Soderking Chat Thread vol.1 [Archive] - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

Soderking Chat Thread vol.1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

Kristen
08-03-2009, 10:13 AM
...and kendrick is kendrick...:lol: that's what I thought before the Aus Open first round vs Kendrick this year...but then the match started, and Kendrick wasn't quite as crappy as I thought he would be. lol, I like to think [if he wins] things will be different this time. :yeah:

Kristen
08-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I will give 1.5 k v-cash for post #1000. :D
haha looking for an old post, I noticed this.

:aplot::aplot:
j/k. I don't even know what to do with v-cash. I only have a decent amount because I post all my tennis photos here :lol:

swedes_rule
08-03-2009, 10:44 AM
:lol: signature probation. you're a funny one kristen. hehe

and ditto with the kendrick comments - thats why im concerned. i keep hearing that awful american accent of "GO KENDO" in my head. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Ilovetheblues_86
08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
You won kristen. ::clap2:
Next is 3k or all my v-cash (if I don´t have this amount) for post 1250.

swedes_rule
08-04-2009, 12:55 AM
M Youzhny (RUS) d R Kendrick (USA) 75 36 61

I guess Youzhny is playing better than we thought?

Ilovetheblues_86
08-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Youzhnyu will be really tough he will try to make his comeback at hard court swing which suits him well.
Gonna be very hard to Söderling, even more now that Youz leads H-H 1-0.
But since Soda is confident and he probably will enjoy a chalenge match, I predict 66% chances of winning.

Kristen
08-05-2009, 05:31 AM
ewwww Lets GO KenDO. I can hear it as clear as that day :haha:

swedes_rule
08-06-2009, 09:44 AM
[5] R Soderling (SWE) d M Youzhny (RUS) 63 61. Next up Gicquel.

:worship: :D

Ilovetheblues_86
08-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Hope talent goes over ball bashing tomorrow. :yeah:

KingSodaPop
08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
It is amazing Robin doesn't have his own Forum yet with the 20-4 run since Madrid (3 losses to Fed). :rolleyes: I see an old poll on this forum that voted in favor of him getting his own Forum quite awhile ago. When will this amazing talent and personality get some respect from the fans and this board? He is the #12 player in the world and rising rapidly! It is time for a new poll to the administrators to create a Robin Soderling Forum. This seems like common sense at the moment.

I don't think Del Potro knows what he is in for tomorrow. King Sod has been playing his best matches against top players not named "Federer" for the past 4 months and has been steam rolling quite a few (Youzny latest victim who had a career H2H advantage entering match; I'll never forget how he steamrolled Davydenko in the FO (6-1, 6-3, 6-1). Play with conviction tomorrow, Robin! This is the kind of match you've been thriving in lately! :cool:

Kristen
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
:lol: Preaching to the converted :)
I think many people are still stuck in the past, you know, when Robin was new on tour and came across as an ignorant jerk =). At least there's a good portion of us now, who can see the good in him, not to mention his talent.

Welcome to MTF :wavey:

KingSodaPop
08-07-2009, 02:26 PM
:lol: Preaching to the converted :)
I think many people are still stuck in the past, you know, when Robin was new on tour and came across as an ignorant jerk =). At least there's a good portion of us now, who can see the good in him, not to mention his talent.

Welcome to MTF :wavey:

Thank you!! :wavey:

He has always been a player I've watched, but he has become my favorite player to watch since I watched, downloaded and rewatched the match versus Nadal in this year's French Open. Then I did research and found he had been decisively beating people (other than Fed) for months including Simon, Andreev, Ferrer, Rainer Schüttler(6-0, 6-0), Sam Querrey (6-2, 6-2), etc. I made certain I watched his next match against Davydenko and that had to be the most startling performance for a player against another "hot" player I've witnessed in some time. Davydenko had just dispatched Fernando Verdasco in straight sets in the previous round, making the result all the more amazing. Then I read about the fact he has been injured so often when he was doing well, and how fitness and meditation to work on his mental game with Magnus Norman was transforming him into this "revelevatory" player at 24.

But it was watching those matches, and his next great match against Fernando Gonzalez, who had only lost 1 set to Andy Murray coming into the Semi-Finals that convinced me this guy had amazing talent, and his game is so fun to watch when he is on. I love the way he takes control of points, and paints the lines and the corners. He would almost remind me of Sampras if he played a Serve and Volley type game; but his way of gradually coming into the net as he dictates play, the cat and mouse chess tactics he uses, makes him unique in my opinion and extremely fun to watch (kind of like an in-form Nalbandian is fun to watch).

All the ignorant critics and the doubters think he is only rising because of his one match against Nadal, and say he is just a player that pummels the ball. They obviously are not watching, don't want to watch, or made up their minds years ago. I think he is a very mental and thoughtful player, and gets a bad rap for being an introvert. I think it is cool that he puts his towel over his head so he can block out distractions and focus, that he is his own person and doesn't just act phoney for the press. I think it is great that an introvert like Robin is finally finding himself and the results of this transformation are great for fans of tennis who like watching intriguing players with their own style. If he beats Del Potro today (and that is a BIG "if" since Del Potro also is becoming a great player), I think maybe that could be a turning point in the "one match/GS wonder" theorists. I am really hoping for a win today, not because I don't like Del Potro, who I like fine, but because I want to see Robin continue to grow his confidence so the fantastic game he brings to the court can continue to mature. :D

Ilovetheblues_86
08-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Carlita (the moderator) said they didn´t took any decision yet about the forum . Actually if something is blocking the forum is because Söderling didn´t have many regular posters and the thread still doesn´t have many posts (but since F0 it has increases considerably- to reach 2000 until the end of the year would cenrtainly help).
Popularity isn´t exaclty what Soda needs, but good fans who can cheer for him because of his tennis and his personality and that aren´t so limited in intelligence to believe in the first emotions they have about someone.

Getta
08-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Popularity isn´t exaclty what Soda needs, but good fans who can cheer for him because of his tennis and his personality and that aren´t so limited in intelligence to believe in the first emotions they have about someone.

I believe I'm able to meet all these minimum requirements.

KingSodaPop
08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the explanation! Yea, it did seem as though the subject was just left hanging with no conclusion.

Ok, I just read on the Legg Mason website that Robin has decided to forfeit his match today with Del Potro due to an elbow injury he was feeling during the warm-ups. This is bad news and I hope he recovers in time for the Rogers Masters Cup, Cincy Masters Cup and U.S. Open.

I'll go ahead and say what anyone else is probably theorizing. When Robin made his schedule in the Spring, he probably did not think he would be a Finalist at the French Open, have his best career result at Wimbledon (losing to Federer in 4th Round), and win the Catella Swedish Open. I know he was sick with the flu between FO and hadn't fully recovered when he began Wimbledon. He also won three ARAG Team matches right before the FO.

All the players that go deep in tournaments either play no tourneys from Wimbledon to the Masters Rogers Cup (i.e. Federer, Djokovic, Murray, and this was a good time to leave for Nadal), or play just one local or ATP 500 event (i.e. Del Potro, Roddick, Tsonga, Gonzalez, etc.). The exception is that workaholic Davydenko who stays in the Top 5 every year by out playing everyone else. Ok, Robin's schedule for the summer is somewhat reflective of a player who doesn't expect to go to the Finals all the time with multiple smaller tourney's before the Rogers Masters Cup next week. In August throuh September 13th, there are 2 1000 point Master's events (Rogers Cup in Montreal, Cincy Masters) and the U.S. Open Grand Slam. These are all played within the space of a month.

If I am Robin, and I don't feel 100%, and I know if I play my heart out against Del Potro today, I will have to play Fernando Gonzalez in the Semis(who it took 5 tough sets to beat in Semis of FO) as he already beat Haas earlier today and will get the winner of the Soderling/Del Potro match and then probably have to play Roddick in the Finals in an ATP 500 with the Roger's Cup looming next week, would winning this tournament and possibly sabotaging the two Masters events and U.S. Open be worth it? If I think there is a good possibility I will go far in all 3 big events that I would conserve my engery and my health as the other Top 10 players (besides Davydenko) have done to give myself the best chance to be fresh.

This is the first tourney Roddick, Del Potro and Gonzalez have played since Wimbledon. This is the third one Robin has played. It makes sense that he should be very careful right now not to burn himself out. It is good he got in two hard court matches to get his feet wet. I am sad to not be able to see the Del Potro match today, but look at the injury as a possible blessing in disguise if he is 100% by the time the Rogers Cup begins.

Chris-swede
08-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Robin is out...of the quarters..and seriously can miss Us Open with elbow trouble...would be very sad for him...he was so good in shape...

KingSodaPop
08-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Robin is out...of the quarters..and seriously can miss Us Open with elbow trouble...would be very sad for him...he was so good in shape...

Did you read a news source that states it is serious enough that he may miss the 2 Masters Events and the U.S. Open this month? I can only find articles with very general information on the injury. If this is so, this is terrible news. :confused:

Getta
08-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Robin practising with Marin Cilic at Legg Mason Classic

_qBSEoXRxbA

Sommarsverige
08-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Here is a Swedish article about Robins injury:

His father supposes that Robin will need about 10 days of rest (which would mean he will miss the TMS in Montreal next week) and treatment with cortison.
His father also says that the big goal for the rest of the season are the US Open and that Robin will be fine again until that :)

Söderling skadad - inför US Open
Tennisstjärnan Robin Söderling får ingen perfekt uppladdning inför US open i slutet av augusti.
På fredagen kände han av en skada i armbågen och tvingades lämna återbud till kvartsfinalen i Washingtons ATP-turnering.

På torsdagen tvingades Söderling till tre set mot fransmannen Marc Gicquel (7–5, 5–7, 6–3) och hade för ont i armen för att ställa upp för spel mot den argentinske världssexan Juan Martin del Potro i fredagens kvartsfinal.
Troligen rör det sig om en tillfällig överansträngning, så kallad tennisarmbåge.
- Jag skulle gissa att det rör sig om tio dagars vila och behandling med kortison, säger Robin Söderlings pappa Bo Söderling till TT.
Inga risker

I så fall blir det inget spel i nästa veckas turnering i Montreal och eventuellt är även Cincinatti i farozonen veckan därpå, tävlingar som världstolvan tänkt spela för att vässa hardcourt-formen inför US open, årets sista grand slam-tävling som börjar 31 augusti.
- US open är huvudmålet för resten av säsongen, men till dess kommer Robin att bli bra igen. Han tar inga risker i nuläget, säger Bo Söderling.
Genombrott

Säsongen 2009 har inneburit något av ett genombrott för svensk tennis klarast lysande stjärna som i maj blev först med att besegra Rafael Nadal i Franska mästerskapen och som därefter tog sig ända fram till final, där han emellertid föll i tre raka set mot schweizaren Roger Federer.
I juli tog den snart 25-årige svensken hem karriärens första grustitel när han vann Båstads ATP-turnering.

Source: Expressen.se

KingSodaPop
08-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Here is a Swedish article about Robins injury:

His father supposes that Robin will need about 10 days of rest (which would mean he will miss the TMS in Montreal next week) and treatment with cortison.
His father also says that the big goal for the rest of the season are the US Open and that Robin will be fine again until that :)

Söderling skadad - inför US Open
Tennisstjärnan Robin Söderling får ingen perfekt uppladdning inför US open i slutet av augusti.
På fredagen kände han av en skada i armbågen och tvingades lämna återbud till kvartsfinalen i Washingtons ATP-turnering.

På torsdagen tvingades Söderling till tre set mot fransmannen Marc Gicquel (7–5, 5–7, 6–3) och hade för ont i armen för att ställa upp för spel mot den argentinske världssexan Juan Martin del Potro i fredagens kvartsfinal.
Troligen rör det sig om en tillfällig överansträngning, så kallad tennisarmbåge.
- Jag skulle gissa att det rör sig om tio dagars vila och behandling med kortison, säger Robin Söderlings pappa Bo Söderling till TT.
Inga risker

I så fall blir det inget spel i nästa veckas turnering i Montreal och eventuellt är även Cincinatti i farozonen veckan därpå, tävlingar som världstolvan tänkt spela för att vässa hardcourt-formen inför US open, årets sista grand slam-tävling som börjar 31 augusti.
- US open är huvudmålet för resten av säsongen, men till dess kommer Robin att bli bra igen. Han tar inga risker i nuläget, säger Bo Söderling.
Genombrott

Säsongen 2009 har inneburit något av ett genombrott för svensk tennis klarast lysande stjärna som i maj blev först med att besegra Rafael Nadal i Franska mästerskapen och som därefter tog sig ända fram till final, där han emellertid föll i tre raka set mot schweizaren Roger Federer.
I juli tog den snart 25-årige svensken hem karriärens första grustitel när han vann Båstads ATP-turnering.

Source: Expressen.se

Thanks so much for the news! That isn't disastrous; which is a relief.

The Rogers Cup Masters that he will be missing couldn't have given him a worse draw if they had tried:

http://www3.rogerscup.com/men/english/PDF/MDS.pdf

He does not get a first round bye, his first round opponent would have been Philipp Kohlschreiber. I saw an interview during the French open, I think in this thread, where he was asked who is his toughest match-up besides Roger Federer, and he replied that it was Philipp Kohlschreiber who he felt he always had a difficult time with. He didn't mention any other players. If he had won that match, he would have the winner of the Victor Henesku/Jurgen Melzner match in the Second Round, and since Del Potro has an all Qualifier section to the third round, he would almost certainly met Del Potro again. And to top it off, he is in Nadal's Quarter, so that stress would be looming as well since Nadal hasn't played since their match. If one has to get injured and be out for 10 days, this doesn't look like a bad time to have it happen. :)

Sommarsverige
08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Still wanted to post some of the Robin pictures I took in Båstad :)

Please don´t post them somewhere else without asking for permission, thanks :worship:

Ilovetheblues_86
08-07-2009, 11:46 PM
I believe I'm able to meet all these minimum requirements.

You certainly are. :hug:

Thanks so much for the news! That isn't disastrous; which is a relief.

The Rogers Cup Masters that he will be missing couldn't have given him a worse draw if they had tried:

For sure, and this QF at this 500 will give him some points also.
If he needs to rest until US OPEN, let it be.
It´s not like he needs to defend a lot of points.
GL!

Eden
08-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't know if this has been posted already, a little quiz with Robin from the ATP site:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Media/Channels.aspx?gt=Tie-break+Quiz&q=Tie-break+Quiz

Sommarsverige
08-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks soooo much, Doris :hug:

Ich wollte Dich reppen, aber leider "you have to spread it around bla bla", Dein Avater ist super :yeah:

Nidhogg
08-11-2009, 09:07 PM
The injury is not as serious as some feared. We just might see him in Cinci, and the UO certainly isn't in danger.

Getta
08-11-2009, 10:59 PM
that's good to hear.

Nidhogg
08-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't know if the link to his twitter has been posted here, so... Robin can be a funny guy when he feels like it. :lol:

http://twitter.com/rsoderling

And here's Jenni, his girlfriend:

http://twitter.com/jennimostrom

DanaKz
08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Happy birthday Robin :)

Nidhogg
08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
25 years, well whaddya know. Hope he has a nice birthday. :)

Burrow
08-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm sick of hearing about this twitter stuff but reading Robin and Magnus pages is quite interesting.

I hope his arm is 100%.

25, now time to shine Robo.

A US Open win would be nice :p

trickcy
08-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Happy belated Birthday to Robin :)

Grobar
08-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Happy Birthday Robin,i wish you finals in Cinci and Us Open :)

swedes_rule
08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Cinci first round.. OH CRAP...

SODERLING, Robin SWE vs HEWITT, Lleyton AUS

Ilovetheblues_86
08-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah Hewitt is a guy I would never like to face.

Nidhogg
08-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Lleyton prevailed 3/6 7/6 (8) 6/4, saving two matchpoints in the tiebreak. Robin played decent considering the circumstances and could easily have won. He didn't look heartbroken after the loss.

I'm curious on what's next now. Straight to NY or a WC somewhere?

swedes_rule
08-18-2009, 11:31 PM
:sad: sigh :(

Ilovetheblues_86
08-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Don´t worry guys, the most important is he being happy as he is and due to the circunstances it wasn´t a bad loss.

Getta
08-27-2009, 07:41 PM
US Open

Robin's quarter:

[1] Roger Federer vs Devin Britton
Q vs Simon Greul
Juan Ignacio Chela vs Oscar Hernandez
Thiago Alves vs [31] Lleyton Hewitt

[21] James Blake vs Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo
Olivier Rochus vs Igor Kunitsyn
Q vs Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
Q vs [14] Tommy Robredo

[12] Robin Soderling vs Albert Montanes
Mischa Zverev vs Marcel Granollers
Kevin Kim vs Dudi Sela
Q vs [22] Sam Querrey

[26] Paul-Henri Mathieu vs Mikhail Youzhny
Potito Starace vs Q
Jan Hernych vs Rainer Schuettler
Q vs [8] Nikolay Davydenko

Nidhogg
08-27-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm quite content with this draw. Let the rollercoaster commence.

Ilovetheblues_86
08-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Not bad draw. Granollers and Zverev could take a set from him but the B+ game shoudl win them. Querrey would be a tough draw like Ferrer at French but is winnable.

Webbsporten
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I asked Söderling how he should win against Federer in an eventual quarterfinal, he just answered

Nobody beats me 12 times in a row :)

trickcy
08-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Good luck to Robin :bounce:

Getta
08-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Good practice with mr Ljubicic today.... Take away food and a movie at the hotel tonight.

8 minutes ago from web

http://twitter.com/rsoderling

swedes_rule
08-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Perhaps I am a little biased, but doesn't Robin deserve a bit better than court 11????

Court 11 - 11:00 Start
Women's Singles - 1st Round
Patricia Mayr(AUT) vs. Agnieszka Radwanska(POL)[12]

Men's Singles - 1st Round
Robin Soderling(SWE)[12] vs. Albert Montanes(ESP)

Nidhogg
08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Court 11 is in the same category as 4 and 7, slightly smaller than Grandstand. I wouldn't let that bother me.

http://www.usopen.org/pdf/09_Grounds_Map.pdf

On the other hand, Robin is apparently still a bit unsettled about his elbow. He's not in any real pain, but he keeps thinking about it, worrying. I hope his forehand won't be as wobbly as it was against Hewitt, but you never know. Montanes shouldn't cause any real problems, but he's still one of those guys that can trouble Robin on a bad day. It might be windy, etc... I'll be delighted with every win he can get.

http://www.eurosport.se/tennis/us-open/2009/skada-bekymrar-soderling_sto2046059/story.shtml

Sommarsverige
08-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Good luck, Robin :yeah:

swedes_rule
08-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Court 11 is in the same category as 4 and 7, slightly smaller than Grandstand. I wouldn't let that bother me.

oh i see. im sorry, i guess im a bit ignorant when it comes to the US open grounds.

is it a big enough court to maybe find a live stream do you think?

Nidhogg
08-31-2009, 04:16 PM
oh i see. im sorry, i guess im a bit ignorant when it comes to the US open grounds.

is it a big enough court to maybe find a live stream do you think?

There's no need to be sorry. :lol:

Eurosport 2 is showing Radwanska - Mayr right now on Court 11, so yes, I guess there's a chance. Robin is up as soon as they are done, but Federer enters Arthur Ashe at about the same time.

Nidhogg
08-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Radwanska is up 6/1 4/1 and serving. Go Agnieszka. Finish her off! :rocker2:

Nidhogg
08-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeehaw, there we go! Robin and Albert are warming up. :D

http://atdhe.net/watch-us-open.php?i=4

Sommarsverige
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the stream :hug:

Nidhogg
08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
6-1 3-6 6-1 6-4 to Robin. Not the best match he's played, but he was solid for most of the time even though it was pretty windy and a lot of distractions around the court. A decent starter. =)

Sommarsverige
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Jättegrattis Robin :yeah:

swedes_rule
09-01-2009, 03:22 AM
oh man i cant believe it, i fell asleep!!! i only made it to around midnight my time and he didnt finish till 430am. i should have set an alarm :(

very happy he won though!!!

Nidhogg
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
:lol:

Well, he's not playing this day, so maybe you can sleep soundly tonight. ;)

Here's an interview with Robin after his first match. Bear with the ad...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/01092009/58/soderling-encouraged-winning-start.html

swedes_rule
09-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Court 11 again. Not on till 3rd this time and I have work tomorrow.. I wonder what time I should set an alarm for?? :lol: staying up really didn't work last time.

11:00 Start
Men's Singles - 2nd Round
Maximo Gonzalez(ARG) vs. Jesse Witten(USA)

Women's Singles - 2nd Round
Anastasia Rodionova(AUS) vs. Sabine Lisicki(GER)[23]

Men's Singles - 2nd Round
Robin Soderling(SWE)[12] vs. Marcel Granollers(ESP)

Nidhogg
09-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Robin is through. Marcel retired after two games with a back injury. I hope you didn't loose valuable sleep for this. :haha:

Time for Robin and Magnus to go hit some balls, I guess. I hope Marcel recovers.

swedes_rule
09-03-2009, 11:03 PM
i set my alarm, woke up, saw he was through with hardly playing, and went straight back to sleep. hehe
i know its awful to celebrate someone's injury and all, but YAYYY into the third round!!!! :lol:
i just hope he doesnt miss out on the whole "match practice" that they all go on about?

Ilovetheblues_86
09-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I hope he plays his best against Querrey, because the crowd will be cheering for Sam :scared: its gonan be the toughest match since Federer. :eek:

swedes_rule
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
finally i am awake at the right time, the match has just started. but i cant seem to find a stream that isnt sharapova...grrrrr!!!

KOM IGEN ROBIN!!

Nidhogg
09-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Robin won 6/2 7/5 6/7 6/1. Clutch after that tight breaker. He just kept on going like nothing happened. Querrey really threatened to break back when Robin served at *3-1, but he held in style and Querrey was left deflated. :rocker:

I think he has a good chance in the next round too. Davydenko looks far from unbeatable, but this fast court might work to his advantage once a rally gets going.

swedes_rule
09-06-2009, 12:51 AM
excellent :) i havnt seen davydenko's form yet so i wasnt sure how it was going to go.
kom igen!

KingSodaPop
09-06-2009, 03:46 AM
excellent :) i havnt seen davydenko's form yet so i wasnt sure how it was going to go.
kom igen!

Hopefully, it will go somewhat like it did in the FO: 6-1, 6-3, 6-1. :worship::)

Sommarsverige
09-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Congrats Robin :yeah: :bounce: :yippee:

swedes_rule
09-07-2009, 04:52 PM
first set to robin 7-5 with a serious choke from davydenko.... robin was down a break early and broke back for 4 all and then davydenko doublefaulted set point - i *almost* feel sorry for him. almost. :lol:

good match so far.. anyone else watching?

Ilovetheblues_86
09-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I´m watching. Good chances for win, but must play well in the rallies and serve well, and be calm, since sometimes Denko can auto-destruct himself.

swedes_rule
09-07-2009, 05:28 PM
ok the second half of that second set was a complete nightmare... what the hell happened??? i hope he can pick it back up in the third...

swedes_rule
09-07-2009, 06:16 PM
perhaps it was just my poor quality live stream, but i couldnt see what was wrong with davydenko... he didnt seem injured to me??

Robin wins 7-5 3-6 6-2 ret

i feel kinda bad celebrating that he's had retires in two matches and through to the quarters...

Ilovetheblues_86
09-07-2009, 06:46 PM
A bit of luck is always good, besides that he is not playing badly. Consistency is the goal.
We can always dream about a upset next round, but the most important is that Söderking plays well, cause he can play even better than he plkayed today with Denko since he has nothing to lose. =]

Getta
09-07-2009, 09:15 PM
US Open

R4 vs Davydenko

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05TddLpcD12yG/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/090O4kOd5v4GN/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0doq8WKd17f5P/610x.jpg

Nidhogg
09-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Another good run where Robin lives up to his ranking and beyond is a done deal. Savour the moment on Ashe and give it your all, big guy.

cobalt60
09-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I hope he continues to do well :yeah:

Nidhogg
09-08-2009, 09:18 AM
7iz4SpqMN-s

Not bad, apart from both guys giving up their serve doublefaulting at breakpoint down four times, where two of those BP's were setpoints. :lol:

I noticed during the press conference that Robin has a cold, but apparently it's no fever with it, so it shouldn't be a problem for next match.

Kournikovaism
09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Hope he can beat Fed.

:worship:

Ilovetheblues_86
09-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Maybe one more upset...

swedes_rule
09-09-2009, 06:20 AM
DAMMIT! Theyve got the night session. Which means 9am for me and I'll be at work :sad:
perhaps i should call in sick....

TMJordan
09-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Go Robin.

Nidhogg
09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Here's a nice and interesting interview about a little bit of everything that has happened lately.

http://video.eurosport.se/tennis/us-open/2009/itw-soderling_vid114501/video.shtml

prodigal
09-09-2009, 12:17 PM
hi. i'm new here. i've been browsing for a soderling thread and i finally found one, thanks to KingsodaPop (soderKing in another forum). i'm a fan of both federer and soderling, and i hope no one will take offense from it. i am torn about their upcoming QF match at the US Open. But then again, i can look at it as a win-win situation. However way it ends, i suppose both players deserve respect...
To Robin and Roger!!!!!

Ilovetheblues_86
09-10-2009, 05:19 AM
:sad:

Nidhogg
09-10-2009, 05:28 AM
6/0 6/3 6/7(6) 7/6(6) to Federer. Robin was unlucky with the wind swirling around so much in the first two sets, but my words hasn't he grown as a player this year in so many aspects. Great match from both. Robin really opened up his shoulders in the last two sets. :worship:

Nidhogg
09-10-2009, 06:40 AM
hi. i'm new here. i've been browsing for a soderling thread and i finally found one, thanks to KingsodaPop (soderKing in another forum). i'm a fan of both federer and soderling, and i hope no one will take offense from it. i am torn about their upcoming QF match at the US Open. But then again, i can look at it as a win-win situation. However way it ends, i suppose both players deserve respect...
To Robin and Roger!!!!!

Hello there.

No offense taken here. Roger is an incredible player which I truly enjoy watching as well. I cheered mainly for Robin tonight, but they both put on a good show, and I don't mind Roger doing well.

One can only hope Robin won't draw Fed first chance he gets at the AO. :lol:

Ilovetheblues_86
09-10-2009, 06:41 AM
So, next tournamets I think are gonna be:

Kuala Lumpur then
Beijing then
Shangai Masters

GL and good rest for next 14-16 days!

swedes_rule
09-10-2009, 09:07 AM
i was at work but i had my mum giving me regular updates..
for those who saw it, was it a good match? im really glad he got a set at least :)

Eden
09-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Interview with Robin after the match:

Wednesday, September 9, 2009
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You got off to a slow start, but your game seemed to evolve as the match progressed to the point where you put I think a pretty big concern into Roger the way you were playing. Are you happy with the way you were able to come back?

ROBIN SODERLING: It's tough to play worse than I did in the first two sets, so it could only get better.

No, I don't really like to say I played bad in respect to the opponent, but today I think the first tow sets, I mean, I didn't play that poorly in a long time.

But, yeah, again, I'm happy with the way I turned the match around. I actually had a set point to go up to two sets all.

Q. What were you able to do to turn it around? Was it more of a psychological thing?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, even after the first two sets I was thinking, you know, I can't do worse than this. (laughter.)

I tried to go for it even more, you know. I think I was putting a lot of pressure on him from the start of the third set, and it really worked.

It wasn't as windy at the end of the match than it was in the first two sets, and that helped me. I could serve a little bit better. I could go for my shots a little bit more.

Q. You went as far as you ever have in this tournament. I mean, it's a bit of a breakthrough for you.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, it's been a good tournament. It's been a good year, even though I had some problems in the beginning of the year. But it's still a lot of tennis to be played this year, so hopefully I can stay healthy and I will have a chance to do well, I think.

Q. You talked about going for it in the fourth set tiebreak. It seemed every time you had a look at Federer's serve you were going for a winner on the return. Do you regret basically going for the winner so quickly, or was that part of the game plan, going for broke?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I think due to the circumstances, I think I played the last two sets very well. I felt like I really had to go for the shots, because the longer ‑‑ I felt like the longer the point went on, the better he played. So a lot of the points I won I won in three or two, three or four shots.

Q. When you play Roger, considering your record against him, do you feel like you have to play as if there's really nothing to lose? I mean, just go out there and give it everything you have got?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, sure. I'm pretty sure that I can beat him. Of course, it's tough, but in a match like this where I feel like I didn't play well at all, I'm still one point away from two sets all.

He's a very good player. You know, he's, to me, the best player of all time, so...

But, again, you know, for sure I feel like I have a chance every time I play against him, even though it's pretty small.

Q. You had some difficulty to read his serve and showed some frustration. That changed at the end of the second set when you were able to return many of his serves. How was it important to the outcome of the game?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, he's got a very good serve. For me, it's very tough to read his serve, and I was very impressed about the way he served during the circumstances, because it was very, very windy the first two sets. I had big problems with my serve, but he seemed to serve very good.

Q. Did you have the feeling at the end of the match you were getting tired?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I felt good.

Q. How do you assess Roger's game compared to the meetings in Paris and in Wimbledon?

ROBIN SODERLING: He always plays well, feels like. (laughter.)

I'm really impressed by the way he played in the beginning, because again, it was very windy, and still he played very, very good.

I never played anyone who played that well in windy conditions, so he's definitely playing as well as he did in Wimbledon.

Source: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-09/200909091252493644578.html

Sommarsverige
09-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks very much for the interview, Doris :hug: :yeah:

Sexysova
09-11-2009, 05:35 AM
US Open QF: Roger Federer vs Robin Soderling

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/1327AA13E9744ECD91163A51E0564766.ashx?w=148&h=198 vs http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/6164325ED1B9468A8C74CD39C99F9E7F.ashx?w=148&h=198

MATCH: http://forum.vaidisova-nicole.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=7164&p=12461#p12461

FlameOn
09-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Q. When you play Roger, considering your record against him, do you feel like you have to play as if there's really nothing to lose? I mean, just go out there and give it everything you have got?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, sure. I'm pretty sure that I can beat him. Of course, it's tough, but in a match like this where I feel like I didn't play well at all, I'm still one point away from two sets all.

He's a very good player. You know, he's, to me, the best player of all time, so...

But, again, you know, for sure I feel like I have a chance every time I play against him, even though it's pretty small.

I'm loving the attitude. :yeah: That's exactly the attitude to have.

BTW, still no proper sub-forum for Soderking? Disgrace. :o

Ilovetheblues_86
09-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Go ask Carlita about that. XD
But its good people that really like him keep posting here, I can smell he got new fans since the RG run that really like his game ´n are true fans.

About the last match, I was surprised how into the match was Federer in the first set. Soda´s chances against him only will get bigger in a match if he serves really well, and he couldn´t in the first set because of the wind.

We will have a Soda-Fed final in some indoor event still this year, and I can smell a victory.

FlameOn
09-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Go ask Carlita about that. XD
But its good people that really like him keep posting here, I can smell he got new fans since the RG run that really like his game ´n are true fans.

About the last match, I was surprised how into the match was Federer in the first set. Soda´s chances against him only will get bigger in a match if he serves really well, and he couldn´t in the first set because of the wind.

We will have a Soda-Fed final in some indoor event still this year, and I can smell a victory.
He has grown on me, it was mostly when I saw his Wimbledon match against Federer though. I noticed how he hits very hard but it looks like quite effortless power.

I think Soderling and Verdasco have a lot in common this year. Both made unusually great slam runs and have since justified with very consistent results.

Going back to the Wimbledon match against Federer he also hit a forehand winner off a Federer serve that reminded me of Serena Williams. :lol: He should go for that more often.

Getta
09-12-2009, 05:04 AM

I also jumped on the wagon to maintain its balance as it sped up, sort of makes sense the way I did it.

Ilovetheblues_86
09-12-2009, 05:12 AM
I also jumped on the wagon to maintain its balance as it sped up, sort of makes sense the way I did it.

His new mental fortitude comes from the new n´old fans thinking good things to him. :inlove: The humble man is finding new strenght. :p

Yeah, it will be interesting to see new year how things will happen to him, and Verdasco, and Tsonga also that didn´t have a great year (can he recover?), but I am sure Söderling is still very focused in the end of the year cause he loves indoor so we might still see good things in the next 2 months.

FlameOn
09-12-2009, 05:40 AM
His new mental fortitude comes from the new n´old fans thinking good things to him. :inlove: The humble man is finding new strenght. :p

Yeah, it will be interesting to see new year how things will happen to him, and Verdasco, and Tsonga also that didn´t have a great year (can he recover?), but I am sure Söderling is still very focused in the end of the year cause he loves indoor so we might still see good things in the next 2 months.
I'm a bit worried about Verdasco. Soderling had a solid but not great start to the year, so at the beginning of the year he has the potential to win plenty of points. Verdasco on the other hand - final in Brisbane, Semifinal at Australian Open, QFs of all the hard-court MS events :scared:. It's gonna take a miracle to defend all those points.

swedes_rule
09-16-2009, 12:20 AM
dammit, i was hoping the US open would launch him into the top 10 but no, he sitting at number 11 :(

10 Simon, Gilles (FRA) 3,090 -1
11 Soderling, Robin (SWE) 3,015 +1
12 Gonzalez, Fernando (CHI) 2,885 -1

Ilovetheblues_86
09-22-2009, 07:24 AM
There´s again another interview at ATPTOUR with Robin.
Too much attention- might be bad, might be good.
Might convince him he is a full force now?

FlameOn
09-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't say he has the most aggressive game on the ATP tour. It's aggressive for sure but not the most. I also see a lot of strategy with Robin.

Ilovetheblues_86
09-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Yes, Tsonga and net volleyeres like Dent are more agressive (I think).

Etern
09-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I just realized Gublis has an own forum but Robin hasn't :speakles:

swedes_rule
09-26-2009, 12:46 AM
I just realized Gublis has an own forum but Robin hasn't :speakles:

oh well.. just as well theres all of us real fans out there to continue to cheer for him regardless :) hehe

Getta
09-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Kuala Lumpur

[1] Davydenko, Nikolay RUS v Bye
Golubev, Andrey KAZ v [WC] Dent, Taylor USA
Lopez, Feliciano ESP v Vassallo Arguello, Martin ARG
Istomin, Denis UZB v [5] Monfils, Gael FRA

[3] Soderling, Robin SWE v Bye
Qualifier v Qualifier
Greul, Simon GER v Rochus, Christophe BEL
Kunitsyn, Igor RUS v [6] Berdych, Tomas CZE

[7] Ferrer, David ESP v Youzhny, Mikhail RUS
Lu, Yen-Hsun TPE v [WC] Baghdatis, Marcos CYP
Acasuso, Jose ARG v Qualifier
Bye v [4] Gonzalez, Fernando CHI

[8] Hewitt, Lleyton AUS v [WC] Johansson, Joachim SWE
Gasquet, Richard FRA v Crivoi, Victor ROU
Qualifier v Beck, Karol SVK
Bye v Verdasco, Fernando ESP

Ilovetheblues_86
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Qualifiers are Yani vs Evans.
Then Berdych (big chances)
Then Davydenko/Monfils/Dent/Lopez

Cool.

Nidhogg
09-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Evans played composed and well to beat Yani, but I doubt he'll be more than a good starter for Robin.

FlameOn
09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Let's go Robin. :dance:

I'd love a final between Soderling and Verdasco. Could be delightful. :)

Getta
09-29-2009, 02:22 PM
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=141281252883&ref=mf

ORDER OF PLAY - WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2009

CENTER COURT start 11:30 am
R Gasquet (FRA) vs V Crivoi (ROU)

Not Before 12:30 PM
D Istomin (UZB) vs [5] G Monfils (FRA)
M Youzhny (RUS) vs [WC] M Baghdatis (CYP)

Not Before 5:30 PM
[3] R Soderling (SWE) vs [Q] B Evans (USA)
[1] N Davydenko (RUS) vs [WC] T Dent (USA)
M Melo (BRA) / A Sa (BRA) vs [WC] J Johansson (SWE) / Y Si (MAS)

SweTennis
09-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Why doesn't Robin have an own forum in here? Right now, it's only a thread...

Getta
09-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Why doesn't Robin have an own forum in here? Right now, it's only a thread...

i think because he's not terribly handsome and sun-tanned which is really unfair.

Etern
09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
i think because he's not terribly handsome and sun-tanned which is really unfair.

Sadly I think thats the reason

swedes_rule
09-30-2009, 11:06 PM
6-1 6-1. nice :)

Elena.
09-30-2009, 11:35 PM
He's cute ! I like him !I always did.

Ilovetheblues_86
10-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Is Söderling ugly? I think he´s just not atractive for woman but not exactly ugly. Always liked his style since I have some physical similrties w him.

He needs to do a big effort in Lumpur. He´s already in QF. Who cares if Beijing gives more points, a title here would be a good thing.

Points to defend till the end of the year:

ATP Masters Series Paris R32 70 02.11.2009
(he can improve)
12.10.2008 ATP Masters Series Madrid R32 70 19.10.2009
(I think Shangai now)
20.10.2008 Lyon W 450 26.10.2009
06.10.2008 Stockholm F 310 12.10.2009

(AXAXA those two are the hardest- I believe Robin can must do the best in the masters and in the 500 otherwise he might end the year just outside the top 10).

swedes_rule
10-01-2009, 08:11 AM
actually i think hes rather attractive but perhaps im a little biased because i love his game and personality so much :lol:
he really has quite a few points to defend... he's going to have to pull out the big guns if he wants to be top 10. i reaaaaaalllly want him to finish top 10. even if its just 10. lol.

FlameOn
10-01-2009, 12:04 PM
actually i think hes rather attractive but perhaps im a little biased because i love his game and personality so much :lol:
he really has quite a few points to defend... he's going to have to pull out the big guns if he wants to be top 10. i reaaaaaalllly want him to finish top 10. even if its just 10. lol.
Robin absolutely belongs in the Top 10 and he's very close - probably will get there very soon. No offense to Simon but Robin definitely deserves it more at the moment.

As for Robin's looks, you could do worse. A whole lot worse actually.

Getta
10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/09/Kuala-Lumpur-Friday-Soderling-Cruises-Into-Semis.aspx

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
by ATP Staff, 02.10.2009

Davydenko, Soderling To Clash In Semis

ATP World Tour No. 8 Nikolay Davydenko and No. 11 Robin Soderling will clash in the semi-finals of the inaugural Proton Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur 2009 after both recorded straight-sets wins over strong opposition Friday.

With success at the ATP World Tour 250 indoor hard-court tennis tournament this week, Soderling and Davydenko are looking to strengthen their bids to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, to be held at the O2 Arena in London, 22-29 November.

“Every match is a new match,” commented Soderling, who has a 5-2 record against Davydenko. “I had tough matches with Nikolay. He is in good form. I will have to play as well as I played today.”

Soderling’s campaign to win his second ATP World Tour title of the year gathered pace as he crushed sixth seed Tomas Berdych 6-2, 6-2. The third seed saved the only break point he faced, while converting four of the six break point chances he created in the 64-minute match. It was Soderling’s third successive win over Berdych and improved his career lead over the Czech to 5-2.

“The score looks easier than what was the match. In the first set we had close games,” said Soderling. “I like to play indoors. I grew up in Sweden where most of the year we have to play on indoor courts. The court in Kuala Lumpur suits my game, so I hope I can keep playing this well.”

The 25-year-old Soderling has put himself in contention for qualifying for the season finale after compiling a 27-5 match record since the ARAG ATP World Team Championship, highlighted by knocking out Rafael Nadal en route to reaching his first Grand Slam final at Roland Garros (l. to Federer). The Swede also won his fourth ATP World Tour title, on home soil, at the Catella Swedish Open (d. Monaco).

Top seed Davydenko withstood seven aces and rallied from a break down in the second set to knock out last week’s Open de Moselle champion Gael Monfils 6-3, 6-3 in 73 minutes.

After a shock loss to World No. 122 Thiemo De Bakker in France’s Davis Cup clash with the Netherlands, Monfils had won six straight matches to snap a four-year title drought in Metz (d. Kohlschreiber) and reach his sixth quarter-final of the season this week. The Frenchman dropped to a 30-14 match record.

The 28-year-old Davydenko recorded his 40th match win of the season after reaching his fifth semi-final. The Russian has added to this ATP World Tour title tally this season with victories at the International German Open (d. Mathieu) and the ATP Studena Croatia Open (d. Ferrero), putting himself in a position to qualify for the eight-man field at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Last year, when the finale was staged in Shanghai, Davydenko finished runner-up to Novak Djokovic.

swedes_rule
10-02-2009, 10:30 AM
i cant believe how easily he beat berdych. thats so impressive! i love the "the score looks easier than it was" quote that they all come up with when they flog someone :lol:

Getta
10-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Kuala Lumpur

QF vs Berdych

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs201.snc1/6829_143947182035_79989632035_2772439_3808922_n.jp g http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs221.snc1/6829_143947187035_79989632035_2772440_1892134_n.jp g

Getta
10-02-2009, 12:04 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs221.snc1/6829_143947212035_79989632035_2772443_6155272_n.jp g

Etern
10-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't say Robin is ugly, in my opinion he is better looking than Verdasco. Verdasco just behaves like he is super-hot and for some reason people buy it

Sommarsverige
10-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I am very happy for Robin :)

gam_jonte
10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't say Robin is ugly, in my opinion he is better looking than Verdasco. Verdasco just behaves like he is super-hot and for some reason people buy it

Hahaha, I totally agree with that actually! :worship: that's what i've been thinking for some time now :p

FlameOn
10-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Oi, it's not a contest. :p Their looks are sort of different anyway. They both have their good attributes.

Ilovetheblues_86
10-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Wow.
6-1 4*-3

Last game Söderling broke from 0.

0-40
15-40
4-4 :ras:

Nidhogg
10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
And indeed it proved costly as Davy went on to win. Unnecessary loss.

Oh well. If there's a bright side to this it's that he now won't play in Stockholm just for fun. ;)

swedes_rule
10-03-2009, 01:53 PM
disappointing :( what happened in the tiebreak???

Sommarsverige
10-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Sad he lost :sad: I really hoped for a Robin-Fer final ;)

Ilovetheblues_86
10-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Now to rest for 2 or 3 days and then to play without lack of match practice.

FlameOn
10-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Sad he lost :sad: I really hoped for a Robin-Fer final ;)
Same. :sad:

Getta
10-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Things to do in Beijing:

NADAL, Rafael ESP vs BAGHDATIS, Marcos CYP
BLAKE, James USA vs Qualifier
ACASUSO, Jose ARG vs SAFIN, Marat RUS
FERRER, David ESP vs GONZALEZ, Fernando CHI

DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS vs KUNITSYN, Igor RUS
KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER vs KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO
BENNETEAU, Julien FRA vs DANIEL, Marcos BRA
ANDREEV, Igor RUS vs CILIC, Marin CRO

SODERLING, Robin SWE vs CHARDY, Jeremy FRA
ROBREDO, Tommy ESP vs BECKER, Benjamin GER
MATHIEU, Paul-Henri FRA vs LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO
Qualifier vs RODDICK, Andy USA

VERDASCO, Fernando ESP vs Qualifier
ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP vs FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP
Qualifier vs TROICKI, Viktor SRB
HANESCU, Victor ROU vs DJOKOVIC, Novak SRB

Etern
10-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way. And I know it's not a competition but I find the whole thing interesting :)

The lost in KL didn't look good on the scoreboard. Hopefully the extra day of rest means that he will be able to play great in Beijing, Shanghai and Stockholm. 4 weeks in a row sounds like bad scheduling, especially since he didn't have a long rest before this period.

swedes_rule
10-06-2009, 10:56 PM
does he have to make it so hard? lol

[6] R Soderling (SWE) d J Chardy (FRA) 63 46 62

gam_jonte
10-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Does anyone know if he'll try and defend his Lyon points from last year? I think he should since the event so much bigger this year for some reason.. :p :)

Ilovetheblues_86
10-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Must win Robredo now that Roddick is out.

Sod´s twitter, sometimes there are some pics, :shrug: http://twitter.com/RSoderling

FlameOn
10-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Cool, he won. Keep it going Robin. :)

swedes_rule
10-07-2009, 04:46 AM
Does anyone know if he'll try and defend his Lyon points from last year? I think he should since the event so much bigger this year for some reason.. :p :)

i dont think he's playing lyon at all since he'll have played 4 weeks in a row before it? and then getting ready for paris masters after.. maybe trying to focus on the masters events.

Nidhogg
10-07-2009, 11:09 PM
i dont think he's playing lyon at all since he'll have played 4 weeks in a row before it? and then getting ready for paris masters after.. maybe trying to focus on the masters events.

Aye.

And here's what there is to do on your day off in Beijing:

http://www.chinaopen.com.cn/news/en/2009-10-07/1943157.shtml

"Soderling and Wickmayer learn kung fu

The 2009 China Open hosted a special event at the west gate Wednesday evening. Robin Soderling, a finalist at this year’s French Open, and Yanina Wickmayer, a quarterfinalist at the U.S. Open last month, both received some kung fu lessons on stage.

A teacher and some of his students from the Shaolin Temple, the most famous in China, put on a display before Soderling and Wickmayer arrived. They showed off different skills in kung fu, with some of them even breaking small metal rods over their heads. One of the students had blood streaming down his head on his face after breaking two pieces of metal over his forehead.

When Soderling and Wickmayer came to the stage, they were both a little nervous about trying some of the things they had just watched.

Soderling said it looked difficult, but he was willing to give it a shot.

Wickmayer went first and she went through basic movements, nothing involving breaking boards or metal rods over her head. Still, she admitted just doing that much was a little more than she was capable of.

Soderling was next and as soon as he began trying to follow the instructor, he realized he wasn’t quite as flexible as he needed to be. He took a minute to stretch out, then tried some more, getting through the exercises with a certain lack of grace.

He and Wickmayer both thanked the crowd, the teacher and the students, saying that as difficult as it was, it was a fun experience."

Heh.

hcfoo
10-08-2009, 03:25 AM
Here's the kung fu pic:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Qg6J04XZhR4/Ss1KH4ff6AI/AAAAAAAAKII/MnAVOHl-cwM/s400/img.db.jpg

swedes_rule
10-08-2009, 08:24 AM
lol.. how cute.

Nidhogg
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Such an odd schedule for the matches. Ljubicic, who will play the winner of Söderling and Robredo was first up on court today, and Robin and Tommy are last up, plus neither of the two have played since tuesday. Robredo hasn't played anything since his 52 minute match during Monday.

FlameOn
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
The old Soderling wouldn't be caught dead doing that. :hearts:

Etern
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
He should try ballet

Nidhogg
10-08-2009, 05:05 PM
6/3 6/3 against Robredo and onward to face Ljubicic tomorrow at 3 PM local time on Court 1. There should be a stream available for it, but it may not be of top notch quality.

Doomach777
10-08-2009, 06:57 PM
there will be live stream :D

Getta
10-08-2009, 07:09 PM
There should be a stream available for it, but it may not be of top notch quality.

but its not all bad, match is available to view on the bet365 live streaming facility tomorrow.

Etern
10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm watching the match right now and by the look of it, Robins elbow is hurting :(. Hopefully it's nothing big, but it doesn't look good for his chances of reaching WTF.

SwedSerbia
10-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Robin set for the semi´s against Djokovic, that will be an amazing match :)

swedes_rule
10-09-2009, 11:20 AM
all the tougher opponents hes played i expected him to have trouble with and hes won them easily...
i hope the elbow is ok though!

FlameOn
10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
So glad he won! The results keep coming. Even if the elbow's hurting :sad: he made the semis again, things are looking up. :)

swedes_rule
10-10-2009, 05:20 AM
eugh. way too many double faults in his opening service game. djokovic up a break already :(
come on robin, break him back!!

Nidhogg
10-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Novak won 6/3 6/3. Robin would have needed to make more first serves today, but this was still another good week for him with a decent level of play. Onward to Shanghai to grab more points.

FlameOn
10-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Soderling is now just 40 points behind Gonzalez in the race. A couple more good showings and we might just see Robin in London. :banana:

Ilovetheblues_86
10-10-2009, 08:10 PM
:shrug: Its tough to not be able to play 100% since there a Masters next week.
Hopefully he wont be too tired and will reach another SF. This would help his points a lot.

FlameOn
10-11-2009, 01:47 AM
It's a shame no first-round bye for Robin. Had to be Top 8 seed. :sad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Shanghai_ATP_Masters_1000_-_Singles#Section_2

1R: Hanescu
2R: Kohlschreiber/Almagro
3R: Tsonga
QF: Del Potro
SF: Nadal/Verdasco/Monfils...

Tough draw. If he's not at 100% it could be very tough from 2R onwards.

In terms of passing Feña, he'd have to do better than him by one round in Shanghai. Feña would probably have to face Davydenko in R3 who owns him so a QF would be ideal for Robin.

Etern
10-11-2009, 09:52 PM
An article in swedish: svd (http://www.svd.se/sportspel/nyheter/artikel_3633107.svd).. Basically he says Söderling got a great draw in Shanghai. For me thats BS, whats your opinion?

Nidhogg
10-11-2009, 10:14 PM
All of his fellow contenders for London have better draws in the initial rounds, but Robin can beat both Tsonga and Delpo in his quarter if he plays decent.

FlameOn
10-12-2009, 12:19 AM
All of his fellow contenders for London have better draws in the initial rounds, but Robin can beat both Tsonga and Delpo in his quarter if he plays decent.
:yeah: If he makes it to the quarters I think he could beat Del Pony if Pony's still in a post-slam slump (or still isn't over his illness or whatever), and if he faces Nadal he could beat him too. Robin's exactly what Nadal doesn't want to face lately - a tall guy with a huge serve return and lots of power. Those are the guys who've been thrashing left right and center lately.

belco
10-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Soderling's match against novak is on tennishaven if any1 wants to download it =)

FlameOn
10-13-2009, 12:39 AM
He's playing tonight. I won't get to watch him on TV unfortunately. I'll still be at work, plus it only shows center court matches. I'll be treated to Mugfils and possibly Roddick tonight (if I stay up that late). :yawn: lol

Anyway good luck Robin. :yeah:

FlameOn
10-13-2009, 11:18 AM
He beat Hanescu 3 and 4. :yeah:

Let's see him make a round better than Gonzalez. Then he should take the #8 spot in the race.

swedes_rule
10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Singles - First Round
[9] R Soderling (SWE) d V Hanescu (ROU) 63 64

Nolby
10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Singles - First Round
[9] R Soderling (SWE) d V Hanescu (ROU) 63 64

Did anyone get to see the match? How did his elbow look? I am guessing he is getting a little tired so I was happy to see it went down in 2 sets.

Kohli lost to Almagro 7-6 (8-6) in the third, and then Kohli withdrew from his doubles match citing a shoulder injury. Robin has been quoted as saying he thinks Kohli is one of his toughest match-ups, so part of me is glad he won't face him, but if Kohli is actually injured a "bye" would have been nice for rest.

Robin beat Almagro at Wimbledon and Bastad, but then lost to him at Hamburg. I would think he would have the advantage on this surface if he plays his game.

swedes_rule
10-14-2009, 12:46 PM
[9] R Soderling (SWE) d N Almagro (ESP) 64 75

im really happy with this, i was expecting 3 sets so two close ones is great :)

FlameOn
10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Yes, this is awesome. Robin's results continue to roll in. Gonzalez faces Davydenko next in R3. He happens to be Daydenko's bitch too, tailing the H2H 0-5. If Gonzo loses his next match and Robin win's his, he's officially #8 in the race. :woohoo:

Etern
10-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Next match against Tsonga is a big one. The winner has a great chance of going really far in this tournament and make a lot of points in the race.

FlameOn
10-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Next match against Tsonga is a big one. The winner has a great chance of going really far in this tournament and make a lot of points in the race.
I think Robin will qualify over Tsonga but we shall see. :)

Etern
10-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I think Robin will qualify over Tsonga but we shall see. :)

I hope your right.:) Can't wait to see the match tomorrow, Robin has a great chance if he plays as good as he can

Getta
10-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Shanghai 2009

R2 vs Almagro

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08Z20xfaEj4KT/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eEt59gerS6Dt/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dxV5q86i235u/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/093nbx0fxybLh/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03ns7i56Tfc6n/610x.jpg

Sommarsverige
10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Great pictures and good luck Robin for the match against Tsonga :worship:

Ilovetheblues_86
10-15-2009, 10:09 AM
6-3 6-3 :worship: And I finally saw one of his matches live, he played very very well. Good luck against Melzer/Lopez, a SF is very possible, WTF is getting closer :worship:

Nidhogg
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Yippiekiyay. :rocker:

swedes_rule
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
excellent :D :worship:

Getta
10-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Shanghai 2009

R3 vs Tsonga

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aunfNe1Jf0dD/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09L26ZX3MM49r/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05lbbYq5kF5uZ/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06Fm2Ef09855S/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eixcomelVex5/610x.jpg

FlameOn
10-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes! This is so great. :bowdown: I'm shocked as to how easy the scoreline was. He obviously played really well.

Getta
10-15-2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/10/Shanghai-Thursday-Soderling-Reaches-QFs.aspx

Shanghai ATP Masters 1000
Soderling Too Strong For Tsonga, Reaches QFs

Shanghai, China
by ATP Staff | 15.10.2009

Ninth-seeded Swede Robin Soderling moved up to No. 8 in the 2009 year-to-date South African Airways ATP Rankings points standings on Thursday, after defeating fifth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France 6-3, 6-3 for a place in the quarter-finals of the Shanghai ATP Masters 1000 Presented by Rolex.

Soderling added 90 points to his year-to-date points total (2810 points overall) to move ahead of Chilean Fernando Gonzalez (2780 points), who lost to Nikolay Davydenko, another player attempting to clinch a place at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in November, in the third round.

"I try not to think about it [the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals] too much, because it only makes me nervous, so I try to focus on every match instead and hopefully do well in every match," confessed Soderling. "I know that if I play well, I have a chance, but this tournament won't decide who's going to play in London. There's still a lot of tennis to be played this year, and there's a couple of big tournaments coming up. So I have to keep on doing well the rest of the year."

The 25-year-old Soderling, who also beat Tsonga at Hamburg in May 2008, won 74 per cent of service points and hit eight aces for victory in 70 minutes. Tsonga, who last week captured his fifth ATP World Tour title and third trophy of the year at the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships in Tokyo (d. Youzhny), had his serve broken four times as he won 54 per cent of service points.

"He was playing really good at the beginning," said Soderling. "I expected him to play well because he's a great player and he's in good form, coming in from Tokyo. His level dropped a little bit after I broke him the first time. But I think even though the score was 3 and 3, I think it was a pretty close match, and I'm very happy that I played well, because I really needed to play well today."

Soderling, who is coached by former ATP pro Magnus Norman, improved to a 42-17 season record highlighted by one ATP World Tour title at the Catella Swedish Open in Bastad (d. Monaco) and a runner-up finish at Roland Garros (l. to Federer). Tsonga, 24, failed to record his 50th match win of the year (49-17 match record).

FlameOn
10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Nice article. Glad Robin's not letting the pressure of qualifying affect his play (unlike some people in my signature :rolleyes:). :yeah:

Nolby
10-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks Getta, for the article and all the great pictures!!! This is fantastic! Not only is Robin now #8 in the WTF points standings, but if Djokovic beats Simon tomorrow, he should be in the Top 10 on Monday. I haven't checked out all the possible scenarios yet (like Stepanek winning the whole Masters tourney, for example), but most likely he will be Top 10 for the first time in his career next week! :worship::worship::worship:

Congrats Robin!

Ilovetheblues_86
10-16-2009, 12:35 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGQZjZkBLxk&hl=pt-br&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGQZjZkBLxk&hl=pt-br&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

FlameOn
10-16-2009, 01:29 AM
What a shot. :bowdown:

Ilovetheblues_86
10-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Söderling was gammed by Feliciano Clement.

Getta
10-16-2009, 12:20 PM
sometimes gams happen, but then think about what could happen next to make things look good and work right.

FlameOn
10-16-2009, 01:43 PM
At least Robin will be Top 10 when the new rankings come out. I think the whole race to London thing has overshadowed that a bit. What an achievement. :bowdown:

Feli Lopez obviously played very well, 'cause you have to to beat Robin these days.

Sapeod
10-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Easy road to a title in Stockholm :rocker2:

swedes_rule
10-18-2009, 01:04 AM
yeah stockholm draw looks great. i LOOOOOVE seeing a [1] next to his name :D

FlameOn
10-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Here's to Robin in Sweden. :rocker2:

swedes_rule
10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
i know we all want robin to qualify for london but i think its GREAT that he has reached the career milestone of top 10 :) :worship: congrats robin!

Ilovetheblues_86
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
This is a status mno one can take away from him.

Sommarsverige
10-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Good luck Robin at home in Stockholm :yeah:

phelbyn
10-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Keep it up Robin! Make it to Doha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Nolby
10-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Congrats on the Top 10 ranking, Robin!! Good luck on the WTF! I guess it is down to Tsonga, Verdasco and Soderking for the 8th spot. Of course, someone will probably be injured and he could get in if he finishes 9th too.

Is Soderking the only Top 10 player to never get his own separate Player Forum on MTF? An outrage!

Etern
10-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Breaking into the top ten is a big step in his carrier, now climb into the top eight before the year ends :D

Sommarsverige
10-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Big congrats to Robin (and his coach of course) :yeah:

swedes_rule
10-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Singles - First Round
[1] R Soderling (SWE) d [LL] G Lapentti (ECU) 63 60

:) Nice easy first round

swedes_rule
10-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Singles - Second Round
[1] R Soderling (SWE) d A Seppi (ITA) 61 63

Kom Igen :)

Ilovetheblues_86
10-23-2009, 12:41 AM
:bigclap:

Getta
10-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Robin defeats GGL 7-6(4) 6-4 to reach semis.

swedes_rule
10-24-2009, 01:00 AM
:bigclap: yay robin :)

Nolby
10-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Great victory for Robin! He showed quite a bit of composure winning that one while not playing 100%.

Does anyone have any information on how severe his elbow is hurting? He kept getting it looked at between changeovers and had the trainer out. It looked like it was pretty sore. I am praying he can hold up for two more matches to take this title.

swedes_rule
10-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Singles - Semi-finals
M Baghdatis (CYP) d [1] R Soderling (SWE) W/O (elbow)

:sad::bigcry:

Ilovetheblues_86
10-24-2009, 02:51 PM
This sucks a lot.

Dini
10-24-2009, 02:52 PM
:sad:

Get well Robin.

FlameOn
10-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Robin deserves better than this. :(

To have his chances to at least fight for the #8 spot possibly jeopardized so close to the tour finals is very unfair.

swedes_rule
10-24-2009, 03:52 PM
From Stockholm website... it makes it sound like he is positive and just withdrawing to make sure he can play the next few weeks, but im not so confident :(

Soderling retires from the tournament
Robin Soderling has today given the sad news that he does not compete in today's semifinal against Marcos Baghdatis. An arm injury put an end to the world nr ten.

Soderling retires from the tournament

Unfortunately, If Stockholm Open suffered a heavy setback. Home hope Robin Soderling forfeit in today's semifinal against Marcos Baghdatis because of an injured elbow.

Soderling has enough pain in his right elbow that he will not be able to play. Hopefully the injury is so mild that he can played the particularly important tournaments in Valencia and Paris. Soderling chasing a place in the Masters finals and good results are required in the next two tournaments if he can have a chance to qualify.

Soderlings defection means that Marcos Baghdatis now is ready for the final is Stockholm. There he will play against Olivier Rochus.

Nidhogg
10-24-2009, 08:23 PM
http://www.eurosport.se/tennis/stockholm-open/2009/skadan-stoppar-soderling_sto2102032/story.shtml

I'll do a rough translation:

The reason Söderling pulled out is the injury that has been bothering him since earlier this year which forced him to take a brief spell off the court during the American HC swing. As Söderling received treatment to his elbow in his QF match he realised that it would be a tall task to play the SF.

"I thought "If I don't hold my serve now I'll give up" as I was serving for the match. I've come very close to giving up in matches in Asia as well. The pain has been tough to cope with."

Söderling says that he has been bothered by the injury ever since Båstad, but has never given himself enough time to mend.

"In order for it to fully heal I'd need about two or three weeks of good rest. With only a week I might be able to play again, but in order to be at a 100 % I need more time."

The injury comes as a result of a tough and tightly packed schedule with many matches.

Despite an extreme pain Söderling isn't all too worried. It's a muscle injury which doesn't require surgery.

Looking at the situation where so many players recently has pulled out of tournaments due to injuries Söderling says:

"The schedule needs to be rearranged. You have to play this and you have to play that, and if you don't you'll be punished. They want everyone to play, but it just doesn't work. If I don't go to Valencia I'll receive a zero-pointer which I'll have to live with for a whole year."

"Noone is able to play. Everyone wants to, but noone can."

Björki
10-25-2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.gp.se/image_processor/1.231252!image/439926772.jpg_gen/derivatives/wide/439926772.jpg?maxWidth=440

swedes_rule
10-25-2009, 01:54 AM
thx very much for the article and translation... im a bit worried as i dont know when he will have the time to have a few weeks off to rest?? :confused:

thanks for the pic peggy, its gorgeous!!!

Eden
10-25-2009, 12:31 PM
From Times Online
October 25, 2009

The Net Post: Quiet man Robin Soderling is the man to beat

The Times Tennis Correspondent hears how the Swede aims to achieve his grand-slam goal, bangs the drum for further education and agrees with Lleyton Hewitt's impassioned plea for the future of tennis

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00634/soderling585_634279a.jpg
(Olivier Morin/AFP)
Focused: Soderling shuns fame and celebrity in his attempt to reach the top

Neil Harman

Spend half an hour with Robin Soderling and it is not surprising that few in tennis can say they really know the lawyer's son from Tibro, the furniture centre of Sweden. "I'm very quiet, especially on the tour," he said. "I'm always extremely focused, I feel as if I'm in my own little world sometimes and don't see what's happening around me."

What is happening is that - the elbow problem which forced his retirement before his semi-final of the IF Stockholm Open against Marcos Baghdatis on Saturday notwithstanding - the Swede's repute among those in the know is growing at a considerable rate. He is currently No 8 in the 2009 league table on which entry for next month's Barclays ATP World Tour Finals at the 02 Arena will be calculated. The top eight make it. Soderling is the man to knock over.

There has not been a Swede in the championship since 2000, the first time it was played as the Masters Cup, when Magnus Norman qualified, along with Marat Safin, Pete Sampras, Lleyton Hewitt, Alex Corretja, Gustavo Kuerten, Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Andre Agassi. Norman is now Soderling's coach; Corretja is a part-time advisor to Andy Murray and will be with the British No 1 in Valencia, Spain if his proposed return to the tour is confirmed next week.

It has taken Soderling time to make his impact; he is 25 and has been playing in grand-slam tournaments since 2002. The reason why his rise has been gradual rather than meteoric becomes clear as he reminisces. "I've had various problems with injuries, so that it was only really last year that I was able to play enough and practice enough to be able to put a run together," he said. "I finished the year at 17 in the rankings, so I knew I had a chance to getting better if I could play more."

The last and most painful of those injuries can at the end of 2007 when he hurt his left wrist against Safin in Montreal in August and did not play the rest of the year. Murray's concern? A left wrist injury. "I hope it's not exactly the same as mine because I was out for six months," Soderling said. "It was tough and I had to occupy myself by doing lots of other things, practising the serve, working on my fitness, because I couldn't hit a backhand at all."

In 2009, he has been outstanding. In all of the grand slams bar the Australian Open, he has buried his previous poor performance records to reach the final of the French Open, the last 16 at Wimbledon, the quarter-finals of the US Open (losing on each occasion to his career nemesis Roger Federer). Of course, it was in Paris where he came of age, breaking Rafael Nadal's unbeaten record at Roland Garros in the fourth round, taking Nikolay Davydenko and Fernando Gonzalez out in the next two and waking up a little too late to disturb Federer's march into history in the final.

What had made his victory over Nadal all the more remarkable was that on a chill evening in Rome a few weeks earlier - with the Net Post in attendance - he had been beaten 6-1, 6-0 by the Spaniard. To say that the scoreline was a shoddy reflection on the match is an understatement. Soderling played beautifully at times, only for Nadal to play with his typically extraordinary defiance.

So how did he turn that around? "I knew that the margins had been very small in Rome and that if I could be 100 per cent focused, there was no reason why I couldn't win," he said. "Beating him was big, of course, but I was still in the tournament so I couldn't celebrate. I didn't want to beat him and fade in my next match. If it had been the final, perhaps I would have looked a bit happier about it."

Then he did reach the final, to play Federer. The record was 9-0 to the Swiss before Paris (it is 12 now). "If he beats me a 100 times in a row I will still believe I have a chance against him," Soderling said. "He always finds a way against me, he plays so fast and so aggressively, I can't get into a rhythm. In the final, I didn't play well at all. I was nervous, because it had been my dream to play a grand slam final and now here I was. I didn't get a good start but I did work my way back and then played a poor tie break. He deserved it, it was a momentous day."

The time away from the spotlight focused Soderling's mind on the need to improve his movement and physical resilience. He is a powerful physical specimen, light on his feet which is imperative when his swing is based on such a wide arc. The indoor courts suit him well and he is playing two more events (elbow permitting) in which he should secure the points to play in London.

But don't expect him to hog the headlines. "Fame doesn't interest me. I always wanted to play tennis, that's it. I'm trying every day to be a better player. I want to win the big titles. I've been to a (grand slam) final once and I'm still alive. I can do it again."

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6889481.ece

FlameOn
10-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Why are that saying he's #8 in the race table? :confused: Everything else about the article was good.

swedes_rule
10-25-2009, 01:04 PM
that article was great!!!! i love it!!!! :)

Sommarsverige
10-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I am very sorry to hear that Robin got injured in his home tourney :(

Get well soon, Robin :yeah:

Orka_n
10-29-2009, 12:16 AM
http://svt.se/2.21318/1.1748770/soderling_har_tennisarmbage?lid=senasteNytt_268304&lpos=rubrik_1748770

Norman says Soderling's got tennis elbow - and that he needs 3 weeks of rest to recover. That means no Valencia and no Paris. Which means no WTF. D; Really sad, but the smartest move now would be to concentrate on the next season. :'(

Nidhogg
10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
He should never have played Stockholm in the first place. As for the WTF, other top guns may well pull out opening the door for those who end up at 9-12 in the race.

FlameOn
10-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Robin. :sad: No Valencia or Paris? Ouch. :(

Hopefully there won't be any pull-outs from the rest of the top guns. Many of them aren't even playing right now so hopefully they'll all be recovered in time. If everyone can play then the TMC could be a real thrilling tournament.

Ilovetheblues_86
10-30-2009, 08:07 AM
That´s indeed very sad.

Orka_n
10-30-2009, 12:53 PM
He should never have played Stockholm in the first place. As for the WTF, other top guns may well pull out opening the door for those who end up at 9-12 in the race.Tru dat, tru dat.

Also, correcting my earlier post now, I made too many assumptions. I got some good news, Robin said on tv today that he skips Valencia, but IS in fact aiming for Paris. But I'm not sure this is the best move... Robin also said he'd get "more rest afterwards" - which means he doesn't really think he'll be completely healed by then. And THAT means he won't go to the Paris final, ergo probably not qualify for the WTF (well, not as one of the 8, anyway). So I wonder why he'll want to participate at all. Because he wants to protect his spot in the rankings? Nah, I believe it's simply because everyone who skips a Master get punished for it.

swedes_rule
11-01-2009, 12:22 PM
im concerned about him playing.. i think he needs to rest it. he doesnt want to make it worse and start off in january injured. aus open is a great chance for him to move up in rankings after his poor performance this year *baaaaad memories...*

Etern
11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
He should never have played Stockholm in the first place. As for the WTF, other top guns may well pull out opening the door for those who end up at 9-12 in the race.

He knew from the beginning that he would play Stockholm because it's in Sweden. He shouldn't have played Kuala Lumpur. it was way to close to DC and also meant he would have to play for four more weeks (in two continents). The elbow-problem isn't something new. The only reason he played in KL was money, being popular is new to him :)

If he makes it to the WTF then I'm very happy but I have a good feeling for next season as well.

Getta
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
he'll do well down under.

Nidhogg
11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
He knew from the beginning that he would play Stockholm because it's in Sweden. He shouldn't have played Kuala Lumpur. it was way to close to DC and also meant he would have to play for four more weeks (in two continents). The elbow-problem isn't something new. The only reason he played in KL was money, being popular is new to him :)

If he makes it to the WTF then I'm very happy but I have a good feeling for next season as well.

I meant that he, considering how the Asian swing went where he felt his wrist in plenty of matches, should have sat out both Sthlm and Valencia. Skipping Kuala Lumpur, which would have given him a longer rest after the DC tie, would indeed probably have been the best choice from the start of the fall.

Etern
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I meant that he, considering how the Asian swing went where he felt his wrist in plenty of matches, should have sat out both Sthlm and Valencia. Skipping Kuala Lumpur, which would have given him a longer rest after the DC tie, would indeed probably have been the best choice from the start of the fall.

Ok in that case I agree with you :) But it's easy to understand that skipping Stockholm wasn't easy to do, everyone expected him to be there (including me since I live in Stockholm :p). I guess the only positive thing is that he might learn from this..

Ilovetheblues_86
11-08-2009, 01:29 AM
That tv show that Orka posteds in funny photos thread, what was that?

gam_jonte
11-08-2009, 02:34 PM
That show was Skavlan. A Swedish talkshow of sorts :) he meets with different guests every week, sometimes it's quite interesting.

Ilovetheblues_86
11-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Great, I can imagine what the talked there: best season of life, free of injuries, always believed could beat Nadal, the elbow injury, Federer´s almost invincible, etc. :p

Ilovetheblues_86
11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Soderking beat Denko and its in quaterfinals 2 victories from WTF. XD

Nidhogg
11-12-2009, 01:05 PM
The elbow, dear elbow, hang in there...

Great, I can imagine what the talked there: best season of life, free of injuries, always believed could beat Nadal, the elbow injury, Federer´s almost invincible, etc. :p

Pretty much, and about all quirks tennis players have as routine for their matches. Robin mentions stuff like always using the same shower, and if he has a certain meal and plays well after that, he wants to eat the same dish for the remainder of that tournament. :lol:

http://svtplay.se/v/1750930/skavlan/del_7_av_12

Robin is on from 26.30 and onwards til Vince Vaughn appear.

SweTennis
11-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Robin lost today to Djokovic, but if Roddick withdraws he's in!:)

gam_jonte
11-13-2009, 10:59 PM
We can hope that atleast :) There are one player that can spoil it all and that's Stepanek, hopefully he'll loose to Monfils or Nadal/Djoko otherwise we have a problem :/

swedes_rule
11-14-2009, 12:18 AM
i dont think stepanek has a chance does he?
how badly injured is roddick?

FlameOn
11-14-2009, 12:24 AM
i dont think stepanek has a chance does he?
how badly injured is roddick?
He's pretty injured. A week or so ago, he tweeted that he 'never thought he'd be able to be excited to be able to jog slowly', so there's almost no way he'll be fit for the WTFs.

Guys, I've been rather conflicted 'cause of wanted Nando to qualify, but if Soderling gets to WTFs, I'll be cheering both of them on. :) Roddick I don't think will play.

Ilovetheblues_86
11-14-2009, 03:09 AM
I don´t care much about WTF, but I reckon it could be a motivator for him and a deserved prize for the good year after RG mostly.

Getta
11-14-2009, 03:35 AM
it could be cynically seen as a money grab that endangers the health of the best players... in the bohemian approach to life, wtf is viewed as sharing a celebration of expression of tennis community...

even so, served hot or cold it's all one to me.

SweTennis
11-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Stepanek has no chance qualifying. Robin is first reserve after Tsonga's loss against Nadal.

gam_jonte
11-14-2009, 04:57 PM
You are wrong SweTennis, he will be nr 9 if he wins Paris :( so i really hope that he don't win...

SweTennis
11-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Ok, but now Stepanek lost so Robin IS first reserve.:)

gam_jonte
11-15-2009, 12:31 PM
yep :) Great news! hope that someone will withdraw before he plays any match at all so Robin will get to play a minimum of 3 matches. :)

Ilovetheblues_86
11-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I trust he can defeat Tsonga, Verdasco and Davydenko. (favourite?)
Hard matches against Nadal and Djokovic and Del potro.
Almost impossible against Federer.

gam_jonte
11-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes, i would say the same.
Altough i think that Djoko and DelPo will be alittle tougher than Nadal, but either way he really have the game to beat all of them :) But say that Robin replaces Roddick do you know how the groups will be? Which three players he'll have in his group? :)

Nolby
11-16-2009, 01:31 AM
From the London Times Online for Monday, November 16th:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6918010.ece (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6918010.ece)

"Djokovic can finish the year as world No 2 in London and although he did not exactly look like the freshest of daisies as he left here last night, he is a trouper and will not let the side down. Söderling can expect to pack his bags for London because Andy Roddick is preparing to announce today that he is unfit to play at the O2."

Robin is in the World Tour Finals in London!!! Go Robin!! Secure your place in the Top 8 and enjoy all the "Byes" in 2010!!!!!! :):worship::D

Ilovetheblues_86
11-16-2009, 01:33 AM
I think its important for him to fight a lot in 2010 to defend his performance in GS and keep motivated, hopefully he wont be too lazy only because he is WTF now and in rank #9.

Nolby
11-16-2009, 01:43 AM
I think its important for him to fight a lot in 2010 to defend his performance in GS and keep motivated, hopefully he wont be too lazy only because he is WTF now and in rank #9.

Ohh, but you know how important it is to start those Masters events in R32 instead of R64. One win, and you are in R16. Two wins, and you make the QFs. It's no accident that the top players don't change that much. It is a tremendous advantage and especially when you realize Robin's injuries came from playing too many matches in time periods that we're very compressed. If he keeps his work habits up, he will get used to playing more big matches against the top players in the QFs and SFs. I was happy that he took the in form Djokovic to three sets in this past tournament, and won the second set 6-1. The ATP has skewed the points in favor of the Semi-Finalists and Finalists so that once you make it to the top, you have all the advantages to stay there and don't have to burn yourself out.

In other words, Magnus and Robin should never be playing Kuala Lampur-->Beijing-->Shanghai-->Stockholm ever again. Get rid of Kuala Lampur ATP250s from next years schedule and play smart ATP 250 tourneys to stay sharp. A top 10 player should have a much more advantageous schedule than Robin has been playing. Things are looking up, no doubt!

Getta
11-17-2009, 09:32 PM
the lines have now closed, Robin arrives - it's official (http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/11/Finals-Soderling-Elevated.aspx)

swedes_rule
11-17-2009, 11:15 PM
yayyyyyyy Robin :D

Nolby
11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
So very happy for Robin and Jenni. He has worked so hard to make it to the WTF this year, and this will be fun for the next two weeks to see him get some well deserved recognition and hopefully win some big matches.

Robin, please take this title the way Nalby did in Shanghai in 2005! I am hoping the elbow is getting better every day! You had a heroic season! :worship: :clap2::rocker2:

DanaKz
11-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Nadal, Djokovic, Davydenko.
Come on Robin!

Nidhogg
11-18-2009, 09:22 PM
A good draw. Have a blast and blast away, Robin.

Now, how about some memories? The video quality of the second clip is incredible, even for HD. Make sure to watch it in fullscreen. ;)

adIufICjAus

GYcc0u8fNoY

SwedSerbia
11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
A good draw. Have a blast and blast away, Robin.

Now, how about some memories? The video quality of the second clip is incredible, even for HD. Make sure to watch it in fullscreen. ;)

adIufICjAus

GYcc0u8fNoY

Best videos ever :D

Winnipeg
11-19-2009, 02:00 AM
loving those videos!

Nolby
11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the great videos. I remember how amazing he was against Davydenko and Gonzalez too. Barclays has apparently been rushing out new promotional material. Robin doesn't have that required "pompous" look for the final 8 down quite yet: ;)

http://i48.tinypic.com/nlvm2g.jpg

gam_jonte
11-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Haha, yeah ^^ well, they could have choosen a better picture though :P that looks way to wrong there :P

Nolby
11-20-2009, 05:36 AM
Haha, yeah ^^ well, they could have choosen a better picture though :P that looks way to wrong there :P
:lol:

Jenni and Robin don't have that "Big Time" celebrity thing going yet. I wonder how he is going to adjust to it all in 2010? He was practicing with Federer again today for 2 hours, and Fed is kind of introverted. Would it be going out on a limb to call them friends?

I've got some Robin news to share, quite a bit of it to be sure. First off, Magnus has a great blog and he related that Robin and he had a horrible, frightening flight to London because of a storm in Copenhagen where they we're to catch a connecting flight. I think this happened on Wednesday:

Magnus Norman Blog:
http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/

Advanced
postedNovember 18, 2009 by magnus (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/author/magnus/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhhPe2ABuZxv6fr9ZImmCFkgs58mzQ)

"One of the worst flights ever had to start the build up for the Masters in London. We made a stopover in Copenhagen and it was a storm! I do not lie. As close to "throw up" several times. Sat and sweated when we circulated over Copenhagen 1 hours waiting for our turn to land. When the plane was still at the gate it careened back and forth by the wind. Totally sick. So glad to be there now!

Tomorrow, we'll learn the stadium.

Nolby
11-20-2009, 05:52 AM
From the Magnus Norman Blog. It sounds like Jenni did not make the trip.

Day 1 London

November 19, 2009 by magnus (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/author/magnus/&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhg36TaK0NOn6zGMcI57Rv_cO4tEvg)
Filed under ATP Tour, (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/category/atp-tour/&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhgMljQPpkjzoOVflKYQiZ8eHN0dEw) Pictures, (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/category/bilder/&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhiGlwW0t8GtKuQq8EeQtGxkSifY1Q) Swedish Tennis (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/category/svensk-tennis/&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhgDlQl9v3ZIkmGskZUbNdhDTBBz-w) 10 Comments (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/dag-1-london/&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhguGa8PlCPeIym-7AiWSkYLq2j-xA#respond)

Had it not been for a couple who seemed to have great fun in the room next to me was the night perfectly. Slept like a log after the flight (except when we woke up to screams in the next room).

In the morning I ate frulle with coach Scott and got training, downloads and did a little private business. The morning was devoted to a little waking and stretching in the gym. 13 o'clock we went out to Queens club where the training courses available. Runway at O2 arena being built today, where we can start playing tomorrow.
http://answermyquestionjerk.se/magnus/files/2009/11/edberg-300x225.jpg
(ShamWow! Note: I have no idea why he posted this picture or what this about. Is that supposed to be Robin?)

We trained 2 hours against Federer played between 14-16. Match play. Really good. After tennis we drove a little strength in the gym again before Robin took the treatment. Each player has a personal driver who drives the players to where they want. Traffic lanes so it will be some time in the car between training sessions.

Summation of the first day is positive. Great fun to be here. For me as a coach is a dream and I am enjoying more than I did myself as a player 2000. I can take my impressions in a different way. As a player, you are so focused on the game that you do not really have time to take on board what is happening around them. Finals to be run in Europe. It's that simple!

Comments by Magnus in reply to questions:

"How did Federer do at your training?
Robin?"

Magnus: Both looked sharp out there! A bit boring answer but it's all I can say:)

Nolby
11-20-2009, 06:04 AM
http://i.eurosport.se/2009/06/08/526198-4439206-317-238.jpg

http://www.eurosport.se/tennis/atp-tour/2009/soderling-till-london_sto2126121/story.shtml

Robin ready for London - Norman believes in success

Andy Roddick to cancel the ATP finals. This means that the world nian Robin Soderling go to London. "It's an experience just being in place, it proves that Robin has delivered," said Soderling's coach Magnus Norman, who says that Tibro son is mentally most alert in the entire starting field.

Robin Soderling had to reach the final of the Paris Masters to qualify for the ATP finals in London. But that dream broke when the Swede fell in the quarterfinals against Novak Djokovic. On Tuesday, however, was good news for the Tibro Native.

According to Pelle Hjertqvist, Soderling's agent, Andy Roddick canceled his plans for the ATP finals.
Roddick has pulled out. It is a wonderful thing for Robin and Swedish tennis. You just have to congratulate, they have done a fantastic job, says Hjertqvist to eurosport.se. Soderling's coach Magnus Norman is obviously satisfied.

- It's an experience just to be in place, there are only few players are having. It's a cool tournament and this is confirmation that Robin delivers. It feels really cool, "said Soderling's coach Magnus Norman to eurosport.se.

ELBOW Does Not Stop Soderling

http://i.eurosport.se/2009/11/13/558020-6930761-317-238.jpg

Soderling has had problems with his elbow the last time he played. But according to Norman, he is playable in London.

-It is no worse now than before and he feels in good shape. He has received treatment by a physiotherapist every day since the Stockholm Open and it has worked really well, "said Norman, the only Swede who previously played ATP finals.

He has proven that he is better than you?

- Not really, "said Norman, laughing. But that's just a matter of time before he does.

What do you think about his chances in the tournament?

- I think Robin is one of those who played the best at the end, he feels fresh and even better mentally prepared.

Fredrik Jönsson - eurosport.se

Nolby
11-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Soderling set against Nadal and Djokovic

http://www.eurosport.se/tennis/atp-tour/2009/soderling-moter-nadal_sto2126626/story.shtml

http://i.eurosport.se/2009/05/31/524371-4410761-317-238.jpg

Groups of ATP finals are completed. Robin Soderling will meet world number two Rafael Nadal and defending champion Novak Djokovic in London.

World #9 Robin Soderling was ready for the ATP finals in London after Andy Roddick has postponed due to a knee injury. On Sunday prefer super tournament started and the Swede may be, as expected, tough as it is the eight best in the world participating.

The two groups were randomly assigned on Wednesday and Soderling came in Group B with Rafael Nadal, defending champion Novak Djokovic and Nikolay Davydenko. In group A meet Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Juan Martin del Potro and Fernando Verdasco. (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://www.eurosport.se/tennis/person_prs22638.shtml&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhjmCgx5-cFBbpATPGZlIRc86idV4w)

After three round robin games, two from Group B will be chosen for the semi-finals. Interest in London is great, and Soderling can look forward to play in front of 15 000 spectators when the tournament has sold 250 000 tickets. The tournament runs from June 22-29 November.

Fredrik Jonsson - eurosport.se