Roddick def. Blake 7-5 6-3 wins Legg Mason title! 4th title of the year [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick def. Blake 7-5 6-3 wins Legg Mason title! 4th title of the year

tangerine_dream
08-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Andy defeated his good friend James in the Legg Mason final 7-5 6-3. :yippee: Well done on winning your fourth title of the year Andy. It's great to see you playing with confidence again. (144mph serves that's the way we like it) Wins the championship final with an ace, typical Roddick flare. :hatoff:

Great fight and welcome back to the top 100 James! :banana:

Nimomunz
08-07-2005, 09:29 PM
hey your quick!!

Golfnduck
08-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Good match. James played great, that overhead at the end was :eek: Andy's fastest serve was 146 mph. Great play by each. Congratulations Andy and James :bigclap:

Pureracket
08-07-2005, 09:30 PM
That moaning sign coming from the booth was Patty McEnroe sperming himself. :(

VingaRafel
08-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I'd rather see someone firing less aces and making the match longer and more thrilling.
It was great to see Blake playing so well and taking it to Roddick.

1sun
08-07-2005, 09:37 PM
144mph serves that's the way we like it
not all of us ;) didnt beat a player inside the top 40, but a good win for him.

Clara Bow
08-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Outside of a couple of games (very important games!), Blake played some of the best tennis I have seen him play in a long while. I hope that his run in this tourney bodes well for him this summer.

Congrats Andy.

Pureracket
08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Roddick def. Blake 7-5 ... 08-07-2005 04:39 PM tangerine_dream

Easy bad rep. . .LOL!

tangerine_dream
08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Good match. James played great, that overhead at the end was :eek: Andy's fastest serve was 146 mph. Great play by each. Congratulations Andy and James :bigclap:
Was it 146? I missed that one. Anyway I'm glad he's feeling good about himself again and letting the bombs fly. :D

I hope James continues in this way. Although Andy owns James this match was pretty close and if James hadn't been sloppy with a few points, we'd probably be into a third set right now.

nobama
08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Well when most of the top 10-20 aren't playing Roddick should win easily. Especially when he's not playing Fed and Hewitt where his serve isn't as dominant. Although today I thought Blake read his serve quite well, he just gifted a couple games to Roddick with some ugly forehands. It'll be interesting to see how Roddick fares next week when the cream of the crop (well, minus Fed and Safin) are back in action.

Pureracket
08-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Was it 146? I missed that one. Anyway I'm glad he's feeling good about himself again and letting the bombs fly. :D

I hope James continues in this way. Although Andy owns James this match was pretty close and if James hadn't been sloppy with a few points, we'd probably be into a third set right now.Excellent analysis, Mr. McEnroe. :wavey:

Where are you and ol' "Andikins" gonna celebrate this latest victory?
:wavey:

nobama
08-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Outside of a couple of games (very important games!), Blake played some of the best tennis I have seen him play in a long while. I hope that his run in this tourney bodes well for him this summer.

Congrats Andy.
I thought James played well too. Moved well, had some nice volleys. Of course Andy was able to use his serve to get him out of trouble and James doesn't have that luxury.

name_change
congrats andy!

james!:heart: first final in AGES!very very good sign!lets make a few more runs before the season ends. especially at the USO!and no more injuries please!:kiss:

Deboogle!.
I'd rather see someone firing less aces and making the match longer and more thrilling.
It was great to see Blake playing so well and taking it to Roddick.did you watch the match? There were some incredible points and rallies and James not only got back the 146mph serve, but won the point on a nice rally. So, I don't know what tennis you were watching

Anyway, yay Andy, please play better next time and stop missing easy balls and YAY James, on the way back where he belongs :D:D:D

ServeAlready81
08-07-2005, 09:47 PM
James played well, I hope he continues to play at this level and better.

Pureracket
08-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I just hope that Andy can get his serve to stay that way against the other top players at the USOpen. Also, he is going to have to get his backswing back a little quicker on his backhand. Not doing that got him in trouble a coulpla times.

roisin
08-07-2005, 09:53 PM
:banana: more shiny toys for Andy! :D :D

Great to see James back :yeah:

Black Adam
08-07-2005, 09:55 PM
NIce win Andy.

VingaRafel
08-07-2005, 09:55 PM
did you watch the match? There were some incredible points and rallies and James not only got back the 146mph serve, but won the point on a nice rally. So, I don't know what tennis you were watching :D:D:D

Yes, I watched the same match you did. And I admited that Blake played very well and there were some exciting points. But everytime Blake had a break point Andy smoked and ace.. and that's it, he did that over and over again. Very exciting. :yawn:

NYCtennisfan
08-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Good confidence boost for Roddick and great signs from Blake.

star
08-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes, I watched the same match you did. And I admited that Blake played very well and there were some exciting points. But everytime Blake had a break point Andy smoked and ace.. and that's it, he did that over and over again. Very exciting. :yawn:

I think if Andy lost some break points you and lost the match, you would have found it more exciting. It's only boring when Andy wins. That's ok. I have that same feeling about some players. :wavey:

Nimomunz
08-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Well when most of the top 10-20 aren't playing Roddick should win easily. Especially when he's not playing Fed and Hewitt where his serve isn't as dominant. Although today I thought Blake read his serve quite well, he just gifted a couple games to Roddick with some ugly forehands. It'll be interesting to see how Roddick fares next week when the cream of the crop (well, minus Fed and Safin) are back in action.
:rolleyes:
i know your a federer fan and i am not a roddick fan to say the least but you cant just say congrats, that was a good match and some of the rallies were pretty amazing and deserved the standing ovation they got! You have to bring him down by stating that he's crap against anyone who isnt top 10-20. apart from robby ginepri in indy and on clay andy hardly loses to anyone below him!!

star
08-07-2005, 10:16 PM
But on the positive side --- YEA ANDY!!!!

I'm so happy for him!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006HZZE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

VingaRafel
08-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I think if Andy lost some break points you and lost the match, you would have found it more exciting. It's only boring when Andy wins. That's ok. I have that same feeling about some players. :wavey:

Well, it's not boring when he wins all the time. I like the long and well fought matches, or at least close matches with TB. Some of his matches at GS are exciting, expecially when they go to 5 sets. That's fine. As long as they are entertaining and fun I'm fine with it. But anyway, this is just my personal opinion, I certainly don't expect people to think this way. I am not trying to change anybodys point of view either. Like Americans say... different strokes for different.... :scratch: something.. :lol:

star
08-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't think Americans say that so much anymore. ;) ;)

I didn't see this match, but it had a 7-5 set -- That sounds pretty close.

I always think it's exciting when one of my favorites wins -- especially by a really one-sided score. :lol: :lol:

VingaRafel
08-07-2005, 10:31 PM
I always think it's exciting when one of my favorites wins -- especially by a really one-sided score. :lol: :lol:

But of course! :)

Merton
08-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Congratulations to Andy for playing solid tennis all week and winning his fourth title of the year. Congratulations to James for his excellent tennis and his effort.

I saw James live for the first time this year and i think that his backhand has improved a lot. He now needs to become tougher in important points and be more strategic in his shot choice. Good job! :D

AnnabelLee
08-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Definitely a good win for Andy though its only a minor tournament. It will surely give him a confidence boost for the upcoming Masters Events.

Would be cool if he could win one of those, especially Montreal now with Marat and Roger out and then go deep at the Open. He's still a top player if he keeps his head right.

Good Luck, Andy

LaTenista
08-07-2005, 10:48 PM
I agree that James' backhand seemed better today than in years past. It was great to see him returning Roddick's bombs so well. Can't wait to see him play in Cincy - just don't draw Andy 3rd round again like last time!

Solid win for Roddick, hopefully got his confidence up for next week even though his finalist points from Toronto last year have already come off, he'll still need to perform well against the top players to stay in the Top 5.

blosson
08-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Well done Andy.

Why people keep saying Andy is lucky at Montreal because Marat is out? I can undestand that Roger beeing out, it gives Andy a certain advantage but Andy also has a winning record against Marat and he has won the last 2/3 encounters.

oneandonlyhsn
08-07-2005, 10:57 PM
James choked at key moments :mad: I wish it was a 3 set match instead, but I am glad that James is playing well. He just needs to improve his mental toughness now.
Congrats to A-Rod for winning the title, I expected him to :D

Fee
08-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Gee Andy, who the hell do you think you are, winning 4 titles on 4 different surfaces in one season? Why don't you just stick to one surface like a real 'winner', jerk.

nobama
08-07-2005, 11:02 PM
:rolleyes:
i know your a federer fan and i am not a roddick fan to say the least but you cant just say congrats, that was a good match and some of the rallies were pretty amazing and deserved the standing ovation they got! You have to bring him down by stating that he's crap against anyone who isnt top 10-20. apart from robby ginepri in indy and on clay andy hardly loses to anyone below him!!
I'm not saying it wasn't a good win. He played well all week. And I'm sure it will be good for his confidence. But these are the types of matches he should be winning. Because he's better than the other guys in the draw.

nobama
08-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Well done Andy.

Why people keep saying Andy is lucky at Montreal because Marat is out? I can undestand that Roger beeing out, it gives Andy a certain advantage but Andy also has a winning record against Marat and he has won the last 2/3 encounters.
After today's match PMac said Andy was the favorite next week. I don't quite understand that. Of course he has a better shot than most, but he's never beaten Hewitt or Agassi on HC and who knows what Nadal might do. At least wining today he'll have some confidence going into the tournament.

Dirk
08-07-2005, 11:10 PM
James messed up on his serve but played with flare and it was a fun match. Andy needed that win and his performance in the next two weeks will be key to his confidence going into the USO. The crystal trophy is simple but elegant looking. It will make quite a vase.

Dirk
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Gee Andy, who the hell do you think you are, winning 4 titles on 4 different surfaces in one season? Why don't you just stick to one surface like a real 'winner', jerk.

San Jose is indoors?

nobama
08-07-2005, 11:13 PM
How many players besides Roddick and Federer have won on 4 different surfaces this year? Is there anybody else?

Dirk
08-07-2005, 11:13 PM
After today's match PMac said Andy was the favorite next week. I don't quite understand that. Of course he has a better shot than most, but he's never beaten Hewitt or Agassi on HC and who knows what Nadal might do. At least wining today he'll have some confidence going into the tournament.

Nadal will likely do little. He is not one of the faves. Andy, Andre, Hewitt, and Nalbandian are the favorites. I actually think Moya will have a nice run there too.

nobama
08-07-2005, 11:14 PM
San Jose is indoors?
Yes.

Dirk
08-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Yep it is on indoors. Congrats Andy for doing that. It's the first time he has done that and the third time Roger has done it.

delsa
08-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Well done Andy! :yeah:
Good to see you back James! :hug:

Nimomunz
08-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm not saying it wasn't a good win. He played well all week. And I'm sure it will be good for his confidence. But these are the types of matches he should be winning. Because he's better than the other guys in the draw.
This makes no sense we dont rejoice on rods wins becoz hey he's expected to win and so no biggie well then we shouldnt rejoice for any of rogers wins because he is no. 1 and thus expected to beat everyone else, also hewitt if he beats anyone lower than him no big deal no matter how interesting the match or how inspirational the win.
i'm not attacking you but you didnt say anything good bout rod until i called you out!

tangerine_dream
08-07-2005, 11:58 PM
People who say that this title was in the bag for Andy or that it was too easy or that he's expected to win these things against so-called lesser players really have no idea of the crisis that's been going on in Camp Roddick for the past several months.

Fee :haha: As usual :worship:

Blaze
08-08-2005, 12:11 AM
This makes no sense we dont rejoice on rods wins becoz hey he's expected to win and so no biggie well then we shouldnt rejoice for any of rogers wins because he is no. 1 and thus expected to beat everyone else, also hewitt if he beats anyone lower than him no big deal no matter how interesting the match or how inspirational the win.
i'm not attacking you but you didnt say anything good bout rod until i called you out!

Then you abviously haven't been around long when Fed fans were chastised when celebrating a easy win for him and they were said to be gloat. I for one agreethat no win is simple and every win should be congratulated.

Any congrats to Andy it was a fun match and wish it would have gone to 3 sets with the same outcome ofcourse, just for entertainment.

oneandonlyhsn
08-08-2005, 12:54 AM
People who say that this title was in the bag for Andy or that it was too easy or that he's expected to win these things against so-called lesser players really have no idea of the crisis that's been going on in Camp Roddick for the past several months.

Fee :haha: As usual :worship:

:eek: What crisis do tell, or are you talking about the lack of confidence lately

For Andy fans
http://tinypic.com/a46ck5.jpg

Doe he look bigger than he was in Wimby or is it just me :confused:

nobama
08-08-2005, 01:10 AM
Doesn't mean I don't think it's a good win. I do and it is. And it's v. good for his confidence. On Roddick's fan forum I said I hope he and Lleyton make it to the finals next week and he kicks Lleyton's ass. But I'd say the same thing if it was Roger or Lleyton in one of these tournaments. They're better than these guys so they should beat them. Doesn't mean they always will, but they should. I'm not suggesting though that Roddick at #4 or Fed at #1 should beat everyone that has a lower ranking than they do. That's ridiculous. There's a difference btw beating someone who's not even top 50 and someone who's top 10 or 20. But still good win for Andy and I hope he wins next week in Montreal.

star
08-08-2005, 02:20 AM
Then you abviously haven't been around long when Fed fans were chastised when celebrating a easy win for him and they were said to be gloat. I for one agreethat no win is simple and every win should be congratulated.

Any congrats to Andy it was a fun match and wish it would have gone to 3 sets with the same outcome ofcourse, just for entertainment.

Well, sure , easy wins for Federer shouldn't be celebrated because he is a tennis GOD and is supposed to win everything, but when a no talent schlump like Andy wins a tournament, it's got to be celebrated. :aparty:

Fee
08-08-2005, 02:26 AM
I agree Star. Goddess knows, I busted open a 40 within seconds after that last ace.

J. Corwin
08-08-2005, 03:08 AM
Yep it is on indoors. Congrats Andy for doing that. It's the first time he has done that and the third time Roger has done it.

Congrats for him on his 3rd time...but what has Roger got to do with this thread? :confused: Did you mention it to make yourself feel ok with this Andy win?

Oh.

Understandable.

lucashg
08-08-2005, 03:34 AM
Congrats to Andy. Kinda felt that he should win this tournament as well, it should give him enough confidence going into Montreal after a not so good Indianapolis event. Congrats to Blake as well for his good run.

I think Roddick is the favorite to be in the finals of Montreal, but we don't know yet how Nadal's fast HC form will be this summer, but still Roddick is the main name in his part of the draw.

Experimentee
08-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Great week James! Good result to get to the final and take it to Andy. Its funny only last week people were predicting the end for James because he said the f word :lol:

Deboogle!.
08-08-2005, 05:01 AM
Great week James! Good result to get to the final and take it to Andy. Its funny only last week people were predicting the end for James because he said the f word :lol:Oh, and don't forget it is his girlfriend's fault that James was never able to win big matches, right? But, he thanked her during his speech today apparently.

I feel the apocalypse coming upon us;)

ServeAlready81
08-08-2005, 05:02 AM
I would love to see Andy win Montreal but with Hewitt and Agassi in the draw, as well as Nadal (who people seem to forget took Hewitt to 5 sets at the AO and was in the finals of Miami) he's definitely got his work cut out for him.

oneandonlyhsn
08-08-2005, 05:07 AM
I would love to see Andy win Montreal but with Hewitt and Agassi in the draw, as well as Nadal (who people seem to forget took Hewitt to 5 sets at the AO and was in the finals of Miami) he's definitely got his work cut out for him.

Nadal can trouble Hewitt, but I doubt he can trouble Andy especially if he serves well.Then again what do I know