Grand Slams indoors [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Grand Slams indoors

BAMJ6
08-06-2005, 01:46 AM
I know there had the ATP championships indoors once, but i want your opinion on whether you'd look at a Grand Slam tournament differently if it were inside? If so, which of the 4 slams would you want "inside"

I personally would want the US Open inside. Put it in Manhattan and put it in "The World's Most Famous Arena" See how the Garden receives tennis.

Carolinita
08-06-2005, 01:54 AM
maybe the AO 'cause the heat :p

Flibbertigibbet
08-06-2005, 02:01 AM
I think the season-ending championships being indoors is a good idea, considering the indoor events are being played right before it - it's a good culmination. If I'd absolutely have to change one of the slams to indoor (assuming that's feasible, cost-wise), it'd probably be the Oz Open.

alelysafina
08-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Wimbledon, it rains way too much over there.. wait and the US Open too...

Flibbertigibbet
08-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Centre Court definitely needs a dome (does anyone know when they're planning to have it built? 2008?), but I'm not so sure how much it rains at the US Open (though in '03, it was a horrid problem).

Fee
08-06-2005, 06:03 AM
Sure, as soon as you build a facility that has 18 indoor courts and a dozen or so indoor practice courts, and can hold about 40,000 spectators, I'm there!

iliketennis
08-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Maybe Miami? (it is the 5th slam ;) )

Dirk
08-06-2005, 03:19 PM
The Cup at the year end is a big enough indoor event. I am sorry to see it leave Houston since Ninja was so so good there. :sad:

NicoFan
08-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I know there had the ATP championships indoors once, but i want your opinion on whether you'd look at a Grand Slam tournament differently if it were inside? If so, which of the 4 slams would you want "inside"

I personally would want the US Open inside. Put it in Manhattan and put it in "The World's Most Famous Arena" See how the Garden receives tennis.

I wouldn't want to see a Slam inside - for the obviously reasons as Fee said - how on earth could you find someplace big enough that would be able to house 20 something courts??? MSG can only have two courts.

The answer to the rain problem for Wimbledon, Roland Garros, and the US Open is to get retractable roofs over the show courts.

I would like to see an indoor tournament somewhere in NYC though - don't know where - maybe when they build another stadium for Shea, they can build a sports complex too that could house 6-8 courts with a main stadium and grandstand. NYC can defnitely support more than the US Open.

Saumon
08-06-2005, 03:33 PM
if Bercy was a Grand Slam Marat would have 5 GS crowns :p :woohoo:

mitalidas
08-06-2005, 04:12 PM
the AO is sometimes player "indoors". marat was really lucky this year, when the heat policy came into effect against an ultra-fit hrbaty (who would have dealt better with the heat). undoubtedly, marat is the better indoor player between them and made it virtually impossible for hrbaty to have a shot in hell then

ae wowww
08-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Sure, as soon as you build a facility that has 18 indoor courts and a dozen or so indoor practice courts, and can hold about 40,000 spectators, I'm there!

My thoughts exactly :yeah: It is wholly impractical.. Fee, what's the lowest form of wit though? ;)

Eve83
08-06-2005, 07:35 PM
On the moon;)

Indoor slam is just not cool enough, besides like a few posters already said, it´s just too expensive

*Ljubica*
08-06-2005, 07:54 PM

Exactly :yeah: Far too expensive and impractical - though the idea appeals to me in principal, as I loathe rain delays and I loathe sitting in the sun getting burnt even more :devil: Indoor tennis is far more comfortable!

Nimomunz
08-06-2005, 10:07 PM
well if the TMC is indoors the transition is much better from Bercy and also Marat has more stuff going for him!
edit: Thanks Saumon! :o

Saumon
08-06-2005, 10:14 PM
well if the TMC is indoors the transition is much better from Bersy and also Marat has more stuff going for him!
:)

its Bercy btw :secret: