Monfils def. Mayer 7-6 4-6 7-5 to win his first ATP title [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Monfils def. Mayer 7-6 4-6 7-5 to win his first ATP title

C3PO
08-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Congratulations Gael :D

Damita
08-07-2005, 02:14 PM
:bounce: first ATP title :woohoo: congrats boy :banana: http://img1.eurosport.com/imgbk/tennis/all/big_md-i196155.jpg

Choupi
08-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes! Congratulations to the one who won his 1st title today and who makes me look microscopic next to him on the photo! :p Bien joué Gaël! :worship:

Clara Bow
08-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Congrats Gael on your first title! :hatoff:

This has been the debutante year for teenagers on the ATP circut.

DanEd
08-07-2005, 02:19 PM
:eek: congrats gael the black champion boy :worship: :banana:

*Ljubica*
08-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Congrats to Gael. I didnt really mind who won this match - they're both good, up-and-coming young players and were playing in their first final - hopefully Florian will win his first title soon too. Meanwhile - well done Gael :)

jlamire
08-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Congrats to Gael. I didnt really mind who won this match - they're both good, up-and-coming young players and were playing in their first final - hopefully Florian will win his first title soon too. Meanwhile - well done Gael :)

And many are saying that Gael is overhyped lol

Kristen
08-07-2005, 02:24 PM
:ras: / :hug: to Flororian ...and :ras: / :yeah: to Gael.

Saumon
08-07-2005, 02:25 PM
ok! well done gael! :yeah:
well next year he has to win 8 clay titles including roland garros and becomes at least number 2 in the world... otherwise he sux :tape: :devil:

Experimentee
08-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Congrats Gael! :D
I knew he was talented and not overhyped! What an achievement to win an ATP title in his first year on tour. He beat some very good clay players too.

delsa
08-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Well done Gaël! :bounce: :worship: It was pure fighting spirit, determination and stubbornness out there from him (plus great physical shape...)! He replaces the technique he "doesn't have" yet (rare for a French player...) by all these great qualities... This guy HAS a "big matches temperament"!
He just wanted this title more and was ready to fight harder than Flo for it! ;)
Flo was certainly a bit tired from his previous match too... :sad:
I hope he'll win his first title soon as well...

sampaio
08-07-2005, 02:38 PM
http://www.thisisthelife.com/photos/experiences/large/opening-champagne.jpg

Bravo!

Vamos Feńa
08-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Yay Gael danced for a while after winning mp :D
Congratz Gael!:D People in Sopot love him very much saw it on TV :yeah:

marcelwks
08-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Nice job Gael :) I'm happy that he won in Poland :banana:

Action Jackson
08-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Congrats Gael on winning his first title and there should be a few more along the way in the future.

Papakori
08-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Congratulations Gael

Castafiore
08-07-2005, 03:05 PM
:yeah:
Well done, Gael! Second teenager in a row in Sopot!

hablovah19
08-07-2005, 03:08 PM
bravo Monfils :banana:

rue
08-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Well deserved and he has got a bright future ahead of him.

Pureracket
08-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Nice!!!!!

star
08-07-2005, 04:13 PM
This is wonderful for Gael. I'm happy to see it particularly when he was one mentioned in the "overhyped" thread.

Golfnduck
08-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Congratulations Monfils!!! :bigclap:

LilyRoseAva
08-07-2005, 04:31 PM
yesssssssssssss :) bravo gaellll

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/8350/epaphotos3966996dt.jpg

Mistaflava
08-07-2005, 04:37 PM
:yeah:
Well done, Gael! Second teenager in a row in Sopot!

That's because all the top players are already on their way to Montreal

:devil:

Black Adam
08-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Way to go.hope its the beginning of many more

Mistaflava
08-07-2005, 04:38 PM
je doit admettre qu'il va être un SUPERSTAR!

nice job Gael!

delsa
08-07-2005, 04:42 PM
That's because all the top players are already on their way to Montreal

True. But that's "nice" of them to leave some titles to the others... :devil:

nermo
08-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Bravo Gael Monfils :bigclap: :lol: , more successes...

Mistaflava
08-07-2005, 04:58 PM
True. But that's "nice" of them to leave some titles to the others... :devil:

exactly...that's why Sopot will always be a tournament of upsets and underdogs

delsa
08-07-2005, 05:22 PM
exactly...that's why Sopot will always be a tournament of upsets and underdogs

That's why one can make a lot of money betting... :devil:

VingaRafel
08-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Molt be! Fantastic! Felicitats! Vinga Gael!

oneandonlyhsn
08-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Mayer :mad:

MissMoJo
08-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Yay Gael! :bigclap:

Nathaliia
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
way to Montreal is one and the audience is the second. we always support someone not known and make a star of that person.
2001 - robredo /19 y.o./
2002 - acasuso /19 y.o./
2003 - coria (who was too much known then as well) /21 y.o./
2004 - nadal /19 y.o./
2005 - gael :D:D:D:D /18 y.o./

i asked him a while ago if he's going to come here next year and he said he liked the tourney and atmosphere a lot but he doesn't know if he comes (perhaps not, well, i appreciate it, next year juan martin del potro is going to win) but his coaches told me 2 nights ago at the disco they're definitely coming

hmm let's see

allez gael !!!!!!!!!!!! and my friends and i are so happy we could help him yesterday against starace.... gael was out of energy and ideas, court was wet and slow, in the end of 2nd set we started to make "so called village" in our first row and gael had 40/30, (starace's serve) they played god knows how many interesting strokes and gael hit the ball, it danced at the net and he won the point!!! after the match he waved to me :) real sweet child, i wish him all the best in his future!!!!!!!!!!! i like him much more than nadal... he's talkative and uhmm just like i called him... cheri

and i've been coming to sopot for the 3rd time and couldn't remind myself any other person who had such a strong support like gael (maybe it was even due to my behaviour supporting monaco in the 2nd round - very close match and me in the argentinian team) plus i've never shouted so much like at the match against starace (even at any monaco's match this year or last year...)

today's final wasn't that interesting..... however i was sitting next to his team again and they were so funny.... one guy was smoking cigarette after cigarette (!!!!) cheering like crazy, while manu messina couldn't stop laughing at them and showed them to calm down :):):):):)

oneandonlyhsn
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Yay Gael! :bigclap:

:wavey: I love your avatar of Rogi :hearts:

Mrs. B
08-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Well done, Monfils!!!! :yeah: Congrats!

Brianna
08-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Congratulations Gael on winning your first ATP title. Well done! :)

KoOlMaNsEaN
08-07-2005, 07:13 PM
:) Nice Job Gael :)

Space Cowgirl
08-07-2005, 07:25 PM
great win. Glad Mayer is making a comeback of sorts too after the fairly bad year he's been having

maryam619
08-07-2005, 07:36 PM
congratulations gael monfils!!

gooner88
08-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Allez Gael, congrats on winning your first title. :yeah:
He's progressing very well.

ServeAlready81
08-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Congrats Gael. :bounce:

LaTenista
08-07-2005, 09:15 PM
France must be very proud of their young hopefuls winning titles this summer.

:yeah: Gael

But it's interesting to note that last year when Rafa won it, Sopot was the week before the Olympics. It will be very interesting to see how Monfils does next year.

AnnabelLee
08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Congrats Gael!

He's going his way. He proved the doubters wrong and won his first title, and that in his first full year on the tour. Thats just great.

FrogBurger
08-08-2005, 07:42 AM
congratulations. I think now it may be time for me to dig up one of my "isnt french tennis the best" threads.

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 08:07 AM
way to Montreal is one and the audience is the second. we always support someone not known and make a star of that person.
2001 - robredo /19 y.o./
2002 - acasuso /19 y.o./
2003 - coria (who was too much known then as well) /21 y.o./
2004 - nadal /19 y.o./
2005 - gael :D:D:D:D /18 y.o./

i asked him a while ago if he's going to come here next year and he said he liked the tourney and atmosphere a lot but he doesn't know if he comes (perhaps not, well, i appreciate it, next year juan martin del potro is going to win) but his coaches told me 2 nights ago at the disco they're definitely coming

hmm let's see

allez gael !!!!!!!!!!!! and my friends and i are so happy we could help him yesterday against starace.... gael was out of energy and ideas, court was wet and slow, in the end of 2nd set we started to make "so called village" in our first row and gael had 40/30, (starace's serve) they played god knows how many interesting strokes and gael hit the ball, it danced at the net and he won the point!!! after the match he waved to me :) real sweet child, i wish him all the best in his future!!!!!!!!!!! i like him much more than nadal... he's talkative and uhmm just like i called him... cheri

and i've been coming to sopot for the 3rd time and couldn't remind myself any other person who had such a strong support like gael (maybe it was even due to my behaviour supporting monaco in the 2nd round - very close match and me in the argentinian team) plus i've never shouted so much like at the match against starace (even at any monaco's match this year or last year...)

today's final wasn't that interesting..... however i was sitting next to his team again and they were so funny.... one guy was smoking cigarette after cigarette (!!!!) cheering like crazy, while manu messina couldn't stop laughing at them and showed them to calm down :):):):):)
Not to nit pick, but Nadal was 18.

Anyways, I'm bumping this because missed it since I was in Montreal.

I'm thrilled for him. Keep the hatas down, Gael ;)

Raquel
08-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Flo :( Almost.

I saw some of the highlights on that ATP Tennis show last night and Florian was hitting some amazing shots (as usual). Sometimes I think he's a little bit too quirky for his own good. Sometimes he'd be better just hitting the easier shot than going for something unusual or spectacular. He must be the most unpredictable player on the tour when it comes to shot making. Even when the ball is in front of him and the racket is back to hit a regular forehand, he can change it in a split second and hit some wacky shot out of the blue. I love watching him though.

Hopefully his good run in Sopot will give him confidence for the US Open, where last year he had Andre on the ropes at times before having to retire injured.

tennischick
08-14-2005, 04:09 PM
baby boy did it :banana:

congrats Gael :kiss:

Saumon
08-14-2005, 08:24 PM
you can find a video about him and his sopot win here:

http://stade2.france2.fr/stade2.htm

Vivaciousvibes
08-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Can't wait to see the extremely handsome Nadal beat Monfils ugly fugly ass!

Jogy
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
I was whole tournament watching and I can tell you Monfils is 90% of time such a spoiled brat asshole, it is unbelievable! Treating people like shits and thinks he is the coolest diva on the ground. And he is from the type of kid who got everything sticked up in their ass since junior years and who does not know what hard working really is and how lucky he is to have chance to play in pro tennis.

And if you're say that Monfils is an idiot people say to you that you are a black hater :retard: what a rubbish :retard: not my error that Monfils and Serena Williams are totally idiots in tennis, same like white players

Monfils :(

C3PO
08-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh please :rolleyes:

delsa
08-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Well i don't think he has the character you say he has and i was able to see him too. But even if he has, it's certainly not because he was "spoiled". He can't have been with his social background... He comes from a Parisian "banlieues", not the worst one but still, it's not a place where you grow up being "spoiled" at all and if you are you end up "racketed", despised, etc...
Tennis is a way out for him so i think he knows and realizes how lucky he is to be a pro tennis player every single day and enjoy all this new life of a pro tennis player has to offer him...Maybe too much...
Maybe you misinterpret his behaviour or are one of those person who judge very fast too..., or maybe he got a 'bighead'...Don't know. He's not the kind to watch out not to look or sound like an asshole in front of ppl and medias, he's far too spontaneous for that. So maybe he looked like one...
I'm not even saying what you affirm is not true. i don't know and i'm afraid i'll never know. But i was just pointing out that if it is it's certainly not because he was "fed up with a silver spoon since his junior years" as you interpreted it. That's all.

Jogy
08-19-2005, 04:09 PM
delsa, perhaps I was too fast on him and got wrong impression from him. I will try to get a B sample some time to see what impresion he is making on me then, other time

perhaps he is not so bad like I did saw him this week

Effka
08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
I've been around the whole tournament as well, and when i saw your post i was like :eek: . I'm not his greatest supporter but he seemed quite ok throughout the tourney. He was joyful and shy when he almost hit me with the rugby ball during his fitness training, then politely said he was sorry. Me and some girls supported him all week long and after every match he would glimpse at us with a smile and we knew that he appreciated it. I've seen him taking pictures with people. Remember that he, along with Monaco agreed to participate in Clinic training with kids. He didn’t look like “i’m too good for y’all” either.
No idea why you think he's just spoiled and has everything stuck up his ass. Enlighten me. Why you think so? Examples? I'm just curious.