Travel Warning: No raquets on planes [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Travel Warning: No raquets on planes

for-sure
07-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I was traveling in Europe yesterday and just before getting on the plan during the security check a security officer told me that I could not take my raquets onboard as carry-on because they were considered a possible "weapon." Luckly, I had a friend wait in case of this type of situation. The friend took the raquets (which otherwise I would have been forced to leave at the airport). To think that just 3 weeks ago I got on a plan with no hassel and raquets at hand!

undomiele
07-30-2005, 08:26 PM
And yet they allow ppl to go onboard with duty-free glass wine and liquor bottles.. :rolleyes: Crazy isn't it?

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Yes, I can confirm the racquet thing is right as I took a domestic flight and had the racquet to go on board and she said you have to check that in and I wasn't thrilled.

El Legenda
07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
you can really kick some a$$ with a raquet

ae wowww
07-30-2005, 08:58 PM
I once got caned in the back with a tennis racket, and its a fairly good weapon. The fist however is a greater strength, as I then showed in counter-attack.

stebs
07-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Why didn't you just take it anyway? why do you need it with you on the plane?

alelysafina
07-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Thats wierd, I went to Mexico and back to the US with racquet in hand last year, and no one said anything to me.
I wouldn't want to put my racquet anywhere near the luggage, I guess Im afraid that becuase luggage is so heavy, it might like crack it or snap it in two while its being transferred. Could that actually happen? or am I just Paraniod?

nermo
07-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Thats wierd, I went to Mexico and back to the US with racquet in hand last year, and no one said anything to me.posted by alelysafina

last year isn't yesterday, especially these days in Europe...with all the security precautions taken , u know?

alelysafina
07-30-2005, 09:45 PM
yeah, I get what your saying.

Saumon
07-30-2005, 09:50 PM
i once read something that corretja wrote about it on his site ( http://www.alexcorretja.com/ontour/traveltales/ )

My Racquets
I never like to let my racquets out of my sight. Even when I go into the bathroom at the airport I won’t put them on the ground beside me – I keep them on my shoulder.

Sometimes the airlines won’t let you carry racquets on as hand luggage. After Marta, the next thing I want next to me on the plane is my racquets. They go almost everywhere with me, unless I’m going on holidays.

Each year in Australia we always have trouble trying to take our racquets onto the plane for the flight from Sydney to Melbourne. Recently in the United States I’ve been told that tennis racquets could be lethal weapons. I can understand that following the attacks of September 11.

Nadal seems to have been allowed to take his racket with him when he went to Wimbledon ( http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/gallery/592308/12/25172288 ) and Stuttgart ( http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/gallery/669893/18/28907623 ) ;)

alelysafina
07-30-2005, 10:26 PM
At least Im not the only Paranoid one :)

uNIVERSE mAN
07-31-2005, 12:42 AM
I'd be petrified if someone waved a tennis racquet at me. I can see my life flash before my eyes just by the thought of it.

uNIVERSE mAN
07-31-2005, 12:43 AM
i once read something that corretja wrote about it on his site ( http://www.alexcorretja.com/ontour/traveltales/ )

Nadal seems to have been allowed to take his racket with him when he went to Wimbledon ( http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/gallery/592308/12/25172288 ) and Stuttgart ( http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/gallery/669893/18/28907623 ) ;)

different rules for first class.

Fee
07-31-2005, 12:50 AM
That seems like a very recent policy change and it can't be going over very well. If that had been me, I might have asked for a supervisor and asked to see the policy in writing (as politely as I could). If this is happening to the players, they cannot be happy about it AT ALL. Rackets are no more a weapon than the pillows and blankets that the airline gives you once you get on board.

for-sure
07-31-2005, 12:59 AM
That seems like a very recent policy change and it can't be going over very well. If that had been me, I might have asked for a supervisor and asked to see the policy in writing (as politely as I could). If this is happening to the players, they cannot be happy about it AT ALL. Rackets are no more a weapon than the pillows and blankets that the airline gives you once you get on board.

I would say that the plastic knife and fork you get with your meal on board is a notch above the pillow and blanket in terms of the amount of fear they inspire in the victim.

lau
07-31-2005, 01:08 AM
I'd be petrified if someone waved a tennis racquet at me. I can see my life flash before my eyes just by the thought of it.
:lol:

CivicLx
07-31-2005, 01:19 AM
that sucks but I doubt they did it to piss you off...not saying that you thought they were...but with all the stuff that's been going on lately, I wouldn't mind a little inconvenience in exchange for trying to make things safer...how many people have ever hijacked a plane with a tennis racquet? zero...will anyone ever try to hijack a plane with a tennis racquet? probably not...can you kill someone with a tennis racquet? yes...would people have thought that some terrorists would hijack a plane with box cutters? probably not...so yeah it can be a hassle, but if it's for the right reason...safety...then I think it's worth it.

alelysafina
07-31-2005, 01:23 AM
how can you kill someone with a tennis racket? Bruise them, yes but kill? I dont think so.

Fee
07-31-2005, 01:27 AM
many people who have watched me play have nearly died laughing, but that doesn't work in the confines of an airplane.

alfonsojose
07-31-2005, 01:49 AM
And yet they allow ppl to go onboard with duty-free glass wine and liquor bottles.. :rolleyes: Crazy isn't it?
:lol: In my Bogota/Madrid fligth going to Wimby they gave me metalic forks and knifes for dinner. I was :eek: what kind of security is this :retard: ?

alfonsojose
07-31-2005, 01:54 AM
how can you kill someone with a tennis racket? Bruise them, yes but kill? I dont think so.
If you place yourself int front of Gonzo's raquect and ask him to hit a forehand, that's not going to be a bruise :scared: I mean, you don't even have to take a full swing and use it the conventional way. Tons of objects are allowed in airplanes when they shouldn't :shrug: :smash: Even a pen can be dangerous.

Nimi
07-31-2005, 03:50 AM
A strike with the frame of the racket straight to the head certainly can be harmful. This is actually quite logical.

buddyholly
07-31-2005, 04:13 AM
And they can take away your virginity, as alfonsojose has pointed out happened to the young Sharapova. So yes, they can be weapons of lass destruction.

buddyholly
07-31-2005, 04:16 AM
:lol: In my Bogota/Madrid fligth going to Wimby they gave me metalic forks and knifes for dinner. I was :eek: what kind of security is this :retard: ?

They serve dinner on flights out of Bogota?????? I thought everyone already had full stomachs when they boarded.

undomiele
07-31-2005, 04:22 AM
Once I was flying from BA to Washington DC with two extra-large bottles of beer in my backpack and a US security guy asked me to open it after X-raying them. I was like "oh shit" (totally didn't think about how dangerous they could be) and once he saw them he was like "oh thats so cool. I just wanted to see if beer actually came in that size" and let me go. :rolleyes:

That incident made me realise that anyone could totally smash a duty free bottle on a flight and kill someone with what remains of the bottle :eek: :eek: screw box cutters!

Another time I was flying back to BA through DC, Miami, Panama, Brazil and then BA. I was carrying some big scissors in my backpack (I had completely forgotten that I had them) and nobody actually stopped me until I got to Rio of all places. :o Terrorist capital of the world. :rolleyes: This happened late last year. The world's gone mad.

warmy
07-31-2005, 05:39 AM
Rackets are no more a weapon than the pillows and blankets that the airline gives you once you get on board.

I love ya Fee, but that is not a good comparison.
My mom works for United and trust me when I say that the pillows and blankets provided by the airlines are to be feared! :scared: Biological WMD are much more dangerous than an instrument for bludgeoning.

NYCtennisfan
07-31-2005, 05:53 AM
I once got caned in the back with a tennis racket, and its a fairly good weapon. The fist however is a greater strength, as I then showed in counter-attack.

LOL!

ae wowww
07-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Yeah you're all right-there's always going to be something that can be used to harm somebody.. I made sure they let me take them on board, because I knew being in the hold would not be good for them.

alfonsojose
07-31-2005, 02:03 PM
They serve dinner on flights out of Bogota?????? I thought everyone already had full stomachs when they boarded.
:ras: The dinner is the test. If u don't eat it .. MULA !!!

alfonsojose
07-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Another time I was flying back to BA through DC, Miami, Panama, Brazil and then BA. I was carrying some big scissors in my backpack (I had completely forgotten that I had them) and nobody actually stopped me until I got to Rio of all places. :o Terrorist capital of the world. :rolleyes: This happened late last year. The world's gone mad.
:lol: :hug:

nermo
07-31-2005, 05:23 PM
If you place yourself int front of Gonzo's raquect and ask him to hit a forehand, that's not going to be a bruise. posted by alfonsojose

:) Thank GOD , no tennis player has turned into a terrorist (up till now),

and about preventing raquets on planes , i don't think terrorists 'll try to kill using raquets, these are expensive and less effective (i think) than other things that would be more violent and less for paying other's attention.but again ,after all the mess around, nothing is guranteed any more..

SwissMister1
07-31-2005, 06:33 PM
I took a racquet bag with a couple of racquets inside on a flight from Philadelphia to Cancun in December. As it turns out, the place we stayed at didn't have tennis courts like they advertised :fiery: so I brought the extra bag for nothing! I definitely would not have wanted to stow the racquets away, very easy for strings to break or the frame to bend or something.

its.like.that
07-31-2005, 06:35 PM
I have recently travelled to Asia, Europe, and domestically within Australia...

never had any problems with taking my whole bag of racquets on board - but i always asked at the service desk beforehand.

Geniey2g
07-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Why not just pack it in your suitcase? :scratch:

njnetswill
08-01-2005, 04:02 AM
Just last summer I ws allowed to take my raquet with me onto the plane. Maybe they didn't see me as a potential criminal.

YoursTruly
08-01-2005, 04:09 AM
They're just jealous because you're going on a trip and will be playing tennis