Ted Schroeder knocks mens tennis: "men dress like bums, act like bums and are bums" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ted Schroeder knocks mens tennis: "men dress like bums, act like bums and are bums"

nobama
07-31-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20050731-9999-1s31acura.html
In the San Diego area, there is no more acerbic observer of matters pertaining to tennis than onetime U.S. Davis Cup stalwart Ted Schroeder. He said he admires how the women in the game present themselves.

"The women dress, look and act like ladies," Schroeder said. "The men dress like bums, act like bums and are bums, with rare exceptions. Federer is one of them."
I can't agree with this. Serena Williams certainly doesn't act like a lady. And you can't say all the guys on the ATP tour are bums with the exception of Roger. Sure I like the way he handles himself on/off court. But a lot of guys are good guys, handle themselves well, not just Roger.

Maratfan
07-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Who is Ted Schroeder? I think a real fool :mad: Federer dressed well :confused: ? I always hated his dresses especially on the court. His headband (hope it´s the right word) is awful. Only since he has cut his hair, it´s a bit better.
But what I think is, that Marat should get a haircut, soon :silly: ;)

disturb3d
07-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Andre, Juan-Carlos, Roger. All class-acts.
This guy is digging too deep to make his point.

sigmagirl91
07-31-2005, 02:53 PM
What cave has HE been living in?

mitalidas
07-31-2005, 02:54 PM
I can't agree with this. Serena Williams certainly doesn't act like a lady.

what has serena williams done that does not merit acting like a lady?

alfonsojose
07-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Hrbaty :tape: ;)

disturb3d
07-31-2005, 02:59 PM
"Schroeder places Agassi above Sampras because of Sampras' failure to establish himself on clay courts."

I love this guy. Finally someone puts Agassi in his rightful place ahead of Sampras.

Castafiore
07-31-2005, 03:02 PM
:bs:
Who is Ted Schroeder?

Maybe it says more about me than anything else :bolt: but I don't expect women or men to act like perfect ladies/gentlemen. That's a boring and old-fashioned idea of the sport IMHO. I'd like them to play exciting tennis and I can live with the fact that this not necessarily combine well with the right outfit and perfect manners. :rolleyes:

star
07-31-2005, 03:02 PM
I agree the men don't present themselves well on the court. The girls dress up and try to look nice. Sometimes the men seem to be competing to see who can look the scruffiest and most disheveled. There are exceptions of course. Jonas Bjorkman comes to mind.

sigmagirl91
07-31-2005, 03:07 PM
I agree the men don't present themselves well on the court. The girls dress up and try to look nice. Sometimes the men seem to be competing to see who can look the scruffiest and most disheveled. There are exceptions of course. Jonas Bjorkman comes to mind.

You have a point, but men overall aren't too overly concerned with appearance. I don't know why, but I guess that's the way it is.

1sun
07-31-2005, 03:10 PM
well there not putting fedman down, there praising him, so i dont really care wotelse they say. good job guys ;)

1sun
07-31-2005, 03:12 PM
You have a point, but men overall aren't too overly concerned with appearance. I don't know why, but I guess that's the way it is.
yeah definately. tennis is about winning matchs, tournaments and grand slams, not about how you look. if they wanted a proffesion where appearence is the no1 priority then they would go into modeling.

jole
07-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Hrbaty :tape: ;)

Shut up, he was being experimental :p

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 03:16 PM
No big deal, Schroeder is an old-fashioned guy with old-fashioned attitudes. It's only natural that he should deplore the occasionally outlandish fashions of the present day and the appearance of certain players, although he seems to have attended a few too many Koubek matches and taken his grooming to be the norm on tour.

nobama
07-31-2005, 03:18 PM
what has serena williams done that does not merit acting like a lady?
Well the way she dresses for one thing (IMO).

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Stripper! Stripper!

madmanfool
07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
never heard about this schroeder guy before???
wtf is he?

Socket
07-31-2005, 03:53 PM
The press periodically trots out some crotchety old guy with a tenuous connection to a particular sport -- and a nostalgic remembrance of the "good old days" -- and, by flattering him (and buying a nice lunch at an expense-account restaurant), con him into making a fool of himself by dumping on the current players. Guess it's a filler for the slow news days. Ignore it.

star
07-31-2005, 03:55 PM
No big deal, Schroeder is an old-fashioned guy with old-fashioned attitudes. It's only natural that he should deplore the occasionally outlandish fashions of the present day and the appearance of certain players, although he seems to have attended a few too many Koubek matches and taken his grooming to be the norm on tour.

Or perhaps he took in a Labadze match or two. :)

Space Cowgirl
07-31-2005, 07:29 PM
does this guy work for Vogue or something? Are today's players not fashionable enough for him?

Nimomunz
07-31-2005, 08:03 PM
The press periodically trots out some crotchety old guy with a tenuous connection to a particular sport -- and a nostalgic remembrance of the "good old days" -- and, by flattering him (and buying a nice lunch at an expense-account restaurant), con him into making a fool of himself by dumping on the current players. Guess it's a filler for the slow news days. Ignore it.
very cynical very true!!

jbone_14
07-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Well the way she dresses for one thing (IMO).

And a woman cant show off her figure. She doesn't wear her clothing too small and she doesn't expose too much. You should include Tatiana Golovin with her shorts showing her crack and lack of ass.

vogus
07-31-2005, 10:56 PM
"Schroeder places Agassi above Sampras because of Sampras' failure to establish himself on clay courts."

I love this guy. Finally someone puts Agassi in his rightful place ahead of Sampras.

agreed.

Did he mean that Federer is one of the bums, or one of the exceptions? :confused:

1sun
07-31-2005, 11:07 PM
agreed.

Did he mean that Federer is one of the bums, or one of the exceptions? :confused:
exceptions

buddyholly
08-01-2005, 12:00 AM

Yeah, in a chemistry lab, and spilled acid on his shirt.

Santorofan
08-01-2005, 12:20 AM
never heard about this schroeder guy before???
wtf is he?

No one significant. He only won Wimbledon, U.S. Open (then called U.S. Nationals), was a Davis Cup hero, won multiple GS doubles titles with the legendary Jack Kramer and is an International Hall of Famer to boot. Old timer or not, I think he's entitled to an opinion people, esp when the press asks him for one :-)

alfonsojose
08-01-2005, 12:36 AM
hrbatyfan :inlove: after looking at your pic in non-tennis, you can spank me if u want to, :drool: ;)

jole
08-01-2005, 01:59 AM
hrbatyfan :inlove: after looking at your pic in non-tennis, you can spank me if u want to, :drool: ;)
You really are quite the feisty one mi muchacho Colombiano?! Oh wait, I've known this for like a year and a half. :)

jole
08-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Yeah, in a chemistry lab, and spilled acid on his shirt.

Lotto isn't the most popular brand (uhhh yea...) on the tour for no reason!

FaceyFacem
08-01-2005, 04:19 AM
Yeah, Ted is a wimbledon champ of long ago, i met him when i went to wimbledon in 2002, and he was extremely friendly, i'm shocked to hear that he would say this....but, to each his own