Is becoming a tennis commentator the surest way to become hated on MTF? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is becoming a tennis commentator the surest way to become hated on MTF?

LoveFifteen
08-04-2005, 02:28 AM
It seems like every single commentator on ESPN is loathed by many, many people on MTF. Why is this? Are commentators hated in every sport?

El Legenda
08-04-2005, 02:29 AM
key word: ESPN.

its.like.that
08-04-2005, 02:32 AM
replace commentator with journalist, and the statement still applies

;)

Sjengster
08-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Hel-loooooo!!!

sigmagirl91
08-04-2005, 02:39 AM
They know nothing; they need a seeing-eye dog; and they have really bad speech skills.

Clara Bow
08-04-2005, 03:05 AM
I like some of the commentators. I'm always happy when Cliff D. and Mary C. (I know some people don't like her but I really enjoy her most of the time) are commentating.

LoveFifteen
08-04-2005, 03:45 AM
They know nothing; they need a seeing-eye dog; and they have really bad speech skills.

Is there anyone that you think is a good commentator?

its.like.that
08-04-2005, 04:07 AM
mats isnt a bad commentator.

his commentating is better than his poetry, thats for sure.

:lol:

tennis4eva
08-04-2005, 04:08 AM
Someone should start an official school for tennis commentators. I'm dead serious. Just because someone was a good player doesn't make then a good commentator. Mary Carillo is the only commentator out there who posesses the skill to say at least one thought provoking sentence during an entire tennis match. I put the volume down so I don't even have to hear Tim Ryan, he's absolutely the worst!!!! :o

sigmagirl91
08-04-2005, 04:12 AM

Let me get back to you on that....hmmm.....no one comes to mind right now....

tennis4eva
08-04-2005, 04:20 AM
Let me get back to you on that....hmmm.....no one comes to mind right now....
What? Not even Gilbert? :o

Haute
08-04-2005, 04:23 AM
When you have people like Brad Gilbert as a commentator, the hatred is justified. ;)

tennis4eva
08-04-2005, 04:26 AM
When you have people like Brad Gilbert as a commentator, the hatred is justified. ;)
I almost died when he was saying Sheer-Phan instead of Sri-cha-phan.... :tape:

Haute
08-04-2005, 04:30 AM
I almost die laughing everytime he tries to pronounce any player's name who isn't American. :p I wonder how long he had to practice saying Federer to keep from looking completely incompetent. ;)

its.like.that
08-04-2005, 05:12 AM
What? Not even Gilbert? :o

Gilbert is the best.

How do I know this?

He said so himself.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Magnus Larsson is a brilliant commentator and Stich is very good as well.

jole
08-04-2005, 05:49 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Xml/Tennis/Dossiers/Media/2109_usa_1.jpg http://www.tennis.info/images/Roddick3/8CEC0255.jpg
http://www.grandslamsports.cc/Legend%20Bios/Cliff%20Drysdale/Cliff_pic.jpg
http://www.enquirer.com/focalpoint/keating/img/JENSENS.jpg

What the hell is there not to like?

Chloe le Bopper
08-04-2005, 05:55 AM
*swoons*

jole
08-04-2005, 05:57 AM
I had included this (http://www.itatennis.com/Drysdale.JPG) at first, but it covered the entire freakin screen. I didn't want to paralyze anyone.

Chloe le Bopper
08-04-2005, 06:05 AM
It's also SUPER hawt. Most people probably couldn't have handled it.

LoveFifteen
08-04-2005, 06:32 AM
I mean, I understand that Brad Gilbert is pretty annoying. But it seems like on MTF and WTA World, I have read dozens of blisteringly hateful comments about every single commentator and virtually not a single nice comment. Is there a sport where die-hard fans have less respect for their commentators?

On a side note, I've only seen hateful comments about tennis journalists as well. I get the feeling that no matter who becomes a tennis commentator, many people will say that they "know nothing about tennis".

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Just because someone is a tennis commentator and a journalist doesn't always mean they know what they are talking about.

Gilbert showed his true knowledge when he said Acasuso had a weak serve and a backhand before he played Roddick at RG. When the fact that Acasuso easily outaced Roddick and in the last 3 sets was getting cleaned up by his backhand down the line.

It's like in any profession, if they don't come up to standard, then they deserve to be criticised and tennis is no different.

There are guys like John Newcombe who loves Hewitt so badly, that it's hilarious. Like he said "come on mate", we need a break of serve here. As funny as it is, commentators shouldn't be that biased.

LoveFifteen
08-04-2005, 07:22 AM
No one is perfect. I think some people are hyper-critical and cannot be satisfied by any tennis commentator.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 07:29 AM
No one is perfect. I think some people are hyper-critical and cannot be satisfied by any tennis commentator.

Most of us don't live in North Korea or Turkmenistan where dissent and differing opinions can't be expressed, and as for my Gilbert and Newk examples they are very clear reasons as to why they deserve to be bagged.

Ok, here it is, if someone does or submits sub standard work consistently, then that is going to bring criticism and fairly as well. Not doing research about an opponent that they are not familiar with is a no-no for example and being totally biased isn't a good thing either.

Each person has their own view of things and no one expects them to be perfect, but there many little things that can be done to improve and they are not being done often enough.

nermo
08-04-2005, 10:33 AM
no. it's not ..but i personally dislike commentators who think they know everything and who use their mouths more than using their heads...and actually most of them are ;) ..but some commentators are really good , i'm sorry , i don't know about american or european commentators..but among the arabic commentators, i respect Karim al alami, and imho, the best commentator :Adel Sherief , to whom i think, lots of ppl. here liked tennis cuz of him.

David Kenzie
08-04-2005, 10:40 AM
As I live in europe I only get to hear him taped, but I quite like Cliff Drysdale. Oh and John McEnroe is always good for a laugh, although I'm sure you could get bored of him.

One thing for sure, there is no good french commentator: they are all very embarassing. Every time I wach a tennis match on the BBC its a relief for that matter.

Nimomunz
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Cliff Drysdale is very funny. i heart him!

ae wowww
08-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Just be careful what you say ;)

buddyholly
08-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Last week for the LA tournament, ESPNdeportes gave us Cliff, PMac and Brad, instead of the usual Spanish language. I had read many anti-Gilbert posts but had not heard for myself. The fact is that Gilbert was by far the most informative of the three. It may have been because he knew Agassi so well, but he seemed to be inside Agassi's head and was able to predict what was going to happen next.

SwissMister1
08-04-2005, 03:01 PM
I love Cliffy, he can never do wrong in my book. I especially loved the Drysdale-Stolle annoucing tandem. I don't care how bad anyone says that Tim Ryan is, I will never get tired of hearing him. :)

Worst commentator? Wayne Bryan on the Tennis Channel.

MariaV
08-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh, never heard the American comentators but listening to the Eurosport or Russian NTV+ commentators they are all pretty OK, none of them bothers me. I don't get angry with them when they get something wrong, I just laugh a bit. Wilander was fun to listen to during RG.
The only ones I have problem with are ppl on Russian RTR Sport channel but they don't broacast much tennis anyway so I don't have to listen to them. :) They really don't know what they're talking about.

mitalidas
08-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I'd like for commentators to keep their personal impressions of or relations with a player out of commentating. So few can do that. Mary Carillo is a case in point --hates the Sisters and it has reached a point where she cannot dissociate the tennis analysis from the outside-tennis parts. Mcenroe has great analysis, but he is so biased.
I like Becker --he is extremely balanced, and gives remarkable analysi. Courier is okay too (boring but okay)

LoveFifteen
08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Why does Mary hate the sisters?

nobama
08-05-2005, 02:26 AM
And Mary Carillo is obviously a big Fed fan. During one match at RG she was going on about what a thoughful kid Roger is, how bright he is, how good he is with the media, ect. Then she brought up how Roger is against any type of replay system...and suprise, surprise, so is she! I usually like Carillo because she's not afraid to tell it like it is (esp with Serena) but I think as a commentator you should check your biases at the door before you enter the commentary booth.

heya
08-05-2005, 04:27 AM
Ms. Underachiever Carillo :o Arrogant, phony, manly lady
Her grunts make my heart skip a beat.

Lisbeth
08-05-2005, 04:32 AM
There are guys like John Newcombe who loves Hewitt so badly, that it's hilarious. Like he said "come on mate", we need a break of serve here. As funny as it is, commentators shouldn't be that biased.

I agree with this. I think Newk is a decent commentator - except when an Australian is playing. I'm usually cheering for the Aussie myself but I want expert commentary, not a biased bundle of nerves.

YoursTruly
08-05-2005, 04:38 AM
Is becoming a tennis commentator the surest way to become hated on MTF?

No, but it boosts your chances

jole
08-05-2005, 08:26 PM
"You need a little junior trampoline to get that."

-Brad Gilbert, refering to returning Ivo Karlovic's serve.

I <3 him.

RebelNYC
08-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I love Cliff! I always find him amusing. Tim Ryan I watch with the sound down.
Love her or hate her, Mary has a way with words.

Saumon
08-05-2005, 08:32 PM
I love Nelson Monfort and Lionel Chamoulaud :tape:

Jennay
08-05-2005, 10:36 PM
What the hell is there not to like?
I love you.

jole
08-05-2005, 10:56 PM
I love you.

I think you might love Wayne Bryan.