Kafelnikov continues his career [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Kafelnikov continues his career

Devotee
08-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Kafelnikov On Course For Tournament Appearance
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/Kafelnikov_profile1.jpg
Yevgeny Kafelnikov By Tennis Week
08/08/2005

Three years removed from his last ATP grass-court championship in Halle, Yevgeny Kafelnikov is hitting the greens again. The former world No. 1 will get back into the swing of things carrying clubs rather than a racquet — Kafelnikov has accepted a wild card into this week's $500,000 Russian Open golf tournament.

"We felt that Yevgeny's presence will greatly enhance the image of our tournament," Russian Golf Association president Konstantin Kozhevnikov said.

The two-time Grand Slam champion is the latest in a long line of tennis players who have competed in either professional or pro-am golf tournaments. Former No. 1 Ivan Lendl, whose daughters are standout junior golfers, competed in the Czech Open in 1996. Pete Sampras, Tim Henman, Patrick Rafter, Mardy Fish and James Blake are among the many players who spend some of their spare time on the golf course.

A year ago, Kafelnikov came up with aces to win the Russian Open poker tournament in Moscow. Kafelnikov defeated a field of 52 to win a little more than $10,000 for his poker triumph.

In the aftermath of that victory, the 1999 Australian Open champion admitted he would rather play poker nowadays — in part because couldn't bear to face his fellow Russians as a loser.

"I have retired, but I have not officially announced it," said the 1996 French Open champion and 1996 Olympic gold medallist. "Some people still think I am just taking a break, but I believe that my time in tennis has gone by. Even if I came back, I would have no chance to play at the same level I was."

Kafelnikov stated it was the dread of losing face to his compatriots that has really made his mind up to put his racquet down for good.

"The most important things was not to disappoint my fans," said the Sochi-born, Muscovite, who is a divorced father of a seven-year-old daughter named Alesja. "It is very hard to earn a good image in Russia. Once you do you're a hero. But if you then do something wrong, you're treated like, like, I can't even think of a word for it. So when people on the street in Moscow ask why I stopped playing, I say 'because I don't want to see you people crying when I lose'. They understand that."

Kafelnikov, who operates several businesses in Russia with his primary venture a real estate company, said that he had channeled his competitive energies to poker because it's both mentally and physically challenging.

"I find it very exciting," said Kafelnikov, who receives coaching from the 2002 poker Rookie of the Year, Kirill Gerasimov. "Because you win not with the cards but with your skills. With body language you can win a game, but also you can lose a game."

*Ljubica*
08-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info Devotee - I still miss Yevgeny on the Tour!

Devotee
08-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info Devotee - I still miss Yevgeny on the Tour!

I miss him too!

alfonsojose
08-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Yevgeny . I miss him too :sad: Good luck at the golf tournament :yeah:

RebelNYC
08-08-2005, 05:23 PM
That's awesome news! I certainly miss him on the tennis courts!

NyGeL
08-08-2005, 05:41 PM
he is a Pocker and Golf Professional player now??? cool!!! yevgney rox!

fabolous
08-08-2005, 06:00 PM
i saw him once in a poker tournament, he was quite good, surprised me! but now golf..... :confused: well, let's see! he has many talents and he seems to enjoy his life after tennis. good luck!

Dirk
08-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the Kafel update. He was so so good. Kafel, Rafter and Rios were my faves of the 90s.

Aphex
08-08-2005, 07:47 PM
:lol: Kafelnikov=entertainment

its.like.that
08-09-2005, 12:09 AM
edit: he won the Olympics in 2000, but not 1996.

Puschkin
08-09-2005, 05:51 AM
I was a huge fan of Evgenij, even if he made it difficult ;). His capacity to adapt to various surfaces within days was incredible. I was very sad with the way his career ended, he just faded away. And I am slightly worried that Carlos Moyá might do the same.

Thanks a lot for the update.

MariaV
08-09-2005, 07:01 AM
Wow, even the Americans write about it, wow. I heard about it in the Russian news. :) And Kafel was commenting Gasquet-Youzhny match last night on Russian TV. :)

Puschkin
08-09-2005, 08:15 AM
And Kafel was commenting Gasquet-Youzhny match last night on Russian TV. :)

Is he a good commentator?

MariaV
08-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I like him commenting. :D He has a good insight of the game of course, and he was talking really smoothly for a newcomer in THIS business. But I doubt he'll be doing it very often. The 1st time he did commenting was at the last DC tie Russia vs France in Moscow. And generally as much as I know people liked it. :D And I guess the experience wasn't too bad for him either as he agreed to it once again.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the update on Kafelnikov's commentary style and good luck to him in whatever he does.

Dirk
08-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Kafel actually commentated for awhile during the USO 2001 Guga Max match. :lol: He and Johnny Mac got into an argument almost right away. :lol:

Puschkin
08-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Kafel actually commentated for awhile during the USO 2001 Guga Max match. :lol: He and Johnny Mac got into an argument almost right away. :lol:

I wonder of this speaks for Evgenij or against him?;)

uNIVERSE mAN
08-09-2005, 04:10 PM
personally, I never liked him. I found his game to be asthetically unpleasing with a very wooden/stiff technique esp. his serve/forehand.

Dirk
08-09-2005, 05:40 PM
I wonder of this speaks for Evgenij or against him?;)

For him. :)

Dirk
08-09-2005, 05:43 PM
personally, I never liked him. I found his game to be asthetically unpleasing with a very wooden/stiff technique esp. his serve/forehand.

He was a great all court player when he wanted to be. His Fh was not like his great backhand but it was still a great shot because he could hit all the angles and take it early. His serve was bad in motion but it did help him but he could have gotten a better motion.

Bubble
08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the update on yevgeny!
:)

Devotee
08-09-2005, 08:58 PM
:) And Kafel was commenting Gasquet-Youzhny match last night on Russian TV. :)

Wow, so Yevgeny is now also a commentator! He is a very multi-faceted person!!!

drf716
08-10-2005, 01:29 AM
miss him so much

JMG
08-11-2005, 06:36 PM
http://scores.europeantour.com/scorecard.sps?iTourNo=2005054&iPlayerNo=34243&iTourID=1

Kafelnikov was quite good!

drf716
08-12-2005, 03:48 AM
wow!!!
he placed 154 of how many players?

Pea
08-12-2005, 05:25 AM
155.:p

Go Yevgeny Go!!!

JMG
08-12-2005, 06:59 AM
But it wasn't bad at all, he played at least some pars. Maybe on the challenge tour he could make the cut in 1 of 20 tournaments or so.

JMG
08-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Kafelnikov played 24 over par the 2nd round and is now the worst player in that tournament with +40.

Yesterday he played at least 7 pars, today only 4.

avocadoe
08-12-2005, 04:24 PM
go Yevvy...start low, finish high :)

Lady
08-12-2005, 04:29 PM
"The most important things was not to disappoint my fans," said the Sochi-born, Muscovite, who is a divorced father of a seven-year-old daughter named Alesja. "It is very hard to earn a good image in Russia. Once you do you're a hero. But if you then do something wrong, you're treated like, like, I can't even think of a word for it. So when people on the street in Moscow ask why I stopped playing, I say 'because I don't want to see you people crying when I lose'. They understand that."

It's very correct discription of Russians, unfortunately!