just so you know! - london check in please! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

just so you know! - london check in please!

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 01:54 PM
i have no idea who's worried adn whos not and who elese is based in england and london specifiaclly but i thought i'd let you know as a few people pm'd me that i am okay i'm not in london i have friends i can't get hold of and my uncle too but personally im okay!

also damita text sarah (miss fairy) for me and she has replied letting us know she is okay but a bit scared.

if anyone is based in england or london specifically can you all let us know you are okay or let us know who you have heard of.

blosson
07-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Everything in london sucks right now but i'm fine.

I don't know how I'm going home thought...

allanah
07-07-2005, 02:06 PM
That's good news about Sarah, JJ.

I've been staring at the screen all morning, trying to fin out news, alternating between floods of tears and a blinding rage. My sister's stuck in Oxford circus but I'm speaking to her every 10 minutes and hse's calmer than all of us who aren't even near to the danger. I'm very grateful for that. I couldn't bear it if she were terrified and stranded.

allanah
07-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Everything in london sucks right now but i'm fine.

I don't know how I'm going home thought...

Glad you're ok, Bloss. Hope your family and mates are too.

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 02:26 PM
blosson i don't know where abouts in london you are but they've just announced on tv that the clipper service (thats the riverboats incase you didn't know) is free so if you are stuck and need to get around london thats yor best bet! get south of the river or out of zone 1 and the buses are on.

and allanah me too i've been bawling coz it's my home i'm moving back there soon and i feel absolutely furious that it's there and that i only knew coz my firend text me i was sleeping!

graceless
07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm glad you all are ok - I'm sending hugs and support.

roisin
07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Thats good about Sarah...I just Pm'ed her before I saw this so I'm glad shes ok. I hope all your friends and your uncle are ok JJ :hug: It might be just that the mobile phone nteworks are clogged up with so many people trying to ring others. My sister told me they closed parts of the mobile networks cos of something about bomb detonation :shrug:

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 02:38 PM
yeah i'm not so worried about my uncle i mean i am but i'm not he drievs or goes on his bike everywhere so chances of him being on tube or bus are slim to none but my friends would be on tubes and karen especially i know she goes through those stations to get to work and i am really worried about her she is one of my very best friends and i'm worried baout her!

Tytta!.
07-07-2005, 02:40 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: for you all :hug:

avocadoe
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm in the dark but it sounds grim...glad for all who are okay, and hope those you care for are, too

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
be glad avacadoe it's something i would rather not know about it

PinkFeatherBoa
07-07-2005, 02:55 PM
A big :hug: to everyone. Take care all of you. x

Golfnduck
07-07-2005, 02:57 PM
:hug: I'm glad you guys are all okay. I just read the story on MSN :hug: This is such a tragedy and it brings back memories on 9/11.

zoltan83
07-07-2005, 03:15 PM
:hug: to all. Glad to hear you're ok :hug:

fangirl
07-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I am still worried aobut Amanda - I have sent her an email though and hopefully will have some good news to pass on about that soon :hug:

Glad that you guys are all safe :)

Deboogle!.
07-07-2005, 03:28 PM
:hug: I'm glad you guys are all ok, I got an email from my friend Grace who has been traveling - she was in Ghana and made it through there safely, and she's kind of weirded out, like hey, Ghana is supposed to be the dangerous place, not England.

Is it backlash for the Olympics?

allanah
07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't think it can be Deb, it was far too organised for that. I don't think they could've planned it that quickly in fewer than 24hrs since the Olympic resut was announced.

do these people even need a logical reason? :sad:

Deboogle!.
07-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Oh, that's true and makes sense. I just woke up so I haven't even had time to read any news yet, just here and what my friend's email said so I didn't realize it was that large-scale :(.

Sigh. :( :sad: I'm just glad you all are ok.

Winston's Human
07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
:Is it backlash for the Olympics?

More likely backlash for the G8 Summit and the Live8 focus on African poverty.

surfpinky
07-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm glad you are all ok :hug: :hug:
In the news they said that it was b/c of the war on terror, since denmark and Italy are also getting threats to pull their troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan, and they said Pres. Bush was in Denmark not long ago.
My prayers goes to all of you :hug: :hug:

Deboogle!.
07-07-2005, 03:54 PM
G8 Summit oh that's right, I forgot about that. Sigh.

PennyThePenguin
07-07-2005, 04:07 PM
hey! i'm glad you guys are alright. :hug:

anyone heard back from amanda?

JJ...did you manage to get through to your nan? :hug:

Deboogle!.
07-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Amanda's been checking in on here every day, hopefully she will do that again, but if transportation is difficult she might not be able to. I don't know where she had been coming online from, whether it was at the school or an internet cafe or what.

I mean, the point of her trip was to be at Oxford to study, so I guess I just assumed she was staying there? In which case, she should be ok *fingers crossed*

PennyThePenguin
07-07-2005, 04:13 PM
she did tell me she was over at oxford the other day. hopefully, she's still there.

fangirl
07-07-2005, 04:15 PM
She did tell me she was in London the other day, so hopefully she is back in Oxford now and not caught up in it.

tangerine_dream
07-07-2005, 04:36 PM
:hug: to the Brits.

And stay strong people. http://www.hd-forums.com/images/smilies/ukflag.gif I have no doubt that the attacks were planned in conjunction with Olympics bid winner annoucement. But don't let those third-world fanatics get you down. They are simply jealous and angry that the rest of the modern world is going about with their happy lives while they're reduced to hiding out in mountain cells shagging and eating their goats all in the name of allah. The Olympics will be awesome in the UK and I'm looking forward to it. :banana:

Tytta!.
07-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the Olympic stuff...

Deboogle!.
07-07-2005, 04:44 PM
It's looking more and more like it was related to the G8 summit, which is currently happening in Scotland (I don't think a European branch of Al-Quaeda cares all that much about the Olympics). The Olympics probably didn't help though, but as people have said, this was way way way too well-executed to have been conceived in 24 hours

Anyway, no politics talk here, it can only turn messy. Let's just be glad all our Londoners are ok, and I'm sure Amanda is fine :) They say no one's still stuck underground in the tube stations, that's good news. :hug:

PennyThePenguin
07-07-2005, 04:45 PM
It's looking more and more like it was related to the G8 summit, which is currently happening in Scotland (I don't think a European branch of Al-Quaeda cares all that much about the Olympics). The Olympics probably didn't help though, but as people have said, this was way way way too well-executed to have been conceived in 24 hours

Anyway, no politics talk here, it can only turn messy. Let's just be glad all our Londoners are ok, and I'm sure Amanda is fine :) They say no one's still stuck underground in the tube stations, that's good news. :hug:

:hug:

Tytta!.
07-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Amanda is on MSN and she's fine :)

acoffeygirl
07-07-2005, 04:53 PM
:hug: to you all...glad to hear that everyone is OK!!

RodLo
07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Glad to hear all of you are okay. My prayers and thoughts will be with everyone in London. :hug:

I'm so sick of all this...what could possibly make people do something like that? http://bestsmileys.com/sad/6.gif

Carito_90
07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
You have no idea of how increadibly sorry I am about this whole thing happening in London. I'm just really really REALLY glad everyone here is alright and I hope everyone you know what is involved here is fine too and... well that.
It's just awful. Terribly awful.
And hearing some of my friends saying "They deserve it for thinking they were untouchables" doesn't make it any better.
Just... I don't really know what to do. I get really touched by these stuff. I've been watching the news since I got home to see if there's anything new cos honestly, i dont know what else to do.

My heart is with everyone involved :hug:

fangirl
07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
My wifey is OK! As is Vanessa (albit with a fractured arm) and Jamie. You don't know them, but I am sharing anyway as I am so relieved :)

Carito_90
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm so glad, dear :hug:

Deboogle!.
07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Caro, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot any of us can do, but be supportive, careful, aware, learn as much as we can about all cultures so that we have no ignorance and hate for anyone. And I know you're doing all that :hug:

snaillyyy
07-07-2005, 05:36 PM
:hug: glad that you are all ok:hug:
Sill waiting to hear from a friend who uses the Aldgate Station daily.

partygirl
07-07-2005, 06:07 PM
DAMN!

:rain: :angel:

andyroxmysox12191
07-07-2005, 06:46 PM
everyone in london :sad: :sad: :hug: :hug: :kiss: I hope you're all ok :(

superpinkone37
07-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Wow..... but :hug: :hug: :hug: for everyone :)

And I am SO glad to hear that you guys are okay. As soon as I heard this on the news, all I could think of was, "omg, so many mtf people are in london! :eek:" But its so good to hear that you're all okay :):):)

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
lil update! yes i am fine thanks and my nan was never a problem tangy she lives in the next road from me :lol: she was just worried about my uncle but he rang to say he was working outside london today *phew* and i finally got hold of all my friends and theyr' eokay a lil shaken but no one was involved thank god!

they just said on the news that a french minister died in the attack :eek:

and delayed but i'll answer this anyway no debs it was not coz of the olympics but it is a factor in the timing! terrorists unfortunately need very little reason to attack and have been targeting us for a long time i expect and have been waiting for the best opportunity to do it! and when better than when the city lets it's guard down and sends 10,000 police officers to scotland to guard the g8 summit and when the whole city is celebrating the olympic bid.

on the bright side it seems it's not as bad as it could have been and i am really surprsied to see that the death toll has stayed so low and the terrorists obviously don't think the way i do coz if i was a bomber i'd have taken out waterloo under the river so it flooded the lines too! thankfully they seem to be calculated but as not as evil as me except of course i woudl never do that.

guida
07-07-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry I'm so late but I've had no Internet access all day. I'm so glad to hear that everyone's ok. Be strong people! :hug: :hug:

Carito_90
07-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Caro, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot any of us can do, but be supportive, careful, aware, learn as much as we can about all cultures so that we have no ignorance and hate for anyone. And I know you're doing all that :hug:
Yeah I know. :hug:

J. Corwin
07-07-2005, 09:16 PM
I had no idea this was going on until I saw my Yahoo Breaking News Alerts and came over here. :sad: That is just so wrong :(

A big :hug: to everyone, especially to our Londoners and Amanda. Glad you're all safe! :):)

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 09:57 PM
thanks jace! weird thing is i was woken up by a text message from my friend who is visiting france! so it's weir dto think people in other countries knew before i did but it seems the mtf crowd is all okay so thats something positive.

Iheartandy&roger
07-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Omg my condolences I can't believe someone would want to do this fucking bastards they will get it all back though!

Faik Kheft
07-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Glad everyone's okay :hug:
I've just spent a frantic hour or so trying to contact my grandparents - they were on the tube on the way to King's Cross. They're okay, but they've had to walk across London for several hours, carrying suitcases, looking for somewhere to stay, and they're in their eighties so I was a little concerned.

Deboogle!.
07-07-2005, 10:09 PM
ohmygosh Fran :hug: are they ok??

ae wowww
07-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Apparently there were bombs found in Paris-they weren't set off... So it could be tied in with the Olympics... just waiting for the result. But likely to be involved w/G8 etc... :sad: So sad...

snaillyyy
07-07-2005, 10:16 PM
:hug: Fran, are they alright?????

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Glad everyone's okay :hug:
I've just spent a frantic hour or so trying to contact my grandparents - they were on the tube on the way to King's Cross. They're okay, but they've had to walk across London for several hours, carrying suitcases, looking for somewhere to stay, and they're in their eighties so I was a little concerned.

saw all that on the news! they're all walking for hours! and then half of them have to get back tomorrow for work :eek:

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Apparently there were bombs found in Paris-they weren't set off... So it could be tied in with the Olympics... just waiting for the result. But likely to be involved w/G8 etc... :sad: So sad...

please andrew if you are going to give out information please have it be the correct information. they did not find bombs they found "suspect packages" they also found a suspect package in swindon and brighton train stations both of which had controled explosions and unsurisingly turned out to be someones sandwiches!

it is NOT olympics related it just gave them the opening coz peoples guard was down, we've always known one day we were going to be attacked it's always been a question of when and how bad, and as far as these incidents go it's not as bad as it could have been. and as it currently stands the deathtoll is less than that of the kings cross fire of 1987 and thats amazing when you think of how much has happened today!!

Faik Kheft
07-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah, they're absolutely fine, just a bit stranded. It was just a bit worrying because all the mobile networks went down so we couldn't contact them and my gran gets a bit confused sometimes. They sounded really calm when I spoke to them, more tired than anything. My grandad said it felt like World war 2 in the sense that everyone was kind of helping each other and looking out for strangers, which doesn't often happen.

Éowyn
07-07-2005, 10:28 PM
glad they're okay fran! it's when things are at their worst that people prove to be at their best

Deboogle!.
07-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah, they're absolutely fine, just a bit stranded. It was just a bit worrying because all the mobile networks went down so we couldn't contact them and my gran gets a bit confused sometimes. They sounded really calm when I spoke to them, more tired than anything. My grandad said it felt like World war 2 in the sense that everyone was kind of helping each other and looking out for strangers, which doesn't often happen.:hug::hug: well I'm glad to hear they are OK. That's really all that matters, I suppose. It's nice to hear that people are helping other people out. Restores a teeny bit of faith in the human spirit after such a tragedy.

PinkFeatherBoa
07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Glad to hear your grandparents are OK Fran. :hug:

Just goes to show that even us 'stiff upper lip' Brits can pull together in a crisis... (:

zoltan83
07-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Amanda is on MSN and she's fine :)
Good news :hug:

am&a
07-08-2005, 12:59 AM
i just saw this thread, and even though you all already know i'm okay, i thought i would say it myself too. *hugs everyone*

superpinkone37
07-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Amanda!! (:

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 01:35 AM
we love you am&a (:

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 01:44 AM
i just saw this thread, and even though you all already know i'm okay, i thought i would say it myself too. *hugs everyone*

MANDA!!!!!!!!!! *bear hug*

snaillyyy
07-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Glad your ok Amanda !!!!! :hug:

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 02:11 AM
MANDA!!!!!!!!!! *bear hug*

shouldn't you give penguin hugs?

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 02:12 AM
shouldn't you give penguin hugs?

a penguin sized bear hug DUH! :ras:

;)

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 02:13 AM
a penguin sized bear hug DUH! :ras:

;)

do penguins actually have any contact with bears? mean do they actually know what bears are? other than polar bears of course! :confused:

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 02:14 AM
do penguins actually have any contact with bears? mean do they actually know what bears are? other than polar bears of course! :confused:

pennies get eddykashun too ya know.

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 02:17 AM
pennies get eddykashun too ya know.

then why the hell don't they learn to fly?

Golfnduck
07-08-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm glad you're okay :hug: It must be pretty scary over there right now.

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 02:18 AM
then why the hell don't they learn to fly?

cos flying's not part of the course!!!!! no qualified instructors around.

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 02:21 AM
cos flying's not part of the course!!!!! no qualified instructors around.

surely it shouldcome naturally, like walking, and racquet killing!

*imagines first penguin*
well why they no just think hey what do these things do!
*flaps*
ooh hey look i'm not on the ground anymore... i'm flying!
*penguin lands*
man that was fun! now i can do that again or i can continue waddling around this freezing cold rock!
*continues waddling*
*forgets how to fly*

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 02:23 AM
you win some, you lose some. we're pretty decent swimmers :p

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 02:24 AM
yeas but there are seals in the water :p

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 02:26 AM
yeas but there are seals in the water :p

and hunters shooting things out of the sky.

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 02:41 AM
and hunters shooting things out of the sky.

but they don't eat you!

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 02:44 AM
i'd still end up dead. and they take the ducks they shoot out of the air home to stuff and roast them. so HAH! :p

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 02:46 AM
i'd still end up dead. and they take the ducks they shoot out of the air home to stuff and roast them. so HAH! :p

butthey get to see the world even get to see hippos if they want to! and they don't have to sit on freezing cold rock all day :p

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 02:48 AM
i could sail my ship over :D

Éowyn
07-08-2005, 02:52 AM
*hasn't seen that film yet stil not out here! :mad: no fair bringin references to films i hasn't seen :mad:

anyways i thought sailed an iceberg thats what your ole avvy said!

Winston's Human
07-08-2005, 04:14 AM
I am glad that all our London friends are well. I can only imagine the shock and horror of those in London to think of terrorist attacks on familiar places. I remember the impact of 9-11 on us even though we are in Texas as my wife and her father had worked at the World Trade Center many years ago.

This thread is a breath of fresh air compared to the apology for terrorism on the non-tennis forum. Whether one agrees or disagrees with countries' foreign policy, there is no justification for attacks like this one, the Madrid train station, or the World Trade Center.

blosson
07-08-2005, 02:10 PM
London looks pretty normal today. A lot of people just got up and went to work.
Yesterday was mad but things are going back to normal bit by bit.
Thanks for everyone who was worried about the Londoners. Luckly I don't know anyone who's got affected by the blasts and hope it doesn't happen again.

Best wishes to everyone.

Deboogle!.
07-08-2005, 02:43 PM
London looks pretty normal today. A lot of people just got up and went to work.That's great to hear :hug: IMO, the worst thing we can all do is let them win. My mom was on AIM last night, and my dad was apparently telling her to tell me to be careful and stay off of public transportation (to which I responded, public transportation in LA??????). This is the same man who, when I worked in downtown boston and had to take the subway every day, told me to take off my Jewish star necklace. That horrified me. As much as I completely love and adore my dad, I'm glad there aren't more people like him who are just willing to change their lives for these terrorists. We all just have to be thankful that everyone we know is ok and supportive of each other and keep our heads high and go about our business.

I also think it might be nice to mention that it actually could have been a LOT worse. I hope that doesn't sound awful to say, but 4 different places on the tube at 9am could have been many times more disasterous than it even was.

OH, and Jen (Jennay) is away, but she called me last night and was EXTREMELY relieved to hear that you all are ok, it was the first thing she asked when I picked up the phone. So an extra :hug: for everyone from her :)

PennyThePenguin
07-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for everyone who was worried about the Londoners. Luckly I don't know anyone who's got affected by the blasts and hope it doesn't happen again.

Best wishes to everyone.

:yeah:

well, apart from that one shocker that i've told some of you about, my friends studying there, at least, those i've contacted are fine and are actually back home for the summer. so *phew*

surfpinky
07-08-2005, 04:00 PM

Best wishes to everyone.
:] :] :hug:

Guti
07-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I'm Becky, i'm from England. Just wanted to say that everyone that has been affected by this horrendous tragedy are in my thoughts, my dad's partner can't get hold of her friend in London so we are pretty worried at the moment, but i'm hoping we have good news soon.

Also i really enjoy reading all your post they put a smile on my face, thank you !! :)

Becky

Deboogle!.
07-08-2005, 11:47 PM
awww :hug: Hi Becky and welcome. Glad you are ok, and hope to see you participate a lot on this forum :D

Guti
07-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanx, i'm about a couple of hours away from London, I live in Boston. But it was awful watching it on the news yesterday :sad:

And yes i will definatley be posting more, thanx for the welcome :worship:

Deboogle!.
07-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Boston?? There's a Boston, England too?

Anyway, glad to have you with us :D

Guti
07-09-2005, 12:04 AM
yeah there sure is !! thats how Boston in the U.S. got its name, the Pilgrim Fathers' and all that, although this Boston isn't as nice as the American version !! :D

Deboogle!.
07-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Wow, that is very very very cool :cool: Learned something new about my hometown today. Thanks! :D

blosson
07-09-2005, 12:10 AM
A lot of American towns names comes from European cities. Like NY comes from the British city of York and Harlen and Brooklyn comes from Holland town names. I think the list goes on...

Deboogle!.
07-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Well yea, I know :) I didn't know Boston was specifically, though. :D

Guti
07-09-2005, 12:29 AM
I haven't been over to America yet, my Dad has he did a kinda east coast tour a couple of years back, started in Montreal and finished in Washington, but visited Boston, New York, Philidelphia etc on the way thru. I hoping to come over one day and even watch some tennis whilst i'm there. :D

girlscout
07-09-2005, 04:15 AM
i was there few days ago cuz wimbledon. and i used tube a lot so it really scared me. and i got many friends who are in london. luckily they are all rite.

Deboogle!.
07-09-2005, 04:19 AM
i was there few days ago cuz wimbledon. and i used tube a lot so it really scared me. and i got many friends who are in london. luckily they are all rite.:hug: well, glad to hear that you and your friends are all ok. It's too bad your first post with us has to be about this but hopefully there will be many more less important ones to come ;) :hug:

PennyThePenguin
07-09-2005, 04:21 AM
i was there few days ago cuz wimbledon. and i used tube a lot so it really scared me. and i got many friends who are in london. luckily they are all rite.

:hug:glad to hear that! welcome to mtf!

girlscout
07-09-2005, 04:33 AM
thx guys!
=)
i went to ar.com a lot but since the forum is down atm im thinking where else should i go? so i come hr!!!
glad to c u guys around!!!!

Fee
07-09-2005, 05:10 AM
Welcome to all of our new people. Check out the cute Max thread, it will remind you of the wonderful things in this world (namely, pics of CuteMax). :D

I'm not sure if I've posted in this thread, but I just wanted to say that I am glad to hear that the people we know are all doing okay. My mother is English, I have many extended family members in London (and England), and I use the Tube every time I visit (I love it, goes everywhere, doesn't cost a lot). My heart breaks for the injured and dead, and their families and friends. No one should ever have to die just for going to work and trying to make a decent living. :hug:

girlscout
07-09-2005, 05:53 AM
it gonna take them ages to rebuild all the broken tubes and it definitely would cause a big problem for ppl live in london.
feel so sry for them esp when they should hv been celebrated for the successful bid for 2012 olympic game and everything just went wrong on the following day.

J. Corwin
07-09-2005, 09:03 AM
hey welcome all you new people! :wavey::hug:

Glad to hear y'all are safe...lookin forward to your posts! :D

Tytta!.
07-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Welcome to everyone who's new in here :smooch:

MisterQ
07-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Hello new people :wavey: :)

and my thoughts are with our British friends :sad:

Jennay
07-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Sorry I'm so late, I was away and unable to get to a computer. There are so many London-ers here in this forum, and I thought of all of you as soon as I heard what happened. Big :hug: :hug: :hug:'s for you all. :hug:
OH, and Jen (Jennay) is away, but she called me last night and was EXTREMELY relieved to hear that you all are ok, it was the first thing she asked when I picked up the phone. So an extra :hug: for everyone from her :)
:hug:

Devotee
07-14-2005, 05:18 AM
An even more frightening aftermath has emerged.

According to this evening's news, over 100 reprisal attacks have been made throughout the UK against the Muslim community.

Not only is this unfair & wrong, this could push a very small handful of people in that community over the edge to participate in further suicide bombings.

allanah
07-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Devotee, are you in the UK? My understanding that the attacks have been against mosques. Not against Muslims. It's a subtle but important distinction.

Although I do totally agree it is moronic and wrong.

PennyThePenguin
07-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Devotee, are you in the UK? My understanding that the attacks have been against mosques. Not against Muslims. It's a subtle but important distinction.

Although I do totally agree it is moronic and wrong.

it might be a subtle distinction, but I feel that to attack mosques would be proclaiming your intentions to harm or even harming the Muslim community by attacking their place of worship. Whether targetting individuals or targetting their place of worship, I feel that it amounts to the same thing.

allanah
07-14-2005, 12:09 PM
sure Jiat, I'm not saying one is less awful than the other. But I think violence against a person is different to violence or vandalism against a person's property. The news I've been listening to (on BBC 5 Live) they have been stressing that no-one has actually been physically attacked, but that the muslims are now wary of visiting their usual places of prayer.

I agree, absolutely, that it is of course, very wrong and mindless.

tartwithacart
07-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I have to agree that the attacks againsts the mosques are different to attacks against people. However, I think the problem is that people dont understand why people who are born and raised in this country (UK) would want to do such horrible things. :sad:
At the end of the day, the attacks on these mosques are completely unneccessary because it is not the religion that has encouraged these kids ( i say kids cuz they were really young) but extremists who are using impressionable young adults to promote terror! Thats as deep as im going to go! :)

blosson
07-14-2005, 01:00 PM
It's shocking to find out that these bombers were all born and raised in Britain.
I read that some Brits are recruited by extremist militant groups and sent to terror training camps. It's believed that "there is a sense of disenchantment among people who go to these camps and they feel the West has double standards."

It's very sad innocent people had to die. Very Sad. :sad:

The 2 minutes of silence was a great gesture. :)

Devotee
07-14-2005, 04:14 PM
No, I'm not in the U.K.
Last evening in the U.S., they just mentioned in one sentence that there were reprisal attacks against Muslims, but didn't go into further detail.

Yes, attacking mosques is very intimidating and sends a message. Muslims must now always look over their shoulders and perhaps feel uncomfortable outside their community. Also, in the near future, even if they don't experience physical attack, then they may encounter hateful words, harsh stares, subtle discrimination, etc.

All of this is so awful and sad.

After the underground & bus attacks, there was great concern in this forum for the well-being of Londoners & rightly so. There might be posters on this board (including posters who rarely do posting) who are British Muslims.
We should ask them if they're alright. Have their mosques been attacked or are they living in fear of some potential attack against themselves or family & friends.

zoltan83
07-21-2005, 04:18 PM
London blasts cause chaos on Tube

Police in protective clothing were deployed at the bus site
The Tube has been plunged into chaos and several stations evacuated after minor blasts on three trains and a bus.
Met Police chief Sir Ian Blair said only three Tube lines were still suspended and it was time London started to return to normal.

The minor explosions - just two weeks after blasts killed 56 - involved detonators only, a BBC reporter said.

In addition, a blast was reported on the top deck of a Number 26 bus in Hackney Road in Bethnal Green.

There were no injuries and the bus suffered no structural damage.

Eyewitnesses heard bangs and saw abandoned rucksacks at the sites of the incidents at Warren Street, Shepherd's Bush Hammersmith and City line and Oval tube stations as well as the number 26 bus.

At Warren Street and Oval a man was seen running away from the scene.

Large areas around all four sites were cordoned off.

One person was injured at Warren Street. There were reports the injured person may have been holding a rucksack containing the detonator.

Sir Ian appealed for witnesses with mobile phone pictures of any of the incidents to send them to www.police.uk.

And he said it was "time to get London moving" again.

Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "We can't minimise incidents such as this because they obviously have been serious in the four different places as we know.

"I think all I'd like to say is this that we know why these things are done, they're done to scare people and to frighten them, to make them anxious and worried."

The BBC's Andrew Winstanley said devices had been found but appeared to have been dummies, containing no explosives.

Police said armed officers had been deployed to University College Hospital after an incident. A large area was cordoned off.

There were reports a memo had been circulated to staff to look out for a 6ft 2in black or Asian man with wires sticking out of his top.

The hospital has not received any casualties or been alerted to casualties.

A man was arrested near Downing Street by armed police and led away down Whitehall.

The whole of the Northern Line has been suspended, along with the Victoria Line, the Hammersmith and City line, Piccadilly and the Bakerloo line.

Police have set up cordons round the stations

A number of other stations were closed including Great Portland Street, Westminster, Waterloo, St Paul's and Oxford Circus tube stations, as well as Waterloo tube station and King's Cross Thameslink.

Tony Blair cancelled events in the afternoon and attended a meeting of the Cobra committee along with Sir Ian. Whitehall was briefly closed down.

London Underground went to an amber alert with trains taken to the next station and evacuated.

An eyewitness at Oval station said there had been a small bang, and a man had then run off when the Tube reached the station.

A spokesman for Stagecoach said the driver of the number 26 bus travelling through Shoreditch had heard a bang on upper deck, gone upstairs and seen the windows were blown out.

The bus driver was very shaken but said to be fine.

At Shepherd's Bush Hammersmith and City line station, police told reporters that a man had threatened to blow himself up and then ran off.

Sosiane Mohellavi, 35, was travelling from Oxford Circus to Walthamstow when she was evacuated from a train at Warren Street.

"I was in the carriage and we smelt smoke - it was like something was burning. "Everyone was panicked and people were screaming. We had to pull the alarm. I am still shaking."

blosson
07-21-2005, 06:33 PM
what a nightmare!

allanah
07-21-2005, 06:49 PM
*sigh* :awww:

Iheartandy&roger
07-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Man that's awful it must have been scary again but thank god nobody died or got seriously hurt! :hug: Man what's the deal these people are such cowards instead of trying to talk about it or get protests started if they disagree they take it out on poor innocent people :mad: they will get what's coming to them i'd hate to be them right now!

RainbowDiva2000
07-21-2005, 09:15 PM
This is awful, my Nan's family all came from London and my cousin works in the road where one of the bombs two weeks ago went off.

PennyThePenguin
07-22-2005, 02:13 AM
*urgh*