Should Guga retire? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should Guga retire?

sawan66278
08-04-2005, 04:47 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: After two hip surgeries, it appears that Guga is finished. He is one of my all time favorite players, but I fear his two surgeries have effectively ended his career...much like Magnus Norman. Losing to Coria was the latest first round loss...what a shame...what do you think? Retire or challengers? I know that he will soon not receive wild cards and may have to start qualifying for tourneys... :sad:

Sjengster
08-04-2005, 04:51 PM
I think he'll be playing a while longer, but if he hasn't made much headway by this time next year he'll probably retire.

DanEd
08-04-2005, 05:02 PM
I do not think so. he should keep trying :) look at Mariano Puerta ;) Mariano is the best example of a great and difficult comeback

RebelNYC
08-04-2005, 05:20 PM
I feel terrible that injuries have taken away so much from Guga. He is such a good guy and a great talent. If I were him, I would retire, but that is easier said than done.
Perhaps he could somehow continue and improve, but it is so hard when the body fails
you.

*Ljubica*
08-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I think it's tragic that Guga is doing do badly - but if he still wants to compete and enjoys what he is doing then that is up to him. He shouldn't retire until he feels it is the right thing for him to do.

revolution
08-04-2005, 05:31 PM
No he shouldn't, if he's still enjoying competing why not? The guy is a legend and deserves better than to be ridiculed because his ranking has slipped so far, as some on here have done.
He's 288 in the world but just a couple of results on HC, because the points down there are so tight, could see him launch his way up.

Papakori
08-04-2005, 05:35 PM
No he shouldn't, if he's still enjoying competing why not?
Exactly, if he enjoys it he should keep competing :D

Truc
08-04-2005, 05:53 PM
What does he say about this?
As a fan you're certainly better informed than we are, I haven't read an interview of Guga for a while. Why doesn't he play a few challengers to get some wins under his belt? And is he completely painfree now?

sawan66278
08-04-2005, 06:56 PM
:sad: :sad: I think he should go the challenger route...he must get his confidence back...I will never forget 2001...where he was #1 for basically the whole year...made it to the quarters of the U.S. Open...and then got blasted by that loser Kafelnikov in the quarters...I think that match was the beginning of the end...he played too much hard court tennis up to the Open...and effectively destroyed his long term career...what a shame

superpinkone37
08-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Poor Guga. :hug:

I guess as long as he still enjoys competing, he should keep trying :shrug:

sawan66278
08-04-2005, 08:38 PM
The real question...is he really enjoying it? It really seems that over the last few years, he has had some real chances to get back into big time tennis...a win over #2 seed Safin at the U.S. Open, a win over Federer at the French last year...and then proceeded to choke in subsequent rounds...One only gets a certain amount of chances to comeback...I fear he has run out of the proverbial nine lives... :sad:

enqvistfan
08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
I really hope he won't retire, tennis needs players like him. He's a great player and can come back. It's always sad to see former top players in that situation due to injuries. And, he's not the only player who may end his carreer like that...

bad gambler
08-04-2005, 09:11 PM
he should play a full year next year, see how he goes before making a decision. But his form does look grim at the moment

ugotlobbed
08-04-2005, 09:25 PM
thats up to him really

sol
08-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Not really. However, he should play some challengers to be back.

Carito_90
08-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Don't say that :sad:
I know it might be true but... it's so unfair :(

sol
08-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Don't say that :sad:
I know it might be true but... it's so unfair :(

He's still yunger for that... He can play some challengers like Puerta did and go back in good shape....

sawan66278
08-05-2005, 01:17 AM
It's just so sad to see someone whom I truly believe, if healthy, would STILL be in the top two or three in the world...The man may have had the most deadly one-handed backhand in history...Nadal would probably have to have waited to be the King of Roland Garros...and who knows, maybe there would have been a hard court grand slam too...As they say, the stars that shine the brightest, fade the fastest... :sad:

YoursTruly
08-05-2005, 03:52 AM
Hey if Andre can stay in it just by knowing he can, then Guga has every right to.

Wojtek
08-05-2005, 05:44 AM
WTF :rolleyes:

If you're Guga's fan you will not post such idiotic thread.

BlackSilver
08-05-2005, 08:46 AM
He HAS to play between six months to one year to really know how he will be physically, and due to this, what type of tennis he will be capable to produce .

iliketennis
08-05-2005, 10:03 AM
If Guga is still enjoying tennis, he can play forever. As soon as the passion is absent, then he should retire.

sigmagirl91
08-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Guga should retire when he wants to.

Action Jackson
08-05-2005, 10:57 AM
No way.

fabolous
08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
WTF :rolleyes:

If you're Guga's fan you will not post such idiotic thread.
so you as a fan prefer seeing him losing in first rounds in every tournament?

of course i hope as well as you that he comes back where he once was, but if he feels that he can't regain his old form why should he keep on playing? just to lose against guys like sanchez, armando? i wonder if he's enjoying tennis right now. it's up to him, if he really want to come back and makes it, it's great, but if he quits, we have to accept it.

Jelena
08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Let me give you my honest opinion to it, and first say that I say that now in high appreciation what he has given to the tennis world at all and to Brazilian tennis in special. I was in Stuttgart at the tournament, I didn't watch the match vs Armando which he lost in straight sets, BUT I saw him leaving the ground later in the early evening. Let me tell you what he did: He was limping! After one quite short match Guga was obviously limping. I know he was treated in that match, but on his neck and not on the hip. In my opinion he should consider that he has to live (hopefully) still at least 40 years with this body. It is not only that he has to play tennis with this body, but that there is a life after tennis. And that's why I say he should retire as soon as possible. But I know that he still doesn't really want to. (At least that's what was written in my newspaper in a story about Guga after the match.)

skel1983
08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
i think Guga can still pull out moments of brilliance, so i feel that with this he will carry on, it's been a crazy time with Guga since his surgery, i mean i've seen him play some of his best tennis but even the match after he is very ordianary, but like i say i think Guga himself believes that he has still got some magic left and things will turn round, but i am not too sure they will.

i mean i think it was Hamburg 03 against Canas that was just a perfect performance but then he throws in some dodgy displays. Its a tough call!!!!!!
When someone is so succesful in there respected Sport, i think it is quite hard to stop and especially when you haven't hit 30!!!

avocadoe
08-05-2005, 12:18 PM
It is up to him...if he maintains his sense of the possible and it makes him happy to try, so be it, and who knows what may come of it. It is sad though knwoing how he struggles now, and wishing he had a good plan to get back into contention. I haven't seen him play in a long time, so don't have a sense of what he's doing, what not, and what could return of his former brilliance.

Billabong
08-05-2005, 01:06 PM
OMG I so much HATE these threads:rolleyes:
Have you only read his interviews?? Do you know actually why he lost 2 of his last 3 matches? It's not because he's finished at all, he has a neck injury that kept him from turning his head normally, and now he's resting it. Guga said he expected to have a very tough year in 2005 and win very few matches. He doesn't want AT ALL to retire!! He really enjoys playing tennis, he said playing the first set against Coria was definitely worth it, because it was still a test against one of the best clay players of today, and it was still tight. Did you expect him to reach the QF of RG last year? Did you expect him to reach the Indian Wells final in 2003? Beating Roger Federer twice since 2003, and not losing to him? Guga can ALWAYS surprise us, he always has the game in him, it's just a matter of getting the necessary match play and rhythm.

I think he may need to play some challengers to get his confidence back, or even some quallies. He needs to play more matches, everyone knows that. He won't play the masters series event this year, but will concentrate on the smaller tournaments, which is already a start. Let's wait to see him in 2006, and maybe (I'm confident we will) we will see some progress and some good results:)! I think that's the way a real fan should act, no?:)!

Billabong
08-05-2005, 01:15 PM
And BTW Guga didn't really always "choke" in the tournaments where he played well... in RG 2002, he was beaten by Costa, who played a fantastic match and finally won the whole tournament... in the US Open 2002, he ran into a red hot Shalken and maybe didn't play his best, but Shalken was the best player that day... in IW 2003, he lost in the finals to Hewitt, but Lley was #1 in the world and Guga had already played his semfiinal match the same morning.. in RG 2003, he definitely should have won against Robredo, but Robredo was very impressive.. in RG 2004, he was badly injured against Nalbandian and still played one hell of a match for an injured player! David was consistent, and deserved to win..

Billabong
08-05-2005, 01:23 PM
so you as a fan prefer seeing him losing in first rounds in every tournament? .

Of course Guga losing in the first round of tournaments is tough for Guga fans. But we know that's part of the recovery. Coming back after 2 big surgeries is something tough, and it's admirable to see Guga still trying and always stay positive, and that's why he has a lot of fans everywhere he's playing. Staying positive and continue to work will get him to good results, I know it.

Guga sees himself play many more years. Why should he retire at 28 years old if he still enjoys the game and still believes in himself to have good results? He knows he can come back, and I'm sure he's right:) Guga never had the best movement, the best serve or the best all-around game, but he certainly has the best heart and one of the best clay court games ever. He's also a very good hardcourt player, and he certainly still has the game in him. Guga certainly won't give up with a few first round losses of small tournaments;)

star
08-05-2005, 01:30 PM
See, I'm not inside Guga's body. I'm not his trainer. I don't really know how he is feeling. So, I can't say anything about whether he should retire or should keep on playing and seeing how his body responds.

I know that Guga has said some positive things about his recovery and his plans for the future. I'll just have faith that he knows more about his tennis and his body than I do. If he wants to continue, that's fine with me. I learned after his first hip surgery not to be upset about any loss, and to just enjoy any opportunity I had to see him play his unique tennis. :hatoff:

Billy Moonshine
08-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I hope he doesn't retire. he is my favorite player ever. So sweet, charming, flamboyant. I wish him luck and hope to see him lift the RG trophy once more!!!! I think if he is unhappy maybe he should retire but I think he will keep trying for a few more seasons. He is not one to go down without a fight. :)

fabolous
08-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Guga sees himself play many more years. Why should he retire at 28 years old if he still enjoys the game and still believes in himself to have good results? He knows he can come back, and I'm sure he's right:)
if he really feels like that, then of course he should not retire, that's what i also said in my post before. you know, it just hurts me to see him losing all these matches against players who are far away from guga's former level. guga is one of the most charismatic guys on the tour and his retirement would be a big loss for the whole tennis scene. i think everybody wants him to come back, but it's a long and hard way to go........

Experimentee
08-05-2005, 02:57 PM
If he is still enjoying himself, he should continue. But its questionable whether he is, since he seems to be playing in pain all the time, and that affects his form. I hope he can come back and at least get back to a top 50 level.

ultraX
08-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't think Guga should retire. He will soon recover

Is there any chances that Guga will involve at Montreal Tournament next week??

Nimomunz
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
hey guga should do wateva Guga thinks is best!!
:wavey:

Billabong
08-05-2005, 05:36 PM
I don't think Guga should retire. He will soon recover

Is there any chances that Guga will involve at Montreal Tournament next week??

Nope, he's next scheduled for Long Island I think:)

Billabong
08-05-2005, 05:38 PM
if he really feels like that, then of course he should not retire, that's what i also said in my post before. you know, it just hurts me to see him losing all these matches against players who are far away from guga's former level. guga is one of the most charismatic guys on the tour and his retirement would be a big loss for the whole tennis scene. i think everybody wants him to come back, but it's a long and hard way to go........

yep, I agree:)

alfonsojose
08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Guga :wavey: :hug:

mitalidas
08-05-2005, 08:35 PM
it would be a shame to see him play his last match in a small tourney, with a few spectators, retiring with a bad back.
If he knows he is nearing the end, I would hope he would announce it prior to the FO and get all his matches on chartrier for his last hoorah. win or lose, it would be a much more fitting retirement

1sun
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
well hes said in his interviews, that hes not too worried about his results this year, because its just to get matchs under his belt and gear him up for next year. i still believe he has good tennis left in him so i aint counting him out yet. but if next year his results are similiar, then mayb its time to say bye bye guga

Hagar
08-05-2005, 11:06 PM
This thread makes me so sad. :sad: :sad: :sad:
I refuse to believe that Guga cannot have one more period of great tennis with impressive wins. The tennis is still there, you don't lose talent. He proved it during that perfect match against Roger last year; brilliant :worship: !
It seems like yesterday that I got to know him at Roland Garros 1997...
I am thinking about Mary Pierce on the WTA who had disappeared and is now back with very good tennis.
Guga cannot retire without one more great Roland Garros. If he's once again in the second week of Roland Garros, be sure I'll take the first train to Paris and I won't mind for one second to pay a fortune to get a ticket.

Wojtek
08-06-2005, 12:36 PM
so you as a fan prefer seeing him losing in first rounds in every tournament?

of course i hope as well as you that he comes back where he once was, but if he feels that he can't regain his old form why should he keep on playing? just to lose against guys like sanchez, armando? i wonder if he's enjoying tennis right now. it's up to him, if he really want to come back and makes it, it's great, but if he quits, we have to accept it.

I saw him in Sopot and he is enjoying tennis.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: @ your post

avocadoe
08-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Good to hear that, Wojtek, if he is truly happy, so am I :)

gogo_guga
08-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Guga has always been and will always be my favorite player to ever step on a tennis court; however, I feel that if he wants to make a strong comeback, he needs to be a little bit more realistic. Although he does need to work on his fitness in order to be successful again, I think that what he really needs is to work on his mental toghness. Instead of losing all of his first round matches and therefore losing even more confindence, I think that he should play some challengers and build up his confidence again (think Andre Agassi). I also feel that Guga should stop training solely in Brazil, I really don't see how he is getting the awesome practice buddies that he needs down there. I'm not necessarily saying that he should move from Brazil, I'm just saying that he should visit his Spanish and Argentinian friends more often. Playing with the up and coming juniors from these two tennis booming nations would help him tremendoulsy with his game.
As a fan, it would be a dream come true to see Guga win Roland Garros a fourth time, but I realize that I also have to be realistic. Tennis like everything else in life is constantly evolving, and I'm afraid that even if Guga did come back to the top shape that he once had, he could never beat the likes of Rafael Nadal, Richard Gasquet, and even Roger Federer (again) on a clay court. I think that staying in the top 20 would be a reasonable goal for Guga.

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-06-2005, 04:52 PM
People shouldn't retire from the sport they love just because they are not the best in the sport anymore

sawan66278
08-07-2005, 02:47 AM
I too will miss Guga if he chooses to retire...but I have to say, the writing has been on the wall for some time...I believe, to begin, he played too many matches in 2001 on hard courts...this lead to his present injuries...Furthermore, he stayed with Larry as his coach for WAY too long (at least from a strategic standpoint)....Why Guga played so far beyond the baseline I will never know...I really believe that over the years, he HAS choked away a lot of opportunities...Schalken at the U.S. Open...give me a break...when you are of the caliber of Guga...you DO NOT lose to someone like him...or to Costa or Robredo at the French...or even Nalbandian...in each of those matches, he had great opportunities and blew it at crucial points and junctures...Had he gone further, who knows where his confidence would be...Soon enough, I fear most tournaments will not grant him wild cards...Oh and I almost forgot...losing to Kafelnikov at the U.S. Open in STRAIGHT SETS in the QF...maybe the most disappointing loss (along with the fall season that followed that loss when he couldn't even win a single match at the ATP championships) were the most heartbreaking for me...

deflori
08-07-2005, 02:42 PM
one word - NO!!!
Guga is one of the most important dudes on tour...