Juan Martín del Potro Cheering/Tournaments 2006 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Juan Martín del Potro Cheering/Tournaments 2006

Pages : [1] 2 3

jazz_girl
06-30-2005, 04:22 PM
I think it's time he has his own cheering thread!
He's played for the first time against a top 100 player and he beat him! I'm talking about the Biella challenger and he already beat:
Nieminen by 6-3 6-2
Di Mauro by 6-3 5-7 6-4
Good Luck! :)

Denaon
06-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Jazz, thx for starting a thread for him!!!!

All the luck to Juan!!! :bounce:

jazz_girl
07-01-2005, 09:05 PM
He lost to Labadze by 6-2 6-4. But still, it's a great thing he made it to the QF of a challenger :yeah:

jazz_girl
07-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Juan Martín move up 117 places in one week! :worship:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/entrysystem/Default.asp?range=301-350

Sagiel
07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
I heard he will get a WC for an Italian challenger (Im guessing the Rimini Challenger), anybody know if that is true?

jazz_girl
07-04-2005, 10:51 PM
I don't know. If I hear something I'll let you know.

+alonso
07-29-2005, 03:36 AM
he's playing in campos do jordao ;) :yeah: Está en semis

R1 Echagaray 1-6 6-2 6-4
R2 Capdeville :sad: 6-3 7-6
QF Motomura 6-2 7-6
SF Daniel :D

Denaon
08-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Go Juan in the Qually for US Open!!!! It would be so great if he could make it to the main draw!!! :bounce:

Nathaliia
08-23-2005, 09:21 AM
:) a great idea to write about him somewhere else than in "futures" forum. he doesn't have an easy draw... first Delgado - experienced and playing good at U.S. Open, then perhaps Bjorkman... don't need to introduce Bjorkman... but i believe he'll be alright

jazz_girl
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
It's amazing he's playing in the US Open quallies! :) I just read it in the newspapers. He's achieved so many great things, that even if he loses to Delgado, that would be fine. It's already a huge achievement to play in the quallies with just 16 years old :worship:

Action Jackson
08-23-2005, 12:36 PM
He has plenty of time and this will all be valuable experience for him.

Nathaliia
08-24-2005, 12:40 AM
3/6 2/6 well, happens. but i really thought he would have won.

jazz_girl
08-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Is he also playing in the Juniors?

*Ljubica*
08-24-2005, 06:34 AM
It's a shame he lost, but he is very young - and as GWH said - he has plenty of time. It was a tremendous achievement for him to even get high enough to qualify for the "quallies" if that makes sense, and it will have been a great learning experience for him. Good Luck to him in the future. And I don't know about the Juniors, Jazz - but Andy Murray had the option to play in both the main event and the Juniors at Wimbledon this year - so I guess it would be possible.

Action Jackson
08-24-2005, 06:43 AM
He could play juniors in 2006 as well, if he chose to do this and will probably stick around for the junior tournament, then go back to the Futures after this, but this should only be a learning curve for him now.

Eugenia
08-28-2005, 07:32 PM
A pic of Juan in Roland Garros :)

Sagiel
08-29-2005, 03:09 AM
He most likely wont play Juniors or futures again, after winning ArgentinaF3 he said that his plans for the second half of the year were to play in the challengers circuit, even if he had to play quallies. Given that his current ranking is good enough to get into the MD of all challengers, Im guessing thats were he will be playing for the rest of the year.

Nathaliia
08-29-2005, 08:47 AM
It wouldn't be a bad idea to move to European challengers which are still few to come (preferably claycourt ones, like Szczecin in Poland.. ahh I'm so mean) and get more experience.

Sagiel
08-31-2005, 05:43 AM
That may be a good idea. Im also expecting him to take part of the late october/november south american challengers (the Petrobras series). Or at least Buenos Aires $100k, he should get a WC there if he needs one.

Nathaliia
08-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Ohh I forgot the South American Series. So perhaps he wouldn't like to play too much and he'll skip Europe. :(

*Ljubica*
09-01-2005, 06:38 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea to move to European challengers which are still few to come (preferably claycourt ones, like Szczecin in Poland.. ahh I'm so mean) and get more experience.

Szczecin has a brilliant line up! I was really impressed when I saw it - have fun there!

jazz_girl
09-14-2005, 07:09 PM
http://www.infobae.com/notas/nota.php?Idx=210540&IdxSeccion=100439
According to Jaite, if Juan does well in the Copa Petrobras, he'll get a WC for the ATP Buenos Aires next year. They want to see if Juan is prepared for it, so they don't rush him to anything :yeah:

josemanuel
10-08-2005, 02:20 AM
In a few days start the JMDP southamerican clay tournaments.
Great opportunity to gain big points.
Good luck Juan Martin!!!!

Nathaliia
10-08-2005, 06:37 PM
he'll be OK. no misunderstanding like his last match... it was USO vs Delgado :rolleyes:

kid you go for it!

Nathaliia
10-08-2005, 07:34 PM
ohh the first oppontent will be Paul Capdeville from Chile, seeded 4 !!!!

fco253
10-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Good start of this swing, knocking off a seeded player...

With this long run of challengers ahead of him, I feel JMDP will finish the year around 150th...

And I think it was a wise decision to take a month off... he has already played over 70 matches this year.

Have you noticed that he is now listed in some places as 1'95 or 1'96 instead 1'93? It's not that odd, since he has just turned 17, but this guy is still growing!

Nathaliia
10-12-2005, 11:05 AM
haha yeaah... the data i had while started following his career were so unactual that i forgot them but indeed this kid is growing ;) and he looks quite fit, kinda safin-like.
finally i've some time to congratulate :yeah: i dont remember how many challengers are in that swing and i dunno if he's gonna play in all of them but sure i agree it's possible he may end year at about 150th (he needs 100 more points than he has at the moment...) starting the new year with winning ;) sao paulo challenger, it used to be a lucky one!

Nathaliia
10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Well, as I feel to be the moral administrator of this thread :angel: I think I should write the scores which we know so far.
Quito challenger 25.000$
1st round JMDP def. Paul Capdeville (CHI, 4) 6/3 6/2
2nd round JMDP def. Jan Mertl (CZE) 7/5 6/2

In QF he'll face Tiago Alves (BRA, 7). The ATP site says, they've met 5 times so far, when first 3 matches took Alves (2 on clay, 1 on hard), but the last 2 belonged to the Argentine = Chile futures final on clay and 1st round of Belo Horizonte challenger on hard.
Gained already points should allow the youngster to reach the 200th position
Today we can follow the scores live at 10 a.m. local time and 5 p.m. Middle European time :p = go to "challenger series" and click "Quito"

josemanuel
10-15-2005, 02:06 AM
JMDP lost against Alves. Real pity.
Good luck in Bogota!!!

Pixie
10-15-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm following with interest JMDP's results this year but i don't know a lot about his game. For those who have seen him play : what impressed you with his game ? What are his strong/weak point ?

BTW bravo for this great year JMDP :yeah:

Nathaliia
10-15-2005, 03:07 PM
the shortest sum-up is "Nalbandian with service" ;) but he makes lot of UE... which can be avoided if he had more experience of course - he does have a fighting nature, but should focus more on game. I hope he has or will get pretty soon a good team to work wih him on those elements. He admires Safin and Hewitt and really plays quite similar... he can be like them in future, but there's another possibility he'll be something between Gonzo (with closing eyes and playing forehand) and Acasuso (with his strange attitude to tennis). When I asked Chela in Szczecin, he couldn't give a direct answer if JMDP will ever reach the top ten. He said smth like "you never know, he's really too young to predict. everything can happen".
there were already many young guys that Argentina linked the hope with... like world No1 in juniors Brian Dabul (born in 1984 so still young!), like Edgardo "injured forever" Massa etc etc etc.

i've got a feeling NOW it'll work out ;)

Pixie
10-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks Nathaliia. It's seems to be a little like Gasquet two or three years before if I do understand : big potential but perhaps he'll need time to use it the good way...About what told Chela, I think it's the right thing to say : he puts less pressure on the youngster and of course we never know how these brilliants "kids" are able to do the transition between junior/senior (a well-known problem for youngsters in France...but I think few of these were as promising, apart from Jerôme Inzerillo nowadays).

I hope he will play the main draw in Roland Garros 2006...and I think he'll do, but wait and see ;)

delsa
10-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks Nathaliia. It's seems to be a little like Gasquet two or three years before if I do understand : big potential but perhaps he'll need time to use it the good way...About what told Chela, I think it's the right thing to say : he puts less pressure on the youngster and of course we never know how these brilliants "kids" are able to do the transition between junior/senior (a well-known problem for youngsters in France...but I think few of these were as promising, apart from Jérôme Inzerillo nowadays).

I hope he will play the main draw in Roland Garros 2006...and I think he'll do, but wait and see ;)
A curse you mean! :tape:
At least JMDP is having solid wins in Challengers and Futures among the seniors if you know what i mean... ;)
I'd really like to be able to see him play but some ppl who did told me they were really impressed by him. So i trust them. They said something like he "moved really well" on the court...:shrug: ;)

Pixie
10-16-2005, 07:20 AM
At least JMDP is having solid wins in Challengers and Futures among the seniors if you know what i mean... ;)

That's why my comparison with young french isn't very good ;) JMDP seems to improve his game very quick : he hasn't made extraordinary things in the juniors in the last 12 months (of course it's relative) like Young against whom he was losing last december...but today I'd really like to know the result of a new confrontation...

Nathaliia
10-16-2005, 04:59 PM
jmdp shouldnt play any juniors events. it's like moving backwards. i guess he'd even lose some matches against top juniors, maybe against ryan sweeting, but it's different game. he should look up to new season between seniors only. and i repeat once again, he needs a great team if he wants to move to the top quickly instead of stucking around 150th or getting into top 100 and once reaching 15-20th, and then falling & stucking around 50-70th.

Pixie
10-16-2005, 06:30 PM
jmdp shouldnt play any juniors events. it's like moving backwards. i guess he'd even lose some matches against top juniors, maybe against ryan sweeting, but it's different game. he should look up to new season between seniors only. and i repeat once again, he needs a great team if he wants to move to the top quickly instead of stucking around 150th or getting into top 100 and once reaching 15-20th, and then falling & stucking around 50-70th.

I totally agree with you...I was talking about an eventual match on the senior circuit ;)

Nathaliia
10-18-2005, 01:34 PM
so looks like now we're in Bogota.
1st round Juan Martin def. Santiago Gonzalez (MEX) 6/4 6/3

in next round he'll play local hope (and my hope... but not in that match!) Santiago Giraldo (WC) who defeated the no3 seed Boris Pashanski. to me it looks like a three setter but in spite of me supporting both youngsters, i hope for result similar to the one from junior RG 2005 ;) lol i remember i was learning constitution law to my exam and Marcel was livescoring that match to my mobile :p

Pixie
10-19-2005, 07:05 AM
in next round he'll play local hope (and my hope... but not in that match!) Santiago Giraldo (WC) who defeated the no3 seed Boris Pashanski. to me it looks like a three setter but in spite of me supporting both youngsters, i hope for result similar to the one from junior RG 2005 ;) lol i remember i was learning constitution law to my exam and Marcel was livescoring that match to my mobile :p

I bet a two setter for JMDP. RG is a very difficult period every year for the studies...and I can understand you pretty well as I am a law student too ;)

Nathaliia
10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
I bet a two setter for JMDP. RG is a very difficult period every year for the studies...and I can understand you pretty well as I am a law student too ;)
;) yeaaah from the middle of december and esp. whole january is one big getting grades from exercises in winter period (seeyou Aussie O) and first 2 weeks of February we have big exams (of course they must hold a challenger in my uni city that time).
may is a beautiful month when you get grades from exercises in summer period, when you want to go to pre-dates if you're a good student :p and when they have RG. i watched only 2 sets (Chucho vs Roddick) of all RG 2005 on that one day i was at home. june is full of exams and Wimbledon.
that's why i watched kinda 90% of matches at us open shown on eurosport.

where do you study? Paris?

Pixie
10-19-2005, 11:48 AM
;)
where do you study? Paris?

well I hope you know a little bit France...because I've studied 3 years at Le Havre (normandy) (one class repeated because of parties and music), 3 years at Lille (north) and I'm finishing this year at Rennes (Brittany)...like tennismen, I move a lot ;).

At the moment, I shouldn't speak to you because of really importants exams but I'm just fed up with it sometimes so...

Before someone do that I say :topic: , but as you wrote before, it seems that you are the moderator of this thread ;)

*Ljubica*
10-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Juan Martin has been invited to play in the big exhibition tournament, Copa Argentina de Tenis, in December. It will be a great opportunity for him to play with some of the big stars like Guga - Good Luck Juan Martin :) Here is the full list of players:-

Mariano Puerta
David Nalbandian
Gastón Gaudio
Juan Ignacio Chela
Juan Monaco
José Acasuso
Guillermo Cañas
Agustín Calleri
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
Mariano Zabaleta
Franco Squillari
Gustavo Kuerten

Nathaliia
10-19-2005, 02:23 PM
well I hope you know a little bit France...because I've studied 3 years at Le Havre (normandy) (one class repeated because of parties and music), 3 years at Lille (north) and I'm finishing this year at Rennes (Brittany)...like tennismen, I move a lot ;).

At the moment, I shouldn't speak to you because of really importants exams but I'm just fed up with it sometimes so...

Before someone do that I say :topic: , but as you wrote before, it seems that you are the moderator of this thread ;)
ohh me asking about Paris might sound a bit silly, sure i know there are other places in France as well ;) but this year in Paris i saw 2 universities buildings so i thought maybe you study in one of them. i've never been to Le Havre, Lille or Rennes but i know where to locate them on map and i know the football clubs from these cities.

so you're an experienced student ;) i started my 2nd year... so everything before me - even to get fed up with it. we have 5 years of law studies in Poland. i've just finished classes for today. tomorrow i have only 1 lecture :yeah: (small criminals law? geez how to translate it :confused: )

i think we're not making an off-topic b'cause as long as JMDP doesn't have his own forum and i guess it won't happen fast, the others have a chance to get known the JMDP supporters ;), and i think there are many threads for players with real off-topic stuff. and no i'm not a moderator... but i think everything's under control so far!

kindest greetings, have a nice day and good luck to Juan Martin today! ;)
N.

Nathaliia
10-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Juan Martin has been invited to play in the big exhibition tournament, Copa Argentina de Tenis, in December. It will be a great opportunity for him to play with some of the big stars like Guga - Good Luck Juan Martin :) Here is the full list of players:-

Mariano Puerta
David Nalbandian
Gastón Gaudio
Juan Ignacio Chela
Juan Monaco
José Acasuso
Guillermo Cañas
Agustín Calleri
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
Mariano Zabaleta
Franco Squillari
Gustavo Kuerten
wow the field is so strong! but will Mariano Zabaleta be able to play after surgery? Guillermo Cańas will be allowed to play? Guga is specially invited i guess... hmm
possible winning few sets against stars like Gaudio or Nalbandian would surely make JMDP more confident :yeah: and it's gonna be a good lesson!

Pixie
10-19-2005, 03:11 PM
ohh me asking about Paris might sound a bit silly, sure i know there are other places in France as well ;) but this year in Paris i saw 2 universities buildings so i thought maybe you study in one of them. i've never been to Le Havre, Lille or Rennes but i know where to locate them on map and i know the football clubs from these cities.

i think we're not making an off-topic b'cause as long as JMDP doesn't have his own forum and i guess it won't happen fast, the others have a chance to get known the JMDP supporters ;), and i think there are many threads for players with real off-topic stuff. and no i'm not a moderator... but i think everything's under control so far!

Don't think you're silly, I didn't even know about these 2 universities. Perhaps you know better France than I actually ;)

About the off topic, I have to get used to MTF's style because I usually go on Gasquet's site where we don't do much off topic :)

OMG i really have to try to work mpy exams now...

*Ljubica*
10-19-2005, 06:34 PM
wow the field is so strong! but will Mariano Zabaleta be able to play after surgery? Guillermo Cańas will be allowed to play? Guga is specially invited i guess... hmm
possible winning few sets against stars like Gaudio or Nalbandian would surely make JMDP more confident :yeah: and it's gonna be a good lesson!

I don't know about Zabaleta - but I guess Cañas will be allowed to play because it's an exhibition, not an ATP tourney, so they can include who they like ;) And - yes - Guga had some kind of special invitation I believe. It would certainly be a great event to attend - if it wasn't on the other side of the world for me of course! I've just come back from a week in Stockholm and a weekend at the Madrid quallies so that's all my tennis travels til next year. Don't work too hard people - so glad my Uni days are behind me now :)

Nathaliia
10-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Pixie, looks like you feeling for 2 sets and my feeling something bad can happen got mixed. JMDP lost 4/6 1/6. It seems Juan Martin can be tired with long season already. Giraldo is one year older than him and had a calmer season. He is a talent as well, no doubt about it. Maybe in next tournament the score would be opposite.

Good luck with exam preparations :wavey:

Rosie haha... i don't complain about uni!!! ;) i'm a workaholic! :p today gonna work on subject "public administration and private administration" - i have a presentation on Wednesday ;)
but i go home today b'cause we're going to a wedding... at least when i'm home i'll scan pics from Szczecin :yeah:

*Ljubica*
10-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Pixie, looks like you feeling for 2 sets and my feeling something bad can happen got mixed. JMDP lost 4/6 1/6. It seems Juan Martin can be tired with long season already. Giraldo is one year older than him and had a calmer season. He is a talent as well, no doubt about it. Maybe in next tournament the score would be opposite.

Good luck with exam preparations :wavey:

Rosie haha... i don't complain about uni!!! ;) i'm a workaholic! :p today gonna work on subject "public administration and private administration" - i have a presentation on Wednesday ;)
but i go home today b'cause we're going to a wedding... at least when i'm home i'll scan pics from Szczecin :yeah:

Public and private administration sounds pretty boring to me - but glad you're enjoying it. And hope you enjoy the wedding at the weekend. Look forward to the photos :)

delsa
10-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Wow. Thanks for the info Rosie.
Looks like there will be a lot of fantastic match-ups at this exhibition event, Copa Argentina de Tenis! :hearts:
It will be a great opportunity for JMDP to test himself against experienced stars and have a lot of fun, gain confidence etc...Maybe some of these players are or used to be his idols? ;)
It's not that surprising that he lost in Bogota against Gilardo. Had they already played each other before in challengers, in futures?
He won his first match anyway. That's already good. He accumulated a lot of good wins and a few "lessons-losses" this year. That's what's important.

[Off topic]I didn't choose to go at Uni (i'm a preppy instead) but i must admit i can get fed up with work sometimes too. But overall i pretty much enjoy it. Especially since i'm only studying the subjects i like now, not all the other things i didn't enjoy i had to study before...:p
Hey, Pixie! I just noticed you were on the RG.net forums (more and more posters from there have signed up on MTF i see... like this guy Juanito, there was also Atenea/Daniela and Sinead/Sweet4Richard/Tennisgirl18 (lol @ all the screen names) from the start etc...). You moved a lot in the north area of Fr i see. Good luck with your work. ;)
I didn't understand you were a law student Nathaliia. I wasn't sure actually. Great! :cool: [/Off topic]

Pixie
10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Hey, Pixie! I just noticed you were on the RG.net forums (more and more posters from there have signed up on MTF i see... like this guy Juanito, there was also Atenea/Daniela and Sinead/Sweet4Richard/Tennisgirl18 (lol @ all the screen names) from the start etc...).

Perhaps fans of Gasquet feel a little... "unemployed" since he is injured (unemployed because everybody knows that Richard usually listen to our advices in order to improve ;) ). Rather, MTF is very cool for tennis addicts like me.

Have you posted on RG.net yet ? I've never seen your name there :confused: Perhaps you've changed your name ? Perhaps you're too shy ? But who are you for god's sake ?!!! OK OK I stop.. I 'm just a little agitated because of the tragic exam I've just balled up...

About Giraldo-Del potro's H2H, they met each other this year at Roland Garros where Del Potro won 6-1 6-4. I don't know about other confrontations.
I'd like to know a little more about Giraldo, hope someone's got information.

Nathaliia, as you say the season is perhaps a little long for JMDP...Hope he won't do too much because some other challengers are coming now in a row for him...it'd be a pity if he was injured at early 2006 season...

Nathaliia
10-20-2005, 08:17 PM
ok ok let's start from the beginning

1) no photos today - i've just come home and i'm tiiiiiiiired. photos tomorrow. everyone's invited ;)

2) yes i am a law student... ehh i thought everybody already know this ;) i know i don't look like ;)

3) Richard Gasquet - i havent seen him in action too much... but for sure his bckh is :eek: and he is talented ... obvious. last year he lost in 1st round of the lovely Szczecin challenger behaving like a bad spoiled child. but i know he grew up during next few months and now he's more predictable. i don't follow his career too much, maybe i will start one day, but maybe he'll be next Grosjean? i like Seb a lot, he's one of my faves.

4) YES UNFORTUNATELY JMDP IS INJURED :sad: :sad: :sad: - too many matches! it was written in Bogota's challenger thread. let me quote
He said he was having a couple of physical problems (didn't specify which ones) and that he expected it was nothing serious, but that his main hope was to be able to play the match normally...

5) Santiago Giraldo, meet him at http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=57791

Nathaliia
10-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Santiago (Chile) challenger
(8) RAMIREZ HIDALGO, Ruben ESP v DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG
the match is today i've heard... damn.... good luck.

delsa
10-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Good Luck! :bounce:
Does he have a nickname (shorter than JMDP http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/d010.gif )?
And when is this exhibition tournament in which he'll participate supposed to take place?

Pixie, i PMed you. That way no more off topic... ;)

Nathaliia
10-26-2005, 10:36 AM
this busy girl nathaliia doesnt have good news.

jmdp (i havent heard of any shorter nickname... btw this one is invented by me on this forum as far as i remember) lost to ramirez hidalgo 2/6 7/5 1/6. long busy season. go and have a rest

please.

or you'll have problems in the new one starting in south america from the beginning of january.

Pixie
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Nathaliia, have you got news about JMDP's injury ? It would have been crazy to play with it in Santiago... He is perhaps just tired finally (?). In any case, it will be difficult to play Montevideo, Guayaquil and Aracaju in a row (at least). Hope he won't burn himself out :(

Nathaliia
10-26-2005, 07:56 PM
no news, unfortunately :( i don't know any portals in Argentina and i cannot speak Spanish. sucks.

delsa
10-26-2005, 11:19 PM
:( What's this injury? Is it something serious?
Well, now it's even clearer he should rest.

In any case, it will be difficult to play Montevideo, Guayaquil and Aracaju in a row (at least).
:eek: OMFG Is that the plan? In that condition...:tape:

Is there a Spanish speaker with more news on him?

Nathaliia
11-01-2005, 10:51 PM
whoooah !!!
I don't know if the injury is over, or did it finish in the second set, but the result of the first round of Montevideo challenger (50.000$) is true

Juan Martin del Potro def. Flavio Saretta (BRA, 5) 0-6 ,7-5 ,6-4

Next to play is Fabio Fognini (ITA, Q).

*Ljubica*
11-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Good Luck! :bounce:
Does he have a nickname (shorter than JMDP http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/d010.gif )?
And when is this exhibition tournament in which he'll participate supposed to take place?

Pixie, i PMed you. That way no more off topic... ;)

Delsa - sorry I haven't been here for a while - I was in Stockholm and Madrid - and then really busy at work. Anyway - the Copa Argentina de Tenis is held at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club (BALTC for short!) in the second week of December. I will try and bring you as much news and reports as I can from the Argentine Press and from friends of mine who are attending the event - I am not a native Spanish speaker but I do read the Argentine Press as often as I can and try to translate anything useful - just often don't have the time to do everything I want to :sad:

Pixie
11-02-2005, 01:05 PM
well done JMDP, this is a good win against Saretta :) . It's a pity not to know a little more about this strange score...Anyway the next match against another youngster will be interesting

Nathaliia
11-03-2005, 10:30 PM
he won 6:1 6:4 against Foginini wow... i dunno who he plays next... i am in germany and quite busy at the challenger... practising my german hehe

Caralimon
11-04-2005, 12:28 AM
He has a good draw, plays Ventura next. Then, hopefully Gonzalez or Luzzi

Pixie
11-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Apart from the fact that Ventura mustn't be underrated (on clay), I admit that JMDP has a good draw. He can clearly do something good in this tournament. His win against Fognini, a good junior player last year, shows that JMDP has jumped across the junior competition this year, which is very impressive :)

Nathaliia, I don't have much time to follow your "on the road" travel but I hope to find your challengers' memoirs in my library soon, with a sticker "the polish Kerouac" on it ;)

*Ljubica*
11-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Some news from Uruguay - apologies for my translation!

http://www.tandilportandil.com.ar/leerdeportes.asp?id=7654

In a duel between two men from Tandil, del Potro celebrates in Montevideo.

Juan Martín del Potro, one of the greatest hopes on the national tennis scene, advanced to the final of the South American Cup Petrobras circuit, that is played on clay. Del Potro beat fellow tandilense Maximo González by a score of 6/4, 6/1. The contest is taking place in the Carrasco Tennis Club, in Montevideo, and has 50 thousand dollars in prize money. Tomorrow, Juan Martín will be play in the decisive match of the contest against the Serb, Boris Pashanski, who previously overcame American Hugo Armando.

Btw - his scoreline against Ventura was 1/6, 6/2, 6/3.

jazz_girl
11-06-2005, 01:54 AM
I got to see a part of the last set, and I like what I saw :) He's a very good player, and I can't wait to see him play live in the Copa Argentina de Tenis.

Nathaliia
11-06-2005, 10:54 AM
:bounce: and good luck! it would be a good gift for.... my birthday ;) actually it"s nxt saturday but i have nth against few challengers won in a row.

*Ljubica*
11-06-2005, 12:21 PM
:bounce: and good luck! it would be a good gift for.... my birthday ;) actually it"s nxt saturday but i have nth against few challengers won in a row.

Then hope you he wins it for you :hug: Next Saturday - November 12th - that would have been my dearest Mother's birthday too (she passed away when I was much younger) - so I will never forget your birthday Nathi - and wish you all the best.

Action Jackson
11-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I got to see a part of the last set, and I like what I saw :) He's a very good player, and I can't wait to see him play live in the Copa Argentina de Tenis.

Well I just hope he tries to qualify for the AO in Jan, he has no need for junior events now, so it should be good to see how he progresses.

*Ljubica*
11-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Photo of Juan Martin from Caracas:-

Nathaliia
11-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Then hope you he wins it for you :hug: Next Saturday - November 12th - that would have been my dearest Mother's birthday too (she passed away when I was much younger) - so I will never forget your birthday Nathi - and wish you all the best.
Awww... Actually, I didn"t know your Mother passed away... but nice to know she had birthday on 12th November... reserved only for the special people :yeah:

and thank you for a photo ;)

*Ljubica*
11-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Awww... Actually, I didn"t know your Mother passed away... but nice to know she had birthday on 12th November... reserved only for the special people :yeah:

and thank you for a photo ;)

:hug:

Nathaliia
11-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Well I just hope he tries to qualify for the AO in Jan, he has no need for junior events now, so it should be good to see how he progresses.
Well, he hasn't played in any junior events since Roland Garros 2005 and now he's ranked in top 200 while after this tournament he would be ranked even higher. So I don't really think if he even considers playing in more junior events.

Nathaliia
11-06-2005, 03:07 PM
I THINK WE HAVE GOT IT !!! THE MONTEVIDEO KING !!!

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO DEF. BORIS PASHANSKI (SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO) 6/3 2/6 7/6(3)

SCORES POINT BY POINT IN CHALLENGER SERIES THREAD

Pixie
11-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Well, he hasn't played in any junior events since Roland Garros 2005 and now he's ranked in top 200 while after this tournament he would be ranked even higher. So I don't really think if he even considers playing in more junior events.

I agree. He also played USO qualies but wasn't in the junior draw...I guess he will do the same in australia

Eugenia
11-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Congratulations Juan Martín for winning your first challenger!!! :banana:
I watched the match: great first set, and I love the way he celebrated his title! :woohoo: :hearts: :bounce: :aparty: :hug: :bigclap:
Vamos Juan!!! :worship:

Eugenia
11-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Ficha técnica de Juan Martín Del Potro
(sábado 5 de noviembre, 7:56 PM)

BUENOS AIRES, nov 5 (DyN) - Esta es la ficha técnica del joven tenista tandilense Juan Martín Del Potro, una de las revelaciones de la temporada 2005 del tenis argentino:

.- Edad: 17 años (23/09/1988, Tandil)

.- Peso: 85kg.

.- Estatura: 1,95 m.

.- Juega con: Derecha (revés a dos manos)

.- Entrenador: Marcelo Gómez

.- Récord 2005: 59 victorias-18 derrotas (se cuentan partidos de Futures y Challengers, incluyendo quallies)

.- Lo mejor de la temporada 2005: En challengers, finalista en Campos do Jordao; semifinalista en Reggio Calabria, Belo Horizonte y Montevideo; cuartos de final en Biella, Quito y Montevideo. En Futures, campeón en el Argentina-3 (Còrdoba) y en el Chile 1 y 2 (ambos en Santiago). Además llegó a otra final y a dos semifinales.

- Mejores victorias: Jarkko Nieminen (Finlandia) por 6-3 y 6-2; Flavio Saretta (Brasil) por 0-6, 7-5 y 6-4; Marcos Daniel (Brasil) por 6-3 y 7-6 y Thiago Alves (Brasil) por 6-1 y 6-1.

Eugenia
11-06-2005, 06:19 PM
"Mis espejos son Coria y Nalbandian", afirmo del Potro

(sábado 5 de noviembre, 7:57 PM)

BUENOS AIRES, nov 5 (DyN) - Este tandilense, que pocos días atrás cumplió 17 años, es una de las grandes esperanzas del tenis argentino. Flaco, alto, con golpes naturales, sin esfuerzo, Juan Martín del Potro piensa en un buen futuro para él, asegura que "este año conseguí mucho más de lo que pensaba" y afirma que sus "espejos" son Guillermo Coria y David Nalbandian.

Del Potro, que está pagando su viaje de egresados, ha protagonizado esta temporada el ascenso más espectacular de ATP. En la primera semana de enero, el tandilense, entrenado por Marcelo Gómez, estaba en el casillero 1045 del ranking. Tras su actuación en la Copa Petrobras de Montevideo quedará muy cerca del puesto 150.

"Fue todo muy rápido. Empecé más allá del mil. Tenía que ir a la última hoja del ranking para verme. Ahora estoy jugando challengers y ya entro a todas las quallys de los ATP sudamericanos del año que viene", le contó a DyN este chico de 1,95 metros que piensa, por estos días, si va a ir a la clasificación del Abierto de Australia.

Contento porque fue invitado a la Copa Argentina de Tenis que se jugará a mediados de diciembre en el Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, este es el diálogo que mantuvo Del Potro con DyN:

- Pasaste más rápido que Nalbandian y Coria la etapa de los Futures

- Sí. Muchos me comentaron esa situación. Y también que subí más rápido que ellos en el ranking. Son mis espejos. Pero no debo apurarme, más allá de que este año ni siquiera pensaba jugar challengers. Que me haya sucedido esto no debe confundirme, ni marearme. Esto no quiere decir, al compararme con ellos, que yo algún día llegue a ser Top-Ten. Creo que, tomando en cuenta estos parametros, estoy en el buen camino. Y tengo que reforzarlo con trabajo.

- ¿Cuáles son los objetivos que manejás para el primer semestre del año próximo?

- Cambiaron. Pensaba jugar challengers en la primera mitad de 2006, pero los juguè este semestre. Debo ver bien en qué número termino este año. Pero creo que voy a jugar las clasificaciones de los ATP. El objetivo es, tal vez, acercarme lo más posible a los cien mejores y, si entro directo a Roland Garros, será fantástico. Esa, tal vez, sea la meta de máxima para ese lapso del año. Recién tengo 17 años...

- ¿Sentís presión?

- No. Creo que estoy lo suficientemente contenido como para no confundirme. Estoy rodeado de muy buena gente, que sabe aconsejarme. Mis padres me cuidan, me apoyan. me dan cariño. Y nunca me metieron presión. Además, cuando estoy en Tandil, mi ciudad, me siento mejor que nunca. Salgo con mis compañeros de colegio y con mis amigos. Me encanta eso. Lo tengo que dosificar con el tenis.

- ¿Como hacés con el colegio?

- Estoy dando libre. Tengo que dar entre fin de año y el comienzo del próximo cinco materias del segundo año del polimodal. Y diez el próximo año. Ya estoy pagando el viaje de egresados. Ese no me lo pierdo por nada del mundo.

- ¿Que debés mejorar en la faz técnica?

- El saque. Tengo que hacerle ajustes para aprovechar más mi altura. También debo trabajar más en lo físico. En la movilidad. No me gusta mucho ese trabajo pero Ignacio Menchón, mi preparador, lo sabe y entonces me lo hace lo más entretenido posible. Estoy en pleno desarrollo. Todavía no terminé de crecer. Y de fondo de la cancha no erro tantas pelotas, algo que fuí mejorando en estos últimos meses. Eso me da mayor tranquilidad a la hora de salir a la cancha.

- ¿Qué tiene Tandil que saca tantos jugadores. Zabaleta, Mónaco. Y ahora vos, Junqueira y González?

- El "Negro" Gómez, mi entrenador, trabajó con todos nosotros en la formación. Hace magia. Sabe muy bien cómo llevarnos. Como dosificarnos el trabajo. Además, creo que es importante el entorno de la ciudad. Como se vive. Allí no hay stress, ni apuro. Sé que en algún momento, profesionalmente hablando, me voy a tener que ir a Buenos Aires, pero intentarè demorar ese paso el mayor tiempo posible.

*Ljubica*
11-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the articles Eugenia - and congrats on winning the title Juan Martin :bounce: Here is a photo to celebrate!

josemanuel
11-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Congrats JMDP!!! Great tournament.
Good luck in Guayaquil!!!

*Ljubica*
11-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Some more pictures :)

Nathaliia
11-07-2005, 08:53 PM
it looks so cool
159 Del Potro, Juan Martin

Eugenia
11-08-2005, 05:04 PM
ATPTennis.com En Español (http://www.atptennis.com/es/newsandscores/news/2005/montevideo_sunday.asp)

Copa Petrobras - Montevideo, Uruguay

Noviembre 6 , 2005
Argentino Del Potro gana su primer challenger en Uruguay

http://www.atptennis.com/es/graphics/photos/180x250/delpotro_montevideo2.jpg
© Copa Petrobras

El tandilense Juan Martín del Potro, de apenas 17 años cumplidos el 23 de septiembre, conquistó este domingo, en una soleada tarde en el Carrasco Lawn Tennis de Montevideo, su primer título challenger. En la definición de la etapa uruguaya de la Copa Petrobras, Del Potro superó al serbio Boris Pashanski por 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (3).

El argentino, ubicado en el 1.077 lugar del Sistema de Entrada a principios de temporada, llegaba a la final en la 198ª posición. Campeón de tres torneos futures este año y finalista del challenger de Campos do Jordao, este lunes aparecerá entre los mejores 160. No sólo representa el mayor ascenso del año en cuanto a la cantidad de lugares: Del Potro es, además, el tenista más joven entre los mejores 200 del mundo. En la lista le siguen el británico Andy Murray y el serbio Novak Djokovic, ambos de 18 años.

En el camino a la final, Del Potro superó al brasileño Flavio Saretta, al italiano Fabio Fognini, al español Santiago Ventura, al argentino Máximo González y a Pashanski. En dicha final, tuvo un match point cuando lideraba 6-5 el tercer parcial, pero falló en la devolución de servicio. En el final, cerró con una volea de revés. Esta semana, intentará seguir en onda positiva, cuando se presente en la etapa ecuatoriana, en Guayaquil.

LO QUE LOS TENISTAS DIJERON

Del Potro: "Son los torneos que más se recuerdan, como cuando gané mi primer punto de ATP en la Argentina. En el segundo set pensé demasiado en que podía ganar mi primer challenger y me jugó en contra. El objetivo de este año era poder jugar clasificaciones de torneos de este nivel, y ya gané uno y perdí otra final. No lo puedo creer".

Nathaliia
11-08-2005, 09:59 PM
challenger in Ecuador...
1st round
Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) d. (Q) Fabio Fogini (ITA) 4-1 ret
:yeah:
now... against Marcos Daniel....

delsa
11-09-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm very late but i was off the board for a little time. :o

So...Congrats on winning in Montevideo, JMDP!!! :worship: :yeah:

The thing which is great is that it's not even that surprising. It's natural. It was just bound to happen sooner or later. ;)

Good luck in Guayaquil! :bounce:

Thanks everybody for the articles and pics. :p

Nathaliia
11-09-2005, 08:00 PM
poor lil injured thingie :sad:
3/6 4/6 to Marcos Daniel.

Daniel shouted "you idiot" to him during the match... the last game it was... and later at the press conference he said JMDP played like kamikaze.

I didn't expect it from Daniel.... I've heard JMDP got furious but they still shook hands.
That's what was written in the official challenger thread.

*Ljubica*
11-10-2005, 09:15 AM

Daniel shouted "you idiot" to him during the match... the last game it was... and later at the press conference he said JMDP played like kamikaze.

I didn't expect it from Daniel.... I've heard JMDP got furious but they still shook hands.

LOL - sounds entertaining! Thanks for the information.

delsa
11-12-2005, 04:28 PM

He'll get his revenge. Tha kamikaze thing isn't bad really. But you shouldn't say to any opponent he is an idiot especially when he's that young. :fiery:

Anyway, that's a good lesson. That will make him tougher and be of great use to him in his future. He'll get his revenge.

He should rest.

Thanks for the update Nathaliia. ;)

Nathaliia
11-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Aracaju 1st round challenger
JMDP def. julio Silva (BRA) 7/5 6/2

in 2nd round today - Boris Pashanski :eek: good luck ;)

Nathaliia
11-16-2005, 08:08 PM
he lost to Pashanski 6/3 4/6 5/7
:rolleyes:
good luck in buenos aires

*Ljubica*
11-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Here is a link to an article in today's paper. If anyone needs a translation I can try and do one later when I get home from work.

http://www.abchoy.com.ar/leerdeportes.asp?id=8119

Nathaliia
11-24-2005, 05:34 PM
mmm yes, i read it...
This thing Crazy-Dani of course I dislike his behaviour towards JMDP, but I don't negate the fact he would be a good hero of an article or even interview, if he might come to Wrocław challenger next year. Austria is playing DC then, but you never know if it will be really Koellerer who's gonna be in the team.
However, like someone wisely posted in challengers thread, next year JMDP will be winning ATP's and Koellerer will be still messing (literally speaking) in challengers.
Don't break down Juan Martin and enjoy the short holiday :wavey:

*Ljubica*
12-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Here is a link to a nice article in today's "La Nacion" - sorry it is Spanish but I don't have time to translate it now :sad: Yesterday, Juan Martin played against Agustin Calleri in the Copa Argentina - he lost, but the score was a very close 3-6, 6-3, 6-1. Seems Juan Martin played really well at first, but then tired against a much stronger and more experienced opponent. It's all good practice for him though :) I've also heard that he will be going down to Australia to try and qualify for the Aussie Open :) That isn't 100% confirmed yet - but looks likely.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/Nota.asp?nota_id=765282

alexito
12-20-2005, 01:09 PM
pictures juan del potro in buenos aires

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=57056&page=3

*Ljubica*
12-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Here is a link to an interview and article (in Spanish) which I found really interesting. I will try and translate it some time over the Christmas break when I have more time:-
http://www.tandilportandil.com.ar/leerdeportes.asp?id=8845

Btw - thanks for the pics alexito :)

Nathaliia
12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
hell'o
Rosie thanks for keeping the thread go when I'm gone and busy.
I'm sorry or Juan to lose in Copa Argentina in 1st round , so early but on the other side i am happy about Agistin's performance, he reached the final, right? i'll check in a minute who's the winner haha...

good luck Juanma for 2006.

*Ljubica*
12-29-2005, 12:02 PM
You're welcome Nathi :) By the way - Juan Martin has been given a Wild Card into the Buenos Aires ATP tourney in February.

reiko
12-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi!

Article about JMDP. It's in Japanese but there is a pic of him
back in 2002, playing World Junior. Click the pic to enlarge it.
http://www.kids-tennis.com/column/archives/2005/12/15/index.html#001025#more

Short clip from the same site:
http://www.kids-tennis.com/movie/kt3_mov/juanmartin.html

If you are going to use/post the pic/clip elsewhere,
please be sure to give a credit to:
www.kids-tennis.com.
Thanks. (I'm not involved in the site - just one of its visitors.)

reiko
12-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Forgot this. Pic from eleco.com.ar of the other day at a football exhibition.

Plastic Bertrand
12-31-2005, 02:46 AM
Juan will not be participating in the Aus Open qualifiers, his team said that he needs some rest after a long 2005 and he will attempt to qualify for Viña del Mar as his first tournament for 2006.

Nathaliia
01-05-2006, 04:37 PM
thanks Reiko :wavey: pic is cool !!!

Nathaliia
01-23-2006, 01:48 PM
:wavey:
JMDP plays Nicolas Almagro in 1st round of Santiago chall.
tough opponent, young but experienced.
i would be happy if Juanma could win anyway.

lau
01-30-2006, 12:05 AM
It´s from the atp site :tape: but it really surprised me seeing he´s the "one to watch" :) :yeah:

BTW, his first round of Viña del Mar (making his ATP debut, right?): DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG v PORTAS, Albert ESP ;)
Good luck Juan Martín!! :bounce:

Nathaliia
01-30-2006, 08:55 PM
yeah. it's ATP debut.... what an impressive win 6-2 6-2 !!! :yeah:

Eugenia
01-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Great win Juan Martín!!! :bigclap:

tennisace422000
01-31-2006, 04:37 AM
hopefully he can keep this up... :worship:

lau
01-31-2006, 05:43 AM
I heard a radio interview to him today.
(Calleri and Pico Mónaco were in the same room playing in the playstation... and bothering JM while he was interviewed by phone :rolleyes: It´s a long story... and not so interesting, but the sports journalists that made the interview said, after JM hanged up the phone, in a colloquial and "subtle" way that Calleri was a grow-up man and he was ready to act in "Friends" :devil: :lol: )
Anyway, he said some interesting things...
He played football since 4 and tennis since 7. When he was 12 or 13 he had to choose between a football tournament and a tennis one (I think that both were southamerican tournaments). He chose the tennis tournament and "they" (I supose it was a team tournament) played the final. He was chosen as the best player of the tournament. When he returned to Tandil the coaches told him that he had "talent" (that was not the exact word) for tennis. He quitted football and started to play only tennis. BTW, for those interested, he played as a 5 or 8 (no idea what that means :lol: But he said he liked Redondo..., or something like that).
They also asked him which sport does he prefer, just as a sport and he said that football. But he also said that he would only play football or tennis (he meant he obviously liked tennis too). He said he hardly plays football these days.
I was cooking so I couldn´t hear everything very well... :p They asked him if he had ranking goals for this year and he said that of course. He wants to enjoy as much as possible the Viña and B.A. tournaments because "they are close" and see what happends. He said that probably he`ll have to continue playing Challenger this year, but expect to play only ATP tournaments by 2007 . He said that at least those are the goals, right now...
The journalists also tried to ask about Gonzalez and the Chilean public "issue" (related to what happened in Viña last year, specially with Zabaleta), but he tried to avoid replying. :lol: Then he said that he didn´t think about it, etc, etc and continued avoiding the issue :lol:
He didn´t sound very convinced of defeating Gonzalez either :p :lol: But he said it was an experience and he wants to have more experience in this tournaments, etc, etc, etc...
He was asked about what he feels when he is named as the Arg. tennis hope and he said that it was obviously a huge compliment, but he also felt a big pressure. Although he tries not to think about it and keep on working on his tennis....

:scratch: I guess that´s all..., he was asked about other things, but not really important...or at least I don´t remember, or I couldn´t hear it (like what he said about the 1st round match)...
When they were finishing the interview he said he was sorry for what happened before (Calleri and Co. :o ) and thanked, in really sweet way ( :awww: ), the journalists for calling him (emphasizing the "Really, thanks for calling"). :)

EDIT: For the Argentines, it was in "La pelota no dobla" (Gantman, Ciccioli, Della Sala), FM Rock&Pop.

Nathaliia
01-31-2006, 10:01 AM
hahaha very funny and interesting 1000 kisses to Lau :kiss:

Pixie
01-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Forgotten to say bravo to JMDP. A match against Gonzalez could be funny, 2 kamikazes in action. The last to kill a linesman woul be a softie :)

Nathaliia
02-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Fernando Gonzalez just crashed Mazarakis down... :rolleyes:
But the contest with JMDP can be interesting. Loses the one who first opens eyes while playing a forehand.

ReturnWinner
02-01-2006, 12:56 PM
haha poor JMDP he will have a pretty difficult test againt feña :scared:

btw what is jmdp´s weight? ATP reports he is 78 kg whereas ITF he is 85 kg :confused:

Nathaliia
02-02-2006, 01:28 PM
I think we need to post this. Finally ATP found some info on this child:
PERSONAL
Full name is Juan Martin del Potro… Nicknames are Enano, Palito and Delpo... Began playing at age seven with his current coach Marcelo Gomez... Comes from same hometown (Tandil) as ATP pro Mariano Zabaleta …Father, Daniel, played semi-pro rugby in Argentina, and works as a veterinarian, and mother, Patricia, is a teacher… Has one younger sister, Julieta... Childhood idol was Pete Sampras and admires Marat Safin… Speaks Spanish and some Italian and English… Big supporter of Boca Juniors soccer team in Argentina and Juventus in Italy...Favorite surface is hard courts…Captured Orange Bowl 14s title in 2002 and played his last junior tournament at Roland Garros in 2005, losing to Murray in QF… Also runner-up at back-to-back junior tournaments in Mexico and Costa Rica...Says if he wasn't a tennis player, he would look to pursue a career in architecture…Fitness trainer is Ignacio Menchon and coached by Marcelo Gomez.

lau
02-02-2006, 01:51 PM
:yeah: Thanks, Nathaliia...

shotgun
02-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Hello, Del Potro's fans!

Here's a nice article I found about him (it was made when he was only 12 y.o.), I don't know if it was already posted here, but...

http://www.aplenotenis.com.ar/collage1.htm

ReturnWinner
02-03-2006, 03:26 AM
thanks for that ShotGgun
Juan Lost to gonzalez but the score was pretty tight 63 76 (4) that score is almost a win for me :D

Action Jackson
02-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Not that many people are aware of him, but they will be soon enough.

Nathaliia
02-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Hello, Del Potro's fans!

Here's a nice article I found about him (it was made when he was only 12 y.o.), I don't know if it was already posted here, but...

Hi Renato :D
Yeah yeah I know this article there's the photo which used to be in my atavar and sometimes comes back ;)
(I mean not directly on this page but main page of APleno ;) )

fini
02-03-2006, 12:35 PM
thanks for that ShotGgun
Juan Lost to gonzalez but the score was pretty tight 63 76 (4) that score is almost a win for me :D

:bigclap:It was a good match for Juan.Vamos!

Hendu
02-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I think he is ready to regularly play ATP Tournaments, although he will have to play some challengers to do that.

I am impressed by his game, specially his backhand, which he hits with great angles and very effectively down the line.

He seems to be a smart player, not just a big hitter.

And he has a lot of room for improvement.
Being that tall, his serve can be MUCH better (and I'm sure it will be), although it is not bad right now.
His net game seems to need some improvement too.

But this kid is going to be a dominant player in a couple of years.
I hope he can handle the pressure, there is going to be a lot of fuss around him.

Aguante_el_Gato
02-03-2006, 04:13 PM
... I am impressed by his game, specially his backhand, which he hits with great angles and very effectively down the line.

He seems to be a smart player, not just a big hitter.

And he has a lot of room for improvement.
Being that tall, his serve can be MUCH better (and I'm sure it will be), although it is not bad right now.
His net game seems to need some improvement too.

But this kid is going to be a dominant player in a couple of years.
I hope he can handle the pressure, there is going to be a lot of fuss around him.Agree about his SKILLS and his FUTURE, and about the things to improve (specially about his serve ;) ). I would only add that I think that he has to improve his lateral displacements in court. Sometimes he hits the ball being a little outside of position and time. As soon as he obtains it , he is going to be still much more dangerous

Action Jackson
02-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Juan will need to get stronger and is still developing phyiscally and he seems to be doing the right things and a mix of challengers and ATP events this year is a good ploy.

He doesn't need to be rushed at all and he will keep improving.

Pixie
02-03-2006, 04:49 PM
IHe seems to be a smart player, not just a big hitter.

Sorry for the remark I made above (I was refering to the kamikaze thing that Daniel said when they met each other) and thx for the description. The fact is that I haven't seen him in action yet because the only time, apart from the FO, he went in France I couldn't see him play. And I couldn't open the link of his match against Calleri in december.

Technically, can you tell me more about his relatively weak serve ? And what about his forehand ?

*Ljubica*
02-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Hello, Del Potro's fans!

Thanks for the link to this article :hug:

Hendu
02-04-2006, 02:36 AM
Sorry for the remark I made above (I was refering to the kamikaze thing that Daniel said when they met each other) and thx for the description. The fact is that I haven't seen him in action yet because the only time, apart from the FO, he went in France I couldn't see him play. And I couldn't open the link of his match against Calleri in december.

Technically, can you tell me more about his relatively weak serve? And what about his forehand ?

This is a translation of an extract of an article posted above.
It is the opinion Martin Jaite has of Juan's game.

Jaite is a retired player, former top ten, director of the ATP Buenos Aires and (a good) tennis commentator.

Here it is:

Mentality: He has a good head, this is perceived inside and outside the court. He prepares the matches well, and he doesn't back off against any situation, favorable or adverse.

Serve: He still has a lot of room for improvement, he can serve much harder. He should throw the ball forward.

Forehand: Is one of his strenghts. It is solid, powerfull. He generates good acceleration and handles the angles with perfection.

Volley: He doesn't go to the net continuously, because his shots from the back are enough to win. This will change when the quality of his rivals grows.

Backhand: His best shot. He takes the ball forward and with that he makes the difference (thats not exactly what it says, but I don't know how to translate "desequilibrar"), because he forces the rivals to react fast.

Legs: Besides his size, he moves well, although he will never be very fast. Because of his height you can't ask him to be Michael Chang.

I am sorry for the crapy translation, but I need more time and a dictionary to do it better.

Hendu
02-04-2006, 03:18 AM
I hope he develops into the first Argentine big server... in terms of height he has what its needed:

Del Potro 6'5'' (195 cm) (and probably still growing, I hope he stops by the way, being taller won't help his mobility)

6'5'' (195 cm)
Ancic
Philippoussis
Krajicek
Mirnyi

6'4'' (193 cm)
Ivanisevic
Rusedski
Safin

Of all these players, the onlyone who has better backcourt strokes is probably Safin.

Tallest Argentine players, and best servers (along with Calleri):

6'3'' (190 cm)
Chela
Acasuso

Juan will need to get stronger and is still developing phyiscally and he seems to be doing the right things and a mix of challengers and ATP events this year is a good ploy.

He doesn't need to be rushed at all and he will keep improving.

I agree, but every time I watch Del Potro play I get excited and anxious thinking about his potential, about the player he can be.

I just can't help it. :shrug:

Action Jackson
02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
I agree, but every time I watch Del Potro play I get excited and anxious thinking about his potential, about the player he can be.

You are a smart poster and I will explain it like this.

Del Potro has plenty of talent, but to build the house, one doesn't start with the roof and people develop at different speeds.

Hendu
02-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Del Potro has plenty of talent, but to build the house, one doesn't start with the roof and people develop at different speeds.

In the case of Del Potro I think his development is going to be faster than the one of the regular South American player.

I don't remember any other Argentine playing that good against professionals at his age. Not even Coria and Nalbandian who were also great juniors.

Although, this could be irrelevant.
I remember watching Gasquet's start in the ATP Tour being as young as Juan, but it took some more years than people expected for him to finally have some good results. If I am not mistaken, he had to go back to challengers, to keep growing and to get points to play ATP Tournaments.

As far as Juan's plan goes, he expects to play ATP Tournaments continuously in 2007, while this season he will play challengers too. Which I think it is the right thing to do, by the way... but I also think that Del Potro is going to surprise us, and start playing ATP tournaments regularly much earlier than what he expects, but thats just a feeling.

Pixie
02-04-2006, 01:41 PM
I remember watching Gasquet's start in the ATP Tour being as young as Juan, but it took some more years than people expected for him to finally have some good results. If I am not mistaken, he had to go back to challengers, to keep growing and to get points to play ATP Tournaments.

Thx for your explanations, I understand that it's not easy speaking about technic in english, and that's my problem too...Perhaps it's the reason why one doesn't speak about it that much on mtf which is a pity. And I do remember seing former player Jaite playing in the FO. Hope JMDP has got a good team like this mate to help him improve his game before everybody talk about him.

I've been following Gasquet's progression since he is 10 year-old, first time I saw him play. His game was almost perfect technically but he slept on his acquired knowledge. And as he grew he had to adjust his game to play against seniors. Yes he had to return to challlengers to forget all this mess around him and work at his game. The mix challengers/ATP tournaments seems to be generally the better for youngsters but that's not a rule for everyone, e.g Hewitt for nowadays players. I tend to believe that a good team can adapt their youngsters' year plan with what they gradually see...something that Donald Young's family didn't manage last year.

ReturnWinner
02-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Acasuso is a big server
Calleri has a pretty good serve too

I hope he develops into the first Argentine big server... in terms of height he has what its needed:

Del Potro 6'5'' (195 cm) (and probably still growing, I hope he stops by the way, being taller won't help his mobility)

6'5'' (195 cm)
Ancic
Philippoussis
Krajicek
Mirnyi

6'4'' (193 cm)
Ivanisevic
Rusedski
Safin

Of all these players, the onlyone who has better backcourt strokes is probably Safin.

Tallest Argentine players, and best servers (along with Calleri):

6'3'' (190 cm)
Chela
Acasuso

reiko
02-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Short clip of JMDP vs Gonzalez :
http://www.meganoticias.cl/2006/html/0302_1330_gonzalez.php

Sorry if already posted here or somewhere earlier.

Hendu
02-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Acasuso is a big server
Calleri has a pretty good serve too

Chela, Calleri and Acasuso have the best serves among the Argentines... but none of them are in the level of the players I posted above.

I really don't think Del Potro will ever serve like Ivanisevic, Krajicek or Rusedski, but I expect him to have a serve like f.e. Safin. A serve that will help him win a lot of "easy" points.

For a player as tall as Del Potro, having a big serve is essential if he wants to be a dominant player. If he doesn't take more advantage of his height, he won't be able to overcome his speed limitations.

Don't get me wrong, he could be a great player serving like he does now... but the ceiling would be much higher if he develops a better serve.

He is only 17 years old, he has a lot of time to do it.

Hendu
02-07-2006, 04:42 AM
Short clip of JMDP vs Gonzalez :
http://www.meganoticias.cl/2006/html/0302_1330_gonzalez.php

Sorry if already posted here or somewhere earlier.

Thanks for the clip.

there are only points won by Gonzalez there... :tape:

lau
02-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks Reiko :)
Thanks for the clip.

there are only points won by Gonzalez there... :tape:

:haha: :haha: I comes from a chilean url ;) :lol:

Nathaliia
02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
hello, thanx for the interesting discussion about JMDP's technic and Jaite about it :yeah:
even if i dont have time to post the "mom of JMDP" lil thing Nathaliia is always up to date whats happening to him.
also thankfully to you my friends :worship:

lau
02-11-2006, 09:37 PM
The Telmex Cup draw was made... Ferrero in first round. It would be so cool if he can win that one :cool: I think he has a chance...
If he wins that match, he´ll play against the winner of the Saretta-Kuerten match.
And if you don´t win, enjoy the crowd JM! :yeah: :lol:

marti_228
02-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Del Potro-Ferrero it's going to be a very tough match for JMDP, but I hope him to play well,enjoy the atmosphere and gain experience for future tournaments.

And I also think he has a chance to win.

*Ljubica*
02-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I think he has a good chance to win too :) Juan-Martin will also be playing doubles here with Juan Mónaco - good luck to them :)

Nathaliia
02-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Every match played in ATP is an experience. Yet, nobody is expecting victories. He doesn't have to defend many points, because he was playing futures events at this time.

Good luck against Ferrero, and of course reports from our friends from Argentina would be much appreciated.

Pixie
02-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Interesting tie to come...JMDP could take advantage of the fact that it's ferrero's first match on clay this year. BTW good luck.

Hendu
02-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Great match by Del Potro.

He lost to Ferrero 2-6 6-4 4-6.

But Juan Martín showed he is going to be really good.

For some stretches of the match he dominated Ferrero at will. He had his chances but couldn't take them.

I hope he has better luck with the draw next time.

Nathaliia
02-13-2006, 11:58 PM
yeah next time let's bagel him :rocker2:

anyway he seems too... "cry baby" to me... heh a boy with 195 cm said to cry after his second lost match in Bs As ? :shrug: get on well JMDP, we believe in you :yeah:

lau
02-14-2006, 01:25 AM
:lol: I felt sorry for him after the match... But he`ll get over it ;) That kind of reaction shows he is still a boy (btw, I didn´t see him cry, but I thought he was about to :lol: ). It was not a big deal, but I´m sure he felt the pressure, you know. I heard him saying so more than once (not about this match, but about all the hype around him), but he did play a good match today :yeah:
Good luck with the draw next time, Juanma :D , keep up the good work and take it easy! :bounce:
Many things can be improved, but the tennis is there and that could be seen in the 2º and 3º set today :)

delsa
02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Ohhh, i for one am not surprised by the fact that he cried...

Bad draws. That'll make him gain a lot of experience but that 'd still be great if he could be helped by luck a bit.

Good fight against Ferrero, JMDP! ;)

Eugenia
02-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I saw Juan Martín playing doubles with Juan Monaco in Buenos Aires, and his backhand is just awesome! :hearts: They lost the match against Martin/Vicente, but they were having so much fun together. His has a good serve too, but he needs to improve his volleys, that would make him a really dangerous player.
I hope he can win some matches in Brazil this week! :yeah:
Vamos Juan Martín!!! :bounce:

*Ljubica*
02-18-2006, 08:30 PM
I saw Juan Martín playing doubles with Juan Monaco in Buenos Aires, and his backhand is just awesome! :hearts: They lost the match against Martin/Vicente, but they were having so much fun together. His has a good serve too, but he needs to improve his volleys, that would make him a really dangerous player.
I hope he can win some matches in Brazil this week! :yeah:
Vamos Juan Martín!!! :bounce:
Thanks for the report. Juan-Martin and Juan come from the same hometown so I guess they have known each other for ages. It's nice that they can have some fun together on tour.

fini
02-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Good luck in Brazil.

Sagiel
02-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Good luck to JM lets see if he can win a MD match

Nathaliia
02-20-2006, 11:02 PM
yeah and congratulations for winning 3 matches and getting to MD :)

ReturnWinner
02-21-2006, 08:55 PM
I am sad JMDP but more sad coz he got injured ( he has tendinitis) :sad: :mad:
but at least the score was tight and i like Monaco Too :)

Nathaliia
02-21-2006, 09:58 PM
oh i didnt know he was injured :sad:

lau
02-22-2006, 01:29 AM
:sad: and ditto

josemanuel
02-26-2006, 09:34 AM
I thought he didn´t go to Acapulco because of that tendonitis, but I just read that he was given a WC in the main draw, replacing Guga who won´t play there. Good luck JMDP!!!!

lau
03-01-2006, 04:43 AM
Someone knows exactly what happened in Acapulco?... I guessed it was the tendonitis again, but I couldn´t find information about it.

EDIT: I found this article...., but I don´t know how accurate it is :unsure:

(...)Montanes defeated Juan Martin del Potro 6-2, 5-3 as Martin del Potro retired with an injured right wrist . (...)
link:http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=123953

Dragula.mp3
03-19-2006, 08:22 PM
There is some information about the kid? He is injury or playing some challenger?

Nathaliia
03-19-2006, 08:44 PM
he will play challengers now... in Mexico

had some time to get on with health, hopefully things are right again.

Dragula.mp3
03-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Ok, thanks for the data

Nathaliia
03-27-2006, 01:01 PM
'our child' to play Marcos Daniel (seeded 2 :scared: ) in Mexico City challenger.

it's not nice... he goes back to challengers to gain confidence and useful matches, and draws the good experienced challenger-player, seeded 2. But JMDP beat him last year so maybe he can do once again.

*Ljubica*
03-27-2006, 01:18 PM
'our child' to play Marcos Daniel (seeded 2 :scared: ) in Mexico City challenger.

it's not nice... he goes back to challengers to gain confidence and useful matches, and draws the good experienced challenger-player, seeded 2. But JMDP beat him last year so maybe he can do once again.
And he is playing doubles with "my child" Juan Mónaco :angel: - so I'm sure he will be having fun!

*Ljubica*
03-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Here are two photos from yesterday's match. Sadly he lost 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 :sad:

delsa
04-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the pics, Rosie! :)

Nice avatar, Dragula.mp3. ;)

marti_228
04-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Yesterday, he appeared on Zabaleta's tv programme tenis pro, he was preparing for his match against Gonzalez in Viña del Mar, and he has a black ipod nano, the same as me.;)

Nathaliia
04-07-2006, 10:43 PM
guess who made semis in Mexican challenger, today defeating Dick Norman 6-4 6-4 :cool:

marti_228
04-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Nice!!! Well Done Juan Martin:)

mechi
04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
hoy juega contra thiago alvez =P ( a las 10.30 hora de mexico)
a si quee suerte para el
y mañana juega la final de dobles

Nathaliia
04-08-2006, 07:50 PM
he won and will play in the final :dance:

it's a breaking news and we don't even know the score :scratch: just it was found under this link http://www.notimex.com.mx/w/e_depor...a_id=S&puerto=1

marti_228
04-08-2006, 07:57 PM
This is great! I hope we can have an all argentinian final and that Juan M could win his 2nd challenger

Nathaliia
04-08-2006, 08:52 PM
YES - plays Roitman

However, JMDP suffers of another injury - pain in the back :awww:

marti_228
04-08-2006, 10:07 PM
YES - plays Roitman

However, JMDP suffers of another injury - pain in the back :awww:

Yes, I know about his pain in the back because I read an article in the internet, he won 6/4 7/5 and started both sets being 0/2 but he could recover.

Roitman won 7/6 6/4

mechi
04-09-2006, 01:55 AM
SE IMPONE ARGENTINO DEL POTRO A BRASILEÑO ALVES Y ESTA EN LA FINAL
( 8 de abril de 2006, 11:31 AM)

Por Lucio García Estrada. Enviado

Aguascalientes, Ags., 8 Abr (Notimex).- El argentino Juan Martín del Potro, con un tenis magistral, derrotó hoy al brasileño Thiago Alves en dos sets con parciales de 6-4 y 7-5, para colocarse en la final del Challenger San Marcos 2006.

Ante una cancha principal del Club Campestre Aguascalientes, que como ha sido durante toda la semana lució pletórica, Del Potro, quien jugó todo el tiempo con un fuerte dolor en la espalda, cortó de tajo las aspiraciones de Alves por avanzar a la final de este torneo.

En base a un tenis poderoso desde el fondo de la cancha, el argentino de 17 años de edad comenzó abajo en el marcador 2-0 en el primer set, pero con una gran devolución y consistencia en su golpeo, regresó para doblegar a Alves.

Juan Martín, con un estilo vertiginoso movió a Thiago Alves por toda la cancha, pero este siempre lo exigió al máximo y en varias ocasiones lo superó con "dejaditas" que provocaron el alarido de la afición de Aguascalientes, que respondió para ver a estos grandes tenistas.

La gran devolución del bonaerense hizo estragos en el primer servicio de Alves, quien vio roto su servicio por tercera ocasión en el encuentro y con ello el argentino conquistó el primer set 6-4.

En la segunda manga, Del Potro nuevamente tuvo que remar contra la corriente, pues el brasileño se puso al frente en el marcador dos juegos a cero, pero la "Bestia" despertó cuando perdía 4-3, para remontar el marcador con espectaculares tiros de pase y un golpeo consistente.

Del Potro empató el partido 5-5 y con el servicio a su favor no desaprovechó la oportunidad, su poderoso saque apareció en la cancha para ganar el juego y ponerse arriba por primera vez en el encuentro 6-5.

Finalmente Alves no pudo soportar el desgastante golpeo de Juan Martín Del Potro, quien le rompió su saque para conquistar el partido y avanzar con ello a la final.

El jugador consentido de la afición de Aguascalientes platicó con Notimex al final del emocionante juego de semifinales, el cual superó a pesar de sus dolencias.

"Jugué muy bien, creo que tuve mi mejor partido, la espalda me dolió mucho, pero es normal han sido bastantes juegos la superficie es muy dura y Thiago me exigió al máximo, en los momentos clave mostré un gran tenis y el se equivocó".

Juan Martín Del Potro agradeció a la afición de Aguascalientes, la cual lo ha cobijado en este torneo con gritos desde la tribuna, y con lo cual se ha convertido en el favorito del torneo.

"Me han tratado muy bien, me alientan todo el tiempo, da gusto jugar aquí, me hacen sentir muy cómodo, es bonito tener al público de mi lado".

Finalmente el joven tenista espera a su siguiente rival, el cual saldrá de la otra semifinal entre el también argentino Sergio Roitman y el checo Jiri Vanek.

"Vamos a ver con quien me toca ahora, cualquiera que avance será muy difícil, pero me voy a entregar y a dejar todo en la cancha".

Dragula.mp3
04-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Vamos Del Potro caraj0!!!.

Del Potro def. Roitman 3-6 6-4 6-4 in the final of Aguascalientes.
Great run for him

maria87
04-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Bravo!! :worship:

saben cuándo Del Potro vuelve a jugar un torneo ATP, que no sea challenger?

mechi
04-09-2006, 08:53 PM
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ BIENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

VAMOSS DELPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

HAPPPY!!! VERY HAPPY....

Eugenia
04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Congratulations Juan for winning the singles and doubles titles!!! :bounce:
He reached his best career singles and doubles rankings this week: 130 & 219. Impressive! :bigclap:

marti_228
04-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Congratulations Juan for winning the singles and doubles titles!!! :bounce:
He reached his best career singles and doubles rankings this week: 130 & 219. Impressive! :bigclap:

Yes, that's great. I hope he can have good results and enter the top 100 before Roland Garros so he doesn't have to play quallies

*Ljubica*
04-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Here is a link to an article in the local Tandil newspaper, saying what a hero Juan-Martin is to all the kids growing up in the area :) http://www.tandilportandil.com.ar/leerdeportes.asp?id=12545

OddJob
04-28-2006, 10:22 AM
What's he up to now?

willis
05-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Hello!!!

I want to know more about Del Potro, I think is one of the feature stars of latinamerican tennis, does anyone could shre more info?

Thanks

marti_228
05-10-2006, 02:09 AM
There is already a thread with info about him.:)

Nathaliia
05-23-2006, 10:56 AM
He's playing Andre Sa in 1st round in RG quallies. Good luck, but I'm very nervous about this match!

*Ljubica*
05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
He's playing Andre Sa in 1st round in RG quallies. Good luck, but I'm very nervous about this match!
He better not lose to Sa :devil: I don't get to Paris until Thursday night and I want to see him play - so he better still be in the competition by then :devil:

Nathaliia
05-23-2006, 11:55 AM
1-6 3-3 is the current score :rolleyes: Somebody out there is getting spanked!

*Ljubica*
05-23-2006, 01:09 PM
1-6 3-3 is the current score :rolleyes: Somebody out there is getting spanked!
Don't worry - he came back to win 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 :) He obviously doesn't want to miss the opportunity of having me cheer for him at the end of the week :haha:

Nathaliia
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Haha seems you're right. Greet him from his 'mama' from Poland :p

This kid wanted a drama. Good that he survived!

*Ljubica*
05-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Haha seems you're right. Greet him from his 'mama' from Poland :p

This kid wanted a drama. Good that he survived!
Well I don't arrive until Thursday evening, but if he's still playing by Friday :unsure: then I surely will :) But guess if you're his "mama" from Poland then that makes me his "grandmama" from England and that makes me feel old :sad:

Pixie
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Glad to see JMDP won a tough first round. He hadn't played a lot of matchs recently so this one was far from given. As I can't go to Roland Garros this year JMDP, I ask you a favour nevertheless : win the next 2 matchs and try to be tossed against a french player so that I could see you on TV.

Nathaliia
05-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Guess who won today :p Against Maximo Gonzalez. Difficult match, but only 2 sets and the youngest player in the draw is through again. Good luck in the third round.

Eugenia
05-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Well done Juan Martin!!! :bounce:
I've found some pics of him in Roland Garros... enjoy! :cool:

Action Jackson
05-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Only 1 more match and he is in the MD, knowing his luck he will probably draw Federer in the 1st round.

Aguante_el_Gato
05-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Well I don't arrive until Thursday evening, but if he's still playing by Friday :unsure: then I surely will :) But guess if you're his "mama" from Poland then that makes me his "grandmama" from England and that makes me feel old :sad:Hi Rosie :wavey: Enjoy the match!!!

Sagiel
05-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Great result for JM today, lets hope he enjoys his first RG and maybe learn a thing or two.

Denaon
05-26-2006, 06:43 PM
WTG Juan Martin!! :D
Enjoy your first Roland Garros!! :bigclap:

*Ljubica*
05-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi Rosie :wavey: Enjoy the match!!!
Thanks :) He played well - though to be fair his opponent was not so good and made lots of unforced errors. I think he was very nervous (being French and all the crowd cheering for him) and he didn't perform well at all - but that still does not take away from JM's performance.

Action Jackson
05-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Well done Juan and good luck in the main draw.

Sagiel
05-27-2006, 07:16 PM
So its Del Potro Vs Ferrero (still better than drawing Federer), ATP Buenos Aires rematch, JM played Ferrero well there, maybe he can do it again this time.

mechi
05-29-2006, 04:37 AM
goo juan martin in Roland Garros!!

Nathaliia
05-29-2006, 09:30 AM
Not the best drawing I fear, but according to Michelle, JMDP is not losing his grip.

Nathaliia
05-29-2006, 01:12 PM
3-6 6-2 2-6 4-6 :tears:

He saved some matchpoints, but also didn't use the advantage in the last game (Ferrero served). It's a good performance anyway and maybe he'll be more lucky at the Wimbledon.

mechi
06-05-2006, 05:31 AM
JM in Roland Garros vs Ferrero.

mechi
06-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Juan Martin lose with tomas berdych 6-3/6-3 in the challenger of republica checa

web site of Czech Open --> http://www.czech-open.com/partneri.html

pics, jm in RG.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9104/bvdelpotro20060529gal108cc.th.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bvdelpotro20060529gal108cc.jpg)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7619/f035ah038yf.th.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=f035ah038yf.jpg)

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9017/tvdelpotro20060529gal106qq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6173/rg0600442jg.th.jpg (http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rg0600442jg.jpg)

marti_228
06-07-2006, 01:38 AM
He always gets awful draws.

mechi
06-07-2006, 02:04 AM
He always gets awful draws.

is true, in the atp bs as against ferrero, in roland garros, against ferrero again and now with berdych... tienee una mala suerte pobreee!!... ojala le vaya mejor en el proximo torneo que participe :)

*Ljubica*
06-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Here is a link to an article about Juan Martin in his local newspaper
http://www.eleco.com.ar/selarticulo.asp?idarticulo=81605

Nev
07-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Hola! Yo soy uno de los administradores de un foro de Juan Martin Del Potro.
Hace unos dias decidimos hacer un "mini fantasy".

Al foro entra la novia de Del Potro, quien vió sobre el juego, y nos ofreció poner de premio algo de él

este "algo de él", pareciera q va a ser la remera con la que jugó Biella (remera que sacó Nike especialmente para él), si quieren la pueden usar de camisón :P

cuac

y le queremos manguear una gorra tambien pero parece q está dificil la cosa

bueno, los invitamos a participar....

al q esté interesado clickeen en: www.jmdelpotro.crearforo.com

pd: no hablar del premio en el foro, xq suele entrar el mismo Del Potro y si se entera q la novia anda regalando cosas de él capaz q le cae un poco mal y no queremos armar quilombos Wink

ah! y para el premio hay que arreglar directamente con la novia para ver como conseguirlo...

Only for Argentina, I guess it's difficult if you are from other country...

Action Jackson
07-16-2006, 07:47 PM
He has qualified and will play Pavel in Stuttgart.

*Ljubica*
07-17-2006, 06:25 PM
He has qualified and will play Pavel in Stuttgart.
Yes - and I have been to two of his practice sessions in Stuttgart today, and he is looking good.

ufokart
07-19-2006, 05:15 AM
Juan won his match against pavel in 3 sets!

That's great news :bounce:

Good luck in the next round :yeah:

marti_228
07-19-2006, 05:23 PM
He won also against Chela.That's great!

He'll play against Simon or Mayer,so it's a winnable (?) match.:)

Aguante_el_Gato
07-19-2006, 05:26 PM
:bounce:

*Ljubica*
07-19-2006, 08:00 PM
I have been at both the matches in Stuttgart against Pavel and Chela. I am a bit short of time now as Internet connection is expensive here - but will post reports and pics when I get home. JMDP is great :bounce:

FerrersLinda
07-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Found this picture on the ATP-site.
I'm loving it amongst JMDP it has some of my fav. players.

black_sheep
07-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Juan's pics from Porsche Open :)
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/738/dsc03513sk7.jpg
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1413/dsc03523kw4.jpg

*Ljubica*
07-22-2006, 07:05 PM
OK - as promised - now I'm home from Stuttgart I will try and give you some reports and observations of JMDP from this tournament.

I have seen him play a couple of times before in Roland Garros this year - but this is the first time I've been able to watch more than a couple of matches in succession, - and I must say I was very impressed by what I saw :)

The matches against Pavel and Chela were extremely impressive. JMDP started badly (nervous I think), in the Pavel match and lost the 1st set.The crowd were supporting Pavel who lives in Germany and is married to a German girl - and it was a very hard match for him. But he fought very hard and kept his concentration well to level at 1 set all. After that, Pavel began to tire in the 36 C heat, and JMDP managed to keep his focus and concentration to go on to win - very impressive for one so young.

The match with Chela was almost the opposite. JMDP won the 1st set easily and was 3-0 in the second with a point for 0-4.........but Chela wasn't going to give up without a fight, and pulled back to 1 set all. Again- I was impressed by JMDP's fighting spirit and concentration. Chela was trying some "tricks" - complaining about line calls all the time, stopping play every few minutes :rolleyes: , but JMDP still held it together to win.

Sadly - in the match against Mayer, I feel it was "one match too far" for the youngster. He was tired after coming through qualifying and then winnng two long hard matches in hot conditions - and facing a German player for his first match on Centre Court was too much for poor JMDP. It was also the last match scheduled and was delayed even further by a thunderstorm - all things which can be difficult to deal with without experience - so I think it's not surprising that JMDP found it all a bit too much and lost easily 1-6, 0-6. He never stopped trying and fighting though - he was just tired :hug:

Noticed that he seems to be having some shoulder problems which is a little worrying in one so young. I guess that he is stll growing (very tall and still very young) - and maybe "outgrowing" his strength if that makes sense. However, JMDP is now being coached by Eduardo Infantino (who took David Nalbandian to the Top 5) - who is an excellent and experienced coach, so I'm sure he will keep an eye on things, and make sure he doesn't play too much, too soon and overtire his body while he is still so young.

I don't really take a lot of photographs at tournament, but here are a couple from Stuttgart - one from a practice session, and one from the Chela match.

Choupi
07-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Do you allow me to join in saying that I've also been impressed by JMDP this week in Stuttgart. I had actually seen only a few games of 1 of his RG matches. So I really didn't know him much before seeing him in Stuttgart. I hope the shoulder pb will be taken good care of by the coach. Here are some of the pics I took. They're from the Chela match.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/Choupi/Stuttgart%2006/784e8dd3.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/Choupi/Stuttgart%2006/c076390f.jpg

*Ljubica*
07-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks Choupi :hug: JMDP is in Umag at present. I understand he is still having a few problems with that shoulder :sad: so hope things get better for him.

*Ljubica*
07-25-2006, 06:47 PM
JMDP made good use of his Wild Card by winning against Raemon Sluiter 6-3, 6-2 today. He will now face Robin Vik, who was a surprise winner over Guillermo Coria today. Sadly I cannot be in Umag as planned as I have a couple of job interviews this week :sad: but I am wth JMDP and his team in spirit!!

Choupi
07-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the update Rosie. Seems the shoulder is better. Good. :)

*Ljubica*
07-26-2006, 09:59 PM
:woohoo: JMDP beat Vik - coming back from a set and a break down. It was a disastrous first set, and he then quickly went a break down in the second - but the boy is a fighter. Final score was 2-6, 6-4, 6-3. He will now face Stanislas Wawrinka - he is a great player and it will be a very hard match but all good experience for Juan Martin.

Choupi
07-27-2006, 11:03 AM
JMDP is a fighter. He's got great examples to follow among his country fellows for that. :) Wawrinka won't be easy to play. I wish I could see that match. The fight is promising. And you're right Rosie. No matter the outcome. It's all good experience for JM.

*Ljubica*
07-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Well it was a close match and JMDP has again proved he is a fighter. After losing the 1st set 1-6, he came back to take the second and was also a break up in the 3rd at one stage..............but Wawrinka is an excellent player and fought back - final score was 1-6. 6-2. 6-4. I undestand our boy got into a few problems after losing his break advantage in the final set, and had a point penalty awarded against him :sad: - but as we keep on saying - he is young and all that kind of stuff is down to experience. Hopefully he'll learn from it and keep calmer under pressure in the future. Well done to him anyway - quarter finals is a great result :)

Choupi
07-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes, it's a great result. Congrats to him. :)

Eugenia
07-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Some pics of Juan Martin - the first three pics are from today's match and the last one is from Stuttgart against Mayer. :)

*Ljubica*
07-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the pics Eugenia :hug:

Next week, JMDP plays in the Segovia Cgalenger in Spain. here is the draw:-

Verdasco, Fernando (ESP) Vs Vico, Uros (ITA)
Granollers-Pujol, Marcel (ESP) Vs González, Santiago (MEX)
Del Potro, Juan Martín (ARG) Vs Hernando, Eduardo (ESP)
Q Vs Bozoljac, Ilia (SCG)
Montañés, Albert (ESP) Vs Navarro Pastor, Iván (ESP)
Genaro, Javier (ESP) Vs Wessels, Peter (NED)
Q Vs Ouahab, Lamine (ALG)
Q Vs Norman, Dick (BEL)
Vicente, Fernando (ESP) Vs Becker, Benjamin (GER)
Saulnier, Cyril (FRA) Vs Carraz, Gregory (FRA)
Fraile, Gorka (ESP) Vs Prpic, Filip (SWE)
Cakl, Tomas (CZE) Vs Wang, Yeu-Tzuoo (TPE)
Lapentti, Nicolas (ECU) Vs Mertl, Jan (CZE)
Stakhovsky, Sergiy (UKR) Vs Muñoz, Joaquín (ESP)
Llodra, Michael (FRA) vs. Q
Burgsmuller, Lars (GER) Vs Schuettler, Rainer (GER)

I'm reliably informed that Eduardo Hernandez is very young and got a Wild Card into Segovia. He is 1543 in the world and has only just started in his career on the Futures Circuit, - so that should be easy enough - but Bozoljac will be hard. Good Luck Juan.

ReturnWinner
08-03-2006, 06:22 PM
del potro def bozoljac 75 75 nice win against a pretty big server

he will play likely verdasco in quarters

*Ljubica*
08-03-2006, 08:54 PM
del potro def bozoljac 75 75 nice win against a pretty big server

he will play likely verdasco in quarters
Yes - it was a good result :) Here is a link to a match report on the tournament site http://www.teniselespinar.com/noticias.asp?id=539 Juan is playing really well lately - I was very impressed with him in Stuttgart - his game seems to have developed very quickly from the way I saw him play in Roland Garros a few months ago. If it is Verdasco tomorrow, I think he has a very good chance. Verdasco is very erratic, and has already dropped a set to Santiago Gonzalez - he will be tired after a long match and obviously thinking ahead to his trip to the Toronto Masters' next week.

After this tournament in Segovia, JMDP he is due to play a Challenger next week in San Marino, and then over to the States for quallies for the US Open. I wish him luck.

PoderShileno
08-05-2006, 03:25 AM
del potro def verdasco :yeah:

Choupi
08-05-2006, 07:51 AM
:woohoo: That's great news!!!

*Ljubica*
08-05-2006, 12:43 PM
It was a very long and VERY tight match :eek: Final score was 6-7(3), 6-2, 7-6(8). A friend of mine who was at the match told me Juan played extremely well and kept his focus and concentration well in the difficult moments - despite the fact that Verdasco was the local crowd favourite. Later today (at 5.00pm) he plays Dick Norman in the semi final - I hope he is not too tired to make the best of this opportunity.The tournament website are saying really nice things about JMDP and continually calling him the "revelation" on the world tennis circuit - it is great to see :)

Choupi
08-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Revelation? Well, I like that. :)

*Ljubica*
08-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Revelation? Well, I like that. :)
You are not the only one ;) Anyway - good news :woohoo: Juan is in the Final in Segiovia now. He just defeated Dick Norman in another long, tough match in the semis. Score was 1-6, 6-3, 7-5. This is a great result against someone who is very experienced, with a huge serve and that plays well on hard courts, - so well done Juan. Tomorrow will be Juan's second Challenger Singles' Final of the year (he won in Mexico earlier in April) - so I hope he doesn't get too nervous and can win this one too. Good Luck Juan :banana:

mati2121
08-05-2006, 06:29 PM
You are not the only one ;) Anyway - good news :woohoo: Juan is in the Final in Segiovia now. He just defeated Dick Norman in another long, tough match in the semis. Score was 1-6, 6-3, 7-5. This is a great result against someone who is very experienced, with a huge serve and that plays well on hard courts, - so well done Juan. .:

He has won 2 challengers.
Montevideo 2005 and Aguascalientes this year

*Ljubica*
08-05-2006, 06:31 PM
He has won 2 challengers.
Montevideo 2005 and Aguascalientes this year
Yes I know - I realised as soon as I typed it and have altered it now :) Having a funny 5 minutes here!!!!

Choupi
08-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Great week for Juan. And I'd love to say, great summer. Hope he can get through tomorrow. His game and mental have improved a lot. He has the means now. So, good luck!! :)

ChinoRios4Ever
08-05-2006, 08:29 PM
JMDP :yeah:

Eugenia
08-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Wow Juan Martin!!! :woohoo: He amazed me everyday! :hearts:

*Ljubica*
08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
:woohoo: Juan won :banana: Final score was 6-4, 5-7, 6-4. Another very long and stressful match - Juan will deserve his week off now. Many congrats to him - and to Eduardo and Pablo who always work so hard :hug: I am very happy for them all!

Choupi
08-06-2006, 04:35 PM
:aparty: I'm so happy he won that event. Fair reward of his hard work. Well, the hard work of a whole team. They all deserve to be congratulated. :bigclap:

*Ljubica*
08-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Here is a short report of the match from the tournament website. For those who don't speak Spanish - it basically says the first set was very even, with both players serving well and only a few points here or there decided it. In the second set, JMDP had a few dubious line calls and lost his concentration -he went a break down early on, pulled back, but promptly lost serve again and lost the set. In the final set - both payers were very nervous and many errors were made on both sides because of this. JMDP lost his serve early on and had to have some treatment on his right shoulder after the 3rd game, but managed to break back and eventually came out the winner.

Evidently, both Federer and Nadal have won this Challenger in their early days and he hopes to emulate them. They call JMDP a "revelation" again - and say he is a definite star of the future and will be in the Top 10 in a couple of years for sure!!

http://www.teniselespinar.com/noticias.asp?id=556&ano=2006&offset=0

Choupi
08-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks for that Rosie. :)

*Ljubica*
08-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Juan receiving his trophy :) He looks a bit scared he will drop it I think :eek:

mechi
08-06-2006, 07:20 PM
piccc of delpo! :)

Choupi
08-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Juan receiving his trophy :) He looks a bit scared he will drop it I think :eek:
:lol: He better get used to receiving trophies. Looks like he's gonna get some more. ;)

Washa Koroleva
08-07-2006, 04:01 AM
He's so cute. Thank you for the pictures. :hug:

mechi
08-07-2006, 06:37 AM
El argentino Juan Martín del Potro se ha proclamado vencedor de los XXI Internacionales de Pista Rápida Villa de El Espinar Open Castilla y León que se han disputado en el complejo deportivo municipal de la Estación de El Espinar (Segovia), al derrotar al alemán Benjamin Becker en un disputado encuentro que se ha decidido en el tercer set, con un resultado final de 6-4, 5-7 y 6-4.
Juan Martín del Potro, con tan sólo 17 años, sigue los pasos de Roger Federer y Rafael Nadal que ya en su día ganaron en El Espinar, lo que supuso su definitivo pasaporte para la élite mundial.
El servicio se convirtió en el aspecto más decisivo durante los primeros juegos. Cuando cualquiera de los dos jugadores convertía su primer servicio se llevaba el punto con facilidad, pero cuando debían recurrir a su segundo saque, no lo conseguían con facilidad, ya que ambos jugadores son muy buenos restadores. En estos compases del encuentro pudieron verse numerosos saques directos, por parte de los dos deportistas.
Durante el primer set, Del Potro estuvo siempre muy seguro con su primer servicio, mientras que Becker, cuando se disputaban los últimos juegos empezó a tener dudas. Así, el argentino consiguió romperle el servicio en el décimo juego, adjudicándose el set por 6-4.
La segunda manga comenzó igualada, hasta que en el tercer set, el alemán rompió el servicio a Del Potro, aprovechando una doble falta de éste que le colocó con una bola de break que Becker no desaprovechó. En esta fase del partido, el argentino pasó sus peores momentos, algo desconcentrado y protestando varias decisiones arbitrales, lo que le llevó a cometer errores no forzados. El alemán supo dominar el juego en lo que iba por delante en el marcador, hasta el décimo juego, cuando Del Potro consiguió romperle el servicio igualando el encuentro. Becker le devuelve la rotura en el siguiente juego para colocarse nuevamente por delante y aprovechando su servicio para adjudicarse el segundo set.
En el tercer set, los jugadores salieron muy concentrados y con las ideas claras de lo que debían hacer. En el tercer juego, Del Potro comete dos doble faltas y un error no forzado que le dejaron en bandeja el juego a Becker, colocándose 2-1. En este momento, el argentino solicita la atención médica por molestias en su hombro derecho. En la reanudación del encuentro, Becker se impone con facilidad su servicio.
El descanso solicitado por Del Potro parece que tuvo su recompensa. El argentino consigue tres juegos seguido, minando la moral de su rival e igualando el encuentro, lo que le dio mucha confianza tras superar sus peores momentos del partido. La tensión aumentaba en la cancha, a medida que se acercaban los últimos juegos. Errores no forzados y grandísimos puntos se mezclaron hasta que, en el décimo juego, el argentino dispuso de tres bolas de partido, aprovechando la segunda de ellas para convertirse en el ganador del considerado como el mejor torneo Challenger del mundo.
Del Potro sigue así los pasos de los dos mejores jugadores del mundo en la actualidad, Roger Federer y Rafael Nadal, que también vencieron en El Espinar. El joven jugador, de sólo 17 años de edad, se confirma como el jugador revelación del circuito mundial. Su actual progresión, muy probablemente, le llevará a ocupar los primeros puestos del ránking mundial en los próximos años.
En la entrega de premios final, estuvo presenta la Consejera de Cultura y Turismo de la Junta de Castilla y León, Silvia Clemente que hizo entrega del galardón al campeón del torneo, el argentino Juan Martín del Potro. Por su parte, el presidente de la Real Federación Española de Tenis, Pedro Muñoz, le entregó el trofeo como campeón de los internacionales de España en Pista Rápida “Villa de El Espinar” Open Castilla y León. El director de la Obra Social y Cultural de Caja Segovia, Malaquías del Pozo, entregó el cheque por valor de 12.250 euros.; mientras que el alcalde de El Espinar, Juan María Martín Montejo, galardonó a Benjamin Becker con el trofeo al subcampeón del torneo. Al final, el director del torneo, Javier Martínez entregó el botellón de Segura Viudas a Del Potro como ganador del torneo.

http://www.teniselespinar.com/noticias.asp?id=556&ano=2006&offset=0

Hendu
08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
With the Segovia Challenger, JMDP moved up 16 places in the entry ranking...

http://www.lacalle-online.com/fotos/tenis050806.jpg

he is #116, with 384 points. Almost 30 points away from the top 100.

mechi
08-09-2006, 05:56 AM
jm hablaa en una nota de el diario clarin!! espero q les sirva ^^

http://rapidshare.de/files/28721846/REC001.WAV.html

besitoss

*Ljubica*
08-09-2006, 08:33 AM
jm hablaa en una nota de el diario clarin!! espero q les sirva ^^

http://rapidshare.de/files/28721846/REC001.WAV.html

besitoss
Thanks. Here is a link to an article - sorry it's in Spanish - will try and translate it later - but no time now http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1248953&fecha=20060809

marti_228
08-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks Rosie!
That article is so sweet.

*Ljubica*
08-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Here is another one - similar but longer. Among other things he talks about the fact he is still studying to complete his education, his ambitions for the future - and the fact he has no time for a regular girlfriend ..............yet :p

http://www.tandilportandil.com.ar/leerdeportes.asp?id=16242

Choupi
08-10-2006, 11:14 AM
He's got time to think about that. ;)

reiko
08-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi!

Here are some pics of JMDP, together with other Tandil guys:
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/reiko_nl/e/d0800074b3a3703fbc2e2b010b48553e

*Ljubica*
08-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi!

Here are some pics of JMDP, together with other Tandil guys:
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/reiko_nl/e/d0800074b3a3703fbc2e2b010b48553e
Thanks Reiko :hug: Great photos as always :)

reiko
08-10-2006, 11:04 PM
As promised - pics of JMDP from Roland Garros this year. ;)

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/reiko_nl/e/ffa71cf43dc5b6b8811f450db77da8b0