Questions for those that have gone to the tournament [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Questions for those that have gone to the tournament

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Sorry, but my first time there. I'm going on Wednesday and arriving by train in Union Station.

1) Can I bring a backpack on to the grounds?

2) Since the shuttle doesn't start to leave from the metro until an hour before and I would like to go early to see practice, how far is it from Union Station to the tennis grounds? A huge taxi bill?

3) Since the taxi driver probably won't know where the tennis grounds are, what is something near it so the driver will have a clue where I want him to take me.

Thanks.

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh wait found directions on the Legg Mason site - from downtown take 16th Street, NW north for 4 miles. Shouldn't be too bad of a taxi bill.

But still wondering if I can bring a backpack in.

smucav
08-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Sorry, but my first time there. I'm going on Wednesday and arriving by train in Union Station.

1) Can I bring a backpack on to the grounds?

2) Since the shuttle doesn't start to leave from the metro until an hour before and I would like to go early to see practice, how far is it from Union Station to the tennis grounds? A huge taxi bill?

3) Since the taxi driver probably won't know where the tennis grounds are, what is something near it so the driver will have a clue where I want him to take me.

Thanks.Don't take a taxi. There is free transportation from the Metro. Take the Metro (red line) to Van Ness & wait for the shuttle. It comes every 10 minutes & will drop you off right at the gate. (When you leave, take the North exit to the shuttle pick-up tents & line up for the one back to Van Ness (there are also shuttles to the off-site parking).

You can bring bags (no glass bottles or coolers), but remember the security in Washington is always tight so there are random bag checks just like at the airport.

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Don't take a taxi. There is free transportation from the Metro. Take the Metro (red line) to Van Ness & wait for the shuttle. It comes every 10 minutes & will drop you off right at the gate. (When you leave, take the North exit to the shuttle pick-up tents & line up for the one back to Van Ness (there are also shuttles to the off-site parking).

You can bring bags (no glass bottles or coolers), but remember the security in Washington is always tight so there are random bag checks just like at the airport.

Thanks smucav! And good news about bags. (Not worried about security checks - we have them here in NYC too.)

The problem with the shuttle is that the site says that it doesn't start until 3:00 - I'm going to get there around 11:00 so I can watch some practices. Its good for coming back though.

So one last question...lol! If I take the metro to Van Ness, any taxis around there? Or better to get off at Dupont Circle - there's always taxis there.

smucav
08-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks smucav! And good news about bags. (Not worried about security checks - we have them here in NYC too.)

The problem with the shuttle is that the site says that it doesn't start until 3:00 - I'm going to get there around 11:00 so I can watch some practices. Its good for coming back though.

So one last question...lol! If I take the metro to Van Ness, any taxis around there? Or better to get off at Dupont Circle - there's always taxis there.No one here is really phased by additional security procedures since they've been in place forever, but tourists are always up in arms, so I just thought I would warn you.

You might want to call & make sure you can get in at 11:00 a.m. I'm not sure what time the ticket-takers arrive. I have a credential so I can get in anytime, but I was under the impression that everyone else can't get in until a few hours before the first session of the day. I might be wrong though. (I've never really gotten there too early in previous years I've attended without the credential.)

I'm not really that familiar with the area around Van Ness, but during the day & rush hour, there seem to be plenty of cabs driving by. If you're talking about later at night after the tournament, you are probably better off going to Dupont. You definitely won't have a problem finding one there.

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Good thing you said that smucav - I just called - can't get in until 3:00.

Well, that stinks. Half the fun of going to a tournament is watching practice where you can be very close and take some pictures.

If Nico is scheduled on the main stadium on Wednesday, I may not go after all. Won't be able to see him close up so why bother. I'd rather save my time/money for a tournament where I can see him up close.

What a total bummer. I've looked so forward to this tournament. :sad:

smucav
08-01-2005, 01:48 PM

Well, that stinks. Half the fun of going to a tournament is watching practice where you can be very close and take some pictures.

If Nico is scheduled on the main stadium on Wednesday, I may not go after all. Won't be able to see him close up so why bother. I'd rather save my time/money for a tournament where I can see him up close.

What a total bummer. I've looked so forward to this tournament. :sad:The stadium isn't that big (7,500 seats) so you can see well from even the upper deck. Also, during the week most of the series ticket holders only show up for the 7:00 p.m. matches (usually Roddick or Agassi) so you could probably move down to a closer seat during any of the other ones.

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
The stadium isn't that big (7,500 seats) so you can see well from even the upper deck. Also, during the week most of the series ticket holders only show up for the 7:00 p.m. matches (usually Roddick or Agassi) so you could probably move down to a closer seat during any of the other ones.

Oh that's different. I guess I was thinking Arthur Ashe sized stadium...lol!

SwissMister1
08-01-2005, 02:46 PM
The stadium is nowhere near the size of that monstrosity, you should definitely have some good sight lines, and the opportunity to move up, at least in the daytime.

Bags shouldn't be a problem, I didn't have my camera bag searched or anything. I don't know what their policy is on bringing food or whatever in, but the food isn't too expensive compared to, say the US Open.

Scotso
08-01-2005, 03:18 PM

What a total bummer. I've looked so forward to this tournament. :sad:

You should go. It's a chance to see something fun and relatively inexpensive, since you live so close. Why not take the opportunity? I know you're going to those other events, but still. And they're right about the stadium. On the tournament website on the tickets page, they have pictures of what it looks like viewing from each level... even the top level doesn't look far away at all.

I'm going to go Monday-Thursday and MAYBE Friday if Karol or Paul are still in the tournament. It doesn't look like I'll get the chance to meet Karol now since I can't go to practice sessions early and he already had a signing. Still, I want to go and see him play live so I can say I've seen my favorite player. If I don't meet him this time I will eventually.

I have a question for you, though. You said that Nico plays on Wednesday on the main court... how did you find that out? I'm on vacation here in DC and I'd like to do some other things during the week (like the outlet malls, lol... and the Holocaust Museum :angel: ) and I am having trouble planning because I can only get the tennis schedule late the night before. So if you have some way to find out who is playing when and where, that would be helpful to me as well.

Thanks!

Deboogle!.
08-01-2005, 03:37 PM
oh, KBF, go to the Holocaust Museum if you have the time. I was in DC on a conference a few years ago and I ducked out of it one day on my own to go over... it's really really worth it, but try to get a ticket beforehand as the lines during the summer can be really tough to get in. When I went, I did it through ticketmaster, even. I remember I spent the whole morning there. The ticketmaster fee was like $1 and I avoided like ALL the lines.

and omg Dupont Circle :hearts::inlove:

I'm glad the security there is good, last week at LA it was laughable. They didn't look at anything or anyone's stuff and people were walking in with coolers and everything. It was a bit unnerving, even at really really small-time tourneys like Scottsdale, they took a quick peek in the bag.

That stinks that even with matches not starting til 4pm they won't open the gates til 3. If they let people in to watch practices and stuff, I bet they'd sell food and stuff and make some money :p

Oh and have tons of fun to all who are going :D

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 03:38 PM
You should go. It's a chance to see something fun and relatively inexpensive, since you live so close. Why not take the opportunity? I know you're going to those other events, but still. And they're right about the stadium. On the tournament website on the tickets page, they have pictures of what it looks like viewing from each level... even the top level doesn't look far away at all.

I'm going to go Monday-Thursday and MAYBE Friday if Karol or Paul are still in the tournament. It doesn't look like I'll get the chance to meet Karol now since I can't go to practice sessions early and he already had a signing. Still, I want to go and see him play live so I can say I've seen my favorite player. If I don't meet him this time I will eventually.

I have a question for you, though. You said that Nico plays on Wednesday on the main court... how did you find that out? I'm on vacation here in DC and I'd like to do some other things during the week (like the outlet malls, lol... and the Holocaust Museum :angel: ) and I am having trouble planning because I can only get the tennis schedule late the night before. So if you have some way to find out who is playing when and where, that would be helpful to me as well.

Thanks!

I decided that I have to go no matter what...lol! Nico is 3 hours from me - I can't have him that close and not go see him after not seeing him since last year's US Open! :) Just the idea that he's here in the US - I can't concentrate on work... ;)

The things we do to see our favorite players - all this money, vacation time, effort, I'll have to get a part time job to pay it all off... ;) ... yet, I have to do it...lol!

The only reason that I was able to know about Wednesday was that Nico's dad told the Chilean newspapers that he was playing Wednesday.

But don't know if he's playing on the main stadium - he probably won't be but I was imagining worst case scenario. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have him on an outer court.

Once Wed is over though you can figure 3rd round Thurs, QF Friday, SFs Sat, and final Sunday. So if Karol and/or Paul are still in - you'll can count on those unless it rains (which I don't think that it is supposed to from what I remember from looking at weather.com from Wed to Fri).

Hope you get to see them!!!

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 03:45 PM
and omg Dupont Circle :hearts::inlove:

That stinks that even with matches not starting til 4pm they won't open the gates til 3. If they let people in to watch practices and stuff, I bet they'd sell food and stuff and make some money :p

I love Dupont Circle too!

And this is typical tennis - no accessibility to the players. When I go to Yankee Stadium, I know that if I get there when the gates open, I can see batting practice up close. If I go right when the doors open at Madison Square Garden, I can watch the Rangers warmup up close.

Tennis...makes life as rough as possible as it can for the fans. Guys practicing when the fans can't see them.

Some touranments don't even allow you to see practice.

When I'm at the US Open, I have to run from court to court to court to see if my favorites have come on (unlike Cincy which posts the practice times). And last year, practice day US Open, they put Roger (who the majority of people came to see) in AA stadium which isn't open to the public on practice day. Nice to the fans, huh?

And the 4:00 p.m. start really screwed me up. I had to get a hotel room because it will be over so late - more money. :sad:

Deboogle!.
08-01-2005, 03:49 PM
:( that seems true. Unfortunate, but true.

I remember last year in Houston when I went it didn't start til 4pm some days. I never understood why. lol.

SwissMister1
08-01-2005, 04:44 PM
:( that seems true. Unfortunate, but true.

I remember last year in Houston when I went it didn't start til 4pm some days. I never understood why. lol.

So people like me can go after work, and not have to take time off :p

DC is a very 9-5 working kind of town. If they want the politcal people, etc. to show up, they have to schedule the matches for the evenings.

Socket
08-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Nico,
Some suggestions from a Washington, DC resident.

You can get a taxi from the Van Ness metro station, although you might have to wait longer to flag one down than from Dupont Circle. But it might be worthwhile for you to check the Metro website (wmata.com) for the bus schedule. The tennis center is on a major north-south bus route, so you can save some money by taking a Metrobus there. If you decide to take a taxi, be sure to tell the driver the exact address and how to get there, because many Washington taxi drivers are recent immigrants and don't have a clue where anything outside of the major hotels and momuments is. Also, taxis in DC aren't metered, but use zone pricing (don't ask). It'll be more expensive that you think.

If you decide to go sight-seeing via Metro, be sure to ask about getting a $5 all-day Metropass, which is a real bargain.

I have a vague recollection that the shuttle bus service actually does start earlier than 3 pm, as the website says, but you might want to call the tournament office. They're aware that people like to come earlier to watch practice.

I won't be able to go all days this year, as I have in the past, but I'm going to try to buy weekend tickets (they almost never sell out except for the final).

Just read that Agassi has pulled out, which means that there will be definitely be extra tickets for the weekend.

When I first started going to this tournament, there was a day session starting at 11 am, and the practice courts were entirely open. Oh, for the good old days!

If you get bored, just take a walk through Rock Creek Park (where the tennis center is located). It's simply beautiful there.

Feel free to ignore the seat number on your ticket (except for some night sessions and the final) and sit where you want until the ticket-holder kicks you out. The best seats in the house are in the top row of the side under the huge awning. You can watch the 3 practice courts behind you if the match is boring, and there's a nice breeze up there.

Socket
08-01-2005, 05:06 PM
No one here is really phased by additional security procedures since they've been in place forever, but tourists are always up in arms, so I just thought I would warn you.

You might want to call & make sure you can get in at 11:00 a.m. I'm not sure what time the ticket-takers arrive. I have a credential so I can get in anytime, but I was under the impression that everyone else can't get in until a few hours before the first session of the day. I might be wrong though. (I've never really gotten there too early in previous years I've attended without the credential.)

I'm not really that familiar with the area around Van Ness, but during the day & rush hour, there seem to be plenty of cabs driving by. If you're talking about later at night after the tournament, you are probably better off going to Dupont. You definitely won't have a problem finding one there.
He should be able to get into the tennis center at 11 am, because it's a public facility. People play on the green clay courts during the tournament. But he probably won't be able to get into the stadium.

Edit: Hmm, just read the post saying that Nico was told he couldn't get in earlier than 3 pm. I would call the William Fitzgerald Tennis Center itself (NOT the tournament office) and ask them when they open for play. I think you'll get a different answer than the tournament.

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks Socket for the information!

I just called - they said the shuttles will start around 2:30.

I'll check out the bus schedule...I live in NY, and take subways all the time, but for some reason, I hate the bus. Probably will just take the metro to Dupont Circle and just cab it from there.

I will go there earlier - if they won't let me in, I'll bring a book with me and just read in the park.

And actually I'm a she but that's okay...lol!

Socket
08-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks Socket for the information!

I just called - they said the shuttles will start around 2:30.

I'll check out the bus schedule...I live in NY, and take subways all the time, but for some reason, I hate the bus. Probably will just take the metro to Dupont Circle and just cab it from there.

I will go there earlier - if they won't let me in, I'll bring a book with me and just read in the park.

And actually I'm a she but that's okay...lol!
Sorry about the gender mistake -- guess I was going by the photo in your avatar, although I know that's not you.

When you come up the long escalator from the Van Ness Metro station, go to the left and walk up the stairs. The shuttle vans will pick you up right there (in school's driveway).

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Socket - just sent you a pm.

Thanks again for the info, and no problem about the gender mistake - hard to know what gender people are here unless you've "chatted" with them on different forums awhile.

SonicCRO
08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey Socket - just sent you a pm.

Thanks again for the info, and no problem about the gender mistake - hard to know what gender people are here unless you've "chatted" with them on different forums awhile.

Nico can you send us some fresh info, or some news how some players preparing for tournament .... thanks :wavey:

NicoFan
08-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Nico can you send us some fresh info, or some news how some players preparing for tournament .... thanks :wavey:

I will definitely give a report...but unfortunately you'll have to wait until Thursday because I'm not going until Wednesday... :sad:

I will check out a lot of players...not only Nico...though he's the only one that counts...lol! ;)

SonicCRO
08-01-2005, 08:22 PM
I will definitely give a report...but unfortunately you'll have to wait until Thursday because I'm not going until Wednesday... :sad:

I will check out a lot of players...not only Nico...though he's the only one that counts...lol! ;)

:D :D , Ok thanks , send some info here on Thursday it will be good news from the first hand :wavey:

Scotso
08-02-2005, 03:43 AM
Nico, I got to Van Ness around 2:45 today and the shuttles to the tournament were already running, and there were a lot of people already on site.

smucav
08-02-2005, 04:44 AM
So people like me can go after work, and not have to take time off :p
DC is a very 9-5 working kind of town. If they want the politcal people, etc. to show up, they have to schedule the matches for the evenings.During the late 90s when the tournament was held in July, they still played a 1:30 session & an evening session every day. A lot of the players (including Michael Chang) complained that it was unfair to make some players play day matches (when it was hotter) early in the week, depleting their energy by the final weekend (when everyone has to play day matches). The ATP (not the tournament) dictated that all early week sessions start at 4:00 p.m. & also that the tournament be permanently moved to August instead of July. Ironically it really hasn't been that hot in July for any long period of time since then (until this year).Good thing you said that smucav - I just called - can't get in until 3:00.
Well, that stinks. Half the fun of going to a tournament is watching practice here you can be very close and take some pictures.
What a total bummer. I've looked so forward to this tournament. :sad:I did notice today that there were a bunch of people right outside the gate around 2:30 waiting for the gate/box office to open. You can see the three smaller practice courts from there & that's what most of them were doing to kill time.

Deboogle!.
08-02-2005, 04:48 AM
That's odd that the ATP would do something like that for DC but not for any of the other MANY tourneys that are played when it is significantly hotter during the day than at night (LA, DC, Indian Wells, Miami, Indianapolis, and the list goes on and on and on)...

smucav
08-02-2005, 05:03 AM
That's odd that the ATP would do something like that for DC but not for any of the other MANY tourneys that are played when it is significantly hotter during the day than at night (LA, DC, Indian Wells, Miami, Indianapolis, and the list goes on and on and on)...There was an article in the Post about it when it happened. The tournament obviously didn't want to do it since they would rather sell tickets for two sessions a day instead of one, but after a heat index of +100 for five years straight & multiple player complaints they had no choice but to do what the ATP wanted. I think there were some issues with fans passing out in the stands as well. (Probably tourists; people that live here are used to the heat/humidity, but obese tourists--who make up the majority of visitors to Washington--are always collapsing on the Metro or the Mall.