Anyone play guitar? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anyone play guitar?

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-29-2005, 04:22 AM
To whom it may concern...

Hi! I just received a guitar as a present. I wanted to know if anyone else played guitar and can respond to some things I've been wondering about

....I have had the guitar for a week. I haven't had lessons. But I have fooled around with it and can play very simply Ben Harper's Another Lonely Day while singing the song at the same time. I think this is quite an accomplishment considering I suck at multitasking. But I wanted someone that is a guitar pro to confirm that that is quite an accomplish. Hehe. Is it? Anyone?

And I really really want to improve. It was a present b/c I write a lot of songs and my friend knew how much I wanted to have actual music with my songs and surprised me. So is it very advantageous to go and get lessons? Where are the best places to get lessons? A book? or tutor? ...anything else

+alonso
07-29-2005, 04:32 AM
i want to learn :( sorry i don't know how to play a guitar :p but i have to fix mine ;)

Chloe le Bopper
07-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi Mrs Guga!

No, I don't play guitar. I just wanted to bother you in your thread. :p

jackieglover
07-29-2005, 05:52 AM
I tried to learn back in high school like 9 years ago, but it was a total disaster. Good luck, I'd suggest getting lessons if you are serious about getting good. :wavey:

+alonso
07-29-2005, 05:54 AM
Hi Mrs Guga!

No, I don't play guitar. I just wanted to bother you in your thread. :p

:lol: you makes me laugh so hard :lol:

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-29-2005, 06:35 AM
man, you all are good for nothing... lol :p

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-29-2005, 06:50 AM
i think this is a very interesting post. Why was it a disaster for you? What would you say were the most frustrating things when playing a guitar?

I tried to learn back in high school like 9 years ago, but it was a total disaster. Good luck, I'd suggest getting lessons if you are serious about getting good. :wavey:

Ferrero Forever
07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
To whom it may concern...

Hi! I just received a guitar as a present. I wanted to know if anyone else played guitar and can respond to some things I've been wondering about

....I have had the guitar for a week. I haven't had lessons. But I have fooled around with it and can play very simply Ben Harper's Another Lonely Day while singing the song at the same time. I think this is quite an accomplishment considering I suck at multitasking. But I wanted someone that is a guitar pro to confirm that that is quite an accomplish. Hehe. Is it? Anyone?

And I really really want to improve. It was a present b/c I write a lot of songs and my friend knew how much I wanted to have actual music with my songs and surprised me. So is it very advantageous to go and get lessons? Where are the best places to get lessons? A book? or tutor? ...anything else
Well I don't play Guitar, but I play Piano and Organ and I have a lot of friends who play guitar so I might be able to help. I take music lessons and I find that if you have the determination and motivation to take lessons then it would be extremely beneficial to you, because you get told how you can improve which is really helpful. I prefer the one on one lesson approach, it's more personal though it can be more expensive (i pay $20 australian dollars for a half hour lesson.) But on the other hand my best friend has been playing electric guitar without tuition, only using books for 1.5 years and he is extremely good. He's really motivated and spends all his time trying to improve rather than revising the old stuff. He tries to learn the theory side too, even though it is unnecessay, but he just wants to know whats behind the music to get a better understanding of things. So really it's up to you, but I hope I've been of some help. You will improve either way if you just stay motivated and determined.

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-30-2005, 07:08 AM
thanks, that actually helps a lot. i might just take a guitar class when i go back to school in the fall, but a private lesson would be fine as well as you say. Even though, when it comes to performing, one would have to not be shy. LOL. Not like I want to be the next Jewel. But I wouldn't mind being discovered. Remember my name.... pfft

Ferrero Forever
07-30-2005, 11:33 AM
i find at school they don't teach you the proper way and they just give you enough knowledge so that you can muck around with a few tunes. I don't know how it is where you live, but here music in schools *or at least in my school* is hopeless. Right now I'm playing at a higher standard than my music teacher, so hopefully where you live is different. And confidence in performing comes naturally as you get better. As you get better you want people to hear you play and then you just develop a thirst for performing. I used to be really shy, but now I go into the department store and start playing just so people can hear me lol. You get people coming up to you and complementing you which really boosts your confidence. Be warned though, the performances might boost your confidence, but practising can destroy it very easily when you get frustrated when you get something wrong. It's something you're really going to have to think about seriously. And one more thing, don't settle for a crappy teacher, even if they're cheap because you'll end up hating music. I did that with my first teacher and she made me hate it, but now I've got a fantastic music and he's my idol in life, so just be weary of that too.

Mrs. B
07-30-2005, 03:08 PM
learn the basic chords and the minor chords. start with strumming, simple tunes you can combine 3 chords. if you're into songwriting its easy to combine say, A, D and E, or G, C and F or D, G and A or minor like Am, Dm then E.
i would get a tutor say for 10 lessons just to show you the basics, then practice practice practice...
do you have nylon strings in your guitar or steel? make sure your nails are short and the tip of your fingers will be a bit sore but they'll toughen up the more you play.

jackieglover
07-30-2005, 03:12 PM
i think this is a very interesting post. Why was it a disaster for you? What would you say were the most frustrating things when playing a guitar?

All I remember being able to play was the beginning of some Smashing Pumpkins' songs, anything else, and I just lost focus and lacked the talent.

Washa Koroleva
07-30-2005, 04:05 PM
I play!
Not too good, though.
I play Nothing else matters by Metallica (but only to the middle coz it gets too hard).
I play Knocking on Heaven's door and stuff I learned in Music School like Country Roads. The sound of guitars is simply amazing. Especially Eric Clapton's guitar sound.

greathands
07-31-2005, 09:08 PM
I do play guitar. I took classical guitar for almost 15 years in some fine programs. Classical lessons gave me the technique and discipline to play any other genre with only some stylistic modifications. I strongly suggest lessons! Enjoy! Work hard and it will pay off!

cobalt60
07-31-2005, 11:42 PM
Have a great time learning! Do you play any other instruments? Since you write your own songs I assume you can read music? If you do, then you should have an easier time of it. Anyway I play piano mostly but as teen/young adult picked up the guitar. Mrs. B is right- start slow with chords and you should also be able to pick up a book that teaches where each note is for picking. Lessons will be helpful to keep on track but practise is key. Best of luck!

sol
08-01-2005, 01:09 AM
I play acoustic guitar but not that well :shrug:

musefanatic
08-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I play acoustic a bit and I am getting an electric guitar for xmas but my parents made the mistake of getting me it now and putting it in a cupboard and now I am itching to play it! :)

Carito_90
08-02-2005, 02:00 AM
I play acustic guitar a little. I mean if you give me some chords to play I can play them alright and sing along and everything but... yeah that's all :lol:
I recommend you to take classes or, if you are really good at learning by yourself, you can buy a book that teaches you how to play, but I don't know if I'd recommend it that much since you can't know if you're playing alright and stuff, with a one-to-one profesor it's more personal and you can learn faster. That's what I did and when I quitted I just started learning a bit by myself and practising. Practise practise practise, as much as you can. Once you've taken quite a number of classes and if you're quite good at it you can simply quit that and practise by yourself ;)
Hope that helps!

J. Corwin
08-02-2005, 02:50 AM
I can play a little bit...and by that, I really mean just a little bit lol. I tried to learn by myself. :)

When I was around 8...I went the piano route. :lol:

Sorry I've been useless in this thread. :p

its.like.that
08-02-2005, 06:46 AM
I play accoustic :)

Gonzo Hates Me!
08-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Wow, I do some travelling and come back and now all of a sudden everyone plays guitar! Thanks all. I read all the posts last nite. I don't know what to say besides I appreciate all the insight, advice, wisdom and encouragement. I am serious about getting better.

I will probably take a class at school, as well as have my awesome friend help me because he's my token guitar-playing friend. LOL And someone said I could probably read music well since I write a lot of songs. Not exactly. Heh, I can't really read music very well, but I took a voice class, so I will remember what I learned from that and get better at reading music as well.

Thanks and happy musical endeavours to all :D