how much longer can he go on? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

how much longer can he go on?

ciccio
08-01-2005, 05:49 AM
How much longer do you think that Davide Sanguinetti can keep playing at the top level?

Over the weekend the 32 year old italian won the challenger in Recanati defeating daniele braccialli in three sets and moves up to 55 on the atp entry rankings.

Age doesn't seem to affect him and from 110 in the rankings at the start of the year to now being at 55, he is doing quite well, hopefully by the end of the year he can beat his best ranking of 43.

megadeth
08-01-2005, 05:53 AM
personally, i don't care much since he's not an impact player anyways :p

ciccio
08-01-2005, 07:53 AM
what do you mean by hes not an impact player, okay he doesn't go far in alot of the major tournaments with his best grand slam result being a qtr final at wimbledon a few years back, but you have to admire the guy, he is extreamly fit and get the most out of his game, he plays nothing like the people in this generation, he hits the ball very flat, he has an old school style.

Yoel and co.
08-01-2005, 10:08 AM
When I saw the title, I thought this is an AA thread :rolleyes:

FrogBurger
08-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Best of luck to him, ive always liked his game

ClaycourtaZzZz.
08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
LOL!!! he should retire as soon as he can, better for him, a 32 years old guy playing challengers... :rolleyes: he can't win matches on ATP tour level. Only a few this year... But no big names.

ciccio
08-01-2005, 11:31 AM
LOL!!! he should retire as soon as he can, better for him, a 32 years old guy playing challengers... :rolleyes: he can't win matches on ATP tour level. Only a few this year... But no big names.

if he carn't win matches on atp events how do you explain his ranking :confused:

Dragan
08-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Gianluca Pozzi was the man, he had the best style ever!

vogus
08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
I think Sanguinetti has the funkiest two handed backhand i've seen on the tour. He hits it as flat as a pancake, kind of like Connors used to.

DanEd
08-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Sanguinetti is a hell of player :worship: I think he will play at least one more year :banana:

its.like.that
08-01-2005, 05:03 PM
5 more years...

megadeth
08-02-2005, 01:22 AM
what do you mean by hes not an impact player, okay he doesn't go far in alot of the major tournaments with his best grand slam result being a qtr final at wimbledon a few years back, but you have to admire the guy, he is extreamly fit and get the most out of his game, he plays nothing like the people in this generation, he hits the ball very flat, he has an old school style.

Still, heís no factor. Not an impact player at all. Ask some tennis fans about him and Iím pretty sure a huge percentage wouldnít even care about it. besides, andreís even older and look at himÖ

Gets the most out of his game? How can you get most if you can barely even qualify for ATP international events?

Probably why heís not going anywhere because he keeps hitting the ball flat like you said. Thatís a low margin for error. Players today got smarter, using spin to improve consistency and still win points.

So what if he claims to play old school? Is old school only defined by hitting flat balls? I donít think so. Itís a mixture of every shot in the book and then some. Federer can be considered as someone who plays old school but with some modifications.

ciccio
08-02-2005, 03:56 AM
[QUOTE=megadeth]

Gets the most out of his game? How can you get most if you can barely even qualify for ATP international events?

QUOTE]

his ranking is 55, he doesn't need to qualify for most atp events :rolleyes:

FORZA DAVIDE

megadeth
08-02-2005, 03:59 AM
well excuse me, because it seems that his progres is so stagnant that we're not even aware if he is in the draw.

Mistaflava
08-02-2005, 03:59 AM
who cares unless he is an actual somebody in tennis. I agree that this thread should only be about someone like Andre Agassi...

Doctor Dance
08-02-2005, 04:06 AM
another 3 months

Mistaflava
08-02-2005, 04:10 AM
another 3 months

:haha:

sports freak
08-02-2005, 04:14 AM
another 3 months

Doc is that 3 months max???? :rolleyes:

Doctor Dance
08-02-2005, 04:16 AM
Doc is that 3 months max???? :rolleyes:

I'm being generous, how long is it till the US open again?

YoursTruly
08-02-2005, 04:26 AM
that's why the term is called "journeyman"

YoursTruly
08-02-2005, 04:28 AM
When I saw the title, I thought this is an AA thread :rolleyes:

With Andre fresh off the win (and another comeback story), you can't possibly ask that question towards Andre.

Mistaflava
08-02-2005, 04:28 AM
that's why the term is called "journeyman"

well said

:worship:

megadeth
08-02-2005, 04:34 AM
who cares unless he is an actual somebody in tennis. I agree that this thread should only be about someone like Andre Agassi...

definitely.

maybe the thread starter is sanguinetti's relative...

sports freak
08-02-2005, 04:34 AM
With Andre fresh off the win (and another comeback story), you can't possibly ask that question towards Andre.

The champ is a god damn legend n still a machine,plenty of ticker left no doubt!!! Andre at Aus Open :worship: for who u are!!!!

Mistaflava
08-02-2005, 04:37 AM
definitely.

:haha:

sports freak
08-02-2005, 04:38 AM
well said

Mista you like ur bases???? a system play on Texas ml for Tuesday!!!(29-0 system) but the run line is not a system play so at own risk for the -1.5!!!!!peace

trulliscorpion
08-02-2005, 04:51 AM
He's damn #55. You can't be near the Top 50 if you only win a couple of matches on challengers, like everyone says! Come on admit it, the man does pretty well for what he can!

Mistaflava
08-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Mista you like ur bases???? a system play on Texas ml for Tuesday!!!(29-0 system) but the run line is not a system play so at own risk for the -1.5!!!!!peace

thanks for the tip mate. I love bases and will cap the games in the morning with that in mind

sports freak
08-02-2005, 05:18 AM
thanks for the tip mate. I love bases and will cap the games in the morning with that in mind

No problemo,anytime!!!

ciccio
08-02-2005, 05:22 AM
definitely.

no i'm not a relative, i'm half italian and therefore keep a close interest on how all italian tennis players are doing,

however i have met and spoken to him on a number of occasions at the hopman cup in perth, he is a nice guy very family orientated and was very appreciative of the vocal/chanting support that our italian supporters gave him and francesca schiavone at the hopman cup in perth.

If any of you saw italy's matches at the hopman cup in perth this year you would of definantly seen our group, which incidently is going to the soccer world cup next year in germany to support the italians. www.freewebs.com/tifo_italo-australiano

anyhow back to the topic, the reason why i asked the question is because i like the guy, he is a great bloke who went out of his way to have a good chat and talk about italian soccer etc (he is a juve fan), how many tennis players are fan friendly like him, ive approached many others and all they do is sign and piss off, davide is a great bloke and a decent player, i hope he plays for many more years at the top level,

FORZA SANGUINETTI

Kristen
08-02-2005, 05:30 AM
Maybe you are approaching the wrong players?
(Or maybe it helps that I am a polite, young woman when I approach them :lol: )

I'm sure he must be lovely off court, but on-court, of the matches I've seen, he does nothing to interest me and reminds me of a cwertain Australian I love to loathe. :hug: However, having said all that, it's a great effort to be older, and still ranked quite high, so hopefully he'll be around to frustrate me for at least another year ;)

ciccio
08-02-2005, 05:33 AM
in what way does he frustrate u?

Kristen
08-02-2005, 05:38 AM
When things don't go according to plan for him, and he bitches and moans and carries on. (Think Labadze, Koellerer) EG. Doubles with Hanescu at Aus Open a couple of years back... Singles against Nieminen this year. You just want to scream out "Get over it! Dahveed!" Of course, of the matches I have seen, he has lost them. I don't go out of my way to watch him, unless he plays someone I support.

For all I know, this might not be a regular occurrence for him. Off court he could be the coolest guy (being married, I assume there's something good about him). I do feel this way about a few other players on the tour, so I'm not just making an example of him... :) Hope it all made sense.

ciccio
08-02-2005, 05:46 AM
yeah i get what your saying, when things go against him he starts talking to himself etc, waving his hands around. but he doesn't mean any disrespect to the other player, its kind of an italian thing, you know italians are very exhuberant people.

http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/shared/photos/rx/sanguinetti1272_rx.jpg

http://www.tennis.info/images/US4/06Wed/Sanguinetti5749.jpg

megadeth
08-02-2005, 08:07 AM
no i'm not a relative, i'm half italian and therefore keep a close interest on how all italian tennis players are doing,

however i have met and spoken to him on a number of occasions at the hopman cup in perth, he is a nice guy very family orientated and was very appreciative of the vocal/chanting support that our italian supporters gave him and francesca schiavone at the hopman cup in perth.

If any of you saw italy's matches at the hopman cup in perth this year you would of definantly seen our group, which incidently is going to the soccer world cup next year in germany to support the italians. www.freewebs.com/tifo_italo-australiano

anyhow back to the topic, the reason why i asked the question is because i like the guy, he is a great bloke who went out of his way to have a good chat and talk about italian soccer etc (he is a juve fan), how many tennis players are fan friendly like him, ive approached many others and all they do is sign and piss off, davide is a great bloke and a decent player, i hope he plays for many more years at the top level,

FORZA SANGUINETTI

ok, i apologize... i guess it was just a conflict of interest. although i still reiterate that david isn't in my list.

ciccio
08-02-2005, 08:10 AM
ok, i apologize... i guess it was just a conflict of interest. although i still reiterate that david isn't in my list.

how could it be a conflict of interest?

megadeth
08-02-2005, 08:21 AM
that you seem to force upon everyone here that david is soooo good, but to everyone else here, he's just another commoner in the tennis world.

nothing special, no good mentionable achievements, no nothing.

heck, even spadea is getting more headlines than him.

the point is, go ahead and admire your idol, but we'd rather look up at the real achievers.

can't believe you're still contesting the validity of your thread even it makes you look.... er.. eccentric.... despite the fact that i already apologized...

ciccio
08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
that you seem to force upon everyone here that david is soooo good, but to everyone else here, he's just another commoner in the tennis world.

nothing special, no good mentionable achievements, no nothing.

heck, even spadea is getting more headlines than him.

the point is, go ahead and admire your idol, but we'd rather look up at the real achievers.

can't believe you're still contesting the validity of your thread even it makes you look.... er.. eccentric.... despite the fact that i already apologized...

i'm not trying to force upon anything, i'm just stating my experiences and the fact that i support him :confused: