What's your best weapon as a tennis player ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What's your best weapon as a tennis player ?

molikfan2004
08-03-2005, 03:09 AM
:) I like my backhand, but I'm not really good with it. Especially crosscourt :lol:

LaTenista
08-03-2005, 04:29 AM
Wish it was my serve (I'm a lefty) but must admit it's my two-handed backhand. So ironic because when I was first taking lessons I couldn't even hardly hit one and now it is so consistent I can't believe it.

revolution
08-03-2005, 04:31 AM
My main weapon is my return of serve.. I'm a lefty too. My game matches up well with Henman's actually, the way he's playing at the mo maybe even I could beat him!

gsm
08-03-2005, 05:29 AM
two handed backhand with lots of topspin.

yeah baby! :cool:

my serve is :o

BTW , i played a 3 hr match with my younger brother the other day , he won 60 46 64 75. he had a MP at 50 in the 4th , and too many to count as i clawed back to 5 all. he only just broke me for 65 and served it out , just...

tennis can be a cruel game , but i am a sucker for punishment.

yeah baby! :cool:

fedpras
08-03-2005, 05:39 AM
My forehand is pretty good. When I played doubles, my serve didn't get broken very often, but I think that's because my partner was good at net, not because my serve was super. :rolleyes:

NYCtennisfan
08-03-2005, 05:42 AM
My serve and FH. I haven't gotten as much time to play as I would like and my skills are eroding. My little brother beat me for the first time ever 2 months ago. It was painful. We both played in college and I would beat him in straight sets EVERY time. He beat me 7-6(4), 6-4. I've been holding back on a rematch while preparing myself. :)

alelysafina
08-03-2005, 05:45 AM
My backhand, especially down the line! I volley very well in matches too and like most people, my serve is :o

Seleshfan
08-03-2005, 06:36 AM
Well, I've been told my forehand is a lot like Steffi's, just not as hard and consistent. My serve has also been compared to Sampras' serve when he was 5. My backhand, is just like Marat's when he's tanking. To be compared to such tennis greats, I must be pretty good, huh? I live in California if anyone wishes to challenge me. :)

Auscon
08-03-2005, 07:01 AM
probably my backhand...I get alot more power and control from it that any other shot

But if it's a certain shot in particular, then probably my crosscourt forehand...I can get some really sharp angles on it

Papakori
08-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I have been told that my best shot is my two-handed forehand (I am two handed on both sides)

Ferrero Forever
08-03-2005, 10:34 AM
the smash, especially on the backhand side

Action Jackson
08-03-2005, 10:37 AM
My ability to win the toss of the coin.

G O
08-03-2005, 10:39 AM
My ability to win the toss of the coin.

Stop trying to be clever.

Action Jackson
08-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Stop trying to be clever.

Why do you bother with me? There must be more interesting things for you to do.

G O
08-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Why do you bother with me? There must be more interesting things for you to do.

I find characters like you interesting.

rommel99
08-03-2005, 10:47 AM
inside out forehand, and backhand.. i hit flat.. lefty also.. average serve and return..

tennisace
08-03-2005, 10:54 AM
My return of serve and my speed. I can still get to everything, even though I'm old enough to be most players mom.

LuckyAC
08-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Well, definitely my consistency. I've had a few sore losers making snide remarks about pushers :) In terms of strokes, definitely my inside-out forehand. It is the only shot I can consistently overpower strong opponents with, instead of just waiting for an unforced error. Of course, as only a borderline 5.0 player, I don't really have anything that would qualify as a "weapon" against a really good player.

HybridTheory
08-03-2005, 11:15 AM
My backhand, and I can hit quite hard .
The rest is crap :p I just play tennis for fun, Badminton is my sport ;)

Angle Queen
08-03-2005, 12:51 PM
In singles: My fitness. I can get to most anything and play for hours.
In doubles: Net play. My volleys are :yeah:

Vamos Feńa
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
crosscourt two-handed backhand,and I'm quite fast so I can reach some balls and hit them with a chop or slice ;) I'm 186cm tall but have only 62 kilos so I like running from left to right :D

Rex
08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
my second seve and forehand.

But really i think my very best weapon has to be my eye and tactical brain. I notice things which allow me to read another players game, and sometimes i do it within only a few games. My brain, because i am tactical, i change my game if i need to, and usually i can pull it off. But im sure that there are players with better minds than me.

sanpo
08-03-2005, 01:19 PM
The rest is crap :p I just play tennis for fun, Badminton is my sport ;)

Haha what a coincidence :wavey:

My one-handed backhand. Which I can hit hard, slice and do drop shots.
Badminton is my sport too and was actually good at it. Used to be a varsity player in high school. :D

I don't like my forehand. It has too much topspin and height (something like nadal but obviously not as good). I want to be able to hit flatter but it just won't work. Often times when I'm starting a ball with my forehand I'll get it too high and too 'spinny' that I'll have to say sorry to my partner haha.

Muller!!Muller!
08-03-2005, 01:23 PM
My crosscourt forehand is good ...but my serve is shit

Mrs. B
08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
my forehand. i'm a lefty.

1sun
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
my booty! :lick: its so yummy even the guys :drool: :tape: :p

tennischick
08-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Well, I've been told my forehand is a lot like Steffi's, just not as hard and consistent. My serve has also been compared to Sampras' serve when he was 5. My backhand, is just like Marat's when he's tanking. To be compared to such tennis greats, I must be pretty good, huh? I live in California if anyone wishes to challenge me. :)
finally someone i can beat! :lol:

i have a decent serve for a short woman. but my forehand really pops -- i patterned it after Steffi's. like Steffi i have a good backhand slice, but my two-handed backhand continues to suck despite years of practice. grrrrr. i dropshot well, especially using said backhand slice, a la Hingis.

disturb3d
08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
my booty! :lick: its so yummy even the guys :drool: :tape: :pYou're a disturbing kid.

1sun
08-03-2005, 04:43 PM
You're a disturbing kid.
whats your username? :scratch:

Maratfan
08-03-2005, 04:46 PM
My two-handed backhand and my returns :bounce:

stuey87
08-03-2005, 04:51 PM
My speed combined with shots on the run and stretch. I'm able to get to balls my opponents have lost interest in as clean winners for them.
I just wish the rest of my game matched up! My second serve is pretty poor and my forehand is inconsistent. I like my Gaudio style one handed backhand though, when it goes in about 7 times out of 10!

psichogaucho
08-03-2005, 05:44 PM
serve & volley :D

psichogaucho
08-03-2005, 05:51 PM
well, actually I play squash, but I play serve and volley, and I do it quite right!

Jennay
08-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Flat backhand down the line. :)

fabolous
08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
my fantastic, awesome, powerful serve! ok with 1.92 m it's not so difficult to hit aces but hey! my serve is like putting roddick, phillipoussis and karlovic together!

Pea
08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
My backhand down the line like Hingis.:drool:

psichogaucho
08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
192, wow!
I'm 175 (tiptoe) :lol:

Becarina
08-03-2005, 06:17 PM
The rest is crap :p I just play tennis for fun,

same here...backhand, pretty hard :)

Seleshfan
08-03-2005, 07:14 PM
finally someone i can beat! :lol:

i have a decent serve for a short woman. but my forehand really pops -- i patterned it after Steffi's. like Steffi i have a good backhand slice, but my two-handed backhand continues to suck despite years of practice. grrrrr. i dropshot well, especially using said backhand slice, a la Hingis.

Bring it on..... :)

jole
08-03-2005, 07:30 PM
My inside out forehand is my best weapon. I also have been toying around with the mule kick drop shots for a while. They are fun, and quite effective most of the time. :p

honey_b_fly_15
08-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Probably my forehand or my volley!!! I can't hit a normal backhand (even though I can hit a left-handed backhand.. I'm right handed by the way ;) ) Oh yeah, my serve is hideous!!!

Adman
08-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Playing on plastic grass I would say my forehand but when I play hard courts I would have to say my serve due to the fact that i kicks up more than the fake grass.

Black Adam
08-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Serve,Volley and return of serve but overally the Volley;)
I am consistent with the backhand and forehand but I not that confident with them :)

Black Adam
08-03-2005, 09:21 PM
my fantastic, awesome, powerful serve! ok with 1.92 m it's not so difficult to hit aces but hey! my serve is like putting roddick, phillipoussis and karlovic together!
Lucky you.......I am 1m84 but despite hitting the ball when it's pretty high in the air I manage to serve a ball in the middle of the net :banghead:

Hingie
08-03-2005, 09:29 PM
My first serve. My second serve sucks like shit and I throw in tons of double faults, but my first serve gets me a lot of free points. I get about 30% in a match, but the ones I get in I usually hit either an ace or a service winner. I'm still working on it though. Next is my forehand. My flat forehand down the line is my best shot probably. I also have a nice drop shot that I can hit. My backhand sucks, it really does. I don't know how to hit it. It keeps going 5 feet long. My volleys are decent but I miss more than I get in. As you can tell, I don't win all the time. I probably only win about 50% of my matches. Against hard hitting opponents I'm okay, but against those annoying mofos who only push the ball back I usually lose cuz they get so many balls back and they don't give me any pace.

Vamos Feńa
08-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Oh and BTW my forehand sucks although I'm practising to have just like Gonzo has ;) but still I can't hit a winner from my forehand :sad: only some flat cc backhands give me winners, my 1st serve is normal but it's percentage is inconsistent, my 2nd serve sucks I usually do 4-5 DF-s in 1 set but I had 2 Aces from my short 2nd serve (1 because I didn't hit the ball clearly and it was short and almost didn't bounce on clay :lol: ) Still I want my forehand to improve!!!

DanEd
08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I am very fast, i fight very hard for every ball and I am a good defender like Coria even better ( :lol: :silly: :tape: ) :D :)

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-03-2005, 11:20 PM
My single handed BH, lots of power. FH is ok. My FH Dropshot is very good:)

Aleksa's Laydee
08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
My thunderous backhand...and my never say die attitude (i run everything down from first point to last point)

disturb3d
08-04-2005, 02:18 AM
whats your username? :scratch:A band.

Chandafan
08-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Hmmmm, well i have two hands on both sides, ala Seles, but i have a righty serve (unlike seles of course)...... i think my weapon is my backhand although it SHOULD be my forheand since i have a righties serve, but it's my backhand. I have a weird style i know) I have a sharp angle on my forehand CC which is a weapon i am told, but my BH istrong.

HybridTheory
08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Haha what a coincidence :wavey:

My one-handed backhand. Which I can hit hard, slice and do drop shots.
Badminton is my sport too and was actually good at it. Used to be a varsity player in high school. :D

I don't like my forehand. It has too much topspin and height (something like nadal but obviously not as good). I want to be able to hit flatter but it just won't work. Often times when I'm starting a ball with my forehand I'll get it too high and too 'spinny' that I'll have to say sorry to my partner haha.

That's cool :wavey: :)
Are you from Asia ?

ZaZaGook
08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
my brains.

sanpo
08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
That's cool :wavey: :)
Are you from Asia ?

I am. I think badminton is only big in asia and some european countries. :D

honey_b_fly_15
08-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Oh and BTW my forehand sucks although I'm practising to have just like Gonzo has ;) but still I can't hit a winner from my forehand :sad: only some flat cc backhands give me winners, my 1st serve is normal but it's percentage is inconsistent, my 2nd serve sucks I usually do 4-5 DF-s in 1 set but I had 2 Aces from my short 2nd serve (1 because I didn't hit the ball clearly and it was short and almost didn't bounce on clay :lol: ) Still I want my forehand to improve!!!

LMAO! You think that's bad, try doing 2/3 per game usually when up 40-15 on serve! However, I must admit my serve is very flukey. It can either be a great serve in the corner that kicks up (which sometimes give me aces) or it will barely make it to the net. The latteris what usually happens to me :sad: Even when I just try to tap the ball in on my serve, it usually never makes it past the net :crying2:

ExpectedWinner
08-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Heh. I'm a complete player, I like to construct points.

ultraX
08-04-2005, 05:20 PM
My favorite weapons are my one-handed backhand hitting in crosscourt and forehand.

I'm also lefty :)

DayTripperGH
08-04-2005, 06:27 PM
1. volley
2. speed
3. smash

Lithuanian
08-04-2005, 07:31 PM
my backhand, especially cross-court, which is also my favourite shot. The serve also helps occasionally along with the forehand. But generally I play tennis which can be played by a girl who has been playing for two or free hours a week for 10 years!!! However, I can be more proud of this number of the years than of the quality of my tennis...But I simply love this sport!!! :)

njnetswill
08-04-2005, 08:08 PM
It used to be my crosscourt backhand, but now I would say forehand down the line.

loner1984
08-04-2005, 08:29 PM
My weapon would undoubtedly be the between-the-legs lob. It's so reliable especially in high pressure situations. If that's not working, I usually turn to my no-look half-volley, which by the way can be executed anywhere in the court but is most effective in no-man's land. If THAT's not working...my last resort would be the Santoro double-fisted slice forehand drop-shot. It works like a charm especially against charging baseline rushers and agressive net bangers.

kosmikgroove
08-04-2005, 11:36 PM
I love my inside out one-handed backhand to be really deceptive! I love it!

YoursTruly
08-05-2005, 04:54 AM
Backhand, retrieving/defense, a bit of serve

chewy
08-26-2005, 11:34 AM
my best weapon is definitely my fighting spirit! Also my agility & court speed becoz im a smaller player :bolt:

even tho im small, my serves packs a punch when its on..but at d momment its off 80% of the time :rolleyes:

iliketennis
08-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Def. my two-fisted backhand, I can generate so much pace off my backhand.

madmanfool
08-26-2005, 05:22 PM
My biggist weapon has to be my dropvolleys. If you play the ball in my feet I have you 9 out of 10 times. Even with a high ball on my backhand I can do some magic. But the problem is, I don't come to the net so often because I can't smash that well.

I guess it's my forehand which wins me most matches or maybe my aggressive style of playing (if only we would play on gravel in Belgium :( )
But if I play a guy who runs everything down I'll lose, time after time, ...sigh...

Peoples
08-26-2005, 06:23 PM
It's impossible... most people are saying their strength is backhand and yet it can't be generally better than most people's forehands. Strange.

For me it's forehand anywhere from the court except for putaways too close to the net, I have a low % on these.

athie
08-26-2005, 06:40 PM
My one-handed backhand is a ball buster and I aint talking about the tennis ball (my coach has had the pleasure of the experience :devil: )

KoOlMaNsEaN
08-26-2005, 10:02 PM
My backhand return. Love when they hit hard serves to my bh

superpinkone37
08-26-2005, 10:05 PM
My two-handed backhand :banana:

I used to have a great forehand down the line...I don't know what happened :lol:

Jennay
08-26-2005, 10:11 PM
My two-handed backhand :banana:
Same! :yeah: But I mostly hit it DTL, my backhand crosscourt is too much of a rally shot (even though I guess that's basically what it's for, but it would be nice to be able to find the crosscourt corners). My forehand has gotten a lot more precise lately, so I use that to open up the court and look for a backhand DTL to hit. :)

superpinkone37
08-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Ohh, plus I'm left handed, and at least at my highschool level, my serve out wide on the ad court gets me a lot of points :D

fenomeno2111
08-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Backhand down the line is my favorite but not my best weapon....LoL I need to work a lot more. My FH is decent and consistent.

name_change
08-27-2005, 12:46 PM
one handed backhand. i hit it surprisingly hard, but it's just good timing. on my FH side, (i hit a two hander. dont ask) it's pretty pathetic, but my FH return of serve is really good, and dropshot.