Terror strikes again - this time in Egypt [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Terror strikes again - this time in Egypt

Nimrodg
07-23-2005, 12:12 AM
CAIRO, Egypt, Jul 22, 2005 (AP WorldStream via COMTEX) -- At least two large explosions rocked the Egyptian tourist resort of Sharm el-Sheik in the Sinai Peninsula late Friday and a hotel was heavily damaged, witnesses said. The blasts shook windows far from the site and smoke was visible rising from the area, witnesses said. There was no immediate word on casualties.

One blast hit the Ghazala Gardens hotel, a four-star resort on the main tourist strip in the Naama Bay area od Sharm el-Sheik, witnesses said. A second blast was heard in the Old Market, another Sharm neighborhood.

"The hotel was completely burned down, destroyed," said Amal Mustafa, 28, an Egyptian who was visiting Sharm with her family and who drove by the Ghazala Gardens. Khaled Sakran, a Sharm resident, said he saw the first blast from the Old Market. "I saw the saw the fire in the sky," he said. "Right after, I saw a light in the sky and heard another explosion, coming from Naama Bay." He ssaid he believed there was also a third blast.

Lots of israelis and tourists are in this area, hope that everbody are OK :sad: :sad: :sad:

jenanun
07-23-2005, 01:04 AM
what the hell is going on in the world???????

Nimrodg
07-23-2005, 01:19 AM
what the hell is going on in the world???????

I guess that bin laden is bored lately :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

At least 36 killed in the attack till now :sad:

Haute
07-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Blasts Rock Egyptian Resort, Killing at Least 36
Witness Says One Hotel Was 'Completely Burned Down, Destroyed'
By LEE KEATH, AP

CAIRO, Egypt (July 22) - As many as seven explosions, including at least four car bombs, struck the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheik early Saturday, hitting several hotels packed with foreign and Egyptian tourists and killing at least 36 people, witnesses and police said.

Saturday's explosions at 1:15 a.m. shook windows more than five miles away. Smoke and fire rose from Naama Bay, a main strip of beach hotels in the desert city popular with Israeli and European tourists, witnesses said.

At least four car bombs were used in the attacks, said a security official in the operations control room in Cairo monitoring the crisis. One went off in the driveway of the Ghazala Garden hotel, a 176-room four-star resort on the main strip of hotels in Naama Bay, the official said.

''The hotel was completely burned down, destroyed,'' said Amal Mustafa, 28, an Egyptian who was visiting with her family and drove by the Ghazala Gardens.

Another exploded in the Old Market, a few miles away, killing 17 people - believed to be Egyptians - sitting at a nearby outdoor coffee shop. Three minibuses were set ablaze, though it was not clear if they were carrying passengers, the official said.

Khaled Sakran, a resident, said he saw the first blast from the Old Market. ''I saw the fire in the sky,'' he said. ''Right after, I saw a light in the sky and heard another explosion, coming from Naama Bay.'' He said he believed there was also a third explosion.

A police official in Sharm el-Sheik said at least 36 people were killed and 150 wounded in what may have been as many as seven blasts, three in Naamah Bay and four in the Old Market.

AP-NY-07-22-05 20:49 EDT

When are things going to change? :sad:

Haute
07-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Meanwhile, this isn't being covered on the US news networks. CNN has Tammy Faye Baker :rolleyes, MSNBC has some story about cereal foods..., and Fox News has people bickering over what qualifies as offensive art. All apparently more important than covering this story. But something in happens in London, and it's automatically breaking news. :rolleyes:

Yoel and co.
07-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Not too many Israelis in Sharem, it is mainly a place for wealthy Egyptians and divers. Interesting that this was chosen, as it is the first time (I think) that an Arab target was bombed.

Nimrodg
07-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Not too many Israelis in Sharem, it is mainly a place for wealthy Egyptians and divers. Interesting that this was chosen, as it is the first time (I think) that an Arab target was bombed.

So far no israelis got hurted. but i heard that some brits and other tourists did.

Yoel and co.
07-23-2005, 09:58 AM
There will be some Brits or Germans there (especially this time of year) but mainly Egyptians IMO, which makes this even more irregular, but then a couple of weeks ago the Egyptian embassador in Iraq was kidnapped and killed, so maybe these things are connected

Nimrodg
07-23-2005, 10:03 AM
There will be some Brits or Germans there (especially this time of year) but mainly Egyptians IMO, which makes this even more irregular, but then a couple of weeks ago the Egyptian embassador in Iraq was kidnapped and killed, so maybe these things are connected

I heard that the main target was egyptians. The group who responsible for this are related to al-qaeda and they want to damage the tourism in arab nations that are in-touch with western nations

its.like.that
07-23-2005, 10:37 AM
complete lack of interest from the Western Media... most of my friends havent even heard about it :rolleyes:

Nimrodg
07-23-2005, 12:58 PM
complete lack of interest from the Western Media... most of my friends havent even heard about it :rolleyes:

This is totally a joke. the western media thinks that one man that killed in london by the police is more important than 83(!!!).

Yoel and co.
07-23-2005, 01:57 PM
I heard that the main target was egyptians. The group who responsible for this are related to al-qaeda and they want to damage the tourism in arab nations that are in-touch with western nations

If that is their goal, they are on the right way. Brits loved Sharem but I can't see them going back at least for a year or two, even if London does not seem much safer now

Denaon
07-23-2005, 04:04 PM
OMFG, I cannot believe this shit again :sad: MY heart to the egypcians, and I really hope all my egyp friends of MTF are ok :sad:

Haute
07-23-2005, 06:52 PM
This is totally a joke. the western media thinks that one man that killed in london by the police is more important than 83(!!!).

CNN tops this last night... an interview with Tammy Faye Baker about how she has cancer for the third time...they didn't show it once, but twice! It was the same thing with Madrid too. Apparently American media doesn't consider these attacks as important unless it's occurring in London. :rolleyes:

Anyway, latest I've heard now is the death toll is up to 88, at least 199 wounded.

"One car was packed with 660 pounds of explosives and slammed into the reception of the Ghazala Garden Hotel, officials said. The second bomb weighed about 440 pounds and exploded in a nearby area called the Old Market." :eek:

*Ljubica*
07-23-2005, 07:01 PM

We're getting loads of TV coverage here - presumably because Sharm el-Sheikh has loads of British tourists at this time of year - it's the first week of the school holidays here and many people have gone abroad to "escape" our own problems. Already 2 Brits have been reported killed, 2 more seriously injured (jnlcuidng a girl of only 16), and many more British people less seriously injured. They are also saying German, Dutch, French and Russian tourists are among the dead as well as Egyptrians and Saudis. We live in a very tragic world.

its.like.that
07-24-2005, 12:21 AM
We're getting loads of TV coverage here - presumably because Sharm el-Sheikh has loads of British tourists at this time of year - it's the first week of the school holidays here and many people have gone abroad to "escape" our own problems. Already 2 Brits have been reported killed, 2 more seriously injured (jnlcuidng a girl of only 16), and many more British people less seriously injured. They are also saying German, Dutch, French and Russian tourists are among the dead as well as Egyptrians and Saudis. We live in a very tragic world.
several hours after the incident, BBC World was taking me on a tour around Asia :rolleyes:, and it took CNN a few hours to come to the party as well. Nimmy's report was actually the first I heard about it. Radio's and tv stations made no mention of the incident for quite some time.

This is all due to the fact the average Westerner perceives all Arabic people as possible terrorists - and so if the terrorists knock off a few of their own, who cares :shrug:. I think this is disgusting, the way people value a Western life, over a middle eastern/african one. I suppose it was similar during the second world war - no one cared for all the innocent Japanese that were hurt when the trigger happy Americans decided to drop 2 HUGE mofo bombs on two Japanese cities. If yesterday's attack happened in Western Europe/America, there would have been media coverage on every single station all day. And there would have been many a picture of young women crying and consoling each other... but because this attack took place in "that country with those BIG PYRAMIDS" many tears were saved, as it wasn't qualified as being such a big deal...

buddyholly
07-24-2005, 10:33 PM
several hours after the incident, BBC World was taking me on a tour around Asia :rolleyes:, and it took CNN a few hours to come to the party as well. Nimmy's report was actually the first I heard about it. Radio's and tv stations made no mention of the incident for quite some time.

This is all due to the fact the average Westerner perceives all Arabic people as possible terrorists - and so if the terrorists knock off a few of their own, who cares :shrug:. I think this is disgusting, the way people value a Western life, over a middle eastern/african one. I suppose it was similar during the second world war - no one cared for all the innocent Japanese that were hurt when the trigger happy Americans decided to drop 2 HUGE mofo bombs on two Japanese cities. If yesterday's attack happened in Western Europe/America, there would have been media coverage on every single station all day. And there would have been many a picture of young women crying and consoling each other... but because this attack took place in "that country with those BIG PYRAMIDS" many tears were saved, as it wasn't qualified as being such a big deal...

I think this is a very biased and uninformed post. TV coverage in London was quicker because of the availability of the means of putting pictures on the air almost immediately. Sharm-el Sheik does not offer the same possibilities. All the media I watched had breaking news bulletins immediately, but there is only so much you can say on TV, without pictures..
Your mixing together of this and nuclear bombing of Japan is curious. Nuclear weapons were used against a nation that had as its aim the enslavement of a continent. To this end millions of people throughout the continent were already condemned to death camps by the Japanese regime. The people under the bombs may have been ''innocent'', but they were party to the Japanese atrocities. They were killed so that many more lives might be saved. Who was ''trigger happy'' at Pearl Harbour?
But you may well be under the impression that the bad old USA attacked poor little Japan.
Incidentally, it is the duty of all governments to value the lives of its citizens over the lives of others.

nermo
07-25-2005, 05:48 PM
well, what's happening in the world right now is simply and by all means is a crime...Well, yes Sharm el Sheikh is a resort for tourists and wealthy egyptians ,but they were innocent and safe ppl,(whether they 'were egyptians or foreigners)and most of the egyptians who work there, are poor young guys who left from their towns trying to find a better way for living and simply by that 23/7 ...they lost their small projects , got broke with no money even to return back home..not to mention less lucky ppl who got severly injuried ..even ppl, who were far from sharmel sheikh ,though Thank GOD didn't get hurt..but all egyptians are left deeply injured for their lost sons :sad:
what happened here ..reveals that terror has no religion or anti religion...it's simply terror against humanity ..and this is religionless..

I cannot believe this shit again MY heart to the egypcians, and I really hope all my egyp friends of MTF are ok posted by Denaon :hug: thanks for ur concern...

several hours after the incident, BBC World was taking me on a tour around Asia , and it took CNN a few hours to come to the party as well. Nimmy's report was actually the first I heard about it. Radio's and tv stations made no mention of the incident for quite some time.posted by Its.like. that

i think, this attitude in covering the world's news is very well known about (different news stations ), its very well known here in Egypt and i think in all spots of the world( sharing the same less importance ) from their point of view..

Incidentally, it is the duty of all governments to value the lives of its citizens over the lives of others.posted by Buddy holly

it won't do any harm to one nation's civilians,if the way the world news is covered in the media is as unbiased as possible, especially when it comes to terror where a specific group of ppl or specific religion is accused and then suddenly terror strikes those same ppl..its not about governomental duties towards civilians its about the media's justice in transferring the true image to the viewers ...but that's another issue..

espanol04
07-31-2005, 12:09 PM
The real terrorists are Mr.Bush and his puppy, Koizumi. If we can't resolve the problem of poverty, racial discrimination and pollution, there'll be no saying of common and sustainable development. It's because US and its allies stick to hegemonism and power politics that the Islamic world began to counterattack. As long as Mr.Bush doesn't change his foreign policies, there'll be more terror attack.

Jim Jones
07-31-2005, 01:23 PM

I think you jump too quickly to conclusions. After all how much coverage on the London attacks did Al jazeera have? Or to be precise how much coverage does Al jazeera have on non-Arab attacks? Media coverage is tailored to local tastes. There is more coverage of London attacks yes but there is also a lot of coverage of what's going on in Iraq.

Nimrodg
07-31-2005, 01:50 PM
The real terrorists are Mr.Bush and his puppy, Koizumi. If we can't resolve the problem of poverty, racial discrimination and pollution, there'll be no saying of common and sustainable development. It's because US and its allies stick to hegemonism and power politics that the Islamic world began to counterattack. As long as Mr.Bush doesn't change his foreign policies, there'll be more terror attack.

Yeah , right.
The terror is because of Bush ? the terror is because some fuckers who thinks that life of people are garbage.
I guess you didn't suffered from terror till now so you don't really now what is terror :o

nermo
07-31-2005, 11:47 PM
I think you jump too quickly to conclusions. After all how much coverage on the London attacks did Al jazeera have? Or to be precise how much coverage does Al jazeera have on non-Arab attacks? Media coverage is tailored to local tastes. There is more coverage of London attacks yes but there is also a lot of coverage of what's going on in Iraq. posted by Jimjones

where did u get that from??,when did u start watching their Coverage for the strikes??
London strikes were covered there and on other arabic channels (al arabiya for ex.) in a very fair way and still is ,and there're daily reports and analysis about things going there , but again u amaze me, when u start making comparisons everytime someone tries to explain his point of view...
and finally, whether coverage is huge or little, it should be true and unbiased,that's what matters in my humble opinion

Jim Jones
08-01-2005, 02:55 PM
where did u get that from??,when did u start watching their Coverage for the strikes??
London strikes were covered there and on other arabic channels (al arabiya for ex.) in a very fair way and still is ,and there're daily reports and analysis about things going there , but again u amaze me, when u start making comparisons everytime someone tries to explain his point of view...
and finally, whether coverage is huge or little, it should be true and unbiased,that's what matters in my humble opinion
This was not a critic of Al jazzera. Indeed I also mentionned BBC and CNN. As you even said, it does not matter if coverage is huge or little but what matters is that it is true. This seems to be the case with western media on the egypt attacks and Al Jazeera coverage of non.arab events.

its.like.that
08-01-2005, 05:47 PM
I think this is a very biased and uninformed post. TV coverage in London was quicker because of the availability of the means of putting pictures on the air almost immediately. Sharm-el Sheik does not offer the same possibilities. All the media I watched had breaking news bulletins immediately, but there is only so much you can say on TV, without pictures..
Your mixing together of this and nuclear bombing of Japan is curious. Nuclear weapons were used against a nation that had as its aim the enslavement of a continent. To this end millions of people throughout the continent were already condemned to death camps by the Japanese regime. The people under the bombs may have been ''innocent'', but they were party to the Japanese atrocities. They were killed so that many more lives might be saved. Who was ''trigger happy'' at Pearl Harbour?
But you may well be under the impression that the bad old USA attacked poor little Japan.
Incidentally, it is the duty of all governments to value the lives of its citizens over the lives of others.

you're missing the point... but then again, you may not understand.

its.like.that
08-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I think you jump too quickly to conclusions. After all how much coverage on the London attacks did Al jazeera have? Or to be precise how much coverage does Al jazeera have on non-Arab attacks? Media coverage is tailored to local tastes. There is more coverage of London attacks yes but there is also a lot of coverage of what's going on in Iraq.
an attack in the Eastern world is just as disgraceful to me as an attack in London, but we dont all think the same way...

its.like.that
08-01-2005, 05:55 PM
This seems to be the case with western media on the egypt attacks and Al Jazeera coverage of non.arab events.

not at all