Fans can keep balls hit into the stadium at US Open! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fans can keep balls hit into the stadium at US Open!

Deboogle!.
08-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Cool, it's about time!
----------------
U.S. Open Watch
By Tennis Week
08/03/2005

Visitors to the U.S. Open won't need cash to walk away with a souvenir ball this year or a spot in the main draw to catch up with one of Roger Federer's shots. For the first time ever, fans will be allowed to keep stray balls hit into the stands of Arthur Ashe Stadium during U.S. Open matches.

The USTA announced its new policy, which will give fans the chance to take home a piece of the U.S. Open without shelling out $34 for the giant Wilson U.S. Open souvenir ball many young fans use to collect autographs from their favorite players.

The new rule applies only to stray balls hit into the stands at Arthur Ashe Stadium and not on the outer courts, according to the USTA.

Tennis Week has contacted the USTA to learn if the balls that sail into the stands will be replaced immediately on-court with a new ball or if matches will continue one ball short until new balls are introduced into a match after the first seven games then new balls are introduced every nine games after that.

Major League Baseball has a long-standing policy of permitting fans to keep foul balls and home run balls hit into the stands. Four-time U.S. Open champion John McEnroe is one of several prominent tennis figures who have advocated tournaments allow fans to keep stray balls struck into the stands.

Carito_90
08-02-2005, 03:56 PM
It indeed was about time! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
08-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Marat's stray balls went out of the stadium anyway :lol:
no change there ;)

SwissMister1
08-02-2005, 04:29 PM
The irony is that all of those seats by the court, where 99% of those balls would land, sit empty, unused by the sponsors.

tennischick
08-02-2005, 04:32 PM
but having to throw the ball back is what made tennis unique. in a way i'm sad about this change. i'm sure the fans would love it though.

Raquel
08-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I know Tennis Week says here they are contacting USTA about whether a stray ball gets replaced but what if a stray ball does get replaced automatically with a new ball. Say it's 5-3 in the 5th. A player is serving to stay in the match at 3-5. Could you then get the returner hitting a couple of "mishit" returns into the stand in their opponents service game so that they have a couple of new tennis balls to use in their service game to serve out the match? For someone like Roddick or Karlovic, a couple of new tennis balls when serving for the match could make a big difference.

alfonsojose
08-02-2005, 05:21 PM
but having to throw the ball back is what made tennis unique. in a way i'm sad about this change. i'm sure the fans would love it though.
:sad:

1sun
08-02-2005, 05:48 PM
wont it fuck up the rotation of balls? and the ball count on the court?

lunahielo
08-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I am still thinking about the cost of those huge tennis balls~~
$34 ???? :eek: :eek:

Deboogle!.
08-02-2005, 06:13 PM
I know!! My mouth dropped open when I saw that price. I could not believe it.

I imagine they'll find a way to work it out. I think it's more important that someone is actually thinking progressively - they'll figure the rest out.

MariaV
08-02-2005, 06:15 PM
I know Tennis Week says here they are contacting USTA about whether a stray ball gets replaced but what if a stray ball does get replaced automatically with a new ball. Say it's 5-3 in the 5th. A player is serving to stay in the match at 3-5. Could you then get the returner hitting a couple of "mishit" returns into the stand in their opponents service game so that they have a couple of new tennis balls to use in their service game to serve out the match? For someone like Roddick or Karlovic, a couple of new tennis balls when serving for the match could make a big difference.
Yeah, all the questions about replacing the balls and the ball count on court. :shrug: Would be quite confusing.

Neely
08-02-2005, 06:25 PM
I am still thinking about the cost of those huge tennis balls~~
$34 ???? :eek: :eek:
You will consider $34 as cheap after you went to Roland Garros where they will charge you easily up to 45 or 50 EURO(!) for some of these huge tennis balls (30 cm diameter) at some stands. And I don't think Wimbledon is so much cheaper. Even in the old times before the EURO currency I remember that such balls at RG were already around 150 Francs.

Not the cheapest fun for the kids (or their parents) who run around with these balls collecting autographs...

Deboogle!.
08-02-2005, 06:26 PM
You will consider $34 as cheap after you went to Roland Garros where they will charge you easily up to 45 or 50 EURO(!) for some of these huge tennis balls (30 cm diameter) at some stands. And I don't think Wimbledon is so much cheaper. Even in the old times before the EURO currency I remember that such balls at RG were already around 150 Francs.oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nimomunz
08-02-2005, 06:54 PM
go home get the old smoothed-down basketball and paint it like a tennis ball. done total cost=5$ maybe 6

Saumon
08-02-2005, 06:56 PM
go home get the old smoothed-down basketball and paint it like a tennis ball. done total cost=5$ maybe 6
:lol:

btw i like it when players give their balls to spectators after practice sessions :p

Tricky_Forehand
08-02-2005, 07:07 PM

Making it too much about the "fans", IMO. Screw the people who are actually out there doing the work.

I would really like to know how the geniuses at the USTA plan to handle this. You can't replace a lost ball (hit within the stadium or stands) with a brand new ball because then it just screws it all up. I know that some balls are kept as standbys that have similar wear and tear to those that are in play but this is just going to get ridiculous.

Nimomunz
08-02-2005, 07:07 PM
:lol:

btw i like it when players give their balls to spectators after practice sessions :p
which balls? ;)

Deboogle!.
08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
How can tennis possibly be made "too much about the fans"??? Sports are for fans, it is intended to entertain people. If they were just for themselves, they would play in a closed court somewhere. If it's not about the fans, it doesn't exist. They'll figure out how to handle it, I don't think it's a big deal. It's not like balls get hit out of the court THAT often. Plus, for example, balls go out of smaller stadiums all the time. Last week in LA, at least a ball a set bounced out of the court completely b/c the walls are so much lower - just from a simple overhead or something. Somehow, they handle it without incident.

People may not like the USTA for whatever reason or another but at least with testing the electronic line systems, the US Open series and accompanying ad campaign, and now this, they're showing that they are at least willing to think progressively and do something different to try to make tennis more fan-friendly.

Maybe tennis - and some tennis fans - needs to lighten up a little.

Fee
08-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I bet the 'knowledgeable' tennis fans throw them back anyway, just out of habit (or respect maybe?). I agree that it's good that the USTA is doing something for the fans, but I would like to see them lower the prices at the tournament (food, souvenirs, and such). Somehow, I think the players and chair umpires will figure out a way to make it work (and yes, there are usually a few extra balls kicking around the court for 'just in case' situations).

Deboogle!.
08-02-2005, 08:28 PM
I also forgot when balls go dead. At least 3 or 4 times at LA (and that's just that I saw), players gave a dead ball to the ump and he kept it. So there's obviously protocol in place for what happens.

tennischick
08-02-2005, 08:37 PM
if they really care about the fans they could lower the price on tickets and food.

Neely
08-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I also forgot when balls go dead. At least 3 or 4 times at LA (and that's just that I saw), players gave a dead ball to the ump and he kept it. So there's obviously protocol in place for what happens.
In Kitzbühel, I believe it was in the final or in the semis (don't remember anymore exactly), a WHOLE set of balls was pretty much fucked up and seemed to have lost pressure. Verdasco gave about four or five balls to the umpire to check but he told him it's bad luck that his happened during the game because it's not allowed to change balls during a game. (but new balls were given out right after the game then even though it was not a 7th or 9th game)

Tricky_Forehand
08-02-2005, 08:46 PM
if they really care about the fans they could lower the price on tickets and food.

Agreed :yeah:

I didn't go to L.A. this year because I went to the Tarzana Challenger the week before (which was way more important ;) ) but I imagine that I will be going again next year and future years (and to other tournaments as well) so lowering the price on tickets and food would be nice. The Tarzana Challenger ticket prices were set by the club so I can't bitch to anyone about the ridiculousness of that.

I just think it's idiotic. I'm not asking for people to jump on the bandwagon and agree with me. Just stating where I stand. As Fee said, some people will probably throw the balls back anyway. I know that I would.

NYCtennisfan
08-02-2005, 10:30 PM
btw i like it when players give their balls to spectators after practice sessions

Where's alfonsojose? :)

John McEnroe is probably 95% responsible for this rule change. He lobbies for it every single year over and over agin after a stray shot off of a frame lands in the stands.

Paul Banks
08-02-2005, 10:58 PM
In tennis, when you catch a ball, it's not like you're "OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a tennis ball!!!", maybe it's because of the tradition but I would just feel like giving it back. You can't compare it to baseball.

We're just talking a small yellow ball... There's no point for spectators to keep them, it's always going to be a problem or an unfair situation if there are too many balls lost.

If people want a souvenir, take a picture, ask for an autograph or buy a t-shirt... And like it was said, if they want the tournament more fan-friendly, lower the food price!

tall_one
08-03-2005, 10:04 AM
The new rule applies only to stray balls hit into the stands at Arthur Ashe Stadium and not on the outer courts, according to the USTA.
odd that it only applies to Ashe Stadium and not the other courts http://smileys.******************/cat/29/29_1_5.gif

roisin
08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
You will consider $34 as cheap after you went to Roland Garros where they will charge you easily up to 45 or 50 EURO(!) for some of these huge tennis balls (30 cm diameter) at some stands. And I don't think Wimbledon is so much cheaper. Even in the old times before the EURO currency I remember that such balls at RG were already around 150 Francs.

Not the cheapest fun for the kids (or their parents) who run around with these balls collecting autographs...
I'm in love with those giant tennis balls, I would easily shell out €50. Even though I wouldn't be able to eat for the rest of the day!! :rolls:

Great decision by USTA :yeah: I'd be so mad if I couldn't keep the ball after catching it

Nimomunz
08-03-2005, 12:17 PM
odd that it only applies to Ashe Stadium and not the other courts http://smileys.******************/cat/29/29_1_5.gif
probably because its much easier for balls to go into the stands at the outsid courts!

Deboogle!.
08-03-2005, 04:42 PM
In tennis, when you catch a ball, it's not like you're "OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a tennis ball!!!", maybe it's because of the tradition but I would just feel like giving it back. You can't compare it to baseball.Little kids still get excited. And there's booing all the time at the USO when fans have to give it back. Perhaps it's a change that makes sense at the huge Ashe Stadium in NYC, but not at other places. I can't see it happening at RG or Wimby but I think it's a good change for the USO. If people still choose to give the balls back, at least it'd be their choice. And there's no evidence to suggest that any other tournament is going to follow this precedent, anyway.

Seleshfan
08-03-2005, 05:31 PM
How can tennis possibly be made "too much about the fans"???

Well Debstah, if you think about it, there are tons of ways you can make tennis too much about the fans. Consider the proposals that have been denied that would have heavily favored fans, but also may have had a detrimental effect on the game itself.

Denied Proposal #1) The Safinettes and hundreds of male Sharapova fans heavily lobbied for permission to allow groping of the players during changeovers.

Denied Proposal #2) I actually lobbied for this one. To allow fans access to the locker rooms, and player's showers.

Denied Proposal #3) Richard Williams lobbied for allowing fans to call lines.

Denied Proposal #4) An anonymous German Association, suggested the USTA allow fans to carry knives courtside for protection against the rough New York crowd.

As you can see, there are some things that can be too fan friendly, when it compromises the players or their game.

Deboogle!.
08-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Well Debstah, if you think about it, there are tons of ways you can make tennis too much about the fans. Consider the proposals that have been denied that would have heavily favored fans, but also may have had a detrimental effect on the game itself.

Denied Proposal #1) The Safinettes and hundreds of male Sharapova fans heavily lobbied for permission to allow groping of the players during changeovers.

Denied Proposal #2) I actually lobbied for this one. To allow fans access to the locker rooms, and player's showers.

Denied Proposal #3) Richard Williams lobbied for allowing fans to call lines.

Denied Proposal #4) An anonymous German Association, suggested the USTA allow fans to carry knives courtside for protection against the rough New York crowd.

As you can see, there are some things that can be too fan friendly, when it compromises the players or their game.:haha: :haha: :haha: you are too much. :worship:

Seleshfan
08-03-2005, 05:59 PM
You think so? I bet you tell that to all the guys. I think I'm not too little and not too much :)