Can someone please explain to me the tier structure in place for the ATP? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can someone please explain to me the tier structure in place for the ATP?

Sonic
07-25-2002, 12:52 AM
With the WTA, I feel its more clear what type of tournaments there are. GS, Tier 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

For the ATP I find it more blurred. You get a bigger diversity in the rankings of players entering. A few top names enter each event, whereas in the WTA you don't find top players in low tier events. You get International Series and International Series Gold, but when I look at the names for commitments, I can't see a strong pattern.

Can anyone help? Maybe post the type of tiers, and give examples (or all even!) of tournaments in that category?

Thanks!

Dissident
07-25-2002, 02:44 AM
hmmm, let me try. Writing the all here is kinda pushing it a little, though, isnt it??? :o ;)

International Series events
35 race points - Adelaide, Sydney...
40 race points - Buenos Aires, Estoril...
45 race points - London-Queens Club, Halle...

International Series Gold events
50 race points - Dubai, Acapulco...
60 race points - Barcelona...

Tennis Masters Series events
100 points - All of them

Tennis Masters Cup
Dont remember exactly, but each round robin win means X points, and then it goes as the others.

Grand Slams
200 points - All of them

I took the rank points based on how many the WINNERS of each tournament wins. Also, it included only the tournaments played this season untill this week. :)

Chloe le Bopper
07-25-2002, 02:55 AM
The tennis masters cup winner, if undefeated gets 150 points.

20 per round robin win, for a total of 60, if three are won.

40 for the semi finals.

And 50 for winning the final.

Dissident
07-25-2002, 02:56 AM
Thanks Becca, I will edit my post now and it will be complete. And I will get all the praise for it. *sticks out tongue*
LOL
Joking ;)

Chloe le Bopper
07-25-2002, 02:57 AM
Yes *pretends not to notice the two..make that three posts following it* :o

Sonic
07-25-2002, 10:28 AM
so six tiers?

and is it done by prize money, or just tournament prestige?

thanks for help hitman and becca :D

Dissident
07-25-2002, 10:56 PM
You´re welcome.
Its divided by both. Usually, the tournaments with more prestige award big prize money too.

But its kinda weird that we can have IS AND ISG awarding 50 race points for winners both... :p