SAULNIER, Cyril FRA v ANCIC, Mario CRO
Qualifier v (2) HEWITT, Lleyton AUS

freesbee
08-05-2005, 09:23 PM
:crying2: boo hoo

vamos both, but only one can win the match unfortunately :sad:

Clara Bow
08-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Aaargh another tought draw where he faces Gasquet really early.

And Roddick- who is ranked #2, not #1 has two qualifiers in his section. I like Roddick but his early rounds are so much easier than Nadal's (although Radek could be trouble) that it doesn't really seem fair.

amierin
08-05-2005, 09:49 PM
And Roddick- who is ranked #2, not #1 has two qualifiers in his section. I like Roddick but his early rounds are so much easier than Nadal's (although Radek could be trouble) that it doesn't really seem fair.

They always do that for Roddick, that is why he also makes it to at least the semi-finals.

Jennay
08-06-2005, 12:03 AM
¡Vamos Rafa! :banana:

Carlita
08-06-2005, 12:18 AM
This totally sucks! :sad: what a crappy draw!!! Rafa cariño, go easy on Charly por favor... still with this surface....who knows what might happen :shrug:

adelaide
08-06-2005, 01:18 AM
...i'll be in Montreal to do some damage to Montreal draw makers, Carlita :hug:

it's a reaaally bad draw not only for Rafa but for everyone I support... whyyyyy. :bigcry:

LaTenista
08-06-2005, 03:01 AM
As much as I loathe this draw, every cloud has a silver lining: at least one of them (Rafa or Charly) will get to the 2nd round.

Buena suerte al dos tenistas mallorquínes.

Scotso
08-06-2005, 05:27 AM
This tournament has Rafa's name all over it.

I'm not worried about MOYA. Vamos Rafael! :bounce:

Lithuanian
08-06-2005, 07:57 AM
yeah... the draw isn't the easiest for sure...

Björki
08-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Vamos Rafa :bounce:

Carlita
08-06-2005, 10:24 AM
...i'll be in Montreal to do some damage to Montreal draw makers, Carlita :hug: :lol: Cool :yeah: I'd help ya if I could! hahaha!

Oh, unless one of our guys made the draw...Rafa made the draw in RG too... if that's the case, just kick his ass, so he can't sit for a few hours or so! ;) That'll teach him not to do this anymore! :lol::angel:

~EMiLiTA~
08-06-2005, 01:20 PM
i can't believe he has to play Carlos...that's just plain cruel...

this will be Rafa's big chance to win a hardcourt masters though since Rogi isn't there. Roddick could pose a few probs, but hopefully el niño will get through!

AMUNT NEN!!!

topspin_baby
08-06-2005, 04:09 PM
WOW!! CARLOS MOYA IN THE FIRST ROUND! what a treat!!!

too bad i can't watch, i'm sooo unlucky to have my mid-term exams in the same week as the tournament!!

Anyhoo...enjoy watching the tournament you guys!

:wavey: ;) :wavey: ;) :wavey:

ataptc
08-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Vamos Rafa! Lets have a good transition onto hardcourts :D

adelaide
08-07-2005, 01:34 AM
wheeeeeeeee im leaving in 13 hours :D :D see you guys on Friday!!!! :banana:

Eruwen
08-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Rafa's playing doubles with Tommy again! :woohoo: :banana:

Björki
08-07-2005, 09:45 AM
vamos Rafa & Tommy :bounce:

~EMiLiTA~
08-07-2005, 11:53 AM
*sigh* i wish we had coverage...but the time difference is dreadful anyway...

Iza
08-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Have fun Addey :yeah:

Vamos Rafa, good luck against LCOM...i dunno who to cheer for :shrug: I guess I like Rafa more, LCOM is just a recent preference ...I just hope whoever wins gets far in the tournament :bounce:

HybridTheory
08-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Buena suerte Rafa! :yeah:

alexito
08-08-2005, 12:42 AM
yessssssssss rafaaaaaaaaaaaaa
you are the number 1 in montreal
you can win montreal

eddie_hyden
08-08-2005, 03:01 AM
wow been a while since i'm 'ere.

VAMOS rafa!! tough draw huh?...

but I BELIEVE in our rafa. Lost nevermind, but FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

cheers all,

...ed

veyonce
08-08-2005, 08:14 AM
:wavey: Eddie, nice to see another Singaporean here... The live telecast of Rogers Cup is so long.... Tonite's from 11pm to 11.30am tomolo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody know when he & Tommy will play their doubles match??

Lenka
08-08-2005, 10:55 AM
oh, I can't believe Rafa vs Moya! but i think I'm for Rafa ( sorry Carlos's fans )

I'm happy he plays doubles again with Tommy!!! :D

GOOD LUCK!!! :bounce:

HybridTheory
08-08-2005, 12:50 PM
At what time do they play ?

parissima
08-08-2005, 02:17 PM
No, no, no... Not Carlos vs Rafa! :( Who am i to support in such a case? :scared:

Humpf, and i gotta find out whether i'll be able to watch the watch or not.

ayena
08-08-2005, 09:25 PM
That's not the best draw i've seen but I really hope that they'll schow Rafa-Carlos match in TV *praying for that* :rolleyes: It's good to be back btw after not so good holidays :p

Carlita
08-08-2005, 10:03 PM
:sad: I hate this first round... I'll go for Carlos this time (well, he's my number one, so, he'll get my vote 9 out of 10 anyway :lol: ) But, should he lose, I won't be too upset because he lost to this cutiepie!

OOOOOOOOH Gosia!!!!!! :worship: Love the av!!! :hearts: come show it in Nando's Chicas'Chat!! The Chicas will love it!!! :D

linny28grace
08-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Does anyone know when the match is? Im so behind (vacation for a week). Luckily I'm in about the same timezone as Montreal so atleast the matches won't be at 2 am

liisa
08-09-2005, 01:18 AM
according to the official site of RogersCcup- not before 1 am

LaTenista
08-09-2005, 03:37 AM
according to the official site of RogersCcup- not before 1 am

1 pm ;) 1 am would be in the middle of the night!

veyonce
08-09-2005, 05:19 AM
Yes... Taylor Dent's match also around the same time... Hope ESPN will show rafa vs moya match... Should have taken leave on wednesday.. :(

ataptc
08-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Good OOP today and I dont need to go to school tomorrow! :banana:

Poor Veyonce :hug:

eddie_hyden
08-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Good OOP today and I dont need to go to school tomorrow! :banana:

Poor Veyonce :hug:

veyonce only? i may miss it too, if they show it on sports chn ;p

hi veyonce!!

cheers all!

Jennay
08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes... Taylor Dent's match also around the same time... Hope ESPN will show rafa vs moya match... Should have taken leave on wednesday.. :(
ESPN2 says that they will show Nadal/Moya at 1pm. :yeah:

Edit: ESPN's schedule for today:

Aug. 9 2005
U.S. Open Series Tennis: Rogers Masters
Rafael Nadal vs. Carlos Moya
Du Maurier Stadium Montreal, CA Canada 1:00 pm to 3:00pm.

Aug. 9 2005
U.S. Open Series Tennis: Rogers Masters
Andy Roddick vs. Paul-Henri Mathieu
Du Maurier Stadium Montreal, CA Canada 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm.

linny28grace
08-09-2005, 06:19 PM
NOOOO THEY SWITCHED SHIRTS!!!!!!!! Rafa doesn't look very good in gray!

cindygermanier
08-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Nadal 6/3 6/7

veyonce
08-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Vamos!!!!!!!!!!! Rafa's through the 2nd round!!! Hope his forearm's ok.... So sad couldn't watch the 3rd set after Star Sports switched Grosjean's match...

Carlita
08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
:hug: well done my little man! :banana: oooh didn't uncle Carlos give you a hard time then!! :p ;)

Jennay
08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Bueno Rafa :hug: Take care of the forearm! :)

ataptc
08-10-2005, 02:57 AM
veyonce only? i may miss it too, if they show it on sports chn ;p
awww I'm sorry I missed you out, eddie :hug: Forgot that you work too :)

Vamos! Glad he won his first hardcourt match in many months :)

veyonce
08-10-2005, 03:21 AM
awww I'm sorry I missed you out, eddie :hug: Forgot that you work too :)

Vamos! Glad he won his first hardcourt match in many months :)

I stayed up to catch the match... Now struggling to stay awake....

Btw, anyone going Shanghai Tennis Masters Cup???

GonzoFan
08-10-2005, 03:39 AM
Great match :yeah: I'm so happy Rafa won :woohoo:

Scotso
08-10-2005, 03:52 AM
Nadal/Robredo won their doubles, too :D

7-6(3) 6-2 over Allegro/Hrbaty :D

veyonce
08-10-2005, 03:58 AM
He & Tommy also through to the 2nd round!!!! 7-6,6-2... Vamos!!!

His english is so cute esp this: Yeah, sometimes I have this problem, but is not important problem. Normally he come for two games or little bit time, and after go out.

Rogers Cup Website:-

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: First question, please.

Q. Can you give us an update on your hand or finger?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I am okay. I only have little bit cramps in the beginning of the third. But after, I feel good. I stop the cramps.

Q. Have you had problems like that before?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sometimes I have this problem, but is not important problem. Normally he come for two games or little bit time, and after go out.

Q. Was that a tougher match than you would have liked today? Would you have liked an easier match?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. I know Moya is a very good player. I know is very difficult match. In the court, I think we play good, Moya and me play good, play very good match.

I think I have lot of chances, a lot of breakpoints in the second set, in the third too, and I can't do the break. That's the thing because I go to the third. He only has one breakpoint and I have 15 and I only do two (smiling). Is a little bit little.

Q. You've known Moya for a long time. Can you talk about how playing against him in practice helped you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, we practice always together in Mallorca , no? We have very good relation. Is my best friend in the tour. I don't know. I know him -- I was know him five years before. We practice a lot of time. We know all about the game (laughter).

Q. He actually said you helped him more than he helped you during those years when you were hitting together. Is he just being kind or is that true?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think so. I don't know. He help me a lot because when I was not professional, I can practice with a very good player, with a top 10 player, and that's very important for improving in my level. And, I don't know, is possible I help him with the motivation because I am young and he watch me, and that's important for him, too.

Q. Second set tiebreaker.

RAFAEL NADAL: Unbelievable (smiling). Best tiebreak of my career.

Q. You committed the first double-fault.

RAFAEL NADAL: In the match.

Q. And two unforced errors. What happened?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know yet. No, I think I have a lot of chances in the set. And after when I arrive in the tiebreak, I think is not possible. Is very important the first point because he miss the first serve and I play -- I don't play aggressive in the second serve. He go to the net and I have one passing shot out. The second set I have the double-fault. Third point he play good point, so 3-0. After with 3-0 is not easy because he was serving unbelievable, no? And with 5-0, is finish.

Q. What was the difficulty converting the breakpoints, 13 of the 15 you did not convert? Was that because he played very well on those points or was it something you didn't do?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know, because in the statistics this year, before this tournament, I am the best player in the breakpoints convert. Today I think he play -- he serve unbelievable in the breakpoints. He have some aces, a lot of good first serves, and I think for me I don't play -- (switching to Spanish).

ATP: He wasn't as aggressive as he wanted to be in those points.

RAFAEL NADAL: And that's the most important thing, I think. If I play a little bit more aggressive, the opponent have more pression. But I don't play aggressive, and for that I only win two breakpoints of 15.

Q. Do you feel a lot of pressure being the top seed in this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I feel the same pression like the other players. I want to win matches, and the other players for sure, they want to win, too, no? So I feel the normal pression. I feel my pression because I want to win every match every time when I go to the court. I want to win the match. I want to play good.

But I think I feel normal pression. The more pression in the year is in Roland Garros , I think. But after that, I feel the normal pression, not special.

Q. Are you pleased with your game today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am happy. I think for the first match, the first match is never easy. I think today we play a very good level, the two, he and me, no? So I am happy. And it's important win the first match with three sets, with important moments, with tough match. That's important for the confidence. And finally win the match, that's important, too, no?

Q. When you play against Carlos , are you still aware that it's him or do you block that out when you're playing him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, of course, I know that. I don't say a lot of -- (switching to Spanish.)

ATP: He watches his gestures and all that. Like usually he would be more pumped up, show more things. He watches what he does a little bit more. He tried not to show as much maybe, but the rest is the same.

Q. You're only 19 years old. Do you feel you can still get much better?

RAFAEL NADAL: Of course, I think, I hope. I am too young. I want improve a lot of things in my game. For stay in the same place, I always say the most important thing is the illusion, the humble, and to improve every day. So I need improve a lot of things in my game and I am working about that.

Q. What did you think when you first saw that Carlos would be your first match in this tournament? How did you react?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's okay. We know that in the plane. We travel together, the same flight. Is okay. Is not easy. I prefer another player because he's a very good player. He's a very good friend.

But the draw, you know, every time is different, is difficult, and it's okay. We know that.

Q. You said you already played against Mello . What kind of player is he, your next opponent?

RAFAEL NADAL: Very tough match. I think Mello is a very good player. I was play with him in Brazil , in semifinal in Brazil . Was a very tough match. I won 6-4 in the third. But I was losing 4-2 in the third, and ball for 5-2 down. So I know is a difficult match and I need play my best for try the victor.

Q. Carlos said it might not be easy but he feels you have the talent to win this tournament. How would you react to something like that?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know, every tournament is very difficult. And if is in hard, is one Masters Series . So the best 50 players stay here, and now is very difficult win the tournament. But is very difficult for all players, I think. Roddick sometimes have a little bit more chance or Hewitt . But Hewitt retired today.

But I know is very difficult. I only want to play my best. I feel good on court. If I win the next match, I am in the third round. When one player stay in the third round, is only two matches or three matches if one player stay playing good, he have chance always, no?

Q. You seem to have more fun out on the tennis court than most people do. Is that mostly your personality as a young, energetic 19-year-old or because you have all the wins this year?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think is my personality. I think is my personality, no? I like the competition a lot. I enjoy the game. And I like the difficult moments. I like the pression. I feel good when I stay in court, if I don't play very bad, I am happy for play this tournament. Is nice tournament.

I am in very good position now, No. 2. I am happy for that because I never think that six months before, one year before, when I come here, I am beginning for one injury. When one player stay injury for three months, and you know you are watching your ranking going down, after that is always more important for every player, no?

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

adelaide
08-10-2005, 05:07 AM

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

I was at the Moya match today and he seemed pretty comfortable in the first, and the second set I could tell he was having some kind of a problem. I was a little scared when he called out the doctor, but I'm glad he won. He could have played better, but I think he's doing pretty well with the clay-hardcourt transition.

and I got really mad at him during that "best tiebreak of his career". ;)

and I really don't like his shirt...

Clara Bow
08-10-2005, 05:18 AM
He is just adorable in his English interviews.

And a cheeky sense of humor.

veyonce
08-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Yup... Especially when he mentioned his cramps... a 'he'?? :D

And the pression... Think he meant pressure??

Moya was also very nice when he was asked about Rafa... Posting Carlos Moya's interview too.. I like this Moya's quote: "I think there was a beast inside of him, and I think the one who woke up the beast was Roddick in the Davis Cup tie. I think after that, everything was unbelievable happen to him, and he is really hungry to win. He's very professional. So I think that's why he's winning every match lately. He's playing very well."

Well said!!! Just sad that they have to meet in the first round...

Rogers Cup Website:-

An interview with:

CAROLS MOYA

THE MODERATOR: First question for Carlos .

Q. It must be exhausting to play during 2 hours and 40 minutes on the central court in that heat against a player especially like Rafael .

CAROLS MOYA: Yeah, were tough conditions today. Was pretty windy, as well. But is a pity for me that been fighting -- I've been fighting for two hours and a half and then play one game really bad, 4-3 on my serve, and then it cost the match.

No, it's a pity for me. But good thing is that I play well. I think I can still play these guys and even beat them. I've been very close. It didn't happen today, but I'm healthy again. My shoulder is fine. So I have to get the good things of the match today.

Q. Is it more difficult to play against Rafael in the sense that you are very good friends?

CAROLS MOYA: Yeah, is not easy. But, you know, once we get to the court, we forget about friendship or anything. So is tough to play him because he's very good. That's the only thing. It's not because we are good friends or whatever.

He's playing well. His balls are coming very heavy. Is not easy to play him. He's lefty. Is not easy at all to play him.

Q. When he was younger, did you know he was going to become as good as he has?

CAROLS MOYA: Well, he was already one of the best two in the world of his age, him and Gasquet . But to be honest, I didn't expect him to be that good so early. He's just 19. He was 18. He won many tournaments already, so was everything very fast. So I didn't expect that for him.

I knew that he was playing challengers, he played three, four or five, he won most of them, then he became professional. It took a while for him. He got injured. It took a while, the breakthrough. He was 40, 50 in the rankings for a year, year and a half. Suddenly everything happened.

I think there was a beast inside of him, and I think the one who woke up the beast was Roddick in the Davis Cup tie. I think after that, everything was unbelievable happen to him, and he is really hungry to win. He's very professional. So I think that's why he's winning every match lately. He's playing very well.

Q. Do you wish sometimes when you had practiced together you hadn't pushed him so hard; partly responsible for him being so good?

CAROLS MOYA: No. I mean, he's good enough that he doesn't need anybody. I mean, I didn't do anything special. Just I've been his partner for a long time. He's been very good to me. He helped me a lot because he was 14, 15, and you don't want to lose to a kid during the practice. He forces you to improve. The same way that I helped him little bit, I think he helped me a lot.

I think we've been good with each other. I'm going to try to help him if he needs anything, but doesn't look like it (smiling).

Q. Nadal's serve is not very strong, yet you didn't break him once in three sets.

CAROLS MOYA: Well, I don't think it was for his serve the reason I didn't break him. I mean, from baseline, he's really tough. And also being lefty, is not easy to attack his serve. Is not very powerful, is not very fast, but is lefty and a lot of spin, so is not easy. And was windy.

But from baseline, I mean, he puts every ball back. There were a few points that I thought was not going to come back the ball at all, and was coming really fast. He puts the ball where he has to put it, you know. He makes you work very hard for every point.

You know, I think it's all together what makes him really good and makes it tough to break his serve.

Q. What was going through your mind during the injury timeout? Did it change the match?

CAROLS MOYA: I think it didn't change anything. He won that game and I won my game. Didn't change anything at all. He told me he was cramping a little bit, his finger. So I don't think he won the match because of that injury timeout, not at all.

Q. You said earlier that one game went bad, how the match changed. Can you explain what happened during that one game?

CAROLS MOYA: When he broke my serve?

Q. Yes.

CAROLS MOYA: Well, the truth is that I was starting every game on my serve losing the first point. Then I had to do miracle to win every game. He had 15 breakpoints - 14 before he made that one. So I was playing very well. I was on the limit, I would say. I played really bad the first three points. Was Love-40. I played another bad one. That was it.

It was just that I always had some ups and downs, and today I lost concentration a little bit. Probably that's why what happened.

Q. Has he made any remark to you since the match about whether he thought it was a good match?

CAROLS MOYA: He said that it was a good match. He had many chances to break my serve. He was running a lot. He told me he was very tired because he had to run much more than I did. But he told me he was playing a little bit far from the baseline, and that I was controlling with the forehand, he had to run. Just few things. Nothing special.

Q. Do you think he can win his first hard court tournament this week?

CAROLS MOYA: Well, is going to be tough. I think he's going to be playing better and better as the weeks go on. Well, if he's able to win here... It won't be easy. It won't be easy. The court is very fast. It's his first tournament since Miami on hard court. Is not going to be easy.

It wouldn't surprise me either. I've seen what he's able to do so far, so I know he can win here.

Q. Do you feel the second set tiebreak shifted the momentum to your side at all, gave you a good boost going into the third?

CAROLS MOYA: Yeah, I think so. I think that tiebreak, I played very well. Until that moment, I was feeling that on his serve I didn't have much chances, and he was having chances. But we were one set all. Although I had just one breakpoint, I was feeling that anything could happen. I had the breakpoint then in the next game on his serve, was 15-All, I had an easy ball. He was at the net. Maybe it was 15-30, I don't know. You never know what can happen.

But the third set, I felt it could go either way.

Castafiore
08-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Q. He actually said you helped him more than he helped you during those years when you were hitting together. Is he just being kind or is that true?
What a sweet thing to say! Really sad that Moya had to play against him in the first round.

:haha:

I think there was a beast inside of him, and I think the one who woke up the beast was Roddick in the Davis Cup tie. I think after that, everything was unbelievable happen to him, and he is really hungry to win. He's very professional. So I think that's why he's winning every match lately. He's playing very well."
I think we've been good with each other. I'm going to try to help him if he needs anything, but doesn't look like it (smiling).
OK, it's official...I adore these guys!

Thanks for posting those transcripts!

nenadeSergio
08-10-2005, 07:34 AM
The match was really incredible!! I enjoyed every minute of it and only wished this was a final! :worship: to both.

chocc0
08-10-2005, 09:59 AM
aww he's so cute
Vamos!

Saumon
08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
He only has one breakpoint and I have 15 and I only do two (smiling). Is a little bit little.
I love him :hug:

adelaide
08-11-2005, 04:01 AM
he just won his match against Ricardo Mello 6-1 6-2 :woohoo:

oop for tmrw is not out yet :ras:

veyonce
08-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Caught the match too.. Wonder if tomorrow's match will clash with his doubles match against the Bryan Bros???

Björki
08-11-2005, 06:19 AM
well done Rafa :clap2:

GonzoFan
08-11-2005, 06:37 AM
:woohoo: RAFA !!! :woohoo:
Good luck tomorrow against Grosjean and the Bryan Brothers ... :yeah:

Carlita
08-11-2005, 06:51 AM
:banana: well dooooooone little man :banana:

ataptc
08-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Great transcript as usual :lol: I just adore his english :)

Good job today! Vamos! Thursday's OOP is finally out. He's third on centre court and his doubles match is last on court bn

ragazza
08-11-2005, 11:45 AM
geez! @ what time he played?! i have to watch replays now... :(:(:( but good that he won his game(well i think that every1 was sure abb the win...)

Iza
08-11-2005, 12:14 PM
I just love that interview :kiss: :hug: i can only imagine how sweet it was :lol:

Yaaaaaay Rafa for beating Mello :woohoo:
Now at least he doesn't have to play Richie so I know who to cheer for ;)
Vamos :rocker2:

freesbee
08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
isn't his english just the cutest you've ever seen? *melts*

good job rafa :yeah: :woohoo:

Saumon
08-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Rogers Cup - Interviews

R. NADAL /R. Mello

6‑1, 6‑2

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. It was hard to believe that you nearly lost to him last time. What was so different this time? Was it because it was a different surface? Were you very different?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is different situation of the year, no? In Brazil, I was playing good, but I don't have this confidence, no? And he play in his country. He was play very good match. I don't play the same. I play a lot of better today, so much better today. And, I don't know, I remember this match, lot of public support him.

I think today is all different. I think I improve in my game, no?

Q. You're improving confidence and also getting better on the faster surfaces?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I don't play bad in fast. In indoor, I don't have a good results. But in hard court, I was play good in Australia, fourth round; in Miami, final. That's a very good result, no? If I am playing well, I can play good in this surface.

Q. How often have you played under lights? Do you mind playing under lights?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I play lot of times in night. No, yesterday is a little bit difficult in the doubles. I don't see very well. But I think yesterday because I am a little bit tired. Today I feel better. Is different situation. Yesterday I play very tough match single. Today the single is different. The light is very good.

Q. A lot of players have talked about adjusting to the fast court and the balls. Did you find it more comfortable today than the last round?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I think is a little bit fast, the court. Is a little bit fast than Miami and Indian Wells. US Open, too, I think is a little fast this one.

But we can play on this court, no? I feel good. I am playing good. I was practicing very well the first days here. I play a very tough match yesterday, a good match. That's important for my confidence. Today, I play with a lot of confidence. All the time a lot of concentrating, no?

Q. When you played Carlos yesterday, you said your personality didn't really come out. Did it come out tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I think is normal.

Q. You seem like you are more relaxed.

RAFAEL NADAL: I win a little bit 6‑1, 6‑2.

Q. Andy Roddick said it was important to play with the same balls in each tournament leading up to a Grand Slam. I think possibly Andre Agassi agrees, although he didn't say so. Greg Rusedski said a players union should be formed.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, because in the US Open I think we play with Wilson. But in all Masters Series, I think ATP have contract with sponsor is Penn, so we play all Masters Series with the same, PennATP. So we know that.

Before the Grand Slam, before the US Open, I think we have New Haven. New Haven I think is the same balls maybe, is Wilson. In the Masters Series, we always play with Penn. I think is better play with the same ball, but that's what it is.

Q. But it doesn't always happen. Last week they played with a different ball from this week.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, but that's the life. We play all year with different balls. I play in Bastad with one ball. I go to Stuttgart next week with different balls. We know that. We need to play with that.

Q. How do you control them, because you use so much spin?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Some balls is a little (changing to Spanish) ‑‑

ATP: Some balls are more favorable and suit some type of games better than others.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think the Penn is good ball for the topspin players.

Q. You're playing Grosjean next week. How do you feel about it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I know is very difficult match. He's a very good player. He play very good in this surface, no? This surface a little bit fast, and that's better for him. And he play a very, very good match for win, no?

But I going to try. Is very important match. If I get the victory, I stay in quarterfinal. Quarterfinal in Masters Series in hard is very good tournament for me, no? I hope play my best tomorrow, no? I know is very difficult match.

veyonce
08-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Rafa always like to end his sentence with a 'no'? Is that common for Spanish???

A delay in today's match till 1pm canada time.. going to get some sleep...

Jennay
08-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Awesome match, Rafa! :bounce: He's striking the ball amazingly. :)

nadalfan1
08-11-2005, 10:25 PM
VAMOS!!

R. Nadal def. S. Grosjean 6-4 6-4

YAY! On to the quarterfinals!

alexito
08-11-2005, 11:14 PM
yes rafaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
very good work because grosjean play very good.
may be next round, puerta, same final RG!!!!!!!!!

veyonce
08-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Saw this on Protennisfan:-

Nadal on Doubles

So after his three set defeat of Carlos Moya yesterday afternoon, Rafael Nadal spent the evening with Tommy Robredo playing doubles and defeating Yves Hrbaty and Dominik Hrbaty 7-6(3), 6-2 prompting some very rational reporter to ask Nadal why in the world he played so much doubles.

"First, I like doubles," he said. "Second, we have two weeks here in Montreal and Cincinnati, so if I lose in singles I can still play doubles. If I lose in singles, if I stay six days without competition, it's a little bit boring."

:worship: Rafa.... He's so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

linny28grace
08-12-2005, 03:31 AM
awww...even just reading what his says melts my heart

Björki
08-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Rogers Cup - Interviews

R. NADAL /S. Grosjean

6-4, 6-4

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: First question, please.

Q. How did it go? How was it playing in the afternoon after playing late last night? Was that a problem for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. For me, it's okay. I prefer play a little bit late. But it's okay. I think we have a lot of wind, a lot of wind, and the wind all the time change of direction. That's not easy for play good tennis.

But I think today I'm very happy because I win a very difficult match because I have in front a very good player and we have a little bit wind.

Q. In Paris you had a very tough match with Grosjean on clay. How do you compare today? Hard court, but you won in two sets. Is it as difficult?

RAFAEL NADAL: Today I think is very, very tough match. In the beginning, he have 1-0, 15-40. In the second set, he has breakpoint in the beginning I think, too. And I don't know, I think I have the break all the time in the third game. That's important for the confidence in the rest of the game.

I'm very happy because in this tournament I think I never lost my serve. That's new for me.

Q. The last time before this tournament you played hard court is in Miami ?

RAFAEL NADAL: No or yes? In hard court, yes. I play in Wimbledon , but...

Q. The adjustment to hard court seems to be going well for you. Were you surprised at all how well you've adjusted?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think the hard court is good. Is not a big change like the clay. Is a little bit, but not too much different. The change is a little, but I feel good. If I am playing good, I feel good in this court. If I am playing bad, I play bad here, in clay, all like this.

Q. How do you change to hard courts? Do you attack a little bit more?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I'm a little bit aggressive in hard court. But in clay, I can play a little bit more defensive. But when I am playing good, normally I play a little bit more aggressive. That's very important in my game, I think, because I need defense and after I need attack sometimes.

Q. Yesterday Andre Agassi said the year he won his first tournament you were one year old. Right now you two are on track to meet up. Can you talk about what it would be like to play Agassi in the final here?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know yet. I'm in fourth round, quarterfinal. We have a lot of travel --

ATP: A lot to go still.

RAFAEL NADAL: So for me, play the final here is unbelievable tournament. If I play against Andre Agassi , is unbelievable, too, no? I want to play against him because he is a legend of tennis. I never play with him before. For me, play against him is a new experience.

I hope play with him before he retires. I don't know when he retire because he's unbelievable, but I hope play before.

Q. You played three matches here. Do you think you have improved after each match?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think. Normally I improve in the tournament. But in this tournament, the first match is very good, I think. Moya play a great match. And I have good feelings. Yesterday for me I play very good match, too. And today is difficult match for the wind, but I am very happy for this victory. So I think I play good in different circumstances.

But I am playing good every day, so I am very happy for that. I was practicing very well the first days before the competition, before the tournament.

Q. What pleased you the most about your game today?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know.

Q. The dropshot?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, the dropshot, no (laughter). I only have two dropshots or three, but in the last game. I don't understand now.

I think I am lot of concentrated all time. I play good the breakpoints down all time. And sometimes I play little bit more aggressive with my forehand, and I'm happy for that, no? I am happy because win today is very, very important because is good round, stay in quarterfinal. Today I know I play against very good player in this surface especially.

Q. You are the top seed. At the start of the tournament you gave the impression you thought you might not be the favorite. Do you think you're the favorite to win the tournament now?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am the No. 1 in the tournament, but you know not always win the No. 1 in the tournament. So I am not the favorite.

I think all players stay in quarterfinals, all players we are playing good, we have chance all players. I don't think I am the favorite. We have Agassi is the most favorite for me.

Q. Agassi ?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think. He won a tournament two weeks before or last week, so he's playing good in this court. He's the favorite, I think. I hope play good tomorrow, and if I stay in semifinals, I have chance, of course.

Q. Do you have a goal for the rest of the year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Of course. My especially goal is finish the year in the No. 2. So I want to play good tournaments in hard because I never win a tournament in hard. I play good tournaments, but I want to continue for improving my game in these courts. And my especially goal is improve my game because I am young and I need improve every day. And about the ranking, about the results, is stay the No. 2 -- finish the No. 2.

Q. For you I guess it's important to prove to everybody you can win on hard courts?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, I don't think so, because I always play good in hard court. Is not new, play good tournament in hard court. I say every day I play good in Australia , I play good in Auckland two years before, I play the final. I play the final in Miami against Federer when I was two sets to zero and 4-1 in the third.

I know I can play good in these courts, but I want to play a good tournament for continue improving in my game.

Q. What is your take on Spaniards playing on hard courts? There's a generalization they're better-suited for clay. Do you think that might be a bit exaggerated?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, for me the Spanish player is playing good in hard, too, because is not too fast the hard. Ferrero played the final of US Open two years before. Moya played the final in Australia , I don't know, six years before. I don't know. I don't know yet. But Moya three years before won in Cincinnati . You know, we can play in these courts because we always -- (changing to Spanish ).

ATP: He knows that Spanish players do have that image of being clay-courters, but they also can do very well on hard.

RAFAEL NADAL: Robredo last year semifinals in Cincinnati I think is good results for Spanish players, so...

Q. Do you think Spanish players could adjust better to hard than Americans could to clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I think the Americans have a good level in clay, too. But Americans sometimes don't come to Europe for playing clay. So I think if the American players come to play all tournaments in clay court, he play Monte-Carlo , Rome , Hamburg and Paris , of course he has a very good level on clay. And the Spanish players, normally we play always Miami , Indian Wells , Montreal , Cincinnati .

I think if the American players going to play all time, all tournaments in clay, all important tournaments in clay, of course he can play very, very well.

veyonce
08-12-2005, 07:51 AM
His English is so adorable... Too bad the official website doesn't have videos of it!! :mad:

ataptc
08-12-2005, 09:23 AM
awww press conference for thursday's match was even cuter :hearts: :lol:

Saumon
08-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Q. Earlier today Rafael Nadal was saying he'd like to play you before you retire. Do you have any plans to retire soon?

ANDRE AGASSI: Yeah, I'd like to play him before he retires (smiling). I think that would be great to see him on the other side of the net before he retires.

:lol:

adelaide
08-12-2005, 07:36 PM
:lol: Agassi :lol:

Rafael just beat Puerta 6-3 6-1 :D :D :D next up is PHM who's having a great tourney. vamos!

ayena
08-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Vamos Rafa!! The last set didn't seems hard :rolleyes: Now we have to see how many troubles Paul will make to our dear boy :p

alexito
08-12-2005, 07:54 PM
rafa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you are ET
play perfect
I hope you will win montreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MariaV
08-12-2005, 08:27 PM
isn't his english just the cutest you've ever seen? *melts*

good job rafa :yeah: :woohoo:

Freya, his English IS the cutest I've ever seen. *melted already*

And GREAT match today! :D :yeah: Absolutely AWESOME! :yippee: :banana:

Hi all, besides being a Marat fan I'm totally a Rafa fan. He's the sweetest kid since Marat. :D

Saumon
08-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Freya, his English IS the cutest I've ever seen. *melted already*

And GREAT match today! :D :yeah: Absolutely AWESOME! :yippee: :banana:

Hi all, besides being a Marat fan I'm totally a Rafa fan. He's the sweetest kid since Marat. :D
I couldnt agree more! :p :hug:

Björki
08-12-2005, 11:16 PM
R. NADAL /M. Puerta

6-3 6-1

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Rafa has now held serve 42 consecutive games in the tournament. A career best. He also records his 63rd match win on the season. That's the most by any teenager since Andre Agassi who won 63 back in 1988.
Questions for Rafa.

Q. That was a fine performance. You're getting better and better as the tournament goes on. Do you feel that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I speak every day that I am playing well all the time in this tournament. I think today is very nice match. I enjoy a lot in the court. I play very, very well.
I feel a lot comfortable in the court. I think I am playing very, very well all matches in this week.

Q. Is that because you get used to the light, the balls, the conditions? Is that why you're improving?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I say I feel good every day here. I say when I arrive, I have good feelings every day with the court, with the balls, with all. I was practicing the first two days before the competition. I feel very well all the time here.

Q. With everything going so well for you recently, not only this week but all year, do you pinch yourself at night to make sure you're not dreaming?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Sometimes, you know -- last year I begin very well the year. I begin the year -- my ranking the last year, the 2004, I begin the year in 50. After two months, after three months, my ranking is 32. That's very well. I improving a lot. But after I have the injury for three months and a half, and after the injury I can't play good, I play very bad. Sometimes you go down and sometimes you are playing unbelievable.
I think all stay here, in the mentality, in the confidence (pointing to his head). I think I improving. I am improving. I improve a lot this year with some aspects in my game. I think I play more comfortable with more security in my serve. That's important because when I go to the return, I can play with more calm. That is a good improve for me.
This year I feel little bit more tough, more solid, more tough on court. I don't have lot of mistakes. Unforced errors a little bit always in the matches. That's another improve for me this year.

Q. A couple of days ago you mentioned that you wished you could play Andre Agassi before he retired. Yesterday said he hopes he can play you before you retire. What do you think?

RAFAEL NADAL: I hope. I hope he retire first before me. If I retired before him, I am totally injury (laughter). He have 35. I am 19. I don't know...
But I hope we will play. I would love play against Andre one final here. But I know, I always say for experience, every match is very difficult. I have very tough semifinal. Mathieu is playing unbelievable. He won Roddick the first round. He got a lot of confidence. In quarterfinal and in third round, Mathieu is playing unbelievable. He won 6-1, 6-2; 6-1, 6-2. These results -- (changing to Spanish).
ATP: Those results mean he's playing at an unbelievable level with a lot of confidence.

Q. How do you feel about the crowd, the fans here? How much does it help you that they seem to be behind you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I say in the interview in the court, in Montreal, I am very happy. I feel good with the people, the public, unbelievable with me, support me a lot. That's important for my game, no, because I feel a little bit more comfortable with the people, with the public. I want to say thank you very much for all, no?

Q. Do you like Montreal?

RAFAEL NADAL: For now I like a lot the club, the hotel, and the restaurant near from the hotel (smiling).
I play every day. I don't have so much time for visit the city. But I say when I was here the first day, if I lost, I go to visit the Montreal. But I am in semifinal. If I lose tomorrow, I can't, because I go to Cincinnati. I need to prepare Cincinnati.
I hope. I am young, I hope come here some times, no?

Q. This was the first time you played Puerta since the French Open final. Can you talk a little about the difference in that game versus this game.

RAFAEL NADAL: Is different moments. I don't know. The final of Grand Slam, my first final, his first final, that's another atmosphere. Is a little bit different because we have a lot of pression. I think I have more, more, more pression. I feel very nervous in the final, all tournament in Roland Garros. Here I have a little more confidence. In the French, I have confidence, but I have confidence with a lot of nervous. Here I have confidence, but not too much nervous -- the normal nervous.
Today, before the match, I speak with my coach. I know is a difficult match and I need move Puerta because if he's playing like the middle with his forehand, he play very tough, is very difficult, no? So I begin the match trying go move the Puerta, play my forehand with his backhand because he have unbelievable forehand. I think I have a perfect match today for that tactic.

Q. You haven't lost your serve this week. What makes your serve so effective?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Is my first time I am in semifinal and I don't lost the serve. That's good improve because, you know, the serve is not the best in my game. I am very happy for that. I think is not for the serve. Yes, of course, I am improve a little bit the serve, but I am playing very well with the serve. I change a lot the serve. I go slice or kick. That's important. And after the serve, I am playing good with my forehand and with my backhand, no?

Q. You try to change what you do, try not to hit the same serve all the time, try to move the serve around?

RAFAEL NADAL: Of course, I need change. If I don't serve at 212 kilometer, 210 kilometer, I need change.

Q. Is Tony here?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. Tony is with his family in Mallorca. He have holidays for Montreal, Cincinnati, because he travel with me a lot. He have three sons, small boys. He's staying at home. He come for US Open.

Q. Is it different when he is not here? Do you like when he's not here? Does it make it different?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's okay. Is not the determinant the coach. I am happy with Tony stay with me. It's okay. This week I am with the coach of Feliciano López, with Francisco Roig. I have a good feeling with him, a very good relation. I was with him? Sud America, Brazil, Buenos Aires, Acapulco. I have a very good relationship with him and he help me so much in my game, too, no?

Q. We noticed that you sign autographs with your right hand. Are you right-handed or left-handed?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I write with the right. I eat with the right. I am right for all, for all the right. For take, I don't know, forgive me (fake throwing his phone). Only play tennis with the left.

Q. Why is that?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Throwing his arms in the air.)
I don't know. When I was too much young, I play with two hands, the backhand like this, and the forehand like this (using two﷓handed for both). One day I need choose, and I play with the left. I don't know. In the football, I play with the left. I was play football at eight years old. I decide play with the left because...

Q. If you throw with the right, isn't it easier to serve with the right hand?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, sometimes I think that. But I don't know. (Speaking in Spanish.)
ATP: He said that may be the reason why his serve is not the greatest.
RAFAEL NADAL: Now I find the reason (smiling).

Q. What is your training regimen just before a Grand Slam, two weeks before? Do you like to play a tournament or do you like to train quietly with your coach and prepare for a Grand Slam?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. For me is not too much difference. In Australia I was playing tournament, I play in Auckland, I play in Doha, and I play very well in Australia. In the French, I stop, practice, come to the French for play the French. I stop two weeks. I play good, too. So I don't know. In Wimbledon, I don't play the week before and I don't play very good.
So, you know, is not -- for me is similar. This time I going to stop. I don't play in New Haven because I play two Masters Series before. Is too much. I stop one week. But if we have -- if we don't have two Masters Series now, I'm going to play the week before for prepare. I feel more confidence if I am playing. If I am playing matches, I feel a little more confidence.

Björki
08-12-2005, 11:18 PM
He is such a cutie :inlove:

adelaide
08-13-2005, 01:29 AM
lol we have finally uncovered the secret to his not-that-great serve :lol:
but 42 consecutive service games held? not bad ;)

GonzoFan
08-13-2005, 04:57 AM
:inlove:

veyonce
08-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Was a bit disappointed how the match turned out?? Thought it will be a tight match like the French Open.. Guess Rafa's improved tremendously since the French Open.. ;)

Mariano Puerta's comments on Rafa:

Roger Cups Website:

R. NADAL /M. Puerta

6-3 6-1

An interview with:

MARIANO PUERTA

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Mariano.

Q. It was fantastic entertainment. You did some good things. Could you have done anything different?

MARIANO PUERTA: (Translated from Spanish by ATP) He also enjoyed the match. Feels like he did a couple of good things. He just thought he faced a really good Nadal today. He was always far ahead.
He didn't really feel like he could do a whole lot more. Really felt being under him all the time.

Q. You played against Nadal in the French Open final. What was different today?

MARIANO PUERTA: (Translated from Spanish by ATP) He feels it was a lot easier for him to play on clay. He was probably not expecting Nadal to be as fast. Mariano thought he could have had more time to create his shots.
The court was fast. Nadal was just better today.

Q. What is the problem playing against Nadal? Is it only his speed or is it the spin?

MARIANO PUERTA: (Translated from Spanish by ATP) First of all, you're talking about a player that is probably going to be one of the best players of all time. When you are talking about a player at that level, he's pretty much going to do everything really good. Rafael, he defends really, really well. That makes it that much tougher to beat him.
Mariano also feels a lot of players are starting to feel that. It's just getting really hard to play against him.

Q. Meaning a lot of players are starting to feel that he's one of the best, has the potential to be one of the best players?

ATP: Yes, starting to really feel his game.

Q. Admittedly Nadal doesn't have a great serve, but he hasn't lost a service game this week. What is difficult about Nadal's serve?

MARIANO PUERTA: (Translated from Spanish by ATP) He doesn't have the fastest serve, but he places it really well. He handles both the slice and the spin really well. It's a serve that when it kicks, it really kicks, and it's hard to read. It makes it that much more difficult to break him and to attack the serve.
He also feels like it's the first time he played a left-hander this week, and that also made it a little bit more complicated.

veyonce
08-13-2005, 06:43 AM
FANS GAGA FOR RAFA
JACK TODD
The Gazette

Friday, August 12, 2005

The second-best male tennis player in the world is a left-handed Spanish teenager of somewhat more than medium height, moderate scruff and maximum charm.

He plays from somewhere so far behind the baseline that he has a separate postal code, possesses a serve that wouldn't crack a soft-boiled egg and can pack more excitement into 100 minutes of tennis than a baker's dozen of hard-serving lummoxes with cannon overhands and cannonballs for feet.

Rafael Nadal, the man they call "Rafa," the fist-pumping, ground-stroking phenom who has climbed from 51st to second in the world already this year, put on another display of grit, hustle and precision at the Jarry Tennis Centre yesterday in a 6-4, 6-4 win over Sebastien Grosjean that was equal parts finesse and fire. The two sets were a matched pair. In both, Nadal had to fight off a break point early, fought back on his own to win a break and then held steady until his final strut when, with Grosjean defeated, he lobbed a ball into the crowd, whipped off his headband and pranced off the court and into the quarterfinals.

High above, a cluster of hard-bitten and cynical journalists made a sacred bonfire of old John McEnroe racquets and prayed to the tennis gods: Let us have one dream final on Sunday, please. Nadal vs. Andre Agassi for all the marbles.

Roughly 16 hours after making short work of the Brazilian Ricardo Mello in Wednesday night's match, Nadal was back to make more converts yesterday, from the gaggle of young things in the cheap seats snapping away at him with their digital cameras to the greybeards in the pressbox ready to snap at him with their laptops.

If there was any danger of that, it vanished when Nadal's cellphone rang early during yesterday's session with the press; he picked it up, disposed of his caller with three quick words in what was either Italian or Spanish and a dismissive "ciao." No boorish NFL type Nadal, treating his questioners to a weight-lifting exhibition a la Terrell Owens. Just a lively kid whose English is not bad and will get better.

Nadal, who was one year old when Agassi won his first Tour tournament, said he would take delight in such a matchup: "If I play against Andre Agassi, is unbelievable, no? I want to play against him because he is a legend of tennis and I've never played him before. For me, play against him is a new experience. I hope to play him before he retires."

We hope he plays Agassi before next week.

Yesterday, in tough against Grosjean and tricky winds on a balmy but breezy afternoon, Nadal dipped into the Rafa sampler and offered up a variety of treats. Early on, there was the winner struck from 20 feet behind the baseline, tucked neatly behind Grosjean at the far corner. Leading 2-1 in the first set, Nadal charged the net (something he does rarely) and chipped a deft little shot at Grosjean's toes.

Leading 3-2, he polished off a brilliant, sustained volley with a delicate lob that sailed just over Grosjean's head and landed a palm's width inside the baseline with the delicacy of a hummingbird lighting in a birdbath.

From that point on, it was not at all difficult to imagine Nadal wearing a black beret and dangling a scarlet cape, toying with a particularly fast and dangerous bull. Grosjean can play Nadal's game and he can play it well - just not quite as well as Nadal. Grosjean had his moments, but at the end of most of their swashbuckling exchanges, it was Nadal who prevailed - sometimes with a well-aimed groundstroke from somewhere around Rivieres des Prairies, sometimes with a lob, at least twice with a drop shot.

With a serve that barely cracks 150 km/h, Nadal doesn't blow people away. He also doesn't give away points; he runs and runs and just when his opponent seems to have him pinned, he runs down one more ball and places it like a Chinese calligrapher executing an especially delicate brush stroke.

He was threatened yesterday, but not once in this tournament has he lost a service game; not to countryman Carlos Moya, not to Grosjean. Still, the toughest defence he put up all day might have been against persistent journalists trying to tell him that he's a clay-court specialist who can't play hard-court tennis.

"I think the hard court is good. Is not a big change like the clay. Is a little bit, but not too much different. The change is a little, but I feel good. If I am playing good, I feel good in this court. If I am playing bad, I play bad here, in clay, all like this."

Even after playing three fine matches here and despite his No. 1 seeding, Nadal insisted that he is not the favourite here. That, he said, would be Agassi.

First, Nadal has to get past today's match against Argentina's Mariano Puerta as he continues his world tour through this draw. His goal, he said yesterday, is to finish the year with his current No. 2 ranking.

From what we've seen here, Roger Federer might be feeling a tad nervous about that No. 1.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2005

__________________________________________________ _____

Nadal uses the present
jean-francois_chabot@radio-canada.ca

Aug. 12, 2005 – Rafael Nadal recognizes that he’s going through the most productive period of his young professional career. This exceptional athlete at the age of just 19 years old knows all too well that nothing lasts forever.

Does he sometimes pinch himself to make sure that he’s not dreaming?

“I can’t really explain the reasons of my success. It sometimes depends on just a few things. Last year, I started the season very well. I rapidly climbed from place 50 to 32 in the world ranking. But an injury forced me to abandon the game during three months. When all goes well, that often is because of your state of mind at the time. So, sure, I’m using that to my advantage at the present time.”

Thursday evening, André Agassi answered to Nadal’s declaration that he wants to play against him before he retires. Agassi replied that he’d like to play against Nadal before Rafael finally hangs up his tennis racquet.

Nadal smiled. “Sure, I’d be very happy to find him in front of me in the final here. Me too, I hope it’s before my retirement (sic)…After all, he’s 35 and I am 19. I would have to be totally injured (laughter in the press conference).

Nadal came back to reality quickly by reminding us that every match is important en that he has to take his match on Saturday against Paul-Henri Mathieu very seriously. “Mathieu is playing excellent tennis at the moment. He repeatedly won his matches with 6-1 and 6-2, indicating that he’s in full possession of his capabilities. I will have to be ready for him.

Left or right?

Left-hander in tennis, but right-hander for all the rest. That’s how Nadal describes himself when we ask him to explain his ambidexterity.

“When I started playing tennis, I played both my backhand and my forehand with two hands. I simply needed to make the choice. However, I write and I throw with my right hand. Maybe that’s why my serve is not as powerful as the ones of certain others.”

Nadal knows that he has to master every aspect of tennis to compensate for that first serve that rarely goes faster than 150 km/h. Judging by his results, one would give him maximum points already.

And Montreal?

Asked for his first impressions of Montreal, Nada humbly admits that he hasn’t yet had the time to discover its charms. “I have only seen the tennis court, my hotel and the restaurant of my hotel. And I will have to leave the city quickly to go to Cincinnati to prepare for the next Masters. But I hope to one day have the opportunity to come back in more relaxed circumstances.”

On the topic of the support of the crowd, Nadal admits that he likes the feeling of the enthusiasm he causes. “I always play my best tennis when I can feel the support of the crowd. That contributes to my energy and my style of game. It gives me confidence and that’s very important”.

He sure is one we’d love to see return in two years.

Saumon
08-13-2005, 12:00 PM
he is "the normal nervous" :lol: :kiss:

GonzoFan
08-13-2005, 12:19 PM
he is "the normal nervous" :lol: :kiss:

:lol: I love him ... he is so cute ... :hug: :hearts:

Jennay
08-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm so amazed at the level of Rafa's game on this quick surface. :worship: The match vs. Puerta left me :eek:ing! Vamos Rafa :yeah:

Saumon
08-13-2005, 06:23 PM
he already had good results on HC (ie AO and Miami)... that's not such a BIG surprise imho and he "speaks" it himself :p

alexito
08-13-2005, 10:18 PM
rafa is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in my opinion, rafa win easy tonight.

Saumon
08-14-2005, 01:35 AM
he just won :worship: :banana: :woohoo:
4th AMS final of the year
10th final of the year
:p

adelaide
08-14-2005, 02:01 AM
that match just killed me. it was one of the best matches I've seen this year :banana:

I applaud PHM for his performance :worship:
And Rafa too! :yeah: VAMOS RAFA! :D

oh and I am laughing at CBC Sports for thinking that Rafa defeated Gasquet in Hamburg final this year. :rolleyes: He didnt even go......................

veyonce
08-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Yeah.. But think the French Open Final was better...

If PHM played at his best, think it'll be a much closer match...

If Agassi gets to the Finals, it'll be a very anticipated match... Age Vs Experience...

adelaide
08-14-2005, 02:21 AM
see I wouldn't know. I only watched set 1 and match point of the French Open final...... :sad:

anyway, he was really cute in the post-match interview they did. They asked him why he keeps pulling at his socks and why he keeps his waterbottle right under the racquet :lol: he's got weird habits. :)

eddie_hyden
08-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Congrats RAFA!!

Forgive me but that was the first Nadal match I watched due to inconvenient timing...

He seemed to lost concentration or under pressure from the moment he was serving for the match at 5-4.

Any chance that was because he was thinking he'd meet Agassi if he got through one more game?? ;p

...ed

eddie_hyden
08-14-2005, 02:29 AM
see I wouldn't know. I only watched set 1 and match point of the French Open final...... :sad:

anyway, he was really cute in the post-match interview they did. They asked him why he keeps pulling at his socks and why he keeps his waterbottle right under the racquet :lol: he's got weird habits. :)

haha yeah, i just noticed that water bottle thing, how he in full concentration, balanced his racket over it, funny ;p

veyonce
08-14-2005, 02:33 AM

What was his reply?? Cos Star Sports never show those post-match interviews due to broadcast rights, I guess... :sad:

veyonce
08-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Nadal makes Rogers Cup final, one win from first hardcourt victory

MONTREAL (CP) - Clay court ace Rafael Nadal of Spain is one win away from his first ATP victory on a hardcourt. Nadal, the top seed, ousted unseeded Paul-Henri Mathieu of France 6-4, 7-5 on Saturday to advance to the final of the $2.45 million US Rogers Cup at Uniprix Stadium.

In the final on Sunday (2 p.m. EDT), he will face the winner of the second semifinal between veteran Andre Agassi of the United States and Montreal-born Greg Rusedski of Britain.

Nadal has climbed to No. 2 in the ATP rankings with eight tournament victories this year, including the French Open, but all were on slower clay courts.

The flashy 19-year-old reached the final of a hardcourt event in Miami in March, but lost in five sets to world No. 1 Roger Federer of Switzerland. Federer did not play the Rogers Cup due to an injury.

Against Mathieu, who had upset No. 3 Andy Roddick in the opening round, Nadal's most spectacular moment was on game point in the second set, when he lunged and chipped a backhand that fell behind the 23-year-old Frenchman to make it 2-2.

Mathieu made a string of unforced errors to give up his service in the next game.

But with Nadal serving for the match, Mathieu won four straight points to hand the Spaniard his loss in 52 service games of the tournament and tie the set 5-5. Mathieu handed it back the next game, double-faulting on game point, and Nadal served out the match.

It was Nadal's ATP-leading 64th match win of the season, the most by a teenager since Agassi won 63 in 1988.

The Phenomenon Nadal
Malorie Beauchemin
La Presse

Phenomenon, the word has fallen. The domination of Rafael Nadal this week is one without compromise. The wonderboy of Mallorca, in Spain is on an impressive trajectory.

This week, he sent his opponents to the dressing room one after the other, conceding almost nothing. In four matches, he has only lost one set in a tiebreak to the advantage of his compatriot and friend Carlos Moya. Even the number eight in the world ranking, the Argentinean Mariano Puerta, could do nothing against the power and precision of the 19-year old lefty.

These two men already met before in the final of the French Open in Roland Garros, just a few weeks ago. That match was tighter with Nadal winning in four sets. Yesterday however, Puerta didn’t have the slightest chance for revenge. Nadal quickly took charge in 72 minutes in two sets 6-3 and 6-1.

”I have played very well yesterday. I’m feeling good on the court. Everything happens in the head. Confidence. I think that I’m improving my level", said the Spaniard after his victory.

With each match he plays, Nadal seems to become stronger and stronger, more at ease on a very fast surface that is, in theory, not his speciality. But this week, he gives the impression of flying on these courts. He runs after every ball, even the impossible ones. He hits his shots with power and precision.

Even though he has the reputation of not having a very powerful serve, Nadal hasn’t lost one game on his own serve since the beginning of the tournament. Even his drop shots are spectacular: from the back of the court, he manages to outplay his opponents by placing the ball just on the other side of the net with a seldom seen precision.

Born in 1986, in a little village on the Island of Mallorca – where he still lives – Nadal, nicknamed Rafa, has turned pro in 2002 at the age of 15. This season, he has won eight tournaments – the same amount as the number one in the world, Roger Federer – and he has won 63 matches against 8 defeats. In april, he was still only ranked 31 in the world.

Despite his status of the number two in the world, he has kept his humility and honesty. “I am very calm, I don’t feel the pressure”, he said during a press conference in the beginning of the week. He will confront the Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu, one of the surprises of this tournament.

veyonce
08-14-2005, 02:40 AM
Rogers Cup website:

Nadal Reaches Final

August 13, 2005 - Top seed Rafael Nadal broke at 5-5 in the second set and closed out with his own serve to defeat Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-4, 7-5 and advanced to the final of the Rogers Cup on Saturday evening.

With the win, Nadal improves to 5-1 here and reaches his fourth Masters Series final this year (second on clay). He claimed the titles in Monte Carlo and Rome and lost in a thrilling five-set to World No. 1 Roger Federer.

Nadal was serving for the match at 5-4 but got broken at love to tie the set at 5-5. He recovered the break immediately and was nearly perfect on his own serve to close out the match in 1 hour, 49 minutes of play.

"I was a little bit nervous at the end, but I think is normal. The important thing is that I got the win against a player that has been playing very good. I'm very happy to be in my fourth Masters Series final." Nadal said.

adelaide
08-14-2005, 02:42 AM
What was his reply?? Cos Star Sports never show those post-match interviews due to broadcast rights, I guess... :sad:
about the socks: now that he wears longer pants, he has to wear shorter socks and he likes them to be as high as they can be (that's what I understood anyway lol) and the waterbottle, he said that's just a habit and said "It's just normal for me" *shrug* :)

Castafiore
08-14-2005, 03:18 AM
That sock pulling thing is a habit he has from playing football (soccer). One of his family members (don't remember which one) said so.

Football players tend to do that when they have to do a penalty or a corner or a free kick or something like that. It's just a trick used to take a couple of extra seconds to collect your thoughts, stay calm and stay focussed.

veyonce
08-14-2005, 07:36 AM
They didn't asked him about him pulling his pants habit?? :D Just like to hear what his reply will be.. Lol... Is there any way of seeing the post match interviews?? :sad:

I believe his habit of towelling also helps him to clear his thoughts and stay calm, focused.. It's just like our one of our Chinese beliefs wherein the sayings is a wipe is like a fresh start...

Can't wait for the finals... Have to stay up late and go to work with dark eye circles!!! ;)

veyonce
08-14-2005, 07:44 AM
Rogers Cup Website:

Top Seed Nadal Against No. 4 Seed Agassi in Blockbuster Final

August 14, 2005 - Top seed Rafael Nadal takes on No. 4 Andre Agassi for the first time Sunday in the final of the Rogers Masters. The 19-year-old Spaniard is appearing in his ATP-best 10th final of the season and he is looking to capture his ninth title, the first on hard courts.

If Nadal wins, he would match Mats Wilander's 1983 record for most titles by a teenager in a season. Nadal is 9-2 lifetime in finals with both of his losses coming on hard courts (2004 Auckland, l. to Hrbaty, 2005 Miami, l. to Federer in five sets). Nadal is also appearing in his fourth ATP Masters Series final of the season, having won titles in Monte Carlo and Rome while reaching the final in Miami. The last teenager to win the Canadian title was Michael Chang (18 years, 5 months) in 1990.

The 35-year-old Agassi is making his second straight ATP final appearance, having won his 60 th career title at the Mercedes-Benz Cup in Los Angeles two weeks ago. Agassi is 3-0 in Canadian finals, having won the title in 1992, '94-95. He is trying to become the oldest player to win this title in the Open Era, surpassing Ivan Lendl (30 years, 5 months), who won the title in 1989. Agassi is 60-28 lifetime in finals, including an all-time best 17-4 in ATP Masters Series finals. Agassi has won eight straight Masters Series finals since losing in 1998 Miami (l. to Rios).

The 16-year age differential between the two is the largest in an ATP final since 1979 Tel Aviv when Tom Okker (35) of the Netherlands defeated Per Hjertquist (19) of Sweden. Agassi is 2-2 lifetime against teenagers in finals with his last win over Marat Safin (19) at the ATP Masters Series Paris in 1999. His last loss came to Pete Sampras (19) in the 1990 US Open.

The winner of the best-of-three sets final receives 100 INDESIT ATP Race/US Open Series points and $400,000 while the runner-up collects 70 INDESIT ATP Race/US Open Series points and $200,000.

There will be several streaks on the line, including Nadal's 15-match winning streak since he lost a second round match at Wimbledon (l. to Gilles Muller) on June 23. No. 1 seeds in finals on the ATP circuit are undefeated (19-0) this year. In addition to Agassi's unbeaten mark in the last eight ATP Masters Series finals, the American brings in a 10-match winning streak.

Nadal leads the ATP circuit in match wins (64) and is co-title (8) leader (w/Federer). He holds a 64-8 match record, including 15-4 on hard courts. He has held serve 52 of 53 games this week with his career-best streak ending at 51 in the semifinals against Paul-Henri Mathieu. His 64 match wins is the most by a teenager since Boris Becker (69-13) in 1986.

GonzoFan
08-14-2005, 09:45 AM
I can't wait to see this final !!! I'm so nervous ...
C'MON RAFA !!!! you can beat Agassi !!! :yeah:

Björki
08-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Rogers Cup - Interviews

R. NADAL /P. Mathieu

6-4, 7-5

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Rafa will attempt to win his ATP best ninth title of the season, and is in his 10th final. He is also looking to win his third ATP Masters Series title of the season.

Questions for Rafa .

Q. Can you tell us what it was like to have your serve broken for the first time? Were you discouraged or did it give you more energy?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I was a little bit nervous in 5-4. Is the first time I am a little bit nervous in the tournament. Is normal, no? Is not normal don't lost the serve in the first four matches, so that's normal lose any serve.

Is not the best moment for lose the serve, but is normal. I'm a little bit nervous and I don't play tactic -- I don't play very bad tactic, the game (changing to Spanish).

ATP: The strategy.

Q. You were one set 5-4, why were you nervous?

RAFAEL NADAL: Why?

Q. Yes, with one set, 5-4, serve to come.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, of course, we have nervous always. I am playing for play the final of one Masters Series . So that's very important for me and for all player. Is normal I am nervous, I think.

Q. Was your shoulder okay at the end or was it a little bit hurting? Seems like the serve was a little less hard.

RAFAEL NADAL: Today I think I play a little bit better, serve a little bit better.

Q. At the end of the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, in the end of the match, for the nervous, not for the shoulder (laughter). The shoulder is very good now, too.

Q. What do you think about Mathieu today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Mathieu , I think he play -- he's playing well. He play unbelievable all tournament. He won the first round against Andy Roddick . I watch the match. It's unbelievable. And after he won in quarterfinal and third round very easy 6-1, 6-2 for the reason he's playing a very good level.

So today, I don't know, I think he play a good match. He play a tough match. Sometime he play a lot of concentrated all time for the victory. He has the miss in the 5-5 in the second set, two double-faults. But this moment I think is the worst in the match for him because he come back, he break me, and normally he stay with confidence. I think I play well, I play well this game, I am a lot of concentrated in that game because I want to do the break another time. But he have two double-faults.

Q. You think you played your best tennis of the week today or not?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think. My best tennis?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think yesterday, and against Mello . Today a little bit different because he's playing well. I know when the others is playing well, is not easy play good. But I am happy with the match because I win a very good player, and he's playing good this week. That's the important. But I think is not the best match in the week.

Q. You said earlier this the week you were looking forward to an opportunity to play Andre Agassi . You've done your part. Andre is a match away. Can you think about that match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, if I play against Agassi , I am very happy because I play against one of the best players in the history. But if I play against Greg Rusedski , I am very happy, too, because I'm going to play my fourth final in Masters Series this year. I want to play against the player he play the worst. That's the best for me (smiling).

But I prefer win Agassi than Greg , no, because is one opportunity for me play against one of the legends of the tennis before he retire, not before me retire.

Q. Could I ask you a question about the Davis Cup . We're so used to Spain being dominant in the Davis Cup , and this year it's different. Do you think people in Spain feel there's something missing now because Spain is not doing well in the Davis Cup ?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think nothing about that because you know the Davis Cup is always difficult. If we play outside, we play in one surface. We play in Slovakia with ice. Is unbelievable surface. I never play in this surface. The ITF say the rules say for play for the surface is stay -- (switching to Spanish ).

ATP: For the surface to be under the rules.

RAFAEL NADAL: We must play three tournaments in the year. In Slovakia , we play in one surface we never play. So ITF is not good here. But, you know, that's the tennis. If we play outside, normally we have problems about that. But that the life.

Q. Do you feel a feeling about how the people of Spain think about it?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think so. Last year we won the Davis Cup . That's unbelievable for any country. For Spain , the second Davis Cup . And we hope win the next confrontation against Italy in Italy . We know we have a very tough confrontation. But we hope win that and the next year try come back and try have a good result.

Q. You mentioned Agassi was a legend in the game. When you were growing up, was he someone that you looked up to?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. (changing to Spanish.)

ATP: Yeah, he's never had any idols. He knew he was a great player. He would watch him on TV. That's about it.

Q. The crowd clearly like you a lot. Does that give you energy when you're playing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, of course. The public is unbelievable with me, support me a lot all the time in this week, and that's very important for me because when I have a little bit bad moment, the public come stay with me, and that's important for the confidence, for feel comfortable in the court. And I want to say thank you very much the people of Montreal because I feel very, very well when I go to the court - and we go outside, too. But when I go to the court, I'm very happy with the public.

Thank you. Sorry for the English , but is improve.

Saumon
08-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Thank you. Sorry for the English , but is improve.
:kiss: :hug:

veyonce
08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
The audio files can be found:-

English: http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal6.wma

Spanish: http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal6_es.wma

lilfairyprincess
08-14-2005, 01:26 PM
good luck later today rafa!!!! :)

eddie_hyden
08-14-2005, 02:51 PM
the dream match for me (..and apparently rafa's too)

hope he nails it. i watched agassi-rusedski match just now, and i couldn't help thinking 'rafa can handle that..' everytime agassi hits the ball, lol...

good day everyone!

...ed

alexito
08-14-2005, 04:46 PM
I hope will win rafa, but I like andre too. whatever, I happy with this tournament, because no play federer. cincinatti bored again with federer.

Volcanic Tennis
08-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I thought I'd share my Rafael Nadal experience in Montreal, sparing all of you of the rest of my day :) I went Monday & Wednesday, but the experience happened on Wednesday.

I had been walking around the practice courts, and saw the man write Rafael would practice on Court 4 at 5:30. So I was determined to get a good seat at 5 to see him :)

Unfortunately it rained, and with every passing moment, I was sure he wouldn't come to practice. I was going to go to Court 1 at 8ish to watch whoever was playing, eating a yogurt as I walked. I saw a cart with eight ballboys on it and a blue blob in the middle. I was trying to think of who it could be, when I figured out it was him! So I threw my yogurt out and ran after the cart (I'm nerdy like that :) ).

Sure enough, he was practicing! There was barely anyone (okay, about twenty people, but not as bad as when I saw Andy Roddick) because of the rain delay. He hit balls for like 30 minutes, and it was great to watch him.

He left the court without giving any autographs (not that it really bugged me, but I saw a few disappointed girls) but I stood at the fence and when he passed, I was an arm's distant away from one of my heroes! It was a great feeling :)

He's very hot :) In person, he's a lot bigger and bulkier than I thought he'd be. Really a cutie! I got to see him play that night as well.

Carlita
08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
:bounce: OH MY CARLOS! He won!!!!! :bounce: 6-3 4-6 6-2

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0048.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0048.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0048.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0048.gifhttp://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0048.gif

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0039.gifBRAVO LITTLE MAN http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0039.gif

Iza
08-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Congratulations Rafa :aparty: :woohoo: :yeah: :bigclap: !!!!!!!!!!

Cris
08-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Bravo Rafael!!! :worship: :yippee: :dance:
Congrats to Rafa and all fans! :hug:

Jorge
08-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Amunt Mallorca! Visca Manacor! Felicitats Rafel!! :banana:

french-guru
08-14-2005, 10:43 PM
not knowing what to say I will express myself with smileys

:eek: :bounce: :clap2: :bigclap: :dance: :yeah: :woohoo: :yippee: :crazy: :banana: :rolls: :aparty: :speakles: :)

Leonandy
08-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Good Job,Rafa.Amazing game!!!

knight_ley
08-14-2005, 10:47 PM
:worship:

adelaide
08-14-2005, 10:52 PM
:banana: Rafa! :banana:

I'm so happy that he has a title on hardcourt :D Good prospects for USO!

and the interview was awesome. :D

alexito
08-14-2005, 11:32 PM
yes rafaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
great work, now in hard court
now, nadal 1 GS 3 MS
federer 1 GS 3 MS
but, nadal win 9 title in this year federer 8
now I believe nadal can will win us open.

Scotso
08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
:worship:

Saumon
08-14-2005, 11:46 PM
alexito's english is as cute as rafa's :kiss:

Saumon
08-15-2005, 12:05 AM
oh my... http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2143364&postcount=25 are they upset or what? :scared: :rolleyes:

oneandonlyhsn
08-15-2005, 12:17 AM
oh my... http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2143364&postcount=25 are they upset or what? :scared: :rolleyes:

As a fan of both Rafa and Roger I think this is very dumb on your part, 1st you post something stupid on Feds forum and now this. Stop behaving like a teenger, or maybe you are one

Saumon
08-15-2005, 12:23 AM
aww come on! i will never be disrespectful to roger, he's a great champion and i respect him ALOT!
then if some people cant get irony, what can i do?? :confused: we cant be 100% serious all the time!! or maybe that's the way fed's fans are... :unsure:
relax guys, that wont kill you! :p ;)

oneandonlyhsn
08-15-2005, 12:37 AM
aww come on! i will never be disrespectful to roger, he's a great champion and i respect him ALOT!
then if some people cant get irony, what can i do?? :confused: we cant be 100% serious all the time!! or maybe that's the way fed's fans are... :unsure:
relax guys, that wont kill you! :p ;)

Ofcourse I get irony, but I hate what is going on, the constant bashing of players especially Rogers personality sex life :rolleyes: . Most threads start as jokes and they get way too out of control, I have a lot of respect for all players especially Roger and Rafa because of their fight and love for teh game, because its not easy what they do. Safin :mad: on the other hand needs to start doing well again.

linny28grace
08-15-2005, 12:40 AM
The audio files can be found:-

English: http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal6.wma

Spanish: http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal6_es.wma
ahhh thanks so much for those! :D

linny28grace
08-15-2005, 12:45 AM
As a fan of both Rafa and Roger I think this is very dumb on your part, 1st you post something stupid on Feds forum and now this. Stop behaving like a teenger, or maybe you are one

wait...whats wrong with being a teenager?

adelaide
08-15-2005, 12:54 AM
oneandonlyhsn, there's nothing wrong with being a teenager....... but there is something wrong with being a teenie bopper. :p

Lottie09
08-15-2005, 12:54 AM
Can Rafa beat Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, or Federer on a hard court??? What do you guys think?

adelaide
08-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Right now Hewitt's not in his greatest form..... and although Rafael's record is really bad against Hewitt, he came pretty close the last match they played. So maybe. :)

And Andy... I can't say Rafael will win hands down, but I don't think Andy can bagel Rafael ever again ;)

oneandonlyhsn
08-15-2005, 01:02 AM
Can Rafa beat Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, or Federer on a hard court??? What do you guys think?

Sure he can, he has the game he just needs the confidence. I think his win in Montreal gave him that.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with being a teenager just dont be an annoying brat is all I'm saying

Jennay
08-15-2005, 01:32 AM
Amazing match! Felicidades, Rafa. :) :bounce:

veyonce
08-15-2005, 02:27 AM
Rogers Cup Website:

Nadal Wins Career First Hard Court Title in Montreal

August 14, 2005 - Spain's Rafael Nadal captured his first ever hard court title, defeating Andre Agassi 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 in the finals of the Rogers Cup – the Canadian stop on the Masters Series circuit – Sunday afternoon.

After a one hour and 58-minute battle, the 19-year-old Spaniard took home his 10 th career title – his ninth of the year (the most of all players this year), and his third Masters Series title, along with Monte Carlo and Rome. His third Masters Series title out of six this year allows him to join Switzerland's Roger Federer as a three-time 2005 Masters Series champion. He also reached the final on hard court in Miami, but bowed out to Federer in three close sets.

Alternating between powerful forehands and winning drop shots, Nadal was the stronger and certainly the faster of the two players, returning shots that everyone, including Agassi, thought were winners. The youngster took hold of the match in the third and final set when he broke the American's serve twice in a row.

“Now I know I can play on hard court,” said Nadal. “That gives me confidence going into the US Open.”

The Spaniard explained his match in the following manner: “I controlled play in the first set. He let me play my game. After the rain delay, he changed his strategy and played his backhand against mine, which got to me. In the last set, he started strong, but I managed to win the points.”

When asked if he thought he could win the US Open, Nadal was cautious. “I don't think like that,” he said. “I go match to match. It's only once I get to the semifinals that I start to hope.”

After the match, Agassi didn't even seem close to announcing his retirement. In fact, it was quite the opposite. In front of the Montreal crowd, he said “I'll see you in two years,” much to the delight of the public.

In the post-match press conference, the 35-year-old American paid homage to his young opponent. “His placement on court is so good,” he said. “In general, even if fast players who run down shots put them back into play weakly, but he's capable of sending back unstoppable shots.”

The match was interrupted by rain at the end of the first set and it was Agassi who came out stronger once play resumed. “It's normal,” he said. “I've never played against him. After the rain, I had a better idea of what to expect.”

He added to the words he said to the crowd immediately following the match. “I'll definitely come back to Montreal in two years, but it could be just to visit the city,” he smiled.

Visibly emotional after winning his first title on hard court, Nadal emphasized the unconditional support he had from the crowd all week long. “Even during the hard times, you supported me and that's really important to me,” he said, after receiving the winning cheque for $400,000 US. The finalist will have to make due with… $200,000 US.

Participating in his 22nd Masters Series final, Agassi wasn't able to bring home his 18 th title or capture his fourth Canadian Open title.

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Aww! Rafael is such a cutie! "Even during the hard times, you supported me and that's really important to me." ^^ I love him! Thanks for the article Veyonce! (cool name btw!)

I'm really gonna cheer for Rafa at the US Open! Hopefully he'll be able to get far... :) I'm really happy I saw him play in person, it's very impressive to see him play tennis! ^^

He's definately someone I look up to... to think I was a few feet away from him last wednesday o_o

noodles24
08-15-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but here's the press conference after the match. :)

2005 ROGERS MASTERS
MONTREAL, QUEBEC

August 14, 2005

R. NADAL/A. Agassi
6-3, 4-6, 6-2

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Rafa wins his ATP best ninth tournament title of the season. Also the first teenager to win nine titles in a season since Mats Wilander won nine back in 1983. It was also his third ATP Masters Series title this season. Questions for Rafa.

Q. How important is it to win your first hard court tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's very important. I know I can play good in hard because I have some good scores this year. But for me win here is very, very nice. I get confidence now. I hope play the same level the next weeks because that's very good for the confidence for the US Open especially. No, I am very happy because I say before come here my goal is win any tournament in hard this year. I have that in the first, no?

Q. If you can win a Masters on hard, can you win a Grand Slam on hard?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't like speak about that because I know if I am playing good, I have a little bit chance. But I always say, I always want to think about the first round. If I win the first round, the second round. If I win the second, the third. If I stay in one semifinal of Grand Slam, I can think about the victories. But for arrive to a semifinal, this round is very large, so I need won a lot of matches. Of course, my goal for any year is win any tournament, any Grand Slam, in hard, too, no? But I always want to say I only hope -- I only think about the first rounds normally.

Q. Can you talk about playing against Agassi?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, today it was a very tough match for me. I think in the first set I have the control of the situation. I have very good feelings in the third because Andre is -- (switching to Spanish).

ATP: Rafa felt comfortable because Andre was not really putting too much pressure on him, and he was allowing him to play his game.

RAFAEL NADAL: But after, with the stop, with the rain stop, he come back and he change all the strategy in the game, no? He put his backhand on my backhand always. In the first set, he come to the backhand with my forehand, that's better for me. After he change, he put the backhand in my backhand, and I have problem. He play unbelievable aggressive. He surprise me in the second set. I can win the first four game games, but 5-4, he play a good game and he have break me and the second set is for him. In the third set, he begin with a lot of confidence. I am watching the match in court, and I say with me, "Is very difficult because he's playing with a lot of confidence. He's playing very tough, a lot of aggressive, and that's very difficult for me. I think I need to play a little more aggressive for trying, for try the victory. I do that. I play more aggressive, and that's -- for that reason I think I can change the situation.

Q. Were you having trouble with your shoes or with your feet?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, the shoes is totally broke.

Q. Broke?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, total. When I play in these courts, I have always the same way. I broke the shoes always.

Q. When you say it's broken, the soles were worn down, the bottoms?

ATP: Yeah, that's pretty much it. The insole just broke and ripped out.

Q. Would you say after losing the second set, the win was as much mental as physical for you because you'd never won on hard before?

RAFAEL NADAL: I always think all is mental because you have some points, some important points. Always in every match, you have important points. If you stay comfortable, if you stay tough mentally, you can do always these points. If you am feel good in these moments, if you think, "I don't going to win the point," normally you going to lose. So you need think about always, "I must do that for try, for try the victory." After you think that for trying that, no? I think I need play more aggressive and for victory I know I need play more aggressive.

Q. Did you feel the crowd as much behind you during the final as it was in the course of the week or did you feel it was more in favor of Andre?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, of course, the public stay with Andre. Is normal. I understand for sure because he play here all times, a lot of times. He's one of the best in the history. He's an idol in all sides. I know that. But every time in this week, the public support me a lot. And today support me, but normally a little bit more Andre, no (smiling)?

Q. How much do you think age played a part in your win, the difference in your age? You're 19; he's 35.

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't know.

Q. You've played so much this year, you won so much this year, do you ever get mentally tired?

RAFAEL NADAL: I was tired after Rome, when I won in Rome, when I won the final in five hours against Coria, I was tired. After Roland Garros, when I won Roland Garros, a little bit down because I finish the first season of the year, and I play unbelievable. But after I don't play -- I play very well in Wimbledon the first round, and second round I don't feel a lot of concentration, I don't feel good. After that, I come back very well, no? I have one week stop, Bastad, one week stop, Stuttgart, one week and four days stop, and here. In the last month, I have tournament, stop, tournament, stop. Now I have tournament, tournament, stop (smiling). I feel good. I have a good feelings. I feel tough mentally. That's the most important thing, because if I feel tough mentally, I feel good physically, I feel good with the forehand, good with the backhand. If I don't feel good like here (pointing to his head), always is difficult. Always is difficult.

Q. You're in the midst of the greatest season for a teenager since Mats Wilander in 1983, the best ever. Do you go, "Wow, that's me"?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry, but I don't think about that. I don't like think about that because I want to say always the same. I always want to think about the next weeks. I know I am very happy because I win three Masters Series, one Grand Slam, five tournaments. That's unbelievable for me. But I can't think about that now. I want to think about that when I finish the year. Now I finish my goals, and I need improve every day for the next tournaments and for the next years. I can't think I playing unbelievable. I only want to think about improve and the next goals.

veyonce
08-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Aww! Rafael is such a cutie! "Even during the hard times, you supported me and that's really important to me." ^^ I love him! Thanks for the article Veyonce! (cool name btw!)

I'm really gonna cheer for Rafa at the US Open! Hopefully he'll be able to get far... :) I'm really happy I saw him play in person, it's very impressive to see him play tennis! ^^

He's definately someone I look up to... to think I was a few feet away from him last wednesday o_o

Hi Volcanic Tennis,

I like Beyonce Knowles.. So I coined the word veyonce which sounds similar to beyonce!!

You have seen him in person!!! Wish I could, don't think I'll have a chance though.. :sad:

Lottie09
08-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey noodles24,

Thanks for the interview! :wavey:

Is the quotation in your signature real? :confused:

soso
08-15-2005, 11:38 AM
What signs Rafa yeasterday on the camera ? thanks

freesbee
08-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Q. Were you having trouble with your shoes or with your feet?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, the shoes is totally broke.

Q. Broke?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, total. When I play in these courts, I have always the same way. I broke the shoes always.

Q. When you say it's broken, the soles were worn down, the bottoms?

ATP: Yeah, that's pretty much it. The insole just broke and ripped out.

:lol: :hug:

thanks for posting the interview :) he always makes me smile!

Lottie09
08-15-2005, 12:01 PM
What signs Rafa yeasterday on the camera ? thanks

That's what I was trying to figure out - I think it was a smiley face (poorly drawn) with "Rafael" written underneath. Anyone else have an idea? :wavey:

noodles24
08-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Hey noodles24,

Thanks for the interview! :wavey:

Is the quotation in your signature real? :confused:

No problem, I'm happy to share.

Hah, as crazy as it sounds :scratch: Marat did really say it. It was after his loss to Kiefer at Toronto and they asked him if he wanted to change his game.

Lottie09
08-15-2005, 12:25 PM
:eek: I think I at least once saw Rafa say "Come on!" instead of "Vamos!". Hmmm... is this right? Please say it isn't so. :sad: http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/Montreal_Final_05_c.jpg

RogiFan88
08-15-2005, 03:36 PM
He did indeed... being more international now. Congratulations, Rafa, on your first h/c TMS title! Wow, your 9th this year [and people say Roger is dominating the tour]. ;)

RogiFan88
08-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Just love that Rafa-English again. Before the tourney started he said that he gets practice in English every day at the press conferences!! Hey, his humour is improving in English also. ;)

veyonce
08-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Did Rafa said "Come on!"??? When??

Saumon
08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
:eek: I think I at least once saw Rafa say "Come on!" instead of "Vamos!". Hmmm... is this right? Please say it isn't so. :sad:
OMC he's becoming "hewitt-ish" :scared: :lol:

ataptc
08-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I like Beyonce Knowles.. So I coined the word veyonce which sounds similar to beyonce!!
:cool: cool! Is that your name though, or just a nickname? Still, it's nice :)

Saumon
08-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Q. You've played so much this year, you won so much this year, do you ever get mentally tired?

RAFAEL NADAL: I was tired after Rome, when I won in Rome, when I won the final in five hours against Coria, I was tired. After Roland Garros, when I won Roland Garros, a little bit down because I finish the first season of the year, and I play unbelievable.
But after I don't play -- I play very well in Wimbledon the first round, and second round I don't feel a lot of concentration, I don't feel good. After that, I come back very well, no? I have one week stop, Bastad, one week stop, Stuttgart, one week and four days stop, and here. In the last month, I have tournament, stop, tournament, stop. Now I have tournament, tournament, stop (smiling).

Is that a telegramm or something?? :lol: :p

Lenka
08-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Congrats to the first title on the hardcourt!!!!!!!!!!!
:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Volcanic Tennis
08-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah, Veyonce's an awesome name! I saw Nadal last Wednesday. I love being able to go to the TMS Montreal every year... I only started "really" going this year though. I posted about my "experience" with Nadal on page 8, I think. Maybe page 7. I dono. It was right before Nadal won the title, hehehe :D

Nadal is funny in his interviews ^^

mistry
08-15-2005, 10:02 PM
i took this picture yesterday when Rafa won. i went to get it developed right away... and got him to sign it.
its really cool.. i love it.

mistry
08-16-2005, 12:58 AM
me and rafa

adelaide
08-16-2005, 01:13 AM
wow you're so skilled... how did you approach him? :/

Volcanic Tennis
08-16-2005, 01:32 AM
Mistry knows the ropes!

I know where you were standing - right by the entrance, right? - but I'd be so shy, I couldn't even speak audibly to ask them for a picture or an autograph! LOL

Mimi
08-16-2005, 03:25 AM
oh my god, mistry, you are so lucky :D. I am very happy for you, i never had a photo with tennis players :(

me and rafa

veyonce
08-16-2005, 03:49 AM
To ataptc & Volcanic Tennis,

Veyonce's just my nick on forums... Hee...

veyonce
08-16-2005, 03:52 AM
me and rafa

You waited for him?? You are so lucky!!!

veyonce
08-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Excerpts from Andre Agassi's interview. The post-match interview is more of like a Andre Agassi's comments on Rafa... Cos about 90% of the interview is about his views on Rafa!!!!!! ;)

Rogers Cup - Interviews

R. NADAL /A. Agassi

6-3, 4-6, 6-2

An interview with:

ANDRE AGASSI

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Andre.

Q. You said you'd have the best seat in the house. I'm curious as to your impressions of the young man.

ANDRE AGASSI: Well, he has a difficult game. It's certainly easy to see why he's won so many matches. He does a lot of things really well. Just a great mover on the court. Gets good power from very stretched positions so you're never quite sure if you have complete control of the point.

I found his serve more awkward than I was anticipating because if you don't hit a good return, he immediately gets on the offense. That's a sign of a great player: somebody who can play good defense, but also when they get ahold of a point, they don't let go of it. He's one of those guys that if he gets ahold of a point, he's not going to let go of it. It puts more pressure on you to hit a quality return, and it moves a little bit. I felt like today that was a big difference. I wasn't getting neutral enough right off his serve. That surprised me a little bit.

Q. Did your game plan change at all after the rain delay? Looked like in the second set you were maybe coming into the net a little more.

ANDRE AGASSI: I think it was a product of just playing a set against him. I mean, we never even hit balls together. So you haven't even felt what his ball does, let alone what his best shots are. And after the rain delay, I certainly had a good feel for what his ball was going to do, which allowed me to be a little bit more convicted on my shots.
Yeah, so it changed a little bit.

Q. We know you like to take the ball pretty early. It looked like you were a little bit closer up to the baseline at the start of the match on Nadal's serve, a little bit further back towards the end. Is that a good assessment?

ANDRE AGASSI: Yeah, that is a good assessment. That was the case. I thought -- you know, you watch him on TV, it looks like he just rolls that serve in. It looks like you should be able to hit it pretty effectively. But it is a lefty action with sort of a slice sometimes kick to it. So the ball's moving around a bit. If you don't hit it square, you leave anything hanging, and that's where he's really dangerous.

So it's not so much that you can't stand up on the serve as much as if you don't hit it perfectly, you're going to pay for that. And I felt like I wasn't getting into enough points on his serve, so I drifted back to give myself a chance just to hit a quality cut and get into the point, which turned out to be pretty necessary.

You know, the ball's jumping out there. The way he hits it, it's even jumping that much more.

Q. He broke your serve I think twice in that third set. Obviously, that's somewhere you don't want to go.

ANDRE AGASSI: Yeah, the 3-1 game, I mean, that's the game that I sort of consider to be the worst game of the match for me. We had a long first point for me to go up 15-Love. He took a lot of time to recover from that point when I was waiting to serve. I was trying to get Lars to tell him he has to play at my pace. So I lost concentration there a little bit.

Immediately threw a double?fault in, then I made a quick error. All of a sudden, after a long point I won with him sort of breathing hard, he had 50 seconds in between those two points alone to recover, and I was serving 15-30. You know, I get it back to 30-40 and dump a forehand I never should have missed.

That game was the nail in the coffin.

Q. Would you like to see that enforced more from the chair umpires, considering you seem to keep yourself in such good shape on the tour?

ANDRE AGASSI: I got to believe he knows the rules. I was always under the impression that you sort of have to play to the server's pace. Rafael is very a practical, calculated, sort of methodical player. He takes his time. It's great to see somebody have that sense about themselves at such a young age, where they take their time and they execute. He should have the right to do that. But there's also a need to play to the server's pace.

I'm not sure where the subtleties fall on that particular rule. I just felt like if the server can play at a certain pace, so can the returner. That's certainly what I've always tried to hold myself to. But we might be splitting hairs there when it comes to how that's interpreted.

Q. Can you compare him to other players in terms of his quickness?

ANDRE AGASSI: You know, there's so many different ways to assess speed. You got guys that are tremendously fast, but they only use their speed defensively, then you really don't care about how fast they are because they're only going to have to run more. You got other guys that can use their speed offensively, but if you get them on the defense they can't hurt you on the stretch, so you can take a point over early and they can be fast but never turn a point around.

Nadal has the ability to run as fast as the best of 'em, but on the stretch actually hurt you. You know, he can transition those points into offense. That makes you sort of walk on egg shells. He draws out errors that I think normally you wouldn't make against any other player, which is a credit to the way he plays the game.

Q. When you came in on the Pro Tour 17, 18 years ago, they nicknamed you "the kid." Do you see yourself in this new kid on the block?

ANDRE AGASSI: No, I don't see myself. He's a unique person to himself. I mean, everybody is.

veyonce
08-16-2005, 03:59 AM
And finally, a dosage of Rafa-English audio interviews... Too bad they don't have it in video formats... :mad:

Thursday, 11 August 2005

Rafael Nadal d. S. Grosjean (Espanol) 6-4 6-4
http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal4_es.wma

Rafael Nadal d. S. Grosjean (English) 6-4 6-4
http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal4_1.wma

Rafael Nadal d. S. Grosjean (English) 6-4 6-4
http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal4.wma

Friday, August 12, 2005

Rafael Nadal d. M. Puerta (English) 6-3 6-1
http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal5-1.wma

Rafael Nadal d. M. Puerta (Espanol) 6-3 6-1
http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal5_es-1.wma

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Rafael Nadal d. A. Agassi (English) 6-3 4-6 6-2
http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal7-1.wma

Rafael Nadal d. A. Agassi (Espanol) 6-3 4-6 6-2
http://wm.atptennis-global.speedera.net/wm.atptennis-global/nadal_montreal7_es-1.wma

mistry
08-16-2005, 04:17 AM
the picture i took with rafa. was actually earlier in the week.. and it was really early in the moring.. so there wern't many fans there yet..
he was really nice to take pic with me.
he's really shy though

oneandonlyhsn
08-16-2005, 04:40 AM
me and rafa

You are so lucky I'm jealous :mad:

Volcanic Tennis
08-16-2005, 04:43 AM
Yeah, he is (shy) :) I really love him though... He's so good, but he's so normal! :) I can't wait for 2007. I'm taking no prisoners, I'm gonna see Nadal & Roddick in 2007 lol and I'll try to talk them... Working on my spanish :D lol

Mimi
08-16-2005, 05:19 AM
its a bit strange for me that all of you said he is shy, but he behaves so "fierce" and competitve on court , whats more, he is so famous and many eyes are on him, its not easy for me to handle right since he is shy :D

Castafiore
08-16-2005, 07:45 AM
me and rafa
That's a great picture! Thank you for sharing! :)

veyonce
08-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Well, we'll see whether he'll become more outspoken as the years goes by.... I'll prefer him to be shy rather than fake or snobbish... At least we know that it is his character. His shyness is one of his endearing points?? Lol.. Read that Feli's quite snobbish in person... Speaking of which, I wonder if he will have a model girlfriend like Ferrero, Feliciano and other spanish players.. :(

Think he puts on a different persona on court... His competitive and never-say-die nature mode will be on... :)

chocc0
08-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Hola everyone
Vamos Rafa
i haven't had access to the net in ages so i found out he won like 2 days after he won
so vamos!

RogiFan88
08-22-2005, 10:14 PM
i took this picture yesterday when Rafa won. i went to get it developed right away... and got him to sign it.
its really cool.. i love it.

Very nice, mistry -- lovely pic of you and Rafa too! :angel: ;)

Certainly was NADALMANIA in Montreal, wasn't it?! It was loco! ;)