Can anyone stop an Agassi v Roddick final in Washington? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can anyone stop an Agassi v Roddick final in Washington?

coler85
07-31-2005, 09:02 AM
Looking at the draw, not many players stand in Andy and Andre's path to the semifinals.....Maybe Henman can give Roddick trouble if he's on his game, and if Kiefer comes around, he can trouble Agassi.

But if both Andy and Andre play with the form they always show in the American Hardcourt Season, they have a fairly clear path to the finals in DC, and it should be a great match!

What does everyone think? I'd love to see a rematch of their showdown in Cincy last year....

Black Adam
07-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Their matches are always great, looking forward to see it:)
But there is Max Mrynyi in Andy's draw so that can turn out to be tough.

suus21
07-31-2005, 12:13 PM
i guess you are right

mitalidas
07-31-2005, 12:22 PM
is ginepri playing? he could stop it :devil:

liptea
07-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Andy's brain might stop it.

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 02:52 PM
If Henman could magically rediscover the form of two years ago he'd have a decent shot here. I'd love to see TF being forced to endure (his words) another Henman-Gonzalez final, but Fena isn't here this time.

silverwhite
07-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Robby Ginepri will hunt the duck in straight sets. :worship:

Papakori
07-31-2005, 03:25 PM
Grosjean could possibly challenge Agassi 3-4 in head to heads and won last meeting (Although that was on Clay). Apart from Grosjean, Agassi has a pretty good draw.

Regarding Roddick, I think that Chela could test him he has won against Roddick on hard courts a few years ago. Henman, if fit and playing well could give Roddick a battle also. Ginepri and Mirnyi also could be hard for Roddick is playing any of them.

lucashg
07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Mello. :tape:

Seriously - Henman, Grosjean, Myrni and Hrbaty seem the possible candidates to upset this possible match-up.

Deboogle!.
07-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Considering Andy's form as of late and that he lost to someone after having 3 MPs that he had never ever lost to before, I'd say anyone in the top half of the draw can stop an Agassi-Roddick final :p

RodLo
07-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Andy's brain might stop it.

Unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Will be keeping my fingers crossed, though. It's always fun to watch a Roddick-Agassi match. :)

BAMJ6
07-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Noone will stop an Andre-Roddick final here.

OT - So does this mean he's not playing in the Canada Masters?

revolution
07-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Henman, if he can find some form, can beat Roddick for sure. The way the Duck performed in Indy also suggests he won't make the final here. Even an in-form Rusedski could test him.

joycomesmorning
07-31-2005, 07:32 PM
If Andre were 25 and not 35, I would agree...but I think that it's optimistic to believe that AA will play back to back days (Thursday -Sunday) in LA...travel cross country and with a couple of days rest (probably won't play again until Wednesday) play another long set of matches back to back to back to back...

If SFX, AA's management company, didn't own the tournament, I think that AA might not even go to Washington...

It could happen that AA will make another final in DC...Andre has made a habit of surprising us all at various times in the last 19 seasons...but, IMO, worry if you have tickets for the final weekend in Washington and you plan to see AA.

jcm

bavaria100
07-31-2005, 07:44 PM
I am not so sure about Roddick. A player like Mirnyi or Henman could beat him, especially if he plays as bad as in Indy. With Andre, it depends on how he feels after 5 matches in LA. If he´s tired, I wouldn´t count on it that he will reach the final.

Fee
07-31-2005, 08:35 PM
Andre is going to stop this potential final, at about 6 pm California time when he picks up the phone to pull out of the tournament. I really don't think he's going to go, even though his agent owns the event (I would love to be wrong). I think he would prefer a week off to increase his chances of playing both Masters events, then taking a week off to prepare for the USO.

LaTenista
07-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Perhaps Gasquet? I can't say I've seen him play on outdoor hard before, but given his season so far I think he's got the potential to be a threat just about anywhere.

David Kenzie
07-31-2005, 09:52 PM
Sadly Gasquet is not playing in Washington.

Black Adam
07-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Depends which Andy shows up.
The Andy OAF with mental problems or the Andy playing the A game and mentally present :p

NYCtennisfan
07-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Mirnyi might pose a threat but other than that, it should be an Agassi-Roddick final. I hope so at least and the tournament oganizers sure as hell hope it turns out that way.

Deboogle!.
08-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Andre is going to stop this potential final, at about 6 pm California time when he picks up the phone to pull out of the tournament. I really don't think he's going to go, even though his agent owns the event (I would love to be wrong). I think he would prefer a week off to increase his chances of playing both Masters events, then taking a week off to prepare for the USO.Indeed you are correct:)

http://www.leggmasontennisclassic.com/news.aspx?id=52

DanEd
08-01-2005, 03:39 PM
then this thread is useless :smash:

dylan24
08-01-2005, 04:02 PM
smart move agassi
just be healthy for the us open
+4550
not bad

1sun
08-01-2005, 04:36 PM
if andy doesnt win this tourny, then god help him

stuey87
08-01-2005, 04:48 PM
if andy doesnt win this tourny, then god help him

What are you talking about?! Jamie Delgado's clearly going to romp to the title without dropping a set. :tape:

max122
08-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Andre is goin to play this tourney and win it ..

Pea
08-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Oh there's no more hope in BRAVE TIM?!?!?!!!!:sad:

Deboogle!.
08-01-2005, 04:55 PM
if andy doesnt win this tourny, then god help himmany of us told him to retire if he didn't win Indianapolis. This draw is a bit deeper than that. He needs god's help for more than just this tourney if he can't put away people he had flatout owned since juniors and had a set and match points on. :pAndre is goin to play this tourney and win it ..Well, no he's not. He's out of the draw, replaced by De Chaunac. Lucky break for him.
----------------------
Agassi Pulls Out of Legg Mason

By Liz Clarke
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 1, 2005; 11:33 AM

Andre Agassi has withdrawn from the Legg Mason Tennis Classic, breaking a 16-year streak of consecutive appearances in the hard-court tournament.

Agassi informed tournament officials by fax Sunday night, shortly after defeating Gilles Muller to win his first tournament of the year, the Mercedes-Benz Cup in Los Angeles.

"Over the years I have been privileged to be a part of the Legg Mason," Agassi's letter read. "However, at this point in my career, I have to be extremely selective about the amount of matches that I play in preparation of the U.S. Open. I am sorry that I will not be there this year, but hope to return in 2006."

Agassi, 35, has been struggling with debilitating pain from periodic flare-ups of a sciatic nerve in his lower back. The nagging injury led to his first-round defeat in the French Open in May. After taking two months to recuperate, he returned to competition last week in Los Angeles and looked in dazzling form in Sunday's final, defeating Muller, 6-4, 7-5 for his 60th career title.

With eight Grand Slam titles on his resume, Agassi has his sights set on peaking for this year's U.S. Open. His withdrawal from the Legg Mason leaves top-seeded Andy Roddick as the tournament's main attraction. It also opens up the other half of the draw, where Czechoslavkia's Radek Stepanek is the highest seed remaining (fourth).

Tournament chairman Donald Dell called Agassi's withdrawal unfortunate but understandable. "We are very appreciative of his participation and loyalty to the event every year since 1990," Dell said in a statement. "After winning the Mercedes-Benz tournament in Los Angeles this weekend, Andre feels he needs to rest, and we certainly understand that his health has to be his first priority."

Nimomunz
08-01-2005, 05:13 PM
well then i guess it will be andre who will stop a roddick-agassi final in legg mason!!

BAMJ6
08-01-2005, 05:15 PM
well then i guess it will be andre who will stop a roddick-agassi final in legg mason!!

I thought as much after he won yesterday. He wants to be fresh for Canada and Cincy.

Fee
08-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Told you so!

Damn... but it will make Montreal and Cincy more interesting.

alfonsojose
08-01-2005, 05:49 PM
I guess he'll be fined, so :wavey: to L.A. prize money. Of course, money isn0t that big issue for him

NYCtennisfan
08-01-2005, 07:27 PM
I guess Andre can.

NYCtennisfan
08-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Nice call and props to Fee. :worship: :worship: :worship:

tennischick
08-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Andre is going to stop this potential final, at about 6 pm California time when he picks up the phone to pull out of the tournament. I really don't think he's going to go, even though his agent owns the event (I would love to be wrong). I think he would prefer a week off to increase his chances of playing both Masters events, then taking a week off to prepare for the USO.
nice call :worship: i need to learn to predict like this! ;)

Fee
08-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Thank you both. That's it for me for the rest of the year.

:wavey:

(predicting things I mean. don't get your hopes up, I'm not going anywhere...)

Seleshfan
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
All Hail Feestradamus!

NATAS81
08-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Karlovic/Mirnyi/Srichaphan

Deboogle!.
08-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Karlovic/Mirnyiyes, perhaps.Srichaphanummmmmm, unlikely.

Iheartandy&roger
08-02-2005, 02:35 AM
Well the only one who could stop this final was agassi or roddick and agassi did.