8. Hernych, Jan CZE 60
9. Lee, Hyung-Taik KOR 61
10. Malisse, Xavier BEL 62
11. Zabaleta, Mariano ARG 63
12. Fish, Mardy USA 64
13. Kohlschreiber, Philipp GER 65

Eclectic Goddess
07-07-2005, 07:15 PM
That list makes me sad due to all the people missing from it that I'd like to see. I suppose I'll just have to keep hope alive. There's always qualies, I suppose.

LaTenista
07-10-2005, 04:06 AM
I'm more than 90% positive 2 of the WCs are going to Fish and either Blake or Gambill. Also they will offer WCs to former champions - Kuerten and Enqvist.

Of the direct entries, I think Safin (knee surgery) & Cañas (injury and doping issue) might not be coming. Also Haas is borderline coming back from his ankle ligament tear - I really hope he´s better in time cause I really enjoy watching him play.

Looking forward to seeing Puerta, Gasquet, and Oli Rochus for the first time this year :)

LaTenista
07-10-2005, 04:13 AM
I hope Verdasco, Malisse, Zabaleta, and Baghdatis enter the qualies.

CocoT_Do
07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Vamos Tommy Mario Rafa and maybe Fernando I hope too that he enters tha qualies and go to the final draw !! :kiss:

Deboogle!.
07-11-2005, 07:38 PM
James Blake has been given a WC! :banana:
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050711/SPT/307110012/-1/CINCI

smucav
07-24-2005, 11:13 PM
7/24/05 e-mail from tournament:MEN'S 2005 PREVIEW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every player ranked high enough to get in has signed up for the 107th year of Cincinnati's world-class tennis tradition: The Western & Southern Financial Group MASTERS. Some of the men expected to play for the 2005 title are three-time Wimbledon champion and world No. 1 Roger Federer, French Open champ and teen phenom Rafael Nadal, three-time and defending champion Andre Agassi, 2003 champ and Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick, emerging star Richard Gasquet of France, Australian Open champion Marat Safin, as well as such stars as returning finalist Lleyton Hewitt and 2000 finalist Tim Henman, to name only a few.

Also, the tournament has extended wild cards to Americans James Blake, one half of the 2003 Doubles Championship team in Cincinnati and Mardy Fish, 2004 Athens Olympics silver medallist. These and other players will be competing in a 64-man draw for a piece of the $2.45 million total purse, with the singles winner walking away with $400,000. Cincinnati's tournament is the oldest in the nation still played in its original city, and it is now one of the most prestigious in the world. Great tickets are still available! Click the link below for information.

LaTenista
07-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Why don't we have PAW for wildcards into tournaments? I'd so kick a** at it :)

Fee
07-26-2005, 06:40 AM
So where is this rumor that Andy Murray will get a WC coming from? I just don't see that happening.

Dragan
07-26-2005, 10:11 AM
i feel that Ronny Ginepri has more of a case of a Wild Card then Murray, don't worry dude those Brits feel that Murray is the greatest thing since sliced bread and feel that tournament directors should be begging him to play at their tournaments! The final Wild Card may go to Kuerten I guess or Philippoussis

LaTenista
07-26-2005, 03:32 PM
I honestly don't think Kuerten is going to come.

There are two WCs remaining. They will probably give one to Ginepri now that he won Indy.

The Poo doesn't have a shot - not a tourney fave, sorry.

The other is still up in the air - Murray has a shot since the tournament director doesn't have his (insert your fave colorful metaphor here) and gives wildcards based on merit. For the women's event they gave a WC to a 15 year old from Denmark I'd never even heard of who apparently created some sort of buzz at Wimbledon. Murray has some good results this summer and being British is also a plus since there are quite a few ex-pats and Henman always has a crowd full of supporters here. I'm almost certain if he asked for a WC into the qualies the tourney would give him one without hesitation.

Eclectic Goddess
07-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Also, keep in mind that they will hold one wild card back until the last minute. In the event that someone who would have had to qualify in Cincinnati gets to the final weekend in Montreal, that person get the last wild card.

Personally, I'd like to see Guga get the wild card, or possibly Murray, but Ginepri does seem most likely.

LaTenista
07-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Also, keep in mind that they will hold one wild card back until the last minute. In the event that someone who would have had to qualify in Cincinnati gets to the final weekend in Montreal, that person get the last wild card.

Actually, anyone still playing in the SFs at Montreal who was slated to play qualies at Cincy will be awarded a SE (Special Excemption). My memory's a bit foggy at the moment, but this happened last year and I believe Thomas Johansson got an SE - before they were going to give him a WC, but since he got the SE, Alex Bogomov I think got a WC instead. But they do hold one back until the 11th hour. :p

Fee
07-26-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that JMG has asked for a Cincy wildcard, but I don't think he will get one unless he does well for the next two weeks in these Canadian Challengers. He has to show them that he's healthy, playing well, and won't waste it. I suppose that Gimelstob and Goldstein will also ask for them, since they are the other highest ranked Americans that didn't get in directly.

I have no problem with Murray getting a WC into qualies, that's fair enough.

smucav
07-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Also, keep in mind that they will hold one wild card back until the last minute. In the event that someone who would have had to qualify in Cincinnati gets to the final weekend in Montreal, that person get the last wild card.That's what the special exempt is for. Only a player who makes to the semifinal of Montreal and is on the qualifying list for Cincinnati can receive can earn the special exempt into Cincinnati. If there is no such player still alive in Montreal when the Cincinnati main draw is made, the special exempt is cleared & the highest alternate gets in the main draw. The special exempt is under the authority of the ATP & is not an "extra" wild card for the tournament organizers.

The wild cards for the main draw must be assigned by the time of the main draw (if they are unassigned at the time of the draw, the highest players on the alternate list get direct entry). The fact sheet isn't out yet, but last year the main draw was Friday afternoon. If it's at the same time this year, that will be during the middle of the Montreal quarterfinals.

Eclectic Goddess
07-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Okay, consider me set straight regarding the wild card / special exempt matter. I guess that's what I get for tuning out whenever the officials start talking during the draw party.

The fact sheet isn't out yet, but last year the main draw was Friday afternoon. If it's at the same time this year, that will be during the middle of the Montreal quarterfinals.
The draw IS going to be held on Friday afternoon, on the 12th.

LaTenista
07-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Ethical or not, last year at the draw party the tournament director postponed starting the draw ceremony until after Johansson's match had finished. As he got word ToJo had won/received the SE, he announced he was giving the last wildcard to Bogomov. Only then did they start placing the seeds into the draw.

I guess if the SE candiate is playing in the last QF at Montreal (which I don't believe starts until after the Cincy draw has been made) as long as they win, they will get added to the Cincy draw anyway, right?

Eclectic Goddess
07-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Ethical or not, last year at the draw party the tournament director postponed starting the draw ceremony until after Johansson's match had finished. As he got word ToJo had won/received the SE, he announced he was giving the last wildcard to Bogomov. Only then did they start placing the seeds into the draw.
I remember that.

Papakori
08-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Good luck:

Federer, Roger SUI 1
3 Nadal, Rafael ESP 3
18 Gonzalez, Fernando CHI 18
21 Ferrer, David ESP 21
24 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 24
26 Hrbaty, Dominik SVK 26
27 El Aynaoui, Younes MAR 27
30 Dent, Taylor USA 29
41 Andreev, Igor RUS 40
43 Berdych, Tomas CZE 42
44 Srichaphan, Paradorn THA 43
46 Chela, Juan Ignacio ARG 45
48 Beck, Karol SVK 47
50 Spadea, Vincent USA 49
5. Carlsen, Kenneth DEN 55
10. Hernych, Jan CZE 60
11. Lee, Hyung-Taik KOR 61
13. Zabaleta, Mariano ARG 63

Deboogle!.
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Ginepri given third WC

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050801/SPT02/308010016

Eclectic Goddess
08-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Ginepri given third WC

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050801/SPT02/308010016
Figures. No surprise there.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Lets go:

Johansson, Thomas
Johansson, Joachim
Gasquet, Richard
Novak, Jiri
Ancic, Mario
Rusedski, Greg
Andreev, Igor
Mardy Fish

Eclectic Goddess
08-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Lets go:

Johansson, Thomas
Johansson, Joachim
Gasquet, Richard
Novak, Jiri
Ancic, Mario
Rusedski, Greg
Andreev, Igor
Mardy Fish
Joachim Johansson is out for the rest of the year following his shoulder surgery, so he won't be there.

LaTenista
08-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Bobby Reynolds for the 11th hour wildcard, anyone? He totally rocks as I saw him last week at Lexington and now he's in the 3rd round for Washington. :woohoo:

Fee
08-04-2005, 06:47 PM
I agree. We've been doing that a lot lately, you and I. :D

smucav
08-07-2005, 11:26 PM
J.Johansson OUT; Santoro IN

dbnumberone
08-08-2005, 07:32 AM
if goldstein is the highest ranking american left, no doubt he deserves it - look at the 500s canadian who got it, & all the german wcs in their masters event, etc.
I don't really like that that's how it works, but if that's how it works elsewhere, that's how it should go for cincy.

dbnumberone
08-08-2005, 07:42 AM
or kim

smucav
08-08-2005, 10:17 PM
From 8/8/05 tournament e-mail:
The W&SFG Masters has also announced the recipients of its four wild cards. Americans ROBBY GINEPRI, JAMES BLAKE, MARDY FISH and France's GAEL MONFILS have all accepted wild cards into the main draw at this year's W&SFG MASTERS, which will be held August 12-21. Ginepri and Monfils have each won a tournament this year - for Monfils, it was his first.

David Kenzie
08-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Monfils already was given a WC in the other two US Masters Series, so this one doesn't surprise me. But I am quite impressed that he got them all !

LaTenista
08-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Strange how Monfils wins a clay tournament and gets offered a wildcard for a fast hard court TMS. The irony is that TMS is not Montreal. Gael "The WC king" Monfils - the true test will be to see what he does next year sans all the gifts into main draws.

Is Fish definitely playing? I think Reynolds is too far down on the qualie list to get in so I try to keep some hope alive he'll get in somehow. :scratch:

pesto
08-10-2005, 03:00 AM
I reckon Monfils deserves it. He's in the top 50 now, which would have given him direct entry if the cut-off date was later.

He won't need WC's any more as his ranking will take him into the main draw of most events by merit. I expect him to remain in the top 50, and probably to progress further.

Deboogle!.
08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I reckon Monfils deserves it. He's in the top 50 now, which would have given him direct entry if the cut-off date was later. But usually, that's irrelevant when it's a foreign player. It's funny b/c people blame the USTA for being xenophobic and all that but they go and give a WC to a French kid instead of one of the many Americans who could've used it and arguably deserved it too, based on their recent play in the US on the same surface (Reynolds, Goldstein, Vahaly, Jenkins, just to name a few).

LaTenista, I think at this point, Mardy's gonna try to play - at least that's what it says on his site. Of course, he could always pull out last minute. lol.

pesto
08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
3 out of the 4 WCs went to Americans, and the 4th to the most promising international teenager still in need of a WC. That seems like a reasonable balance to me.

Likewise, 3 out of 4 qualy WCs went to Americans, with the 4th going to Murray, who again is one of the most promising international teens who wouldn't make it based on his ranking alone.

LaTenista
08-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Monfils got his ranking as a direct result of WCs into so many tournaments. I love the irony that this ranking will be what gets him into tournaments next year.

I stand corrected, the true test for Monfils will be to see if he can stay in the Top 50.

Chloe le Bopper
08-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Yeah, Monfils blows. It's not like he just won a tournament or anything.

Boo hoo to the bitter Monfils WC haters :devil:

Deboogle!.
08-11-2005, 01:45 AM
3 out of the 4 WCs went to Americans, and the 4th to the most promising international teenager still in need of a WC. That seems like a reasonable balance to me.

Likewise, 3 out of 4 qualy WCs went to Americans, with the 4th going to Murray, who again is one of the most promising international teens who wouldn't make it based on his ranking alone.Right, and Tennis Canada gave WildCards to absolute nobodies. It's not like there were no Americans whose rankings weren't almost high enough, too? I doubt you'll see any promising Americans get WC into Paris this fall, that's all I'm saying.

I'm not saying Monfils didn't deserve it, I'm saying I think there were Americans who deserved it basically as much and who have supported the USTA in the past and if I were them I would see it as a slap in the face that an international person was picked instead. That's all.

Anyway, it's official now that Canas is out, here is the latest update:
-------
Early update 3:

Cincinnati Main: Canas, J.Johansson OUT; Santoro, R.Mello IN
Cincinnati Q: Ginepri, Goldstein, Monfils, Santoro (and Blake, Ulihrach from ALT) OUT; N.Lapentti, Bjorkman, Moodie, Tursunov IN.

estigma2001
08-11-2005, 05:41 AM
One more and Horna will make it to the Main draw!!!! please please
Andre i know you want some rest befrore the US Open :worship:

pesto
08-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Debstah: Well, as far as I'm aware, Canada boasts only one ATP level event, so it makes sense to use that to the advantage of home players. US has three Masters and a slam and a number of lesser tournaments, so they can afford to be more even-handed, although clearly they favour Americans (and I've no quarrel with that).

We only have Wimby and 2 ATP level events in the UK, yet both Wimby and Queens gave WCs to two foreign players.

Murray and Monfils at least manage to justify their WCs by getting through a round or two. I'm certainly happier about them getting WCs than Donald Young who's had 6 without winning a set at ATP level, or even a match at Challenger level. I'm sure there must be young Americans who could use them better than him.

LaTenista
08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah, Monfils blows. It's not like he just won a tournament or anything.

Boo hoo to the bitter Monfils WC haters :devil:

I am not a Monfils hater. I'm looking forward to seeing him for the first time next week in Cincy. ;)

However, I do question the treatment he's received as I can think of no other player in recent history to be given as many WCs into main draws of (mostly) big tournaments. Thought we were all enjoying a friendly, unheated discussion here. :p

smucav
08-11-2005, 05:50 PM
One more and Horna will make it to the Main draw!!!! please please
Andre i know you want some rest befrore the US Open :worship:He probably will get in even if no one else withdraws when/if the special exempt is cleared. Malisse or Mathieu must make it to the SF of Montreal to claim the SE for Cincinnati otherwise it will go to the next alternate.

Chloe le Bopper
08-11-2005, 08:29 PM
I am not a Monfils hater. I'm looking forward to seeing him for the first time next week in Cincy. ;)

However, I do question the treatment he's received as I can think of no other player in recent history to be given as many WCs into main draws of (mostly) big tournaments. Thought we were all enjoying a friendly, unheated discussion here. :p
Gasquet got the same treatment once upon a time. It doesn't hurt to be French and well managed.

TenHound
08-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Debstah, one look at his skin color will tell you why he got the WC...duh...Am. tv wants to broadcast a black male player, however dislikeable he may be. The racism is so crazy, that apparent JMac said something about tennis not being taken seriously until it has its Mike Jordan. Really, JMac, it does. His name is Roger Federer - ever seen him play? And heard him repeatedly referred to as the Jordan of tennis?? Clearly it's all about race.

*M*
08-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Debstah, one look at his skin color will tell you why he got the WC...duh...Am. tv wants to broadcast a black male player, however dislikeable he may be. The racism is so crazy, that apparent JMac said something about tennis not being taken seriously until it has its Mike Jordan. Really, JMac, it does. His name is Roger Federer - ever seen him play? And heard him repeatedly referred to as the Jordan of tennis?? Clearly it's all about race.Huh? If that were the case, then why not give it to someone like Scoville Jenkins? None of the wildcards are going to get on TV anyway.

Deboogle!.
08-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Debstah, one look at his skin color will tell you why he got the WC...duh...Am. tv wants to broadcast a black male player, however dislikeable he may be. The racism is so crazy, that apparent JMac said something about tennis not being taken seriously until it has its Mike Jordan. Really, JMac, it does. His name is Roger Federer - ever seen him play? And heard him repeatedly referred to as the Jordan of tennis?? Clearly it's all about race.uuuhhhhhh. right.

pesto
08-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Moving swiftly on...

How many WCs has Monfils got this year? Is there an archive of who was awarded WCs anywhere, or do you have to check out each tournament individually?

smucav
08-11-2005, 10:02 PM
How many WCs has Monfils got this year? Is there an archive of who was awarded WCs anywhere, or do you have to check out each tournament individually?Check each tournament individually.

The archived draws (html) on the ATP site indicate how each entrant got in the tournament (seeded, unseeded, special exempt, qualifier, lucky loser, or wild card):

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity/default.asp?player=MC65

(click on the name of each tournament for the singles draw in html)

I counted 8 wild cards already in 2005 for Monfils (ATP level). Cincinnati will make 9. (He qualified in Barcelona & got directly into his last 6 tournaments: Queen's Club through Sopot). If he stays in the top 50, he won't need anymore wild cards (except at the masters series tournaments with smaller draws: Madrid & Paris) for a while.

Chloe le Bopper
08-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Monfils being black certainly does make him more markettable, tennis-wise. However, it doesn't do much in regards to winning him titles and matches. That he does all on his own, and he's been doing a damn good job of it for his first year on tour :)

delsa
08-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Monfils being black certainly does make him more markettable, tennis-wise. However, it doesn't do much in regards to winning him titles and matches. That he does all on his own, and he's been doing a damn good job of it for his first year on tour :)
Exactly! And what helps is that he's very "crowd friendly" too... That makes him even more markettable. The "race" (there are no races inside the human race...) is irrelevent since he won't be on tv etc...and even if it was it is not the case here since his very good results only can justificate for him getting WCs. Why are North-American obsessed with "race", it seems? This has almost no importance whatsoever...
I agree he had a damn lot of WC into big tournaments but he honored them by winning matches after (defeating players like Gaudio, Malisse, Enqvist etc...giving a hard time to Hewitt...making it to the third round in Wimbly etc...). And it's quite normal and logical.
He would have entered direcly in the main draw if it would have been made later with his new ranking. He just won a title for his first year on tour. He is the reigning Junior World Champion. HC is his favorite surface. Despite all the WC, he's already showed he can make it through quallies. He won almost all the Challennger tournaments he entered this season or made it to the final...So he had his time in the Challenger but now he's "too good" for that at least for now he may come back to it later but now he's excited about testing himself among the big guys and that's quite understandable. Why wouldn't he do that if he has the potential? If he can have WC, he won't refuse them. He's not crazy. He's just taking his chances and have a very good agent... :p If someone is to blame for all these WC, it's the tournaments organisators...
Please silence those "haters"/"whinners", Gaël! ;)

darkcypherlad
08-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Hmmm...I click on the Entry List for a TMS tournament, and I get a Gael Monfils heated debate. Ah, the beauty of life's surprises. :)

Re: Monfils' supposed "unworthiness." Bollocks. This guy has proven his talent on the junior tour, which is the PRIMARY reason why he is getting Wildcards. Yes, he had a rocky beginning but that's be to expected. So did Gasquet and Nadal (for a time :P). But last week, he stepped it up and won a fairly hard tournament, beating a couple of tricky opponents along the way. He won a title, folks! In his first year on tour! That's very, very, very good! He deserves his WC and Top 50 ranking.

Re: Monfils' race. To say that, and not his talent, is the reason he's getting WC's is just plain tacky. This isn't affirmative action here people; it's tennis, and tennis often rewards talent. Monfils has it. Deal with it.

Re: Donald Young. Talk about disappointing. He's fast becoming a joke on the Tour and there are articles and blogs sharply criticizing his numerous WCs. Unlike Monfils, who has the results to back him up, Young has nothing but the promise of talent and a shiny American flag. If any player should be criticized for his WC's, it should be Young. And leave his race out of it, please.

New topic: I'm really rooting for Andy Murray here. Go Andy!

jazz_girl
08-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Will the draw be out today or tomorrow?

pesto
08-12-2005, 02:02 PM
And I think it does Young no favours. He's clearly a talented youngster who is not yet ready to play on the ATP tour. But if he keeps losing so abjectly, tournaments will tire of giving him wild cards, and he won't get them when he's mature enough to make good use of them (as Monfils and Murray have done this year).

If Young and his advisors feel he's outgrown the juniors, he should be tackling the futures circuit. Murray had won 4 futures tourneys before getting his first ATP WC.

It would have been ok to give Young, say, one WC at the beginning of the year, and another during the summer season, so he can see if he's progressing, but in-betweenwhiles it'd make more sense to play at a lower level, to get experience. It must be frustrating for other young Americans who feel they could use WCs better.

stuey87
08-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Will the draw be out today or tomorrow?

Tonight I'd imagine.

smucav
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Will the draw be out today or tomorrow?Main draw: Friday at 4:30 p.m.

Qualifying draw: Friday after 9:00 p.m.

jazz_girl
08-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Thank you :)

smucav
08-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Fish OUT, replacement TBA:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050811/SPT/308110012

LaTenista
08-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Reynolds please!!

kundalini
08-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Can Bobby Reynolds accept a wildcard since he is already on the main entry list for the Bronx Challenger?

What are the rules for wildcards?

Please not Donald Young! It is already dangerously close to becoming a freak show and he is bound to get one for the US Open.

Action Jackson
08-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I heard Andrew Murray got the WC.

LaTenista
08-12-2005, 05:11 PM
I heard Andrew Murray got the WC.

For the qualies. Are they changing it to a Main Draw one now? If so, who's now getting a qualie WC?

LaTenista
08-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Young already got a WC last year for qualies, I saw him lose to Okun 2-6, 2-6. We're not doing that again.

Deboogle!.
08-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Young already got a WC last year for qualies, I saw him lose to Okun 2-6, 2-6. We're not doing that again.LOL

I agree - Bobby Reynolds or Paul Goldstein to replace Mardy, PLEASE. Or even Brian Vahaly, another guy who's older and really put in his dues but isn't getting many favors from the USTA.

Never mind. It is Murray :o Nice to know that we're helping out other country's kids over our own. Poor guys like Bobby and Scoville who have to do it the hardy way :(
------------
Murray gets W&S Masters wild card

By Dustin Dow
Enquirer staff writer

Britain’s Andy Murray received the fourth main draw wild-card entry into the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters today.

Tournament officials granted Murray, 18, the wild card after American Mardy Fish, who was supposed to receive it, pulled out of the tourney as he is still dealing with a lingering wrist injury.

Ranked No. 145, Murray reached the third round of Wimbledon in July in his Grand Slam debut. The W&S Masters will be his first ATP Masters Series event.

smucav
08-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Unofficially, Paul-Henri Mathieu earns the special exempt (in SF of Montreal).

Bobby Reynolds or anyone else who is entered in a challenger next week cannot withdraw from that challenger to take a wild card into Cincinnati (unless cleared by the ATP supervisor which usually only occurs if the ATP made some error in the entry lists).

Donald Young is in the QF of Kalamazoo so if he loses there today, logistically he could make it to either the qualifying or main draw of Cincinnati (if offered a wild card to either). If he wins his QF in Kalamazoo, he couldn't make it to the qualifying. I have noticed in the past that he normally doesn't play back-to-back tournaments (either junior or ATP) which may be why he hasn't been in the conversation re. Cincinnati wild cards.

Someone on another forum is reporting that Murray's coach said on UK t.v. that he is receiving the main draw wild card.

Deboogle!.
08-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Fish's wild card may go to Paul Goldstein, who withdrew from the qualifying entry list yesterday. Or it could go to a total surprise. Or Murray or someone else could be bumped up to a main draw wild card.As I posted above, it went to Andy Murray.

Duncan
08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
personally i think it makes alot of sense to grant it to Murray, he was in a very tricky situation at his challenger event, he knew if he made the Q/F then he would'nt be able to take his place in the qualies so congrats to Andy :D

jtipson
08-12-2005, 05:48 PM
personally i think it makes alot of sense to grant it to Murray, he was in a very tricky situation at his challenger event, he knew if he made the Q/F then he would'nt be able to take his place in the qualies so congrats to Andy :D

Yes, it was a shame he had to miss the Montreal quallies last week, especially as he then went and lost the qf in Vancouver on a third-set tie-break.

Fee
08-12-2005, 06:15 PM
I think Goldstein is nursing an injury or something. I spoke to him at Aptos and he definitely had plans to play Cincy, even if he had to qualify, so there must be some reason for him to pull out here.

From a marketing standpoint, I can see why they gave this WC to Murray. There is a curiosity factor around him at the moment. On the other hand, I know a couple of Americans who are in Cincy practicing today and I know they are NOT happy campers.

Deboogle!.
08-12-2005, 06:54 PM
On the other hand, I know a couple of Americans who are in Cincy practicing today and I know they are NOT happy campers.:(

and hopefully paul is ok!!

+alonso
08-12-2005, 07:05 PM
when the main draw will be out ?????????

smucav
08-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Agassi OUT; Malisse is the highest ranked lucky loser candidate (presuming he's still around).

AlexisIII
08-15-2005, 05:14 AM
Agassi OUT; Malisse is the highest ranked lucky loser candidate (presuming he's still around).

Of course he is here. He knew when to lose :rolleyes: