Federer says Masters Cup is now his 2005 objective [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer says Masters Cup is now his 2005 objective

tennis elbow
08-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Federer says Masters Cup is now his 2005 objective
Tue Aug 2, 2005 2:26 PM BST

LONDON, Aug 2 (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer says winning the season-ending Masters Cup is his 2005 priority after claiming the Wimbledon title for the third year running.

Speaking to Swiss agency ATS from his holiday, Federer denied media reports he was suffering serious foot problems.

He said he would travel to this month's U.S. Open, where he is defending his title, without coach Tony Roche who would rejoin him for the Masters Cup in Shanghai in November.

"I have got lots of goals from here to the end of the season and I'm really looking forward to playing again," said Federer, who has not competed since winning Wimbledon in early July and will return at the Cincinnati Masters in mid-August.

Asked what was his top priority, Federer said: "Possibly the Masters Cup. I don't play often in Asia and I'm looking forward to returning to Shanghai.

"The other tournaments are essential for my ranking and it's often those ones that people remember at the end of your career."

The Swiss said that, on an emotional level, he was looking forward to playing in the Davis Cup playoff against Britain in September.

The winners will retain their place in the elite world group. Federer missed Switzerland's first round defeat by the Netherlands in March.

"(Winning) the Davis Cup remains one of the great goals of my career. At the beginning of every year I analyse my objectives -- in 2005 my main goal was to keep my number one ranking.

"One day my priority will be Roland Garros and one day it will be the Davis Cup."

Federer said he had made the right decision not to play in the March tie because of problems with his feet. These problems made him decide to miss the post-Wimbledon Gstaad tournament in Switzerland and the Montreal Masters starting on August 8.

"I went to see a doctor after Wimbledon and the scan confirmed my fears. I had to miss the Canadian tournament to avoid taking any risks.

"The nature of my injury has been exaggerated in the press. I consulted a doctor but there's nothing serious. I don't feel anything anymore."

Federer's tournament plan for the rest of 2005 is:

Cincinnati Masters - starts August 15

U.S. Open - starts August 29

Davis Cup - September 23-25

Thailand Open - starts September 26

Madrid Masters - starts October 17

Swiss Indoors - starts October 24

Paris Masters - starts October 31

Masters Cup - November 12

Whistleway
08-02-2005, 04:29 PM
hmm, what about US Open?

Nimomunz
08-02-2005, 04:44 PM
maybe he's jinxing himself like when he said that FO was his aim!!
I'm a little superstitious! :wavey:

tennischick
08-02-2005, 05:30 PM
"The nature of my injury has been exaggerated in the press. I consulted a doctor but there's nothing serious. I don't feel anything anymore."
i hope this is true.

Doris Loeffel
08-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeap me too!!

oneandonlyhsn
08-02-2005, 05:56 PM

Best news I've heard :D

1sun
08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
im pretty sure his major goal is the us, mayb he doesnt want to much pressure on himself for the open or mayb the master is his top goal but somehow i dont think so. but most importantly his feet are all good.

alfonsojose
08-02-2005, 06:17 PM
hmm, what about US Open?
:scratch: The masters before the U.S. Open. Did JesusFed learn not to open his mouth that match as he did in Paris :smash: or the injury is worst than we think :o .

Right now he has five slams, 3, 1, 1 and is missing RG, and now foot issues :speakles: :scared: Swiss jinx?

rofe
It is interesting that he is playing down his US Open defence. He won't have too much hardcourt practice going into the US Open (especially if he does as poorly as has the past few years at Cincy) so he probably wants to make sure that he is not critisized and he doesn't feel bad about the loss, if he fails to defend his US Open title.

Nimi
Well, to win three straight TMCs would be great. He would be the first player since Lendl to do so (Lendl was the only one).

Have you noticed that whenever Fed has a shot at a record, it has something to do with Lendl?

rofe
08-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Best news I've heard :D

I agree but I hope his statement is genuine and not for the press.

mitalidas
08-02-2005, 06:49 PM
The last time a Swiss wunderkid had foot injuries it ended in great disappointment for me. I just hope that Roger's is a minor problem

Leo
08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Not sure why, TMC is a pup compared to the US Open. I bet he'll win both, anyway.

revolution
08-02-2005, 08:33 PM
He should also try his best at Cincy, Madrid and Paris, he is more than capable of winning them all and that would leave Monte Carlo and Rome left to complete a unique collection.

DDrago2
08-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't believe his feet is O.K. as he sais... This talk is at least six months old and it is getting worse and worse. Some people said it is because of his new Nike shoes. Does anybody knows if this is correct? And if not, what is the cause for these problems?

onewoman74
08-02-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't believe his feet is O.K. as he sais... This talk is at least six months old and it is getting worse and worse. Some people said it is because of his new Nike shoes. Does anybody knows if this is correct? And if not, what is the cause for these problems?

Fed says the press is exaggerating his foot problems...I think he's doing his best to take care of the problem...he's not pulling a Martina, so don't worry...

NYCtennisfan
08-02-2005, 08:46 PM
I really don't think that anything new happened with his feet. He just realized that he had to rest them and took an extended break. He is just doing what John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg and Pete Sampras all did: take enough time off to e able to keep going even though they played a tremendous amount of matches because they won all the time.

Federer has played 11 events this year. He has won 8, made two SF (GS events), and one QF (TMS event). He needs time off and took a good chunk of time off now and will get another good chunk off at the end of the year. He needed to do this to be able to stay fresh for next year and beyond. Playing 235 matches in 2.5 years is too much.

wcr
08-02-2005, 08:50 PM
http://www.heel-that-pain.com/plantar_fascia/index.php

Plantar Fascia

Pronounced as "plantar fash-ee-a"
Plantar means "Foot", Fascia means "Band"

The plantar fascia is a ligament that runs along the bottom of the foot. The ligament is a very thick band of tissue that extends from the bottom of the heel bone (calcaneus) to the base of the toes. The plantar fascia is made of thick, fibrous connective tissue that is able to stretch slightly. The primary function of the plantar fascia is to support the arch of the foot and facilitate the foot’s movement.

The plantar fascia ligament acts much like a rubber band. It creates tension in order to maintain the arch of the foot. When you take a step, the foot impacts the ground and causes the plantar fascia to stretch out, lengthening the foot. When the heel lifts from the ground you adjust yourself on your toes as you shift your weight to your other foot, causing all your weight to be held up by your plantar fascia. Since the plantar fascia is an essential part of movement, medical ailments associated with the ligament can cause severe pain and make walking very difficult.

Due to its central function in the movement of the foot, many problems with the plantar fascia can arise. With increased weight or stress on the plantar fascia ligament, plantar fasciitis can develop. This condition occurs when tears in the ligament’s tissue become inflamed as a result of too much, or repetitive stress. Heel spurs are also a common ailment that occurs where the plantar fascia attaches to the heel bone as the ligament pulls away under excessive stress. Pronation, or having flat feet, is another common problem that occurs when the arch of the foot collapses. This upsets the alignment of the foot and ankle and can cause pain and discomfort not only in the foot, but also in the knee and lower back.

Some factors that may lead to strain or injury of the plantar fascia are:
Biomechanical factors, such as abnormal inward twisting (pronation), high arches, flat feet, or tight tendons at the back of the heel (Achilles tendons)
Repetitive foot use, walking or running on hard surfaces, or excessive exercise
Being overweight, or having sudden weight gain
Shoes that are unsupportive or are poorly cushioned
Arthritis in the foot, which develops mainly among middle-aged and elderly persons
In rare cases, a single, traumatic injury to the foot, or plantar fascia, can lead to a number of painful ailments
Luckily, ailments and conditions involving the plantar fascia can usually be healed easily by relatively conservative measure

wcr
08-02-2005, 08:51 PM
http://www.foot.com/info/cond_plantar_fasciitis.jsp

Plantar Fasciitis

Definition
Plantar Fasciitis is an inflammation caused by excessive stretching of the plantar fascia. The plantar fascia is a broad band of fibrous tissue which runs along the bottom surface of the foot, attaching at the bottom of the heel bone and extending to the forefoot. When the plantar fascia is excessively stretched, this can cause plantar fasciitis, which can also lead to heel pain, arch pain, and heel spurs.

Cause
Plantar Fasciitis often leads to heel pain, heel spurs, and/or arch pain. The excessive stretching of the plantar fascia that leads to the inflammation and discomfort can be caused by the following:

Over-pronation (flat feet) which results in the arch collapsing upon weight bearing
A foot with an unusually high arch
A sudden increase in physical activity
Excessive weight on the foot, usually attributed to obesity or pregnancy
Improperly fitting footwear
Over-pronation (flat feet) is the leading cause of plantar fasciitis. Over-pronation occurs in the walking process, when a person's arch collapses upon weight bearing, causing the plantar fascia to be stretched away from the heel bone.

With Plantar Fasciitis, the bottom of your foot usually hurts near the inside of the foot where the heel and arch meet. The pain is often acute either first thing in the morning or after a long rest, because while resting the plantar fascia contracts back to its original shape. As the day progresses and the plantar fascia continues to be stretched, the pain often subsides.

Treatment and Prevention
The key for the proper treatment of plantar fasciitis is determining what is causing the excessive stretching of the plantar fascia. When the cause is over-pronation (flat feet), an orthotic with rearfoot posting and longitudinal arch support is an effective device to reduce the over-pronation and allow the condition to heal.

If you have usually high arches, which can also lead to plantar fasciitis, cushion the heel, absorb shock and wear proper footwear that will accommodate and comfort the foot.

Other common treatments include stretching exercises, plantar fasciitis night splints, wearing shoes that have a cushioned heel to absorb shock, and elevating the heel with the use of a heel cradle or heel cup. Heel cradles and heel cups provide extra comfort, cushion the heel, and reduce the amount of shock and shear forces placed during everyday activities.

Every time your foot strikes the ground, the plantar fascia is stretched. You can reduce the strain and stress on the plantar fascia by following these simple instructions: Avoid running on hard or uneven ground, lose any excess weight, and wear shoes and orthotics that support your arch to prevent over-stretching of the plantar fascia.

If problem persists, consult your foot doctor.

wcr
08-02-2005, 08:55 PM
It doesn't sound like any fun.

http://familydoctor.org/140.xml

"How will my doctor know if the pain I have is caused by plantar fasciitis?"

"Your doctor will ask you about the kind of pain you're having, when it occurs and how long you've had it. If you have pain in your heel when you stand up for the first time in the morning, you may have plantar fasciitis. Most people with plantar fasciitis say the pain is like a knife or a pin sticking into the bottom of the foot. After you've been standing for a while, the pain becomes more like a dull ache. If you sit down for any length of time, the sharp pain will come back when you stand up again."

Chloe le Bopper
08-02-2005, 11:22 PM
I hope that the press there tells him the fans in Shanghai like him because of his "big nose" like they did last time the TMC was held there.

Sjengster
08-02-2005, 11:24 PM
I remember that. He doesn't have the exotic blonde looks of Ferrero or Hewitt, so something has to attract 'em, I suppose.

PamV
08-02-2005, 11:31 PM
hmm, what about US Open?

The US Open is listed as one of the tournaments he's scheduled, but you'd think he would consider that more of a priority than the Master's Cup. The Master's Cup doesn't help him keep the #1 ranking. It sounds like he prefers to be low key about the US Open, which is probably smart. Last year people were still saying that the US Open was not something he could win because of the loud atmosphere and conditions. LOL! Maybe he likes to lower expectations.

1sun
08-02-2005, 11:45 PM
I hope that the press there tells him the fans in Shanghai like him because of his "big nose" like they did last time the TMC was held there.
did they really say that? wot was his response? and is it true?

1sun
08-02-2005, 11:46 PM
I remember that. He doesn't have the exotic blonde looks of Ferrero or Hewitt, so something has to attract 'em, I suppose.
:lol:

Chloe le Bopper
08-03-2005, 12:00 AM
did they really say that? wot was his response? and is it true?
Yes, they really said that. I might be able to find it later... might not. We'll see.

He didn't really have much to say. His response was along the "erm, sure" lines if I remember correctly. And I probably don't. :D

1sun
08-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Yes, they really said that. I might be able to find it later... might not. We'll see.

He didn't really have much to say. His response was along the "erm, sure" lines if I remember correctly. And I probably don't. :D
if u could, i would very much appreicate it. thats a bit harsh telling roger, not very nice.meanies.

Corey Feldman
08-03-2005, 12:44 AM
TMC more of an objective than US Open rogi? :scratch:

nobama
08-03-2005, 01:45 AM
TMC more of an objective than US Open rogi? :scratch:
I guess it's a way to take the pressure off. At the beginning of the year he said his priority was remaining #1. Of course a good showing at the US Open factors into that.

Nimomunz
08-03-2005, 12:53 PM
i cant believe hewitt can actually be considered exotic anywhere....... :rolls:

yanchr
08-03-2005, 04:56 PM
:lol: That's true somehow :p

Roger doesn't have the usual charming look that appeals to most Easterners it seems. I found him pretty 'old' and very mediocre-looking at the first sight, surely not now :angel: :p But whilst I also don't get it why Ferrero and Hewitt would be so popular back then, especially Ferrero. Still don't get it now :confused:

But Roger's tennis ROCKS. Believe me, Roger's tennis can be as attractive as anything else to attract TMC audience, eg. Ferrero/Hewitt's looks, Safin's body, Andy's ass... ;)

yanchr
08-03-2005, 05:06 PM
if u could, i would very much appreicate it. thats a bit harsh telling roger, not very nice.meanies.
People were not meaning anything unfriendly :) though I also agree it's not polite to even talk about it in public. But Roger was the most popular player among reporters back then thanks to his co-operation, friendliness and genuine smiles.

Though I can watch him live in TMC, I still prefer him to take USO title rather than TMC. And I don't think he actually cares any less about USO.

novanora
08-03-2005, 05:16 PM
That's fresh, isn't it? As I am exactly the fan in Shanghai, I never know this :eek: :o Those who called him "big nose" can only be the noisy Ferrero fans here who always attacked Roger's appearance before while he beated their blonde charming again and again. The real Roger fans in Shanghai never pay much attention on his "nose", at least I never find it.

novanora
08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
:lol: That's true somehow :p

Roger doesn't have the usual charming look that appeals to most Easterners it seems. I found him pretty 'old' and very mediocre-looking at the first sight, surely not now :angel: :p But whilst I also don't get it why Ferrero and Hewitt would be so popular back then, especially Ferrero. Still don't get it now :confused:

But Roger's tennis ROCKS. Believe me, Roger's tennis can be as attractive as anything else to attract TMC audience, eg. Ferrero/Hewitt's looks, Safin's body, Andy's ass... ;)
Ferrero is popular here probably because they always think he looks melancholy, which seems a big attraction to the girls here.

yanchr
08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Ferrero is popular here probably because they always think he looks melancholy, which seems a big attraction to the girls here.
Ya, thanks for reminding me of his *cough* melancholy *cough* ;)

Dirk
08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I trust Roger's words. He has always been open and honest. COME ON NINJA WIN CINCY!!!!!!!!!

Nimomunz
08-03-2005, 05:39 PM
ferrero is liked coz he's hot and blonde and spanish!

edit: fuck the melancholy...........literally and figuratively :devil:

novanora
08-03-2005, 05:45 PM
ferrero is liked coz he's hot and blonde and spanish!

edit: fuck the melancholy...........literally and figuratively :devil:
i am not the native English speaker as you, so maybe you can remind me another proper word to describe it? no literally and figuratively? :o
no matter you agree it or not, it's the truth here.

Pea
08-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Is he really planning on playing Davis Cup?

jtipson
08-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Is he really planning on playing Davis Cup?

Oh yes. Pity for us, but he is. (Well, not a pity really - at least we will get to see him on TV.)

Nimomunz
08-03-2005, 06:36 PM
i am not the native English speaker as you, so maybe you can remind me another proper word to describe it? no literally and figuratively? :o
no matter you agree it or not, it's the truth here.
tongue-in-cheek! thats what i was going for!!

Daniel
08-15-2005, 03:10 AM
Go Roger :D :D