Ex-king of Umag gives up his throne and "hands"Coria his first title of the Year!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ex-king of Umag gives up his throne and "hands"Coria his first title of the Year!!

nermo
07-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Vamos Coria :bigclap: after a tough year , Coria won his first title after defeating Moya 6/2, 4/6 ,6/2...congratulations!! :)

Sorry Moya :sad: , but i guess Coria needed that ...

star
07-31-2005, 08:25 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

-wokkel-
07-31-2005, 08:25 PM
Vamos Guillermo!! Well done! :woohoo:

Papakori
07-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Nooooooo Carlos :sad:

willie
07-31-2005, 08:27 PM
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:
coria won it!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATS to clay king CORIA!!!!!:woohoo:
good match for moya:yeah:

fabolous
07-31-2005, 08:27 PM
finally a title for coria! :worship:

but moya showed again his class here in umag. congrats to both players!

oneandonlyhsn
07-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Guille its about fucking time for your first title

http://smileys.******************/cat/36/36_1_33.gifhttp://smileys.******************/cat/36/36_1_72.gif

Carlos better luck next time sweetie, you are still more beautiful anyway

Fee
07-31-2005, 08:29 PM
'and hands' not handles. :D

Anyway, congrats on your win at this European mickey mouse tournament. (or does that only apply to US tournaments, in typical MTF GM double standard fashion?)

You'll do better on the hardcourts Carlos (if you would ever get over here, that is...).

MariaV
07-31-2005, 08:33 PM
So sad for Carlos.... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sobbing: I hope he can do better on hard in the US.
Anyway congrats to Guille, he was the better player today.

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Now now Fee, you're the one who suggested a couple of months ago that the Top 50 is filled with claycourters when in fact there are no more than five or six players who have all their good results on clay, so you're hardly impartial yourself.

star
07-31-2005, 08:35 PM
You know, I think it's normal for Europeans to want to play in Europe just like I think it's normal for Americans to play in America in preference to Europe. Also, guys like to play on their favorite surface. I don't think it should be held against anyone where or when they play.

It's like that thread about Gaudio -- not my favorite player -- but at least he's winning somewhere and doing what he needs to do for himself and his career.

Neely
07-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Anyway, congrats on your win at this European mickey mouse tournament. (or does that only apply to US tournaments, in typical MTF GM double standard fashion?)
Although it is giving the same amount of ranking points like Houston, it is similarly as Bastad, Gstaad, St Pölten and Estoril of course not considered as a Mickey Mouse one because there are so many players with (ARG) and (ESP) behind their names and/or many current or former French Open champions play these events every year.

Houston is the only real Mickey Mouse, and all that even more if Andy is winning there a title on clay... how else could it be? you should know better ;) :p

Chloe le Bopper
07-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Those of you pretending to not see the difference between the field at Umag and the field at Houston or even Indy for that matter... like, you are pretending, right? Because holy shit, that one is beyond my needing to explain it.

Moving -

Coria $EVA :banana:

Chloe le Bopper
07-31-2005, 08:41 PM
You know, I think it's normal for Europeans to want to play in Europe just like I think it's normal for Americans to play in America in preference to Europe. Also, guys like to play on their favorite surface. I don't think it should be held against anyone where or when they play.

It's like that thread about Gaudio -- not my favorite player -- but at least he's winning somewhere and doing what he needs to do for himself and his career.
:yeah:

Fee
07-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Neely, thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

(Star and Sjengster kind of went off in a diff direction I think. I don't care who plays these tournaments or why, just wanted to know their status. And I want Carlos in the US out of personal preference, heh).

Chloe le Bopper
07-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Now now Fee, you're the one who suggested a couple of months ago that the Top 50 is filled with claycourters when in fact there are no more than five or six players who have all their good results on clay, so you're hardly impartial yourself.
As long as she recognizes that, it's okay - it's when people make it their goal in life to expose MTF double standards and fail to realize that they have their own that I go nutty ')

Fee
07-31-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm not impartial, I'm human and we all have our biases. But, I just read the other thread and Sjengster has declared the Gaudio is the king of MM tournaments so far this year, so I'm fine with that.

As for the number of clay-courters in the Top 50, I'm too lazy to check for myself, so I'm not going to argue about it. I just wish that guy at #2 would hurry up and do something on other surfaces because I fully believe he is capable of it despite the scheduling decisions he made for very legitimate reasons this season. I expect huge things from him in 2006 and maybe even later this year. We'll see. :D

star
07-31-2005, 08:52 PM
:confused: How did I go off in a different direction?

Was your comment only wanting to know what the points were for the different tournaments? You didn't really ask that question.

Clearly, I missed something.

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Neely, thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

(Star and Sjengster kind of went off in a diff direction I think. I don't care who plays these tournaments or why, just wanted to know their status. And I want Carlos in the US out of personal preference, heh).

I just had a bee in my bonnet about that comment of yours a couple of months back, that's all. ;) For the record, here are the players in the Top 50 who have earned just about every significant ranking point on clay: Gaudio, Puerta, Volandri, Acasuso and Andreev. 1/10's not a bad ratio, methinks.

Mickey Mouse has nothing to do with the points or the prize money and everything to do with the quality of the field. People go easy on European tournaments with players that have ARG and ESP next to their name not because they are from those countries, but because those nationalities are an indicator of real claycourt quality.

Black Adam
07-31-2005, 08:55 PM
WELL DONE Coria, it's prety hard to beat Carlos in Umag :)congrats on your1st title

Fee
07-31-2005, 08:56 PM
No I just wanted to know if this tournament was considered a mickey mouse tournament, as it seems most of the US tournaments are, especially if Andy wins it.

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm not impartial, I'm human and we all have our biases. But, I just read the other thread and Sjengster has declared the Gaudio is the king of MM tournaments so far this year, so I'm fine with that.

As for the number of clay-courters in the Top 50, I'm too lazy to check for myself, so I'm not going to argue about it. I just wish that guy at #2 would hurry up and do something on other surfaces because I fully believe he is capable of it despite the scheduling decisions he made for very legitimate reasons this season. I expect huge things from him in 2006 and maybe even later this year. We'll see. :D

No no, I said optional king, not MM king - the two are not always one and the same. ;) Gstaad and Kitzbuhel are fairly prestigious clay optionals, the latter is one of the three big 60-point events along with Dubai and Barcelona (which Gaudio has also won in the past). I give Gaudio credit for managing to beat Nadal to win one of those titles, even if it was at home in Buenos Aires and Nadal was rubbish in the last two sets, blah blah blah.

I don't understand these complaints about Nadal not doing enough on other surfaces. Two more points in the Miami final and we would be talking about how he's ready to take over the no. 1 ranking from Federer.

MariaV
07-31-2005, 08:59 PM
I just wish that guy at #2 would hurry up and do something on other surfaces because I fully believe he is capable of it despite the scheduling decisions he made for very legitimate reasons this season. I expect huge things from him in 2006 and maybe even later this year. We'll see. :D
I'm sure he will do just that, Fee. :D I'm sure he will, and I cannot wait to see him on harcourts either. :D

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 09:01 PM
No I just wanted to know if this tournament was considered a mickey mouse tournament, as it seems most of the US tournaments are, especially if Andy wins it.

For the record, I don't regard San Jose as a MM event considering it's had Agassi in the field the last couple of years that Roddick has won it, though the two have obviously avoided playing each other. Houston is an entirely different kettle of fish, just because the pedigree claycourt players are largely elsewhere.

Fee
07-31-2005, 09:06 PM
....Everyone is playing catch-up to those two, Gaudio just happens to lead the rest of the field in winning Mickey Mouse tournaments. At least he's won a major title of some kind in the last two years, something that Hewitt for instance has not.

There's your post from the other thread that I was referring to. Anyway, none of my posts in this thread are important enough to warrant this much discussion. I was just curious about the Mickey Mouse tournament issue and whether or not there was a double standard there. Some people say no, and I'm fine with that.

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 09:15 PM
You're too modest, there is much of interest to discuss here. Gaudio was being criticised in that thread for not performing well in the big events - I classify big events as being the 13 required ones, but not all optionals are MM tournaments. I shouldn't have generalised by saying that Gaudio was the leader in MM victories, but it probably satisfied a couple of people in there who don't think he deserved to win RG in the first place (like Carito, for instance). It's worth noting that not only have Federer and Nadal split most of the required events between them, they've also split two of the 60-point optional events: Dubai and Barcelona respectively. Gaudio just won the third today, so kudos to him for that. And those three tournaments do have the high-class fields to warrant their increased points tally.

Julio1974
07-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Well Done Guille !!! I'm soo happy for him!!! Now back to the top 10, where he deserves to be.

vincayou
07-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Well done guillermo. :yeah:

nermo
07-31-2005, 10:07 PM
No I just wanted to know if this tournament was considered a mickey mouse tournament, as it seems most of the US tournaments are, especially if Andy wins it.posted by Fee

First, thanks for the generous correction.."Hands him the first title of the year."

second, i don't think there's a general bias against US tournaments , or even about Andy's winning them, it's exactly what Star referred to in the post, where almost every player has a plan when and where to play to get points and for getting better practice ( especially with big guys ) that's all..so don't get it personally ..cuz finally whether ppl. like a certain player or not ,won't be changed..but how this player performs through the whole season contributes to the final judgement in a bigger way..(even if this includes mickey mouse tourneys ;) ) this applies for Coria , Andy , Federer ,or even an allien .. !! :)

It's like that thread about Gaudio -- not my favorite player -- but at least he's winning somewhere and doing what he needs to do for himself and his career.posted by star
:hug: nice point, imagine if he lost that one ,"Coria failed in winning even a mickey mouse tourney"

jazz_girl
07-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Well done Guillermo! It was a very good match to watch, congratulations to both players :yeah:

Dirk
08-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Those of you pretending to not see the difference between the field at Umag and the field at Houston or even Indy for that matter... like, you are pretending, right? Because holy shit, that one is beyond my needing to explain it.

Moving -

Umag had a great field this year so it's not mickey mouse. Coria gets major respect and Houston could only hope to have that kind of field. RCA used to be very strong and may again in the future but Houston will always have mickey mouse ears on it's head. Good win for Coria and thanks for the Vcash mate. ;)

MissMoJo
08-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Yay Guille! :banana:

mitalidas
08-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Didn't know Carla was Croatian (or of Croatian origin)!
Coria mentioned it in his speech

"My wife is Croatian and from this region, so I felt like (I was) home," the second-seeded Coria said.

lucashg
08-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Gstaad and Kitzbuhel are fairly prestigious clay optionals, the latter is one of the three big 60-point events along with Dubai and Barcelona (which Gaudio has also won in the past).

I thought all International Series Gold tournaments were worth 60 points for the champion?

How many points do the winners of Memphis, Rotterdam, Acapulco, Stuttgart, Tokyo and Vienna get, then?

LaTenista
08-01-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm beginning to really hate this Mickey Mouse label people are trying to slap on tournaments. Mickey Mouse is a loveable cartoon character created by Walt Disney. I can't remember any MM cartoons that even came anywhere close to relating to tennis. The US Claycourt Championships moved from Orlando to Houston like 5 years ago so there is no excuse there either. :p

True all the ATP tournaments are not created equal in either prize money nor quality of players. If you think the draw is weak or the tournament small, what is the problem with just saying that? :shrug:

Coria won all his matches and deserved the title. I'm not a really a fan of his but I'm not going to imply he only won it because it was a smaller tournament with a weaker field. For all I know he could have won the title at Kitzbuel if he'd played there instead this week. ;)

BTW Trivia tidbit: Roddick won St Polten in 2003 on clay.

lucashg
08-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Oh, and congratulations to Coria. He wasn't playing his best this week, but was still good enough to win a very deserved title for all of his clay season. I truly hope he has some success on hardcourts. :D

Moya, nice finals appearence. Get your act together even more and get some results! ;)

sigmagirl91
08-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Didn't know Carla was Croatian (or of Croatian origin)!
Coria mentioned it in his speech

"My wife is Croatian and from this region, so I felt like (I was) home," the second-seeded Coria said.

I didn't know that either. Interesting....

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 02:47 AM
There's your post from the other thread that I was referring to. Anyway, none of my posts in this thread are important enough to warrant this much discussion. I was just curious about the Mickey Mouse tournament issue and whether or not there was a double standard there. Some people say no, and I'm fine with that.

I'm sure that some people will call all the US optionals mickey mouse tournaments, but I believe that most of us only call those with Andy and nobody else in the top 20 MM ;)

The post Wimbledon clay events have been fairly strong, hence nobody calling them MM. Aside from that one the other week that Gonzo won ;)

I♥PsY@Mus!c
08-01-2005, 03:37 AM
Congrats Guillermo! :aparty:

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Congrats to Coria for getting back into the winners circle it has been some time for him and there was no way that Umag was a Mickey Mouse event this year and he has to win a few more of these to have the title of Mr Umag.

Neely
08-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Aside from that one the other week that Gonzo won ;)
Come on, it's not Mickey Mouse. It's a European clay event and a big, respectable claycourter and French Open finalist, Puerta, participated in it. Also the third and fourth best seeds were Massu and Rochus, respectively. :p

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 06:36 AM

Moving -

Stop trying to use sensible arguments.

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Stop trying to use sensible arguments.
Clearly you are talking about the CORIA $EVA part of the quoted post!

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Clearly you are talking about the CORIA $EVA part of the quoted post!

Yes, of course I was.

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Come on, it's not Mickey Mouse. It's a European clay event and a big, respectable claycourter and French Open finalist, Puerta, participated in it. Also the third and fourth best seeds were Massu and Rochus, respectively. :p
It was almost as awesome as St. Poelten.

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 06:52 AM
It was almost as awesome as St. Poelten.

Or Casachallenger that reeks of awesomeness, it's almost time to play mythbuster, but not yet.

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 06:54 AM
It's almost time for me to go to bed. No more days off until I go to Montreal, and I just double shifted all weekend long :p

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 06:56 AM
It's almost time for me to go to bed. No more days off until I go to Montreal, and I just double shifted all weekend long :p

Cool, I am expecting quality reports. They should change Montreal to clay.

Devotee
08-01-2005, 06:57 AM

George, is your avatar the girl from Cirque du Soleil?

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Agreed, but I will settle for the hardcourt for now.

I will do my best with the reports, but you must recall that I have a hard time staying put for an entire match... or even an entire set :tape:

I like to move around and see as much as possible :)

I hopefully will get good photos with my new camera, but we'll see. Even if I do that just means you're going ot have to suffer through all of my hilarious crushes! Sadly, they aren't all going to make the trip.

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 07:12 AM
I hopefully will get good photos with my new camera, but we'll see. Even if I do that just means you're going ot have to suffer through all of my hilarious crushes! Sadly, they aren't all going to make the trip.

You'll be fine and what and are you saying that I don't watch many matches. :p

As for Coria I think he really wants to be Mr Umag.

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Coria will be the next Mr Umag as long as Rafa and Roger stay away! There is a good chance Roger will ;)

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Coria will be the next Mr Umag as long as Rafa and Roger stay away! There is a good chance Roger will ;)

To be Mr Umag, there needs a RG crown there. I mean the first Mr Umag was Muster, now it's Carlos, but Rafa and Coria gunning for this title is a big issue, it might even have to go to a poll it's that worthy.

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 07:33 AM
I was not aware that Roland Garros was a requirement. Well, in that case he still needs to avoid Rafa and Roger. Well, certainly Roger. I think he has a shot at Rafa.

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 07:35 AM
I was not aware that Roland Garros was a requirement. Well, in that case he still needs to avoid Rafa and Roger. Well, certainly Roger. I think he has a shot at Rafa.

It's only used in a tiebreaker, but I think it'll be out of Rafa and Coria for Mr Umag.

Also they need to win at least 3 titles there to be considered for this presitigous title and Rafa will keep returning there.

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 07:36 AM
It will probably be Rafa, but I will hold out hope for Coria until the bitter end! 15 clay titles next season Coria, vamos!

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 07:38 AM
It will probably be Rafa, but I will hold out hope for Coria until the bitter end! 15 clay titles next season Coria, vamos!

The weasel is up to #9 by the way and next season should be fun, then again there are only 3 weeks left in the season for my tennis viewing.

Chloe le Bopper
08-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Bed time!

Deea
08-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Good job Guille! I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nermo
08-01-2005, 09:50 AM
To be Mr Umag, there needs a RG crown there. I mean the first Mr Umag was Muster, now it's Carlos, but Rafa and Coria gunning for this title is a big issue, it might even have to go to a poll it's that worthy. posted by GWH

yes sure, both 'll be gunning for Umag's title, though i feel Coria wants it more than Nadal who by now i guess can be interested in bigger clay tourneys but for comparing their chances there , If Nadal gets there the coming years, reserving the same quality -on clay -performance,and looking for their head to head records, Nadal 's side of balance is the winner , but it'll add more fun ,taking into consideration, that Coria (when in mood) gives hard times to the kid too and may be he could figure out his way some day ...

Truc
08-01-2005, 10:25 AM
I understand your point, Umag is a strange event with many good claycourters, but no depth in the field, and as a Coria fan I'm absolutely aware of this.
Anyway, it can't be held against Coria that he played and won a "mickey mouse-tournament": no title since April 2004, he was #15 in the entry ranking, he needed the points and said it very clearly. It's slightly different from Roddick's situation, unfortunately. ;)
Obviously he made the right decision by playing there and it is a nice win for him.

star
08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
I didn't know that either. Interesting....

In the quote I read, Guille said his wife had Croatian roots, not that she was Croatian.

RogiFan88
08-01-2005, 03:20 PM
You're too modest, there is much of interest to discuss here. Gaudio was being criticised in that thread for not performing well in the big events - I classify big events as being the 13 required ones, but not all optionals are MM tournaments. I shouldn't have generalised by saying that Gaudio was the leader in MM victories, but it probably satisfied a couple of people in there who don't think he deserved to win RG in the first place (like Carito, for instance). It's worth noting that not only have Federer and Nadal split most of the required events between them, they've also split two of the 60-point optional events: Dubai and Barcelona respectively. Gaudio just won the third today, so kudos to him for that. And those three tournaments do have the high-class fields to warrant their increased points tally.

love those 60-pointers: Dubai, BCN and Kitz -- and all won by players I like! an added bonus! ;)

now if only Rogi could play and win BCN or Kitz next year! :angel: