Athletics [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Athletics

Pages : [1] 2

Sandra
08-03-2005, 06:30 PM
I didnt see any thread about athletics in here and the Words are coming soon so i decied to start one ;)
Well i am (almost)only intetrested with the triple jump :cool:

BTW Does anyone know where i can find some pics from the super gps this year?

Choupi
08-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Great thread Sandra! :yeah: Well, I hope it won't be all dedicated to triple jump...I'm interested in many other fields... ;)

Sandra
08-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Well of course but tripe jump is the highlight of the event ;)

its.like.that
08-04-2005, 12:33 AM
great thread sandra :)

its.like.that
08-04-2005, 12:34 AM
I didnt see any thread about athletics in here and the Words are coming soon so i decied to start one ;)

I was wondering if your compatriot in Gabriella Szabo still competes?

she is/was a very classy runner

its.like.that
08-04-2005, 12:36 AM
i was also wondering if the KING OF THROWING EVENTS is still around,

JAN ZELEZNY :cool:

its.like.that
08-04-2005, 12:38 AM
i was also wondering if the KING OF THROWING EVENTS is still around,

JAN ZELEZNY :cool:

and dont anyone dare say they havent heard of him, go here and read about him instead -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_%C5%BDelezn%C3%BD

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Jan Zelezny has withdrawn from the World Champs.

The real triple jump champ Christian Olsson is another withdrawl, along with Asafa Powell, Koji Mirofushi the Japanese-Romanian hammer champ from the Olympics. El Guerrouj is another one not competing in Helsinki.

As much as I enjoy Helsinki, I just hope there isn't an anti-climax to it all.

Felix the man Sanchez is half fit, but is turning up and going to try and defend his title.

SuperFurryAnimal
08-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Good luck to all competing Dutch athletes! Arnoud Okken, Eugene Martineau, Gregory Sedoc, Guus Hoogmoed, Jeroen van Damme, Luc Krotwaar, Marcel van der Westen, Rens Blom, Rutger Smith, Simon Vroemen, Annemarie Kramer, Jacqueline Poelman, Judith Baarssen, Karin Ruckstuhl, Laurien Hoos, Lieja Tunks-Koeman, Marjolein de Jong, Miranda Boonstra, Nadja Weijenberg, Pascal van Assendelft and Rosina Hodde! :yeah:

It's been a while since we had some success. Well, of course we got the bronze on the 4x100m relay in Saint Denis, but that was only because Dwayne Chambers of the UK was disqualified after take dope. It counts, but in a way it doesn't, you know what I mean?

Special good luck to Laurien Hoos at the heptathlon tournament (European champion under 23!) (my friend dated her brother for a while!) and Marjolein de Jong at the 400 m hurdles (from my region as well as Laurien)! Zet 'm op! :yeah:

Papakori
08-04-2005, 08:25 AM
My favourite events are the 10,000m and Triple Jump!

Good luck to Paula Radcliffe in the 10,000m, I love watching Paula run!
I am glad that Françoise Mbango Etone is competing in the Triple Jump, I enjoyed watching her win gold at Athens

JMG
08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Well my favourite Ato Boldon retired last year. I'm mostly interested in men's pole vault and javelin now.

Sandra
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Gabriela Szabo deosnt compete anymore :sad:

Sandra
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I forgot to say who i root for :Marian Oprea:cool:

Neely
08-05-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm mainly interested in all throwing and sprint events :cool:
but can pretty much enjoy everything

revolution
08-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Our players never do well in athletics, our relay gold last year was somewhat out of the blue.
I like Asafa Powell, and Shaun Crawford in the sprints.
Marian Oprea, I like in the triple jump. We had the best ever in Edwards.

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 09:01 AM
My favourite events are the 10,000m and Triple Jump!

Good luck to Paula Radcliffe in the 10,000m, I love watching Paula run!
I am glad that Françoise Mbango Etone is competing in the Triple Jump, I enjoyed watching her win gold at Athens

surely Kenny Bekele and King Gabre are more exciting to watch over the 10,000m distance?

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 09:03 AM

if you like triple jump, does that mean you are a Lebedeva fan?

siobhan
08-05-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm really looking forward to Helsinki, I love athletics. :) I'm mostly interested in the technical disciplines, all throwing and jumping, and of course decathlon and heptathlon.

Action Jackson
08-05-2005, 10:13 AM
surely Kenny Bekele and King Gabre are more exciting to watch over the 10,000m distance?

Any African male is more interesting to watch in these great events. Go the steeplechase that's the event.

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Any African male is more interesting to watch in these great events. Go the steeplechase that's the event.

lol.. for some reason i have never taken a liking to the steeplechase.

Action Jackson
08-05-2005, 11:26 AM
lol.. for some reason i have never taken a liking to the steeplechase.

You don't like it when they fall in the water jump?

At least the steeplechase isn't like the joke of an event like the high jump is. I remember in the late 80s up to the mid 90s the high jump was a top notch event, now it's even worse when Agassi was making his finals at RG.

Choupi
08-05-2005, 11:31 AM
That's the most interesting part of steeplechase! :D I know it's not funny...but I like it, I can't help it! :tape:

Action Jackson
08-05-2005, 11:36 AM
That's the most interesting part of steeplechase! :D I know it's not funny...but I like it, I can't help it! :tape:

It's part of the fun, but it's such a hard event and the fact that the Kenyans always win, well even the moron that runs for Qatar is a Kenyan. The one time when they went 1-2-3 and they were laughing in the final straight.

Sandra
08-05-2005, 11:56 AM
if you like triple jump, does that mean you are a Lebedeva fan?
No,it means i am a Marian Oprea fan :)

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 12:11 PM
what about Ivan Pedroso, is he in the long jump?

Action Jackson
08-05-2005, 12:12 PM
what about Ivan Pedroso?

Pedroso is past it and was a long jumper and not a high jumper.

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 12:15 PM

At least the steeplechase isn't like the joke of an event like the high jump is. I remember in the late 80s up to the mid 90s the high jump was a top notch event, now it's even worse when Agassi was making his finals at RG.

were you a fan of Javier Sotomayor?

Action Jackson
08-05-2005, 12:17 PM
were you a fan of Javier Sotomayor?

Fine jumper. I actually liked most of them back then and even the Americans didn't piss me off then.

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 12:34 PM
is that African Danish bloke still around? :lol:

bad gambler
08-05-2005, 12:36 PM

wilson kipketer :worship:

Action Jackson
08-05-2005, 12:39 PM

The guy who murdered the Olympic Gold in 2000 Kipketer.

Atlanta 96 the 800m was great the 1st 4 guys under 1,43 that doesn't happen often.

Though mr Second Sepeng the South African got done for drugs recently.

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I remember a race many years ago, 10000m i think, where one of the main contenders lost a shoe towards the end of the race... I can't remember whether he went on to win or not, or whereabouts it was...

anyone able to help?

:help:

Choupi
08-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Sorry I can't help.:awww:

I was a big fan of Jonathan Edwards...that guy was too :cool: !

OK, just read about who's gonna, actually take part to the WC among our little Frenchies. And happy surprise! Marc Raquil, who had previously decided not to go, because not qualified in singles, has finally decided to make the 4x400m...:banana: And the chances of medals are thought to be up to 5. We'll see. Just hope that those names won't disappoint me...Christine Arron (100m),
Ladji Doucouré (100m), Eunice Barber(long jump), Manuela Montebrun (shot), Mehdi Baala (1500m), Ronald Pognon (400m), Leslie Djhone (400m), Naman Keita (400m hurdles).

its.like.that
08-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Sorry I can't help.:awww:

I was a big fan of Jonathan Edwards...that guy was too :cool: !

OK, just read about who's gonna, actually take part to the WC among our little Frenchies. And happy surprise! Marc Raquil, who had previously decided not to go, because not qualified in singles, has finally decided to make the 4x400m...:banana: And the chances of medals are thought to be up to 5. We'll see. Just hope that those names won't disappoint me...Christine Arron (100m),
Ladji Doucouré (100m), Eunice Barber(long jump), Manuela Montebrun (shot), Mehdi Baala (1500m), Ronald Pognon (400m), Leslie Djhone (400m), Naman Keita (400m hurdles).

my favourite frenchie is Jean Galfione, I actually got to meet him once, I will write about the encounter when I have more time.

is he still competing? or retired?

Choupi
08-05-2005, 02:56 PM
my favourite frenchie is Jean Galfione, I actually got to meet him once, I will write about the encounter when I have more time.

is he still competing? or retired?
Officially, he's still competing...but the results haven't been there for such a long time! Sometimes, I tell myself that he should have retired. I've seen him a few weeks ago, during a meeting. He had great hopes to make it a come back...in vain. :awww: How frustrating to see him not even jumping the lowest height! :sad:

Sandra
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Our players never do well in athletics, our relay gold last year was somewhat out of the blue.
I like Asafa Powell, and Shaun Crawford in the sprints.
Marian Oprea, I like in the triple jump. We had the best ever in Edwards.It is so nice to hear someone else likes him :D....I know he is good but i have an impression that if sportsman are Romanian arent that known even if they are really good ;)

Choupi
08-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Another worrying news...from www.eurosport.com

Kluft hurts ankle training

World heptathlon champion Carolina Kluft will defend her title in Helsinki next week with her ankle strapped after suffering an injury in training. The 22-year-old Swede twisted her left ankle on Friday.

"It's not so serious," her father Jonny Kluft told Reuters. "Her ankle will be strapped up and we will have to see how it reacts tomorrow."

Swedish team spokesman Fredrik Trahn said Kluft did not need an x-ray and her ankle was being treated with ice and pressure.

"It's swollen but it won't affect her (in competition)," he said.

The two-day seven-event heptathlon competition gets underway on Saturday with the 100 metres hurdles, shot put, high jump and 200 metres.

Kluft, who is also the Olympic champion, told a news conference on Thursday she aimed to beat her personal best of 7,001 points set at the Paris world championships two years ago.

bad gambler
08-06-2005, 01:54 AM
lol what is with this talk about the distance events, lets talk about the real events, the sprints!!! :cool:

Anyone see past Justin "Smoking Gun" Gatlin in the 100m?

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 05:00 AM
lol what is with this talk about the distance events, lets talk about the real events, the sprints!!! :cool:

No tactics needed in the 100m, ego driven, steroid monkeys that's the average sprinter apart from about 3 of them.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 06:11 AM
I remember a race many years ago, 10000m i think, where one of the main contenders lost a shoe towards the end of the race... I can't remember whether he went on to win or not, or whereabouts it was...

anyone able to help?

:help:

Here is the incident you are talking about.

Haile Gebrselassie at the 1993 World Championships in Stuttgart: in the last lap, running on the heels of Moses Tanui, and Tanui just lose the race by a very small margin and I think he'd have won, but that's a great unknown.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 06:12 AM
Well of course but tripe jump is the highlight of the event ;)

Just a chance for someone to win while Christian Olsson is out.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 07:12 AM

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the sprints, both men and women, I don't like Gatlin. Reminds me too much of Greene and as I disliked Maurice... :rolleyes: I'm sorry about Powell's pulling out. I'd like to see Kim Collins get some good time. And I'm eager to see what our little Frenchie will do...

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 07:18 AM
As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the sprints, both men and women, I don't like Gatlin. Reminds me too much of Greene and as I disliked Maurice... :rolleyes: I'm sorry about Powell's pulling out. I'd like to see Kim Collins get some good time. And I'm eager to see what our little Frenchie will do...

That's an insult to Gatlin, he is nowhere near as bad as those 2 arse clowns Greene and Drummond.

bad gambler
08-06-2005, 07:29 AM
No tactics needed in the 100m, ego driven, steroid monkeys that's the average sprinter apart from about 3 of them.
so what is your point? :p

but after meeting a couple of the yank sprinters in Sydney Olympics, Jon Drummond and Maurice Greene, i saw with my own eyes their arrogance

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 07:32 AM
so what is your point? :p

but after meeting a couple of the yank sprinters in Sydney Olympics, Jon Drummond and Maurice Greene, i saw with my own eyes their arrogance

I just can't stand the majority of sprinters. The only ones I could even consider as good guys are Frankie Fredericks and Kim Collins.

Donovan Bailey was great when he beat the Yanks in the US, but he wasn't a good guy.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 07:35 AM
That's an insult to Gatlin, he is nowhere near as bad as those 2 arse clowns Greene and Drummond.
That's no insult. That's the way I see him. OK, he wasn't that way when he started to compete. But his head has swollen with the good results coming to him, and he takes the way to Greene. Drummond, yes, he is arrogant for sure, but he sings wonderful gospel! :p So he gets at least my admiration for that! ;)

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 07:37 AM
That's no insult. That's the way I see him. OK, he wasn't that way when he started to compete. But his head has swollen with the good results coming to him, and he takes the way to Greene. Drummond, yes, he is arrogant for sure, but he sings wonderful gospel! :p So he gets at least my admiration for that! ;)

I mean there is only one thing worse that comparing Gatlin to Greene and Drummond, that would be saying he is as bad Carl Lewis, then again Linford was an arrogant prick as well, but a different kind of arrogant.

bad gambler
08-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Doucoure (sp?) has performed really strongly this season, though I think the Chinese hurdler might rise to the ocassion like he did in Athens

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Go the 50k Walk that's a great event.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Doucoure (sp?) has performed really strongly this season, though I think the Chinese hurdler might rise to the ocassion like he did in Athens
Yes Ladji has had very good results so far. And I have the conviction that it's not over. Yet, the Chinese hurdler, as you named him, is the fave...We'll see.
I'm also curious to see how Pognon will do in the 100m...

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 07:47 AM
For those too lazy to find out, here is the program for today.

http://www.iaaf.org/WCH05/results/raceDate=08-06-2005/byDate.html

The women's steeplechase at least there will be a championship record today.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 07:50 AM
I mean there is only one thing worse that comparing Gatlin to Greene and Drummond, that would be saying he is as bad Carl Lewis, then again Linford was an arrogant prick as well, but a different kind of arrogant.
Christie had that kind of arrogance that I like. :) To come back on Drummond, when I saw the short report in which I've heard him sing Gospel, I've told myself, that guy had 2 things I was able to admire, his eyes and his voice! :p
And you can be sure that, each time he's interviewed by our national N. Monfort, he doesn't miss the opportunity to remind him of his great ability for Gospel! :D

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Drummond can sing very well for sure. Then there was the fool Bernard Williams, but he does comedy, his running is more comedic these days.

Aphex's favourite is on today Klüft, he really likes her.

bad gambler
08-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Drummond can sing very well for sure. Then there was the fool Bernard Williams, but he does comedy, his running is more comedic these days.

You only had to see the 4x100m US team after they won gold in Sydney, the way they carried on inside the stadium was pathetic

And then in the World Champs the next year where Drummond delayed the start fo the race after being DQ'd by lying flat on his back in his lane refusing to accept the judges verdict :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 08:02 AM
You only had to see the 4x100m US team after they won gold in Sydney, the way they carried on inside the stadium was pathetic

And then in the World Champs the next year where Drummond delayed the start fo the race after being DQ'd by lying flat on his back in his lane refusing to accept the judges verdict :rolleyes:

Yes, that was horrible stuff what they went on with and I remember the long jumper Dwight Phillips making remarks along the lines of hey if I acted like that I might get more sponsorship.

When the Brits won last year it was great, especially as Michael Johnson was talking shit about them.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Aphex's favourite is on today Klüft, he really likes her.
I hope her ankle will be fine. :) Well, I can understand that he likes her. Honestly, I couldn't understand why she shouldn't be liked, especially by guys...She's pretty and really gifted. And absolutely not taking advantage of her talents...arrogance is a word that will never go with her.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 08:16 AM
He sure has actor's talents! :p Terrific!

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 08:16 AM
I hope her ankle will be fine. :) Well, I can understand that he likes her. Honestly, I couldn't understand why she shouldn't be liked, especially by guys...She's pretty and really gifted. And absolutely not taking advantage of her talents...arrogance is a word that will never go with her.

He actually doesn't like her that much I was being facetious, too nice for him.

I don't mind her and the journalists lover her because she is always ready to talk to them.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 08:26 AM
He actually doesn't like her that much I was being facetious, too nice for him.
Too nice for him? Come on... :rolleyes:

What I like in her is that she seems so easy at all she's doing! That's unbelievable! She makes heptathlon appear as if everybody could do what she's doing!

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Too nice for him? Come on... :rolleyes:

What I like in her is that she seems so easy at all she's doing! That's unbelievable! She makes heptathlon appear as if everybody could do what she's doing!

His words were goody too shoes I think. I will start posing more Norwegian stuff soon.

I mean come on she is not like the great man of Swedish athletics the one the only Patrik Sjöberg, there was a charisma machine.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I mean come on she is not like the great man of Swedish athletics the one the only Patrik Sjöberg, there was a charisma machine.
Sorry, I don't know him...:awww:

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Sorry, I don't know him...:awww:

When did you start following athletics?

Choupi
08-06-2005, 09:01 AM
When did you start following athletics?
I really started looking quite regularly from Barcelona 92 on...but I was only interested, at first, in sprint and races up to 400m...I'm like good wine, getting better with age! ;)

Bad news for Carolina, but good one for Eunice! :banana:
From eurosport.com: Carolina Kluft kicked off her world title defence in the heptathlon finishing second to France's Eunice Barber in the 100 metres hurdles as the World Championships kick off from Helsinki.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 09:03 AM
I really started looking quite regularly from Barcelona 92 on...but I was only interested, at first, in sprint and races up to 400m...I'm like good wine, getting better with age! ;)

Do you know Javier Sotomayor then?

bad gambler
08-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Barber v Kluft is going to be a classic!

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Barber v Kluft is going to be a classic!

It took a slight ankle problem for it to be close.

bad gambler
08-06-2005, 09:09 AM
It took a slight ankle problem for it to be close.
don't tell me the excuses have started already? :p

but yeah it's a shame she is not fully fit, hope she can last it out

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 09:12 AM
don't tell me the excuses have started already? :p

but yeah it's a shame she is not fully fit, hope she can last it out

No excuses just stating the obvious. I don't make excuses my friend.

I wonder if these clowns are actually going to jump something decent this time around it's a disgrace when 2,34 is good enough for a medal.

The womens well at least Kajsa Bergvist is good to look at and she can jump as well.

JMG
08-06-2005, 09:27 AM
The best guy in the Smith group was Ato Boldon, one of the 3 best sprinters ever! Very likable athlete. I wonder why nobody talks about him here. :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 09:34 AM
The best guy in the Smith group was Ato Boldon, one of the 3 best sprinters ever! Very likable athlete. I wonder why nobody talks about him here. :yeah:

If he was that good of a guy he wouldn't have deal with the Smith group.
John Smith what a guy, told Felix Sanchez he wasn't good enough, what a wanker.

Boldon = choker.

bad gambler
08-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Boldon talked the talk but never really delivered on the big stage. He is always going to be considered as greene's bitch

Choupi
08-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Do you know Javier Sotomayor then?
Yes I know him. :)

Choupi
08-06-2005, 09:44 AM
I had a crush on that guy! 1st time I've seen him run, he was 18 I guess. He was so natural and spontaneous when interviewed. The pb is that he stayed too long in the HSI team...it has destroyed everything he could have of natural in him, in all meanings of the word. But I still like him, though I'm pretty disappointed by the way his career is ending.:awww:

JMG
08-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Boldon had 28 sub-ten 100m races and 9 sub-20 200m in 6 years, that's top 3 of all time. That he has only one gold medal doesn't mean too much. It was just his bad luck that Greene was there.

Boldon says on his website that the horrible car crash in Trinidad was his end in 2001. He never ran under 10 sec. again after that.

I just saw that Ato posts one story of the past each month on his website. A great service for his fans, he always had the best website compared to the others. :D

its.like.that
08-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I just can't stand the majority of sprinters. The only ones I could even consider as good guys are Frankie Fredericks and Kim Collins.

Donovan Bailey was great when he beat the Yanks in the US, but he wasn't a good guy.

Fredericks is the James Brown of sprinting. While Ato Boldon was more of a Bob Marley.

its.like.that
08-06-2005, 11:11 AM

Linford had some class about him, more so than the other 3 mentioned.

its.like.that
08-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Yes, that was horrible stuff what they went on with and I remember the long jumper Dwight Phillips making remarks along the lines of hey if I acted like that I might get more sponsorship.

When the Brits won last year it was great, especially as Michael Johnson was talking shit about them.
Johnson was arrogant, but one of the best runners ever. The way he destroyed the fields in Atlanta, has to earn even his strongest critics' respect.

its.like.that
08-06-2005, 11:20 AM
His words were goody too shoes I think. I will start posing more Norwegian stuff soon.

Sjoberg, Joanna - now there's a fine woman :kiss:

Choupi
08-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Is it me or F. Sanchez is injured? He's had trouble walking after his heat of the 400m hurdles. He took his shoe off-well, yes it's no sign but he really seemed to have trouble walking. I hope I'm wrong... :confused:

For the moment, it's :banana: dance for Eunice! Keep it up that way girl. Take the gold, that's your colour, you know it! :bounce:

its.like.that
08-06-2005, 11:24 AM
If he was that good of a guy he wouldn't have deal with the Smith group.
John Smith what a guy, told Felix Sanchez he wasn't good enough, what a wanker.

Boldon = choker.
ahhh, Felix the man and his yellow bracelet with flashing lights - I have one of those.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Is it me or F. Sanchez is injured? He's had trouble walking after his heat of the 400m hurdles. He took his shoe off-well, yes it's no sign but he really seemed to have trouble walking. I hope I'm wrong... :confused:

For the moment, it's :banana: dance for Eunice! Keep it up that way girl. Take the gold, that's your colour, you know it! :bounce:

I posted on the 1st page of the thread of withdrawls and injuries that Felix Sanchez was half fit and have said more than once, he wanted to defend his title, where the coach didn't want him to run.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Johnson was arrogant, but one of the best runners ever. The way he destroyed the fields in Atlanta, has to earn even his strongest critics' respect.

He looks like Eddie Murphy on steroids with big gold chains, but once he run his race, he didn't go around with all the show boating.

its.like.that
08-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I posted on the 1st page of the thread of withdrawls and injuries that Felix Sanchez was half fit and have said more than once, he wanted to defend his title, where the coach didn't want him to run.

Vamos Felix

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Boldon talked the talk but never really delivered on the big stage. He is always going to be considered as greene's bitch

He always had the best technique, usually the fastest time coming into the major titles, but before Greene took more HGH and TGH, Boldon had his chances and blew them.

TheBoiledEgg
08-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Carolina Kluft is back ;) 15m+ in shot :yeah:

100m is gonna miss Asafa Powell
now its gonna be another one of those "give me a mike YANK" :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Heia Klüft take the gold.

Norway has only one chance for a gold medal in these champs. Andreas Thorkildsen in the javelin, well he might win it, then again a Finnish thrower might win it.

The javelin is the event in Finland, they also appreciate distance running. I wonder who'll win the 1500m as there is no El Guerrouj.

bad gambler
08-06-2005, 12:35 PM
The javelin is the event in Finland, they also appreciate distance running. I wonder who'll win the 1500m as there is no El Guerrouj.

I'd say it's between Komen and Ramzi, but the quality is not there as in previous years

TheBoiledEgg
08-06-2005, 12:38 PM
games missing too many stars though :(
1500m is open. Lagat isnt eligible :o

but at least "my" Kajsa goes tonight in the High Jump :hearts: ;)
been a decent comeback yr after last yrs horror accident.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Barber is 32 pts ahead of Klüft before the 200m...that's promising. What's gonna be determining is the long jump, tomorrow morning. :)

As for Sanchez, I had read about him being not 100% fit. But what I was saying is that he seemed fine before the race and had troubles walking after running. I hope he hasn't aggravated the injury.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 12:43 PM
games missing too many stars though :(
1500m is open. Lagat isnt eligible :o

The missing list is huge and Kajsa, yes I prefer her to Ludmila Enquist.

The Kallur twins in the hurdles aren't bad either.

I remember in the mid 90s when Norway had plenty of good athletes and the Swedes are absolutely crap, now it's the other way around.

Steinar Hoen should come out of retirement trained for 3 weeks and he'd have won a medal in the high jump.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 12:45 PM
I'd say it's between Komen and Ramzi, but the quality is not there as in previous years

It's good that all these countries buying Kenyan athletes aren't eligible to have them run, like the example for Stephen Cherono and I refuse to call him by his Arabic name.

TheBoiledEgg
08-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Shawn Crawford is even worse :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Shawn Crawford is even worse :rolleyes:

Crawford is a clown, it was great when Kederis bitchslapped him, at the same time they are both on the juice, so it was a fair contest.

fabolous
08-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Bartels will win the gold medal for germany this evening in shot put :worship: go ralph!

i miss hestrie cloete so much....... :sad: will she ever come back? poor hestrie....without her, high jump sucks, even barber could compete for a medal with her 1,91 m.

JMG
08-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Unger in 200m will be interesting for Germany! :yeah:

Then again we have three good pole vaulters, but Lobinger, Ecker and Börgeling are all chokers in the big events. :sad:

Choupi
08-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Just seen the 100m QFs and I'm worried about Kim Collins. He's the last to qualify for the semi with 10'32. :confused: Tomorrow's another day, I know but I can't help being worried. Pognon, well, I'm proud of him, 10.11. I hope to see him in the final. :)

Choupi
08-06-2005, 05:58 PM
OMG!!! :eek: Only 2 points separate Barber from Klüft...I'm eager to attend the end of the fight! :bounce:

Björki
08-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Kom Igen Klüft :bounce:

Björki
08-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Unger in 200m will be interesting for Germany! :yeah:

Then again we have three good pole vaulters, but Lobinger, Ecker and Börgeling are all chokers in the big events. :sad:
that's true :( hopefully they will prove us wrong this time :bounce:

Alvarillo
08-06-2005, 06:15 PM
2 Medals For ESPAÑA in the 1st Day
20 Km. Walk Race
Pakillo Fernandez (ESP) - Silver :worship: ;)
Juan M. Molina (ESP) - Bronze :bounce:

World Champion: Jefferson Perez (Ecuador) :worship:

3 Spanish Speakers - 3 Medals - LATIN POWERRR :clap2:

Choupi
08-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Kom Igen Klüft :bounce:
:wavey: Peggy! I pick the other one then...so allez Eunice! :bounce: ;)

TheBoiledEgg
08-06-2005, 08:03 PM
bad news........ Yelena Slesarenko didnt take part in the high jump :sad: :( :(

dunno if it had anything to do with her number "666"

Kajsa qualified ;) :hearts:
Anna Chicherova also ;)

Heja Carolina Kluft tomorrow ;)
long jump is gonna be vital.

Choupi
08-06-2005, 08:20 PM
bad news........ Yelena Slesarenko didnt take part in the high jump :sad: :( :(
It seems she's been injured during warming-up...that's what commentators said. Don't know more. :shrug:

Choupi
08-07-2005, 10:25 AM
After the long jump in heptathlon, Klüft is ahead of Barber, but the difference of points is tiny. I've got the feeling that it's gonna be thrilling and tight till the very end! Fun fun fun :bounce:

Papakori
08-07-2005, 01:05 PM
I didn't like the ladies 10,000m last night. The ethiopians 200m pace at the end :eek:The dibaba sisters were so strong

I really wanted Paula, Sun Yingjie or Huina Xing to win

I want Kim Collins to win 100m :D

the ladies triple jump final tonight :bounce: I want qiuyan huang or the cuban girl yargelis savigne to win

Björki
08-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I am confident Klüft will win :) Kom Igen.

TheBoiledEgg
08-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Carolina just needs to finish a sec behind Barber to win
but she's the better runner.

should win it :)

LOL@Sotherton's javelin :rolls:

mens 100m final today :yawn:
100m used to be a great event.

now there are no greats, its heavily tainted, and too many big-mouthed idiots (esp from US) who think they are better than everyone else.

Aphex
08-07-2005, 02:39 PM
:clap2: Heja Carro!

enqvistfan
08-07-2005, 02:45 PM
The final of the heptatlon will be great this evening, they are so close. Carolina and Eunice made great championships. They both deserve to be world champion !!!

Action Jackson
08-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Kom igjen Klüft, she'd have to be better over 800m and should win her title.

I love it the old man Lars Riedel has made another discus final, he won't win, but one of the few German athletes I like.

Action Jackson
08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
It seems she's been injured during warming-up...that's what commentators said. Don't know more. :shrug:

She tried to take a warm up jump and had no chance and didn't start the competition. There were a few surprises in that event.

Choupi
08-07-2005, 03:10 PM
I love it the old man Lars Riedel has made another discus final, he won't win, but one of the few German athletes I like.
Didn't he suffer from some back injury just before the WC? I've seen him interviewed yesterday, after the qualies. It was in German, but he has such an accent and the loudspeakers were partly covering his voice...so I've had some trouble getting what he was saying to Heike Drechsler (correct sp?...). What I have understood for sure is that given the situation (which one? the back injury?) he was very happy to reach the final.

Action Jackson
08-07-2005, 03:13 PM
mens 100m final today :yawn:
100m used to be a great event.

now there are no greats, its heavily tainted, and too many big-mouthed idiots (esp from US) who think they are better than everyone else.

Yes, well there has always been drugs in sprints and as for the 100m as long as an American doesn't win that is good.

Crawford calls himself "Cheetah Man", what a dickhead he is.

fabolous
08-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Didn't he suffer from some back injury just before the WC? I've seen him interviewed yesterday, after the qualies. It was in German, but he has such an accent and the loudspeakers were partly covering his voice...so I've had some trouble getting what he was saying to Heike Drechsler (correct sp?...). What I have understood for sure is that given the situation (which one? the back injury?) he was very happy to reach the final.
omg his terrible accent! even i have problems to understand him :haha: :haha:
yes he is very happy to reach the final with over 66 m (season best for him) and he wants to try for a medal. this guy is great, 38 years old, 8th world chmpionship and still able to compete.

Choupi
08-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Well thanks for pointing this out! I was starting to wonder if my German abilities were still worth! :D
yes he is very happy to reach the final with over 66 m (season best for him) and he wants to try for a medal. this guy is great, 38 years old, 8th world chmpionship and still able to compete.
I don't know much about him, because I'm not what you could call a fan of discus...but it's such a long time since I'm hearing his name when I'm watching athletics on tv...And knowing that he's 38 only adds to my admiration! :)

Action Jackson
08-07-2005, 04:00 PM

Lars is a cool guy even though he looks like Al Bundy from the TV series "Married with Children." Isn't he from Zwickau or somewhere like this?

Dreschler speaking English is interesting as well.

Choupi
08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Dreschler speaking English is interesting as well.
Heike speaks rather good French but I prefer when she speaks in English...that's easier for me to understand. That's always the case for German ppl who speak average French, that's pretty hard at first because of the influence of German pronunciation. But I say :yeah: for the effort made!

Well, we know now who's gonna have the right to compete for the crown of the 100m...I'm happy as well as disappointed. I so much wished Pognon to reach the final. But he's young, he's got time to improve. I was worried for Kim Collins, he's kinda reassured me. Though I fear he has hardly any chance of medal tonight. He's the one I'm gonna cheer for, together with Burns. Oh, don't repeat it but I prefer Kim when he has a beard, like he had yesterday! I know, nothing to do with the race but hey, who said it had to be only those kinds of comments? :p

Mutola has impressed me in the 800m semi. I have to admit I didn't expect her to reach the final. Glad that she's proven me wrong. :)

Choupi
08-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Congratulations Carolina for taking the gold and Eunice for the silver. Wrong tactic choice in the 800m for Eunice, which has been lethal to her. But special award to those 2 for their fairplay all through the competition. Seeing Carolina clapping her hands with the crowd, as Eunice was asking for some support before her last javelin throw must stay as an example! :p

MariaV
08-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Hehe, I just have to say it here - our young Gerd Kanter (I think he's 23 or smth) took silver in the discus competition. :woohoo: :yippee: :woohoo: :yippee: :woohoo: :yippee:
Virgilius Alekna from Lithuania was too good. I like to watch Alekna throw discus, usually it looks so smooth and beautiful. :hearts: He got scrared for a moment by Kanter's result but made a great final attempt. :D I'm happy with the outcome as Alekna deserved the title, he is also more experienced. Great competition. Just as the women't hepathlon. Congrats to Karolina Klüft. :D

enqvistfan
08-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Grattis Carolina and congrats to Eunice for her silver medal. Congrats to Collins for his third place in the 100 m :)

Choupi
08-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Collins did 3rd!!!!! :banana: A big thank you to him for making his bronze medal and his reaction of joy- as he told himself he was only a possible outsider when interviewed before the final!!!- with the so bright smile that makes me fall! :D

JBrocks
08-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Carolina :banana:
Riedel :sad:

Papakori
08-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Well done Kim for getting bronze!

Savigne got silver in triple jump :hearts: :hug: :smooch:

and well done Carolina :banana:

fabolous
08-07-2005, 07:07 PM
fantastic efforts from klüft, gatlin, alekna! a pleasure to watch! and kim collins, omg what a fighter he is :yeah: poor lars riedel, but we have other strong discus men, too :D

george, the "cheetah man" crawford didn't make the final ;)

Papakori
08-07-2005, 07:38 PM
I liked it at the end of the heptathlon when you felt the real sense of Camaraderie between the athletes and they posed for that picture:

http://www.iaaf.org/MultimediaFiles/Photo/Competitions/WorldChampionships/31081_W600XH400.jpg

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 04:42 AM
Gatlin well he was too good and Collins came through when least expected, which was good. Darrel Brown what a choker he is, just like Pognon, got to turn up at the big ones, it's easy enough to run in the races with no pressure. That's why I am disappointed Powell was not there, but Gatlin too good.

I am sad for Lars, but he has won so much and big Virgilius pulled out the huge throw when needed and Kanter was very happy and it's good that a small country like Estonia won something.

The Jamaican girl in the triple jump who jumped 14, 91 when 40cm behind the board, that was tough set of jumps and I see Lebedva pulled out. I almost missed that distinctive hair.

MariaV
08-08-2005, 07:02 AM
I am sad for Lars, but he has won so much and big Virgilius pulled out the huge throw when needed and Kanter was very happy and it's good that a small country like Estonia won something.

The Jamaican girl in the triple jump who jumped 14, 91 when 40cm behind the board, that was tough set of jumps and I see Lebedva pulled out. I almost missed that distinctive hair.
Thank you George, we're all happy to have the medal. :banana: :lol: :yippee:

The Russians said Lebedeva's injury that she got before the competition in Oslo had got really bad but she hopes to be able to compete in the next Golden League event as she still has chances to win the whole pot. :D
It's something with the ankle as I understood and really serious and it had to do with changing tracks or dunno how they call it in English (from softer to harder and vice versa I mean).

Choupi
08-08-2005, 07:22 AM
I wanna see Aaron take the gold tonight!:yippee:

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 07:48 AM

She's a French sprinter, she won't handle the pressure.

Björki
08-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Karolina :bounce:
what a pity about Lars Riedel

Choupi
08-08-2005, 08:19 AM
She's a French sprinter, she won't handle the pressure.
:nerner: I'll remind you of this when she'll have that medal around her neck!

Seriously, it's now or never for her. The evil psy has been fired and Christine feels very good. Just hope she'll finally turn that dream into reality. I've never been as confident. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. We'll see tonight. :)

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 08:24 AM
:nerner: I'll remind you of this when she'll have that medal around her neck!

Seriously, it's now or never for her. The evil psy has been fired and Christine feels very good. Just hope she'll finally turn that dream into reality. I've never been as confident. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. We'll see tonight. :)

She has failed and choked too many times and made too many excuses. She'll be just like Merlene Ottey a bridesmaid.

Papakori
08-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I am looking forward for the womens steeplechase final tonight. Docus Inzikuru to win because Uganda rarely get much success and Docus looked good in the heats, she was the fastest.

I wanna see Kim Gevaert or Muna Lee winning the 100m :bounce:

Choupi
08-08-2005, 09:14 AM
She has failed and choked too many times and made too many excuses. She'll be just like Merlene Ottey a bridesmaid.
Whatever happens, she'll prove 1 of us wrong tonight.

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Whatever happens, she'll prove 1 of us wrong tonight.

It won't be me.

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 09:23 AM
The Russians said Lebedeva's injury that she got before the competition in Oslo had got really bad but she hopes to be able to compete in the next Golden League event as she still has chances to win the whole pot. :D
It's something with the ankle as I understood and really serious and it had to do with changing tracks or dunno how they call it in English (from softer to harder and vice versa I mean).

Well, it's interesting how the lure of money can cure most injuries. Slesarenko and Lebedva both big chances in their respective events pulled out in the warm ups, very interesting to say the least.

JMG
08-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Zakari is also choking in the important races. :rolleyes:

Today it looks like a boring day, just good luck to Kajsa. :)

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Zakari is also choking in the important races. :rolleyes:

Today it looks like a boring day, just good luck to Kajsa. :)

Since when has Zakari ever been a favourite to win a major race?

SuperFurryAnimal
08-08-2005, 09:34 AM
The pride of a nation

http://www.nos.nl/nosstudiosport/images/0708_rutger_smith_anp_tcm45-184617.jpg

Rutger Smith (NED) won the silver medal in the men's shot put. We're all very proud of him! :yeah: We don't get that many medals in athletics, you know! ;)

Also great performances by Karin Ruckstuhl (eight place in heptathlon) and Simon Vroemen (3rd fastest qualifying time in 3000m steeple chase)!

Yoel and co.
08-08-2005, 09:34 AM

I don't...didn't like at all the way she spoke of the other athletes last week :(

SuperFurryAnimal
08-08-2005, 09:35 AM
I surely hope Kim Gevaert will be able to qualify for the women's 100m final and that eventually Chandra Sturrup will win it, ahead of Christine Arron! Good luck! :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I don't...didn't like at all the way she spoke of the other athletes last week :(

You are always going on against French sportspeople, even more than I do about Americans.

Choupi
08-08-2005, 09:46 AM
That's your right. :) But personally, I don't pay attention to what happens outside the race. If I was to frown each time a sport man or woman does or says sthg I don't appreciate, I would end supporting not many. How much would I miss!

Yoel and co.
08-08-2005, 09:48 AM
You are always going on against French sportspeople, even more than I do about Americans.

:confused: I like some French Tennis players - Grosjean, Gasquet

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 09:52 AM
:confused: I like some French Tennis players - Grosjean, Gasquet

I am not sure if it was you or another Isreali poster who was always whining about France and French sportspeople, if it wasn't you, then that's my mistake.

I actually like some American athletes, then again most people believe I am a nazi, so they wouldn't believe that there are American sportspeople that I do like.

Yoel and co.
08-08-2005, 10:02 AM
I am not sure if it was you or another Isreali poster who was always whining about France and French sportspeople, if it wasn't you, then that's my mistake.

Not me :)

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Not me :)

Good that was sorted out quickly.

Yoel and co.
08-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Brits meantime are having another bad time. Seems like Kelly Holmes will be very hard to replace

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Brits meantime are having another bad time. Seems like Kelly Holmes will be very hard to replace

They don't have the best of teams and I don't think there were many hopes for them in these champs.

Yoel and co.
08-08-2005, 10:50 AM
I heard a discusiion on Five Live last night about this and the word that kept coming up was "Transition" which is a codename to "We suck now big time"

Action Jackson
08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
I heard a discusiion on Five Live last night about this and the word that kept coming up was "Transition" which is a codename to "We suck now big time"

There are many events that are in transition especially the mens high jump, except the transition period has been for ages.

JMG
08-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Since when has Zakari ever been a favourite to win a major race?

He was no.2 for the bookies. And he has won some meetings.

Papakori
08-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Well done Docus for your gold!

First major medal at a championships for Uganda! :D

User ID 4783
08-08-2005, 06:48 PM
what a choker Arron is :rolleyes:

Choupi
08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Well that's not the colour I was wishing to see around Christine's neck but that's better than nothing. And Laura, I disagree. I call a chocker somebody who would have thrown away the race, which hasn't been the case. Congratulations to the winner of course, but thanks Christine for that bronze medal. :)

The one I really feel like strangling or worse :armed: is Mehdi Baala...He made a great 1st half and when the legs have become heavy, as for every other opponent, he looked around and saw that there were some ppl ahead. Instead of fighting, he's slowed down! He's given up, I can't believe it and I certainly can't accept it! :mad:

User ID 4783
08-08-2005, 07:04 PM
well yes she fought but she just can't win a big race, even though she seemed to be able to win after the heats
anyways she did not seem to be really confident of victory at the start...

Aphex
08-08-2005, 07:04 PM
:worship: Kajsa! Finally a big win outdoors. A couple of good tries at the world record. She will make it a warmer day.

:bigclap: Emma! My dad got pissed off when she almost made out with her boyfriend/coach though :lol:

:D Chanté Howard was also fun to watch.

:haha: Eunice Barber was being a sore loser all over the Swedish news about that long jump. It obviously slipped her mind that Carolina would have won anyway with her second best jump. Barber also complained about Klüft's behaviour. :confused: She was apparently too nice or something.

Aphex
08-08-2005, 07:12 PM
... thanks Christine for that bronze medal. :) ...

Thanks Christine for being hot :inlove: ;)
Shame she didn't win the gold.

TheBoiledEgg
08-08-2005, 07:30 PM
this was so great to see
Kajsa winning gold :woohoo: :hearts: :kiss: :drool:

fairytale comeback
well done baby :kiss: :smooch:

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7264/kajsacelebrates0yj.th.png (http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kajsacelebrates0yj.png)

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9282/kajsacelebrateswin8sf.th.png (http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kajsacelebrateswin8sf.png)

This made my day :dog: ;) :bigwave:

Choupi
08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks Christine for being hot :inlove: ;)
I suppose you're referring to Arron... :D
Shame she didn't win the gold.
Yes, sad. But that's just the way it was meant to be.

Aphex
08-08-2005, 07:39 PM
I suppose you're referring to Arron... :D

:confused: Is your name Christine too?

Choupi
08-08-2005, 07:57 PM
:confused: Is your name Christine too?
Well...yes! Arron and me do share the same 1st name. :)

Aphex
08-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Well... I guess I better do the :aplot: then :lol: :wavey:

Choupi
08-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Well... I guess I better do the :aplot: then :lol: :wavey:
Don't worry, I knew you could only be referring to Arron, speaking that way! :D

Papakori
08-08-2005, 08:29 PM

I wanted chanté to win but Kajsa was really good too and it was nice to see her win

SuperFurryAnimal
08-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Well done Kajsa, Chaunte and Emma at the high jump final! It was great to watch! :yeah: Also well done Tia Hellebaut from Belgium, for taking the sixth place! :)
What did you guys think of the women's 100m final? I really wanted Chandra Sturrup to win (I conclude from your messages Arron was the favourite for most of you). I was a bit surprised to see Lauryn Williams get the gold, though she was the best of the American runners all the way to the final. Great race by Veronica Campbell as well! :yeah: Not so surprising as the silver medal of her compatriot Michael Frater in the men's final though! (I really became a fan of him you know! I loved his sincere happiness for getting second! :D)

Björki
08-09-2005, 07:22 AM
well done Kajsa and Emma :)

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
He was no.2 for the bookies. And he has won some meetings.

Zakari has done nothing in major champs before and will continue to be like this.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 10:21 AM
:worship: Kajsa! Finally a big win outdoors. A couple of good tries at the world record. She will make it a warmer day.

:bigclap: Emma! My dad got pissed off when she almost made out with her boyfriend/coach though :lol:

Yes, what a great champs for the Swedes and they have a chance to take gold in the mens high jump as well.

Emma, a huge performance from here and the womens high jump was a good event considering the conditions.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Arron can keep losing big races, but she is still worth looking at, she will probably run a very good relay as usual.

:worship: :worship: Bekele. Sure he was favourite for the 10K, but having his fiancee die in his arms at the start of the year, must have been so hard to deal with, but he has done so well to recover from this tragedy.

Kajsa, finally a title and so soon after the operation on the achilles.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 10:59 AM
I just saw one of the funniest things in Helsinki, the winds change in that place so often, but check this out.

Heat 6 - Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 13:00 Wind: 4.3 m/s

Pos Athlete Country Mark React
1 Gay Tyson USA 19.99 Q 0.159
2 Jedrusinski Marcin POL 20.14 Q 0.158
3 Saidy Ndure Jaysuma GAM 20.14 Q 0.133
4 Emedolu Uchenna NGR 20.22 q 0.198
5 Wissman Johan SWE 20.26 q 0.191
6 Julius Leigh RSA 20.37 q 0.125
7 Hession Paul IRL 20.40 q 0.156

The whole field qualified for the next round.

Choupi
08-09-2005, 11:15 AM
OMG! I was ignoring that detail about Bekele...well, if it can be qualified a detail. How tragic!

I'm looking forward today mostly to the 3k steeplechase. I'd like to see how Bob Tahri will do. Not that I expect any medal, just curious to see if the stays he made in Kenya helped him. It was interesting to see a short clip about his last stay there. I can only imagine how lost he must have felt at first. Bob comes from Metz, which is very close to where I live. I know where he has spent his childhood. He summed up his life in Kenya as "Sleeping, eating, running". The simplest life! Just like an inside trip, a quest. I hope he has found what he was looking for.

The mens 400m hurdles will be sthg I won't miss. With Naman Keita. No medal expectation here neither from me.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
The commentators here said that they were on a training run and she collapsed, he carried her to the car, tried to get her to the hospital and she died.

http://www.ethiomedia.com/newpress/kenenisa_alem_techale_story.html

Death of Kenenisa's fiancée a shock for Ethiopians
By Steven Downes (Scotsman.com) Jan 9, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN THE midst of so much tragedy, the death of another teenager this week passed by almost unnoticed. Yet the girl who died was a world champion runner, aged only 18, who inexplicably dropped dead while on a routine training run with her fiancee.
Alem Techale was expected to be the next great distance talent off the Ethiopian production line. Two years ago, she won the world youth title at 1500m. In three months’ time, she was to marry her boyfriend, Kenenisa Bekele, probably the greatest distance runner of the moment, who has an Olympic gold medal and world records at 5,000m and 10,000m to prove it.

Bekele himself is only 22, but he is already a seven-time cross-country world champion. He was due to be the star turn in the televised Edinburgh cross-country international next weekend, though now his participation is in doubt, as he is understandably grief-stricken.

The circumstances of Techale’s death will have affected him deeply. The couple were out for a run in Ararat, a forest in a hilly area on the outskirts of Addis Ababa, on Tuesday morning when Techale collapsed. Bekele carried her to his car, but she died before they managed to get to hospital.

Her death has been ascribed in some reports to a heart attack, although despite the sudden circumstances of her demise, no postmortem was conducted before her burial on Wednesday - as autopsies remain uncommon, even among the Addis Ababa elite.

Thus, no-one will ever know the real cause of death of an otherwise apparently fit and healthy young woman.

There have been prominent "running deaths" in the past, most notably the American author Jim Fixx, who did so much to popularise jogging in the US until he keeled over on a run one day. But Fixx was in his fifties by the time he died and was also known to suffer from a congenital heart weakness.

"Techale had told some close friends about a month ago that she was suffering from some health problem. But it was never checked out," said Richard Nerurkar, the former British international runner who is an aid worker in Addis.

"There have been other cases in Ethiopia of relatively young, fit athletes dying suddenly, just as in the case of the Cameroonian footballer, Marc-Vivien Foe," Nerurkar said. "This might be something similar."

We may never know. Techale’s death has shocked Ethiopia, according to Amare Aregawi, editor of the English language daily, The Reporter. "When I heard the news with my family, we couldn’t believe it," Aregawi said. "When you look at pictures of her face it is amazing to think that she died.

"Everyone in Ethiopia was acquainted with her. When Kenenisa got his medal and posed for pictures she was with him. She was interviewed on television. We interviewed her and took her picture."

The absence of a postmortem has helped fuel speculation over Techale’s death. "People have started to speculate. There are always conspiracy theories in Ethiopia," Aregawi said. "We have very Shakespearean minds.

"People have started to say - how could she be running and then just die? But there is nothing behind these conspiracies. They are saying things like ‘maybe someone put something in her drink’. But there is nothing to back it up."

Aregawi repeats a phrase that has often been used in the past whenever the prodigious feats of some Kenyan runners have been questioned. "These runners, they come from rural areas," he said. "They don’t have an acquaintance with drugs like aspirin, let alone more serious drugs."

Which would be entirely true, were it not for the fact that Techale was very much part of Ethiopia’s running elite, who, together with Bekele and Haile Gebrselassie, spend half the year training at altitude in modest surroundings in their home country, but for the rest of the time are globetrotting professionals based in Holland near the offices of agent Jos Hermens, and receive all the physiological and medical back-up they need.

One expert who she is known to have used, is one of the most famous sports medicine experts in the world, Dr Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt, a Munich-based specialist. Reports from Ethiopia this week suggested that she had consulted him as recently as last September for knee and calf injuries, including treatment to a troublesome achille’s tendon problem.

Dr Mueller-Wohlfahrt has a worldwide reputation in sport, not only for a client list that has included Boris Becker, Jose-Maria Olazabal and Linford Christie, but also because of his somewhat extraordinary homeopathic remedies.

When Scotland defender Dominic Matteo’s knees began to creak too much, a flying visit to Mueller-Wohlfahrt’s Munich clinic saw him injected with juices from a turkey’s head. Others have reported how they have been given injections of enzymes and amino acid drawn from the foetuses of calves.

But many of Dr Mueller-Wohlfahrt’s treatments are shrouded in mystery. When Juergen Klinsmann was unable to play in the early stages of Euro 96, Dr Mueller-Wohlfahrt administered more than 20 injections to the player’s knee. Ultimately, Klinsmann lifted the trophy, but on being asked about the treatment he admitted: "I had no idea what was in any of the injections."

Mueller-Wohlfahrt has a long association with the German national team and Bayern Munich, going back more than 30 years, although allegations that he had the entire 1974 World Cup squad on anabolic steroids - two years before the drug was banned in sport - has prompted some to question his unorthodox methods.

Not Darren Gough, the England cricketer who claims he would not be able to play in this week’s tsunami charity match in Melbourne were it not for the doctor. "I’ve had four operations," he said. "Mueller-Wohlfahrt said if I’d come to him from the start, I wouldn’t have needed any of them.

"He looks after Ronaldo, Zidane, Michael Owen and Michael Jordan - all the big names. I know some people thought it might not be legal, but look at all the people he treats. Would they see him if they were going to fail drug tests? I’ve taken three drug tests and I’m fine. The guy knows exactly what he’s doing."

Yet Mueller-Wohlfahrt’s celebrity client list includes as many flops as it has miracle cures. For instance, days before her Olympic Marathon nightmare, Paula Radcliffe sought treatment from Mueller-Wohlfahrt for a secret groin injury, to no avail.

"To outsiders, my methods are unorthodox," Mueller-Wohlfahrt said in a rare interview seven years ago, "but I stand by my results." (Source: Scotsman.com; Jan 9, 2005)

Bekele's race future on hold as he grieves over fiancée
By Simon Turnbull, Athletics Correspondent
09 January 2005
A mournful shadow will be cast over the first major athletics event of the year in Britain, whether or not the grieving Kenenisa Bekele decides to travel from Ethiopia to run in the View From Great Edinburgh cross-country meeting in Holyrood Park next Saturday. Bekele, the International Association of Athletics Federations' reigning Male Athlete of the Year, was at home in Addis Ababa yesterday, still struggling to come to terms with the tragic sudden loss of his 18-year-old fiancée, Alem Techale, who collapsed and died while the couple were training in woods on the outskirts of the Ethiopian capital last Tuesday morning.
His racing plans have been placed on hold, although he has spoken with his manager, Jos Hermens, about still running in Edinburgh, possibly as a tribute to the girl he was due to marry in Addis Ababa on 8 May.

"Nova International, the meeting organisers, have been excellent with us," Hermens said. "They have not been pushing us for a decision. We have spoken about it, and one minute Kenenisa wants to run in Edinburgh and the next minute he does not. He has even talked about running round the course as a symbolic gesture, but I don't know if that's a good idea. I will talk to Nova and then talk to Kenenisa again and we will see how he is at the start of next week."

Hermens was back at his base at Nijmegen in Holland yesterday after travelling to Assela, 150 miles east of Addis Ababa, to attend Techale's funeral on Wednesday. Like Bekele, Techale was one of the international athletes represented by Hermens' company, Global Sports Communication. She missed the 2004 track season because of injury, but in July 2003 she became the first Ethiopian woman to secure a global 1500m title when she won at the IAAF World Youth Championships in Sherbrooke, Canada.

While Bekele has established himself, at 22, as the great new force of world distance running, Techale had been expected to break new ground for her country in the middle distances. "We are talking about the loss of an athlete as a person, not of an athlete as a performer," Hermens said. "That is the tragedy. A young life has been lost. It is difficult to say if it was heart failure or something to do with the brain. The Ethiopian doctors who performed the autopsy could find nothing. You ask yourself if you could do more in terms of testing, but Alem had a check-up in Holland last year. Sometimes you cannot forecast these things.

"Obviously, Kenenisa has been left devastated - even more so with the way it happened. At first we thought Alem had died on the way to hospital, but she actually died in the woods while Kenenisa was running to get his car. She passed away before he could get back to her. He took her to hospital but there was nothing he could do. To have your fiancée die in that way is a terrible thing.

"I've been with Kenenisa for two days and he's very quiet. He has not said much. It is difficult, because everything has happened so quickly. In Ethiopia the funerals are very soon afterwards - in this case the next day. He is mourning now, and he's contemplating whether to go abroad. He feels if he stays in Ethiopia it will take him forever to mourn, because everybody is watching him, to see what he does, to see how he reacts. At the moment, he needs a few more days to decide what to do next."

Bekele had already mapped out his racing plans for the first quarter of 2005: the 9km feature race in Edinburgh next Saturday; an indoor race in Boston on 29 January, which would be his debut in the United States; an attempt to break Haile Gebrselassie's indoor two-mile world record in Birmingham on 18 February; and the World Cross Country Championships at St Galmier in France on 19 and 20 March. It remains to be seen whether he will have the motivation to fulfil such a high-profile schedule or whether he will withdraw from the competitive spotlight for a period of contemplation.

Bekele has carried everything before him in the past 12 months, with the exception of the Olympic 5,000m final, in which he finished runner-up to Hicham El Guerrouj. That was his only loss in 2004, a year in which he relieved Gebrselassie of his Olympic 10,000m crown and his prized 5,000m and 10,000m world records, and in which he also completed a third successive long-course and short-course double at the World Cross Country Championships.

Clutching the World Athlete of the Year statuette he received in Monte Carlo last September, Bekele spoke of his hunger to "win many more prizes" but talked most animatedly of all when asked about the prospect of his marriage to Techale.

"She is not the lucky girl; I am the lucky man," he said. "We have not discussed anything about children yet, but I don't want her to be my housewife. I want her to run for her country and make a name for herself."

Sadly, that name will be as the world youth champion who was cruelly lost at such a youthful age.

(Source: The Independent : Jan 9, 2005; Photo credit: The Ethiopian Reporter ; Graphics: Ethiomedia.com)

Aphex
08-09-2005, 11:25 AM
I just saw one of the funniest things in Helsinki, the winds change in that place so often, but check this out.

Heat 6 - Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 13:00 Wind: 4.3 m/s

Pos Athlete Country Mark React
1 Gay Tyson USA 19.99 Q 0.159
2 Jedrusinski Marcin POL 20.14 Q 0.158
3 Saidy Ndure Jaysuma GAM 20.14 Q 0.133
4 Emedolu Uchenna NGR 20.22 q 0.198
5 Wissman Johan SWE 20.26 q 0.191
6 Julius Leigh RSA 20.37 q 0.125
7 Hession Paul IRL 20.40 q 0.156

The whole field qualified for the next round.

:lol: If you have an immature sense of humour, like me, you know what's funny with that list.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 11:26 AM
:lol: If you have an immature sense of humour, like me, you know what's funny with that list.

Speaking of Swedes is the man Jimi Laursen in the 400m again?

Aphex
08-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Men's pole vault was also entertaining for the wrong reasons. :lol:

Aphex
08-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Speaking of Swedes is the man Jimi Laursen in the 400m again? I think only in the 4x400m relay.

So what's the deal with former Norwegian stars as Ingrid Christiansen, Hanne Haugland and Steinar Hoen appearing as experts all the time on Swedish TV?

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Men's pole vault was also entertaining for the wrong reasons. :lol:

I missed the morning sessions mostly, but get highlights of them and then see the night one live.

Eunice complaining about Klüft that is a big no-no.

JMG
08-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Pitkämäki :rocker2:

Lobinger :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 11:35 AM
I think only in the 4x400m relay.

So what's the deal with former Norwegian stars as Ingrid Christiansen, Hanne Haugland and Steinar Hoen appearing as experts all the time on Swedish TV?

If I knew that I would have asked you to record the Swedish commmentary for me.

They should get Sjöberg and Hoen in the box that would be fun.

Norwegian athletics is crap and maybe the Swedes can give them more money.

Choupi
08-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Eunice complaining about Klüft that is a big no-no.
Instead of complaining, for obviously no reason, she'd better focus on the long jump, to qualify first for the final, and then, try to win the right colour of medal this time! :)

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Instead of complaining, for obviously no reason, she'd better focus on the long jump, to qualify first for the final, and then, try to win the right colour of medal this time! :)

They only how to choke in the big ones. I mean look at Bala, he ran like a muppet my 17yo cousin could have almost beaten him on that effort in the semi.

Aphex
08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
If I knew that I would have asked you to record the Swedish commmentary for me.

They should get Sjöberg and Hoen in the box that would be fun.

Norwegian athletics is crap and maybe the Swedes can give them more money.
Swedish TV commentators suck mostly. Maybe there are some radio broadcasts on the web? They should be better.

Actually Sjöberg tried that gig and blew it in 97. He almost said nothing and when he did it was boring. He's chasing birds in Recife, Brasil nowadays together with the Ace of Base nazi, Ulf Ekberg.

You still have the javelin.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Swedish TV commentators suck mostly. Maybe there are some radio broadcasts on the web? They should be better.

Actually Sjöberg tried that gig and blew it in 97. He almost said nothing and when he did it was boring. He's chasing birds in Recife, Brasil nowadays together with the Ace of Base nazi, Ulf Ekberg.

You still have the javelin.

Yes, Thorkildsen qualified and hopefully he can qualify. I saw an English interview with him, he speaks American English better than most Americans.

Thanks for sport magazine and the whole Sjöberg the playboy and I read he was in Brasil, yes it's funny cause I don't think Sjöberg was racist at all, but Ekberg I think I will talk about that in the Swedish thread.

How are Haugland, Hoen and Kristiansen as commentators?

Aphex
08-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, Thorkildsen qualified and hopefully he can qualify. I saw an English interview with him, he speaks American English better than most Americans.

Thanks for sport magazine and the whole Sjöberg the playboy and I read he was in Brasil, yes it's funny cause I don't think Sjöberg was racist at all, but Ekberg I think I will talk about that in the Swedish thread.

How are Haugland, Hoen and Kristiansen as commentators?

I think Sjöberg and Ekberg are Göteborg playboys thet's why they're together. Sjöberg was/is friends with Sotomayor and he dated a black Cuban long jumper for a while, so I don't think he's racist.

Christiansen and Hoen were good. Haugland's dialect was kinda hard to get. She cried tears of joy when Kajsa won and Emma took bronze. That was a little bit strange, honestly.

Choupi
08-09-2005, 12:10 PM
They only how to choke in the big ones. I mean look at Bala, he ran like a muppet my 17yo cousin could have almost beaten him on that effort in the semi.
Baala, another one I feel like :armed: he has the talent, he has the means, but not the mental. Do all French competitors suffer the same disease? :confused: They lack asskicking!!!! I'm available if they're looking for someone... :devil:

Djhone hasn't qualified, but this was expected. He told himself his preparation wasn't over and he even thought about not competing. At least one who is honest! Otherwise, I would have written the 400m on my list today!

Barber is a fighter, but she has to focus now on the long jump. And only 2 days after the end of heptathlon, I suppose it's hard for all those who still have the heavy legs...

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I think Sjöberg and Ekberg are Göteborg playboys thet's why they're together. Sjöberg was/is friends with Sotomayor and he dated a black Cuban long jumper for a while, so I don't think he's racist.

Christiansen and Hoen were good. Haugland's dialect was kinda hard to get. She cried tears of joy when Kajsa won and Emma took bronze. That was a little bit strange, honestly.

Sotomayor has his own salsa band now and yes Patrik is a big playboy and if it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be all the Swedish high jumpers coming through now.

Haugland is from Haugesund and they have an interesting dialect there and she was going out with Håkan Sarnblom the 2nd best jumper after Hoen. Perhaps Hanne likes Kajsa, then again she wouldn't be the first. :)

Yoel and co.
08-09-2005, 12:25 PM
What went wrong with the pole vault?

Papakori
08-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I thought the mens 400m good today,

looks like the brits are finally getting some luck, Tim Benjamin of Britain was the quickest being the only to run sub-45 seconds. He was even quicker than Wariner the olympic Champion!

bad gambler
08-09-2005, 01:46 PM
wariner will win, he is a class above everyone else

Papakori
08-09-2005, 02:03 PM
wariner will win, he is a class above everyone else
Yes, I think he will too he has only lost once this yearin Crystal Palace where he was beaten in an exciting race to Benjamin but I think Wariner will win anyhow

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Felix Sanchez making the final with a fractured foot, what a warrior he is and the 3k steeple should be good as long as someone who still wants to represent Kenya wins then all the better and not one of the money athletes running for Qatar.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-09-2005, 03:49 PM
:haha: Its actually pissing it down in Finland, no athletics on atm!!!

MariaV
08-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Gee guys. What a weather in Helsinki! :eek: I wonder if there'll be any competition tonight.
Here in Tallinn, 80 km across the Baltic Sea, it doesn't rain yet. But the winds have been strong the whole day and ships are not going out to the sea.

Choupi
08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I was wondering why we were granted the replay of what has taken place this morning...I just came back home, well, to be more precise, I rushed back home from the garden, just to not miss the 3k steeple and I've been surprised to see the heats of the 200m! I was about to insult Eurosport, once again, but it seems that this time, they're innocent! :)

Too sad, I really wanted to see some live events. :sad:

MariaV
08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Christine, it's thunderstorm down there. :eek: And they had a power failure at the stadium as far as I understood. So we'll see what happens next. I'm enjoying Moya-Nadal btw. :D :drool: :hearts:

MariaV
08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Attention, the competitions in Helsinki started again. :D

Choupi
08-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the good news, after the bad one! I can go back to the tv set...I was desperate...See you later! :wavey:

Choupi
08-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Shaheen is amazing! :eek: But anyway, Bob did a good race. I'm satisfied. :)

And Maria Mutola :worship: though this was probably the last time we see her in international meetings :sad:

Papakori
08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Zulia got gold in 800m :yippee:

Dai Tamesue got bronze in 400mh which I thought was one of the best races of the evening :worship:

Sad Sanchez was injured though :sad:

Choupi
08-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Sad Sanchez was injured though :sad:
Yes, that was sad indeed. Even more when you know that he was injured before running and that he made the decision to run anyway...Worse, he's had to leave during the final that he had reached, being injured...

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Cherono won again in the steeple that was to be expected, but the whole trade of buying athletes with money isn't a good trend.

Should be some more athletics tonight, just hope the rain can stay away.

SuperFurryAnimal
08-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Some great results yesterday, despite the weather! Well done Simon Vroemen for finishing fifth in the 3000m steeple chase! :yeah: He was best non-African (I count Shaheen as an African as well), best European! I'm very proud of him! :worship:

Then we had the great race in the 400m hurdles, with the really funny Bershawn Jackson as a winner, and a magnificent 3rd place for Dai Tamesue! :yeah: Too bad for Felix Sanchez he got injured though. :awww:

And a great win on the 800m for Zulya Calatayud, though she didn't show us she was happy with it afterwards. But that's probably a cultural thing..? :)

Well done for Rens Blom to qualify in the hilarious pole vault competition! :yeah: And good luck Eugène Martineau in the decathlon! :D

Did anyone see the amazingly funny Samoan guy Sola Shaka in the javelin qualies? :lol:

Choupi
08-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Many interesting things to see today, but, lacking time, I'll focus mostly on the Women long jump final and on the heats of 110m hurdles. :)

MariaV
08-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Did anyone see the amazingly funny Samoan guy Sola Shaka in the javelin qualies? :lol:
LOL Patrice, I saw it on video at night, what a funny guy! :lol:

Some great results yesterday, despite the weather! Well done Simon Vroemen for finishing fifth in the 3000m steeple chase! He was best non-African (I count Shaheen as an African as well), best European! I'm very proud of him! :worship:
That was really well done! :yeah:
And good luck Eugène Martineau in the decathlon! :D
I hope for a medal from Kristjan Rahnu for Estonia in decathlon. :D

SuperFurryAnimal
08-10-2005, 09:08 AM
I hope for a medal from Kristjan Rahnu for Estonia in decathlon. :D

I hope it with you! :yeah: Eugène Martineau is too far behind to get a medal, so it would be great to see Rahnu on the podium! Gold and silver are given, so bronze would be the best he can get. That would really be great!

How do you say 'good luck' in Estonian? ;)

JMG
08-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Friedek :sad:

The former world champion missed the qualifying again. You can hardly call it triple jump what he did.

MariaV
08-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I hope it with you! :yeah: Eugène Martineau is too far behind to get a medal, so it would be great to see Rahnu on the podium! Gold and silver are given, so bronze would be the best he can get. That would really be great!

How do you say 'good luck' in Estonian? ;)
Thanks Patrice. :D I know Martineau is too far behind.
And just for you Patrice: ÕNN KAASA! But don't ask me how to pronounce it. :lol:
How's 'good luck' in Dutch?

SuperFurryAnimal
08-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks Patrice. :D I know Martineau is too far behind.
And just for you Patrice: ÕNN KAASA! But don't ask me how to pronounce it. :lol:
How's 'good luck' in Dutch?

ÕNN KAASA, Kristjan Rahnu! :woohoo:
Good luck in Dutch is SUCCES! Or you can also say ZET 'M OP! :yeah:

I am happy! Marjolein de Jong, from my hometown Alkmaar, is through to the semis in the 400m hurdles event! Well done!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Björki
08-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Good luck to: Danny Ecker, Tim Lobinger, Lars Börgeling and Patrik Kristiansson :bounce:

Choupi
08-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Don't be surprised if you see French athletes wearing some black stuff. They wanna pay their personal tribute to Colette Besson, who died yesterday after fighting cancer for several years. She was 59 and had been Olympic Champion in Mexico in 68 at 400m...

MariaV
08-10-2005, 11:47 AM
ÕNN KAASA, Kristjan Rahnu! :woohoo:
Good luck in Dutch is SUCCES! Or you can also say ZET 'M OP! :yeah:

I am happy! Marjolein de Jong, from my hometown Alkmaar, is through to the semis in the 400m hurdles event! Well done!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Oh, SUCCES to Marjolein de Jong in the semis then! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

MariaV
08-10-2005, 07:14 PM
OMIGOSH people!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Andrus Värnik won GOLD in javelin ahead of the Olympic champion Andreas Thorkildsen (Norway). :eek: :eek: I am sooooooo happy, OMIGOSH!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :yippee: :bigclap: :banana: I hoped for a medal but I never thought that it would be gold. At the last World Championships in Paris he took silver btw. :D
Here's one pic of him, if you want pics from tonights competition I can post them later. But now I'm off to celebrate! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!
http://g.delfi.ee/images/pix/file10461858_I8001TH10MAY04X009V_rnik.jpg

P.S. Sorry that Eunice Barber only got bronze Christine. :hug: :hug:

JMG
08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Pitkämäki... Why did that happen? :sad::sad::sad:

What a shame! I will watch more meetings now though to see him.

MariaV
08-10-2005, 07:18 PM

Nerves and pressure perhaps. :shrug:

Björki
08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
poor Pitkämäki :(

Choupi
08-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Hey Maria, congrats for that gold medal! I've thought of you, watching Värnik win the javelin throw...As for Eunice, well, she could have done much better, but it wasn't the day and that young Tianna was too good!!!! :eek: She had never come to Europe, except for the meeting in Stockholm...She has talent and potential. We'll see her again, I'm sure.

I'm sad for Linda Ferga-Khodadin, because she fell after the 1st hurdle. She said she had felt some pain during the warm-up in the Achille and that the pain has suddenly risen at the beginning of the race. Seeing her, taken away from the place on a stretcher was really sad... :sad:

And Ramzi is the right successor of Hicham... :)

Corinna
08-10-2005, 08:08 PM

What a shame! I will watch more meetings now though to see him.
it's a pity for him :sad:

roman sebrle :sobbing: that's so sad!!

User ID 4783
08-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I feel sorry for all the Finnish fans who wanted a medal tonight :awww:

Papakori
08-10-2005, 08:15 PM
So much rain today :eek:

Poor Felicien didn't qualify for the final of the hurdles. I like Perdita but she hasn't been on best form since that incident at the Olympics last year.

The 400m final, I felt for Sanya Richards because she really wanted the gold. Tonique Williams-Darling was cool too and at the end she was going "Oh my god!" "Thankyou" :worship:

Tianna Madison :hearts:

MariaV
08-10-2005, 08:42 PM
OK, here are 2 pics of Andrus Värnik from today's competition. :woohoo: :banana: :wavey:

Aphex
08-10-2005, 08:52 PM
:lol: Eunice! :worship:

She did it again. If you remember the long-jump of Klüft this Sunday when the toe looked to touch the plasticine but didn't leave a mark. Then Barber called the officials cheaters, jokingly first but later more seriously.

Tonight she had a jump which was of exactly the same nature, her toe looking to touch the plasticine etc. It was allowed. When confronted on Sw TV, this time the answer was "I don't know"...
:haha:

She's truly the most entertaining character in these champs so far. Always honest to a fault. I hope she comes to the Euro Champs in Göteborg next year. Somebody has to stand up against the Miss Always Nice On the Surface Robot but boycotting critical newpapers Klüft (although I like gold for Sweden)

Choupi
08-11-2005, 06:30 AM
You like strong characters Aphex! :D It's true that with Eunice, you never really know what to expect...either you love her, or you hate her, but for sure you can't stay indifferent! :) Awwwwww Eunice, if she didn't exist, we should invent her... ;)

Action Jackson
08-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Congratulations to Andrus Värnik for winning Estonia's first ever gold medal and the fact that it was in Finland makes it even better and good for him.

Well done Andreas he'll be in the sport for a long time as long as he doesn't believe his own hype and he loved the moment and threw a very good series of throws, but didn't get the one that counted.

SuperFurryAnimal
08-11-2005, 07:53 AM
OMIGOSH people!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Andrus Värnik won GOLD in javelin ahead of the Olympic champion Andreas Thorkildsen (Norway). :eek: :eek: I am sooooooo happy, OMIGOSH!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :yippee: :bigclap: :banana: I hoped for a medal but I never thought that it would be gold. At the last World Championships in Paris he took silver btw. :D
Here's one pic of him, if you want pics from tonights competition I can post them later. But now I'm off to celebrate! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!
http://g.delfi.ee/images/pix/file10461858_I8001TH10MAY04X009V_rnik.jpg

Congratulations Maria! Wow, the first gold medal ever in an athletics worldchampionship for Estonia, right!? That's fantastic! :yeah: I am very happy for you and your country! :hug: I hope Estonia will get some more medals! :)

SuperFurryAnimal
08-11-2005, 07:55 AM
I am also very happy this lady won...

http://partner.soneraplaza.fi/stt/200x200_23347048.jpg

Tonique Williams-Darling! A true champion in my opinion! :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Watch Arron run a top semi final in the 200m and fail to come through again, it seems Hurtis is missing and then again she could do well it's not her favourite event.

This when Thorkildsen and Tero were together in Oslo.

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/4/43/439/439826/tero.jpg

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/4/43/439/439826/atoppe.jpg

Björki
08-11-2005, 08:10 AM
André Niklaus :yeah: great result :clap2:
http://www.ndr.de/la2005/disziplinen/images/sl_niklaus_happy_320.jpg

Choupi
08-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Watch Arron run a top semi final in the 200m and fail to come through again, it seems Hurtis is missing and then again she could do well it's not her favourite event.
I don't expect her to win a medal in the 200m. I'll be satisfied with her making the final. It'll be enough for me. I prefer her to focus on the relay. :)

The French one I'm expecting much today is Doucouré. I want him to reach the final and I have some medal expectancies for him.

Baala will run the 800m, after his failure at the 1500m, I don't even know if I'm gonna watch those heats.

MariaV
08-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Congratulations to Andrus Värnik for winning Estonia's first ever gold medal and the fact that it was in Finland makes it even better and good for him.
Thanks George, that was a sweet victory for Andrus indeed! D LOL, I cannot work today. ;) Poor Finns will remember him for a veeery veeery long time now. It was awesome atmosphere at the stadium despite the horrible weather, and I feel sorry for the Finns that they didn't get the so highly awated medal.

Well done Andreas he'll be in the sport for a long time as long as he doesn't believe his own hype and he loved the moment and threw a very good series of throws, but didn't get the one that counted.
Thorkildsen had a good series of throws indeed. :yeah: He and Pitkämäki will be around for a long time I hope. :D

JMG
08-11-2005, 09:22 AM
I hope Boris Henry will be back. One of the coolest athletes there. This other German in javelin was ridiculous.

Action Jackson
08-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks George, that was a sweet victory for Andrus indeed! D LOL, I cannot work today. ;) Poor Finns will remember him for a veeery veeery long time now. It was awesome atmosphere at the stadium despite the horrible weather, and I feel sorry for the Finns that they didn't get the so highly awated medal.

Now Andrus can have nearly any girl in Estonia with this success. The Finns will be fine, I mean they had one of the greatest ever performances in the javelin, the last time they had the WC, when Lillak threw it 70m and won on the last throw and that was the most emotions Finns ever showed was on that night.

All of the Finnish world champs from yesteryear.

http://www.iaaf.org/MultimediaFiles/Photo/Competitions/WorldChampionships/30831_W600XH400.jpg

Lillak, Kononen, Essayah, Kinnunen, and the big man Seppo Räty.

its.like.that
08-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Kotova truly is one of the most successful bridesmaids, somehow she always manages to get knocked off by some fluke. :lol:

its.like.that
08-11-2005, 10:25 AM
does anyone know why gregorio is now favourite in the mens triple jump?

something wrong with oprea?

fabolous
08-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Tonique! :inlove: :hearts: great performance! and what i always wanted to say: i just love her hair!!!

today is the day for tobias unger, the only white man in the 200m final. GO TOBI!! he studies at the same university where i do :bounce:

JMG
08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
does anyone know why gregorio is now favourite in the mens triple jump?

something wrong with oprea?

I think he said something in an interview about a little injury, but I'm not sure.

Papakori
08-11-2005, 11:50 AM
he studies at the same university where i do :bounce:
Have you ever met Tobi before? :D

It would be good for him to do well in the 200 today, I hope he does

MariaV
08-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Now Andrus can have nearly any girl in Estonia with this success. The Finns will be fine, I mean they had one of the greatest ever performances in the javelin, the last time they had the WC, when Lillak threw it 70m and won on the last throw and that was the most emotions Finns ever showed was on that night.

LOL, you know the Finns have shown that Lillak's throw on TV like 5 times every day since the World Championships started. :lol: That's THE moment for all the Finns from 1983 World Championships. I also remember that throw and the emotions very well. :D
Too bad they might be left without a medal this time but sure they'll be fine. :)

bad gambler
08-11-2005, 01:07 PM
williams-darling :worship:

Sandra
08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
tonight Marian in the triple final :woohoo:

Sandra
08-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Just a chance for someone to win while Christian Olsson is out.
:mad: :mad: :mad: No ofence but did you see Marian compete this year????How can you say that?He beat Olssons greatest performance and won everything besides the super gp in Swedem coz he was injuried.And why do you think Olsson doesnt compete anymore?coz he wants to retire while he is good and he knows he has no chance against Marian so he decicded not to compete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Aphex
08-11-2005, 07:50 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: No ofence but did you see Marian compete this year????How can you say that?He beat Olssons greatest performance and won everything besides the super gp in Swedem coz he was injuried.And why do you think Olsson doesnt compete anymore?coz he wants to retire while he is good and he knows he has no chance against Marian so he decicded not to compete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
For your information, Christian Olsson hasn't retired, he's injured. He had an operation again a month or so ago and will be out for rest of the season. But don't worry, he'll be back next year. Then we'll see if he can beat World bronze medallist Oprea in the Euros. And it's not like Christian has won every triple-jump meet in the past, it's just that he's at his best in the championships. When it counts the most.

Choupi
08-11-2005, 09:31 PM
If I am right, Olsson has had surgery on his Achilles tendon...which is sthg more than serious Sandra. I just hope he'll be able to get fit again to come back to competition...

Well, 4 Americans in the final of the 200m and who take the 4 1st places...pretty rare but I have to admit that race hasn't thrilled me.

Arron making the final of the 200m, qualifying with the best time...hmmm...let's see how it goes. But I have a favour to ask Christine. If you should do your best and by chance ;) win a medal, please, make it the gold one. Because all those 200m races take your energy from your preparation to the relay in which you're also more than awaited!!!!

And joke of the day: Baala qualifying in the 800m after spoiling all his chances in the 1500m, his usual race. Pffff...the world has gone crazy! At least the one in which he's living! ;)

fabolous
08-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Dietzsch won the first gold for germany :worship: :worship: but bolm and unger were a little bit disappointing. and lobinger....well i didn't expect anything, he is quite a choker for the big events. :rolleyes:

its.like.that
08-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Dietzsch won the first gold for germany :worship: :worship: but bolm and unger were a little bit disappointing. and lobinger....well i didn't expect anything, he is quite a choker for the big events. :rolleyes:

Coria and Canas share the same pharmacist.

its.like.that
08-12-2005, 12:45 AM
tonight Marian in the triple final :woohoo:

poor Marian :sad:

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 06:53 AM

You don't have much of a clue do you? Olsson is injured and will be back for the Euros next year in his hometown and has not retired. He only really turns up to compete at the big champs, where the real business gets sorted out.

Marian wasn't good enough when it counted.

Choupi
08-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Today's another big one...for me at least! I so much would like to see Arron with another medal, and Doucouré with gold! I hope Ladji will prove that theory of French sportsmen and women choking at the last minute...totally wrong! :)

Christine will have a very busy schedule...200m final and 1.30h later, the heats of the 4x100m relay... :confused: I hope she'll be fine.

MariaV
08-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Congrats to Patrice and all the Dutchies! :hug: Now you have a gold medal too! :D Well done Rens Blom in the pole vault! :yeah:

Btw, George 'the professor' was right as usual, Estonia got its first athletics World Championships' gold ever. :)

JMG
08-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Christine will have a very busy schedule...200m final and 1.30h later, the heats of the 4x100m relay... :confused: I hope she'll be fine.

Why should she run in the heats? Isn't it enough to let her run the final?