James Blake Curses at Umpire After Match [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

James Blake Curses at Umpire After Match

binkygirl
07-30-2005, 09:32 AM
James Blake exploded in anger at chair umpire, Norm Christ, after his double's match loss today. He and Xavier Malisse lost a three set match versus Travis Parrot and Jordan Kerr. It was a close, hard fought match that Malisse/Blake lost 3-6 in the third. The last point was very controversial, because the ball looked in, but was called out. Both Blake and Malisse were visibly disappointed with the call, but politely shook the hand of their opponents and the umpire. Xavier rapidly packed his things and started making his way off the court with security. The crowd started surging forward for autographs from the players. James signed a few things and started gathering his things, but stopped and walked over to umpire, Norm Christ, who was just getting out of the umpire's chair. (Norm Christ is the same umpire that presided over James' controversial singles match last night that was riddled with disputed line calls. Many balls that were actually out, were called good in favor of his opponent, Robbie Ginepri. I saw the match from the box seat section and feel that James was correct in disputing the calls during the singles match and also had my hunch corroborated by a ball boy who worked that match. He agreed that James was indeed cheated.) (see photos (http://home.comcast.net/~retroarts/james/)

James asked him,'How can you make those calls where you can't even see the ball that well?'

Norm replied,'I can see the ball.'

'You can't see a fucking thing,'said James.

At this point Travis Parrott looked up from signing autographs and stared at the dueling duo with a baffled,'What the hell is going on?' expression on his face. He looked stunned at James' outburst. (OT: Travis is sooooo damned hot in person!! I asked him if he was still traveling with his girlfriend and he said,'Yes, she's here supporting me.' Oh, she's a lucky girl, he's so handsome and gorgeous.)

The confrontation between the umpire and James went on for at least three minutes, with James continuing to chide Christ for not making good calls. Both men stood their solidly, completely unwilling to back down. Finally, at the end, Christ said,'Well how am I supposed to see that?'

James replied with,'Take it from me, my man, you need to try.'

Then, as if awakened by sleeping salts, James' head snapped to attention, and he appeared to realized that the remaining crowd (people who wanted autographs) was staring at him in silent astonishment. He then returned to gathering his things. He signed an autpgraph or two and then quickly trotted off court with a security guard.

During the entire confrontation, his doubles partner, Xavier Malisse, waited to the side picking at his nail, head down, but smiling from time to time as James lashed out at Norm Christ. James' coach and brassy blonde had already exited immediately after the match ended. John Mayer didn't come to this match, nor James' other doubles match. He only attended James singles matches.

All the photos (http://home.comcast.net/~retroarts/james/) below capture the scene, with the exception of the three crowd photos where you can see the Paris Hilton trashy lookalike who is James' current girlfriend and traveling companion from now on. She's the brassy blonde in the green top who looks like a stripper. I took those photos during James' night match against Ginepri. Brassy blonde and her friend definitely stood out from the rest of the crowd with their overly bleached hair, trowled on makeup, and nightclub attire. I honestly thought that they had to be groupies, because their look is what the French would describe as 'obvious'. Barbie looked rather bored during alot of James singles match as if she had no real clue of what was going on. She suffered from the same ennui today during James' doubles match.

Certainly, to err is human, but today's behavior from James was out of character. He appears to be turning a corner in his career and its not in the right direction, when you factor in all the other elements:

He'll either need a wild card or play qualies to get into the US Open, because he hasn't been able to get his ranking back up into the top 100. He should have done that by now, but instead has slipped from 97 at the start of the year to a current 108.

He's not improving as a player. Granted, he did have horrible health problems last year and missed alot of time on the tour, but even before that, his results could have been better based on the amount of talent he possesses. Its not fun watching him struggle so badly. He's at the level where he has all the shots, but absolutely no clue at how to successfully strategize and put them together for victory. As he was being interviewed by Access Hollywood on the grounds today, he mentioned playing until he was 32 or 33. I would be very surprised if he lasted that long, because James is on a downward spiral and doesn't notice it one bit.

Bringing the distraction of a new relationship on the road with you as you are in the midst of rebuilding your career is not a wise decision. Trailer trash Barbie will be traveling to every city with him, he announced during the Access Hollywood interview (he didn't use that wording, he said,'Now I've found someone to go to every city with me.'

It is exceedingly obvious that James needs a new coach if he wants to take his game to the next level, but James would rather wait for a miracle that would make that happen. He has experts like Patrick McEnroe and others advising him to make the change and he still won't do it. His stubborness is hurting his career.

There's no doubt that James has 'book sense', i.e. he is intelligent academically. But when it comes to making choices about his career, he's definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He seems to rely solely on trial and error instead of using an analytical process to develop a solid plan for his career.

For the most part, I think James will hover around the 100 mark in the rankings all the while needlessly struggling, because he is dedicated to a poor problem solving approach compounded by his unrelenting stubborness (no one tells James Blake what to do, even if they know much more than him!)

See photos of the confrontation (http://home.comcast.net/~retroarts/james/).

pablo2k1
07-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Looks like Blake's nice guy act is just that - an act. No wonder he isn't improving as his new girlfriend is distracting him. Nothing wrong with that though, as she is incredibly hot. Women are more important than tennis.

pablo2k1
07-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Also forgot to say thank you to binkygirl for the pictures and story. It's interesting to read these things that you will never hear about on the normal tennis news sites. Great to have the inside gossip from those at the scene. :yeah:

mitalidas
07-30-2005, 10:11 AM
it is very much out of character. james blake has behaved better under worse situations

G O
07-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Actually guys, you'd be very surprissed if you knew the real James. Not the gentleman many of you think. It's a case of Jekyll and Hyde I guess.

CooCooCachoo
07-30-2005, 10:33 AM
If he just says "Fucking", then that's OK. James was obviously right.

mitalidas
07-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Actually guys, you'd be very surprissed if you knew the real James. Not the gentleman many of you think. It's a case of Jekyll and Hyde I guess.
Well it really doesn't matter if the "real" blake curses off court a lot, so long as he behaves himself on court where he is on display for the public. This outburst is out of line from his oncourt behavior for the last 5 years, and thats why it is out of character.

Socket
07-30-2005, 11:49 AM
:haha: :haha:

Edit: BTW, it's Norm Chryst, not Christ.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Norm Cryst has eyesight problems, since when has this been surprising?

Rosa Luxembourg
07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
The rumor says that Norm Chryst (this is the correct sp of his last name) is the most despised chair among players, especially foreign ones. I wanted to post a separate thread on him asking a question why. Were there a lot of cases like Blakes'?

I also heard that USTA and ATP considers him THE US umpire currently, so he is hardly going anywhere even after this critisism.

I had a chance to see him in a few matches Newport and Indi. He overruled quite a lot of calls and in some cases got booed by the crowd as some of those overrules were bad ones. So I'm thinking what does it take for a chair to be demoted?

~EMiLiTA~
07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
lol! great report thanks!!!

~EMiLiTA~
07-30-2005, 12:09 PM
yeah well Marat almost always has problems with him...i was at that Aus Open match against Youzhny (i think it was last year)...where he went off his rocker at Norm and he was totally justified in doing it

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Hewitt, Roddick, Arthurs ( not a bad boy by any means) aren't exactly favourites, the bald ex-Vietnam vet likes the overrules just to get himself into the match and doesn't mind the hometown calls.

Rosa Luxembourg
07-30-2005, 12:11 PM
The rumor says that Norm Chryst (this is the correct sp of his last name) is the most despised chair among players, especially foreign ones. I wanted to post a separate thread on him asking a question why. Were there a lot of cases like Blakes'?

I also heard that USTA and ATP considers him THE US umpire currently, so he is hardly going anywhere even after this critisism.

I had a chance to see him in a few matches Newport and Indi. He overruled quite a lot of calls and in some cases got booed by the crowd as some of those overrules were bad ones. So I'm thinking what does it take for a chair to be demoted?

after re-reading this report I noticed that he actually did not overrule when he should have :haha: what a loser!

buddyholly
07-30-2005, 12:36 PM
To both James and Norm I would just say ''OK guys, keep your hair on.''

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 12:37 PM
To both James and Norm I would just say ''OK guys, keep your hair on.''

Norm's hair gets in his eyes when he makes his calls.

Saumon
07-30-2005, 12:41 PM
it's Xavier's bad influence :tape: :p

TheBoiledEgg
07-30-2005, 12:50 PM
James Blake having problems with Marat's "best friend" :rolls: :haha:

why is this not suprisiing
Umpiring version of Hitler strikes again.

TheBoiledEgg
07-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Norm's hair gets in his eyes when he makes his calls.

:haha: :tape:
now thats a line, i wanna see a player use when they question a call. :devil:

liptea
07-30-2005, 01:20 PM

Lleyton will take your mail after his honeymoon.

binkygirl
07-30-2005, 01:25 PM
:haha: :haha:

Edit: BTW, it's Norm Chryst, not Christ.

Thanks, I didn't know that! I appreciate the help!

mitalidas
07-30-2005, 01:37 PM
ironic that its malisse who stands on the sidelines while blake had his meltdown

LaTenista
07-30-2005, 01:54 PM
OMG, James!! :eek:

Of those two blonde chicks, which one's the original and which one's the clone?

I really can't believe he's dating a woman I'd describe as plastic who seems to know nothing about tennis.

Never thought I'd say this, but :hatoff: to Malisse for not getting into the confrontation.

He's already been given a WC to Cincy but if this is what I can expect to see there, I'd rather the tournament reassign it to someone else. :smash:

Socket
ironic that its malisse who stands on the sidelines while blake had his meltdown
Malisse knows that he can't even look cross-eyed at an official right now. The X-Man is a Marked Man right now.

onewoman74

I think Xman has had enough on court drama this year...maybe he wanted to watch someone else have a meltdown.

I guess James needed to let off some steam...he looks pissed. He's just standing up for himself...you can't be the nice guy all the time...plus he looks macho in front of the galpal ;)

TheBoiledEgg
07-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Xavier is on Probation :lol:
thats why he was quiet ;)

1sun
07-30-2005, 02:39 PM
someone is jealous of the blonde bombshell :yeah:

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Cursing Christ, I see only everlasting damnation in Blake's future.

sigmagirl91
07-30-2005, 02:55 PM
I think the world's coming to an end!!!

Raquel
07-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Saint James :eek: The halo is slipping again.

How many players ranked outside the top 100 have an Access Hollywood camera trailing them and asking for interviews? That's part of his problem I think. He's considered a bit of a star and a big name when his results throughout his career, even before his injury, suggest otherwise.

Deboogle!.
07-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Well, I left right after the match so I can't comment on any confrontation with Chryst, but I also imagine that James was upset still from the night before, because Norm also officiated that match and some of the calls were horrendous. But again, I can't comment, so I won't.

I will say that I think it is disgusting to blame his girlfriend for some of this. None of us know them personally, especially not the girl, and to say it is her fault is disrespectful and rude. James seems happy with her, he is a smart guy and he was raised well. Just because she's pretty and blond doesn't make her a bad person or a bad influence on James. James had made questionable decisions where his coaching and games are concerned for YEARS. Blaming some girl is just rude and judgemental, she could be the nicest person ever and just b/c she's hot and blond people are making her out to be this awful thing. And for the record I actually thought she looked like a real nice person :shrug:

And I'll just say this. It's not like it'd be the first, or last, time a really nice person has said something inappropriate to an ump in the heat of a match when they're upset. I've seen James a million times all week long and he's by far one of the nicest players I've seen. If every time a player I liked had an incident with an ump, I stopped liking the player, I'd have no favorites left :lol:

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 04:05 PM
It just goes to show that good old-fashioned female jealousy is alive and well in some quarters. Barbie gets Jamesy all to herself and I don't!, etc.

I'd better prepare for a few negative reps, I suppose.

tangerine_dream
07-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Oh my James said "fuck"? It'll be the end of his career for sure now. :yawn:

Umpiring version of Hitler strikes again.
:haha: Yep. When does Chryst not ump a match that isn't riddled with bad linecalls and overrules?

Raquel
07-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I just thought I'd post in here again to tell binkygirl that she made Tennis X's Board Watch if she didn't already know - http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2005-07-29/c.php

Nimomunz
07-30-2005, 04:23 PM
honey thats not stripper-chic that the blonde et al has on .....
quit hating!!

darnyelb
07-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, nice recap, but not getting the comments about Blake's honey...

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Yes, looking at the photographic evidence carefully, she has too strong a build for a stripper - the arms and shoulders suggest some kind of load-bearing capacity, not the erogenous gymnastics required of those in the stripping profession. Ahem.

tennischick
07-30-2005, 05:09 PM
It just goes to show that good old-fashioned female jealousy is alive and well in some quarters. Barbie gets Jamesy all to herself and I don't!, etc.

I'd better prepare for a few negative reps, I suppose.
:tape: :spit: :rolls:

now i am fascinated that not only did James say "fucking" but apparently the Saint is actually putting his money where his mouth is. :devil:

Leo
07-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Great photos!

mishar
07-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I think this is one of those posts that tell more about the poster than the player.

The insinuations about the girlfriend are really.. a little.. stalkerish. I mean, who cares and do you know her?

Plus, so the guy had an outburst against the umpire? Happens all the time. In fact, I think it's a good sign for James if he's getting more of an attitude. Imho he's too much of a nice guy out there, just happy to be healthy and playing and losing close ones to top players.

He def. has problems in his tennis. He's a better player than his ranking. On the other hand, he did lose most of last year to injury and the death of his father, so maybe it's actually pretty impressive that he's won as many matches as he has. Not everyone can be a top 20 player.

star
07-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Saint James! :eek:

:lol:

:kiss: :kiss: to the real sweetie: Xaxa! :angel:

Black Adam
07-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Hewitt, Roddick, Arthurs ( not a bad boy by any means) aren't exactly favourites, the bald ex-Vietnam vet likes the overrules just to get himself into the match and doesn't mind the hometown calls.
:lol: :sobbing: I can understand James, the same guy who make horrible line calls against you in 2 days, in singles and doubles:mad: I would like someone to kick that Umpire's ass one inorder to awaken him.

tennischick
07-30-2005, 05:52 PM
...I've seen James a million times all week long and he's by far one of the nicest players I've seen.
there's your stalker ladies and gentlemen! :devil:

ugotlobbed
07-30-2005, 05:54 PM
that girl is too old for james

Deboogle!.
07-30-2005, 06:05 PM
On the other hand, he did lose most of last year to injury and the death of his father, so maybe it's actually pretty impressive that he's won as many matches as he has. Not everyone can be a top 20 player.Hell, it's pretty impressive he can WALK again, let alone play tennis competitively. It's not often you hear a guy say that going into a netpost head first and breaking vertebrae was a good thing because he got to spend the last 6 weeks of his dad's life with him. The guy had a bad couple days, and people happened to witness it. I've witnessed him being way nice to a LOT of people almost every day for an entire week. One incident does not a bad person make. :p

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 06:59 PM
:lol: :sobbing: I can understand James, the same guy who make horrible line calls against you in 2 days, in singles and doubles:mad: I would like someone to kick that Umpire's ass one inorder to awaken him.

The sad thing is I am serious. The man is a buffoon and I think Chryst has it in his contract to make some bad calls in every tournament he officiates in.

I think he should be bought a guide dog as it might help him make better calls.

Pea
07-30-2005, 07:12 PM
It doesn't seem like the pictures did the scene justice.:p

How come these confrontations never happen when I go to tournaments!:mad:

Sjengster
07-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Just get a copy of Malisse's schedule from his website and plan your tennis travels from there, I'm sure it won't be too long before he flares up again.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 07:20 PM

If he does it a match that I am watching, then that comment will come out.

Space Cowgirl
07-30-2005, 07:20 PM
the Paris Hilton trashy lookalike who is James' current girlfriend and traveling companion from now on. She's the brassy blonde in the green top who looks like a stripper. I took those photos during James' night match against Ginepri. Brassy blonde and her friend definitely stood out from the rest of the crowd with their overly bleached hair, trowled on makeup, and nightclub attire. I honestly thought that they had to be groupies, because their look is what the French would describe as 'obvious'. Barbie looked rather bored during alot of James singles match as if she had no real clue of what was going on. She suffered from the same ennui today during James' doubles match.
IMO it's none of our business who James is with and it's a bit OTT to be using such names for her, comes across like you're a jealous teenager

Lady
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
IMO it's none of our business who James is with and it's a bit OTT to be using such names for her, comes across like you're a jealous teenager

Not to mention that looking at tghe pics I couldn't even understand why this girl was supposed to be a stripper.
She's wearing jeans and top, what a slut. :rolleyes:

Sad, sad thread starter, someone is so jealous! :rolleyes:

acoffeygirl
07-30-2005, 07:41 PM
there's your stalker ladies and gentlemen! :devil:

Well I am at the tournament too and have seen him everwhere....it is a very small venue, and laid out so that you can't help but running into the players....so I must be stalking him too!!! (oh and the Bryan Bros, Malisse and every other player) please.....just because you happen to see them around doesn't make you a stalker! It makes you.....oh my gosh...a tennis fan!

I don't even want to waste my time responding to the negative comments about James' girlfriend......jealous much?

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Norm Chyrst is the star of this thread.

Lady
07-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Well I am at the tournament too and have seen him everwhere....it is a very small venue, and laid out so that you can't help but running into the players....so I must be stalking him too!!! (oh and the Bryan Bros, Malisse and every other player) please.....just because you happen to see them around doesn't make you a stalker! It makes you.....oh my gosh...a tennis fan!

I don't even want to waste my time responding to the negative comments about James' girlfriend......jealous much?

I think tennischick was joking! ;)

sigmagirl91
07-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Lemme see:

James Blake cursed out an umpire. Nothing new, overall-just that James did it, and it grabs headlines.

That's one thing, but can we leave the bit about his traveling companion out? It sounds like someone's been consuming too much haterade. Of course, I don't know her, but the suggestion that she looks or is dumb is really out of place, considering the spirit of this thread.

Nimomunz
07-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Lemme see:

James Blake cursed out an umpire. Nothing new, overall-just that James did it, and it grabs headlines.

That's one thing, but can we leave the bit about his traveling companion out? It sounds like someone's been consuming too much haterade. Of course, I don't know her, but the suggestion that she looks or is dumb is really out of place, considering the spirit of this thread.
haterade.........wow i gotta use that in my regular life!! :worship:

Fee
07-31-2005, 12:26 AM
Well after reading this whole thread I just have to say Socket, 1sun, Sjengster, Debstah, Mishar, Space Cowgirl, Lady, acoffeygirl, and sigmagirl91... I love you all more at this moment than I can express. I'm a bit verklempt. Thanks for your posts. :D

Socket
07-31-2005, 12:36 AM
Well after reading this whole thread I just have to say Socket, 1sun, Sjengster, Debstah, Mishar, Space Cowgirl, Lady, acoffeygirl, and sigmagirl91... I love you all more at this moment than I can express. I'm a bit verklempt. Thanks for your posts. :D
You're verklempt? My grandmother would suggest bicarb for that. And a slice (maybe two) of her famous honeycake. ;)

Fee
07-31-2005, 12:53 AM
sounds yummy, send it over (but not the bicarb - what is that anyway?- I'll just use Dr Pepper or Bass Ale instead).

(I can't rep you at the moment, I'm sure you're wrecked about it, but I'll get you someday my pretty!).

Socket
07-31-2005, 01:52 AM
sounds yummy, send it over (but not the bicarb - what is that anyway?- I'll just use Dr Pepper or Bass Ale instead).
Bicarb is for when your tummy gets the way it gets when you get verklempt. :D
(I can't rep you at the moment, I'm sure you're wrecked about it, but I'll get you someday my pretty!).
Please do, an unrepentant Hewitt apologist like me needs all the good reps I can get. ;)

sigmagirl91
07-31-2005, 01:59 AM
haterade.........wow i gotta use that in my regular life!! :worship:

Just don't drink the green stuff! :D

sigmagirl91
07-31-2005, 01:59 AM

Verklempt, huh? Ok, I'll take it.

Iheartandy&roger
07-31-2005, 02:54 AM
:lol: :eek: Wow I guess everyone gets mad sometimes..... :lol:

binkygirl
07-31-2005, 07:48 AM
It doesn't seem like the pictures did the scene justice.:p

How come these confrontations never happen when I go to tournaments!:mad:

I didn't have time to get my cellphone out to record it all on video. You all would have been stunned if you could have seen video of what happened. The remainder of the crowd was fairly aghast, including some people from Yonkers, NY who were there to see James in particular.

I'm not jealous of Barbie, I'm pretty and have far nicer clothes than hers.

binkygirl
07-31-2005, 07:51 AM

I'm entitled to have an opinion.

yonexforever
07-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Nomr Christ is a HOMO and probably has the hots for Ginepri!

avocadoe
07-31-2005, 01:20 PM
I think James was well within the bounds of good behavior, that is, looking at the pictures, he kept a respectful non-threatening distance and his face is relaxed/angry, not contorted with rage. Who knows about his gf. She's got a great bod and pretty enuf, too. Maybe she is good for him. Should he play smarter? YES!!! Should someone help him towards that? YES...maybe Brad Gilbert?

1sun
07-31-2005, 02:19 PM
no worries ;) people take things too seriously these days...

SwissMister1
07-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Nothing wrong with James bringing his girl around with him. I don't really think at all that having someone around with you on tour is a distraction. After all, as Andre once said, "It's not the sex before a match that tires you out, it is spending all night out looking for it."

Deboogle!.
07-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Should he play smarter? YES!!! Should someone help him towards that? YES...maybe Brad Gilbert?You know that's funny, I was saying to Amber yesterday that as much as I dislike Brad, he'd be the type of coach who could seriously help James a LOT, I think. I think James is too loyal to his current coach though, who he's had forever.

Nimomunz
07-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Nothing wrong with James bringing his girl around with him. I don't really think at all that having someone around with you on tour is a distraction. After all, as Andre once said, "It's not the sex before a match that tires you out, it is spending all night out looking for it."
haha thats so true! But i doubt most tennis stars have to go trolling the bars picking up chics with bogus lines!!

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 05:03 PM
haha thats so true! But i doubt most tennis stars have to go trolling the bars picking up chics with bogus lines!!

Unless they are Vince Spadea.

SwissMister1
07-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Unless they are Vince Spadea.

He doesn't need lines, the trucker hat with the huge flag patch brings in all the ladies.

Deboogle!.
07-31-2005, 06:04 PM
He doesn't need lines, the trucker hat with the huge flag patch brings in all the ladies.no no no it's the trucker hat with his name in big capital letters in like ghetto font that brings in all the ladies;)

acoffeygirl
07-31-2005, 06:12 PM
no no no it's the trucker hat with his name in big capital letters in like ghetto font that brings in all the ladies;)

:haha: :haha: Too True!!

Geniey2g
07-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Just get a copy of Malisse's schedule from his website and plan your tennis travels from there, I'm sure it won't be too long before he flares up again.
LOL!

bully
07-31-2005, 11:28 PM

I'd be interested for you to elaborate on the real james for us ???

YoursTruly
08-01-2005, 04:15 AM
It doesn't change good old Blake. I don't blame him, he's been through too much in the past year so he was bound to erupt sooner or later.

Action Jackson
08-01-2005, 07:42 AM
no no no it's the trucker hat with his name in big capital letters in like ghetto font that brings in all the ladies;)

Vinny Ice knows how to get it done. :)

Experimentee
08-01-2005, 03:10 PM
I think this is one of those posts that tell more about the poster than the player.

The insinuations about the girlfriend are really.. a little.. stalkerish. I mean, who cares and do you know her?

Plus, so the guy had an outburst against the umpire? Happens all the time. In fact, I think it's a good sign for James if he's getting more of an attitude. Imho he's too much of a nice guy out there, just happy to be healthy and playing and losing close ones to top players.

He def. has problems in his tennis. He's a better player than his ranking. On the other hand, he did lose most of last year to injury and the death of his father, so maybe it's actually pretty impressive that he's won as many matches as he has. Not everyone can be a top 20 player.

I agree with all of the above :yeah:

Its funny, I bet James is the only player where if he said 'fucking' its worthy of a thread because its that shocking :lol:

Experimentee
08-01-2005, 03:16 PM
I respect James for being loyal to his coach, he's been with him since he was about 12 and understandably doesnt want to just abandon him after all hes done. Its not like his results are terrible either, he is winning matches and his ranking is rising. He was much lower at the start of the year and the only reason he is ranked this low is because he was interrupted by long injuries/illnesses.

Deboogle!.
08-01-2005, 10:22 PM
I respect James for being loyal to his coach, he's been with him since he was about 12 and understandably doesnt want to just abandon him after all hes done. Its not like his results are terrible either, he is winning matches and his ranking is rising. He was much lower at the start of the year and the only reason he is ranked this low is because he was interrupted by long injuries/illnesses.oh, absolutely. I didn't mean to insinuate his results are awful. But the thing is, he's had the same problems in his game forever. I just think a new voice would help with that. Maybe not get rid of his current coach but bring someone else in to work with them or something? I just feel like he has too much talent to sit back and just keep with the status quo.

Nimomunz
08-01-2005, 10:39 PM
I respect James for being loyal to his coach, he's been with him since he was about 12 and understandably doesnt want to just abandon him after all hes done. Its not like his results are terrible either, he is winning matches and his ranking is rising. He was much lower at the start of the year and the only reason he is ranked this low is because he was interrupted by long injuries/illnesses.
well thats also a problem most tennis players like fed, safin et al leave their childhood coach behind due to the mix up of emotions!! safin left raphael mensua (sp) because he became like a father to him!1

bully
08-01-2005, 10:40 PM
I just think a new voice would help with that. Maybe not get rid of his current coach but bring someone else in to work with them or something? I just feel like he has too much talent to sit back and just keep with the status quo.

my thoughts exactly. He has proven he has the talent but is not able to string it all together... so to speak

i say new coach

mishar
03-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Certainly, to err is human, but today's behavior from James was out of character. He appears to be turning a corner in his career and its not in the right direction, when you factor in all the other elements:

He's not improving as a player. Granted, he did have horrible health problems last year and missed alot of time on the tour, but even before that, his results could have been better based on the amount of talent he possesses. Its not fun watching him struggle so badly. He's at the level where he has all the shots, but absolutely no clue at how to successfully strategize and put them together for victory. As he was being interviewed by Access Hollywood on the grounds today, he mentioned playing until he was 32 or 33. I would be very surprised if he lasted that long, because James is on a downward spiral and doesn't notice it one bit.

It is exceedingly obvious that James needs a new coach if he wants to take his game to the next level, but James would rather wait for a miracle that would make that happen. He has experts like Patrick McEnroe and others advising him to make the change and he still won't do it. His stubborness is hurting his career.

For the most part, I think James will hover around the 100 mark in the rankings all the while needlessly struggling, because he is dedicated to a poor problem solving approach compounded by his unrelenting stubborness (no one tells James Blake what to do, even if they know much more than him!)

Bump! Guess James knew best after all??

Actually, maybe we can cite this argument with Norm Chryst as the moment when James turned his career around!! :scared:

After the loss to Ginepri, he went on to reach the final in washington, win four titles, and go 40-10... all because he used the word "fucking!"

LeeHesh
03-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Bump! Guess James knew best after all??

Actually, maybe we can cite this argument with Norm Chryst as the moment when James turned his career around!! :scared:

After the loss to Ginepri, he went on to reach the final in washington, win four titles, and go 40-10... all because he used the word "fucking!"

Haha!!
It's always fun to laugh at idiotic prophecies, especially when they arise from spite.

And WTF about James being "intelligent academically"? WTF does that even mean???
James spends all his time reading the freaking Illiad?

tangerine_dream
03-18-2006, 04:19 PM
:lol: Thanks for reminding us all what a clueless idiot binkgirl really is.

BelgianWaffle
03-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Xavier is on Probation :lol:
thats why he was quiet ;)
:lol:

zimzim
03-18-2006, 04:30 PM
After the loss to Ginepri, he went on to reach the final in washington, win four titles, and go 40-10... all because he used the word "fucking!" :rolls:

Kip
03-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Well it really doesn't matter if the "real" blake curses off court a lot, so long as he behaves himself on court where he is on display for the public. This outburst is out of line from his oncourt behavior for the last 5 years, and thats why it is out of character.

Every think he was just better at
keeping it in then as his star wasn't
rising or burning as bright as it is right now?

athie
03-18-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm entitled to have an opinion.
Indeed you are, it's just that it's a pathetic one :rolleyes: