Whos got the new Harry Potter Book?!?!!? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Whos got the new Harry Potter Book?!?!!?

1sun
07-16-2005, 08:42 AM
i admit it im a geek and love harry potter!!.i pre ordered and got my copy today. any of u got the new book? any fans??!

Ferrero Forever
07-16-2005, 11:02 AM
yeah i got mine. Won't read it for ages though.

CooCooCachoo
07-16-2005, 11:28 AM
I work in a bookstore so I bought it just earlier and brought it home in my lunch break (which is now). I have read the first five books, but am re-reading the fourth book right now (halfway through) and after that the fifth book, so I refreshed my memory. It's shocking how many things you forget though. Obviously it will take a while before I get to the new book, but I hope that in a month's time, I will have read all of them. Then I start uni again so I will have no time :(

PennyThePenguin
07-16-2005, 11:29 AM
the ones who got the book are probably not in a position to be replying to you right now ;) they're busy devouring it. the only reason i'm not is because my sister's hogging it :p

1sun
07-16-2005, 11:33 AM
I work in a bookstore so I bought it just earlier and brought it home in my lunch break (which is now). I have read the first five books, but am re-reading the fourth book right now (halfway through) and after that the fifth book, so I refreshed my memory. It's shocking how many things you forget though. Obviously it will take a while before I get to the new book, but I hope that in a month's time, I will have read all of them. Then I start uni again so I will have no time :(
yer me too. ive re read the first 2,im on the third, so once ive finished all of them ill start on the new one,my mum robbed it off me at the mo so i aint got no choice!

RogersGirl
07-16-2005, 04:41 PM
I HAVE IT!!! lol yes i admit i am a potter geek! i was at a midnight party here in new york it was so much fun. back to the book... everyone needs their daily tennis fix but i musn't keep harry waiting :D

sigmagirl91
07-16-2005, 05:28 PM
No, but I have no probs with running into people who have.

Iheartandy&roger
07-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I got it, i've been reading Harry Potter books since grade 6 because my librarian suggested to my mom that avid readers such as myself would really like this novel and sure enough I did and now look at it! :scared:

sigmagirl91
07-16-2005, 05:34 PM
I got it, i've been reading Harry Potter books since grade 6 because my librarian suggested to my mom that avid readers such as myself would really like this novel and sure enough I did and now look at it! :scared:

You know...maybe I should begin reading this series since it does classify as adolescent literature (for teacher certification purposes, I have to take adolescent literature).

Kudz
07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
I got it this morning and I'm about a third of my way through it. It's just as good as the previous ones!

roisin
07-16-2005, 07:46 PM
The HP books along with th Da Vinci Code are the only books I've ever read :p 200 pages thru this one, pretty good so far :yeah: I just want to know who the HBP is though!

KimKong
07-16-2005, 08:49 PM
i BOUGHT IT THIS MORNING! Haven't slept a lot... so i guess i should go to bed instead of beginning to read! LOL!

sol
07-16-2005, 10:59 PM
I didn't yet.. but I'll

CooCooCachoo
07-16-2005, 11:35 PM
You know...maybe I should begin reading this series since it does classify as adolescent literature (for teacher certification purposes, I have to take adolescent literature).

You know, at first I was really against it and I thought it would be so stupid and childish. But I was somewhat forced to watch the movie with family for Christmas and I actually loved it. Bought the four books that were out then in a boxed set, started reading and loved the books way more than the movie. There's nothing childish about it in my opinion.

You should definitely go and read them :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
07-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Also, as a teacher, it will give you a better chance to bond with your pupils, for it gives you something to talk about in many cases.

sol
07-16-2005, 11:58 PM
You know, at first I was really against it and I thought it would be so stupid and childish. But I was somewhat forced to watch the movie with family for Christmas and I actually loved it. Bought the four books that were out then in a boxed set, started reading and loved the books way more than the movie. There's nothing childish about it in my opinion.

You should definitely go and read them :yeah:

Agreed! :yeah:

jenanun
07-17-2005, 01:04 AM
the book is definately better the movie no doubt...
well, i am far far behind... still reading the 4th book....
i usually finished the book just before the movie came out...

NicoFan
07-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Bought it this morning and about 1/3 of the way through.

Love it!!!!!!!!!!

Also want to know who the HBP is. :-)

And...not giving anything away but love that Dumbledore is in it more. Always loved his character. So cool...

savesthedizzle
07-17-2005, 06:09 AM
got it yesterday at midnight at one of those midnight parties, lol.

I might be a huge nerd but I finished it today all ready even though I had work for 9 hours, lol. I basically did nothing besides to to work and read HP. :lol:

NATAS81
07-17-2005, 06:31 AM
The closest I've been to Harry Potter books are the old Nickelodeon paperback series.

tall_one
07-17-2005, 06:44 AM
bought it last night :banana: and finished it a few hours ago :sad:

so when does the last one come out? lol :p

Nymeria
07-17-2005, 09:04 AM
my brother did buy it this time so I will have to wait till he finishes reading (prolly today). Really looking forward to read it :bounce:

did read all 5 books a lot so far, so I didn't read 5 again before starting 6, though I did read 3 again :p

Clara Bow
07-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I got it today. Love the series but it is odd because normally I camp down and read them but today I had to go to a lake party (ack- bathing suit incident!) and then a graduate school-graduation party so since then haven't had a chance to read. A little too juiced on booze and more inclined to do internet things.

Tomorrow I will be all about reading the book though. :)

JuanChuffy007
07-17-2005, 12:51 PM
got is yesterday :) only read the first chapter though :o :p

NiciSunflower
07-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Got mine yesterday - couldn't wait to get it and now I won't be able to read it before I haven't finished some papers for uni :sad: If I start HP now, I won't go on with my work, I know myself :lol: Guess, Harry et.al. have to wait until August...

Pancakesong
07-17-2005, 09:13 PM
I finished it today, love it! who could RAB be? :p

I love the couple tonks-lupin:couple:

Kudz
07-17-2005, 09:45 PM
I fnished it earlier today.

Very sad ending and was anyone else slightly dissapointed at who the Half Blood Prince is?

andyroxmysox12191
07-18-2005, 12:58 AM
I just saw this and *points to sig* I've been counting down for decades :sobbing:
Love Harry....we got the copy yesterday and I read it non stop for 10 hrs lmfao. Loved the book.....it was slightly depressing though and I cried. I was a bit mad at the couples though :armed: I didn't want those pairings cept for tonks and lupin which I guessed from the 5th book.
JKR said that the last book would come out in about 2 years or so. She already finished the last chapter of the book :sad:
here's the link where I got that from....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_4690000/newsid_4691500/4691511.stm

PennyThePenguin
07-18-2005, 02:58 AM
i hate waiting :p
finished it all at one shot yesterday. was just lying in bed all day trying to read it.

tall_one
07-18-2005, 05:21 AM
I fnished it earlier today.

Very sad ending and was anyone else slightly dissapointed at who the Half Blood Prince is?
yeah i was hoping for someone better then that, although it did make sense

I finished it today, love it! who could RAB be? :p

I love the couple tonks-lupin:couple:
lol probably nobody we know yet, need to look thru a list of characters a see if there are any RABs

yeah i thought they were a cute couple too lol

PennyThePenguin
07-18-2005, 07:58 AM
I felt the revelation of the Half Blood Prince didn't really live up to the book's title. :sad:

i'll continue to hide in my corner and mourn for sirius.

Nikki♥
07-18-2005, 08:06 AM
I don't have it, I've never read a Harry Potter book and I think I won't read one anytime soon. :o

Pancakesong
07-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I felt the revelation of the Half Blood Prince didn't really live up to the book's title. :sad:

:hug: yep sirius :sad: miss him

SuperFurryAnimal
07-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I borrowed the other books from my friend, so I've read them all. Can't wait for her to finish this part as well so that I can borrow it from her again! ;)

bad gambler
07-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I haven't read a page of harry potter in my life

but a lot of that has to do with the fact that i dont read so good :sad:

Pancakesong
07-18-2005, 10:44 AM
:hug: you got dyslectie? (don't know the english word) there excist spoken cd's of it, maybe by that you can still 'read' the books

its.like.that
07-18-2005, 10:48 AM
:hug: you got dyslectie? (don't know the english word) there excist spoken cd's of it, maybe by that you can still 'read' the books
dyslectie = dyslexia :)

BG prefers to read books that have lots of pretty pictures :)...

I believe the new "Spot goes to Roland Garros" is being released next week, BG has already pre-ordered his copy.

:wavey:

bad gambler
07-18-2005, 10:49 AM
BG prefers to read books that have lots of pretty pictures :)...

I believe the new "Spot goes to Roland Garros" is being released next week, BG has already pre-ordered his copy.

:wavey:

Actually I prefer the Clifford books, who doesn't love an oversized red dog??? :dog:

CooCooCachoo
07-18-2005, 10:51 AM
I borrowed the other books from my friend, so I've read them all. Can't wait for her to finish this part as well so that I can borrow it from her again! ;)

It's not that expensive :shrug:

Pancakesong
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
no, lol, we bought 3:o my sis and I both wanted to read it immediately..

but my mother was in london for her work and read the first chapter there and bought it too:shrug: but we have one book givven to a friend, as a belated birthday present:p

Papakori
07-18-2005, 10:19 PM
I bought it on Saturday (I ordered it from my local bookstore) and had it finished by Sunday evening

I thought it was very good and enjoyable

NicoFan
07-19-2005, 01:07 AM

Me too - Sirius was my favorite.

I have my theories on the actions of the HBP - can't wait until everyone has read it so we can discuss it openly. :)

nkhera1
07-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Me too - Sirius was my favorite.

I have my theories on the actions of the HBP - can't wait until everyone has read it so we can discuss it openly. :)

Put a spoiler and list some of them. I would love to hear them.

NicoFan
07-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Put a spoiler and list some of them. I would love to hear them.

Oh, I can't spoil it for anyone. :eek:

Maybe after a couple of weeks, we can start a thread that is ONLY FOR THOSE THAT FINISHED THE LATEST HARRY POTTER!! ;) That way we'd have enough people that finished it by then.

1sun
07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Oh, I can't spoil it for anyone. :eek:

Maybe after a couple of weeks, we can start a thread that is ONLY FOR THOSE THAT FINISHED THE LATEST HARRY POTTER!! ;) That way we'd have enough people that finished it by then.
good idea ;)

SuperFurryAnimal
07-19-2005, 12:36 PM
It's not that expensive :shrug:

I know, especially not for someone with a fulltime job like me... But it's no use just to have one book... If I'm going to buy it, I want to have them all! And then it's getting a bit more expensive... ;)

Pancakesong
07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
but you can start with this book, and buy the others later, so you don't have to wait for your friend's book..

who made this topic? that person can change the title in something like 'don't visit this topic when you haven't finished part 6 yet' and then we can post our theories here

Stevens Point
07-19-2005, 01:57 PM
1sun, I think it would be interesting if you could add a poll like

1. I bought it
2. I am going to buy it.
3. not interested in Harry Potter

Something like that... What do you think?

undomiele
07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
I must confess I still find this HP phenomenon rather perplexing. :scratch: There's been nothing quite like it (during my young lifetime at least ;) ). Its kind of hard to stomach this level of HP consumption in an age where most ppl tend to prefer movies and VG's over books. I think its great :p

I remember there was this "controversial" article written by Harold Bloom on the topic a couple of years ago in the NYTimes. He's a renowned English Literature professor (harvard i think?) and he wrote an article (somewhat validly IMO) criticising Harry Potter and that genre of books (eg: Stephen King) and for weeks the NYTimes got blasted with angry letters because of that article. :eek: It broke a record I think. I hear they are still getting letters about it today. Craaazzzy. HP is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

I myself found HP to be pretty entertaining (only read the first 2) although I have to say the writing and construction itself isn't that great compared to, mmm, Roald Dahl? And a lot of fans have told me that the first book is the best so far (is that what some of you think?) But the plot is really good and I can see how ppl can get very addicted to the series.

My favourite english children's books writers when I was a kid were Madeleine L'Engle, Roald Dahl, John Bellairs and I know Im coming off as a total nerd when I say this, but some of the stories from the 1001 Arabian Nights were really quite exceptional. :yeah: I don't there has ever been anything to really top that collection of stories before or afterwards in the English written world of imagination IMO :eek: . I think Borges said the same thing at some point too... and he was probably the ultimate authority on fantasy. There are some others as well, any other recommendations??? Now that we're on the topic of reading...

(ps: I didnt actually read the entire 1001 arabian nights. I read the "best of" ;) :lol: Im not that crazy!)

tall_one
07-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I myself found HP to be pretty entertaining (only read the first 2) although I have to say the writing and construction itself isn't that great compared to, mmm, Roald Dahl? And a lot of fans have told me that the first book is the best so far (is that what some of you think?) But the plot is really good and I can see how ppl can get very addicted to the series.

the writing is nothing great but it doesn't interfer with my ability to enjoy the story. I read an article by Steven King where he was teasing Rowling about her overuse of adverbs, when i paid attention it was very obvious that she over used them but i read books to enjoy stories, not to critique them for english class.

I don't think the 1st book is anywhere near the best of the series, matter of fact i think the 1st 2 books are the worse of the series lol not that any of them are bad but i like book 3 best (3, 4, 6, 5, 1, 2 is the order i would put them in)

PennyThePenguin
07-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Let's see, my favourite is definitely book 3, followed by 1, 4, 6, 2, 5

undomiele
07-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I didnt read book 3 but I wasnt really impressed with the movie... It seemed like they left a lot out, however, in the cinematic version so ill definitely check 3 out at some point! :yeah: :wavey:

Of course NOW ill know how its going to end. :(

Nymeria
07-20-2005, 01:58 PM
the third movie is quite bad, but the third book is just the best of all :worship:

andyroxmysox12191
07-20-2005, 09:13 PM
After having read all 6 books, the first two aren't my favorites. At all. I LOVED book 3 and 4. I can't decide between the two. The 5th and 6th books made me sad. Sirius was my favorite character....but then Luna came in and she made me laugh. I loved her in the 6th book; I wish JKR showed her a bit more though

I liked the 3rd movie.....I think I'm one of the few that did but I would've changed some things. The 4th seems awesome so I can't wait for that one :yeah:

Do tell me if we're gonna have a HP thread for the 6th book..I'd love to talk about it :D :banana:

PennyThePenguin
07-21-2005, 02:56 AM
psst mani..there's one thread for book 6 discussion somewhere ;) it's an old threda that has been renamed :D