Get rid of it/Bring it back [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Get rid of it/Bring it back

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 12:51 PM
There is a popular Australian Football show on the radio on Saturday mornings, which features a segment where they talk about which new aspects of the game have changed it for the worse, and which old aspects of the game should be brought back.

I thought it would be interesting to create a thread about tennis based on that idea.

Here is an example:

Sleeveless tops - get rid of them!

Wooden rackets - bring them back!

1sun
08-05-2005, 02:32 PM
final set tiebreak in the us. clean that shit out.

*Ljubica*
08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
final set tiebreak in the us. clean that shit out.

Oh - how I agree with you on that one - definately get rid of that!

As for bring it back - let's see the guys in shorter shorts again ;)

NicoFan
08-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Okay hate every suggestion here so far...lol!

No to wooden racquets.

Love sleeveless tops - if the guy has the body to wear them.

Love final set tiebreaks in the US Open.

And short shorts - good grief, no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1sun
08-05-2005, 03:24 PM
:lol:

jtipson
08-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Yes please! Down with the big bags.

alfonsojose
08-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Oh - how I agree with you on that one - definately get rid of that!

Rainer, Gaudio, Cañas and the Duck with those Courier/Edberg early 90s .. :drool: :drool: :drool: :lick: :toothy:

its.like.that
08-06-2005, 09:37 AM
swedish women - bring them back

extra long bodied rackets - get rid of them

G O
08-06-2005, 10:47 AM
There is a popular Australian Football show on the radio on Saturday mornings, which features a segment where they talk about which new aspects of the game have changed it for the worse, and which old aspects of the game should be brought back.

I thought it would be interesting to create a thread about tennis based on that idea.

Here is an example:

Sleeveless tops - get rid of them!

Wooden rackets - bring them back!

Obviously not a tennis player.

its.like.that
08-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Obviously not a tennis player.

obviously thinks a lot before he posts.

its.like.that
08-20-2005, 03:11 AM
US Open Series rankings - GET RID OF THEM!!!!

The Pro
08-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Wooden raquets, NO.

US Open Tie Breaks, NO.

Sleeveless tops, Yes. As long as guys with fat arms like Mirnyi and Moya don't get to wear them. :D :bolt:

its.like.that
08-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Wooden raquets, NO.

US Open Tie Breaks, NO.

Sleeveless tops, Yes. As long as guys with fat arms like Mirnyi and Moya don't get to wear them. :D :bolt:

Mirnyi and Moya have fat arms? :confused:

The Pro
08-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Well, compare them with the guy in my avatar.

They lack definition. Ish.

Action Jackson
08-20-2005, 11:04 AM
3 days to play the 1st round at the US Open - get rid of that.

Neely
08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
3 days to play the 1st round at the US Open - get rid of that.
This occassionally happens in other tournaments as well, why is it so bad if it happens in a Grand Slam that is going 2 weeks? Because it's different from the other three?

Action Jackson
08-20-2005, 11:52 AM
This occassionally happens in other tournaments as well, why is it so bad if it happens in a Grand Slam that is going 2 weeks? Because it's different from the other three?

The only reason it happens at the other Slams is because of rain delays and only rain delays.

RG, AO and Wimbledon all 1st round matches are to be completed by Mon and Tuesday, rain permitting.

Action Jackson
08-20-2005, 11:53 AM
For the Aus Open - mens semis should be played on the same day and not like they are now.

nokidding
08-20-2005, 11:57 AM
no play at Wimbledon the first sunday : get rid of that, I dont care the players get some rest, I want tennis everyday

Neely
08-20-2005, 12:01 PM
The only reason it happens at the other Slams is because of rain delays and only rain delays.

RG, AO and Wimbledon all 1st round matches are to be completed by Mon and Tuesday, rain permitting.
When saying it can happen at other tournament also, I didn't intend to restrain that only to Grand Slam. Can happen without rain in every Mickey Mouse tournament.
(Or why, if I thought one of the other three Grand Slams uses three days to play the first round, why should I write later "because it's different from the other three?")

And also, still asking, do you have a reason that you don't like it?
(I don't mind it at all, because I get to see more first round matches when the action is spread over three days)

Action Jackson
08-20-2005, 12:09 PM
When saying it can happen at other tournament also, I didn't intend to restrain that only to Grand Slam. Can happen without rain in every Mickey Mouse tournament.
(Or why, if I thought one of the other three Grand Slams uses three days to play the first round, why should I write later "because it's different from the other three?")

Am I talking about MM events here? The only time 1st round goes on Wed is when the player has a won a tourney the week before.

And also, still asking, do you have a reason that you don't like it?
(I don't mind it at all, because I get to see more first round matches when the action is spread over three days)

It's shit scheduling and especially with the Super Saturday and it's easier to have it over the 2 days the early rounds, just in case of probs with delays like 2003 US Open which was problematic.

Neely
08-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Am I talking about MM events here?
Neither was I talking only about Grand Slams. I was saying, if a Wednesday can be a legitimate start for a player in a one week tournament, the more I don't mind it if it's a Grand Slam over two weeks and if it helps to get me see more first round matches on TV which you normally don't see because so many of them are all played on outside courts with no coverage.

Action Jackson
08-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Neither was I talking only about Grand Slams. I was saying, if a Wednesday can be a legitimate start for a player in a one week tournament, the more I don't mind it if it's a Grand Slam over two weeks and if it helps to get me see more first round matches on TV which you normally don't see because so many of them are all played on outside courts with no coverage.

That's the only reason a Wed start happens in a smaller event and doesn't happen at TMS events without byes, so the principle should be the same here and since when should TV networks solely have control over Slams, it has an influence, not the overriding one, then again that's why we have breakers in the 5th set at the US Open which is cheap.

Considering how many courts need to be used and the fact that both sexes are playing as well, the scheduling needs to be spot-on and prepared for rain delays or anything happening. If they used the logical pattern then the 2003 fiasco wouldn't have impacted as much as it did.

It's not about you seeing more matches.

Neely
08-20-2005, 12:46 PM
That's the only reason a Wed start happens in a smaller event and doesn't happen at TMS events without byes
of course it doesn't, because it would mean the winning players would be automatically required to play two matches a day.

Well, if it's raining the first days, I don't get to see more matches anyway.
However, I still don't see the Wednesday 1st round so bad and don't mind it. Rather the opposite, if it's not raining too much to influence the schedule.

Action Jackson
08-20-2005, 12:58 PM
of course it doesn't, because it would mean the winning players would be automatically required to play two matches a day.

What point are you trying to make with that statement?

Well, if it's raining the first days, I don't get to see more matches anyway.
However, I still don't see the Wednesday 1st round so bad and don't mind it. Rather the opposite, if it's not raining too much to influence the schedule.

Ok, so you think the fiasco of 2003 wasn't partly due to the fact of poor scheduling? They have to use the resources fully and spreading it over 3 days for a 1st round isn't doing this at all, just to satisfy the marketing of Super Saturday and US TV. The only reason the players put up with is for the lucrative financial rewards. I remember Edberg saying this in an interview and it makes sense.

The fact that they spread the quarters over two days is rubbish as well, but it helps prop up the womens side of the draw and the Slams aren't prepared to risk having an all womens QF day.

Unless there is rain, there isn't a need to start 1st round matches on a Wed, it creates a backlog of matches and players don't want to be sitting around doing nothing waiting for their 1st rounders on a Wed, when some of them are playing 2nd round matches on the same day.

TheBoiledEgg
08-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Get rid of Norm Chryst :devil:

Effka
08-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Bring back Marcelo Rios :sad:

Neely
08-20-2005, 01:27 PM
What point are you trying to make with that statement?
none, the same like you saying that Wednesday starts only happen in smaller tournaments and not in TMS without byes.

Ok, so you think the fiasco of 2003 wasn't partly due to the fact of poor scheduling?
yes, you say it, it was PART of the fiasco, how could you deny that.

and players don't want to be sitting around doing nothing waiting for their 1st rounders on a Wed, when some of them are playing 2nd round matches on the same day.
A valid point from players' perspective that I can agree with.

Beforehand
08-20-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't like the three day first rounds, because it means someone on the same side of the draw has a day more rest than someone else. It happens sometimes with a rain delay, I know, but I think it comes off as more fair when one whole side of the draw is scheduled to play, and then the other is scheduled to play the next day.

Oh, and I agree about the fifth set tiebreaks at the U.S. Open. It might be fun, but owing to the fact that it's a Grand Slam, it just seems wrong for it not to have that absolute hell of a final set.

pravda
08-20-2005, 02:40 PM

what more important? you to watch tennis on television? or players to have good schedule to give them best chance to win?

its.like.that
08-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Spring tournaments in Australia, bring them back.

its.like.that
08-22-2005, 06:02 AM
US Open ballkids - get rid of them

Action Jackson
08-22-2005, 07:27 AM
yes, you say it, it was PART of the fiasco, how could you deny that.

I am not the one denying it, but are you seriously saying that the poor scheduling wasn't a factor that was part of that fiasco in 2003?

Get rid of Norm Cryst.

megadeth
08-22-2005, 07:37 AM
the USO tiebreak in the final set is a reflection of the fast-paced way of thinking in America - i want this now, i don't care how.

e.g. fast food, instant stuff, etc.

get rid off: roofless wimbledons, race rankings, and us open series

bring back: the atp tour show (a weekly show summarizing each week's progress)

its.like.that
08-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Food at the US Open - Replace it!

according to the players :lol:

its.like.that
08-24-2005, 04:44 AM
claycourters winning matches on hardcourts - bring it back

Auscon
08-24-2005, 04:58 AM
white tennis balls, bring em back

it'd be cool to have maybe one tournament where the pro's have to compete with a wooden racquet

its.like.that
08-24-2005, 05:08 AM
men who know how to break strings - bring them back.

Angle Queen
08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
white tennis balls, bring em back

it'd be cool to have maybe one tournament where the pro's have to compete with a wooden racquet:yeah:

Serve-n-volleyers -- bring 'em back

Grunting players -- get rid of 'em

bad gambler
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
bring back grass courts in kooyong

lucashg
08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Yellow balls on clay courts - get rid of them. Most of the time, especially if it's a poor coverage of a small tournament, I can't see them properly. Especially if it's sunny and the court is all dry.

Serve & Volley players - bring them back. Not to be the vast majority of the players like it was decades ago, but it'd be better than to have only 3 s&v players seeded at the USO.

Over excited and bitchy behavior - get rid of that. It's becoming normal these days, I don't care about intensity all that much, just "shut up and play".

PaulieM
08-24-2005, 05:35 PM
bring back: the atp tour show (a weekly show summarizing each week's progress)
they still have that in the US. it's on every saturday i think.

Geniey2g
08-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Get rid of it:

-Ballkids throwing balls all over the court at US Open Series tournaments; this aint baseball!

-Overly long points on any surface other than clay

Seleshfan
08-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Get Rid Of it:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60461&stc=1

An Exorcism might work.

Mrs. B
08-24-2005, 09:32 PM
grunting on court: get rid of it!

its.like.that
08-25-2005, 04:09 AM
linesman who repeatedly make bad calls - take them off

alelysafina
08-25-2005, 05:13 AM
Short shorts need to come back!!! the men have the asses for it!
Sleeveless shirts need to stay, as long as roddick doesnt wear them...

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Super Saturday at the US Open get rid of it.

its.like.that
08-25-2005, 05:41 AM
American tournament directors - replace them too

its.like.that
09-01-2005, 05:56 AM
tie-break sets, get rid of them

its.like.that
09-01-2005, 06:15 AM
bad boys in tennis, bring them back

megadeth
09-01-2005, 06:28 AM
get rid of it - serena's 40,000 ear rings. who gives a fuck if she wears them when she plays? why is it supposed to be featured even? jeez!

revolution
09-01-2005, 01:23 PM
The clay events that aren't part of the actual clay season- get rid of them.
Bring back Mallorca for Valencia.

Action Jackson
09-01-2005, 01:26 PM
- Make the grass faster and the clay slower.

Action Jackson
09-01-2005, 01:28 PM
The clay events that aren't part of the actual clay season- get rid of them.
Bring back Mallorca for Valencia.

Most of those clay events that have been around a lot longer than the TMS events of Indian Wells and Miami, and the old events like Indianapolis and Washington for example were clay events.

revolution
09-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Most of those clay events that have been around a lot longer than the TMS events of Indian Wells and Miami, and the old events like Indianapolis and Washington for example were clay events.

True, but they are in the wrong place on the calendar.

Action Jackson
09-01-2005, 01:31 PM
True, but they are in the wrong place on the calendar.

Where is your whine about Indian Wells and Miami then, taking that line?

Sugar Kane
09-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Bring back Rafteeeeerrrrr :hysteric:

revolution
09-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Where is your whine about Indian Wells and Miami then, taking that line?

Well the big names play those events. There's no HC during clay season either, so why clay during HC season?

Action Jackson
09-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Well the big names play those events. There's no HC during clay season either, so why clay during HC season?

Ah! typical double standards, and enough big names play the summer clay events to keep them viable. You can't have it both ways.

Sugar Kane
09-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Get rid of the on-court bling-bling and make-up

revolution
09-01-2005, 01:55 PM
The double standards are those that blasted the Americans for missing Monte Carlo yet praised the clay courters for missing the grass season and also not playing any optional HC warm ups.

Action Jackson
09-01-2005, 02:00 PM
The double standards are those that blasted the Americans for missing Monte Carlo yet praised the clay courters for missing the grass season and also not playing any optional HC warm ups.

You still don't get it. Moya and Gaudio missed Wimbledon, does that mean every player who does better on clay missed it?

You seriously think that if the seasons weren't reversed, the same thing wouldn't happen?

Well once again I have to explain it, players who are ranked high enough shouldn't be missing TMS or Slams irrespective of surface, but don't let facts gets in the way.

It doesn't matter about playing optional HC events, when the main events are on that surface anyway.

revolution
09-01-2005, 02:02 PM
You still don't get it. Moya and Gaudio missed Wimbledon, does that mean every player who does better on clay missed it?

You seriously think that if the seasons weren't reversed, the same thing wouldn't happen?

Well once again I have to explain it, players who are ranked high enough shouldn't be missing TMS or Slams irrespective of surface, but don't let facts gets in the way.

It doesn't matter about playing optional HC events, when the main events are on that surface anyway.

The main events are on HC?

Does that mean Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg and RG aren't main events? :p

Action Jackson
09-01-2005, 02:03 PM
The main events are on HC?

Does that mean Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg and RG aren't? :p

2 Slams and 5 TMS events on hardcourts. Not enough evidence for you that there are enough major events on hardcourts.

revolution
09-01-2005, 02:05 PM
2 Slams and 5 TMS events on hardcourts. Not enough evidence for you that there are enough major events on hardcourts.

Thought only the Slams counted in your mind?

Action Jackson
09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Thought only the Slams counted in your mind?

Incorrect yet again, as I have said before when you were whining about too much claycourt tennis and didn't acknowledge the fact that there are too many events on hardcourt, no coincidence about the increase of injuries is there.

10 out of 14 major events are on faster surfaces. One on grass, one on carpet, four on clay, eight on a hardcourt. The results of Slams carry more importance, geez that's a radical thing for me to say.

revolution
09-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Clay is the most common surface on the tour (The MOST overall events), and the only one which has events during other surface seasons. This isn't right.

Action Jackson
09-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Clay is the most common surface on the tour (The MOST overall events), and the only one which has events during other surface seasons. This isn't right.

Only 5 optionals count and these can easily be made up on any surface except grass. There are plenty of HC tournaments to make up the 5 optionals as well , it's the major events that count and there is a clear domination in this or would you like me to explain it.

Well it could be argued the hardcourt season should end after the AO and not begin until after Wimbledon. So it's just as viable to play on hard or clay the same time for most of the season or do you want me to break it down for you again.

At the start of the year there aren't clay events and towards the end of the season there aren't any either, that in total would equal the amount of time between Valencia and RG.

Geniey2g
09-01-2005, 04:07 PM
get rid of it - serena's 40,000 ear rings. who gives a fuck if she wears them when she plays? why is it supposed to be featured even? jeez!
If you don't give a fuck, just...ignore it? :scratch:

its.like.that
09-01-2005, 04:24 PM
If you don't give a fuck, just...ignore it? :scratch:

settle down tiger, either make a contribution to the thread, or stay out of it.

there is no need to criticize valid contributions.

Geniey2g
09-01-2005, 04:40 PM
settle down tiger, either make a contribution to the thread, or stay out of it.

there is no need to criticize valid contributions.
If you read back a few pages, you will see I have already made a contribution to this thread.

So, settle down tiger.

its.like.that
09-01-2005, 04:45 PM
If you read back a few pages, you will see I have already made a contribution to this thread.

So, settle down tiger.

for my browser this is only the 2nd page of the thread.

you make too many assumptions.

Geniey2g
09-01-2005, 05:16 PM
for my browser this is only the 2nd page of the thread.

you make too many assumptions.
Then read page one.

its.like.that
09-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Get rid of it:

-Ballkids throwing balls all over the court at US Open Series tournaments; this aint baseball!

-Overly long points on any surface other than clay

thank you.

its.like.that
09-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Then read page one.

but it was page 2 for me by the way.

thanks anyhow.

Geniey2g
09-01-2005, 05:28 PM
but it was page 2 for me by the way.

thanks anyhow.
lol! That was so stupid :lol:

Gimme a hug! :hug:

its.like.that
09-01-2005, 05:34 PM
lol! That was so stupid :lol:

Gimme a hug! :hug:

:kiss:

its.like.that
10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Pimpim Johansson - time for him to come back, he's better than Ljubo indoors. This could have been a really good season for him.

:sad:

its.like.that
03-27-2006, 12:43 AM
HawkEye used in officating - Get rid of it

NATAS81
03-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Pimpim Johansson - time for him to come back, he's better than Ljubo indoors. This could have been a really good season for him.

:sad:
In due time.