KKK Wants to Protest at Augusta Nat'l [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

KKK Wants to Protest at Augusta Nat'l

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 07:51 AM
KKK wants to protest at Augusta Nat'l (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/golfonline/news/2003/02/27/kkk_protest_ap/)

Posted: Friday February 28, 2003 2:30 AM

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) -- The controversy over Augusta National Golf Club's all-male membership has attracted the attention of the Ku Klux Klan.

A Klan group has asked for an application for a permit to demonstrate in support of the club that hosts the Masters each April.

The club has been under pressure from Martha Burk, chairwoman of the National Council of Women's Organizations, to admit a female. Burk has said she will seek a permit to demonstrate at the Masters against Augusta National's membership practices.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition has requested an application for a permit to demonstrate in support of Burk at the Masters in April.

Col. Gary Powell of the Augusta-Richmond County Sheriff's Department said Wednesday he had received permit requests from Jackson's group and from an unidentified man from Maine who supports Augusta National.

A women's group called "WAMB," or Women Against Martha Burk, wants to demonstrate in support of the club in downtown Augusta on April 6, the Sunday before the Masters.

On Thursday, J.J. Harper of Cordele, reportedly the imperial wizard of the American White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, asked for a permit.

"We intend on making speeches and picketing for the right of the Augusta National Club to include only members of their choice regardless of race, religion, sex or creed," Harper said.

Augusta National spokesman Glenn Greenspan distanced the club from the KKK request.

"As a result of the controversy created by political activists, a number of organizations, some of them extreme, have sought to voice their political views," Greenspan said. "Anyone who knows anything about Augusta National Golf Club or its members knows this is not something the club would welcome or encourage."

Burk said Augusta National "should not be shocked by the KKK's endorsement."

"They have behaved in a manner that attracts this type of support," Burk told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "They are going to have a real circus if this goes on.

"If I was Augusta National, I would spare my golfers, my members, my patrons, the city and citizens of Augusta, and the tournament all the trouble by simply opening membership immediately to women or announcing a plan to do so in a reasonable amount of time."

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 07:52 AM
All I could think when I read this was : AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I do wonder though - do you suppose that the folks at Augusta were thinking "Oh God, this is NOT good for PR", or deep down were they thinking "Oh Good! There are more people out there just like us...."? ;)

anton
02-28-2003, 08:09 AM
KKK seems to be jumping on the bandwagon. They can't play golf in all those sheets.

maratski
02-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the article. I thought kkk was just about hating black people. I didn't know they were also interested in the rights of males and females

Scotso
02-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Is it a private club?

If so, sorry girls, but I don't see why they think they have the right to protest.

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Ilhame, perhaps I have it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the KKK is all about protecting the white male. Because they just require so much protection, from all that discrimination that is placed on them :rolleyes:

So seeing as they are all about protecting the white male, it sounds like Augusta is right up their alley....

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Is it a private club?

If so, sorry girls, but I don't see why they think they have the right to protest.

Well, my interest in this article was not the actual issue, it was the hilarious PR that Augusta is going to draw with a connection like this one...

Regardless of wether or not you think they are right, do you not think that having your name linked with the KKK, is down right embarassing?

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 08:45 AM
I have to wonder if one of the girls didn't send the old boys at the KKK an anonymous letter suggesting that they take up this cause... what an ingenius plan ;)

maratski
02-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Regardless of wether or not you think they are right, do you not think that having your name linked with the KKK, is down right embarassing? [/B][/QUOTE]

It is. Being linked to kkk is very bad for the image of such an old club.

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 08:57 AM
Especially a club that didn't even accept black people for a major part of their history...

Yup, it sounds like Augusta+KK=true love :hearts:

maratski
02-28-2003, 08:59 AM
lol

Scotso
02-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Yes, Becca.

If I were the owner of the club, the second the KKK got involved I would open it up to women and blacks, minus a membership fee ;)

Barrie_Dude
02-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
Especially a club that didn't even accept black people for a major part of their history...

Yup, it sounds like Augusta+KK=true love :hearts:

I rather doubt that!:rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Which part to you rather doubt? If you are going to roll your eyes lamely, I would hope that you have some sort of opinion.

Barrie_Dude
02-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Well, the KKK may love it as it brings them some publicity, but I assure you that the kind folks at Augusta National are horrified at the thought of having the KKK percieved at being connected with them, however remote the connection and however absurd the KKK!

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 07:09 PM
WOW.

That was my entire point in this thread. Where did I lose you?

Barrie_Dude
02-28-2003, 07:13 PM
:rolleyes: Pleeeeaaassssseeeee....... the only point you ever had is the one at the top of your head!:rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Chloe le Bopper
02-28-2003, 07:17 PM
Right, nice cover. I'm sure that nobody will notice your airheadedness now.... ;)

Seriously though, although I may have used a rather heavy dose of sarcasm, I'm fairly positive that my underlying message was clear: AHAHAHHA Augusta! Sucks to be you!

Barrie_Dude
02-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Actuallly, have you ever been anywhere in the vicinty of Augusta National? It's a nice place! And some pretty decent people. Even the women (who, I might add, play the course and use the facilities as much as the men do) seem to like it there! And, yes, I have been in and around Augusta, Georgia on many an occasion (though I've never been to the club) and I've talked to many people that doi belong there. Actually, instead of laughing at them, I'm a bit sorry for them that this KKK thing came along.

Barrie_Dude
02-28-2003, 07:43 PM
BTW: Red Wings/Cujo 7-Maple Leafs/2:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: