Federer Confirms Cincinnati Return [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer Confirms Cincinnati Return

wcr
08-02-2005, 07:57 PM
By Tennis Week
08/03/2005

Roger Federer put his foot down in squashing reports that foot pain he felt during his run to his third consecutive Wimbledon crown would force him to scale down his schedule. The world No. 1 also revealed he will launch defense of his U.S. Open title without coach Tony Roche, who will skip the season's final Grand Slam before rejoining Federer when he attempts to defend his Tennis Masters Cup championship in Shanghai.

The four-time Grand Slam champion said last month that pain in his feet will prevent him from defending his Rogers Cup title in Montreal, August 8-14. Federer said today his feet are pain free and he plans to return to tournament tennis at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati starting August 15th.

"I went to see a doctor after Wimbledon and the scan confirmed my fears. I had to miss the Canadian tournament to avoid taking any risks," Federer told the Swiss news agency ATS in a telephone interview he conducted while on vacation. "The nature of my injury has been exaggerated in the press. I consulted a doctor but there's nothing serious. I don't feel anything anymore."

Currently riding a 12-match winning streak, Federer, who celebrates his 24th birthday on Monday, has not played a match since sweeping Andy Roddick in the Wimbledon final on July 3rd. Second-ranked Rafael Nadal trails Federer by 2,510 points in the ATP Entry System rankings. Federer said maintaining his hold on the top spot and defending his Masters Cup crown are his top priorities for the rest of the season.

"I have got lots of goals from here to the end of the season and I'm really looking forward to playing again," Federer told ATS. "Possibly the Masters Cup (is a top priority). I don't play often in Asia and I'm looking forward to returning to Shanghai. The other tournaments are essential for my ranking and it's often those ones that people remember at the end of your career."

On August 29th, Federer will launch defense of his U.S. Open title. Less than a month later, he will lead Switzerland against Great Britain in the Davis Cup World Group qualifying tie, set for September 23rd-25th. Federer, who informed former Swiss Davis Cup captain and former doubles partner Marc Rosset he was being relieved of his Davis Cup captaincy last month, said leading Switzerland to a Davis Cup championship and winning Roland Garros are two of the top goals remaining in his career.

"(Winning) the Davis Cup remains one of the great goals of my career. At the beginning of every year I analyze my objectives — in 2005 my main goal was to keep my number one ranking," Federer said. "One day my priority will be Roland Garros and one day it will be the Davis Cup."

Following Cincinnati, the U.S. Open and the Davis Cup tie, Federer plans to play Bangkok (September 26th), Madrid (October 17th), his hometown tournament in Basel (October 24th), Paris (October 31st) and the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai (November 7th).

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=13514&bannerregion=

1sun
08-02-2005, 08:33 PM
The four-time Grand Slam champion
:fiery: excuse me? um 5 time grand slam chamion.

Papakori
08-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Good luck Federer in Cincinnati

nermo
08-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Com'on Federer :) :bigclap: , best of luck for all the coming tourneys inshALLAH ...

Fergie
08-03-2005, 01:16 AM
I hope that Rogi can win in Cincy this year ;)

LaTenista
08-03-2005, 01:48 AM

Knowing Fed has a horrible (1-4 W-L) record at Cincy, where his only win was over a qualifier he had save MPs against I'm told, I have a lot lower aspirations for him. Last year I saw his last 2 games of the third set with Hrbaty, it was not pretty. :eek:

Personally, I'm making sure this year I'll be at 1st round match from the word go, in hopes to see him play like the World No 1 he is for at least a set. I don't even expect him to win a match because it's very humid and even hotter than usual (about 95 degrees) - not his ideal conditions. But other players like Hewitt and Agassi thrive on it. :shrug:

Art&Soul
08-03-2005, 02:04 AM

Mee too, Hopp ROGI, tennis is boring without him nowadays :)

PaulieM
08-03-2005, 02:17 AM
i don't care if he wins i'll just be glad to see him back :)