safin comin out on top 3-1 sets but those sets were all 7-6 if a can remember or somewhere abouts therefor Horna is no push over especially Lious last couple of weeks have been good!!!!waiting on the odds for Mariano next hopefully its not too short!!!!Go Peurta congrats on a solid win!!! :worship:

Clara Bow
08-09-2005, 05:58 AM
Sounds like Puerta had some of great serving that he did during the Davis Cup doubles match in Australia.

sports freak
08-09-2005, 06:02 AM
Sounds like Puerta had some of great serving that he did during the Davis Cup doubles match in Australia.

Exactly,i had to witness it on the other side of the box which is called t.v!!!but damn he looked dangerous,talented player no doubt!!!

*Ljubica*
08-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Well done Mariano - great result to wake up to - though I like Lucho too! As Clara says, sounds like he was playing and serving as well as he did in DC doubles recently. Good Luck for the rest of the tournament!

Pea
08-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Mariano!:yeah:

GonzoFan
08-09-2005, 08:42 AM
first win in five years!!!!
Congrats Mariano !!! :yeah:

Russian elephant
08-09-2005, 08:53 AM
It's nice to see these threads on one page...
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=369

no hints, guys, no hints :rolleyes: :cool:

Papakori
08-09-2005, 08:53 AM
well done!

NewTennisFan
08-09-2005, 09:13 AM
I mean to offend nobody in particular, and am speaking in general terms about people from around the world. Fact of the matter is, the general betting public were absurdly stupid to lean so overwhelmingly on Horna to win the match. At the end of the day, regardless of Puerta's recent record, most would agree that he's still essentially a better player than Horna. He had every chance of winning this match from the onset, and there was absolutely no justification for the majority's almost obsessive view of Horna being the big favorite. The bookies were forced to set a hilariously high line on Puerta. At least I'm laughing though ;).

Russian elephant
08-09-2005, 09:34 AM
I mean to offend nobody in particular, and am speaking in general terms about people from around the world. Fact of the matter is, the general betting public were absurdly stupid to lean so overwhelmingly on Horna to win the match. At the end of the day, regardless of Puerta's recent record, most would agree that he's still essentially a better player than Horna. He had every chance of winning this match from the onset, and there was absolutely no justification for the majority's almost obsessive view of Horna being the big favorite. The bookies were forced to set a hilariously high line on Puerta. At least I'm laughing though ;).

Heh, it's great to post it after the match :)
Puerta is very weak on courts other than clay + having no experience since January, e t.c., so the line was correct...
Horna had good victories on US hard few days ago...
The question "how did Mariano manage to win" is rather curious...

NewTennisFan
08-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Heh, it's great to post it after the match :)
Puerta is very weak on courts other than clay + having no experience since January, e t.c., so the line was correct...
Horna had good victories on US hard few days ago...
The question "how did Mariano manage to win" is rather curious...
I agree that Horna was the favorite, but not by the line set by the bookies. It was definitely closer than a 65%-35% affair. At 3.25, Puerta was well worth the risk.

Then again, I'm a newbie. What do I know? :D

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Thats a horrible score. There's absolutely no way Puerta is making it to the 3rd round.

Just stick to drooling over Agassi and don't bother watching tennis. Did you actually see this match?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-09-2005, 11:57 AM
This was against Oli Rochus.

jazz_girl
08-09-2005, 12:19 PM
This is great news! Well done Mariano! :yeah:

disturb3d
08-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Just stick to drooling over Agassi and don't bother watching tennis. Did you actually see this match?Depends, did he face Andre?

You're only building yourself up for a let-down.
Puerta's inevitably gonna get ***** in the 2nd round.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Depends, did he face Andre?

You're only building yourself up for a let-down.
Puerta's inevitably gonna get ***** in the 2nd round.

That's it, you didn't watch the match, so how is it horrible score without you watching it?

Stick to the Agassi worshipping you do that very well.

Actually, he won a match on a hardcourt and since you didn't the watch and it was quite a good one and as for let down, well Puerta isn't a favourite player of mine, that's it he won a match and not the tournament, so not let down from me.

disturb3d
08-09-2005, 01:15 PM
That's it, you didn't watch the match, so how is it horrible score without you watching it?I have eyes, you see.
7/6, 7/6. Puerta is still as imobile as ever. He has absoluetly no chance of breaking serve.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
I have eyes, you see.
7/6, 7/6. Puerta is still as imobile as ever. He has absoluetly no chance of breaking serve.

You didn't watch the match, if so, then you would know that he had chances to break serve.

Thanks for the jokes and if you are going to comment on a match, at least watch it next time, it would make it slightly more creditable.

Bilbo
08-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Horna was tired as hell from last week I think

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Horna was tired as hell from last week I think

He moved alright and was actually quite a high standard match, but it's a lost opportunity for Horna in this case.

disturb3d
08-09-2005, 01:31 PM
You didn't watch the match, if so, then you would know that he had chances to break serve.

Thanks for the jokes and if you are going to comment on a match, at least watch it next time, it would make it slightly more creditable.Chances are of no significance. Juan-Carlos had match points on Roger and failed to carry out the win.

The blatant fact here is; Puerta played out of his boots, and the chances of him gaining another win, are slim to none.

*Credable*

Deboogle!.
08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
FIVE years??? Wow.

Anyway, from the stats of the match, it seemed like rather impressive serving from both players and sounds like it was probably an entertaining match.

Congrats Puerta!

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Chances are of no significance. Juan-Carlos had match points on Roger and failed to carry out the win.

The blatant fact here is; Puerta played out of his boots, and the chances of him gaining another win, are slim to none.

*Credable*

No, it's not credible, you didn't see the match. If you actually watched it, then cool, but you didn't and are just speculating on nothing.

Agassi plays on Wed.

Russian elephant
08-09-2005, 02:49 PM
btw, it's a really not 5 years :)
Mariano had 3 victories on hardcourts during last 3 years...

DanEd
08-09-2005, 03:36 PM
in challengers i think.....
btw, it's a really not 5 years :)
Mariano had 3 victories on hardcourts during last 3 years...

Aguante_el_Gato
08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Thats a horrible score. There's absolutely no way Puerta is making it to the 3rd round.Ok, so you should bet on Pavel in this case.
:secret: ... imo Mariano will win this match

joyk
08-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Way to go! :wavey:

Merton
08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
The courts in Montreal must be clay in disguise.

Merton
08-09-2005, 04:44 PM
The reasoning goes as follows:

-Puerta cannot win outside of clay.
-Puerta won yesterday in Montreal.
-Therefore, Montreal must be clay.

A perfect example of elementary logic. Aristotle himself would approve.

alfonsojose
08-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Mariano :hug: :yeah: time to bring your DC form .. and your pubes :devil: I don't want u to get hurt but please, ask again for a massage on those legs :lick: :toothy:

Aguante_el_Gato
08-11-2005, 04:50 PM
:haha: ... and what's your prediction for his next match? :p

sports freak
08-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Mariano :hug: :yeah: time to bring your DC form .. and your pubes :devil: I don't want u to get hurt but please, ask again for a massage on those legs :lick: :toothy:

Peurta brang his DC form but Nalbandian left his visa behind!!! :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
08-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Puerta. Keep going :drool: and don't forget the massage close to the groin ;)

Hendu
08-11-2005, 11:21 PM

Puerta has very powerfull groundstrokes and he doesn't have weak sides. He can make winners regularly with his forehand and his backhand. Plus he has a reliable serve and is quite good at the net. He has always had the skills to play well on hardcourts.

In the last years when he was playing challengers, he would almost only play on clay (his favourite surface) which is reasonable, since he was trying to go back to the top 100.

There is only one way to explain the lack of good results on fast surfaces for a player of his caliber... that is lack of confidence. After RG he doesn't seem to have that problem anymore.

Hendu
08-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Puerta def. Malisse...

Rafa is next.

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 12:14 AM

:haha:

I've been saying something along this lines in the Rafa and Puerta threads ;) I'll hit up the Gaudio thread later :D

Aguante_el_Gato
08-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Puerta has very powerfull groundstrokes and he doesn't have weak sides. He can make winners regularly with his forehand and his backhand. Plus he has a reliable serve and is quite good at the net. He has always had the skills to play well on hardcourts.

In the last years when he was playing challengers, he would almost only play on clay (his favourite surface) which is reasonable, since he was trying to go back to the top 100.

There is only one way to explain the lack of good results on fast surfaces for a player of his caliber... that is lack of confidence. After RG he doesn't seem to have that problem anymore.:yeah:

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 07:47 AM

There is only one way to explain the lack of good results on fast surfaces for a player of his caliber... that is lack of confidence. After RG he doesn't seem to have that problem anymore.

After watching the Door live in Davis Cup on grass, he showed he could play on other surfaces and yes, it's perfect sense that he played the clay challengers to get his ranking back.

But, it's so much fun seeing the outright bias of some people and their reactions to him winning more than 1 match on a surface other than clay.

Lisbeth
08-12-2005, 08:02 AM
I'd never really watched Puerta until the RG semi and final but I really enjoyed his game in those and I'd like to see him keep doing well on hard courts :)

garylanders
08-12-2005, 12:55 PM

really ?

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 12:56 PM
really ?

Just understand he is the Minister for Andre Agassi propaganda.

Aguante_el_Gato
08-12-2005, 02:02 PM

A perfect example of elementary logic. Aristotle himself would approve.:haha: good!! ..... but this doesn't respect logic laws:
- starting on false premises ("Puerta cannot win outside of clay") , it's not possible to reach true conclusions

in this case, it seems to me that this would be more appropriate:
- the good tennis players, with a good preparation, they can play well in any surface
- Puerta (and Nadal and Gaudio) are good tennis players
conclusion: with good preparation, Puerta can play well in any surface
:p

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 02:10 PM

That is and I think Aristotle and Plato both would have approved of this very sound theory.

NewTennisFan
08-12-2005, 02:24 PM
The title of this thread looks magnificent...then you recall that Puerta has only PLAYED in two tournaments on hard court since 2003, and that includes THIS tournament!

Anyway, Puerta's been doing pretty well when breaking serve in the last three matches. He's converted more than 50% of his break points! That's more than 20% better than Nadal!

Puerta's in with a real chance today. Go Puerta!

Raquel
08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
I know he's not had a great non-clay record over the years but I don't find this run too surprising. Puerta's forehand can be a huge shot and if the ball bounces up nicely for him on hard courts, he can give it a crack and have a good chance of winning the point.

What was more surprising about Puerta for me was a couple of his clay losses before Montreal. Minar in Holland, Nieminen in Sopot? Surprised me anyway. And the less said about his loss to Dick Norman on clay in March, the better.

Neely
08-12-2005, 02:38 PM
I know he's not had a great non-clay record over the years but I don't find this run too surprising. Puerta's forehand can be a huge shot and if the ball bounces up nicely for him on hard courts, he can give it a crack and have a good chance of winning the point.
Puerta snubbed and disrespected almost everything that was not played on red dirt over years, so just going by this his wins are a surprise, at least on the paper... But you are totally right about his game, and I think the same: his forehand is a good one and his backhand isn't a crappy shot either. His serve can be very good also, not just average or mediocre, I would say quite a force on a good day. I would think, a labelled "hardcourter" like Rainer would be glad to have the shotmaking abilities of Puerta. Basically, going by Puerta's game, he doesn't have to hide from playing on fast courts at all... if, yes if he respects the surface, prepares and plays on it.

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Puerta snubbed and disrespected almost everything that was not played on red dirt over years, so just going by this his wins are a surprise, at least on the paper..

Yes, and playing on hardcourts last year was going to help him build up his ranking after coming back from the drug ban.

1sun
08-12-2005, 02:55 PM
go chew on your words mate.

Neely
08-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Yes, and playing on hardcourts last year was going to help him build up his ranking after coming back from the drug ban.
If he tried to come back from his drug ban since the beginning of his career this would be a valid explanation. Concentrating on clay and hardcourt only to get a ranking can be done because of the incredibly huge amount of tournaments which use these two surfaces.

But it wasn't much different before his drug ban either: a hand full of indoor hard and carpet matches combined in his whole career, the same for grass and almost no hardcourt results or appearances.

Merton
08-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Puerta snubbed and disrespected almost everything that was not played on red dirt over years, so just going by this his wins are a surprise, at least on the paper... But you are totally right about his game, and I think the same: his forehand is a good one and his backhand isn't a crappy shot either. His serve can be very good also, not just average or mediocre, I would say quite a force on a good day. I would think, a labelled "hardcourter" like Rainer would be glad to have the shotmaking abilities of Puerta. Basically, going by Puerta's game, he doesn't have to hide from playing on fast courts at all... if, yes if he respects the surface, prepares and plays on it.

I don't think it is about respect. My guess is that in the past Mariano focused his concentration and energy on clay. Perhaps he did not want to expend as much energy on hard courts, especially if that required a change of prepararion.

I think that he was branded as crap on hard courts based on zero real evidence.

Merton
08-12-2005, 09:32 PM
That is and I think Aristotle and Plato both would have approved of this very sound theory.

There is now irrefutable evidence that we are watching play on blue clay.

DanEd
08-12-2005, 09:44 PM
:tape:
There is now irrefutable evidence that we are watching play on blue clay.

YoursTruly
08-12-2005, 10:43 PM
This is nice to see Puerta have results outside of clay. This is where he belongs, right up there with the best. It's taken a while!

Daniel
08-15-2005, 02:57 AM
Bien Mariano :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 08:39 AM
If he tried to come back from his drug ban since the beginning of his career this would be a valid explanation. Concentrating on clay and hardcourt only to get a ranking can be done because of the incredibly huge amount of tournaments which use these two surfaces.

But it wasn't much different before his drug ban either: a hand full of indoor hard and carpet matches combined in his whole career, the same for grass and almost no hardcourt results or appearances.

Puerta did the right thing that suited him at the time, he hasn't lost anything either way, by doing it like this and there are 2 distinct parts to his career and I am refering to the comeback to which he is in the best form of his life overall, he did what he needed to, the way you are making it out as if he has never played a match on any other surface but clay.

its.like.that
08-15-2005, 05:11 PM

would you like a napkin to wipe that egg off your face?