Chat with Timbo [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Chat with Timbo

SwissMister1
08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
http://*****.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8853

Take out the five stars and put in the word "p r o x y" but with no spaces, for some reason whenever I try to type that word, this site puts stars in instead. I don't know why it is doing that.

Welcome to The Show! On Monday, tennis star Tim Henman will stop by to take your questions on the verge of the 2005 Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington, D.C., a tournament he won in 2003, defeating Fernando Gonzalez of Chile.
This tournament will mark Henman?s first action since losing in the second round of the Championships at the All England Club. After a first-round bye, Henman will face the winner of the first-round encounter between a qualifier and South Africa?s Wesley Moodie, the Wimbledon doubles champion.

The summer season marks an exciting time in tennis as the popularity of the sport continues to rise. Before the start of Wimbledon, more than 3,000,000 fans had attended an ATP event, up more than 65,000 from last year.

Send your questions for Tim now and join The Show at 2 p.m. ET!

Papakori
08-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Oooh thanks! I think I will submit a question to Tim

Angle Queen
08-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks, SwissMr! I've already submitted my question and hope I can figure out how to 'watch' the Chat.

Go Tim!!!

Saumon
08-01-2005, 07:02 PM
"tim did you know that tursunov wrote a poem and that he quoted your name in it?" :lol:

I got convicted so many times
This is just one
Of my terrible crimes-
I took out Henman
On Center Court
They called it molesting
And that's not a sport

Angle Queen
08-01-2005, 07:09 PM
:woohoo:

He answered my question:

Is there a shot...or a game...in recent memory...that you'd like to have back...that you'd play differently if you had the chance to do it over again?
I guess my semi at Wimbledon in '01 against Goran. That was such a unique match ... with all the rain delays .. I would like to go back and stop the rain! Not sure I would change what I did, but I would like to change the outcome.

SwissMister1
08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
That was a good question to ask, Marlene, and Tim didn't shy away from mentioning that match. Funny that he would take the golf clubs over racquets :)

Angle Queen
08-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Funny that he would take the golf clubs over racquets :)Those...and some chocolate chip cookies. :drool: My favs too.

EDIT: And they happen to be the speciality of the house. If I ever get a chance to meet him in person, I'll have to whip up a batch. :angel:

SwissMister1
08-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Those...and some chocolate chip cookies. :drool: My favs too.

EDIT: And they happen to be the speciality of the house. If I ever get a chance to meet him in person, I'll have to whip up a batch. :angel:

I met him on Sat., but he had just finished a practice session in the heat, and probably wasn't in the mood for warm freshly baked chocolate cookies.

Angle Queen
08-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Probably not...but it's the thought that counts, eh?

SwissMister1
08-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Here is the transcript from the chat from espn.com:

Buzzmaster: (1:56 PM ET ) Helloooooooo! Tennis, anyone? British No. 1 Tim Henman will be here shortly to take your questions live from Washington, D.C., site of the 2005 Legg Mason Tennis Classic!

Tim Henman: (2:01 PM ET ) I am here and ready to go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jessica, Portland, OR: Hi Tim. Washington D.C. is known for its brutal humidity in the summer...how do you combat that when playing a match and still maximize your endurance?

Tim Henman: (2:02 PM ET ) It's not always easy! We are fortunate here in that we start matches at 4pm in the afternoon. That helps. But it's just a question of getting used to playing in the heat after some time off. Hydration is a big factore. Your fluid intake has to be high.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marlene (Richmond VA): Is there a shot...or a game...in recent memory...that you'd like to have back...that you'd play differently if you had the chance to do it over again?

Tim Henman: (2:03 PM ET ) I guess my semi at Wimbledon in '01 against Goran. That was such a unique match ... with all the rain delays .. I would like to go back and stop the rain! Not sure I would change what I did, but I would like to change the outcome.

Andrew Ada, Oklahoma: How is your confidence level coming into a tournament you've already won, after your results at Wimbledon this year? Good luck Tim.

Tim Henman: (2:04 PM ET ) It certainly helps. I didn't defend my title here because of Olympics so that was disappointing. In a funny way, I feel like I'm back to defend it now!

Alex (DC): You're a 3 seed?! You could destroy Agassi!

Tim Henman: (2:05 PM ET ) That's nice you have so much confidence in me! But Andre is still playing really well. We've had similar back issues and he wasn't able to play well recently. But to win his first tournament back is impressive.

Abid (Fredericton, NB Canada): Who was tougher to play; Sampras or Federer?

Tim Henman: (2:06 PM ET ) Good question! In today's conditions, things are much slower than in Sampras' day, and Federer has the more complete game. But if you took Sampras in his environment, he was just so tough to play against. Bottom line, they are both phenomenal players.

Abid (Fredericton, NB Canada): With Agassi winning tournaments at 35 years old, do you think you'll want to play on tour when you're 35,or even older?

Tim Henman: (2:07 PM ET ) I don't know. It's hard to predict. It can get harder physically because you have more issues with your body as you get older. You have to be so smart in your training. I love what I do though. If I can stay healthy, I'd like to keep playing for several years.

Nicole San Antonio, TX: Which 3 things would you take with you to a deserted island?

Tim Henman: (2:08 PM ET ) Oooohh! That's tough! What about my wife and daughters?! If that doesn't count, probably some music, maybe a golf club and some golf balls and chocolate chip cookies!

Kirill, Eastchester, New York: Tim, what is it like to be on the ATP tour and having to travel from tournament to tournament? Does it get tiring and frustrating at any point?

Tim Henman: (2:09 PM ET ) You have to accept the travel because tennis is such a global game. I'm accustomed to it. But I think it changes with a family. I have two young daughters so I try to do my schedule so I'm not away from home for two long.

robert harris (dayton,ohio): did your wife lucy and your daughters Rosie and Olivia come to the USA with you?

Tim Henman: (2:09 PM ET ) They are not here this week. I think there is a good chance they will come over soon, possibly for the US Open.

Tom (Belgium) : Hello Tim! How does a typical practice day look like?

Tim Henman: (2:10 PM ET ) When I'm not at a tournament it's two really good sessions. Spending 90-120 minutes on the court and the same time in the gym. I'm on the track a lot, lifting for injury prevention and for strength as well. You have to be physically fit to have the endurance to play 3-4 hours in the heat.

Steve (Milwaukee, WI): Besides the Legg Mason, what tournaments will you play to prepare for the US Open?

Tim Henman: (2:11 PM ET ) My schedule is this tournament and then Montreal and Cincinnati. Then it's off to NY after a couple days rest and some good practice.

Melissa(St. louis, MO): Hey tim! What do you like to do in your spare time if you have a day or two off? Thanks!

Tim Henman: (2:12 PM ET ) It depends. Given the chance, I like to play golf. I've cut back on that a bit but I love to get out and play. It also depends if I'm at home or not. When at home, I just want to spend as much time with them as I can.

chris (las vegas): Do you play tennis with your daughters? Do they show interest in playing tennis when they get older?

Tim Henman: (2:13 PM ET ) Not yet! The oldest one is almost 3. She hasn't started hitting yet. The other is 8 months! We'll see!

Tim Henman: (2:13 PM ET ) There is part of me that appreciates what tennis has given me and maybe they would like to try it, but I also think they should do something different. I'm sure they will make their own decision.

robert harris (dayton,ohio): whos your fav. golfer?

Tim Henman: (2:14 PM ET ) Probably Ernie Els. I just like his whole demeanor, his swing, his attitude, all of it.

Lynda (Washington DC): Hey Tim! If u weren't a tennis player, what other profession would you pursue?

Tim Henman: (2:14 PM ET ) I'd want to be involved in another sport somehow. I played everything until was 12 or 13 .. I've always been really into all sports.

Lieven (Charlottesville, VA): Tim how do you like playing at night under the lights?

Tim Henman: (2:15 PM ET ) Sometimes it's a great atmosphere. It creates an extra something for the match. Having said that, if it makes it cooler, it can slow the conditions down. I prefer the quicker conditions. But I've played some really good matches at night. You just have to adjust to it.

Edward (phoenix, az): Do you have a lot of female fans that follow you around? Is it difficult to navigate around London with your family considering how famous you are?

Tim Henman: (2:17 PM ET ) My family doesn't live right in London anymore. So we don't spend much time in town. But that aspect does take you by surprise, people looking at you and asking for autographs. But you do get used to it. It's not always comfortable but you need to accept it because it is out of your control. I don't have a problem with it at all. Likewise, my wife is used to it. I'm sure my children will as well.

Chicago, IL: Hello Tim. There are less serve-and-volleyers than there used to be. What made you decide to pursue that strategy, and is it harder in today's game?

Tim Henman: (2:18 PM ET ) When I first started playing professionally, the conditions favored that style, but no doubt, in the last 5-6 years the game has slowed down. But you are still able to play that type of game. You've got to be good at it to play it in these conditions. But there are less people doing it so your opponent isn't always used it it.

Ben from Baltimore, Maryland: Tim, I watched you beat Andy Roddick at the 2003 Legg Mason Tennis Classic in remarkable comeback fashion. Where would you rank that match among your greatest career wins?

Tim Henman: (2:20 PM ET ) Don't get me wrong, it was a really good match, but I've had quite a few in my career. He was at the beginning of his run that summer where he run all the other tournaments. So, a couple weeks after I felt even better about that win.

Peter, Toronto, Canada: Do you have any superstitions or rituals when it comes to your game?

Tim Henman: (2:21 PM ET ) I think sometimes I can be. You can get into a routine of doing things the same way .. the same locker, practicing at the same time, etc. Early on at Wimbledon always used the same shower. I'm sure it had no bearing on my play, but you never know. I got tired of waiting to use the same one so I gave up.

Anne, US: Are you a football (soccer) fan? Who do you root for?

Tim Henman: (2:21 PM ET ) I've always followed Oxford United. I do enjoy watching them. I used to live by Fulham so I keep an eye on them.

CP, Oxford: Hi Tim, it's a fellow Brit here wondering if you felt any less pressure this year from the highly over-critical British public with the rise of Andy Murray?

Tim Henman: (2:23 PM ET ) It's something I've talked about for a long time, having more guys at the top of the game. The press is very opinionated but I try not to pay too much attention. The better Andy can do, the better it is for our country and the game of tennis.

Dante, Naples Italy: Dear Tim , i'm your supporter from Italy because your serve and volley it's fantastic and I love very much this, a little question for you after Wimbledon you haven't play another tournament, after this relief period, are you confident for this tournament or for the inactivity have you lost the games rhytm. thanks and go Tim

Tim Henman: (2:25 PM ET ) I don't think it hurts my rythem.. ironically, we went to Italy while I was off! But you just have to prepare mentally and make sure you are ready to go when the tournament starts. Fortunately, I trained very well and I'm feeling really good heading into this week.

I have to get out on the practice courts but I really enjoyed taking your questions and I hope we can do this again sometime. Cheers!

LaTenista
08-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Good job Angle Queen!

I submitted two questions, 1 before the chat and one during but neither got answered. :( Seemed a bit unfair that several people had 2 of their questions answered. :scratch:

Never met Tim but Lucy and Rosie walked right past me at Cincy last year but I was too shy to open my mouth.

Angle Queen
08-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Sorry, LaTenista. :hug:

Out of curiosity, what did you ask?

On the whole, I thought most of the questions were good ones -- a far cry from the usual drivel reporters ask...like...how did it feel to get the win today? Blah, blah, blah.

Deboogle!.
08-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Fans always ask better questions than reporters :yeah:

Nice chat from Timmy and thanks SwissMister for the transcript :D

LaTenista
08-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Sorry, LaTenista. :hug:

Out of curiosity, what did you ask?

On the whole, I thought most of the questions were good ones -- a far cry from the usual drivel reporters ask...like...how did it feel to get the win today? Blah, blah, blah.

Thanks. My 1st one was his thoughts on talk about Indian Wells moving to China (he's been a finalist there twice) and the other was who his favourite player to practice with at a tournament.

I think it helped Tim hadn't played a match so there weren't going to be any of those sort of post-match interview obvious standard questions. ;)

MariaV
08-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Good questions, I agree. :)

Thanks for the transcript SwissMister. :D