Agassi out of Washington [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi out of Washington

RodLo
08-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, there goes any hope of having an Agassi/Roddick final. :shrug:

Agassi resting ahead of U.S. Open
Monday, August 1, 2005 Posted: 1642 GMT (0042 HKT)

WASHINGTON -- Andre Agassi withdrew from the ATP Washington Classic in the United States on Monday, one day after his 60th career title triumph in Los Angeles.

The 35-year-old American, second seed at this week's hardcourt tournament behind Andy Roddick, has won the title five times, most recently in 1999.

"At this point in my career I have to be extremely selective about the amount of matches that I play in preparation of the US Open," Agassi said.

His decision, explained in a letter faxed to tournament officials, added: "I am sorry that I will not be there this year but hope to return in 2006."

Agassi made his comeback from a two-month injury absence last week and won his fourth L.A. crown, defeating Luxembourg's Gilles Muller 6-4 7-5 in the final.

Muller ousted Agassi in the Washington semifinals last year.

Agassi had been sidelined by back pain caused from an inflamed sciatic nerve.

"Andre feels he needs to rest and we certainly understand that his health has to be his first priority," tournament chairman Donald Dell said. "We wish Andre nothing but the best."

Replacing Agassi in the 48-player draw will be Frenchman Sebastien de Chaunac.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/08/01/tennis.agassi/

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-01-2005, 07:26 PM
sh!t

mitalidas
08-01-2005, 07:48 PM
"At this point in my career I have to be extremely selective about the amount of matches that I play in preparation of the US Open," Agassi said.

His decision, explained in a letter faxed to tournament officials, added: "I am sorry that I will not be there this year but hope to return in 2006."

don't you need a legitimate medical or serious emergency reason ("i'm getting old" not qualifying as an emergency) to withdraw so late?
so he gets fined, no?

LaTenista
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Didn't Agassi & Roddick already play in a final? Like Houston 2003 or something like that?

Was to be expected I'm afraid. I remember being quite shocked last year when he played both Toronto and Cincy back to back.

the cat
08-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Andre needs to avoid over playing. I hope he plays only 1 more tournament before the U.S. Open.

SwissMister1
08-01-2005, 08:11 PM
don't you need a legitimate medical or serious emergency reason ("i'm getting old" not qualifying as an emergency) to withdraw so late?
so he gets fined, no?

I'm not really sure about the fining? I know he would have gotten fined if he had pulled out of a required tournament like Montreal or Cincinnati this late, not sure how it works for an optional tourney.

vogus
08-01-2005, 08:15 PM
so he gets fined, no?

LOL he might get fined like 10,000$.

But i imagine he'll also have to return the 250,000$ he was going to make in appearance money - so the fine isn't too important compared to that.

onewoman74
08-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Listen Agassi has to do what he has to do...his health comes first, no?

NYCtennisfan
08-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Didn't Fee predict that this would happen? Or was it Pea? It was someone on this board and it does really make sense.

mitalidas
08-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Listen Agassi has to do what he has to do...his health comes first, no?

He is a free man in a free country so he surely can withdraw without being imprisoned, whether its for age or other reasons. That was not the question though. The question is whether withdrawing so late without a medical reason incurs a fine.

oneandonlyhsn
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Man this tournie is going to be a bore, poor organizers :lol:

euroka1
08-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Man this tournie is going to be a bore, poor organizers :lol:

I agree. I live in Washington and frankly couldn't be bothered going. More interesting things to do like PLAYING tennis. But they fill the stands with advance sales. Professional tennis is all money, I'm afraid.

Papakori
08-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Get better soon Andre!

Fumus
08-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Well that sucks...oh well...go Roddick.

Seleshfan
08-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Well everything happens for a reason. This week it's Sebastien de Chaunac's time to shine. Allez Chaunac!!!

Iheartandy&roger
08-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Damn that is the dumps but I think that i'd rather see Agassi in the US open than having him have to pull out of it. Health comes first as always! :) Well go Andy!

suus21
08-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Didn't Agassi & Roddick already play in a final? Like Houston 2003 or something like that?

Was to be expected I'm afraid. I remember being quite shocked last year when he played both Toronto and Cincy back to back.
he didn't play back to back one week later was cincinnatti

NYCtennisfan
08-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Agassi has completely owned this tournament over the years. He has won this tournament 5 times, been runner-up once, and even runner-up once playing doubles with Sargis in 2000.

RodLo
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM

Yes, they've played numerous times...that was not the meaning of my comment. It was applied to Washington and only Washington...not all tournaments as a whole.

Gigan
08-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Agassi has completely owned this tournament over the years. He has won this tournament 5 times, been runner-up once, and even runner-up once playing doubles with Sargis in 2000.

:wavey: :wavey:

LaTenista
08-01-2005, 10:32 PM
he didn't play back to back one week later was cincinnatti

Cincinnati is always the week after Canada. Back to back means two weeks in a row. Agassi lost in the 2nd round at Toronto and by Friday of that week he was in Cincy already practicing there. He played all the next week since he won the tournament.

Fee
08-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Didn't Fee predict that this would happen?

Yes, I did, in the 'who can stop a roddick/agassi final' thread. I'm not sure if Andre is going to be fined for this, but if he is its probably $10,000 or less since its just an optional tournament (too lazy to check the ATP rulebook). As for his appearance fee, I think it was more than $250,000. I've heard he doesn't even consider an optional tournament unless he's offered $500,000. He made plenty of money in LA, so I'm sure his checkbook is safe for another week.

LaTenista
08-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Yes, I did, in the 'who can stop a roddick/agassi final' thread. I'm not sure if Andre is going to be fined for this, but if he is its probably $10,000 or less since its just an optional tournament (too lazy to check the ATP rulebook). As for his appearance fee, I think it was more than $250,000. I've heard he doesn't even consider an optional tournament unless he's offered $500,000. He made plenty of money in LA, so I'm sure his checkbook is safe for another week.

So if tournaments don't give him the money, he'd play no optionals (just the 4 GS and 9 TMS)? :confused: Is it even statistically possible to be in the Top 10 and only play 13 tournaments a year?

David Kenzie
08-02-2005, 12:29 AM
So if tournaments don't give him the money, he'd play no optionals (just the 4 GS and 9 TMS)? :confused: Is it even statistically possible to be in the Top 10 and only play 13 tournaments a year?
You can be Number 1 with only 4 tournaments !
Seriously, I don't think he even asks himself that question because there are lots of tournaments willing to pay him big money. Also don't forget that only 5 optional tournaments actually count, so its not that significant.

Fee
08-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Good question, but I don't know. I don't know if Andre has had to ask himself that question in a few years because he's been able to get guarantees for so long, mostly from the same tournaments (San Jose, Scottsdale, Houston, LA, DC...). I don't think he's ever played Memphis or Delray Beach, and he flew from the US to Dubai and back to the US in February just to play the tournament there for one week (allegedly for close to a million). I'm sure if every tournament director on the ATP tour agreed not to give Andre any money, he'd pick the tournaments he really wanted to play and go there anyway, but he's a legend and he's built up this power over the course of his career. The rules allow it, so he may as well use it.

disturb3d
08-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Great news.

Deboogle!.
08-02-2005, 02:50 AM
Considering how much Andre is getting paid JUST to wear adidas for the next 3 years, and considering how much he and his wife have together, I really don't think he'll miss the half a million or whatever it is in missing appearance fee ;)

Mimi
08-02-2005, 03:42 AM
why he can just write a letter to withdraw one day before the tourney starts while nadal has to travel to croatia to explain :confused:

sigmagirl91
08-02-2005, 03:43 AM
why he can just write a letter to withdraw one day before the tourney starts while nadal has to travel to croatia to explain :confused:

One word for that, mimi: CLOUT!!!

Neely
08-02-2005, 03:52 AM
What about Gaudio? Did he also have to travel to Sopot to explain or was a letter enough for him? I'm sure the people who counted on him would like to know why he originally planned to play this event and now he decided that his old "injury" was becoming bad enough again to force him to withdraw whereas he could play good enough tennis the days before to beat everybody quite easily in Kitzbühel.

Mimi
08-02-2005, 03:56 AM
thanks sigmagirl91 :wavey:
One word for that, mimi: CLOUT!!!

sigmagirl91
08-02-2005, 03:58 AM
thanks sigmagirl91 :wavey:

I thought you'd understand. Such a shame, really, but that's the way stuff is.

Mimi
08-02-2005, 04:09 AM
i hope i understood, i guess its because of this "double standard" :p , Agassi has more power than rafa :p
I thought you'd understand. Such a shame, really, but that's the way stuff is.

megadeth
08-02-2005, 04:37 AM
he can pay off the fine by selling his watch in ebay :p

Mimi
08-02-2005, 04:46 AM
wow, i don'tknow that the watch is so expensive :eek:
he can pay off the fine by selling his watch in ebay :p

Scotso
08-02-2005, 05:54 AM
A bit of a blow to the event in general, but I'm happy I'll be able to see Sebastien.

Experimentee
08-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I was hoping he would withdraw. He has TMS events ahead and 4 straight weeks is too much for him.
Theres been a lot of withdrawals lately, Nadal, Gaudio and Agassi. All are preparing for the upcoming Masters events which should be good.

Adman
08-02-2005, 03:41 PM
For Andre the good comes with the bad unfortunatly.