Gilbert talks up American players [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gilbert talks up American players

nobama
08-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Roddick's Success Is the Latest for American Players (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/05/AR2005080501860.html)

To hear Brad Gilbert talk, American men's tennis could be in the midst of a summer renaissance. During his television analysis of Andy Roddick's quarterfinal match at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic yesterday, Gilbert marveled at the strong results American men have produced since the start of the hard-court season....

"I can't remember the last time three different Americans have won consecutive hard-court tournaments," Gilbert said on television.Ok, Brad I think it's great that American men are winning too, but lets not forget that Federer, Nadal, Hewitt and Safin (among other top 20) didn't play in any of these tournaments. Let's see how well the likes of Ginepri, Dent, Blake, Spadea fare when the best are back in action.

Gilbert also said at one of these tournaments that Roddick is THE favorite on HC. I don't know if he was referring to this US Open Series or what. But, did he forget about Hewitt, Safin and Federer? In the last 2 years Roddick won 4 hardcourt tournaments, and he reached two finals where he lost to Federer. Hewit won 3 hardcourt titles, reaching 4 finals, losing one to Agassi, one to Safin and two to Federer. Safin won 3 titles and reached one final where he lost to Federer. And Federer won 12 titles, this year winning back-to-back HC TMS events. Does Gilbert really believe Roddick has a better chance on HC than these three? Especially considering his record againt Hewitt (1-6) and Federer (1-9). Roddick's one win against Federer was on HC back in 2003, but he's never beaten Hewitt on HC.

There was one paragraph in this article that was strange....
Not only have American men won two out of the last five tournaments, but they are also advancing deep into the draw. At the RCA Championships, Ginepri defeated fellow American Taylor Dent, who also advanced to the final of the Pacific Life Open before falling to top-ranked Roger Federer on March 7. Three weeks later, Agassi advanced to the final of the Nasdaq-100 Open before falling to Federer. Vince Spadea reached the semifinals of the Arizona Men's Tennis Classic in February.Um, Roger's never played Taylor Dent, and the Pacfic Life Open final wasn't on March 7. Also, he and Agassi didn't meet in the Nasdaq 100 finals, they met in the semis.

lunahielo
08-07-2005, 12:37 PM
originally posted by mirkaland
Ok, Brad I think it's great that American men are winning too, but lets not forget that Federer, Nadal, Hewitt and Safin (among other top 20) didn't play in any of these tournaments. Let's see how well the likes of Ginepri, Dent, Blake, Spadea fare when the best are back in action
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He really doesn't think~~or get his facts right, before he speaks or writes. does he?

avocadoe
08-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Brad must be on some new drug...or maybe the black clothes dye is geting to his brain :) the only truth in it is Safin is out hurt, Hewitt is honeymooning, and Roger is playing just a little this summer and not clear if hw'll be fully fit/and/or rusty. That said, they are paying him to be like that. But those factual mistakes are really BIG! Also it leaves Nadal, #1 sed next week outta the equation. Really looking forward to seeing him. I am glad Blake is doing better, and interested to see how he looks playing Andy today. Fish is still fishy, Dent on and off, Ginepri Minnie Diver's ex :) I was glad he won a tournament :) anyway, bring it ON...

nobama
08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He really doesn't think~~or get his facts right, before he speaks or writes. does he?
He's delusional. Obviously a win is a win, but until these guys (excluding Agassi & Roddick of course) can win a tournament where the best are competing then there's nothing to get excited about. Ok, maybe these wins are confidence builders for the likes of Blake and Ginepri, but I still don't see it as a sign of a resurgence in American players. I would agree with Brad that Andy is a favorite on HC, among others. But he certainly isn't THE favorite. The fact that Fed is #1 and has won 12 HC (indoor & outdoor) titles in since the beginning of '04 has to make him the favorite no matter what. And Hewitt beating Roddick every time they've played on HC has to put him a step above as well. Doesn't mean Roddick can't win the US Open this year, but unless Fed and Hewitt are taken out early I don't see it happening.

Deboogle!.
08-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Brad is :cuckoo: - we all know that, so does everyone else who commentates on ESPN and all the players. But he has always been a RAH RAH RAH GO AMERICANS kind of guy. It's Brad, does anyone care what he has to say? Does anyone actually listen? Okay, that's what I thought ;):lol:

mishar
08-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about that article. I mean, it's not like Brad says that the American men are going to dominate the tour. They have had a huge resurgence this summer -- Blake and Ginepri have posted their best results in over a year, Dent has been playing on and off well this year. So far 5 of the 6 finalists in the hard court tournaments have been USians. That's a very good result for them. Does it mean they're better than Federer, Safin, Nadal? No, of course not, but Brad doesn't say that it does. But these tournaments could easily be won by Hrbaty & Srichipan & other good players who the USians had to beat en route to the final. So in that sense a good result.

And Brad didn't write the article, someone at the WPost did.

Socket
08-07-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about that article. I mean, it's not like Brad says that the American men are going to dominate the tour. They have had a huge resurgence this summer -- Blake and Ginepri have posted their best results in over a year, Dent has been playing on and off well this year. So far 5 of the 6 finalists in the hard court tournaments have been USians. That's a very good result for them. Does it mean they're better than Federer, Safin, Nadal? No, of course not, but Brad doesn't say that it does. But these tournaments could easily be won by Hrbaty & Srichipan & other good players who the USians had to beat en route to the final. So in that sense a good result.

You're on MTF, and in GM to boot, so please stop making sense. ;)

Fee
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
You're on MTF, and in GM to boot, so please stop making sense. ;)

Marry me. Oh wait, we'd have to move to Vermont, Massachusetts or Canada. I can't deal with cold climates. Nevermind.

Add Judith Evans to the list of 'part-time tennis writers with no fucking clue'. :rolleyes: The worst part of it is, the knowledgeable, full time tennis writers are slowly getting old and dying off, so the future will be full of more dreck like this article, not less.

KoOlMaNsEaN
08-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Why are we even paying attention to him anymore????

njnetswill
08-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Any man who uses "American" and "easy bake oven" in the same sentence at French Open is delusional.

Socket
08-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Marry me. Oh wait, we'd have to move to Vermont, Massachusetts or Canada. I can't deal with cold climates. Nevermind.

Add Judith Evans to the list of 'part-time tennis writers with no fucking clue'. :rolleyes: The worst part of it is, the knowledgeable, full time tennis writers are slowly getting old and dying off, so the future will be full of more dreck like this article, not less.
Oh, Fee, you're dumping me because of the . . . weather?!?! :eek:

Now I know how Lleyton felt when Kim dumped him. :bigcry:

tangerine_dream
08-07-2005, 08:46 PM

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to mishar again :worship:

You're on MTF, and in GM to boot, so please stop making sense.

Marry me, Socket. :hearts:

Socket
08-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Marry me, Socket. :hearts:
I'm on the rebound from Fee, so YES. :couple:

That'll teach you, Fee. :nerner:

Fee
08-07-2005, 09:27 PM
damn...

back to my husband, yet again...

Castafiore
08-08-2005, 06:32 AM
This article offers a slightly different take on it:
Men's Tennis has long rally ahead of it - msnbc (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8864293/)

As understandably proud as folks were to see two Americans, friends no less, reach the final, it would seem we've got to get past our own xenophobia, particularly when it comes to men's tennis. What, the final would have been unappealing had Spaniard Rafael Nadal, Mr. Capri Pants, been opposite Roddick yesterday afternoon?

Every conversation about the drop in popularity of men's tennis over the years seems to center on what the American players are doing, or not doing.

But let's not blame it on 'no personalities.' That's a false premise. Roger Federer is a personality by force of his talent. He has the most effortless magic I've ever seen.

"Lleyton Hewitt has a Jimmy Connors-like combativeness. He's married to an actress, hates the press, the whole thing. He's T.O. with an [Australian] accent. Marat Safin is a self-tortured genius. He's off the wall with tremendous physical talent. And Nadal — talk about personality and game. He's like the fighter who throws a hundred punches in a row."

Tennis had its niche in America and gave it up. There's no problem with the popularity of tennis in Australia or Europe. There is a problem here

Nimomunz
08-08-2005, 12:16 PM
brilliant article!