Can someone explain seeding to me? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can someone explain seeding to me?

Sullyuk32
08-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey there guys :wavey:

I know this might sound really thick but i'm not 100% confident I know how seeding works i thought you could set the record straight for me......

Ok, whats the difference between being seeded and being ranked?, coz I remember Sharapova was seeded 13 but ranked 15 in the world when she won wimbledon. And how does the points thing work with determining their rank and seed. Please somebody fill me in so I can sleep at night! (only joking ;))

iliketennis
08-05-2005, 12:20 PM
The seedings are based purely on rankings. With Wimbledon being the only exception. Wimbledon have a seeding comittee who decide the seedings based on previous performances/results and other factors.

NicoFan
08-05-2005, 01:13 PM
It is based on ranking (entry list not race) - except as said Wimbledon who gets to make their own rules. For a regular tournament if Maria was ranked 15 but seeded 13, it was because two people ranked above her didn't play - who knows the reason why in Wimbledon.

What I'm get annoyed with (and right now very upset with) is that each tournament gets to decide the cut off point for where a player is ranked. Some tournaments, its a week before. Some tournaments, could be weeks before the tournament starts.

For example, one of my favorites, Fer Verdasco is currrently ranked #48. Yet for Cincy they are taking his ranking from when he was ranked #58 and therefore he is on a waiting list to get in even though by the time he gets to Cincy, he will have been ranked high enough to get in for two weeks.

Yet my favorite Nico Massu who has to defend his 400 Olympics points in Cincy is going to miss being seeded at the US Open if he can't defend them because the US Open takes the rankings from a week prior to the start of the event - which includes Cincy. I would love it if they took his ranking from weeks ago because he would be seeded at the US Open then.

Its typical tennis - each tournament gets to do their own thing. So the average fan is left scratching their head trying to figure out what is happening for each tournament.

If you only like the top ranked players - you never have to worry. But if you like someone outside of the top 20 - you constantly have to figure out for each tournament what the different rules are - are they in or out of this particular tournament, are they seeded or not seeded for this particular tournament.

And don't get me going on the wild cards - which is the stupidest thing that tennis has ever invented.

jtipson
08-05-2005, 01:38 PM
NicoFan, it's not really up to each tournament at all. The cut-off date for entries is always six weeks before the tournament starts, and they use the rankings list of that date to determine entries. They are allowed to have a certain number of qualifiers and wildcards plus other less usual entries - and then enough direct entries to fill the draw. It's all governed by rules.

As for the seeding, the seeding is based on the current ranking when they decide on the seeds/make the draw (except for Wimbledon which adds on a grasscourt weighting).

NicoFan
08-05-2005, 01:41 PM
NicoFan, it's not really up to each tournament at all. The cut-off date for entries is always six weeks before the tournament starts, and they use the rankings list of that date to determine entries. They are allowed to have a certain number of qualifiers and wildcards plus other less usual entries - and then enough direct entries to fill the draw. It's all governed by rules.

As for the seeding, the seeding is based on the current ranking when they decide on the seeds/make the draw (except for Wimbledon which adds on a grasscourt weighting).

Then how come the US Open cut off is one week prior? At least that's what I was told.

jtipson
08-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Then how come the US Open cut off is one week prior? At least that's why I was told.

The cut-off for entries is based on the rankings of six weeks before the tournament; the seedings are based on the rankings of one week before the tournament.

NicoFan
08-05-2005, 01:55 PM
The cut-off for entries is based on the rankings of six weeks before the tournament; the seedings are based on the rankings of one week before the tournament.

Thanks.

I hate the way tennis is run. I don't want to have to figure out all this stuff especially go back 6 weeks before to see if my guy can get in.

Why can't tennis be normal like other sports?

jtipson
08-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I have to agree that they could make some changes in this respect. Six weeks is a long time, so perhaps they could shorten it. But I think there does have to be a cut-off in advance so that tournaments and players can plan properly.

buddyholly
08-05-2005, 02:44 PM
I have to agree that they could make some changes in this respect. Six weeks is a long time, so perhaps they could shorten it. But I think there does have to be a cut-off in advance so that tournaments and players can plan properly.

Exactly. Things would not work if a player won a tournament on Sunday that took him above the cut-off for a tournament starting the next day.
Six weeks may seem a long time but when you think of travel plans, hotels etc. it is not too bad.

NicoFan
08-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Exactly. Things would not work if a player won a tournament on Sunday that took him above the cut-off for a tournament starting the next day.
Six weeks may seem a long time but when you think of travel plans, hotels etc. it is not too bad.

You can make travel events for all over the world with less than a week's notice = and make changes day off - players do it all the time depending on when they lose. You don't need 6 weeks - its ludicrous. A week, two weeks tops is all they need.

Tennis is still is run as if its in the stone ages. Time for them to get into the 21st century. Its a fast-paced changing world - they need to deal with it.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 06:53 AM
You can make travel events for all over the world with less than a week's notice = and make changes day off - players do it all the time depending on when they lose. You don't need 6 weeks - its ludicrous. A week, two weeks tops is all they need.

Tennis is still is run as if its in the stone ages. Time for them to get into the 21st century. Its a fast-paced changing world - they need to deal with it.

Would you be whining this much about it, if players you liked weren't effected and this scenario has happened to nearly everyone's favourite player.

Yes, tennis needs to improve some aspects for sure, but I have read some of your suggestion and the only one that would be of a better benefit is that a functioning online scoreboard is provided.

NicoFan
08-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Would you be whining this much about it, if players you liked weren't effected and this scenario has happened to nearly everyone's favourite player.

Yes, tennis needs to improve some aspects for sure, but I have read some of your suggestion and the only one that would be of a better benefit is that a functioning online scoreboard is provided.

Yes - I do care about my South American players and argue for things that will help them. Yes - I do care about my Spanish players who have talented players and who until Rafa came along were always ignored in favor of other European and American players.

You who always make yourself seem as if all you care about is the poor lower ranked player. Rewarding a player who has had a strong few weeks leading up to a major event like a Masters Series event by pulling the entry list cutoff closer to the event will help the lower ranked player - doesn't matter for a top ten player.

NicoFan
08-06-2005, 12:52 PM
And GWH - I'll make a deal with you - I'll stop whining and complaining about things in favor of my favorites, if you'll stop basing all your arguments on your obviously extreme dislike for the US. We've got the point...