How far can Andy go in the US Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How far can Andy go in the US Open?

MurrayFan1
07-29-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking hopfully the 4th Round if he can get a good draw, but we've already seen he can beat very high ranked players like Taylor Dent and Radek Stepanek, so who knows :)

jmgsdoubsprtnr
07-29-2005, 06:11 PM
i don't really know... the crowds can be really tough at the USO, especially if he's against an american. i'm hoping he can get far, but i have a feeling that he might choke in an early round. :sad:

jmgsdoubsprtnr
oh, and prove me wrong, Andy!!!

Wojtek
Second round

MurrayFan1
07-29-2005, 06:15 PM
i don't really know... the crowds can be really tough at the USO, especially if he's against an american. i'm hoping he can get far, but i have a feeling that he might choke in an early round. :sad:

But if he's against an american, there's a lot of pressure on the american as it's his home tournament, plus as Murray is only up and coming this emphasizes this a lot more

partygirl
07-29-2005, 06:21 PM
you know what id like to see....

ANDY VS. ANDY . :eek:

tennisgirl19
07-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Andy vs. Andy would be awesome :bounce: lol

I think that I can better predict how far he will go when the draw is released. Right now its kind of tough for me to judge.

Hopefully he will playing when I go so you know I might be one of the only people there rooting for him. :banana:

MurrayFan1
07-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Lol no it wouldnt i can just see it now.......6-0 6-0 6-0, and you don't have to be a genius to see what Andy i'm thinking will in, and yes you will be able to predict how far Andy will go when the draw is released, thats a good piont :)

shyscots25
07-30-2005, 12:10 AM
The thing we have to remember is that Andy isn't even guaranteed a spot in the US Open at all yet. He will have to be granted a wildcard to the main draw (which has not been confirmed, or likely?) or will have to go through the pressure of qualifying.

We all want him to do well but until we know for sure if he will be in the main draw and then what his likely opponents will be this is all pure speculation!

Still, let's hope he does well. Round 3 again and Andy will be well within the top 100 by the end of the year!

ClaycourtaZzZz.
07-30-2005, 08:05 AM
sure, but he has chances to do it better, just to ask for a WC in Montreal and Cincy and his ranking will rise even if he can't make the 2nd round.

Then he should rest a week and go to the US Open as a top100 player.

He now needs exactly 131pts for the nr.100 spot.
better 150 pts= He should at least make a QF this would bring him 125 pts and then 2nd round of cincy and we have a new top100 player. I think he'll get into Montreal but into Cincy..? Maybe he'll get a WC for qualy... Or he could play a challenger after Montreal and get some points there. He needs those points to get away from challengers, like Nadal did years ago.

chalkdust
07-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Can someone explain the situation with the Pilot Pen in New Haven? Andy is on the Alternates List. I think he is a long way down the list but, hypothetically, if lots of people withdrew, would that mean he would be obliged to play the tournament or else not play ANY tournament? Since the Pilot Pen is the week before the US Open, this would prevent Andy from playing in the US Open qualifying.

I am wondering about this because it is surely quite likely that a number of players who are slated to play in New Haven will decide to pull out in order to rest before the Open, secure in the knowledge that they have a direct entry into the Open and therefore do not have to worry about not being able to play the qualies.

BTW, is there a faq somewhere that deals with the rules for tournament entry? I'm looking for something a bit more accessible and concise than the ATP Rule Book!

MurrayFan1
07-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Supposedly he's already got a widcard for qualifying for the US Open, but i would have thought somehow he'd get into the tournament the way he's going

ClaycourtaZzZz.
07-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I think if Andy gets into New Haven he would pull out...