Henman is it over??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Henman is it over???

skel1983
08-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I think Tim Henman should retire at the end of the season, next year i feel he will tumble down the rankings i feel between 50 and 100 his game has gone, not only that his attitude, in an interview he did after his defeat to Moodie he said HE WAS HAPPY, i mean this guy needs to look in the mirror, he went on about he has been out for a while and was happy with his returning performance. Does that sound like a guy who is 13th in the world, i would be going crazy if i had been beaton by a guy such as Moodie, i think henman is on a downward spiral in a big way, he is getting beaton comfortably by guys who just wouldn't have a chance a couple of years ago what do you think.

Nimomunz
08-03-2005, 12:22 PM
he has family thats what happens different things start to make you happy!!

Papakori
08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
hmm, it is quite sad to see Tim fall like this. I think he has grown stale now, I wonder if he will retire soon :confused:

1sun
08-03-2005, 12:30 PM
its funny. tim had his best year only last year, is 13 in the world, and people are sayin reite retire retire. ok hes had bad form of late but every player goes through it. let the man do wot he feels is good for him.

skel1983
08-03-2005, 12:36 PM
I love Henman don't get me wrong but the guy has not made a semi all year, he is currently 13 in the world but come the end of the year i think it's more likely going to be around 30, i mean it is a bit premature to talk retirement i agree, but i don't want to see tim this time next year having to qualify for TMS and things like that, but the signs are there, i think he will give it one more year because of Wimbledon he doesn't want to leave it with a second round loss to Tursanov. We will wait and see.

Dragan
08-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Tim Henman is the best tennis player that GBR has ever produced, Most people in the UK consider him a failure? That is so funny, the guy has reached Wimbledon semis, FO and US Open, yet you look at the guys who won the slams over the years ie Federer, Hewitt and Sampras then you can see that it was almost impossible. Tim is always gracious in defeat and that is corageous, never does he blame injuries, slow courts or socks like some people (Murray). 2 years ago TIm was down and out but made a hell of a comeback to win the Paris Masters and prove everyone wrong. He will be back.

avocadoe
08-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Tim(e) will tell. The English media are odd sots...they are always hemming and hawing and defeatist in the xtreme when it comes to sports. (NCIC) National Culinary Inferiority Complex. Its because of the old cooking style, boiled meat, displaced on its athletes :)

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Dragan the Djokob!tch supporter:rolleyes:

gooner88
08-03-2005, 02:11 PM
It was always going to be tough for Tim to repeat last year's great performances, however I didin't expect it to be this bad.
Tim's still got a few more years in him. Some results on the hardcourts and a good indoor season is what he needs. I hope he can finish the year in the Top 20.

star
08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
I think Tim should keep on working at his job and making money for as long as he he wants.

Everyone is saying people should retire just because their careers are no longer on the upswing, but that's how it goes. There's an arc to most careers. Also most tennis players are the heads of their own small businesses and want to make as much money as they possibly can during their earning years.

I think how much I would have missed watching Jonas Bjorkman all these years if he had decided that he was going to retire because he realized he would never again reach his one time high ranking of #4.

skel1983
08-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Jonas Bjorkman is not in the same league as Tim Henman, it's nothing to do with money if Henman was say 80th in the world he would earn around $150,00 for the year he probably makes that in intrest a week, so don't be stupid it's nothing to do with money, i'll guarantee if Henman fell that low we would not see him around much longer.

And as for Dragon he always has to make an argument out of everything, everytime, we are making a point that is very easy to see Henman came back from injury, when he was 28 he is about to turn 31 and he is getting beat by players consistantly now which he would rarley get beat by, iv'e said all along Henman has overachieved he has done Britain proud but i don't want to see him go backwards in a big way in a short space of time.

TheBoiledEgg
08-03-2005, 04:02 PM
it wont have any affect on Bailey
he's already creaming off to Murray.

LaTenista
08-03-2005, 06:01 PM
This is a high-brow attempt at trolling. How would you like it if someone tried to say your career was over after two bad performances?

skel1983
08-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Two bad performances???? he has been playing inconsistantly since after the us open last year minus his efforts in the Masters cup, so it's not as if i'm saying it's over after two matches ( i presume you mean Tursonov and Moodie) Tim would be the first to admit that the signs are there, you would never dream of him being beaton at Wimbledon by Tursanov, i mean he was lucky to beat Nieminen (excuse the spelling!!) who can just about walk on grass never mind play tennis on it, so i feel if Tims preformance's dont improve i feel this time next year we will see him for the last few times. It's not about money for Tim like i said previously it's about pride.

LaTenista
08-04-2005, 12:45 PM
When Henman gets bagelled by someone 600-something in the world, I think this thread might have some merit. All of the players you just mentioned can be quite dangerous for various reasons so yes it is disheartening to see Tim lose to or just barely scrape by these opponents but getting back to the overall picture of his career it could be a whole lot worse - at least he hasn't lost 21 matches in a row like Spadea did.

I believe Tim himself has said he'd like to play to at least age 35, a few years off methinks. ;)

Jim Jones
08-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Heman should have played at Newport where the field was generally weak and where it was played on grass. The surface was faster then at Wimbledon and players could serve & volley. If Rusedski can win the title so can Henman.

star
08-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Jonas Bjorkman is not in the same league as Tim Henman, it's nothing to do with money if Henman was say 80th in the world he would earn around $150,00 for the year he probably makes that in intrest a week, so don't be stupid it's nothing to do with money, i'll guarantee if Henman fell that low we would not see him around much longer.

And as for Dragon he always has to make an argument out of everything, everytime, we are making a point that is very easy to see Henman came back from injury, when he was 28 he is about to turn 31 and he is getting beat by players consistantly now which he would rarley get beat by, iv'e said all along Henman has overachieved he has done Britain proud but i don't want to see him go backwards in a big way in a short space of time.

It's fine to state what you want to see, but it has nothing to do with what Henman himself wants. I do try not to be stupid, but it seems that unless I agree with you my feeble attempts will fail. :lol: :lol:

Henman's income from endorsements is likely at least in part dependent on his playing tennis. So, I see income from playing tennis including endorsement income as well as prize money.

If Henman wants to play challengers when he is forty years old, that's fine with me. It's totally about what satifies him.

To me it's perfectly ok to say you WANT him to retire, but to say he SHOULD retire is sort of :retard:

bobjoe66
08-04-2005, 01:18 PM
not sure about retiring but its really annoying to hear anyone say they are happy after losing, look at a guy like coria or other clay courters they are angry about making an unforced error let alone losing a match.

tim clearly isnt bothered about small tournaments though just preparing for bigger ones and unfortunately i feel this well backfire as he won't do that well because a)less match practise and b) he is probably past his peak anyway.

Black Adam
08-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Maybe Tim should try doubles...........his net game is the best right now;)

bavaria100
08-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Certainly it has been a rough year for Tim, but to say that he should retire is a little bit over the top IMO. Tim has lost against Moodie but thatīs nothing to be ashamed of. I saw Wesley during DC this year and that guy can play. He was leading 2-0 sets versus Kiefer and defeated Haas in 5 sets. That guy has an unbelievable serve (I think he hit over 60 aces during those two matches) and he can play good from the baseline. Maybe Tim can step it up during the 2 TMS events and the US Open. He still has a chance to finish the year in the top 20, although it wonīt be easy to close the gap of 42 points.

PinkFeatherBoa
08-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Tim should absolutely retire. The shame of LOSING to that hack wesley moddie and that tursunovovovov, and then after losing to wesley being happy ? Whatever Tim, ya big loser.

Deejay
08-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Funny, I was going to start the exact same thread the other day...Yes its to early to start talking retirement but its hard to see henman being a consistent challenger at tournaments from now on(its debatable that he ever was apart from wimbles). Ever since the us open last year, his play has lacked thought/direction and has looked weak against even the poorest of opponents - he cant be tired as he hasnt played that much tennis this year so it must be his game thats letting him down. The stuff he comes out with after defeats has always been baffling especially what he said after losing to moodie. 'I have been building foundation in my game' - whatever that means tim! With all this being said tim stated the other day that he wants to play on for another 3-4 years! Unfortunatly, he isnt on agassi's level and wont last out till hes 35 thats for sure...

skel1983
08-05-2005, 11:56 AM
totally agree Deejay i've been looking into his win/loss record since his suprising semi appearance at us open last year, so everyboby who has been saying don't write him off after two defeats need to look into his results a bit deeper since us open 04.

Won 26 Lost 18
Compared to other players around his current ranking it is very ordinary indeed

Robredo 35-10
Nalbandian 39-16 ( Very Average season by his standards)
Canas 36-15 (not played a great deal lately )

now other players who are more closer to 50 in the world

Rusedski 29-16
Melzer 26-19
Rochus 27-20

Henman has been around the top 15 now for about 8 years, so i don't see how some people have said he will be sticking around to play the Challanger Tour. No matter what anyone says it's not looking good. I honestly believe he will play one last wimby and depending on his ranking at the time will retire after that or if he is still in top 50 (could be difficult) will leave until the end of 06.

Matty
08-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Henman's had a very average year so far,but he still has a chance to turn it around if he can get some good wins at the upcoming TMS events,US Open and the indoor events.

I cant see Henman wanting to carry on playing if he's ranked 50 or 60 in the world.He still believes he can win Wimbledon and other big titles.
He still probably got another 2 years left in him,maybe at next years Wimbledon all the british media will focus on Andy Murray and it will take some of the pressure off him.

Saumon
08-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Tim should absolutely retire. The shame of LOSING to that hack wesley moddie and that tursunovovovov, and then after losing to wesley being happy ? Whatever Tim, ya big loser.
spell his name correctly please! :mad: :p

revolution
08-05-2005, 10:34 PM

Moddie beat Henman? Which one, jazz_girl or Neely? :cool:

PinkFeatherBoa
08-05-2005, 10:40 PM
They're not called 'tursunovovovov' and 'moddie.' Silly me.

Corey Feldman
08-05-2005, 10:46 PM
His best days are well behind him, basically he never plays tournaments anymore... so cant even build momentum for alot of matches, when he comes back from every long rest he plays shit and loses then scratches his ass wondering why..
he's even useless Indoors thesedays, and thats his best surface,was FAR better there than he is on grass

misyou25
08-05-2005, 11:01 PM
timmy's still fit...leave him alone

PinkFeatherBoa
08-05-2005, 11:05 PM
fit for the skip.

Flibbertigibbet
08-06-2005, 02:15 AM
The sad part about Henman's future departure will be the fact that there'll be virtually no serve-volleyers remaining (except for Ancic, but he needs to be able to post more consistent results on hard, indoor, and grass courts to get to the top 15/top 10), and he played a nice game. As for the date of his retirement, well... he's still hanging around, it's not as if he's dropped out of the top 50. Granted, it isn't too likely he'll be able to defend the US Open semi-finals points, but I think there's still at least a year left in him. But as has been said, it's his decision on when he wants to retire - if he so desires, he can retire tomorrow, or the year after tomorrow; either way, he'll have had an illustrious career (with a few near misses at Wimbledon, unfortunately).

Action Jackson
08-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Since skel's already started another Henman whine thread I thought I'd bump this.

Are his best days behind him? It looks like they are and only a good indoor season can really salvage it for this season, but that will be difficult for him. That's the thing he has had too many expectations on his career and in some cases made out to be better than he really is, this is due to the fact he plays an aesthetically pleasing game for some people unlike the majority of players.

2006 will be more of an indication of where he is going, any player can have a not so good year, it's just when 2 of them come together it becomes more of a problem.

bavaria100
08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Since skel's already started another Henman whine thread I thought I'd bump this.

Are his best days behind him? It looks like they are and only a good indoor season can really salvage it for this season, but that will be difficult for him. That's the thing he has had too many expectations on his career and in some cases made out to be better than he really is, this is due to the fact he plays an aesthetically pleasing game for some people unlike the majority of players.

2006 will be more of an indication of where he is going, any player can have a not so good year, it's just when 2 of them come together it becomes more of a problem.

I think so too, but his problem will be that he will face the top players earlier. After the hardcourt masters tournaments, I donīt think that he can end the year in the 20 anymore. He really should make sure, that he stays in the top 30 so that he gets a seed at the Australien Open. But itīs gonna be very hard for him, because in his current form, I just donīt see him going far at the US Open.

Jim Jones
08-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Tim Henman RIP

Action Jackson
08-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I think so too, but his problem will be that he will face the top players earlier. After the hardcourt masters tournaments, I donīt think that he can end the year in the 20 anymore. He really should make sure, that he stays in the top 30 so that he gets a seed at the Australien Open. But itīs gonna be very hard for him, because in his current form, I just donīt see him going far at the US Open.

He has a stomach problem, so that won't help him build up his form for the US Open. Henman did very well on clay last year and that helped get his ranking into the top 10. Sure if he faces the top players earlier it could be tough for him, but if he is good enough then he'll win these matches, unless he plays Hewitt.

I am not sure how many points he has to defend after the US Open, but he does need a good indoor season.

revolution
08-21-2005, 09:17 PM
I think he could be done for now. Haven't been online in ages but seen his result versus Chela, he used to win that kind of match. Not no more.

stuey87
08-21-2005, 09:39 PM
He has a stomach problem, so that won't help him build up his form for the US Open. Henman did very well on clay last year and that helped get his ranking into the top 10. Sure if he faces the top players earlier it could be tough for him, but if he is good enough then he'll win these matches, unless he plays Hewitt.

I am not sure how many points he has to defend after the US Open, but he does need a good indoor season.

He lost early last year in the Davidoff Indoors (Novak) and Paris Masters (Youzhny) so not many.

Edit: I forgot though, his 100 masters cup points aren't gonna be defended this year for sure though, so he's already on a downer on last year's performances.

That's one positive of dropping down the ranking, the chances of facing similarly low ranked players like Novak who own him are less. As you say though it does mean Hewitt'll beat him over and over and over again. Does he want to go through that instead of being with his kids? If not he might call it a day.

Timariot
08-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Henman is done. Finished. Game over. etc. I like him, but he has hit the wall. Last year was his best ever but he blew an excellent chance to win a Slam and he seems to have sort of burned out. It's not just a bad spell - he has not made a friggin semifinal ONCE this year!

uNIVERSE mAN
08-21-2005, 09:59 PM
I'd say Henman is done too, but I don't think it really ever started.

stuey87
08-21-2005, 10:03 PM
I'd say Henman is done too, but I don't think it really ever started.

He's been 4 in the world on different occasions in his career so it started, it's just a shame it never really took off majorly, as in slam winner majorly.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-21-2005, 11:59 PM
He hasn't won any significant titles in his career except for a Paris Masters, I used to cheer for him a long time ago until the british media made me throw up on this henmania crap. He should have had Edberg type potential, but he just doesn't adapt very well at all, and has no mental strength. Now I just want him to go see his dentist and podiatrician and enjoy his family and retirement.

In_Disguise
08-30-2005, 06:20 PM
I would say after the US Open loss that this is the end of the road for Henman

uNIVERSE mAN
08-30-2005, 06:30 PM
The guy's tennis reeks so bad I could smell it across the ocean.

Sugar Kane
08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
The sad part about Henman's future departure will be the fact that there'll be virtually no serve-volleyers remaining (except for Ancic, but he needs to be able to post more consistent results on hard, indoor, and grass courts to get to the top 15/top 10), and he played a nice game. As for the date of his retirement, well... he's still hanging around, it's not as if he's dropped out of the top 50. Granted, it isn't too likely he'll be able to defend the US Open semi-finals points, but I think there's still at least a year left in him. But as has been said, it's his decision on when he wants to retire - if he so desires, he can retire tomorrow, or the year after tomorrow; either way, he'll have had an illustrious career (with a few near misses at Wimbledon, unfortunately).
Rafter come back! :bounce: