Do you wear contacts?! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you wear contacts?!

for-sure
08-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I am tired of being called names like nerd and geek...I want to switch over to contacts from conventional glasses...can someone please share their experience! :)
Thanks!
David.

Haute
08-02-2005, 04:39 PM
:wavey: It really depends from person to person. For some they have no problem with contacts, but for others no matter what they do the contacts will always dry their eyes out. I guess you just have to try them before you'll know how your eyes will handle them. :)

Micca
08-02-2005, 04:42 PM
I HAD glasses, but they just weren't for me .. I hated them and people couldn't see the real ME! :rolleyes: So I switched to contacts and I feel MUCH better :D It takes a while to get used to them, but you'll be ok! But as Sol Apollo said .. Depends on the person .. Some never get used to it and others are just meant to have glasses, just suits them better :)

Good luck! :yeah:

jole
08-02-2005, 04:43 PM
I switched to contacts in 8th grade and no regrets since. Just make sure you are prepared to care for them.

Nimomunz
08-02-2005, 04:47 PM
i love my contacts but when i'm lazy i still wear my glasses!

wat kind of fucking retards call you a nerd or geek just coz you have glasses? i thought people had grown up!!

Seleshfan
08-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I am tired of being called names like nerd and geek...I want to switch over to contacts from conventional glasses...can someone please share their experience! :)
Thanks!
David.

Hi for-sure. First things first. We have to establish that you are being called "nerd" and "geek" because of the glasses. It may, in fact, be to other things you're wearing, e.g., your pocket protector, T83 scientific calculator,
"I'm too sexy for this shirt," shirt. Once we've established that it's not your garb, it could be physical characteristics, e.g., your hair, voice, braces. If it's not that, it could be your friends. You could be GBA*. Now if you're a real geek, you would've assumed that stands for Game Boy Advance, but in this case it stands for "Geek By Association." Who are your friends? Are you or they in the math or chess club? Do you participate in Academic Decathlon? So once you've factored out all the variables, and are for sure it's your glasses. I would recommend them. I prefer the daily disposable kind. You just put on a fresh pair each day, toss them at night. No cleaning - Ever! Love it. They are a little more expensive, don't know what your budget is. But I spend about $450 US Dollars a year on them.

*GBA changed from NBA (Nerd by Association) after NBA was banned after a copyright lawsuit from the National Basketball Association.

Lucie
08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
i use contacts when i'm going out and for sport, but apart from that i just wear glasses, the people who call you geeks aren't worth the time of day, just ignore them.

however, if you feel like they would make a big change to your self-confidence, why not try them out. I use daily disposables and they're sooo confortable :)

RodLo
08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
I wear both. Mainly just my glasses when I'm feeling lazy, but most of the time I just wear my contacts.

If you're being called a geek for wearing glasses, those people are idiots. I know tons of people that wear non-prescription glasses because they like how they look. Don't worry about it. :hug:

Nimomunz
08-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi for-sure. First things first. We have to establish that you are being called "nerd" and "geek" because of the glasses. It may, in fact, be to other things you're wearing, e.g., your pocket protector, T83 scientific calculator,
"I'm too sexy for this shirt," shirt. Once we've established that it's not your garb, it could be physical characteristics, e.g., your hair, voice, braces. If it's not that, it could be your friends. You could be GBA*. Now if you're a real geek, you would've assumed that stands for Game Boy Advance, but in this case it stands for "Geek By Association." Who are your friends? Are you or they in the math or chess club? Do you participate in Academic Decathlon? So once you've factored out all the variables, and are for sure it's your glasses. I would recommend them. I prefer the daily disposable kind. You just put on a fresh pair each day, toss them at night. No cleaning - Ever! Love it. They are a little more expensive, don't know what your budget is. But I spend about $450 US Dollars a year on them.

*GBA changed from NBA (Nerd by Association) after NBA was banned after a copyright lawsuit from the National Basketball Association.
you've just exposed your a Geek!!! :rolls:

Lithuanian
08-02-2005, 07:33 PM
I like wearing contacts. Especially when I do sports because they are more comfortable than the glasses then. However, glasses are very good for the change of the looks.
But you shouldn't write glasses down just because fools call you names. They don't understand that it is really uncomfortable when you don't see well.

I<3Lindsay
08-02-2005, 07:37 PM
hi! :wavey:

I LOVE wearing contacts! They make me look better, feel better, and see better. The only problem occurs when i am at the computer and i keep my eyes open a long time to read stuff, it starts to dry out my eyes and it stings. Other then that, it is great!

But one word of advice:
If you can afford it and it is possible to get them where you are, you should get the "Night and Day" contacts. They are SOOOOOO much better, cause you can keep them in for a long time, even while you sleep. and, you never have to clean them! it says only to keep them in for a month, but i can go like 3 or 4 months wearing the same ones and it doesn't bother my eyes at all. The only problem is you have to buy them in like packs of six, so you would normally have to buy 2 boxes a year, and that can get really expensive. It cheaper to buy the other ones (which are harder), but these are a lot better!

EDIT:
And, oh yeah, its smarter to buy the night and day ones cause then when your eyes change, you can just order a different kind onec you run out of the old ones. If they change with the other contacts, you have to buy a new pair and it can be very expensive if your eyes change a lot.

I<3Lindsay
08-02-2005, 07:41 PM

:lol: Funny answer, lol.

Just something to think about for you seleshfan:
If you like the ones you throw out every night, you should try the contacts that you can wear for like a month at a time. You can sleep with them in, and don't ever have to clean them. Its a little cheaper and i think its easier. but hey, just my opinion. You do what you want ;)

Seleshfan
08-02-2005, 07:46 PM
you've just exposed your a Geek!!! :rolls:

Was there ever any doubt? :)

Seleshfan
08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
:lol: Funny answer, lol.

Just something to think about for you seleshfan:
If you like the ones you throw out every night, you should try the contacts that you can wear for like a month at a time. You can sleep with them in, and don't ever have to clean them. Its a little cheaper and i think its easier. but hey, just my opinion. You do what you want ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the Acuvue (sp?) once. These you wore for 2 weeks at a time. I didn't like them. I could just never get used to the idea of sleeping with contacts on. Now that I think about it, maybe I wasn't supposed to. LOL

I<3Lindsay
08-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the Acuvue (sp?) once. These you wore for 2 weeks at a time. I didn't like them. I could just never get used to the idea of sleeping with contacts on. Now that I think about it, maybe I wasn't supposed to. LOL

yeah. I have ones that are called "Night and Day" contacts, that you can wear for up to a month without changing them. After that, you just throw them away and put in a new pair. I usually wear them for like 3 months before changing them :o :lol

Eruwen
08-02-2005, 07:57 PM
I've been wearing contacts since I was 17, almost 18 (I'm 24, almost 25 now). I had glasses before that, but I never liked them... they made me feel ugly, they were uncomfortable and I just hated them. So then my parents finally allowed me to get contacts, and I LOVE them! It takes some getting used to putting them in (took me about half an hour for each one in the beginning :lol: ), but I just pop them in now, you'll quickly get used to that. I wouldn't want to miss them anymore (well, unless I could see well again without them of course ;) ), most of the time I don't even realise I have them in. Whether or not contacts are for you though, depends on your personal situation (ok, that was a crappy sentence, but you get the point :lol: ). Some ppl just can't bear them. Oh yeah, one piece of advice: think about if you're willing to take care of them... Depends on the type of contacts you choose (I have monthly ones that I take out at night), but you have to take care of them properly, or you could do serious damage to your eyes.

But, if your eyes are suitable for contacts, I think there's a good chance you'll love 'em! :yeah:

Seleshfan
08-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Get these contacts. The Nike Maxsights. You could look like this. I don't think anyone will be calling you a geek with these on. The foolish, and few brave ones, may call you an evil looking geek, but fortunately, it shouldn't happen to often.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3569378_36_2.jpg

sigmagirl91
08-02-2005, 08:14 PM
I used to wear contacts some time ago but couldn't because my eyes never could get used to them. So, I wear glasses now. Much better.

Éowyn
08-02-2005, 08:20 PM
i started wearing contacts when i was in upper school so about 13/14 i didn't tell anyone i was getting them, i was never unliked a school but wasn't particularly liked either (i was the one who stopped the bullies etc and stopped fights so was half and half if ya followe me) but i do remember the first day i wore them people were like WHOAH! i think they're great for your confidence if you are an unconfident person, personally i've never had that problem but thats just me, i think the main this is what you are happy with, if you are not happy in glasses then yes try contacts! speak to the optician and ask which one sthey recommend make sure you try all different options don't just let them coin you off with disposable ones coz they make more money from it, some peopels eyes suit gas permable (like me) some soft and some disposable make sure you try them all!
i also love mine coz i get very bad hayfever and it affects my eyes and they puff up and itch i don't know how but somehow my contacts counter the effect some how and hel me with that! also if you play sport it is definately worth, good luck let us know what you do!

but one more thing if people call you a nerd or a geek ignore them, fact is some people are just dumb and like to pick on others! if you're not happy with yourself then you have to do something about it, and if contacts make you feel better then it's a good start but whatever you do you have to ignore what anyone else thinks and be yourself :)

Suzi
08-02-2005, 10:50 PM
i wear glasses never tried contacts just coz i have this problem with sticking a finger in my eye :p i dunno it just totally freaks me out, but for those who call you a dork, who are they i sort em out :devil: haha

for-sure
08-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks everyone for this fun discussion. :)
It seems that a lot of you took issue with my geek/nerd comment. Let me explain...
I have one of those faces that gets completely altered by a pair of glasses. Since I am already more academically minded than the average person (and hear this...got braces at 19!) I can completely understand why people might assume I was a nerd and geek (keep in mind that the only person who calls me that with an intent to hurt my feelings is my mom).
While I don't think there is anything wrong with people who chose to live the life of a typical (for lack of a better term) "nerd" I do not think it accurately reveals who "I" am. People are always so shocked to find out that I like to go clubbing/partying and can be highly social. I find that when people place on me a certain expectations it feels odd to be "myself."

Seleshfan
08-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks everyone for this fun discussion. :)
It seems that a lot of you took issue with my geek/nerd comment. Let me explain...
I have one of those faces that gets completely altered by a pair of glasses. Since I am already more academically minded than the average person (and hear this...got braces at 19!) I can completely understand why people might assume I was a nerd and geek (keep in mind that the only person who calls me that with an intent to hurt my feelings is my mom).
While I don't think there is anything wrong with people who chose to live the life of a typical (for lack of a better term) "nerd" I do not think it accurately reveals who "I" am. People are always so shocked to find out that I like to go clubbing/partying and can be highly social. I find that when people place on me a certain expectations it feels odd to be "myself."

Oh honey, you're issues extend far beyond a glasses vs contacts discussion, if you're mom is calling you a geek and a nerd to hurt your feelings. Maybe we should be discussing Prozac vs Paxil, or Dr. Phil vs Oprah. And let me guess, was it your mom's fault you got braces so late? Well, if you ever need a hug, let me know. I have a geeky cousin that I could get to hug you:) And next time your mom calls you a nerd or geek, you tell her, "sticks and stones may break my bones, when the velocity of said objects exceeds the pressure threshold of my bones, but your malicious words will never be sufficient to cause my nerve endings to send electric signals to my brain indicating pain."

for-sure
08-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Oh honey, you're issues extend far beyond a glasses vs contacts discussion, if you're mom is calling you a geek and a nerd to hurt your feelings. Maybe we should be discussing Prozac vs Paxil, or Dr. Phil vs Oprah. And let me guess, was it your mom's fault you got braces so late? Well, if you ever need a hug, let me know. I have a geeky cousin that I could get to hug you:) And next time your mom calls you a nerd or geek, you tell her, "sticks and stones may break my bones, when the velocity of said objects exceeds the pressure threshold of my bones, but your malicious words will never be sufficient to cause my nerve endings to send electric signals to my brain indicating pain."
:eek: :eek:

YoursTruly
08-03-2005, 01:00 AM
I wish.

Breakaway
08-03-2005, 06:58 AM
I have worn contacts for 6 years since I was ten. And I have had no problems, I love them. :)

SuperFurryAnimal
08-03-2005, 07:14 AM
I really think you should consider a different kind of glasses... Maybe the type of glasses makes you like like a 'geek'. I really think it dumb to say people with glasses are all geeks. I wear glasses myself for almost two years now, and I've never considered myself to be geeky or something. As a matter of fact, I think my glasses really complete my face. I've only had nice comments on my glasses. Maybe I have more or less a face for glasses (most glasses suit me, if you know what I mean, same goes for hats - I have a glasses and hat face), but I don't think you should say glasses make you geeky. Just look for the right pair, glasses that suit you and make you sexy! ;) Good luck! :yeah:

alelysafina
08-03-2005, 08:24 AM
I would love to get the Night and day contacts!!! :D

Like everyone else has said, it really depends on the person. For example, I wear contacts, and I am very comftrable with them, they dont cause me any problems, and I use them pretty much every day, but my twin sister, cant even wear contacts, she has very sensative eyes, that she cant even put any contacts in so she just wears glasses.

Those people who have called you a nerd are stupid! they probvably do not see the totaly cool MTF poster we see before us ;)

alelysafina
08-03-2005, 08:27 AM

Darn that NBA!!!! :fiery:

Nimomunz
08-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Darn that NBA!!!! :fiery:
wat about the damn NFL?!! :mad:

NFL= Nerd For Life

siobhan
08-03-2005, 08:15 PM
I tried using contacts when I was 18 (I'm 24 now), but I couldn't stand it. I couldn't get the soft ones because they wouldn't correct that strange thing that's wrong with my eyes (I've absolutely NO idea how to say that in English :lol: ) and my eyes are quite sensitive. I've no problem with touching my eye with my finger, but they dry up rapidly and then it's just awful. And every time something got in my eye, I would just cry and cry and cry because it really hurt. I tried for half a year and then I gave up, partly because people told me my face looked "empty" without glasses. It's true, though, I guess I do have a glasses face. I sometimes wish I could use contacts, but by now I've made my peace with the glasses. I keep telling myself they make me look smart. :lol:

VingaRafel
08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
I have been wearing contacts since I was a teenager. They have saved my life because I would have never gotten laid in my life. My glasses were big and thick...ujj..horrible!! My contacts are soft and I don't notice them at all, unless I've been wearing them for 14 hours. I sometimes wear my glasses, but when it's time to go out hunting..no way!! I make sure I have my contacts on, my Diesel jeans and I am ready! :lol:
I encourage you to try them.

Seleshfan
08-04-2005, 12:05 AM
I have been wearing contacts since I was a teenager. They have saved my life because I would have never gotten laid in my life. My glasses were big and thick...ujj..horrible!! My contacts are soft and I don't notice them at all, unless I've been wearing them for 14 hours. I sometimes wear my glasses, but when it's time to go out hunting..no way!! I make sure I have my contacts on, my Diesel jeans and I am ready! :lol:
I encourage you to try them.

I would have done you Vinga. :devil:

its.like.that
08-04-2005, 12:28 AM
never had glasses or contacts :p

but thought i should contribute anyway :)

VingaRafel
08-04-2005, 01:37 AM
I would have done you Vinga. :devil:

:haha: Bad.. bad.. bad.. :haha: I have the feeling you would do anybody :devil: It's not the glasses you're after ah? :lol: :lol:

alelysafina
08-04-2005, 03:16 AM
wat about the damn NFL?!! :mad:

NFL= Nerd For Life

Darn the NFL too! :fiery: