Underacheivers on the tour? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Underacheivers on the tour?

Goonergal
07-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Who on the ATP Tour has not lived up to their potential?

Goonergal
07-25-2002, 04:43 PM
For me my main three are Gambill, Phillopousis and Clement. All 3 with Great potential though have not yet fulfilled the promise.

Gambill has all the weapons including one of the most consistent serves yet his Grand Slams have been disappointing. This is similar with Flip (Before the Knee Injury) he has all the weapons the serve well documented a great forehand but yet he has also failed to deliever. Meanwhile Clement final appearance at the Oz Open seems to have hampered him. I think the pressure from the French was too much for him and he has yet to recapture the form he showed to reach that Final. I also think that it is a kind of mental thing as well.

TheBoiledEgg
07-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Biggest doofus of them all

Nicolas Kiefer

Daniel
07-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Kiefer

bcoene
07-25-2002, 05:18 PM
Kiefer, he should still be top 10.
Phillipoussis, he should be top 5.
Federer, but he has still a lot of time.

Chloe le Bopper
07-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Thomas Enqvist - he's had a pretty decent carreer, but I think he could have done more - won a slam perhaps.

TheBoiledEgg
07-25-2002, 06:42 PM
Thomas has been struck down by so many injuries (its sad)
but when he is hot, he's a joy to watch

one of my fav players :)

he's won plenty of masters but should have won a Hard Court slam

Mazza
07-25-2002, 07:12 PM
I'd say Greg Rusedski becuase after 1997 which was a great year and showed he had alot of promise he went downhill from then :sad:

mmm!marat
07-25-2002, 09:23 PM
i hate to say this, but if safin had taken the chances he was given he would have achieved far more by now, he's not the biggest underachiever in the game, but imo he has underachieved.

Chloe le Bopper
07-25-2002, 09:52 PM
mmm!marat, I would have to agree.

There is really no excuse for him having less slams that Hewitt.

Darran
07-25-2002, 10:08 PM
I agree Greg has underachieved, others i suppose in my opinion would include:

Cedric Pioline
Mark Phillopousis

and by far... Yevgeny Kafelnikov

Dissident
07-26-2002, 12:31 AM
Marat Safin, yes. He is probably the biggest "natural talent" out there.
Nicolas Kiefer is someone I would put there too. A lot of touch and talent, little reflect in his results.
Yevgeny had a lot of good results, but he should have done even better. He is there too.
Those are the biggest ones I guess

Static
07-26-2002, 01:39 AM
Nicolas Kiefer :o he is still cool though :D

Atilla Savolt :o You might think differently but I think his results could have been much better than they were/are.

Federer and Marat still have time.

AtPGiRL
07-26-2002, 02:06 AM
Mark Philippoussis!
Nicholas Kiefer!

Berlin_Calling
07-26-2002, 02:31 AM
This is a little debatable but Kafelnikov

Leo7
07-26-2002, 03:05 AM
- Mark Phili (all the talent, bu no GS titles)
- Yevgeny Kafelnikov (with his all-court game, he shoulda had more success on ALL surfaces. he might as well retire now!)

tennischick
07-26-2002, 03:40 AM
Agassi. he coulda had more Slams. :mad:

Chloe le Bopper
07-26-2002, 06:17 AM
Leo7 - he will retire, if Russian wins the Davis Cup this year.

Tennischick - funny, I mentioned that in the Pete and Andre thread the other day. I didn't say he should have won more slams, I just said that he underachieved for so long - bu I totally agree with you.

If he had had Petes focus during the mid 90's....

warfreakbix
07-26-2002, 11:04 AM
I think Marat & Federer has a lot of time to remedy their under achieverness (LOL, is there such a word)!
In a word Flip, the guy is 6 foot 6 inches, can whack the ball to kingdom come, strong, excellent service, I guess his heart is not really into tennis. And add to that,his misfortune of being injury prone.

kazblah
07-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Gambill and Philippoussis, they both have a great serve.

tennis4you
07-26-2002, 12:03 PM
I am suprised no one said Rios.

tennischick
07-26-2002, 12:21 PM
i won't say Rios bec of his history of injury. but his crappy attitude is why people list him as an underachiever.

TheBoiledEgg
07-26-2002, 01:53 PM
you need more than just a good serve

Philippoussis is 100 times a better play than JMG

Chloe le Bopper
07-26-2002, 04:44 PM
"In a word Flip, the guy is 6 foot 6 inches, can whack the ball to kingdom come, strong, excellent service, I guess his heart is not really into tennis. And add to that,his misfortune of being injury prone."

Thankfully all those injuries have done some good - improved his attitude. When back in tyhe day it seemedd his heart wasn't in it, today it seems to be.

The question is of course, is it to late?

Leo7
07-26-2002, 05:00 PM
also Max Mirnyi. he's had all the success in DOUBLES, but he's NEVER won a SINGLES tourney! hopefully that changes this week in LA!

Scott Storm
07-27-2002, 01:02 AM
Rios
Phillipousis
Kiefer
Safin
Gambill
Bjorkmann

Chloe le Bopper
07-27-2002, 01:50 AM
Personally I dont find Gambill to be an underachiever.

His serve is good, but not of Goran calibre of anything. The rest of his game is decent, but not fantastic. He is very very fit though, so he can make the most of it. He works very hard, and for that I give him a good deal of credit.

But he's always struck me as a player who would go through some really good spells, but generally just float around the top 30 most of the time.

Ace Tracker
07-27-2002, 03:03 AM
Carlos Moya could have done better...Also, Alex Corretja should have had a Slam by now...
Andrei Medvedev showed great potential when young, but really never achieved much aside of that memorable run in Paris...
Cedric Pioline...

Chloe le Bopper
07-27-2002, 03:11 AM
Corretja is one to think about yes - I've read many a time that people think he is too "nice" to win a slam. Not sure what I think about that.

Moya reached number one, won a slam - then got offset by anumber of injuries.

I'm not sure I'd call him a flat out underachiever though - he fits into the injured underachiever catagory I guess :(

Dissident
07-27-2002, 03:45 AM
Corretja should be a name here too. He should have won a Grand Slam yes. And his "nice guy" label was kinda rejected by himself since his Roland Garros finals loss last year. He said he woul be a bad guy from now on. Im not sure if thats posible, such a violent change... :confused: Well, if it helps him, then be it! :)
Gambill, like Becca said, is another case of a player who tries hard, and stuff, but he is limited imo. He can go to some point on his wonder days, but then no one can keep playing at 100% all time. The great champions are the ones who win playing 50% of their capacity.

Layla
07-27-2002, 10:36 AM
Corretja keeps saying he's going to be a mean killing machine :rolleyes: from now on, yet somehow he can't help but be a nice guy and feel for the opponent a tad too much. Of all the players, I think he has the hardest time dealing with playing against good friends, which might be part of the reason why he hasn't won a slam yet. He did prove me wrong yesterday, though. He felt there was something wrong with Albert, even said so in his interview, yet he was able to dismiss Albert's problems and focus on his game. If he keeps doing that, he might still get a slam to his name and he should. :)

Sean
07-27-2002, 03:25 PM
Safin
Federer
Malisse

(Still have time)

Medvedev
Enquist
Rios
Pioline
Henman...hahahaha

Chloe le Bopper
07-27-2002, 05:54 PM
Wow Sean, how did I ever forget Henman in the OVERachievers thread?