WTF! Hawiaan Forehand Grip!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WTF! Hawiaan Forehand Grip!!!

Rex
07-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Someone explain- i have never seen theis grip being used before.

Does any body know who uses this type of grip?

http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/fhgripclosewt_5.htm

Check it out!!!

propi
07-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Someone explain- i have never seen theis grip being used before.

Does any body know who uses this type of grip?

http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/fhgripclosewt_5.htm

Check it out!!!
you never saw Berasategui playing, did you??
Alberto :worship::worship:

CooCooCachoo
07-29-2005, 10:22 AM

I miss him :(

Action Jackson
07-29-2005, 10:23 AM

Vamos Berasategui what a guy.

Action Jackson
07-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Here is a pic of the great grip.

http://www.advantage-tennis.com/albertob/ab9.jpg

Rex
07-29-2005, 11:18 AM
wow- i never saw the player- but the grip does look a little wierd. Did he win many titles.

propi
07-29-2005, 11:36 AM
wow- i never saw the player- but the grip does look a little wierd. Did he win many titles.
He won 14 tournies, all on clay.
He also played 9 finals including a GS... Roland Garros'94, he lost in 4 against another great player, Sergi Bruguera:worship::worship:.
That year he won 8 tournaments, reached his best ranking (7) and played the Masters cup.

Action Jackson
07-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Retired early due to various injuries.

1sun
07-29-2005, 02:22 PM
wow, thats sum funky shit

Jennay
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
:retard: It looks so awkward.

Rex
07-29-2005, 02:47 PM
wow- he had a good career then....... on the clay of course

tennischick
07-29-2005, 02:56 PM
there is a girl in my club who uses this grip. it creates a lot of topspin but her backhand sucks bec re-adjusting takes so long that she rarely changes the grip in time. her knees are shot to hell but i'm not sure that that has anything to do with the grip.

Pea
07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
I cringe at any Berasategui picture.

nermo
07-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Oh yes, Berasategui ..he was very good on clay , technically and powerfully ..and i still remember him being a big surprise doing very well and reaching the final at RG 1994..but i guess that was his biggest achievement in his career..he retired at the age of 27 i guess..

Leo
07-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Never saw him play but wow, what a grip!

Raquel
07-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Alberto :worship: :hearts:

I started a thread about Alberto in the Blast from the Past forum ages ago. His 1994 was great. He won clay court events everywhere from about March-November. Even when he was top 10 he was playing small clay events in Athens and Palermo. I think that grip may have hurt him in the long run though especially as he hit his backhand and forehand with the same side of the racket. He was almost unique on tour in that way.

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Thats some ill shit!

I think iam in danger! Does i play a hawaiian Grip??
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4200/thumb0325tu.jpg

There are ways to strengthen the forearms and wrists, that don't include masturbation.

Well the thing is the deception on the forehand with this is very good as the most opponents can't read it very well, though clowns playing that wimpy slice might irritate you.

deflori
07-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah,slices are not good for every Westernhitter,but on clay its ok,hall is harder to play...
But is it a hawaiian or not?? perhaps it isnt a western??

Action Jackson
07-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah,slices are not good for every Westernhitter,but on clay its ok,hall is harder to play...
But is it a hawaiian or not?? perhaps it isnt a western??

It's unique and you're playing on clay and are you comfortable hitting it?

Btw, thanks for the Kitzi pics they were top notch.

Jim Jones
07-30-2005, 01:33 PM
what is important to note is that Berasategui would hit his shots with the reverse side of the racket. It really looked out of the ordinary when he would hit the ball. His whole body would shake up. A pity there is no film to show here on how he played.

madmanfool
07-30-2005, 02:22 PM
yeah, it's nothing new
basically, you hold your racket the way you play a backhand (not all flat off course)
and you play a forehand with the same grip

i've seen local players do it too, it's not that special

deflori
07-30-2005, 08:26 PM
I think its special;)
Dont know many on tour for example who hit it like that..
Guga plays it one time,but changed it a bit for faster courts..
@Whit
Yes i play my forehand only like that - but is it a western or hawaiian?

Auscon
07-31-2005, 10:56 AM
never seen it before...might have to check out one of Alberto's matches

looks like it'd be really tough to read

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes i play my forehand only like that - but is it a western or hawaiian?

All I know is I have a strange grip, but not quite like that, at the same time is it comfortable to hit?

Action Jackson
07-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Alberto :worship: :hearts:

I started a thread about Alberto in the Blast from the Past forum ages ago. His 1994 was great. He won clay court events everywhere from about March-November. Even when he was top 10 he was playing small clay events in Athens and Palermo. I think that grip may have hurt him in the long run though especially as he hit his backhand and forehand with the same side of the racket. He was almost unique on tour in that way.

I never knew you were sweet on the Bilbao man?

He did beat Rafter and Agassi at the AO that was great. Rafter was trying to hit these huge kickers to Berasategui backhand and Alberto was returning them with 2 hands and they were effective.

YoursTruly
08-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Berasategui was a great player and had an entertaining game. Has it been 5 years already since he retired? Wow. Anyways, he was known for clay court expertise and that super western grip. And that forehand was so huge that it seemed painful to hit it that way and that hard with that kind of grip. I think Berasategui and Anke Huber hold the titles for Most Western Grip.

GlennMirnyi
06-30-2006, 12:34 AM
That's beyond anti-tennis...

physics
07-06-2006, 03:18 AM
What an ugly grip. It's just disgusting to look at. How the helk can any pace be generated with that? And it looks painful just to hold.

Jim Courier
07-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I play with that grip, and it is very comfortable. My wrist never hurted at all, and if you think you can't generate pace with it you probably have never seen it in action. It is indeed difficult to read, and great for passing shots and hammering the other side of the court.
Defensively, you can hit "baseline lobs", balls with so much topspin that they are sometimes winners especially on a small court.
The downside to this grip is that playing volleys or forehand slices feels very unnatural, when you're used to hitting with the wrong side. Playing a good slicer is very tough (i mean for Mr everybody, not Bera).
And the grip is so far from a slice grip that when i have to do a defensive running forehand slice with little time, i have to hit it without changing grip but with the hand's palm facing backwards, looks weird but it works well and can do some surprising crosscourt defensive dropshots.

Berasategui's forehand was incredibly powerful, and he could hit impossible angles. He was immensly enjoyable to watch for a baseliner, his forehand could overpower anything and the backhand was very solid and looked weird as hell too, it went from two-handed to one-handed at the last instant, and with that wrong side grip. He wasn't a big server, but in 94 i think he won all his first week match points with an ace. Too bad his career at the highest level was so short :worship:
My all-time favourite shot is one of his jaw dropping forehand return crosscourt winners, when i say crosscourt i mean almost parrallel to the net from a just bit inside the court, a shot you would think was only possible in ping-pong, i probably slow-motionned that shot like 50 times at the time.

I also play the backhand with the same side, i couldn't believe it when i saw Alberto the first time that a pro would play with my self-teached freak grip.

andreevforehand
07-16-2008, 03:58 AM
Someone said injuries contributed to his retirement. Elbow injuries perhaps? I'm curious because I play w a western grip and have elbow problems. This guy is fun to watch though even though you really can't see the ball on youtube. I wish I could've seen that "parallel" forehand. I've messed around with this grip and it's a lot of fun, but unfortunately w my elbow I don't think it's a very good option.

fast_clay
07-16-2008, 11:03 PM
I think iam in danger!
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4200/thumb0325tu.jpg

yes... your elbow is... its out there with your contact point... not good...
the racquet head should lag behind your wrist a lot.. yes.. but, not behind your elbow that far as well...

again... just an opinion mate... everyone has one... and, i also must balance what i say by saying that, if you are extremely relaxed at impactand are letting the racquet take control of the shot fully there is every chance what i said dont apply...

like the bus crash, those awake die... those asleep survive... why? tension... thats the real injury causer...

i can suggest something to help you if you like...?

this can happen with extreme western grips from a young age when the bounce of the ball is comparatively high to a young body... it should be, under guidance, corrected at a later age...

Kolya
07-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I play with a pretty extreme western grip and have no problems with it.

With low slices you just need to get down to it and whip it up with a lot of wrist.

sheeter
07-19-2008, 04:04 PM
i played a person who used this grip, he had some crazy whip over his forehand and hit it pretty hard and reasonably topspun. Nice guy, but didn't like playing against variety.

henwal_of_sweden
07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Finally some talk about my missing hero, Alberto Berasategui. Back in the days I used to buy the clothes he was wearing and also had the same PC600 racket which at that time was killing my game since i was still pretty much a beginner.

Here are some nice videos from the tube showing our hero playing:

VS Courier in Nice, France: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_QaR4NFpgs

VS Agassi in AO 1998: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YotDZDArC3M

Vamos Alberto!

Shame he had to retire! From what I remember he had some kind of sickness that made his legs cramp very fast.