González Retires and Guga reaches the QF's [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

González Retires and Guga reaches the QF's

Jorge
02-27-2003, 11:29 PM
For Héctor Olivares Vega.

Acapulco, Gro., 27 Feb (Notimex) .-The Brazilian Gustavo Kuerten advanced way unexpected to the quarterfinals of the tenth Abierto Mexicano de Tennis, in 38 minutes due to the retirement of the Chilean Fernando Gonzalez after the first set.

This match it was anticipated as the most interesting duel of the fourth day of the contest, which is disputed on clay and endowed with 669 thousand dollars in prizes, "Guga" won the first set for 6-4 and later the match finished causing the disappointment of the spectators.

The Chilean, fourth seed and 22 in the world rankings of the Association of Professional Tennis players (ATP), suffered inconveniences in the throat the previous Monday and he doesn't trained enough, besides the fact that his two previous matches reached three sets it generated inflamation in his straight shoulder and elbow.

" One never expects to win in this way, it is a shame for him and for the tournament but these things happen. Since the beginning I realized that he was not in conditions to play, it was an atypical game to me. I just had to be there and to play ", explained the Brazilian after the match

In spite of everything, He said he is happy to have qualified to the semi-finals and for having more time to rest, though he refused to comment if he would like to face the Spaniard Carlos Moyá in the final, " it is necessary to go step by step ".

To reach the final, Guga will must defeat Mariano Zabaleta, This match is scheduled for the next saturday at 20:00 local time, Kuerten will face the Argentinian Mariano Zabaleta, who defeated Miranda 7-5 and 6-3.

This it will be just the second match between Kuerten, sixth seeded and 28 of the world, and Zabaleta, 44 in the ranking, at the beginning of this year, "Guga" defeated Zabaleta for 6-3 and 6-3 in the semi-finals of Auckland's tournament at New Zealand, where the Brazilian was the champion.

Jorge
02-27-2003, 11:34 PM
This is what i found on the González retirement. Hope you don't mind the bad translation.
I translated it from spanish. here is the original article:
http://mx.sports.yahoo.com/030227/7/x0v7.html

Lucas Arg
03-01-2003, 06:07 AM
Se retiro de Buenos Aires y ahora de Acapulco.

Yo creo que antes de entrar en un torneo deberia estar seguro de su condicion fisica. Es mejor descansar y luego jugar al 100%.