Please return my stake from the Dent-Ginepri match. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Please return my stake from the Dent-Ginepri match.

its.like.that
07-25-2005, 07:24 AM
These were the rules stated in the betting thread:

"Who will win this match? This market will be closed at the stated time. If a player retires before completing this match, and the retiring player was leading the match at the point of retirement, all bets will be void and stakes returned. If a player retires before a set has been completed, all bets will be void and states returned. You must be logged in as a registered member to place bets using your vCash (Virtual Cash)."

In this match, Dent retired, and he was not in the lead, there is nothing in the rules stating what should happen upon this outcome. However, the rules do state "If a player retires before a set has been completed all bets will be void" - in this case the 3rd set was not complete, so according to these rules, my stake should be returned. Although, I think that you meant "if players retire before the first set has been completed..." - but that is not what the rules stated.

The reason most bookies invoke the "all bets are void unless match is complete" rule, is to avoid potential losses from suspect matches such as the one yesterday.

After breaking Ginepri, then holding serve to win the first set 6-4, Dent only won a handful of points in the match from then on - while losing 9 straight games, before retiring.

There are also various conflicting interpretations that could be taken from the phrase: "the retiring player was leading the match at the point of retirement".

Is this leading in terms of sets? in terms of current gamescore? all three of those? in terms of points won in the match? in terms of whose way the tide of the match is at the point of retirement?

and if it is in terms of games, if sets are level, and the player serving first holds serve, does that mean that they are in the lead? or do they have to break their opponents serve to be in the lead?

and if gamescore is level, and one player has more points than the other in the next game, ie, 15-0, does that mean that that player is in the lead?

NATAS81
07-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Dent was down a break, give it up bud.

bad gambler
07-25-2005, 07:27 AM
lol, nice try jim - i tried this last year but to no avail :sad:

its.like.that
07-25-2005, 07:29 AM
lol, nice try jim - i tried this last year but to no avail :sad:
read the rules, nothing states that I should lose my bet, nothing at all! :sad: