How much does it cost to buy a wildcard into a Challenger? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How much does it cost to buy a wildcard into a Challenger?

vogus
07-31-2005, 03:28 PM
some posters in the thread about Josh Olivas mentioned a practice of buying wildcards to the main draws of Challenger tournaments in order to get an ATP ranking point...??? Is this a known practice and if so, how much do one of these WCs cost? Because, once you have one ATP point, you are eligible to play qualies in ATP events all over the world - even if you're terrible. It seems like there are sometimes really bad guys in the ATP qualies and i always wondered how they got there.

jole
07-31-2005, 03:42 PM
It certainly is not a standardized practice, except for rare occasions like that time the doubles wild card (originally with Franco Squillari) at the European challenger was auctioned off on Ebay. Basically, you have to have connections in some manner or another, and the ones granting the wild cards are not always going to go out of their way to disclose reasoning behind the choices.

And yes, the wild world that is known as the ATP and ITF tours contain a massive variety of players. I mean it is quite common to see people traveling the world constantly playing quallies and often never winning. It is often an adventurous, sometimes fun, and sometimes shitty life. Some money and a little talent, a lot of money and a tiny bit of talent, a lot of talent and money from sponsors/federations, and tons of other variations. I even see some people I have beaten before trying to get futures left and right. Hats off to them, I wish them luck, but it is not easy. I personally took up the game too late in life to truly get where I would have liked. Some will say it is never too late, and sure that is true, but everyone's situation is different and sometimes just have to just be brutally honest with yourself.

vogus
07-31-2005, 03:46 PM
so it's not as simple as just calling up a tournament director and saying "I'd like to buy a wildcard to your tournie, how much does it cost"?

jole
07-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Can happen if the tournament director is desperate and/or stupid enough. Generally though, things would obviously be much more discreet and the director is going to know the person before a random phone call.

Obviously, wild cards are usually awarded to local talent, marketable names, or people who win wild card tournaments. A director will usually have a genuine interest in helping local players, or at least they will feel the pressure of the county's tennis federation to award them this way.

Space Cowgirl
07-31-2005, 06:16 PM
I read an article somewhere a while ago about some hopeless British players who consistently get WCs for obscure tournaments, despite showing nearly zero talent. Seems their parents are on friendly terms with some of the sponsors/organisers and they get the WCs that way :rolleyes:

CooCooCachoo
07-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Well, Edwin Kerkhoven, a Dutch player I had never ever heard of, got a WC into one or more South American Challengers. I am sure he bought it ;)

alfonsojose
07-31-2005, 11:48 PM
How do you pay it? cash only. Can i offer something else :devil: ?

Nikki♥
08-01-2005, 10:37 AM

Are you interested in a wild card? :p

Nikki♥
08-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Has there ever been a player who slept his way up into the main draw of a challenger tournament? :shrug: Info please!

Nimrodg
08-01-2005, 11:10 AM

Oh, something else for WILD card? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Experimentee
08-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Apparently in Poland there is a girl who is a crappy player but gets challenger WCs all the time there because her rich father pays for them. I suppose its not uncommon.

alfonsojose
08-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Has there ever been a player who slept his way up into the main draw of a challenger tournament? :shrug: Info please!
Adam Chadaj :p

Neely
08-01-2005, 05:42 PM
LOL! I think that could be more common with the WTA because I guess most tournament directors that decide about the distribution of WCs are straight men and they are more likely to accept any payments in kind from female players :) :p

alfonsojose
08-01-2005, 05:45 PM
LOL! I think that could be more common with the WTA because I guess most tournament directors that decide about the distribution of WCs are straight men and they are more likely to accept any payments in kind from female players :) :p
Who knows? Some wives would do anything for her husband's profits :devil:

revolution
08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't know what it is with Challenger WC's.. some British unknown ranked in the 1000s called Paul Brighten, and compatriot Adam Lownsbrough got WC's, Brighten into a clay challenger in Ostrava, Lownsbrough into San Remo.

Brighten got whacked 6-0 6-0 by Jan Vacek, and Lownsbrough also suffered the same fate against Olivier Patience!

Brighten then stayed behind to play in the doubles and managed to do better there, losing 6-1 6-0 with Matthew Allen, against Levinsky/Tabara.

The challenger circuit is quite strange, at the Malaga challenger there weren't enough entries so I could have just turned up and played, LOL, and got some ranking points of my own, and an ATP entry ranking without doing anything special!

Neely
08-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Who knows? Some wives would do anything for her husband's profits :devil:
haha... yes, Alfonso.... you are right ;) but they wouldn't do it only for her husband's profits, the main reason would be their OWN ONE because they could profit from a rich boyfriend/husband if they don't have enough money themselves and need a man to pay for them :lol: