more frustrations in getting The Tennis Channel [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

more frustrations in getting The Tennis Channel

Devotee
08-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Letter To Editor: I Want TTC Now!
By Carol Posner
08/05/2005

Editor's Note: Tennis Week periodically posts letters to the editor on an assortment of topics. Long-time TW reader Carol Posner, who has lobbied Cablevision to add The Tennis Channel, comments on Tennis Week's recent coverage of TTC here.

Now that we have been given the opportunity to see more tennis due to the new summer addition of the U.S. Open Series, it becomes even more frustrating not to be able to get The Tennis Channel!

I live less than 10 minutes from the Tennis Week office in Rye and the USTA headquarters in White Plains and 20 minutes from the U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows.

I love your magazine. It's the best and most informative view of tennis, players and issues without tons of advertisements.

However, your back-to-back issues devoting so much coverage of The Tennis Channel — including placing Tennis Channel president and founder Steve Bellamy's photo on the cover — is kind of an "in your face" to those of us who have the misfortune to have Cablevision as our only choice of a provider.

I personally have done about as much as I can to get Cablevision to allow us to get The Tennis Channel since so many people just 20 minutes away in Time Warner-viewing land get it.

I am also constantly getting phone calls from my friends in Florida — Adelphia Cableland telling me what wonderful matches they are watching. Since I have heard that The Tennis Channel is in so many markets across the country, I think it's about time someone helped us out to convince Cablevision to add The Tennis Channel — Not Somehow, Someway, Someday — NOW!!!!

Carol Posner
Fustrated in Westchester County

NicoFan
08-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I can understand what this woman is going through. I have TTC, but even with it and even though its much better, tennis coverage is bad here in the US.

And from the comments that I have seen written here on MTF, it appears that the European countries, and Australia have a lack of TV coverage also (one big example was that someone wrote that they didn't get the French Open in Australia if I remember correctly).

They had a show on TTC with "experts" talking about tennis as a global sport from about a year ago, and one of the guys said that in 20 years that people will be able to see all tournaments. I have to say that I'm skeptical about that prediction. And I wonder if even if they have all tournaments if we'll only get to see are the top players on center court - I like other players than the top players and would like to see courts other than center courts now and again.

I find the TV situation very frustrating. I'm very tired of following my favorite players via the internet. While its better than nothing, it goes without saying that a fan wants to watch their players in action, not their score change on their computer screen ever couple of minutes.

And I have the misfortunate of only liking the latino players from South America and Spain, and only get to see them here if they are playing an American.

Bottom line (in my opinion) is that any sport in the 21st century will have problems growing if there isn't TV coverage.

There is the hope that we can get live streams via the internet but in places where there isn't the infrastructure to support that it isn't a viable option yet - though it may be in the future.

I love tennis - but I want to SEE my favorite sport - not stare at a live ticker (if and when they are working properly). When I want to see the Yanks play - I turn on my TV for all their games. Ditto basketball, hockey, racing. Even if I liked the Lakers all the way on the other side of the country rather than the Knicks, I could get a special TV package and pay a bit extra to watch all their games. Tennis has nothing like that.

avocadoe
08-06-2005, 03:47 PM
I feel vvv frustrated, too. We have digital COMCAST and it has actually signed with TTC BUT, and it s BIGGIE BUT, each cable area makes its own decision whether to offer it. I live in a tennis loving thriving area, only ten miles from an area in the same county that has it!!! and I can't get anyone on the phone to admit they ever heard of it, and writing them get me back a gobbledegook e-mail of pre-written key paragraphs that give no satisfaction or enlightenment. I am thinking of moving, LOL, as the only solution.

Deboogle!.
08-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Comcast will add it, just keep harassing them and have everyone you know harass them. It worked in LA, it worked in some other places on the east coast, so there's proof that Comcast is willing to add it if there's enough consumer demand.

As for the original post, I fail to see how TW putting a lot of attention on TTC is like an in your face attack at those not getting it... they're trying to publicize the network, I really don't think they're trying to get people who don't have TTC to feel badly about it. lol.

njnetswill
08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Time Warner offers it.

ae wowww
08-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I hate the way this is done :D Why is the Tennis Channel not available to ANYONE :D?? They could be so much bigger, and make loads more $$$ if they did so-internationally would not be a problem.

Sharad1982
08-06-2005, 05:45 PM
truly i'm so frustrated, one sport i love so much, and this country can't do a 1/10 of a decent job in providing us with the goods
i live in montgomery county in maryland, in city of germantown, suburb of DC
so i was checking the sites where comcast cable has got TTC, prince george's county which is right next to montgomery county is offering it since june, washington dc - city itself will carry TTC thru comcast in late august........BUT WHY NOT MONTGOMERY COUNTY, i think there are many many many tennis fans here, this is so ridiculous, anne arundel county near baltimore also is carrying it, but not mont. county again
and these places are not even so far away from my place

i called comcast yesterday and the rep said any month now, but he's not sure, it could be soon, but this has been goin on for a while, i really hope comcast in montgomery county carries the tennis channel

: (

--Sharad

NicoFan
08-06-2005, 05:52 PM
It would be cool if other parts of the world could get TTC - and I would love to get SKY and Eurosport over here. I've written to them but they said no, they are only in Europe and no plans to come to the US. :sad:

And I don't think that its TTC here in the US that is holding it up. Cable companies have so many sports channels to choose from now - way more than they can possibly put on. So they are being really slow now in putting them up.

Personally like one of the other posters saying they would move to get TTC - I would love to move to Europe so I can see my favorites ;) - they have twice the number of tournaments there, and all my favorites play in Europe 80% of their tournaments and rarely come here to the US. :sad:

ae wowww
08-06-2005, 06:03 PM
NicoFan, do you want to swap buddy :D?? I am in London, you can have you choice of Sky Sports and Eurosport/GB Eurosport! I want the Tennis Channel and with it, more doubles :D:D

NicoFan
08-06-2005, 06:22 PM
NicoFan, do you want to swap buddy :D?? I am in London, you can have you choice of Sky Sports and Eurosport/GB Eurosport! I want the Tennis Channel and with it, more doubles :D:D

I would love to swap...lol!!!!!!!!!!! :) I love London :cool: To have SKY and Eurosport - how awesome. And I would be close to all those lovely European tournaments my beloved South American and Spanish players go to - I would be in heaven. :)

Not sure that you really want to swap though...you would get a lot of doubles and Davis Cup coverage is awesome and you get to see Rafa a lot in the clay court tournaments, but you also get a lot of Roger, Andy, Andre, Lleyton, etc. If you like players outside of the top ten, you'd never see them unless they were playing these guys.

ae wowww
08-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Hehe that's true :D Just really can't see why TV channels are not interested in expanding... I thought it was every company's dream :rolleyes: