Malisse & other favourite frustrating players outside the top 30 ( no former top 10s) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Malisse & other favourite frustrating players outside the top 30 ( no former top 10s)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes, I'd thought and try something different and talk about a player who doesn't get noticed very much. Also what are other posters favourite players, no matter how frustrating they are. It's easy to follow winners, but not as fun :)

Well I have a soft spot for Jose Acasuso and it's a bit disappointing to see him not performing to what he is capable of. I mean I don't expect 50 or 60 undefeated clay wins or huge hardcourt titles.

He has a good serve, good groundstrokes and made the Buenos Aires final losing to Guga very early in his career. He had a good breakthrough at RG this year,and is ranked in the top 50, but has gone backwards since then and not forwards.

It seems he can only be consistent in Sopot or against Mathieu. I mean Chucho always looks stoned when he is on court, even when he is winning.

Then again Gaudio the ultimate frustrating player to me is like following a non-successful football team, plenty of years doing that, no matter what happens you're still there and support them and wait for that eventual brilliant moment.

1sun
07-30-2005, 07:56 PM
mario ancic is another frustrating player. his not even in the top 20 but he has so much talent and is a great player, i really thought by now he wld be top 10 or on the fringe of top 10.

roisin
07-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Igor Andreev is a total headwrecker.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 07:58 PM

Why? I agree with it for sure.

1sun
07-30-2005, 07:58 PM
yeh definatley

roisin
07-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Why? I agree with it for sure.
He's a talented guy, he can do well one week and bomb out in the next 5 1st rounds.

DanEd
07-30-2005, 08:02 PM
He can be consistent against Andreev Too ;)
He always plays well in Buenos Aires,Costa do Sauipe,Sopot,Bucarest And Palermo :lol: :haha:
[QUOTE=GeorgeWHitler]It seems he can only be consistent in Sopot or against MathieuQUOTE]

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Pippo Volandri, all backhand and no serve, a man destined never to be as good as he could be even on clay, let alone other surfaces. He has some great groundstrokes and solid defence, his match against Nalbandian in Rome last year was just about the best of the tournament, but without a decent delivery he can get outhit by baseliners who are more consistent off the ground.

Pavel, a veteran whose results I started to follow too late in his career, but when a commentator suggested during last year's claycourt season that he was on his way to the Top 10 I really believed it was possible. Yes, he was Federer's whipping boy, but he also had good showings at a lot of big events and lost tough matches to good players, e.g. to Coria in Monte Carlo. Since then it's been all downhill, with more injuries and an inability to string wins together where it counts most.

Florian Mayer. I can hardly believe he's down to 96 (!) in the world, when he was carving up big-hitting opponents with his clever slice and dice plays at Wimbledon last year. The only man I've seen attempt a jumped backhand dropshot return, and he was giving Agassi fits at the US Open for a set before he had to retire.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:06 PM
He can be consistent against Andreev Too ;)
He always plays well in Buenos Aires,Costa do Sauipe,Sopot,Bucarest And Palermo :lol: :haha:

Sopot and Palermo they are his spots. He should be doing a lot better, he lost to Feli Lopez on clay, at least it wasn't Srichaphan.

He had his moment in Buenos Aires, but he only performs in the optional clay events when he decides to have 1 good week and 10 bad ones.

roisin
07-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Florian Mayer. I can hardly believe he's down to 96 (!) in the world, when he was carving up big-hitting opponents with his clever slice and dice plays at Wimbledon last year. The only man I've seen attempt a jumped backhand dropshot return, and he was giving Agassi fits at the US Open for a set before he had to retire.
Mayer has gone that low??? :eek:

revolution
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
British tennis is such a laughing stock that Volandri's only grass success was provided by one of our own. He even nearly beat Ivanisevic afterwards!

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Acasuso looked very strong on the defence in that final set against Roddick, hitting the most amazing passing winners off both the forehand and the backhand when stretched out wide - not exactly the lousy brainless dirtballer that geniuses like Fumus tried to paint him as beforehand. But then he went and played Puerta in the next round, Eurosport briefly went over to the match to show the last couple of games of the first set where he was broken and lost it 6-4, and then they went back little more than an hour later and he'd been wiped out 4, 1 and 1. Consistency and stamina against determined opponents is something of a problem for him.

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Mayer has gone that low??? :eek:

Yep, I see on the ATP website he's dropped 13 spots - must be the loss of QF points from Kitzbuhel last year, combined with the points he lost at Wimbledon this year.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Acasuso looked very strong on the defence in that final set against Roddick, hitting the most amazing passing winners off both the forehand and the backhand when stretched out wide - not exactly the lousy brainless dirtballer that geniuses like Fumus tried to paint him as beforehand. But then he went and played Puerta in the next round, Eurosport briefly went over to the match to show the last couple of games of the first set where he was broken and lost it 6-4, and then they went back little more than an hour later and he'd been wiped out 4, 1 and 1. Consistency and stamina against determined opponents is something of a problem for him.

Acasuso played very well in those last 3 sets against Roddick and even with the break down, he seemed to have everything in his keep and was hitting very good backhands and that genius Gilbert said he had a weak serve, which is far from the case.

He seems to lack some confidence as well and I remember when he was playing against Gonzo at the AO this year, he was hitting some very good strokes and was patient and it took a sneaky timeout by Gonzo to change momentum.

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:17 PM
I couldn't believe it when I heard about his weak serve, it was accepted as fact by a lot of the Roddick fans and I just thought back to that match with Federer at the US Open in 2003, where he was hitting first serves regularly over 125mph for the first couple of sets. And he outaced Roddick something like 25-18 in the end, didn't he?

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Pippo Volandri, all backhand and no serve, a man destined never to be as good as he could be even on clay, let alone other surfaces. He has some great groundstrokes and solid defence, his match against Nalbandian in Rome last year was just about the best of the tournament, but without a decent delivery he can get outhit by baseliners who are more consistent off the ground.

Volandri and Cañas have had some very good battles as well and considering he does have the worst serve on tour, it's like he should just spend the off season just hitting serves, he has a class backhand, but elsewhere he gets exposed.

Pavel, a veteran whose results I started to follow too late in his career, but when a commentator suggested during last year's claycourt season that he was on his way to the Top 10 I really believed it was possible. Yes, he was Federer's whipping boy, but he also had good showings at a lot of big events and lost tough matches to good players, e.g. to Coria in Monte Carlo. Since then it's been all downhill, with more injuries and an inability to string wins together where it counts most.

He had a lot of injuries, but at the same time at 04 RG he blew it big time against Youzhny and the Fed matches, he wasn't that bad, just outclassed. He has good volleys, good backhand and serves quite well and can do well on most surfaces, but that loss against Reynolds at the AO was hideous.

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:21 PM
That AO loss is exactly the kind of thing I mean - you see the draw and expect him to go a couple of rounds further than he actually does, and he ends up having these pulverising defeats. I was actually hoping for a 4th round meeting with Hewitt, although with Nadal's emergence that may have been unrealistic.

The rot definitely set in with the RG defeat to Youzhny, and before that to Ljubicic at Hamburg where he led by a break in the final set. After that I swear he didn't win back to back matches for the rest of the season outside the US Open, and the defeat to Arthurs in Cincy made me rub my eyes in disbelief when I first saw the result.

gooner88
07-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Volandri in my opinion.
He has such a beautiful game; that one-hander is a work of art.
People regularly take the mick out of Nalbo's serve, but Volandri's serve is even worse.
With a half-decent serve who knows how much higher he could be.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Agustin Calleri there is another one to the list. Yes, he had problems starting out and was late on tour and worked in his parents shop, so he could get some money to go on tour initially.

I remember watching him when he qualified for RG 2000, where he took out Mantilla (where I noticed him first), Hrbaty, then lost a tough 4 setter against Medvedev, then he beat Safin later that year in Kitz.

The guy made Ferrero look like a muppet in Malaga in the Davis Cup when Ferrero was RG champ, the backhand is one of the most powerful shots in the game, he can play at the net and serves well, but sometimes the brain is on strike tactically.

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:28 PM
The serving weakness on both sides was probably what made that Rome encounter such a great match, although I found it funny when the Italian crowd started to chant intimidatingly, "Filippo, Filippo" as Nalbandian was about to serve at 5-4 in the first set TB, and he promptly knocked an ace down the middle to get to setpoint. Volandri could certainly have made the second week of RG by now with a good serve, and maybe won a big clay title too.

I see Nalbandian's name was mentioned at last, if he was outside the Top 30 he would win this contest by a mile.

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Agustin Calleri there is another one to the list. Yes, he had problems starting out and was late on tour and worked in his parents shop, so he could get some money to go on tour initially.

I remember watching him when he qualified for RG 2000, where he took out Mantilla (where I noticed him first), Hrbaty, then lost a tough 4 setter against Medvedev, then he beat Safin later that year in Kitz.

The guy made Ferrero look like a muppet in Malaga in the Davis Cup when Ferrero was RG champ, the backhand is one of the most powerful shots in the game, he can play at the net and serves well, but sometimes the brain is on strike tactically.

I didn't notice him at all until late in 2002 when he had that great run in Madrid knocking out both Safin and Johansson. He was a remarkably late starter, and with his style of play he has big problems in the Grand Slams. Isn't that RG result in 2000 the only time he's ever made the third round of a major?

I wish I'd seen all of the match with Agassi in Miami last year, I only got back in time to see the latter blow umpteen chances to win the second set and then double fault the TB away. Watching Calleri hit 30 clean winners in one set against Agassi on what is practically his home court must have been quite an experience.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:33 PM
I couldn't believe it when I heard about his weak serve, it was accepted as fact by a lot of the Roddick fans and I just thought back to that match with Federer at the US Open in 2003, where he was hitting first serves regularly over 125mph for the first couple of sets. And he outaced Roddick something like 25-18 in the end, didn't he?

When I heard that I was in stiches and thought maybe Gilbert was thinking about someone else and had not seen him play before. He has a very good action on his serve and is a big guy, though he is pretty bad around the net, that is how Gonzo beat him at AO, but Chucho was playing some good tennis and yes he outaced Roddick clearly.

sigmagirl91
07-30-2005, 08:35 PM
After today's match, clearly Verdasco has to be the new headcase on the block. I'm still shaking my head.
From the looks of it, the guy has solid groundstrokes and a good serve, but where the hell is his head?

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:37 PM
I didn't notice him at all until late in 2002 when he had that great run in Madrid knocking out both Safin and Johansson. He was a remarkably late starter, and with his style of play he has big problems in the Grand Slams. Isn't that RG result in 2000 the only time he's ever made the third round of a major?

It was by chance that I found Calleri, but I didn't forget him and he was a bit of a porky then hence the name El Gordo. I remember that performance in Madrid against Safin and he didn't take it very well.

Well in 04 AO he served for the match against Cañas in the 4th set and played such a crazy game, and he went for these off backhands 2m behind the baseline and almost missed the doubles alley.

Then the brain explosion against ToJo this year, that was painful. Loses a break in the 5th set, gets it back to 6 all, then decides to serve a game of 4 double faults in a row.

I wish I'd seen all of the match with Agassi in Miami last year, I only got back in time to see the latter blow umpteen chances to win the second set and then double fault the TB away. Watching Calleri hit 30 clean winners in one set against Agassi on what is practically his home court must have been quite an experience.

Agassi was just stunned and had no clue what was going on at all. The funny thing is that Calleri only served 40 % of 1st serves for the whole match.

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Solid is not really in Verdasco's repertoire, he hits the hell out of both forehand and backhand and goes for a lot on his second serve (which is ironically what saved him, just, against Roddick in Rome this year). People say his forehand is right up there with Gonzalez's, well, his backhand has to be the hardest on the tour.

DanEd
07-30-2005, 08:39 PM
He is the argentine with the best serve. he has the fastest serve too

sigmagirl91
07-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Solid is not really in Verdasco's repertoire, he hits the hell out of both forehand and backhand and goes for a lot on his second serve (which is ironically what saved him, just, against Roddick in Rome this year). People say his forehand is right up there with Gonzalez's, well, his backhand has to be the hardest on the tour.

OK. I thought that much-having not actually seen Verd play. It's just...the seven or eight match points that he had today-on his own serve, no less-that astounded me. You'd think, with the groundies and a serve going for him, that he'd be more consistent. Alas...there has to be a chink in the armor.

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Well in 04 AO he served for the match against Cañas in the 4th set and played such a crazy game, and he went for these off backhands 2m behind the baseline and almost missed the doubles alley.

True, but hey, didn't they all choke against Canas in that particular AO? :p

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:42 PM
This thread really needs deivid at the moment. Verdasco well he has some brain explosions on court. He has a great forehand that is hard to pick and hit very hard and with a lot of spin and when he decides to move his feet it makes it even better.

Nando does have a good serve, and can use it well. That Roddick match was an interesting one in that at times he was too passive, then too aggressive and would miss shots by metres.

Thanks to Gonzo for playing well for he'd be in this one for sure.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:43 PM
True, but hey, didn't they all choke against Canas in that particular AO? :p

Well, the Calleri and Henman were different for so many reasons. :)

sigmagirl91
07-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks to Gonzo for playing well for he'd be in this one for sure.

I'll always perceive him as a headcase, no matter where he's ranked.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:48 PM
I'd include Marc Rosset for old times sake. This guy won titles on all surfaces and I remember when he diced Courier when he was # 1 on clay for the loss of 7 games and it wasn't just power, he frustrated him with junk slice, a few moonballs, sneaking in , plus serve/volleying as well and Courier had no clue what was going on.

Choupi
07-30-2005, 08:50 PM
People regularly take the mick out of Nalbo's serve, but Volandri's serve is even worse.

I agree. Absolutely desperating! Still today, against Coria, he managed an ace...which has been applauded so much, comical! Even the commentators, among which a former player, have laughed at him, giggling when they have said that it could be interesting to know the stats concerning the number of aces in an entire year...compared to how many Roddick or Pimpim could shoot in 1 match! :)

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:54 PM
I agree. Absolutely desperating! Still today, against Coria, he managed an ace...which has been applauded so much, comical! Even the commentators, among which a former player, have laughed at him, giggling when they have said that it could be interesting to know the stats concerning the number of aces in an entire year...compared to how many Roddick or Pimpim could shoot in 1 match! :)

Yes, when he serves an ace it's as often as the Olympic Games.

JMG
07-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Daniel Elsner is a very frustrating player for me.

Last year for example he defeated Karol Beck 6-2 6-0 just to lose 3-6 0-6 against Garcia the following day. Then he won 5-7 6-1 6-1 against Horna in Braunschweig and lost the week after 1-6 1-6 against Kratochvil. This year he has obviously only bad moments.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Jarkko Nieminen is another one who deserves a mention, he should have won a title before now, especially when a gimp like Burgsmuller has won a title. Nieminen has a very good forehand and his backhand is not bad at all, that 2nd serve is slow, but he is good to watch and can play well on clay and indoors, but has a shocking record in finals and seems to be in too many 5 setters.

Labamba
07-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Jarkko Nieminen is another one who deserves a mention, he should have won a title before now, especially when a gimp like Burgsmuller has won a title. Nieminen has a very good forehand and his backhand is not bad at all, that 2nd serve is slow, but he is good to watch and can play well on clay and indoors, but has a shocking record in finals and seems to be in too many 5 setters.

It's true that Jarkko's record in finals (0-4) looks really bad in paper, but it should be noted that he didn't lose those finals to bad players and he was a clear underdog in each of those matches. These are his finals:

2001 Stockholm Open (IH) lost to Schalken 6-3 3-6 3-6 6-4 3-6 (This was Jarkkos breakthrough tourney, he went to the final as a qualifier and was up a break in the 5th set. Tiredness and lack of experience cost him the victory in the end.)
2002 Estoril (CL) lost to Nalbandian 4-6 6-7
2002 Mallorca (CL) lost to Gaudio 2-6 3-6
2003 Munich (CL) lost to Federer 1-6 4-6

Jarkko doesn't have many weaknesses in his game, but I think his biggest problem is that he doesn't have any really big weapons to bring down those top players consistently. He's like good in almost everything, but not brilliant in anything. As a fan it's a little bit sad to realize this, but it's the truth and I still enjoy supporting and watching him play very much. Jarkko is very consistent and determined, so I'm quite sure he will win a title in the next year or two. And he can play well on outdoor hardcourts too, though he seems to prefer clay tournaments these days.

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Yes, he's had bad luck with his opponents in finals. The Schalken match was definitely his big chance, Schalken isn't in the same league as the others and he was very close to winning leading 3-0 with a double break in the final set. The way Schalken came back and reeled off six games in a row to take the title when he looked completely out of it was what made me a fan in the first place.

Leo
07-30-2005, 10:56 PM
I've also liked Acasuso for several years but he's so frustrating with his results, definitely an underachiever.

JMG
07-30-2005, 11:02 PM
I found it funny when Burgsmüller said something like "My plan was to attack Nieminen on his forehand, because his backhand is his best weapon by far". Jarkko can hit beautiful and powerful winners with his backhand, but I find his forehand even a bit better and more consistent. He just has to work hard on his serve. I don't like to see so often the stats with Jarkko having 0 aces. :rolleyes: A better serve would guarantee him maybe 1000 points more.

Actually I think clay and hardcourt are his surfaces. On indoors he has probably a lousy record since his breakthrough.

Merton
07-31-2005, 01:50 AM
Tomas Berdych has a very interesting game. His forehand is a thing of beauty and he moves very well for his size. I became a fan during the Olympics. Yes, Roger made too many errors but it also had to do with the fact that Tomas made him hit out of his comfort zone.

I expected more during the first part of the year, but i guess we have to be patient. The coming hard court season is huge and it will be interesting to see how it will go, since he defends a lot of points from now until Palermo.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 04:36 AM
Tomas Berdych has a very interesting game. His forehand is a thing of beauty and he moves very well for his size. I became a fan during the Olympics. Yes, Roger made too many errors but it also had to do with the fact that Tomas made him hit out of his comfort zone.

I expected more during the first part of the year, but i guess we have to be patient. The coming hard court season is huge and it will be interesting to see how it will go, since he defends a lot of points from now until Palermo.

It's too early to include Berdych, but I can see a potential inclusion in the future. I think next year he will do well, and will grow into his game a bit more and yes for a tall guy, he is very well balanced.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 04:40 AM
Jarkko doesn't have many weaknesses in his game, but I think his biggest problem is that he doesn't have any really big weapons to bring down those top players consistently. He's like good in almost everything, but not brilliant in anything. As a fan it's a little bit sad to realize this, but it's the truth and I still enjoy supporting and watching him play very much. Jarkko is very consistent and determined, so I'm quite sure he will win a title in the next year or two. And he can play well on outdoor hardcourts too, though he seems to prefer clay tournaments these days.

I like the Shark and with the finals, his best chance was against Schalken in Stockholm, but losing to Gaudio, Nalbandian and Federer these three are in a different class.

His forehand is probably his best shot in terms of weapons, but I just hope no more injuries and that he can win a title in the future.

Leo
07-31-2005, 04:42 AM
Tomas Berdych has a very interesting game. His forehand is a thing of beauty and he moves very well for his size.

Yes, Czechs and Slovaks always seem to move so smooth (i.e. Kucera, Novak, Hantuchova, Berdych).

tennis4eva
07-31-2005, 04:45 AM
:o Philippoussis. I don't think anything else has to be said. Just saying his name frustrates me these days!

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 04:47 AM
Yes, Czechs and Slovaks always seem to move so smooth (i.e. Kucera, Novak, Hantuchova, Berdych).

Don't forget the greatest of them all. Mecir.

DanEd
07-31-2005, 04:52 AM
Juan Ignacio Chela and Juan Monaco :smash:

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 05:23 AM
I've also liked Acasuso for several years but he's so frustrating with his results, definitely an underachiever.

Good to see a man with taste and even better than you don't give up on the guy. He seems to not have that much self-belief.

Choupi
07-31-2005, 07:54 AM
A name that came to my mind...not that I am a fan especially but...Arnaud Clément. It's so frustrating to see him play like he does in DC associated to Mika and not really being able to use his doubles talents in singles when needed! I think it's a desperate case...Add to this the lack of luck in the draws and all you need to look for is handkerchieves!

Peta Pan
07-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Andrei Pavel for all the reasons already mentioned. I think Sjengster pretty much summed up all I had to say and more. I actually get frustrated talking about it so I'll stop now.

From my list of favourites the other main one is Jerome Golmard. Coming to the end of his career now, but at one stage got into the top 30 only for injuries to pretty much ruin his career. I do adore him but his mental attitude in some matches has left me frustrated too.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 08:41 AM
From my list of favourites the other main one is Jerome Golmard. Coming to the end of his career now, but at one stage got into the top 30 only for injuries to pretty much ruin his career. I do adore him but his mental attitude in some matches has left me frustrated too.

True, Golmard had quite a lot of talent and played very some attacking tennis and I remember he had that big tournament win in Dubai, but he could never get fit for a long period of time and was always defaulting matches.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Surprised that Mr Xavier Malisse hasn't been mentioned. It was a crime that he took so long to win his 1st title with the natural talent he has and the ball striking ability, great hands as well, well balanced and graceful movement, but what goes on inside the head is a mystery.

silverwhite
07-31-2005, 01:32 PM
PHM, and I don't even have to explain why. :o

trulliscorpion
07-31-2005, 01:45 PM

You're right, you just don't. :o

"The man that never loses matches before wasting 5 MPs."

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 01:54 PM

Are you sure?

silverwhite
07-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Are you sure?

Which part are you asking if I'm sure about - the PHM part or the explanation part?

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 02:14 PM
Which part are you asking if I'm sure about - the PHM part or the explanation part?

I mean I can see why Mathieu would be, but since we have all given reasons, you should as well, it makes good reading. :)

Deivid23
07-31-2005, 02:16 PM
(Maybe many people will think I´m biased, but I will be 100% objective)

Verdasco hands down for me.

He´s not a classical "top-10-material-if-consistent" player. With such a weapons he has, he "only" would need a better attitude, better footwork (that would do better if he were not as lazy :o), another character... well a lot of things I guess :) , to be one of the best players in the world, but concerning talent and weapons he´s the best sub21 player around for my taste (and yes, that includes Nadal, who some of u know he´s my biggest weakness after all cause tennis is not all about talent and weapons).

For those who still don´t know him well, he has as terrific forehand as u can imagine. He can hit it as hard (or even harder) as González, and he has a great ability to change directions with unbelievable ease, though Federer´s one is probably the best on tour considering all aspects (Verdasco can´t get his great short angles, for instance).

Imo (and I know many other people agree) he has the best serve in Spain. LaLo´s one is great and a bit faster, but Verdasco has such a great variety LaLo won´t ever match it even in his wetter dreams. He has a great kick serve, a killer flat one up the T, and the classical open lefty serve and he does move it around pretty well. A joy to watch specially when he´s on.

His backhand is his weakest shot but it´s not bad specially when he doesn´t arrive late and does the proper footwork to prepare the shot. When he does, that backhand is also a nice weapon cause he gives a lot of pace to it, mainly cross-court. He also needs to improve his game at net, but I´d say all this will all get much better if he works on timing and footwork.

The worst thing is that he has a big mentality problem. He has cracked the top 50 without breaking out a sweat bc of his talent, but he will need to work hard if he ever wants to become a top player. He´s lazy on court, he misses a lot of balls bc arriving late, sometimes his attitude is horrendous and you´ll always get some games in his matches where he loses his service game just by stupid errors.

Anyway there´s light at the end of the tunnel as he´s starting to realize that it´s good enough for him if he doesn´t try to break the ball bc his fh working at half its power is enough to dominate his rivals and his talent is just too big even for his brain&attitude, so let´s hope he achieve great things and not keep being the underachiever he´s nowadays.

Edit: Add that he has a weak tactical sense of the game, he needs badly a coach that can get into him, handle his temper and make him start thinking more, sadly I don´t think that will happen bc of his father, but that´s a thing that can´t be changed :o

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 02:20 PM
I am enjoying reading all of the contributions from everyone and Verdasco, that is the thing I expect some good hardcourt results from him and he has the capability of blowing people off the court, but losing just as badly.

The old hit it harder if it doesn't work philosphy is something the Poo nearly always did, but Verdasco does some talent, though hopefully he can get the tactical side sorted out.

Deivid23
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
I am enjoying reading all of the contributions from everyone and Verdasco, that is the thing I expect some good hardcourt results from him and he has the capability of blowing people off the court, but losing just as badly.

The old hit it harder if it doesn't work philosphy is something the Poo nearly always did, but Verdasco does some talent, though hopefully he can get the tactical side sorted out.

I´ve seen matches where Verdasco looked like he knew to do nothing (not serving well, even some matches with 0-2 aces, returning badly, or missing all his bh´s) and others firing more than 20 aces, killing rivals with his cc bh or returning like an animal, too unpredictable. But maybe that´s one of the reasons why he´s one of my favourite players :shrug:

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 02:31 PM
I´ve seen matches where Verdasco looked like he knew to do nothing (not serving well, even some matches with 0-2 aces, returning badly, or missing all his bh´s) and others firing more than 20 aces, killing rivals with his cc bh or returning like an animal, too unpredictable. But maybe that´s one of the reasons why he´s one of my favourite players :shrug:

I mean I like Chucho and Calleri and you see what I wrote about them, yes it's the unpredictability or something that can't be explained that grabs the attention.

Deivid23
07-31-2005, 02:35 PM
I mean I like Chucho and Calleri and you see what I wrote about them, yes it's the unpredictability or something that can't be explained that grabs the attention.

I also edited in former post a paragraph of another thing he will need to do asap, but his father is a bit tacaño (I don´t know the English word) concerning money.... :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 02:38 PM
I also edited in former post a paragraph of another thing he will need to do asap, but his father is a bit tacaño (I don´t know the English word) concerning money.... :rolleyes:

Does this mean he is a bit tight with money? Also Nando should improve the dtl backhand, he has the ability to hit that shot well.

Deivid23
07-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Does this mean he is a bit tight with money? Also Nando should improve the dtl backhand, he has the ability to hit that shot well.

Yes, that´s it. I have some funny stories about this, don´t know if I´ve ever told u in PM.

About that bh dtl, yes, he should improve it, but he can hit it clean when he has enough time to prepare the shot, just need to work on it and move better.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes, that´s it. I have some funny stories about this, don´t know if I´ve ever told u in PM.

About that bh dtl, yes, he should improve it, but he can hit it clean when he has enough time to prepare the shot, just need to work on it and move better.

My Spanish isn't so bad then :) . Some funny stories would always be appreciated.

Looks like he needs extra footwork drills to sharpen the skills up.

What do you think about of some of the other names mentioned in here. You can understand why Calleri can frustrate people?

silverwhite
07-31-2005, 02:53 PM
I mean I can see why Mathieu would be, but since we have all given reasons, you should as well, it makes good reading. :)

Paulo's whole career has been about 2 things: injuries and the C word. He's your typical French player I guess, talented (yes I know it's debatable, GWH) but mentally unsound. Think the male Mauresmo.

What can be more frustrating to watch than seeing a player trounce his opponents for two sets and a half before losing the plot? :o Had he won against Agassi at RG 2002 or against Youzhny in the 2002 Davis Cup final, he would probably be having a totally different career today.

He has an inconsistently good serve, a big FH and a solid BH and moves well, especially on clay. When he gets tense though, either his shots land out/in the net (see RG 2005 3rd round), or he hits them so short that they get punished everytime (see Davis Cup 2005 France vs Russia deciding rubber). He really should have made the QFs of RG in 2002 and 2005, but we all know what happened...

When he's relaxed and pumped up, he plays aggressive attacking tennis, which I personally really enjoy (although quite a few don't). He hits the ball hard and deep consistently when he's on, which is great to watch. He still has yet to overcome his demons, but us Paulo fans are hopeful that he's on the mend. He could have self-destructed against Tojo this year in Davis Cup or against LaLo at RG after losing third sets in which he was leading, but he managed to finish off both matches.

It's definitely most frustrating to follow a player who keeps you worried even at MP but somehow, we never lose faith. :lol:

Deivid23
07-31-2005, 02:55 PM

You don´t like one-handed bh´s do u? :)

About that shot from Mayer, I´d swear I´ve also seen Gasquet doing that.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks for that silverwhite, it was worth reading and I remember the Agassi match and I was shocked for a year about how he lost that match at RG, he was making the old man look old and then bingo he fell to pieces.

DC 2002, the strange thing about that match was that even when PMH was running over Youzhny. I still thought the Russian would win, but that's a good point, he either hits them out by metres or the other way.

Deivid23
07-31-2005, 03:01 PM

True, I still remember that match against JCF and was just unbelievable tennis. One of the best performances I´ve ever witnessed.

Calleri does have huge weapons but he´s inconsistent so yes I can see why people who follow him can get frustrated at him

silverwhite
07-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for that silverwhite, it was worth reading and I remember the Agassi match and I was shocked for a year about how he lost that match at RG, he was making the old man look old and then bingo he fell to pieces.

DC 2002, the strange thing about that match was that even when PMH was running over Youzhny. I still thought the Russian would win, but that's a good point, he either hits them out by metres or the other way.

He keeps saying that he tries to keep up the aggression on MP instead of falling back, which could explain the shots "out by metres". I reckon he might be able to close out more matches if he stopped thinking so much.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 03:03 PM
True, I still remember that match against JCF and was just unbelievable tennis. One of the best performances I´ve ever witnessed.

Calleri does have huge weapons but he´s inconsistent so yes I can see why people who follow him can get frustrated at him

The famous match at the AO this year when he lost to ToJo, and serving 4 dfs in a row in the 5th set, lets say I was very happy I didn't put money on that match.

He doesn't need to murder the ball every time he's playing.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 03:05 PM
He keeps saying that he tries to keep up the aggression on MP instead of falling back, which could explain the shots "out by metres". I reckon he might be able to close out more matches if he stopped thinking so much.

Then he gets too tentative at times and the other thing happens which was discussed earlier, can't win either way.

silverwhite
07-31-2005, 03:08 PM
About Verdasco, I think I watched one of his matches last year. I think it was TMS Madrid. I rather enjoyed watching him play but thought he was a little too reckless. Glad he's finally breaking through. :)

silverwhite
07-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Then he gets too tentative at times and the other thing happens which was discussed earlier, can't win either way.

Which is why I think he needs to just shut down his brain on MP and just play. The more he thinks, the worse it gets.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Luis Horna another guy who does his best not to take it to the next level. He has improved his serve and hits it well and has a big forehand and his backhand isn't too bad now and has some good feel around the net.

He has had some big wins, but doesn't go on with it. Example he handles Federer with ease at RG 03 and plays Verkerk in the next round and has him match point and loses. This year the draw opened up for him after giving Henman a lesson and then loses to Hanescu.

Horna has some ability and has tried to improve his play on hardcourts, but he can't get consistent and kept losing in the semis last year.

Sjengster
07-31-2005, 03:21 PM
You don´t like one-handed bh´s do u? :)

About that shot from Mayer, I´d swear I´ve also seen Gasquet doing that.

Without the one-hander, I'm not sure there's much in Schalken's game that I would enjoy, from an aesthetic point of view anyway. ;)

Yes, now I remember Gasquet hit a couple of those in Hamburg and everything he touched turned to gold en route to the final.

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Mayer is the still the originator of that shot.

*Ljubica*
07-31-2005, 06:33 PM
When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of that lovely man in my signature Agustin Calleri - only to see that several other posters have beaten me to it and already mentioned him! True he has been dogged by injury recently, but even before then, he was the kind of player who would throw in one amazing performance (Malaga against JCF for example), and then play worse than even I could! He has the power and all the shots - but absolutely no tennis brain! :devil: And - yes - believe me he IS very frustrating to follow.

I would also mention Max Mirnyi in this thread - yes he has done amazinlgy well in doubles, but despite his height and power and huge serve he has only ever won one ATP singles title. He always seems to get close to the big names in big matches but never quite delivers what he promises. Also - he is another with no tactical brain at all and certainly no Plan B - I am not a fan of his but imagine it must be very frustrating to be one!

Papakori
07-31-2005, 08:25 PM
I agree with Mirnyi.

I also think Tomas Zib is frustrating. He can win some good matches against some good players then loses to players he should win, which is a case for lots of players too.

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 06:43 AM
I would also mention Max Mirnyi in this thread - yes he has done amazinlgy well in doubles, but despite his height and power and huge serve he has only ever won one ATP singles title. He always seems to get close to the big names in big matches but never quite delivers what he promises. Also - he is another with no tactical brain at all and certainly no Plan B - I am not a fan of his but imagine it must be very frustrating to be one!

A very accurate portrayl of Mirnyi and he generally doesn't do well in Slams.

Action Jackson
08-02-2005, 08:13 AM
See Chucho finally wins a match and of course it's in Sopot.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 05:14 AM
Horna has won 2 matches in a row for the 1st time in a while, he'll probably blow this chance though.

jole
08-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Horna has won 2 matches in a row for the 1st time in a while, he'll probably blow this chance though.

He defeated a player who has been frustrating to me lately.

I'm happy for the Peruvian though overall.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 05:18 AM
He defeated a player who has been frustrating to me lately.

I'm happy for the Peruvian though overall.

Yes, Hrbaty can be like that, too bad he was always plays well against Gaudio.

Hrbaty is frustrating the guy grows 10 legs when he plays Slovakia, but just cause of you I'll allow it in this thread.

Maybe we could turn this into a frustrating cheering thread.

Did you like my summary of Horna previously?

NYCtennisfan
08-04-2005, 05:20 AM
I really didn't think Horna was going to be winning 2 matches in a row again especially on hardcourts unless he got some really shabby opponents. Three in a row would be amazing to me at this point.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 05:24 AM
I really didn't think Horna was going to be winning 2 matches in a row again especially on hardcourts unless he got some really shabby opponents. Three in a row would be amazing to me at this point.

Horna is no gimp, the only final he made was on a hardcourt and has a very good forehand, plus his serve has got a lot bigger than it used to be.

He isn't very consistent and could work a bit harder on his conditioning. I not sure whether Hrbaty should be considered a dud on hardcourt.

jole
08-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Yes, Hrbaty can be like that, too bad he was always plays well against Gaudio.

Hrbaty is frustrating the guy grows 10 legs when he plays Slovakia, but just cause of you I'll allow it in this thread.

Maybe we could turn this into a frustrating cheering thread.

Did you like my summary of Horna previously?

Yes, he is perhaps not primed for this thread, I just had to briefly mention him due to my immediate frustration.

The Lucho summary is solid. Like you said, his serve truly is much more of a weapon now, as opposed to how it used to be a liability. He has confidence in it to the point where he can serve aces/unreturnables break point down. It is also fairly impressive considering ATP listing him at being 5'11'' (180 cm) is an extremely generous listing from what I've seen of him in real life. I still think he stands too far back while playing on hard courts, but habits are habits and it's hard to blame him due to his upbringing.

I think with a little luck he could pull into the top 25, or at least top 30, but I think it will require him winning a smaller title, and probably doing decently at some large events.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 05:38 AM
The Lucho summary is solid. Like you said, his serve truly is much more of a weapon now, as opposed to how it used to be a liability. He has confidence in it to the point where he can serve aces/unreturnables break point down. It is also fairly impressive considering ATP listing him at being 5'11'' (180 cm) is an extremely generous listing from what I've seen of him in real life. I still think he stands too far back while playing on hard courts, but habits are habits and it's hard to blame him due to his upbringing.

Lucho is quite solid especially in the legs, then again playing on clay a lot will do that to you. As for his height I think we're about the same height and I am not 180cm at all. Yes, his serve has got some stick on it now and can kick them quite well.

That's the thing he played well against Henman this year at RG and when Henman was coming in Lucho was passing him at will or just ripping shots right at his feet. The draw opened up for sure and thought he could make the 4th round or quarters, but Lurch Hanescu got him in the next round, that's what I mean that he doesn't go on with it.

Yes, it's not easy and sometimes the guys like him have to stand up a bit more and take shorter swings, which is not easy or somehow improve their footwork in such a way that they aren't late on the ball.

I think with a little luck he could pull into the top 25, or at least top 30, but I think it will require him winning a smaller title, and probably doing decently at some large events.

He could be top 30 easily and I think he will win a title eventually. I thought it would be this year, but I am not sure if he is playing Bucharest or Palermo, there are worse players than him that have made higher.

jole
08-04-2005, 05:43 AM
One thing I forgot about Luis is that often he gets really, really pissed off during matches. Generally, from what I can tell he is one of the people who gets pissed off with themselves and gets quite vocal, -but- they do not let it affect their play negatively really and often they get fired up and do better.

That said, often people can mistake players who are like this sometimes as assholes, weaklings, etc. but as long as you do not unravel, and you aren't yelling shit at your opponent it doesn't bother me much.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 05:47 AM
Agreed, there are many players that get pissed off with themselves for sure and as much as it's crowd entertainment when they have a go at the other player, it's not the best thing.

Malisse is another frustrating piece of work and gets easily pissed off, though I don't think he sledges his opponents.

jole
08-04-2005, 05:51 AM
Agreed, there are many players that get pissed off with themselves for sure and as much as it's crowd entertainment when they have a go at the other player, it's not the best thing.

Malisse is another frustrating piece of work and gets easily pissed off, though I don't think he sledges his opponents.

Yes, Malisse is most definitely one of the poster boys for the pissed off type behavior. The thing is with him, I'd say half the time when he goes off, he lets it negatively affect his play. It doesn't necessarily always cost him the match, but there is a huge difference obviously between getting pissed off and either losing points due to it, or not losing points due to it.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 05:56 AM
Yes, Malisse is most definitely one of the poster boys for the pissed off type behavior. The thing is with him, I'd say half the time when he goes off, he lets it negatively affect his play. It doesn't necessarily always cost him the match, but there is a huge difference obviously between getting pissed off and either losing points due to it, or not losing points due to it.

It's like with guys like Malisse and Gaudio if the ball doesn't hit the centre of the racquet all the time and the timing is a millisecond out they become pissed off.

Then there is the opposite the man known as Acasuso, he is a guy who does looked stoned on the court and maybe too mellow, but he always does well here in Sopot and he'll probably win the tournament. He could even play well on hardcourt, if he set his mind to it.

jole
08-04-2005, 05:58 AM
It's like with guys like Malisse and Gaudio if the ball doesn't hit the centre of the racquet all the time and the timing is a millisecond out they become pissed off. Precisely. Just the way it is, would be boring if everyone was the same.

Then there is the opposite the man known as Acasuso, he is a guy who does looked stoned on the court and maybe too mellow, but he always does well here in Sopot and he'll probably win the tournament. He could even play well on hardcourt, if he set his mind to it.

Quite true about Acasuso as well.

Action Jackson
08-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Quite true about Acasuso as well.

That's the thing Acasuso had his best career performance at a Slam and went backwards, all the rant is in the OP, but he should be doing better.

He plays doubles as well and the funny thing with his coach Dangerous Danny Orsanic they won a round at the doubles.

bad gambler
08-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Well Acasuso is a no brainer for me.

Another one is Blake - I watched him twice at AO this year, once against Mayer and the other against Hewitt and the guy has game. A lot of his recent decline has been due to serious injuries but unfortunately mentally he doesn't seem to have what it takes (like most frustrating players i guess) to crack it into the top 50 let alone 30.

X-man is another which others have covered in depth here.

Action Jackson
08-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Chucho showed again why he is so frustrating, he had this match against Starace, but managed to find a way to blow it.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I just hope Malisse doesn't do anything stupid and lose to Dancevic in Montreal.

Action Jackson
08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
James Blake one of the most intelligent players in an intellectual sense, yet when he gets on the court, he is almost as bad as Sharapova for brainless bashing of the ball, without much thought behind it.

Angle Queen
08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
I would also mention Max Mirnyi in this thread - yes he has done amazinlgy well in doubles, but despite his height and power and huge serve he has only ever won one ATP singles title. He always seems to get close to the big names in big matches but never quite delivers what he promises. Also - he is another with no tactical brain at all and certainly no Plan B - I am not a fan of his but imagine it must be very frustrating to be one!:sad:

That would be me, Rosie. I can't understand how he can be wildly successful at doubles and flounder so much in singles. I believe him to be intelligent and articulate...but it certainly doesn't show on the (singles) court. Maybe it's his partners that provide some of the stability and tactics to win the big points but Max has some of the tools that would seem to make him a better than Top-30ish singles player.

I can keep hoping...he'll just have a killer week one tournament and make my day! Til then, I'll be watching the doubles scores. ;) I'd luv to hear...that Max had to pull from a doubles match because he had a singles finals to play!

silverwhite
08-10-2005, 03:39 AM
Paulo hunted the duck :eek:

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Paulo played very well and now he'll probably blow it against Clement.

silverwhite
08-10-2005, 06:55 AM
He's quite unpredictable. Anything might happen. :scared:

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 07:55 AM
He's quite unpredictable. Anything might happen. :scared:

Then he wouldn't be in this thread then if he was predictable.

silverwhite
08-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Then he wouldn't be in this thread then if he was predictable.

True. I'm just hoping for the best. :o

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Too bad that Chucho lost to Clement, especially since Mathieu won the match as Chucho is like the father and Mathieu is the child in their respective matches.

bad gambler
08-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Chucho started so well today, but I think the heat got to him :(

DanEd
08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
I think his brain got to him as usual. not a big suprise he very often plays a very good set then plays the other two sets like crap
Chucho started so well today, but I think the heat got to him :(

bad gambler
08-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I think his brain got to him as usual. not a big suprise he very often plays a very good set then plays the other two sets like crap

he took an injury timeout in the 3rd set - he was dehydrated

Action Jackson
08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
he took an injury timeout in the 3rd set - he was dehydrated

Should have taken his water and his electrolytes then.

Action Jackson
08-11-2005, 07:22 AM
The frustrating brothers Malisse and Mathieu have made it through to the 3rd round and have a good chance to make the quarter finals.

silverwhite
08-11-2005, 06:50 PM
One of them has made it through to the QFs, 6-1 6-2 over Rochus, saving all 3 BPs he faced in the match with aces. I cannot believe it. :lol:

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
One of them has made it through to the QFs, 6-1 6-2 over Rochus, saving all 3 BPs he faced in the match with aces. I cannot believe it. :lol:

Well why not let the fun continue and there is a chance for Mathieu to make the semis, then again nothing is that surprising anymore.

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 09:34 AM
PHM played very well in the semis against Nadal, but will he be able to build on this good form or just continue the frustration caper.

vincayou
08-15-2005, 10:04 AM
The main problem for PHM is that when plan A is not working, he does not seem able to go for plan B.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 11:47 AM
The main problem for PHM is that when plan A is not working, he does not seem able to go for plan B.

He was able to do that to a certain extent in the match against Nadal. He started off going for broke, then began to think a bit, but later got frustrated with the defence Rafael put up and hit some silly shots like jump BHs. The main problem in that match was that he didn't serve well enough and didn't play the big points well.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:03 PM
PHM played very well in the semis against Nadal, but will he be able to build on this good form or just continue the frustration caper.

What I find really amusing is that all of a sudden, people are starting to jump on his bandwagon when not too long ago, he was nothing more than a choker.

Following him is like taking a rollercoaster ride, with ups and downs. You can enjoy the highs but you have to deal with the lows.

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:06 PM
What I find really amusing is that all of a sudden, people are starting to jump on his bandwagon when not too long ago, he was nothing more than a choker.

Following him is like taking a rollercoaster ride, with ups and downs. You can enjoy the highs but you have to deal with the lows.

Don't worry my opinion of him hasn't changed. One of my best friends who is very knowledgeable about the game does rate PHM highly and has for a long time.

Yes, he is still going to choke in matches and going to have brain explosions on court, but you accept that as a fan. Well the Nadal bandwagon is full and needs others now.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Don't worry my opinion of him hasn't changed. One of my best friends who is very knowledgeable about the game does rate PHM highly and has for a long time.

I was definitely not referring to you. I know how you feel about him. :lol:

Yes, he is still going to choke in matches and going to have brain explosions on court, but you accept that as a fan. Well the Nadal bandwagon is full and needs others now.

Well. He's getting better and that's all we can hope for. As a Gaudio fan, I'm sure you can relate to that (pre-2004). ;)

In any case, I have a feeling we'll have to open the doors of the bandwagon very soon. Some people are going to want out after Cincinnati.

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Well. He's getting better and that's all we can hope for. As a Gaudio fan, I'm sure you can relate to that (pre-2004). ;)

In any case, I have a feeling we'll have to open the doors of the bandwagon very soon. Some people are going to want out after Cincinnati.

Yes, the bandwagon will decrease after more bad results, well the whole Gaudio situation, it's like now, it seems people haven't been watching tennis, it's not like he hasn't been around before 2004.

As for PHM, there is a reason he is in thread among the others and it isn't because of consistent results.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes, the bandwagon will decrease after more bad results, well the whole Gaudio situation, it's like now, it seems people haven't been watching tennis, it's not like he hasn't been around before 2004.

No. What I meant was I had the impression that he used to be a lot more inconsistent and mentally unstable before his RG win.

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:21 PM
No. What I meant was I had the impression that he used to be a lot more inconsistent and mentally unstable before his RG win.

You were right, but there have been some spectacular brain fades this season as well.

Choupi
08-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Well personally I don't find it amusing at all! On the contrary...when I hear or read that Paulo is praised because of his recent good results in Montréal by ppl who hadn't stopped spitting on him, that really irritates me! :( That some new ppl come now because he has good results, I can understand. But the double-sided jacket, too much for me! :o

I know too well what you mean by that comment...

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:23 PM
You were right, but there have been some spectacular brain fades this season as well.

Not as bad as before, I don't think. I remember a particular match on against Hewitt in 2004 where I thought Hewitt was done but was shocked to find out that he had won.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Well personally I don't find it amusing at all! On the contrary...when I hear or read that Paulo is praised because of his recent good results in Montréal by ppl who hadn't stopped spitting on him, that really irritates me! :( That some new ppl come now because he has good results, I can understand. But the double-sided jacket, too much for me! :o

I know too well what you mean by that comment...

I used to feel that way when people started jumping on Richard's bandwagon, but if you think about it, there is an amusing side to it when people feel "cheated" and jump off the bandwagon. The hypocrisy there is what's amusing.

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Not as bad as before, I don't think. I remember a particular match on against Hewitt in 2004 where I thought Hewitt was done but was shocked to find out that he had won.

RG 05 too far in the memory bank for you? Yes, the bandwagon phenom is quite funny and was the same with Nadal earlier in the year, hence that one is full.

As for Gasquet, overhyped to has-been and now to legend all within 3 years, it's amusing seeing this.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:30 PM
RG 05 too far in the memory bank for you? Yes, the bandwagon phenom is quite funny and was the same with Nadal earlier in the year, hence that one is full.

As for Gasquet, overhyped to has-been and now to legend all within 3 years, it's amusing seeing this.

Ferrer had a lot to do with it, IMO. Either way, it can't be as bad as choking against Hewitt on clay. :o

Surely you jest. Richard's hardly a legend here.

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Ferrer had a lot to do with it, IMO. Either way, it can't be as bad as choking against Hewitt on clay. :o

Surely you jest. Richard's hardly a legend here.

Well I am not jesting about how much love Gasquet has been getting these days.

Cincinatti should be interesting as to see how some of the frustrating players will fare this week.

Choupi
08-15-2005, 12:35 PM
I used to feel that way when people started jumping on Richard's bandwagon, but if you think about it, there is an amusing side to it when people feel "cheated" and jump off the bandwagon. The hypocrisy there is what's amusing.
I can understand what makes you find the situation amusing. But I can't, that's too much asking. I'm always stunned to notice how selective ppl's memory can be! :( And hypocrisy is one of the things I hate the most so I can't find it amusing...

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Well I am not jesting about how much love Gasquet has been getting these days.

Cincinatti should be interesting as to see how some of the frustrating players will fare this week.

Well, you haven't been reading the posts branding him an immature :baby: .

Good luck to the Sopot king this week. He's up against El Aynaoui.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I can understand what makes you find the situation amusing. But I can't, that's too much asking. I'm always stunned to notice how selective ppl's memory can be! :( And hypocrisy is one of the things I hate the most so I can't find it amusing...

It's like comedy. Although the issues that are revealed are disturbing, you try to laugh them away. :lol:

I'm curious to know how the French media has been reacting to Paulo's week. I heard he was bashed for his DC performance. :(

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, you haven't been reading the posts branding him an immature :baby: .

Good luck to the Sopot king this week. He's up against El Aynaoui.

Legend when he wins and future of the game, he is immature when he loses.

Come to think of it I want Younes to win, he needs it more than Chucho.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Legend when he wins and future of the game, he is immature when he loses.

Come to think of it I want Younes to win, he needs it more than Chucho.

Isn't that always the case? Nalby can go from being the favourite to win Montreal to an overrated idiot in just one day!

Choupi
08-15-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm curious to know how the French media has been reacting to Paulo's week. I heard he was bashed for his DC performance. :(
Well nothing new under the sun! Yes, he's been bashed. But I have to admit that it hasn't been as hard as I thought it'd be. And you can be sure that his great results in Montréal have made his love rate increase very fast! I even wonder if some had still in mind that they had bashed him after the DC... :rolleyes: I've never seen as many replays of his matches, thanks to rain delays! :D There are some bits of matches that I know by heart now!! :haha: I'm waiting for Cinci to see if he can keep on that good job. And Thierry can be satisfied, because his task wasn't easy.

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Isn't that always the case? Nalby can go from being the favourite to win Montreal to an overrated idiot in just one day!

That he is and the wind direction usually only swirls in 2 directions here.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Well nothing new under the sun! Yes, he's been bashed. But I have to admit that it hasn't been as hard as I thought it'd be. And you can be sure that his great results in Montréal have made his love rate increase very fast! I even wonder if some had still in mind that they had bashed him after the DC... :rolleyes: I've never seen as many replays of his matches, thanks to rain delays! :D There are some bits of matches that I know by heart now!! :haha: I'm waiting for Cinci to see if he can keep on that good job. And Thierry can be satisfied, because his task wasn't easy.

I don't think anyone could stay angry with Paulo for very long. ;) He's very well-loved by the public, despite all his disappointments, I hear.

Well, credit has to go to Paulo as well. He was determined to bounce back from DC. Even Thierry Tulasne the tyrant (as Delsa called him) was impressed by his work ethic, so it's not fair to Paulo to say that Thierry's "task wasn't easy". ;)

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Paulo has sacked 2 coaches this year, he has the revolving door policy and maybe it might take a guy like Tulasne to do the best for him.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Paulo has sacked 2 coaches this year, he has the revolving door policy and maybe it might take a guy like Tulasne to do the best for him.

He didn't sack Halageur. The 2 wanted to work together but were forced to separate due to snide comments by some French player. We've been discussing the identity of this jealous player...

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 12:59 PM
He didn't sack Halageur. The 2 wanted to work together but were forced to separate due to snide comments by some French player. We've been discussing the identity of this jealous player...

Since when has innuendo without fact been a reason to stop working with someone, it sounds like the WTA.

Choupi
08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, he has had to seperate from Hagelhauer because of some stupid rule of DC...I think that if all players of the DC team would have agreed with Hagelhauer coaching Paulo while handling with DC occupations, he would still be with him. The rule would have been simply forgotten about!

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Well, he has had to seperate from Hagelhauer because of some stupid rule of DC...I think that if all players of the DC team would have agreed with Hagelhauer coaching Paulo while handling with DC occupations, he would still be with him. The rule would have been simply forgotten about!

That's a common rule for most organisations and doesn't lead to conflicts of interest. I mean Wilander, Mecir, Muster, Mancini don't coach players while being DC captain.

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Since when has innuendo without fact been a reason to stop working with someone, it sounds like the WTA.

The FFT has a right to decide, I think. From the start, they knew that they couldn't work together for long because Patrice is part of the DC coaching team, so it would be unfair to the other players.

Choupi
08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
That's a common rule for most organisations and doesn't lead to conflicts of interest. I mean Wilander, Mecir, Muster, Mancini don't coach players while being DC captain.
But Hagelhauer is far from being DC Captain! Anyway, there's a rule and it has been respected. 1 player has said he disagreed when they have all been consulted so they have had to separate. That's when Thierry has come into action. After the DC...

silverwhite

Ooh. That's how you spell his name. :lol:

Action Jackson
The FFT has a right to decide, I think. From the start, they knew that they couldn't work together for long because Patrice is part of the DC coaching team, so it would be unfair to the other players.

This thread is getting off track, the thing is that they shouldn't have worked together at all, when this was the case.

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 01:08 PM
But Hagelhauer is far from being DC Captain! Anyway, there's a rule and it has been respected. 1 player has said he disagreed when they have all been consulted so they have had to separate. That's when Thierry has come into action. After the DC...

As long as Tulasne works for him, then that's what counts. Forget is the captain, but I am not sure how much influence Hagelhauer as. I mean if he is a selector of the team then that's a problem.

Corey Feldman
08-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Ooh. That's how you spell his name. :lol:
Which french player made the snide comments?
When are you brining back the picture game?? ;)
What are chucho's chances V. El Aynaoui in cincinnati, Whitler???

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 01:10 PM

This match well anything could happen. Chucho could play a blinder or lose very easily, if you want to bet on it, take Younes.

Speaking of Frenchies, well Nicolas Escude is a frustrating player. He has had a lot of injuries, can play some fine attacking tennis and someone who lifts 10x when he plays Davis Cup.

Choupi
08-15-2005, 01:11 PM
As long as Tulasne works for him, then that's what counts. Forget is the captain, but I am not sure how much influence Hagelhauer as. I mean if he is a selector of the team then that's a problem.
As far as I know, Patrice is no selector...but what's done is done. And yes, Silverwhite, that's the correct spelling of Hagelhauer! :)

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 01:14 PM
This thread is getting off track, the thing is that they shouldn't have worked together at all, when this was the case.

Very quickly, Hagelhauer was a stand-in while the FFT were finding a coach for Paulo and they could have continued working together if not for the presence of a petty player.

Back to the topic of the thread. :)

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
As far as I know, Patrice is no selector...but what's done is done. And yes, Silverwhite, that's the correct spelling of Hagelhauer! :)

I apologise for butchering his name. :worship:

silverwhite
08-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Which french player made the snide comments?
When are you brining back the picture game?? ;)

1. That's what some of us in the French forum have been racking our brains over. It's probable that that player has played in DC before.

2. GWH can take over if he likes. :lol:

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 01:17 PM
silverwhite, thanks for clearing that up.

Hicham Arazi there was another frustrating player from the past, he seems like he is ready to retire now.

Corey Feldman
08-15-2005, 01:19 PM
This match well anything could happen. Chucho could play a blinder or lose very easily, if you want to bet on it, take Younes.

Speaking of Frenchies, well Nicolas Escude is a frustrating player. He has had a lot of injuries, can play some fine attacking tennis and someone who lifts 10x when he plays Davis Cup.
thats what i was thinking, huge odds against younes id think... and after he seemed back to goof form last week

the fighter Escude is my all time fave.. only player to come back from 0-2 love sets and win three times during one grand slam (98 aussie open)
and legendary 5 set wins over Hewitt at 2001 Wimbledon and Davis cup final are my best memories (as well as some epic tour matches with Henman (7-4) and Federer (4-4)

Corey Feldman
08-15-2005, 01:23 PM
goof form :o
good form off course i meant

:o

Action Jackson
08-15-2005, 01:29 PM
thats what i was thinking, huge odds against younes id think... and after he seemed back to goof form last week

the fighter Escude is my all time fave.. only player to come back from 0-2 love sets and win three times during one grand slam (98 aussie open)
and legendary 5 set wins over Hewitt at 2001 Wimbledon and Davis cup final are my best memories (as well as some epic tour matches with Henman (7-4) and Federer (4-4)

Why not go Younes, I'd be happy with either result.

Well apart from laughing when Nico beat Hewitt in DC which was great as the Aussies were so overconfident about winning this tie.

The AO 2003 well I remember the match he had with Agassi and he had so many chances in this match, but couldn't execute.

I never realised he played Henman so often.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 05:44 AM
Mathieu has continued his form from last week and now plays Davydenko.

Acasuso won a match and hopefully he can find his serve and brain and take out Boredo. Horna plays Coria and if he can serve well, then he has a chance in this match.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Igor Andreev has to be one of the most clueless players tactically when it comes to tennis, he has a huge forehand and serves quite well, but he doesn't seem to know when to play the right shot. He has almost already played 30 tournaments this year, that's a lot, then again after Valencia he hasn't been winning many of them.

jole
08-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Igor Andreev has to be one of the most clueless players tactically when it comes to tennis, he has a huge forehand and serves quite well, but he doesn't seem to know when to play the right shot. He has almost already played 30 tournaments this year, that's a lot, then again after Valencia he hasn't been winning many of them.

Yes, it really was quite painful watching his match today. I mean, with absolutely zero doubt he had the capability to -at least- take Hewitt to three, if not beat him. Regardless, Hewitt will take advantage of silly choices all day long and mop up relatively simple wins. I hope Igor gets it together since I like him.

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Yes, it really was quite painful watching his match today. I mean, with absolutely zero doubt he had the capability to -at least- take Hewitt to three, if not beat him. Regardless, Hewitt will take advantage of silly choices all day long and mop up relatively simple wins. I hope Igor gets it together since I like him.

He is too darn inconsistent and he lays well mainly when he is down. He has a lot of potential but sadly unless he sorts out the shit in his head he wont be going up.

:eek: I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw Chucho won a match. Question is can he string 2 wins

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 07:11 AM

I only saw bits of it and Igor does have the ability to do better than he does, sure he is a bit ordinary at the net, and his forehand can go off just as quickly as it can go on.

He didn't even need to hit it as hard to trouble Hewitt, as he could give it a bit more spin and play Hewitt's backhand and then use it in his favour as Hewitt hates the very high ball to his backhand.

What about the matches tonight do Horna and Chucho have hopes of winning?

bad gambler
08-17-2005, 07:12 AM
:eek: I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw Chucho won a match. Question is can he string 2 wins
he can take out robredo - there you go I've just given the big man the kiss of death

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 07:13 AM
he can take out robredo - there you go I've just given the big man the kiss of death

How was he in Montreal? You didn't give much of a report on that one?

The last time they played it was quite close and if Chucho can serve well, then it's game on. I mean I picked Berdych to beat Rafa, why not one more outlandish prediction.

jole
08-17-2005, 07:18 AM
I only saw bits of it and Igor does have the ability to do better than he does, sure he is a bit ordinary at the net, and his forehand can go off just as quickly as it can go on.

He didn't even need to hit it as hard to trouble Hewitt, as he could give it a bit more spin and play Hewitt's backhand and then use it in his favour as Hewitt hates the very high ball to his backhand.

What about the matches tonight do Horna and Chucho have hopes of winning?

Coria's swiftness and touch will frustrate the hell out of Lucho. He really needs someone more error-prone than Coria.

Acasuso, I'd say he has a 25 percent shot at winning. Robredo really does maintain his highish ranking (although it has slipped obviously) by winning most of the matches he should win, and losing most of the matches he should lose.

bad gambler
08-17-2005, 07:18 AM
How was he in Montreal? You didn't give much of a report on that one?

The last time they played it was quite close and if Chucho can serve well, then it's game on. I mean I picked Berdych to beat Rafa, why not one more outlandish prediction.

I'm going to write about my experience in Montreal when i return home, including the matches I watched :)

He had clement on the ropes in Montreal, then from mid way through the second set he went on his customary walkabout and then became disinterested and surrendered fairly meekly in the end

I would say he is a front runner, but then I need to remember his performance at FO against Roddick this year and his AO performance against Vacek a few years ago :worship:

oneandonlyhsn
08-17-2005, 07:24 AM

Awesome, Robredo is a nutter anyway, so should be interesting to see who comes out on top of this 1

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 07:43 AM

Some of us failed to notice that he was sexy until last Monday afternoon. Shoot me!

Any more criticism and I will withdraw my Paul Henri love. And we all know what will happen then!

Oh, he's more than likely still a choker, btw. And that's okay.

Because clearly you were talking about me. I am the only person on the board

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 07:45 AM
I don't think anyone could stay angry with Paulo for very long. ;) He's very well-loved by the public, despite all his disappointments, I hear.

Yeah, and I don't need to explain to you why that is, do I?

Chloe le Bopper
08-17-2005, 07:46 AM

Escude is missed.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Coria's swiftness and touch will frustrate the hell out of Lucho. He really needs someone more error-prone than Coria.

Acasuso, I'd say he has a 25 percent shot at winning. Robredo really does maintain his highish ranking (although it has slipped obviously) by winning most of the matches he should win, and losing most of the matches he should lose.

Lucho only won the last match cause Coria defaulted, then there was the famous Hamburg 04 match, which was one funny in it's own way, but as much as I want to see it go Lucho's way I doubt it.

Well if Chucho can serve well then he has a chance, but Boredo pretty much does that as you stated, but it's so fun when he loses to someone he shouldn't.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 11:43 AM
He had clement on the ropes in Montreal, then from mid way through the second set he went on his customary walkabout and then became disinterested and surrendered fairly meekly in the end

I would say he is a front runner, but then I need to remember his performance at FO against Roddick this year and his AO performance against Vacek a few years ago :worship:

That's the thing even when he is playing well he looks disinterested. Well yes that's the strange thing about Chucho he lost to Gonzo leading 2 sets to love, yet he beats Vacek and Roddick from 2 sets down. I think leading 2 sets to love and losing is something every player should go through, some more than others.

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Some of us failed to notice that he was sexy until last Monday afternoon. Shoot me!

Any more criticism and I will withdraw my Paul Henri love. And we all know what will happen then!

Because clearly you were talking about me. I am the only person on the board

Yours is a different case altogether, Queen Becca! :worship:

Choupi
08-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Nah...I won't shoot. Better late than never! ;)
And you'll leave Paulo alone on the court, without your lucky charm? :eek: Please, don't do that! How will he be able to keep on his good job? Look, he's not the same since you've met him in Montréal! ;)

Maybe, maybe not. I'd like to think that the Paulo I see playing since Montréal isn't the same. Not only has he gone back to his best game level, but the attitude is different. I mean, before, when he was playing a guy that was giving him a hard time, he used to fight, first, but when he started to make errors, he most of the times gave the match up...And please Paulo fans, don't throw the stone at me, I've been following him for quite a long time now. I just state the obvious! What is really pleasing me now- and I wonder if Thierry Tulasne has contributed to it or not- is that, when he happens to make errors, he stays focused, he takes point after point and is able, now, to build the match in his head, including those errors. And that explains why he's had those results last week. Panic seems to have deserted and that can only be a good thing. :)

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah, and I don't need to explain to you why that is, do I?

I wouldn't mind sitting through it. :lol:

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Choupi, you are convinced too easily about Mathieu, lets see him in the DC situation again.

Choupi
08-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Choupi, you are convinced too easily about Mathieu, lets see him in the DC situation again.
I'm convinced he can do great things. I've always been and will always be. He's having chocked in the past hasn't changed what I was thinking. He needed some click in his mind. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel he's had it. As for DC, we'll see. What's sure is that, if Forget wasn't convinced like I am, Paulo would have been out of the team for long now. Maybe he'll choke again...but that won't change anything to what I think of him, just adding a bit to the frustration!

*julie*
08-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Not only has he gone back to his best game level, but the attitude is different. I mean, before, when he was playing a guy that was giving him a hard time, he used to fight, first, but when he started to make errors, he most of the times gave the match up...And please Paulo fans, don't throw the stone at me, I've been following him for quite a long time now. I just state the obvious! What is really pleasing me now- and I wonder if Thierry Tulasne has contributed to it or not- is that, when he happens to make errors, he stays focused, he takes point after point and is able, now, to build the match in his head, including those errors. And that explains why he's had those results last week. Panic seems to have deserted and that can only be a good thing. :)

Yes. In the past, he used to play "under pressure" and now, he shows a great mental.
However, today he will play Davydenko, a very bad memory for him... :scared: I wonder how he is going to handle this match. :rolleyes: Hopefully, Paulo will be as good as in the previous matches and will take his revenge.

The thing is he has improved his first serve a lot. He now holds more easily his serves and is a lot more confident.
But yes. Paulo had so many ups and downs in the past that we are always expecting everything: it can be the best or the worst...

@Chloe: Keep supporting Paulo ;)

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 12:44 PM
The thing is he has improved his first serve a lot. He now holds more easily his serves and is a lot more confident.
But yes. Paulo had so many ups and downs in the past that we are always expecting everything: it can be the best or the worst...

His serve has always been inconsistently good. Just look at the match against Haas. 8 aces in the 1st set compared to just 1 in the 2nd. His serve out wide is really effective when it goes in. At RG for example, you could see that he attempted such serves a lot but not so many went in. He managed to get a higher percentage in at Montreal and that's what made the difference.

A more consistent serve would definitely take more pressure off him and we wouldn't have to suffer heartattacks like at RG this year. ;)

Choupi
08-17-2005, 12:46 PM
However, today he will play Davydenko, a very bad memory for him... :scared: I wonder how he is going to handle this match. :rolleyes: Hopefully, Paulo will be as good as in the previous matches and will take his revenge.
Yes, it's gonna be either total happiness or big frustration. But I figure you know what it is like...I wanna be confident. Some will call me insane and will seize the opportunity to throw this back to me if Paulo loses, but I don't care.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Yes, it's gonna be either total happiness or big frustration. But I figure you know what it is like...I wanna be confident. Some will call me insane and will seize the opportunity to throw this back to me if Paulo loses, but I don't care.

Good for you, too bad there is too much Mathieu talk in this thread, then again it's not like the other really frustrating ones have many fans. :)

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 12:58 PM

I think if Paulo gets over the psychological barrier of having lost to him rather easily in DC, he has a shot at the match. That's an if though.

Choupi
08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Good for you, too bad there is too much Mathieu talk in this thread, then again it's not like the other really frustrating ones have many fans. :)
Well, when you've been following a player and that he hasn't had great results, and on top of that, he's known to be a choker, you're kinda happy to be able to express yourself when the same player does great in a tournament, especailly a TMS event, and keeps on in the following one. But you're right, all really frustrating players deserve to have more fans. They don't know what they're losing! :)

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Chokers have a certain likeable appeal to them. Look at Clijsters and Mauresmo. ;)

*julie*
08-17-2005, 01:00 PM
His serve has always been inconsistently good. Just look at the match against Haas. 8 aces in the 1st set compared to just 1 in the 2nd. His serve out wide is really effective when it goes in. At RG for example, you could see that he attempted such serves a lot but not so many went in. He managed to get a higher percentage in at Montreal and that's what made the difference.

A more consistent serve would definitely take more pressure off him and we wouldn't have to suffer heartattacks like at RG this year. ;)

Actually, against Haas he hit 6 aces both in the 1st and 3rd set...Which is not bad

Sorry GWH, back to topic then!
Actually, I kind of like Chucho as well... ;)

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Actually, against Haas he hit 6 aces both in the 1st and 3rd set...Which is not bad

Precisely! It goes up and down and up again. He has to improve on the consistency against Davydenko.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Chokers have a certain likeable appeal to them. Look at Clijsters and Mauresmo. ;)

WTA = those are horror words around me.

It's not just chokers, it's the lazy, the talented, the often injured ones, the guys who beat top players, then lose to jabronis, they all have their place.

silverwhite
08-17-2005, 01:07 PM
WTA = those are horror words around me.

It's not just chokers, it's the lazy, the talented, the often injured ones, the guys who beat top players, then lose to jabronis, they all have their place.

I'm sorry, but I had to resort to the WTA to find players of PHM's "calibre" in that area. :o

I'm just saying that chokers tend to attract more fans than the other types of frustrating players. Maybe it's pity. Maybe it's because they appear "harmless" in a way. I don't know, but chokers seem to have a greater appeal for some reason... :lol:

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm sorry, but I had to resort to the WTA to find players of PHM's "calibre" in that area. :o

I'm just saying that chokers tend to attract more fans than the other types of frustrating players. Maybe it's pity. Maybe it's because they appear "harmless" in a way. I don't know, but chokers seem to have a greater appeal for some reason... :lol:

There are plenty of guys on tour who can throw away leads with such skills and as for chokers being harmless it depends on the situation.

Choupi
08-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Maybe it's because they appear "harmless" in a way. I don't know, but chokers seem to have a greater appeal for some reason... :lol:
I wouldn't call them harmless...because most of them are actually watched out very carefully because they're able of the worst, but also of the best, as if, some days, they were touched by grace.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Speaking of frustrating players, one that comes to mind is Mariano Zabaleta. The thing is that is frustrating is that after his match against Federer this year in Miami, where he played quite well and pushed him.

He built up some confidence and was setting him up for potentially a good claycourt season and was giving froggy Ferrer a lesson, then injured his foot and missed a few months, he has come back quite well afterwards, but he lost momentum.

Zab fights hard, though his backhand is a major liabilty, some days is acceptable and other days it's as bad as Karlovic's groundstrokes.

Choupi
08-17-2005, 02:11 PM
You're right! And that match against Federer in Miami could have been the 1st stone of some great achievement this year, without that injury in MC. This time, it's not so much the player who is frustrating, on the contrary. And witnessing the fighting spirit in action leaves you unforgetable memories! :p Anyway, who knows what he would have been up to without that injury? He has missed part of the clay season, which is his best surface. Frustration, frustration...

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 02:30 PM
You're right! And that match against Federer in Miami could have been the 1st stone of some great achievement this year, without that injury in MC. This time, it's not so much the player who is frustrating, on the contrary. And witnessing the fighting spirit in action leaves you unforgetable memories! :p Anyway, who knows what he would have been up to without that injury? He has missed part of the clay season, which is his best surface. Frustration, frustration...

That's the frustrating thing with his beatdown of Ferrer going on and injuring his foot ruining his best 2 months and was on the way to matching his Rome semi final with Monte Carlo one, then not having many results to defend up to Båstad, the top 40 was a possibility for sure.

The injuries were frustrating this time, but his play has also done it as well. His 2003 match against Coria at RG was a case in point, he came back from 2 sets down and lost in 5, he had the momentum, but played a stupid game and lost it from there, he had some play to win the 2nd set, but that's life.

I just wish he could improve that backhand.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 06:21 PM

The Lucho came through 6-4 6-4, too bad there were no cameras on this court, he served very well and I love to be proven wrong and he has a chance for the quarters, but he will more than likely disappoint, but he beat the weasel and that's good enough for me.

joeb_uk
08-17-2005, 06:48 PM

Ahhh i miss pavel :sad: havent seen him play for a while now, always nice to watch his silky one hander :yeah: The match against coria was a great match, beforehand i didnt think he had the tools to trouble coria. But it was a very tight match.

joeb_uk
08-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Volandri and Cañas have had some very good battles as well and considering he does have the worst serve on tour, it's like he should just spend the off season just hitting serves, he has a class backhand, but elsewhere he gets exposed.

He had a lot of injuries, but at the same time at 04 RG he blew it big time against Youzhny and the Fed matches, he wasn't that bad, just outclassed. He has good volleys, good backhand and serves quite well and can do well on most surfaces, but that loss against Reynolds at the AO was hideous.
I will really miss canas, he and pipo did have some great battles. I was watching the indian wells semin against fed on tape the night before he was banned for two years, and i was thinking i hope to see canas play again soon :sad:
Canas is great to watch, and i love when he plays players like henman and really tears them up :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Pavel played wonderfully well to beat Rafter to win the Canadian Open from nowhere really and too bad he had a bad run with injuries, he is in decline at the moment, but hopefully he can have 1 good season left.

joeb_uk
08-17-2005, 06:55 PM

Ahh another one i have missed watching, calleri (what an ass kicking he gave that bald old man!). He really dominated baldy, and it was great to watch :cool:

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Ahh another one i have missed watching, calleri (what an ass kicking he gave that bald old man!). He really dominated baldy, and it was great to watch :cool:

Calleri got less than 40 per cent serves in and Agassi had no clue, he was getting bitchslapped. He is around # 70 in the rankings and had a good showi in Amersfoort, had a lot of injury problems this season and the thing is he can play very well and badly.

If you ever want a match on DVD 2003 DC match against Ferrero, that was Calleri at his best.

joeb_uk
08-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Calleri got less than 40 per cent serves in and Agassi had no clue, he was getting bitchslapped. He is around # 70 in the rankings and had a good showi in Amersfoort, had a lot of injury problems this season and the thing is he can play very well and badly.

If you ever want a match on DVD 2003 DC match against Ferrero, that was Calleri at his best.
I think my recording of the agassi embarassment show was deleted :( Would love to watch it over and over again :D

was the ferrero match even worse of a smashing than the agassi match?

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 07:09 PM
I think my recording of the agassi embarassment show was deleted :( Would love to watch it over and over again :D

was the ferrero match even worse of a smashing than the agassi match?

Ferrero had just won RG that year and I have spoken to many Spaniards who were at match and ask any of them who saw it, they will never forget it.

The context made it more memorable.

jole
08-17-2005, 07:50 PM
7-6 to Chucho! One set to go my friend, prove me wrong!

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 07:53 PM
7-6 to Chucho! One set to go my friend, prove me wrong!

He blew 6 set points in the breaker. Yes, make the next step and don't let Boredo, bore you out of the match.

Action Jackson
08-17-2005, 08:28 PM
I said he could do it and the Chucho came through in straight sets and now plays Horna, the battle of the frustrating players in a show for a quarter final spot.

Action Jackson
08-18-2005, 08:51 AM
I am happy that both Chucho and Horna have made the 3rd round and one of them makes the quarter finals. I just hope they will show some coverage of this match, it's the last match on the 2nd court, which is a surprise. I thought they'd have tried to get rid of them early.

oneandonlyhsn
08-18-2005, 08:54 AM

You really know your stuff, wow :worship:

silverwhite
08-18-2005, 09:14 AM
I am happy that both Chucho and Horna have made the 3rd round and one of them makes the quarter finals. I just hope they will show some coverage of this match, it's the last match on the 2nd court, which is a surprise. I thought they'd have tried to get rid of them early.

Must feel good that these 2 are doing so well this week. ;)

Action Jackson
08-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Must feel good that these 2 are doing so well this week. ;)

It won't happen for a while. I mean Acasuso will have to wait to Bucharest and Palermo and I think Horna could be playing there as well, these 2 tournaments are the ones that end the season for me.

Paulo can rest and his ranking should be quite good, then again it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the year works out.

silverwhite
08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
It won't happen for a while. I mean Acasuso will have to wait to Bucharest and Palermo and I think Horna could be playing there as well, these 2 tournaments are the ones that end the season for me.

Paulo can rest and his ranking should be quite good, then again it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the year works out.

Well, good luck to them there then. :lol: (Aren't you interested to see how Nadal and maybe Gaudio do at the TMC?)

No time to rest. He's playing New Haven and defending US Open 3rd round points (would have been 4th round if he had taken 1 of those 2 MPs against Sargsian).

Action Jackson
08-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Well, good luck to them there then. :lol: (Aren't you interested to see how Nadal and maybe Gaudio do at the TMC?)

No time to rest. He's playing New Haven and defending US Open 3rd round points (would have been 4th round if he had taken 1 of those 2 MPs against Sargsian).

I only truly care about the AO and the clay season, the other events get a passing interest. Well Gaudio needed to make the 3rd round here or if he make R3 at the US Open it might be alright, but the TMC I don't care.

Well he is in the top 50 now and won't get a seeding for the US Open and could be quite a dangerous floater.

bad gambler
08-18-2005, 09:56 AM
I only truly care about the AO and the clay season, the other events get a passing interest. Well Gaudio needed to make the 3rd round here or if he make R3 at the US Open it might be alright, but the TMC I don't care.

Well he is in the top 50 now and won't get a seeding for the US Open and could be quite a dangerous floater.

GG played well in Montreal, and no it wasn't because the courts were slow ;)

Action Jackson
08-18-2005, 10:11 AM
GG played well in Montreal, and no it wasn't because the courts were slow ;)

Well, this is true, but Gaudio is in the hardcourt surprise thread when he wins a match.

Horna has carried on his good qualy form and has a big chance today, though a negative H2H against Chucho.

Chloe le Bopper
08-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Yours is a different case altogether, Queen Becca! :worship:
Okay :yeah:

Chloe le Bopper
08-18-2005, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't mind sitting through it. :lol:
Paul Henri could be a serial killer and he would still be liked by the publicf, because he has beautiful BEDROOM eyes and good hair :agel:

Daniel
08-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Jose :banana: :D

Sjengster
08-19-2005, 12:32 AM

*Ahem*, you forget one another comeback king in recent years: Costaaaaaaaaaaaa....... That brilliant run at RG back in 2003 (coming from two sets down against Roitman, Lapentti and Robredo) was what made me a fan. And the moment of triumph over Robredo, the yell as he slotted away the final volley and collapsed on his back, is my favourite ever match-winning reaction.

Back to Escude himself, it's funny; I used to detest the guy back in late 2001 when I still liked Hewitt (yes, it's true :o ) and he was his grass-court nemesis. The DC result annoyed me intensely because I was rooting for Australia, more for Rafter's sake as his final event in professional tennis than for Hewitt's. The fact that he was Henman's indoor nemesis was also irritating, but I've swung round completely now. I think the AO match against Agassi helped, he was the only guy to take it to the A-Train during the whole fortnight and give him a taste of his own medicine with explosive returning and massive, flat groundies.

I have the DC match on DVD now, what a brilliant comeback he made and completely silenced Hewitt and the crowd by the end. He always seemed to save his best for Australia, what with the 98 AO semi, the DC win in 01, and then his memorable AO defeats against Sampras (02) and Agassi (03). He's so wonderful to watch at his best, but he is of course the original headcase, and injuries have once more sent him into the wilderness... I doubt we'll see him again on the tennis court.

Sjengster
08-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Chucho almost does it again: takes a 6-2 lead in the breaker against Horna, blows three setpoints including two on his own serve, and finally takes it 7-5 on the opponent's delivery.

Effka
08-19-2005, 12:39 AM
sweet lord. watching Chucho on scoreboard is killing me. Lucho won only 6 points on Chucho's serve in the first set, but picked two of them in the tb. :mad:

Chucho, you are :cuckoo: and that's a fact. But i love you that way :devil:

oneandonlyhsn
08-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Great win by Chucho, Horna kinda chocked in the end, but :woohoo: Now this sets up the most interesting QF in the tournie btw Chuco and Fed

Action Jackson
08-19-2005, 05:11 AM
This a great laugh that Chucho has made the quarters of a hardcourt even at TMS level, then again it's time to enjoy it while it lasts, then expect a strange performance at the US Open, which would be fitting.

Well done Chucho on a good week in Cincinnati, at least he didn't get bagelled against Federer and for a few games showed some of his abilities, but he didn't really believe he had a chance.

Now, what will happen is 1st round losses for the next few tournaments, he is back in the top 50 now.

Action Jackson
08-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Funny how James Blake is one of the most intellectually intelligent players on the circuit, when he plays tennis, he has to be one of the worst in that regard, he is a hitter per se and doesn't like using any tactics.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 08:33 AM
The last big tournament that the frustrating players can come out and have some good performances, before reverting back to their usual form.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Great news the Chucho and Lucho show is on again at the US Open with the reward being a 2nd round match with Hewitt.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Vinciguerra is another frustrating one, though with him it has been mostly injuries. He also got a bit lazy, lacked motivation, then got involved in an assault case. I am happy he is back on tour and hopefully a Swede that can play on clay isn't a lost species.

He almost beat Youzhny in his 1st main draw tournament back and is playing the Challengers. It's funny he was playing the Nadal type of game, before Nadal, he was the test product, but Rafa is the improved model.

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 09:22 PM
It's funny he was playing the Nadal type of game, before Nadal, he was the test product, but Rafa is the improved model.

Kind of like the first airplane was a test for an F-16...:) I do see the comparison though.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Kind of like the first airplane was a test for an F-16...:) I do see the comparison though.

Have you ever seen Vinciguerra play?

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Yes, which is why I said I see the comparison. Nadal has just taken the style to a whole another level which I didn't think could be possible in the age of big hitting.

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Funny how James Blake is one of the most intellectually intelligent players on the circuit, when he plays tennis, he has to be one of the worst in that regard, he is a hitter per se and doesn't like using any tactics.

Yes, it is interesting. I'm not sure but I believe that James was a late comer to tennis which could explain some of this. He will start off playing a point really well but when he should slice the ball cross court and play defense or just hit a solid FH CC, he will go for a wild winner.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Yes, it is interesting. I'm not sure but I believe that James was a late comer to tennis which could explain some of this. He will start off playing a point really well but when he should slice the ball cross court and play defense or just hit a solid FH CC, he will go for a wild winner.

Mecir started playing tennis at 15 and he had a tennis brain, it's just some people are wired differently.

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Mecir started playing tennis at 15 and he had a tennis brain, it's just some people are wired differently.

Yeah, Mecir and Stich and others came late to the game so it could just be that certain players are wired differently. I usually see players who come late to the game play a certain way. Blake certainly has the serve (1st serve at least), the FH and athleticism to be a top 20 player but injuries and inconsistency have held him back. He's playing pretty well right now and might make some noise at the Open.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah, Mecir and Stich and others came late to the game so it could just be that certain players are wired differently. I usually see players who come late to the game play a certain way. Blake certainly has the serve (1st serve at least), the FH and athleticism to be a top 20 player but injuries and inconsistency have held him back. He's playing pretty well right now and might make some noise at the Open.

I just see the players as individuals and can't use collective thinking for all of them, just cause some similarities are there. Blake can play the game, but he is a tactical gnat.

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 09:43 PM
A couple of years ago, Blake could have been summed up perfectly by Lendl's famous description of the young Agassi: "He's nothing but a haircut and a forehand." Now of course he doesn't even have the haircut.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 09:46 PM
A couple of years ago, Blake could have been summed up perfectly by Lendl's famous description of the young Agassi: "He's nothing but a haircut and a forehand." Now of course he doesn't even have the haircut.

:worship:

Are you looking forward to the Chucho/Lucho show again?

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 09:47 PM
^Agassi was such a naturally gifted ball striker that he never really worked on any parts of his game when he was young. He didn't even go through the normal route of struggling though the futures and challengers for at least a year or so. He just came up to the big show, could hit the ball better than anyone and shot up the rankings. Obviously those tactics could not work on Lendl. Then he worked on improving his serve, his volleys (which really helped him win Wimby), his conditioning, etc.

As for Blake, he also has a big serve and great natural athletic ability. It's fun watching him live on the court because he is as fast as anyone out there.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Yes, which is why I said I see the comparison. Nadal has just taken the style to a whole another level which I didn't think could be possible in the age of big hitting.

Nadal has a better backhand than Vinci, even he was 16 as Vinci did one of the worst backhands on tour, but when going his forehand was vicious as was his speed around the court. He has improved the serve, but it will be very hard for him.

Marat loves Vinciguerra.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 09:49 PM
^Agassi was such a naturally gifted ball striker that he never really worked on any parts of his game when he was young. He didn't even go through the normal route of struggling though the futures and challengers for at least a year or so. He just came up to the big show, could hit the ball better than anyone and shot up the rankings. Obviously those tactics could not work on Lendl. Then he worked on improving his serve, his volleys (which really helped him win Wimby), his conditioning, etc.

As for Blake, he also has a big serve and great natural athletic ability. It's fun watching him live on the court because he is as fast as anyone out there.

Agassi off topic in this thread. :)

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 09:51 PM
:worship:

Are you looking forward to the Chucho/Lucho show again?

Looking forward to it, and with my interactive coverage I might actually get to see it, provided I can access Court 18 at 11pm my time.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Looking forward to it, and with my interactive coverage I might actually get to see it, provided I can access Court 18 at 11pm my time.

I am jealous. I think if they had their way they would play it in Staten Island.

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Nadal has a better backhand than Vinci, even he was 16 as Vinci did one of the worst backhands on tour, but when going his forehand was vicious as was his speed around the court. He has improved the serve, but it will be very hard for him.

Marat loves Vinciguerra.

The last time I saw Vinci was in that decent battle he had with Agassi at the 2003 US Open, I'm starting to think it's the last time I'll ever see him on a tennis court. He did ruin Schalken's best ever chance to make the semis of a TMS event, but the Vinciguerra/Koubek/Puerta muscling lefty style will always be enjoyable for me.

I'm starting to wonder how well Safin would do against Nadal considering his record against the Vinch.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 09:58 PM
The last time I saw Vinci was in that decent battle he had with Agassi at the 2003 US Open, I'm starting to think it's the last time I'll ever see him on a tennis court. He did ruin Schalken's best ever chance to make the semis of a TMS event, but the Vinciguerra/Koubek/Puerta muscling lefty style will always be enjoyable for me.

I'm starting to wonder how well Safin would do against Nadal considering his record against the Vinch.

He served very well that day for Vinci, but he is a Swede that can play on clay, which is rare these days. Btw, I am going to bump the Oldies thread later on.

He is playing clay challengers and wants to be ready for the Aus Open next year and if he can keep up his form, he can make the qualie list. He does well in Aus and he is very watchable.

Same reasons as why I think Nadal will either dominate Safin or Safin will have learnt his lessons and then handle Rafa on the Vinci thing. I mean there was the Kent Carlsson/Muster/Bruguera thing which was like this.

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 10:03 PM
He had a good run in 2003 that was ended by Federer, he destroyed Mr. Fashionista (who was defending QF points) in the first round when the latter had just beaten him a couple of weeks before en route to winning Doha.

I suppose Nadal against Safin in Paris (the faster event) is the kind of match-up Deivid is dreading at the moment. Should be interesting to see him against the big servers at the TMC, which I assume is indoors again like it was back in 2002.

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Agassi off topic in this thread.

Ha ha. Ok. :)

This is true. Nadal's BH is getting better too. He was hitting this inside-out BH up the line wrong-tooting his opponents on the dead run. It was quite impressive.

I am jealous. I think if they had their way they would play it in Staten Island.

Staten Island??? Heheheheheh. Yikes!

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
He had a good run in 2003 that was ended by Federer, he destroyed Mr. Fashionista (who was defending QF points) in the first round when the latter had just beaten him a couple of weeks before en route to winning Doha.

I suppose Nadal against Safin in Paris (the faster event) is the kind of match-up Deivid is dreading at the moment. Should be interesting to see him against the big servers at the TMC, which I assume is indoors again like it was back in 2002.

I remember that run and he made the 4th round losing to Kafelnikov and also he lost to Escude one year in one of the best prematch atmospheres that wouldn't be seen at other Slams. El Fashionista was terrible and I think he might get a write up soon and he did have some problem in the middle of the 2nd set.

One difference between Rafa and Vinci is that Vinci cause of his background had more experience of playing indoors which is necessary for tennis development in Sweden, unless it was the great Kent. :)

NYCtennisfan
08-25-2005, 10:10 PM
unless it was the great Kent.

He's on my "Winning a tourny without dropping a set" list. I will bump it for you.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Stefan Koubek well this guy is an interesting one, he looks like he is stoned or has been hanging in the Alps too long. I remember the great yellow shorts he had when he made the QFs in the AO 2002 and played like a knucklehead against his bitch Jiri Novak.

He's interesting, he will lose so many 1st rounders in a row, then out of nowhere he can play very well or win a tournament at best. He was ranked # 20 at his best, but with a bit more focus he could have been consistently top 50 for some time.

It's hard to say what his best surface is I remember him at RG 99 losing to Corretja, before Corretja got an illness and thought clay would be it, but he has had his best Slam performance at AO and won hardcourt tourneys.

He plays well in Davis Cup and said Muster was a hero to him, too bad he doesn't have the Muster consistency.

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't think we'll ever see a QF match-up of such greatness again in a Slam, sadly. "Come on Ronald McDonald!" came the immortal shout from the crowd midway through the match, but unfortunately it didn't put a happy grin on Koubek's face.

Wasn't he a junior of some promise as well, hence the Austrian hope that he was the next Muster? Yes, it's safe to say that you rarely saw Muster flaying forehand five miles out of court on big points. Nice lefty serve though, and if only he could always play Ferrero in Slams, judging by their last few encounters.

The first time I ever heard of him was when I saw on Teletext that he had beaten Federer in Vienna 01; I didn't see the match, or his subsequent loss to Canas, so I was even more surprised at how Federer had managed to lose to him when I did see him on TV (which was the Novak match, unfortunately). But utter class cannot go unappreciated for long, and when he turned up to take on Robredo in the quarters of Hamburg in the same neon yellow shorts, complemented by a lovely orange shirt, I knew I had found someone to support.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Koubek was playing like a clown that day, but he deserved that "Ronald McDonald" call, the outside court crowds are generally pretty good down here. That tournament was there I really got to appreciate him more than I did before. He was coached by Joakim Nyström at the time.

There was a rain delay and then I was wondering around and decided to see his match against Saulnier where he was down 0-6 1-6 1-4 15-40 on his serve, then as myself and another Austrian decided to watch the end of the match, he decided to come back and win it from there.

The next match he was down 2 sets to love and a break against James Blake and then when he got the 3rd set, he was like Muster and Blake had run out of puff, he took out Corretja in round 1. Then he played a blinder against Gonzo, followed up by that Jiri Novak effort.

He was the last guy to beat Federer in Vienna and he always struggled against Cañas, but played well against Gonzo. The fact he is highly unconventional in looks and fashion sense, he had the blood red shirt once with the yellow shorts that definitely helps him.

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 10:45 PM
I remember waking up in the morning and seeing that Saulnier scoreline, and thinking "What the hell??!!"... that was when I started to take notice of Koubek properly. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more improbable comeback score in men's tennis, the only thing to top it would be a 0-6 0-6 7-6 7-6 14-12 win or something like that.

I just checked the Novak head-to-head against Koubek, and not only has he beaten him on every surface (both Rebound Ace and US hard) without losing a set, he's won the last two matches by the same scoreline of 6-4, 6-0. Ownership indeed.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Wayne Ferreira was down 2 sets to love and 1-5 against Ljubo at the AO and Ferreira won the match 7-5 in the 5th that was the same year as the Koubek antics and Saulnier had 4 mps as well.

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Oh, of course - now that isn't the most improbable comeback score when you look at the match as a whole, but that must be the biggest choke any top-class player has ever performed at this level. I mean 5-1, 40-15 with the quality of Ljubicic's serve? Mind you, Ferreira has a specialty for five-setters at the AO as he showed in the next round beating Costa 9-7 in the fifth. I think that particular AO set a record for the most amount of comebacks from two sets down, Schuettler did it against Moya and Mellow Jiro achieved it against Gaudenzi, otherwise he would never have reached that SF.

Action Jackson
08-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Yes, that was a bizarre tournament but watching Koubek coming back from that far down was amazing for sure and it was only by chance I saw it. He has some good matches with Gaudio and Ferrero.

Sjengster
08-25-2005, 11:12 PM
I know it's off-topic, but check out this list of comebacks from that 2002 AO. And oh, the irony of Ljubicic's first-round score....

Ferreira, W. (RSA ) 4 4 7 6 7
Ljubicic, I. (CRO ) 6 6 6 3 5

Lapentti, N. (ECU ) 4 5 6 6 6
Gaudio, G. (ARG ) 6 7 4 2 4

Escude, N. (FRA ) 2 2 6 7 6
Calatrava, A. (ESP ) 6 6 4 5 4

Koubek, S. (AUT ) 4 2 6 6 6
Blake, J. (USA ) 6 6 4 1 2

Novak, J. (CZE ) 2 5 6 6 6
Gaudenzi, A. (ITA ) 6 7 2 3 3

Schuettler, R. (GER ) 3 6 6 7 6
Moya, C. (ESP ) 6 7 1 6 2